PDA

View Full Version : new kickoff rule

Harlan Huckleby
08-03-2018, 11:56 AM
This is old news that was probably already discussed by the losers who hang out in this forum in May. Be that as it may....

• The kickoff team must line up with five players on each side of the ball (five players, the kicker in the middle, and five more players. Previously, a team could line up four players on one side and six on the other.

• The players on the kickoff team cannot line up any deeper than one yard off the ball, which is placed at the 35-yard line. Previously, players could line up five yards off the ball and get a running start.

• At least two players must line up outside of the yard-line number and two players between the inbound line and yard-line number. Previously, at least three players on the kickoff team had to line up outside each inbound line.

• At least eight players on the kickoff return unit must line up in the 15-yard “setup zone” prior to kickoff, and only three can remain outside of that setup zone. Previously, all kickoff return players only had to be behind their restraining line. This rule moves players on the return unit closer to the ball to reduce the speed and space on the play.

• No wedge blocks are permitted. Previously, two-man wedge blocks were allowed. This change limits the blocking schemes permitted by players on the return unit.

• The ball also is dead if it’s not touched by the receiving team in the end zone. The ball would simply be ruled a touchback.

All looks good to me. I'd be fine if they got rid of kickoffs completely, they rarely are interesting.

Only question I have: doesn't this make onsides kicks harder?

Anti-Polar Bear
08-03-2018, 12:55 PM
Good post, Harlan.

Wanna know what would make the "kickoff" interesting, and at the same time, all but annihilate injuries on good, normal kickoffs? Have the kicker "free kick" the rock for ball placements. For example, if the kicker makes a 55 yard, uncontested free kick, and the other team starts at the 20; a 60 yarder, the 15, and so on. Miss and the return team starts at the 25 by default, or maybe the 30.

As for onsides, put the ball on the "kicking" team's 40 and make it 4th and 15. If the kicking team gains 15 or more yards, or the "return team" commits a penalty that results in the chain gang moving the chains, the kicking teams keeps the ball. If not, the return team gets the rock at the spot where the kicking team last was officially downed. For example, if the GAB throws a bomb perfectly to D-Adams, he whom once upon a time, couldn't catch a cold while standing naked on the south pole with the mighty Emperor Penguins, but D-Adams drops it as it was hot, the "return team" gets the rock at the 40; complete a 10 yards pass, the 50.

And wanna know what else needs to be annihilated? The Pistol Force. When I was a young un, I was a shutdown corner. My coaches tried to preach the Pistol Force to moi, but I was like, Fuck that shit, yo! Imma shutdown corner. Just put me on an island and lemme do my thing! Whatever the heck the Pistol Force is, it can't be good for football, and society as a whole for that matter.

Harlan Huckleby
08-03-2018, 01:58 PM
Bear, your alternative kickoff makes my head spin. It sounds like a halftime contest for charity. But if we go there, maybe just let a fan chosen by lottery kick the ball from the 20 and the ball is taken where it stops rolling. Or better yet, replace the kickoff with an NBA style jump ball at the 50 yard line.

KYPack
08-03-2018, 03:18 PM
Good post, Harlan.

Wanna know what would make the "kickoff" interesting, and at the same time, all but annihilate injuries on good, normal kickoffs? Have the kicker "free kick" the rock for ball placements. For example, if the kicker makes a 55 yard, uncontested free kick, and the other team starts at the 20; a 60 yarder, the 15, and so on. Miss and the return team starts at the 25 by default, or maybe the 30.

As for onsides, put the ball on the "kicking" team's 40 and make it 4th and 15. If the kicking team gains 15 or more yards, or the "return team" commits a penalty that results in the chain gang moving the chains, the kicking teams keeps the ball. If not, the return team gets the rock at the spot where the kicking team last was officially downed. For example, if the GAB throws a bomb perfectly to D-Adams, he whom once upon a time, couldn't catch a cold while standing naked on the south pole with the mighty Emperor Penguins, but D-Adams drops it as it was hot, the "return team" gets the rock at the 40; complete a 10 yards pass, the 50.

And wanna know what else needs to be annihilated? The Pistol Force. When I was a young un, I was a shutdown corner. My coaches tried to preach the Pistol Force to moi, but I was like, Fuck that shit, yo! Imma shutdown corner. Just put me on an island and lemme do my thing! Whatever the heck the Pistol Force is, it can't be good for football, and society as a whole for that matter.

You weren't a shutdown corner, but you are certainly nuts.

red
08-03-2018, 06:03 PM
yes, make the game even more complicated and harder to understand

just what the nfl needs

mraynrand
08-03-2018, 11:31 PM
Bear, your alternative kickoff makes my head spin. It sounds like a halftime contest for charity. But if we go there, maybe just let a fan chosen by lottery kick the ball from the 20 and the ball is taken where it stops rolling. Or better yet, replace the kickoff with an NBA style jump ball at the 50 yard line.

How about a spinning dart board with the various starting field positions on 'em? Or better David Stern could pick balls from a drum on the JumboTron while we watch in suspense. Holy Crap, the Packers start on the Patrick Ewing yard line!

KYPack
08-04-2018, 09:36 AM
There is another rule change this season (I think) that can really affect the game. We all know the feet first slide rule. The refs spot the ball when the QB slides feet first at the point where the qb started the slide. PFT had an article today that the rule is changed. Now it is applied whether the QB slides OR dives the ball is spotted where he started his dive or slide. AND the rule applies to all players. Any ball carrier is down where they start their dive or slide. This is a big thing. It would negate many plays and is a huge change.

The notice about this change doesn't state whether it's experimental in the Pre-season or in effect for the whole year. The implication is that this is the rule for the year.

If it is, it could be the biggest can of worms the NFL has opened in many a year.

texaspackerbacker
08-04-2018, 11:47 AM
You would just about have to go to college rules that way - down is down, contact or not. I would say that is a step in the wrong direction.

red
08-04-2018, 11:51 AM
There is another rule change this season (I think) that can really affect the game. We all know the feet first slide rule. The refs spot the ball when the QB slides feet first at the point where the qb started the slide. PFT had an article today that the rule is changed. Now it is applied whether the QB slides OR dives the ball is spotted where he started his dive or slide. AND the rule applies to all players. Any ball carrier is down where they start their dive or slide. This is a big thing. It would negate many plays and is a huge change.

The notice about this change doesn't state whether it's experimental in the Pre-season or in effect for the whole year. The implication is that this is the rule for the year.

If it is, it could be the biggest can of worms the NFL has opened in many a year.

so, no more jumping over the line for a TD or diving for the endzone?

are the guys going to be wearing flags this year too? that would eliminate the excessive contact that comes from 2 hand touch

red
08-04-2018, 11:52 AM
How about a spinning dart board with the various starting field positions on 'em? Or better David Stern could pick balls from a drum on the JumboTron while we watch in suspense. Holy Crap, the Packers start on the Patrick Ewing yard line!

we aren't too far away from that right now

Harlan Huckleby
08-04-2018, 12:00 PM
You would just about have to go to college rules that way - down is down, contact or not. I would say that is a step in the wrong direction.

That's what KY's explanation sounded like to me. ANY player starts a slide, their down.

I see that this changes the game a bit, but I don't understand how it will really be a big deal. I doesn't make the game that much less violent, if that's what you are getting at.

Harlan Huckleby
08-04-2018, 12:03 PM
so, no more jumping over the line for a TD or diving for the endzone?

what do those plays have to do with sliding?

red
08-04-2018, 12:05 PM
That's what KY's explanation sounded like to me. ANY player starts a slide, their down.

I see that this changes the game a bit, but I don't understand how it will really be a big deal. I doesn't make the game that much less violent, if that's what you are getting at.

the rule applies to ALL players for slides AND dives

so, no more diving for that first down

and i would have to imagine we now have to figure out if guys are diving forward or falling forward. can't wait for those instant replay reviews and the debate that will follow. "was his intent to fall forward? is the ball placed where the players first foot left the ground, or the second foot?"

ah the fun

red
08-04-2018, 12:13 PM
what do those plays have to do with sliding?

from KY

Now it is applied whether the QB slides OR dives the ball is spotted where he started his dive or slide. AND the rule applies to all players. Any ball carrier is down where they start their dive or slide

red
08-04-2018, 12:15 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQNFj2QIBoo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiDlZG_ptEk

favre would have been down at the 3. game over

elway also wouldn't have gotten that first down

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssrkObXkGbM

Harlan Huckleby
08-04-2018, 12:20 PM
OK, I see. I had assumed the ball was dead at the point where the diving player hit the ground. But in theory, the rule change would be the ball is dead when they leave their feet.

I didn't see that because it is such a crazy idea. If they went that far, it would be stupid. If they referee it that way, it will never stick.

red
08-04-2018, 12:29 PM
and another awesome rule

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/08/04/get-ready-for-offsetting-penalties-when-two-players-run-head-first-into-each-other/

if both players lower their head, there will be offsetting penalties

so, nothing will happen, other then getting to run another dangerous play

KYPack
08-04-2018, 12:31 PM
Boys (and Pug), I don't want to give the impression that I have any answers on this rule. This is the first I've heard about the rule change. It's not really a rule change, but a "point of interest". We are all learning about this now.

Here's some of the post from PFT>>>

Quote on

In 2018, the NFL is considering a player to have given himself up if he dives head first, the same way a player has given himself up when he slides feet first. That means a player can’t be hit after he goes into a head-first dive, and it also means the ball will be spotted at the point where the player began to dive, rather than at the point where the player finished moving forward.

“A quarterback does not have to slide feet first to be considered to be giving himself up,” the league’s online rules say. “Regardless whether the slide is feet first or head first, as long as he gives himself up, he should receive the protections afforded to him as a player in a defenseless posture.”

Quote off

I doubt a full interpretation this rule will last, but we'll see.

pbmax
08-04-2018, 01:01 PM
Just outlaw tacking with the helmet. Go back to 1981 when headhunters were shunned. Tell Atwater and Easley that we are sorry, but in return you get to stay in the HOF. Coaches brought this on trying to perfect the art of the turnover, but its time to put the genie back in the bottle.

Back the LOS up a half yard on each side, only center within a yard of the ball.

Done.

And bring back stick 'um and tear away jerseys.

https://cdn-s3.si.com/s3fs-public/styles/marquee_large_2x/public/2014/07/stickum.jpg?itok=iEzFm7eE

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/df/51/17/df5117b541d27034dd790662d7ed4ad0.jpg

Fritz
08-04-2018, 02:16 PM
Boys (and Pug), I don't want to give the impression that I have any answers on this rule. This is the first I've heard about the rule change. It's not really a rule change, but a "point of interest". We are all learning about this now.

Quote on

In 2018, the NFL is considering a player to have given himself up if he dives head first, the same way a player has given himself up when he slides feet first. That means a player can’t be hit after he goes into a head-first dive, and it also means the ball will be spotted at the point where the player began to dive, rather than at the point where the player finished moving forward.

“A quarterback does not have to slide feet first to be considered to be giving himself up,” the league’s online rules say. “Regardless whether the slide is feet first or head first, as long as he gives himself up, he should receive the protections afforded to him as a player in a defenseless posture.”

Quote off

No means no, I suppose.

mraynrand
08-04-2018, 11:38 PM
Just outlaw tackling with the helmet.

This is pretty simple and what some of us have been saying for some time.

pbmax
08-05-2018, 07:55 AM
This is pretty simple and what some of us have been saying for some time.

I could even find a video of Chris Spielman demonstrating the newly illegal technique with two Badger defenders a couple of years ago.

Seriously, the fact that this isn't taken seriously in a fine indication of what the underlying problem is.

Anti-Polar Bear
08-06-2018, 09:48 AM
You weren't a shutdown corner, but you are certainly nuts.

I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell, to paraphrase Red's favorite 90's band, Matchbox20.

So Kentucky, just spell it out for us already! What the fuck is the Pistol Force?

If it's so popular, how come we've never heard Aikman said, "Boy, Dick "General" Sherman sure is shutting down Crabtree with the Pistol Force technique." Or Collinsworth go, "Capers' Pistol Force D is so predictable, Stafford can smell it from a mile away!"

Harlan Huckleby
08-06-2018, 11:23 AM
I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell, to paraphrase Red's favorite 90's band, Matchbox20

In bluegrass it's "I ain't broke but I'm badly bent."

red
08-06-2018, 03:51 PM
Ummm, no

Just no

MadScientist
08-06-2018, 04:15 PM

Quote on

Quote off

It's pretty easy to tell the difference between dropping to the ground head first to end the play and diving for extra yards. Rodgers will be dinged by this as he often goes to the ground head first to get the extra yards.

texaspackerbacker
08-06-2018, 05:10 PM
I'm luke warm if not outright opposed to all this safety crap in general, but it seems this taking away of the extra yards by diving thing is a step backward in terms of safety. The main reason for diving head first, almost as much as with feet first sliding by QBs, is to avoid a big hit to the knees, gut, back, or even the head. Now, apparently the mandate is to stay up if you want that couple extra yards and take the punishment. That kinda smacks of the old days - for better or worse.

KYPack
08-06-2018, 07:46 PM
I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell, to paraphrase Red's favorite 90's band, Matchbox20.

So Kentucky, just spell it out for us already! What the fuck is the Pistol Force?

If it's so popular, how come we've never heard Aikman said, "Boy, Dick "General" Sherman sure is shutting down Crabtree with the Pistol Force technique." Or Collinsworth go, "Capers' Pistol Force D is so predictable, Stafford can smell it from a mile away!"

Tank, you should know this already. You were supposedly a "shutdown corner". Because you were always "on an island". When the defense had their meetings, where were you, in a phone booth in the parking lot?

Bullshit artist.

Anti-Polar Bear
08-07-2018, 02:42 PM
Tank, you should know this already. You were supposedly a "shutdown corner". Because you were always "on an island". When the defense had their meetings, where were you, in a phone booth in the parking lot?

Bullshit artist.

I must've been napping during the meeting in which they lectured us about the Pistol Force.

Seriously, it appears that no one other than you know what the hell the Pistol Force is. Pb pretends to know it, cos he wants us to think he has superior football knowledge. In truth, he's just as clueless as everyone.

Hell, I sent Nutz, a football coach, a Facebook message 'bout the Pistol Force, and he replied saying, and I quote: "What the fuck is the Pistol Force? But if there's an annual due, I'm paying."

Anti-Polar Bear
08-07-2018, 03:02 PM
In bluegrass it's "I ain't broke but I'm badly bent."

Hey Harlan, what's with the avatar? I thought you were MaxitheTaxi.

Joemailman
08-07-2018, 08:22 PM
Just outlaw tacking with the helmet. Go back to 1981 when headhunters were shunned. Tell Atwater and Easley that we are sorry, but in return you get to stay in the HOF. Coaches brought this on trying to perfect the art of the turnover, but its time to put the genie back in the bottle.

Yep. Watch film of Nitschke and you won't see him lowering his head to make a tackle. He just engulfed guys and threw them to the ground. And he didn't miss many tackles because he saw what he was tackling.