PDA

View Full Version : W.O.A.T.......................................enou gh with the Fluff.....haha

Bretsky
07-26-2018, 08:36 PM
I've heard too much of this GOAT lately. I thought it might be fun to use our memories to list the QB that we would consider at the WOAT...………...WORST OF ALL TIME...…...for the Packers...…..……..I have two in my mind...that there are many many candidates.

Anybody want to nominate any ?

As a general rule, I think we should set the criteria to those who started 3 games...maybe 3 games in a row for the Green Bay Packers.

What say you rattts….which QB's you wanna bag on ?

pbmax
07-26-2018, 08:42 PM
http://pfref.com/tiny/gZCxd

Joemailman
07-26-2018, 08:53 PM
http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/files/2014/03/7.-Jerry-Tagge.jpg

KYPack
07-26-2018, 10:14 PM
John Hadl MVP the season before in the NFC Goofball HC Dan Devine traded way too much to the LA Rams He played behind a solidRam line and had produced. He looked old and slow behind a young GB line. When he sat on the bench with his helmet off, he looked positively ancient, old and balding. He didn't do much of anything. 9 TD's vs 27 interceptions. There were many other flutterball tosses that could have been picks. Hadl was done when we got him. The Pack had thrashed the Rams a few weeks before the trade and Hadl's poor performance made it obvious he was washed up. A panic move by and unqualified HC & GM Dandy Don Devine.

Jerry Tagge... Hometwon boy does for shit. Jerry sold pop and snacks at Lambeau as a kid. But he couldn't finished his dream and be an effective NFL QB in his home town. JT came from a conservative, primative offense in Nebraska. He never came close to mastering the NFL game and everything related to a pro offense eluded him. He racked up 3 td's to 17 picks. Many of his passes were so far off no one could snag them. Years after retiring, Jerry admitted knew he'd never make it as a QB and hence decided to focus on getting loaded.

My 3rd QB is a Frankenstein player. Two stiffs in one A couple noodle arms that tried hard, produced a scooch more than your average bum, but not much more...
Randy Wright and David Whitehurst. Both were average armed guys in the bleak days. They couldn't produce, mediocre players who did their best, but it wasn't much. They played and started games from '77 - 88' Lots of years, but low production.the duo tossed for 59 TD's, but gave up 108 interceptions. Neither guy had the experience or arm strength to be successful in their position. 23 wins was all this duo could lash together for the Pack. That ain't getting it done.

I could add others, 2 guys and one youthful clone is plenty for now.

Cheesehead Craig
07-26-2018, 10:42 PM
Why just QB? I'm nominating RB Darrell Thompson. I've never seen a runner who could find the pile and straight at it as good as he did.

mraynrand
07-27-2018, 12:17 AM
Why just QB? I'm nominating RB Darrell Thompson. I've never seen a runner who could find the pile and straight at it as good as he did.

he was the same way on the basketball court.

Bretsky
07-27-2018, 07:20 AM
Was anybody really worse than Rich Campbell ? 6th pick in the draft if I recall.

Scott Hunter pretty horrible too

Tony Oday
07-27-2018, 07:23 AM
TBuck

pbmax
07-27-2018, 08:21 AM
he was the same way on the basketball court.

I sense a grudge. Or just memorable?

hoosier
07-27-2018, 08:23 AM
Hadl was pretty bad for the Packers but I am not sure he was historically bad. If you judge his performance by what the Packers gave up to get him, he was the WOAT. If you judge him compared to numbers other QBs were putting up in the same era, he was mediocre but did not sink to the level of all-time suckitude. He was bad during a decade when defenses dominated: BFD.

My nominee for all-time-worst GB QB is Randy Wright. At least the worst in any of our lifetimes. His numbers, which are as bad as Hadl's from a decade earlier, happened at the very moment that the passing game was reaching historic heights across the league, first with Fouts and then with Montana and Marino.

Fritz
07-27-2018, 09:09 AM
Hadl was pretty bad for the Packers but I am not sure he was historically bad. If you judge his performance by what the Packers gave up to get him, he was the WOAT. If you judge him compared to numbers other QBs were putting up in the same era, he was mediocre but did not sink to the level of all-time suckitude. He was bad during a decade when defenses dominated: BFD.

My nominee for all-time-worst GB QB is Randy Wright. At least the worst in any of our lifetimes. His numbers, which are as bad as Hadl's from a decade earlier, happened at the very moment that the passing game was reaching historic heights across the league, first with Fouts and then with Montana and Marino.

Was it Wright or Whitehurst who was QB when Lindy Infante got every Packer fan's hopes up with a 10-6 record in, what, '89?

mraynrand
07-27-2018, 09:18 AM
Was it Wright or Whitehurst who was QB when Lindy Infante got every Packer fan's hopes up with a 10-6 record in, what, '89?

Magic Man!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBXkQQofC90

Fritz
07-27-2018, 09:26 AM
Magic Man!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBXkQQofC90

Great video. Jeff Query was the original Jeff Janis.

run pMc
07-27-2018, 09:32 AM

Majkowski. That was the year of the Instant Replay game vs. Ditka.

I still remember the play where Darrell Thompson fumbled the ball vs. the Chiefs at the goal line, IIRC they drove the entire length of the field and scored. #badolddays

mraynrand
07-27-2018, 09:38 AM
I sense a grudge. Or just memorable?

I think I've told the story several times...I played against DT at the U in IM basketball. One game he steamrolled me on a charge. Knocked me halfway across the gym. But the nice guy that he was, he came over and helped me up. I was 3-4 inches taller, but he had 30-40 pounds on me at the time. Later in the game I took a hard foul from him on a three point play. Dude could not change direction to save his life. Absolute bull in china shop on the court.

Cleft Crusty
07-27-2018, 09:56 AM
One of the worst passers in GB history was Jug Girard. Girard was a versatile player, who was more a receiver, halfback and a punter, but apparently he could throw the pigskin through the air - just not with any discernible accuracy. His only year of appreciable starts was 1949 where he started 10 games and played in 12, the Packers posting an impressive 2-10 record. With all the caveats of that era of football, he still managed to complete 35% of his passes (62 of 175 attempts) and posted a 31.6 quarterback rating. Jug went on to play for the Lions, and had a nice stint as backup to the injured Doak Walker on the way to an NFL championship (he 'won' two titles with Detroit), but he only completed one more pass in five years of NFL stardom after leaving GB following the 1949 season. He's certainly not the worst athlete at QB the Packers have ever seen, but he rivals the worst in passing 'skills.'

Of all the QBs I've watched play in GB, none was worse than Jim "bounce pass" Zorn in 1985. And even Zorn completed 45% of his passes and was 3-2 as a starter. In fairness to Zorn, he was so far beyond finished, that he was only allowed to play in one more game his entire career after Green Bay. I imagine that Jim has no memorabilia from his year in Green Bay anywhere in his house.

hoosier
07-27-2018, 03:46 PM
We don't want to hear about guys who were beyond finished, the Hadls and Zorns, or obscure relics that nobody who knows how to use an internet forum has ever seen play. We want honest-to-goodness atrocity exhibitions, and Randy Wright is exhibit A.

mraynrand
07-27-2018, 03:59 PM
We don't want to hear about guys who were beyond finished, the Hadls and Zorns, or obscure relics that nobody who knows how to use an internet forum has ever seen play. We want honest-to-goodness atrocity exhibitions, and Randy Wright is exhibit A.

This time I want to hear no wubins, no weginalds, and no wudolph the wed nose weindeers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Lc86JUAwwg

Carolina_Packer
07-27-2018, 05:08 PM
Was anybody really worse than Rich Campbell ? 6th pick in the draft if I recall.

Scott Hunter pretty horrible too

Ronnie Lott was drafted after Rich Campbell in the first round...oy!

http://www.mynfldraft.com/1981/round1/

Look at the second round. Starr drafts Gary Lewis (sans the Playboys) and misses on Singletary and Howie Long...double oy!

KY, you can rightfully bang on Devine for the horrible Hadl trade, which put Bart behind the 8 ball from the get go of his HC/GM gig in 1975/76, but Bart didn't do himself any favors with some of his own drafts. The humanity of getting the Packer Report back in the day. Just praying that they'd have a winning season. The 1978 season was fun, but short-lived in that era. Then along came Dickey...

pbmax
07-27-2018, 06:53 PM
Rand's video cuts out before the decision that launched the T Shirt slogan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bf21NB4bdRw

http://i1.wp.com/80couches.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/bears-suck.jpg

bobblehead
07-29-2018, 12:21 AM
For me it is and always will be TJ Rubly. He made me look bad. On that fateful play call I reamed the coaching staff for trying to call that with a cold QB in that situation. A friend suggested he called an audible and I proceeded to tell my friend he was an idiot because no QB in history would be stupid enough to audible in that situation as it would guarantee he would be cut immediately. I took no satisfaction in him proving me right about being cut immediately and had to eat a lot of crow.

Anti-Polar Bear
07-29-2018, 12:39 AM
Brian Brohm. At least all the other abominations y’all mentioned previously were good enough to get into a game. Brohm never played a down for the Packers, despite being a 2nd rounder.

Conveniently, PB, a notorious Polar Bear suppoter, refuses to mention Brohm in his backup thread.

Brohm over Henne was Bowie over Jordan all over again. Thanks, Todd. :x

texaspackerbacker
07-29-2018, 11:34 AM
I don't know what I was doing during Rubley's brief stint, but I don't remember seeing him. Seneca Wallace I did see, and he stands out to me as the WOAT.

Anti-Polar Bear
07-29-2018, 12:42 PM
I don't know what I was doing during Rubley's brief stint, but I don't remember seeing him. Seneca Wallace I did see, and he stands out to me as the WOAT.

When I first heard of the name TJ Rubley, I thought he was a skate boarder, like Tony Hawk.

I wanted Todd to keep Vince Young. Eddie "The Hog" Lacy kept Pack in the Chicago game after A-Rod broke his collarbone. Wallace was an abomination in that game. Was at the game, and as I walked to the car in the aftermath, Bears fans would not stop chanting "Bear down!" Wanted to beat down a Bear Down fan, but I'm a peaceful person. The next week, Wallace landed on the IR after a series, I think - no one gave a flying fuck about losing Wallace.

But Wallace ain't the WOAT. Brohm is. Dude was supposed to be NFL ready coming out of Louisville. The poster Ballhawk wanted A-Rod traded. Brohm got beat out by some noodle arm. Brohm is now OC at Purdue. Abominable NFL QBs sure seem to end up in the coaching ranks. Hundley is an abominable QB, but he'd make a great coach someday.

Zool
07-30-2018, 01:23 AM
Brohm over Henne was Bowie over Jordan all over again. Thanks, Todd. :x

Please see my signature

pbmax
07-30-2018, 06:58 AM

You didn't see him for long though. :lol:

mraynrand
07-30-2018, 07:14 AM
Brian Brohm. At least all the other abominations y’all mentioned previously were good enough to get into a game. Brohm never played a down for the Packers, despite being a 2nd rounder.

In a way, this kind of eliminates him from discussion, because we're really going after worst guys allowed to play in actual regular season games, it seems. As in, the Packers sucked so bad, they allowed 'x guy' to actually run the show on Sundays.

Brohm is certainly on the short list of all-time worst TT picks though...

Rubley is just an aberration caused by two successive injuries in a single game. No Packer coach ever said 'hey, we're starting Rubley this season!' And even so, just prior to the awful play, he was 4-5 for 39 yards, and leading his team on a game-winning drive! lol

pbmax
07-30-2018, 10:25 AM
In a way, this kind of eliminates him from discussion, because we're really going after worst guys allowed to play in actual regular season games, it seems. As in, the Packers sucked so bad, they allowed 'x guy' to actually run the show on Sundays.

Rubley is just an aberration caused by two successive injuries in a single game. No Packer coach ever said 'hey, we're starting Rubley this season!' And even so, just prior to the awful play, he was 4-5 for 39 yards, and leading his team on a game-winning drive! lol

Cutting Rubley was dumb. I understand being furious, but he seemed better than functional. You just can't take risks like that at the end of the game.

mraynrand
07-30-2018, 11:30 AM
Cutting Rubley was dumb. I understand being furious, but he seemed better than functional. You just can't take risks like that at the end of the game.

QFT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UUeqvquXZI

mraynrand
07-30-2018, 11:34 AM
i'm sorry i couldn't resist

pbmax
07-30-2018, 11:35 AM
Favre was at least trying to win a game which was knotted, I think?

Rubley just had to not fumble and get some D help. He had the lead, didn't he?

mraynrand
07-30-2018, 11:56 AM
Favre was at least trying to win a game which was knotted, I think?

Rubley just had to not fumble and get some D help. He had the lead, didn't he?

no, it was knotted up at 24 apiece. Were at about MN 40 yard line I believe. Just a few more yards... Almost identical...

bobblehead
07-30-2018, 12:10 PM

Which is why I reamed the coaches for such a stupid play call!!

bobblehead
07-30-2018, 12:14 PM
no, it was knotted up at 24 apiece. Were at about MN 40 yard line I believe. Just a few more yards... Almost identical...

And it was 3rd and 1 with a long FG...55 yards indoors I just googled. Coach called sneak, TJ audibles and threw a pick. MN kicked game winner a bit later.

pbmax
07-30-2018, 12:52 PM
And it was 3rd and 1 with a long FG...55 yards indoors I just googled. Coach called sneak, TJ audibles and threw a pick. MN kicked game winner a bit later.

Didn't the Vikes abuse Grabby Smurf on that last series? Some of these events are running together for me.

Zool
07-30-2018, 01:05 PM

Merril disagrees

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=he0BIKmoq0s

mraynrand
07-30-2018, 01:10 PM
Didn't the Vikes abuse Grabby Smurf on that last series? Some of these events are running together for me.

I thought Carroll was Grabby Smurf. It was 1995, so T-Buck was already gone. Maybe Newsome was getting lit up.

pbmax
07-30-2018, 01:14 PM
I thought Carroll was Grabby Smurf. It was 1995, so T-Buck was already gone. Maybe Newsome was getting lit up.

I just remember one of the Vikings fun bunch triumvirate torching the back end. I want to say it was Jake Reed and either Grabby or T-Buck, but honestly it probably wasn't the Rubley game. Don't think Moss was there yet either.

It was capped by a play where they abandoned the deep middle and let someone stroll right through, on a play that leaving deep open was not a choice. I know, you are mesmerized by the exacting detail of my recollection :roll:

Joemailman
07-30-2018, 04:48 PM
I just remember one of the Vikings fun bunch triumvirate torching the back end. I want to say it was Jake Reed and either Grabby or T-Buck, but honestly it probably wasn't the Rubley game. Don't think Moss was there yet either.

It was capped by a play where they abandoned the deep middle and let someone stroll right through, on a play that leaving deep open was not a choice. I know, you are mesmerized by the exacting detail of my recollection :roll:

I believe you are talking about Sep. 26, 1993. Packers had taken a 13-12 lead. Jim McMahon was able to throw deep down the middle of the field with almost no time left because Buckley was nowhere to be seen. Vikings kicked a field goal for a 15-13 win. Not sure who the receiver was, but boxscore has Eric Guilford with 1 catch for 45 yards, so it was probably him. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199309260min.htm#all_player_offense

run pMc
07-30-2018, 05:31 PM
Merril disagrees

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=he0BIKmoq0s

My goodness those talking heads look stupid now. Brohm with more upside than Rodgers LOL

hoosier
07-31-2018, 09:19 AM
Instead of Worst Player of All Time, maybe this thread should be about the worst play of all time. That can be measured objectively, looking at differential between expected points before and after play. Rubley's fumble cost the Packers an expected 3.2 points https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199511050min.htm#all_pbp (According to the PFR play-by-play, which is incomplete, Jake Reed torched the Packers for a pair of 20+ yard receptions after the fumble, which was enough to get them into FG range. It would not be surprising if Buckley was responsible for those.) A 3.2 point swing by itself isn't all that unusual, but at the end of a close rival game it is catastrophic.

mraynrand
07-31-2018, 09:58 AM
It would not be surprising if Buckley was responsible for those.

It would be very surprising, actually.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BuckTe20.htm

hoosier
07-31-2018, 01:57 PM
You prove my point: Buckley turned left corner into a Superfund site that nobody could play.

mraynrand
07-31-2018, 02:36 PM
You prove my point: Buckley turned left corner into a Superfund site that nobody could play.

lol

(Actually, 'ol T-Buck had himself a very nice career, after he got out of GB and the shadow of Alvin Harper and Michael Irvin...)

Anti-Polar Bear
08-03-2018, 01:09 PM

Brohm lasted, what, a season in the Green and Gold? The Polar Bear despised cutting ties with his cubs. To be gone after a season, especially for a 2nd rounder in the Era of Todd, man, that makes Brohm the WOAT.

Zool
08-03-2018, 11:01 PM
Brohm lasted, what, a season in the Green and Gold? The Polar Bear despised cutting ties with his cubs. To be gone after a season, especially for a 2nd rounder in the Era of Todd, man, that makes Brohm the WOAT.

Didn’t Sherman carry 2 punters for a season?

mraynrand
08-03-2018, 11:19 PM
Didn’t Sherman carry 2 punters for a season?

When some GM carries three punters, it's going to break you.

Zool
08-05-2018, 09:23 AM
When some GM carries three punters, it's going to break you.

At the same time, this moron will orgasm to a pic of Sherman

mraynrand
08-05-2018, 10:52 AM
At the same time, this moron will orgasm to a pic of Sherman

Just assume he’s trolling and it’s easy to ignore or at least grab what amusement you can.

Zool
08-06-2018, 01:16 AM
Just assume he’s trolling and it’s easy to ignore or at least grab what amusement you can.

His trolling is laced with his actual beliefs. That’s the maddening part.

mraynrand
08-06-2018, 07:18 AM
^^^ 95% of what's said on TV during the draft is worthless. Maybe 99%.

Anti-Polar Bear
08-06-2018, 09:39 AM
"Trolling" used to be a psychological disorder that mainly defined psychopaths, sociopaths and anti-social socialists. But then comedians of all races started "trolling" in their acts. Soon thereafter, the phenomenon became widely accepted in the MSM. Today, the good, normal folks of planet earth all have trolled at some point in their meaningless existences, especially within the anonymity of cyberspace. There are good trolls and bad trolls.

Source: Dr. John Holmes, MD, PhD, Medical Doctor of Psychiatry, Professor of Psychology, University of Southern California

mraynrand
08-06-2018, 09:45 AM
"Trolling" used to be a psychological disorder that mainly defined psychopaths, sociopaths and anti-social socialists. But then comedians of all races started "trolling" in their acts. Soon thereafter, the phenomenon became widely accepted in the MSM. Today, the good, normal folks of planet earth all have trolled at some point in their meaningless existences, especially within the anonymity of cyberspace. There are good trolls and bad trolls.

Source: Dr. John Holmes, MD, PhD, Medical Doctor of Psychiatry, Professor of Psychology, University of Southern California

https://youtu.be/wSGkBWYDmrM

Anti-Polar Bear
08-06-2018, 10:01 AM
Hey Rand, why not put on your Cletidus Hunt Packer jersey and go check out the Browns camp? We might get to see what you look like on Hard Knocks.