PDA

View Full Version : TED talk

Harlan Huckleby
08-06-2018, 11:31 AM
I noticed on family night that Ted was on the sidelines with his goofy hat. The announcer said he was on the scouting team, except some other word - development?

Why would a long time GM want to keep working under his replacement? Sorry if this is old news.

pbmax
08-06-2018, 11:39 AM
I noticed on family night that Ted was on the sidelines with his goofy hat. The announcer said he was on the scouting team, except some other word - development?

Why would a long time GM want to keep working under his replacement? Sorry if this is old news.

He always said when he retired as GM he wanted to go back to scouting.

I don't want to sound morbid, but I suspect if Ted stopped working he would be lost. Maybe worse.

mraynrand
08-06-2018, 11:45 AM
Guys like TT don’t retire. They leave their office in a pine box.

Harlan Huckleby
08-06-2018, 11:50 AM
He always said when he retired as GM he wanted to go back to scouting.

I don't want to sound morbid, but I suspect if Ted stopped working he would be lost. Maybe worse.

Actually I admire him. He loves his work, and is not driven by ego. Not a lot of big shots could do this.

He's eligible for a lot of travel and meal discounts now, so it all works.

RashanGary
08-06-2018, 12:02 PM
Actually I admire him. He loves his work, and is not driven by ego. Not a lot of big shots could do this.

He's eligible for a lot of travel and meal discounts now, so it all works.

A lot of people who are deeply attached to the competitiveness of ego cannot understand ted Thompson. They project and assume their ego onto him. But yeah, I think he enjoys just being a part of. He’s at peace. It’s what Jesus wanted for humanity but people refuse to embrace.

call_me_ishmael
08-06-2018, 12:24 PM
The fact he is so involved makes me believe this really was a planned transition all along and that he wasn't forced out or deemed incapable. I get wanting to keep working but scaling it back a bit. It's not like he's short on money, etc, and I am sure they take good care of him anyway. If the situation is as I believe it is, I am sure he is prideful that he transition plan was executed and he is happy to see one of the people he deemed capable taking over the reigns.

gbgary
08-06-2018, 12:30 PM
he's still in charge.

Joemailman
08-06-2018, 07:27 PM
The fact he is so involved makes me believe this really was a planned transition all along and that he wasn't forced out or deemed incapable. I get wanting to keep working but scaling it back a bit. It's not like he's short on money, etc, and I am sure they take good care of him anyway. If the situation is as I believe it is, I am sure he is prideful that he transition plan was executed and he is happy to see one of the people he deemed capable taking over the reigns.

I think maybe he was forced out in the sense that the decision was made that he didn't have the energy to do the job of GM as well as he once had. Of course, that doesn't mean he's lost the ability to scout.

That said, I have a feeling that having a top DC again will show that maybe TT hadn't slipped as much as some think.

Harlan Huckleby
08-06-2018, 08:13 PM
The GM should have to take a wonderlic every year and the results presented at the packer stockholders annual meeting.

I'd also like to see a 3-cone drill number for the head coach just so we know they aren't letting themselves go.

Joemailman
08-06-2018, 08:26 PM
The GM should have to take a wonderlic every year and the results presented at the packer stockholders annual meeting.

I'd also like to see a 3-cone drill number for the head coach just so we know they aren't letting themselves go.

Why? You think MM can't handle the 3 Cone Drill?

https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/b/3-icecream-cones-18364525.jpg

Freak Out
08-06-2018, 08:26 PM
he's still in charge.

Deep Pack.

KYPack
08-06-2018, 08:48 PM
I think there was a plan, to phase Ted back into scouting & the Murph went with it a little early.

TT looked a little spacier every time you saw him in the last year and a half or so.

Harlan Huckleby
08-06-2018, 09:09 PM
Ted was a special teams demon & linebacker in the 1970s. Huh.

mraynrand
08-06-2018, 10:02 PM
Why? You think MM can't handle the 3 Cone Drill?

hahahahahaha! Is there a three for one deal at the Golden Corral?

3irty1
08-06-2018, 10:35 PM
Ted was never one to retain a guy too long. I'm sure that includes himself. But, he's a weirdo with no discernible life at all outside of football. No matter how many millions he's made over the years, it's hard to imagine him going home to anything other than an 800 square foot apartment with cheap carpet and blank white walls. In my mind he owns only one spoon. He bicycles to work rain or shine but in the garage is a pristine 1995 Honda Civic EH2 hatchback, not the fun one but the 1.5L engine that makes 50mpg. The radio has never been turned on even once. Just never occurred to Ted.

Of course a guy like that is going to happily ask for demotion. Someday he'll relieve himself of his scouting job and ask to be a grounds keeper. If the man was ever not lost in thought long enough to have an ego, he'd have nothing to prove anyways. Sure the jury might be out on Ted among NFL fans but in his bubble of actual NFL professionals he's Elvis. I think this new job is the Ted Thompson equivalent of a retirement home.

Zool
08-06-2018, 11:01 PM
hahahahahaha! Is there a three for one deal at the Golden Corral?

http://www.johnnyprimesteaks.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/DSC07100.jpg

call_me_ishmael
08-06-2018, 11:16 PM
I think maybe he was forced out in the sense that the decision was made that he didn't have the energy to do the job of GM as well as he once had. Of course, that doesn't mean he's lost the ability to scout.

But then he was essentially fired, don't you think it'd be very difficult to be as involved as he appears to be right now to a previous subordinate? I *thought* he was forced out at well, but now I'm not so sure. I literally thought he had the token title to complete his contract and get a golden parachute to go away. That doesn't seem like that's the case at all!

I think if he wanted to scout, he could scout for any number of teams. I guess I think that everything went according to plan.

mraynrand
08-06-2018, 11:30 PM
but in the garage is a pristine 1995 Honda Civic EH2 hatchback, not the fun one but the 1.5L engine that makes 50mpg.

not a chance

RashanGary
08-07-2018, 02:08 AM
I suspect, behind the scenes, the Packers viewed gute as the last guy they had who could really do the job. Ted Thompson, for the good of the team, agreed to step down so the Packers could retain gute.

With Mark Murphy experienced in his job and Russ Ball in his..... on top of Ted Thompson being around as a scout who will grind and grind and has a knack for finding talent....... Gute gets a nice transition into a really good NFL gig.

I’m guessing in the history of taking over NFL GM jobs, there’s never been a less stressful assimilation to the job. All he did was switch offices and a few job responsibilities and still has his predecessor/friend around to warmly guide him through any uncertainty..... and now he gets the “balls of steel” final say. If I had to estimate, the guy is probably fucking his wife and his mistress with a sense of aggressive purpose, fiery even. And he’s probably sleeping like a baby when he’s done. Every time you see gute, he looks well rested with a general aura of “life’s is good” radiating off of him. That guy really is living the fucking dream.

And you know, every time that new punter punts the ball, Gute is going to get a surge of aggression pumping through his veins coupled with a very sure and powerful erection. Gute is the poster boy for male health.

Harlan Huckleby
08-07-2018, 04:29 AM
But, he's a weirdo with no discernible life at all outside of football.

Still waters run deep - sometimes anyway. Quiet weirdos are sometimes interested and interesting people.

When I saw Ted on sidelines looking a little spacey, I had this sick thought that maybe he really has gone batshit crazy. So they made him a "scout". His phone is not actually connected. The video he is "reviewing" is from the 1970s. Everybody greets him in the hallway, " Morning, Scout", with a little salute.

pbmax
08-07-2018, 08:39 AM
Ted was never one to retain a guy too long. I'm sure that includes himself. But, he's a weirdo with no discernible life at all outside of football. No matter how many millions he's made over the years, it's hard to imagine him going home to anything other than an 800 square foot apartment with cheap carpet and blank white walls. In my mind he owns only one spoon. He bicycles to work rain or shine but in the garage is a pristine 1995 Honda Civic EH2 hatchback, not the fun one but the 1.5L engine that makes 50mpg. The radio has never been turned on even once. Just never occurred to Ted.

Of course a guy like that is going to happily ask for demotion. Someday he'll relieve himself of his scouting job and ask to be a grounds keeper. If the man was ever not lost in thought long enough to have an ego, he'd have nothing to prove anyways. Sure the jury might be out on Ted among NFL fans but in his bubble of actual NFL professionals he's Elvis. I think this new job is the Ted Thompson equivalent of a retirement home.

Its a spork. Why have three utensils when two will do?

The big question is plastic and paper used a couple of times and thrown away (lots of garbage) or one plate and one cloth napkin?

pbmax
08-07-2018, 08:42 AM
Partial, he might be sticking around or he might be here just a year. In addition to his other quirks, Ted is the kind of guy who might not want to collect a paycheck for not working. I would be surprised, but not stunned, to see Ted walk away after he gets Gute through the season and started on draft prep.

Justin, I think Murphy is eminently capable of that move. Getting Ted kicked upstairs or sideways to retain Gute or Ball seems exactly like his kind of move. But I also think a terrible season is a good time to do housecleaning (see Capers, Dom).

Anti-Polar Bear
08-07-2018, 01:40 PM
I suspect, behind the scenes, the Packers viewed gute as the last guy they had who could really do the job. Ted Thompson, for the good of the team, agreed to step down so the Packers could retain gute.

With Mark Murphy experienced in his job and Russ Ball in his..... on top of Ted Thompson being around as a scout who will grind and grind and has a knack for finding talent....... Gute gets a nice transition into a really good NFL gig.

I’m guessing in the history of taking over NFL GM jobs, there’s never been a less stressful assimilation to the job. All he did was switch offices and a few job responsibilities and still has his predecessor/friend around to warmly guide him through any uncertainty..... and now he gets the “balls of steel” final say. If I had to estimate, the guy is probably fucking his wife and his mistress with a sense of aggressive purpose, fiery even. And he’s probably sleeping like a baby when he’s done. Every time you see gute, he looks well rested with a general aura of “life’s is good” radiating off of him. That guy really is living the fucking dream.

And you know, every time that new punter punts the ball, Gute is going to get a surge of aggression pumping through his veins coupled with a very sure and powerful erection. Gute is the poster boy for male health.

lol

Tex is reading your post and he's like, at least the German Shepherd bangs his wife and mistress. The Polar Bear, on the other hand...

3irty1
08-07-2018, 02:00 PM
not a chance

Too veteran of a car for Ted?

3irty1
08-07-2018, 02:04 PM
Its a spork. Why have three utensils when two will do?

The big question is plastic and paper used a couple of times and thrown away (lots of garbage) or one plate and one cloth napkin?

You only need all the utensils if you have some diversity in your diet. I'm betting Ted's only meals consist of gray nutrient broth.

mraynrand
08-07-2018, 02:05 PM
I remember TT talking about a couple sport/muscle cars and an Escalade. I think he once owned a crappy green Ford Maverick. Our family had one of those way back. I think that thing was made with rust.

mraynrand
08-07-2018, 02:07 PM
You only need all the utensils if you have some diversity in your diet. I'm betting Ted's only meals consist of gray nutrient broth.

I bet he sells star destroyer parts for it too.

Anti-Polar Bear
08-07-2018, 02:12 PM
Btw, Todd might be egoless, the antithesis of Ayn Rand, but he certainly has sacrificed personal happiness for professional gain. In a society in which a man is measured by his wealth, and in a league in which Michael Sam was discarded faster than the speed of light, it's understandable that the Polar Bear did what he did. But still, isn't true happiness the object of the human life?

RashanGary
08-07-2018, 02:19 PM
But still, isn't true happiness the object of the human life?

I guess each person makes their own mind up on that. I would say to contribute as best one can until death is the purpose of life.

Anti-Polar Bear
08-07-2018, 02:24 PM

Todd sells plastic?

(Btw: Paul McBeth is a damn good disc golfer. Dude shot 18 under during an 18-holes tournament round a few weeks ago, which was showcased on Sportscenter! And if anyone thinks throwing Frisbee is easy, I dare you to go buy a disc and see if you could throw it further than the GAB can throw a football!)

https://i0.wp.com/www.bestdiscgolfdiscs.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Innova-Star-Destroyer-Blue.jpg?fit=600%2C600&ssl=1

Anti-Polar Bear
08-07-2018, 02:29 PM
I guess each person makes their own mind up on that. I would say to contribute as best one can until death is the purpose of life.

That's so Marxist. Welcome to the far left, Harrell. It's an awesome place to be, and never stop fighting the good fight. lol :tup:

mraynrand
08-07-2018, 02:43 PM

Every movie in every cinema is about death. Death sells.

Zool
08-07-2018, 02:43 PM

Undrafted RB? One quarter portion

https://medias.spotern.com/spots/w640/8419-1532336916.jpg

3irty1
08-07-2018, 02:51 PM
Still waters run deep - sometimes anyway. Quiet weirdos are sometimes interested and interesting people.

When I saw Ted on sidelines looking a little spacey, I had this sick thought that maybe he really has gone batshit crazy. So they made him a "scout". His phone is not actually connected. The video he is "reviewing" is from the 1970s. Everybody greets him in the hallway, " Morning, Scout", with a little salute.

I won't take being an interesting guy away from Ted.

I actually find the thought comforting that folks at the Packers would care enough to conspire against Ted like that. He'd get to spend the rest of his time in the comfort of the familiar with a sense of purpose, however illusory.

I had a great uncle who never had kids and outlived his wife. He spent his last 10 years in a home. He wandered off at one point so they moved him into this lockdown wing. He became a natural experiment on the effects of no stimulus on the aging mind. Nurses said he'd never even turned on his TV. When I visited him, he'd be lost for the first half hour or so. Then slowly you could tell parts of his brain would start coming online. By the end of a visit he'd be talking about experiences in WWII, he'd be talking about the details of his investments, talking about the ballistics of different rifle cartridges, explaining how to machine tricky parts, etc. Really seems like his last 10 years didn't have to be like that. Wish someone would have given him a fake job.

Radagast
08-07-2018, 02:51 PM
I remember TT talking about a couple sport/muscle cars and an Escalade. I think he once owned a crappy green Ford Maverick. Our family had one of those way back. I think that thing was made with rust.

My 1st car was a Gold 1970 Ford Maverick. It was a 6 cyl. and had a 3 speed column shifter. It served me well in my Junior / Senior High School years and through my first year of college. I never knew about the fuel tank danger until years after I had sold the car. I still hold fond memories of that car as it was in it that I became a man. Every vehicle I owned after that was made by GM.

mraynrand
08-07-2018, 02:52 PM
Todd sells plastic?

(Btw: Paul McBeth is a damn good disc golfer. Dude shot 18 under during an 18-holes tournament round a few weeks ago, which was showcased on Sportscenter! And if anyone thinks throwing Frisbee is easy, I dare you to go buy a disc and see if you could throw it further than the GAB can throw a football!)

https://i0.wp.com/www.bestdiscgolfdiscs.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Innova-Star-Destroyer-Blue.jpg?fit=600%2C600&ssl=1

I can. I was so dominant at one point that they originally called Brodie Smith the ‘next MrAynRand’

3irty1
08-07-2018, 03:10 PM
Btw, Todd might be egoless, the antithesis of Ayn Rand, but he certainly has sacrificed personal happiness for professional gain. In a society in which a man is measured by his wealth, and in a league in which Michael Sam was discarded faster than the speed of light, it's understandable that the Polar Bear did what he did. But still, isn't true happiness the object of the human life?

I wouldn't say that Ted sacrificed personal happiness. Happiness is a not just comfort and pleasure for most people; otherwise we'd all be aspiring heroin addicts. Happiness has a great deal to do with the story you tell yourself about how your life has gone. Ted has plenty to be satisfied with.

Anti-Polar Bear
08-07-2018, 03:11 PM
I can. I was so dominant at one point that they originally called Brodie Smith the ‘next MrAynRand’

You don't run as much, but disc golf is more difficult than ultimate football.

Anti-Polar Bear
08-07-2018, 03:35 PM
I wouldn't say that Ted sacrificed personal happiness. Happiness is a not just comfort and pleasure for most people; otherwise we'd all be aspiring heroin addicts. Happiness has a great deal to do with the story you tell yourself about how your life has gone. Ted has plenty to be satisfied with.

Chris Cornell had a successful career. Didn't prevent ole Suicide from catching ole Chris. Unhappiness? Mental disorder?

Regardless, I don't know too many folks hiding in a closet who are truly happy.

Anti-Polar Bear
08-07-2018, 03:52 PM
I won't take being an interesting guy away from Ted.

I actually find the thought comforting that folks at the Packers would care enough to conspire against Ted like that. He'd get to spend the rest of his time in the comfort of the familiar with a sense of purpose, however illusory.

I had a great uncle who never had kids and outlived his wife. He spent his last 10 years in a home. He wandered off at one point so they moved him into this lockdown wing. He became a natural experiment on the effects of no stimulus on the aging mind. Nurses said he'd never even turned on his TV. When I visited him, he'd be lost for the first half hour or so. Then slowly you could tell parts of his brain would start coming online. By the end of a visit he'd be talking about experiences in WWII, he'd be talking about the details of his investments, talking about the ballistics of different rifle cartridges, explaining how to machine tricky parts, etc. Really seems like his last 10 years didn't have to be like that. Wish someone would have given him a fake job.

Sometimes I ponder whether it's nobler to die young and robust than gray and impotent.

3irty1
08-07-2018, 04:01 PM
Chris Cornell had a successful career. Didn't prevent ole Suicide from catching ole Chris. Unhappiness? Mental disorder?

Regardless, I don't know too many folks hiding in a closet who are truly happy.

Folks who are hiding in a closet are by definition hard to know. Whether through family and relationships or through one's oeuvre, we're all trying to gain some degree of immortality by ensuring we're remembered. When we say we've achieved happiness or not, most of what we're talking about is the state of our legacy and Ted's has been secure for some time. Now he can stare unblinkingly at college athletes while nursing a bottle of water.

Radagast
08-07-2018, 04:30 PM
Folks who are hiding in a closet are by definition hard to know. Whether through family and relationships or through one's oeuvre, we're all trying to gain some degree of immortality by ensuring we're remembered. When we say we've achieved happiness or not, most of what we're talking about is the state of our legacy and Ted's has been secure for some time. Now he can stare unblinkingly at college athletes while nursing a bottle of water.

Not all seek immortality or a legacy. As for getting old, the lucky among us live to achieve senior status and see the advances as well as the tragedies while time marches on. As for those of us that could use a friend, I say be a friend.

call_me_ishmael
08-16-2018, 10:25 PM
if you're looking for a surprise, the Packers could be it. While the coaching staff may tinker after the season, including possibly OC Edgar Bennett likely getting head coach interviews, it is expected to have minimal changes. The front office, however, is a different story. GM Ted Thompson is under contract through 2018, but this could be the year he steps aside and becomes a senior scouting adviser. If Green Bay has success in the playoffs, that possibility increases. There are a few reasons why: First of all, Director of Football Operations Eliot Wolf is coveted and he'll have opportunities to interview as a GM elsewhere. The organization could risk losing him if he's not promoted. Second of all, CEO Mark Murphy still hasn't hired his own guy, and he's been around the organization much more this year as he studies things from the inside. There are plenty of talented people in the Packers front office -- VP Russ Ball, Director of Player Personnel Brian Gutekunst and Senior Personnel Executive Alonzo Highsmith among them. And this could be the year Thompson steps aside to make way for them.

Jan 1st, 2017. So a year before he transitioned to the new role, Rapoport basically called it. Sure seems like the plan all along.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000766647/article/bears-expected-to-stay-the-course-with-john-fox?campaign=Twitter_atn