PDA

View Full Version : Bret Hundley

Bretsky
08-19-2018, 09:33 PM
What will GB do with Brett Hundley ?

Bretsky
08-19-2018, 09:39 PM
GB gave up a former 1st rounder for Kizer; he's making the team. I don't see a ton of difference between the two. There are a several backups I'd rather have than either.

But I think the Browns wanted to dump Kizer and GB wanted to dump Randall. I doubt either wanted to give up much in the form of draft picks so the deal was proabably just made.

I don't get keeping Hundley as a #3, but I don't know if there is much of a market for him either.

So what does GB do ?

mraynrand
08-19-2018, 09:41 PM
You couldn't get a roll of tape for Hundley. Kizer still has a chance to be a competent NFL backup, maybe more.

Harlan Huckleby
08-19-2018, 09:53 PM
I think they will release Kiser. As bad of a decision as that might be, even worse would be to hold on to both projects. The best option is to release Hundley, but all signs are they think they can make chicken salad out of chicken shit.

Radagast
08-19-2018, 09:55 PM
I can see GB keeping both QBs.

pbmax
08-19-2018, 10:27 PM
Hundley traded for 7th round conditional. Boyer on PS. Or Taysom Hill if the Saints cut him to sign Boyer.

texaspackerbacker
08-20-2018, 12:00 AM
Hundley is a better QB than Kizer. I'd like to see (but don't expect) Kizer traded - 3rd or 4th or 5th rounder, whatever. True, we gave up a former first rounder for him, but Randall peaked last year and was/is due to drop off - IMO. That and we had way too many CBs anyway.

Assuming the detractors of Hundley are right about his trade value diminishing, then Kizer should be more tradeable even though he is not as good as Hundley - thus, it's logical to trade Kizer.

I voted for the keep 3. The poll was flawed, though, as it should have had "other" or a choice of keep two with Hundley as the back up.

bobblehead
08-20-2018, 12:02 AM
Hundley traded for 7th round conditional. Boyer on PS. Or Taysom Hill if the Saints cut him to sign Boyer.

Yep, I looked at this and said the saints can only roster so many of our project QBs. This is the year we get one through.

Hundly for a used jock strap. Kizer is backup and Boyer makes it to PS.

mraynrand
08-20-2018, 06:43 AM
I wonder if the same group of veterans who wanted Randall tossed off the team wanted Hundley to get a chance to compete in camp. Something like that must be going on, otherwise I can't see any reason they didn't send him packing in the off-season. Most people don't enjoy collecting their failures and keeping them close-by. I should know - that's why I booted my kids out the door at 18.

red
08-20-2018, 07:26 AM
i think you need to stop calling randall a "former first rounder"m like we gave up some huge talent to get kizer

randall was a massive bust who peobably would have been cut if we hadn't found someone willing to trade for him

pbmax
08-20-2018, 07:29 AM
i think you need to stop calling randall a "former first rounder"m like we gave up some huge talent to get kizer

randall was a massive bust who peobably would have been cut if we hadn't found someone willing to trade for him

Going to be interesting to see if he does better at safety.

Joemailman
08-20-2018, 08:07 AM
Release him. Any team looking for a backup QB know the Packers are going to release at least 1.

mraynrand
08-20-2018, 08:16 AM
Going to be interesting to see if he does better at safety.

Dude has plenty of physical skills. If they can access his brain case in Cleveland, he could do quite well.

mraynrand
08-20-2018, 08:26 AM
One thing to note: I think Stubby was using whatever specific offense he designed for Hundley on at least one drive. You can see that it will be an offense heavy in check-downs, draws and quick/short pass patterns. Every time there is a call for a longer pass, it all breaks down. Much of that appears to be due to lousy blocking, but there's also miscommunication and 'tuck and run' tendencies. For multiple reasons, with Hundley in there, there is no deep game.

ThunderDan
08-20-2018, 08:46 AM
One thing to note: I think Stubby was using whatever specific offense he designed for Hundley on at least one drive. You can see that it will be an offense heavy in check-downs, draws and quick/short pass patterns. Every time there is a call for a longer pass, it all breaks down. Much of that appears to be due to lousy blocking, but there's also miscommunication and 'tuck and run' tendencies. For multiple reasons, with Hundley in there, there is no deep game.

There is no deep game with Hundley because he stinks.

I posted in another thread that twice he had WR that had beat their man downfield and he didn't let the ball fly. One he threw out of bounds and the other he threw a sideline comebacker that Burnett was then able to recover and knock the ball away.

Hundley is limited and will not make the roster this year.

Pugger
08-20-2018, 09:01 AM
Hundley is a better QB than Kizer. I'd like to see (but don't expect) Kizer traded - 3rd or 4th or 5th rounder, whatever. True, we gave up a former first rounder for him, but Randall peaked last year and was/is due to drop off - IMO. That and we had way too many CBs anyway.

Assuming the detractors of Hundley are right about his trade value diminishing, then Kizer should be more tradeable even though he is not as good as Hundley - thus, it's logical to trade Kizer.

I voted for the keep 3. The poll was flawed, though, as it should have had "other" or a choice of keep two with Hundley as the back up.

How can we be sure? I'd like to see Kizer play with starters like Hundley did before I declare one better than the other. When they went head to head last season the only reason Cleveland lost was because Kizer got picked in OT. We had the better roster big time. I thought Kizer outplayed Hundley that day.

Joemailman
08-20-2018, 09:24 AM
I don't think Hundley has the confidence to throw deep down the middle of the field. Every time he takes off running, I have a suspicion he failed to pull a trigger on a throw to an open receiver.

mraynrand
08-20-2018, 09:38 AM
I don't think Hundley has the confidence to throw deep down the middle of the field. Every time he takes off running, I have a suspicion he failed to pull a trigger on a throw to an open receiver.

He did have that one nice connection with Marcedes. Art least I think that was Hundley not Kizer Söze.

Harlan Huckleby
08-20-2018, 09:52 AM
I can see GB keeping both QBs.

Then MM doesn't have to concede that the Hundley project has turned into Graham Harrell II, and Gute doesn't have to admit the Kizer trade didn't pan out.

I hope they do the responsible thing and make a decision. Keeping two guys of similar ability makes no sense.

Harlan Huckleby
08-20-2018, 09:59 AM
The packer backup QB situation has been a dumpster fire for entire Aaron Rodgers era. Probably that says how hard it is to find good backups. Team failure too. This year feels like every other soap opera.

Anti-Polar Bear
08-20-2018, 10:07 AM
How can we be sure? I'd like to see Kizer play with starters like Hundley did before I declare one better than the other. When they went head to head last season the only reason Cleveland lost was because Kizer got picked in OT. We had the better roster big time. I thought Kizer outplayed Hundley that day.

The current Packer establishment is clearly showcasing The Hun in an attempt ship him off to Essos.

The Hun is a lame duck QB, not to mention, an abomination. His days in the Green and Gold are fleeting like the summer days. Keizer still has 3 more summers left.

Harlan Huckleby
08-20-2018, 10:13 AM
The Hun versus the Kaiser.

Anti-Polar Bear
08-20-2018, 11:26 AM
The Hun versus the Kaiser.

Competition supposedly breeds champions. In truth, all competition does is create a realm of the downtrodden. Kaiser will win at the expense of the downtrodden Hun.

Anti-Polar Bear
08-20-2018, 11:39 AM
The packer backup QB situation has been a dumpster fire for entire Aaron Rodgers era. Probably that says how hard it is to find good backups. Team failure too. This year feels like every other soap opera.

During the Favre era, the Packers had alotta good backup QBs. Favre was supertough and never missed a game in the Green and Gold, so they rarely ever played. But alotta 'em were solid starters for other teams.

Harlan Huckleby
08-20-2018, 01:24 PM
During the Favre era, the Packers had alotta good backup QBs. Favre was supertough and never missed a game in the Green and Gold, so they rarely ever played. But alotta 'em were solid starters for other teams.

Favre era backups:
Don Majkowski (briefly)
Ty Detmer
Mark Brunell
Jim McMahon
Doug Pederson
Steve Bono
Matt Hasselbeck
Craig Nall
Aaron Rodgers
(convienently omitted third stringers: TJ Rubley, Danny Wuerffel , JT O'Sullivan )

Aaron Rodgers understudies:
Matt Flynn
Graham Harrell
Senaca Wallace
Scott Tolzien
Brett Hundley
(washouts: Brian Brohm, Vince Young, B.J. Coleman, others I forget)

The Favre era was a friggin QB Hall of Fame in comparison

mraynrand
08-20-2018, 01:33 PM
You forgot Aaron Brooks, though he was only a pre season backup.

mraynrand
08-20-2018, 01:34 PM
No one ever held a clipboard like Steve Bono.

red
08-20-2018, 02:33 PM
You forgot Aaron Brooks, though he was only a pre season backup.

kurt warner didn't even make it our of training camp

favre
detmer
brunell
warner

thats a damn nice QB line up right there

https://www.totalpackers.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/kurt-warner-packers-750x400.jpg

Bretsky
08-20-2018, 06:40 PM
I went with trading him for a conditional 6th or 7th

Bretsky
08-20-2018, 06:42 PM

Packer beat guys last year noted they interviewed several players about the secondary and it was widely believed Randall was the most talented player back there. He was probably out of place

And he was an ASSHAT

I'm just a bit shocked we just didn't get a 5th for him.

I really don't care much for the Kize

pbmax
08-20-2018, 07:01 PM
If Randall succeeds at safety, I will consider the case closed that the combo of Thompson and Capers was a catastrophe from almost the beginning to the end.

And while I am not sure who bears most of the blame for failing to fix it, I bet McCarthy's tinkering with personnel groups and matchups didn't help.

Zool
08-20-2018, 07:54 PM
I wonder if the same group of veterans who wanted Randall tossed off the team wanted Hundley to get a chance to compete in camp. Something like that must be going on, otherwise I can't see any reason they didn't send him packing in the off-season. Most people don't enjoy collecting their failures and keeping them close-by. I should know - that's why I booted my kids out the door at 18.

They aren’t out anything by keeping him through cutdown day. I don’t think his salary guaranteed until final cutdown.

Harlan Huckleby
08-20-2018, 09:01 PM
They aren’t out anything by keeping him through cutdown day. I don’t think his salary guaranteed until final cutdown.

If they were thinking of cutting Hundley, wouldn't Kiser be getting the snaps with the first unit?

I've been surprised many times before, but you'd think it would be high priority to give this year's backup quality time in preseason games.

wthigoot
08-20-2018, 09:53 PM

Hundley is slightly better right now, but Kizer is younger and has more years on his contract and more time for development. Kizer stays and Hundley is cut is my guess.

Zool
08-21-2018, 07:32 AM
If they were thinking of cutting Hundley, wouldn't Kiser be getting the snaps with the first unit?

I've been surprised many times before, but you'd think it would be high priority to give this year's backup quality time in preseason games.

If it costs you nothing to keep him , why cut him in the off season?

mraynrand
08-21-2018, 08:23 AM
The staff is in a bit of a bind with Hundley, appearance-wise. They (Stubby) made the claim that he wasn't properly prepared, the responsibility of which, even if it was 'the fault of the QB coach,' whom they let go, still falls on Stubby as head honcho. So if Animal van Pelt was the problem, then the new guy and Stubby should fix it, no? If Hundley still sucks, then they were 1) wrong/lying about Pelt and/or 2) Stubby sucks at choosing QB coaches and/or developing QBs and/or 3) TT sucked at drafting QBs. So basically, if Hundley sucks, it's all on the organization, not Hundley. Think they want to effectively admit that by cutting him?

ThunderDan
08-21-2018, 08:46 AM
The staff is in a bit of a bind with Hundley, appearance-wise. They (Stubby) made the claim that he wasn't properly prepared, the responsibility of which, even if it was 'the fault of the QB coach,' whom they let go, still falls on Stubby as head honcho. So if Animal van Pelt was the problem, then the new guy and Stubby should fix it, no? If Hundley still sucks, then they were 1) wrong/lying about Pelt and/or 2) Stubby sucks at choosing QB coaches and/or developing QBs and/or 3) TT sucked at drafting QBs. So basically, if Hundley sucks, it's all on the organization, not Hundley. Think they want to effectively admit that by cutting him?

Absolutely, football is a win now sport. You don't have room to hold onto dead weight for more than a year or two at most. 1st pick QBs don't make it in the NFL all the time. Don't worry about cutting a 5th rounder.

Harlan Huckleby
08-21-2018, 10:00 AM
1st pick QBs don't make it in the NFL all the time. Don't worry about cutting a 5th rounder.
Ya, this makes sense. The problem is that they may evaluate in practice that he is the best option.

The mistake was in bringing him back to camp. Better to make a clean break and give another player full attention and opportunity.

The fact that the backup QB spot has been such a problem in recent years may make it harder to admit yet another failure. Not sure.

Harlan Huckleby
08-21-2018, 10:13 AM
Matt Flynn
Graham Harrell
Senaca Wallace
Scott Tolzien
Brett Hundley

BTW, for those who think backups don't matter in Rodgers era, I think all the backups had to play in critical games except maybe Harrell. "critical" meaning important to playoff race.

mraynrand
08-21-2018, 10:37 AM
Matt Flynn
Graham Harrell
Senaca Wallace
Scott Tolzien
Brett Hundley

BTW, for those who think backups don't matter in Rodgers era, I think all the backups had to play in critical games except maybe Harrell. "critical" meaning important to playoff race.

You are not wrong

Harlan Huckleby
08-21-2018, 02:00 PM
I was listening to Bill Scott talk about the Packer backup QB situation on radio this morning. He thinks Hundley has done a very good job, and that the Packers are pleased. The rub is that Kiser can make throws that Hundley can't - much better arm. So he sees the Packers as being in more of a dilemma than a crisis. He has no inkling what Packers will do.

mraynrand
08-21-2018, 02:07 PM
I was listening to Bill Scott talk about the Packer backup QB situation on radio this morning. He thinks Hundley has done a very good job, and that the Packers are pleased. The rub is that Kiser can make throws that Hundley can't - much better arm. So he sees the Packers as being in more of a dilemma than a crisis. He has no inkling what Packers will do.

If this is true, then they keep both and try to slip the other guy on the practice squad until New Orleans needs a gunner.

Anti-Polar Bear
08-21-2018, 02:21 PM
If this is true, then they keep both and try to slip the other guy on the practice squad until New Orleans needs a gunner.

Or move The Hun to WR. Pretty sure the Hun caught a pass last season. And he didn’t look like the GOAT Tom Brady looked in the SB against the Balding Eagles.

pbmax
08-21-2018, 05:25 PM
I think Bill is sniffing ink. Hundley hasn't looked markedly improved to me. I would love to be wrong, but haven't seen it yet.

I wish Flynn was still here to play in a meaningful game.

Zool
08-21-2018, 05:25 PM

From what I’ve watched so far this preseason, Kizer has a much better arm along with the confidence to use it. If they cut him in favor of Hundley, something went terribly wrong. This is the first guy Glutes has traded for. He’s not going to give up so easily to keep a guy the last guy drafted.

Harlan Huckleby
08-21-2018, 05:52 PM
Just remembered an old radio jingle for local auto dealer, "A Kayser buyer is a wiser buyer." I smell almonds.

Anyway, I think Bill Scott has set the bar awfully low for what can be expected from a backup. I guess running the offense and not making mistakes is the threshold in 2018. Bill Scott is often critical of the Packer decisions, so it's an informed, honest take.

I'm a Kiser buyer all the way.

Harlan Huckleby
08-21-2018, 05:57 PM
I wish Flynn was still here to play in a meaningful game.

If only Taysom Hill hadn't been so foolishly discarded.

(Actually I completely forgot who the guy was until about a week ago.)

Bretsky
08-21-2018, 07:38 PM
are either really worth a roster spot ?

hmmm

mraynrand
08-21-2018, 07:58 PM
Just remembered an old radio jingle for local auto dealer, "A Kayser buyer is a wiser buyer." I smell almonds.

Can you remember all the dealerships on the Oldsmobile commercials of the early 80's?

(or are you still blocking me? - wait, you can't answer that....)

pbmax
08-21-2018, 08:50 PM

Anyway, I think Bill Scott has set the bar awfully low for what can be expected from a backup. I guess running the offense and not making mistakes is the threshold in 2018. Bill Scott is often critical of the Packer decisions, so it's an informed, honest take.

I'm a Kiser buyer all the way.

How about a Kayser Sell O Rama?

pbmax
08-21-2018, 08:51 PM
Just remembered an old radio jingle for local auto dealer ...

Can you remember all the dealerships on the Oldsmobile commercials of the early 80's?

(or are you still blocking me? - wait, you can't answer that....)

Answer the man!

pbmax
08-21-2018, 08:53 PM
ZIM-brick! Fish Hatch-Er-Y Road!

Cheesehead Craig
08-22-2018, 07:44 AM
I can only remember "Who do you know wants to buy a car?" Ernie Von Schledorn... Main street in Menomonee Falls.

mraynrand
08-22-2018, 08:52 AM
I recall the "Knights of Olds"
the not complete list of dealerships:

Arrow
Doucas
Balestreri
Krause
Kuettner
O'Brien
Renner
Stark

There was some radio commercial I must have heard a thousand times while house painting....

Harlan Huckleby
08-22-2018, 11:06 AM
Don Miller has the car that's right for you. Don Miller...

I bought my first real car at Don Miller: a Chrysler K car, a boxy dodge Aries. The K-car supposedly saved Chrysler, but it about broke me. What a cheap piece of junk. It rattled apart like a Yugo.

On the upside, Don Miller sent me fancy Christmas cards every year for about 15 years. Guess we had a real relationship.

Fritz
08-22-2018, 11:54 AM
Brett Hundley will be released after the final pre-season game.

Teamcheez1
08-22-2018, 12:52 PM
Brett Hundley will be released after the final pre-season game.

Agreed. All things being equal in preseason, Kizer has a better arm, pocket/field awareness, and potential. Hundley will never be any better than what we saw on the field last year.

Zool
08-22-2018, 01:26 PM
If a team is desperate after a bunch of injuries, I could see a conditional 7th that will essentially be nothing.

deake
08-22-2018, 04:59 PM
If MM has any voice in it they will keep him.

mraynrand
08-22-2018, 05:07 PM
If a team is desperate after a bunch of injuries, I could see a conditional 7th that will essentially be nothing.

Well, at least he doesn't have a Brock Osweiler contract, otherwise Packers would have to give up a #2 to get rid of him.

The Shadow
08-22-2018, 05:43 PM
He just needs another 3 years. Or 4. Or 5. Or 10.

Pugger
08-23-2018, 07:56 AM
Favre era backups:
Don Majkowski (briefly)
Ty Detmer
Mark Brunell
Jim McMahon
Doug Pederson
Steve Bono
Matt Hasselbeck
Craig Nall
Aaron Rodgers
(convienently omitted third stringers: TJ Rubley, Danny Wuerffel , JT O'Sullivan )

Aaron Rodgers understudies:
Matt Flynn
Graham Harrell
Senaca Wallace
Scott Tolzien
Brett Hundley
(washouts: Brian Brohm, Vince Young, B.J. Coleman, others I forget)

The Favre era was a friggin QB Hall of Fame in comparison

In the Favre era there were a lot of good QBs around both starting and as backups. Today the league can't find 32 competent starters for each team let alone a decent backup...

Harlan Huckleby
08-23-2018, 08:24 AM
Pete Dougherty chat
http://live.packersnews.com/Event/Packers_chat_with_Pete_Dougherty_68

Pete, barring injury I can't see Kaiser not making the 53. so what does Hundley have to do in these last 2 pre-season games to also secure his spot on the 53? Or is he primarily auditioning for a spot on someone else's 53?

I tend to agree. Kizer has looked better in practice recently and last week's game too, I think he's created a little daylight, at least in the sense that he's more physically talented than Hundley, and it's starting to show. I'd forgotten this until a friend on the beat pointed this out, but second-round picks' salary is guaranteed in Year 2, so even if the Packers cut him they'd have to pay him. I don't know the Packers' thinking on Hundley, but I'm thinking that if he plays well enough to keep on the 53, then that might/should be enough to get a seventh-round pick for him. I'd just have trouble justifying keeping both if I"m the Packers, especially if Boyle does well enough that there'd be some risk of another team picking him up if the Packers tried to slip him through to the practice squad. But they very well might see it differently, they've put a lot of time into Hundley, and he's looking better than he did last season.

Tomorrow's game could change everything. Then we have over a week of more drama. We're definitely going to need another Hundley poll, maybe two.

Harlan Huckleby
08-23-2018, 08:33 AM
In the Favre era there were a lot of good QBs around both starting and as backups. Today the league can't find 32 competent starters for each team let alone a decent backup...

I don't see how that can possibly be true. There are still the same number of college teams developing talent. QB is still a glory position that high school star athletes want to play.

Maybe, just maybe, QB has become more difficult to play? Nah, I think Ted & Mike's Excellent QB Adventure has been rocky.

mraynrand
08-23-2018, 08:42 AM
I disagree that Hundley looks better than last season. He looks reasonably adequate in this year's preseason, like previous years. We have no idea if he'll be improved if he has to play in a regular season game. That's the risk with him. The risk with Kizer Söze is that he'll have the same mental breakdowns in critical situations as he did in regular season games last year. 11TDs, 22INTs...

mraynrand
08-23-2018, 08:57 AM
I don't see how that can possibly be true. There are still the same number of college teams developing talent. QB is still a glory position that high school star athletes want to play.

Maybe, just maybe, QB has become more difficult to play? Nah, I think Ted & Mike's Excellent QB Adventure has been rocky.

In '95, Kerry Collins, Dave Brown, Trent Dilfer, Rick Mirer, Rodney Peete, and Drew Bledsoe were the suckiest starting QBs. Awful QBs like Heath Shuler, Bubby Brister, Eric Zeier, and Mike Tomczak also got a few games in each. You could probably make an argument that the QB ranks were worse in 1995, but even with elevated QB ratings, you have the worst QBs in 2017 being Kizer, Brissett, Winston, Cutler, McCown, Siemian, Trubisky, Hundley with guys like Beathard, Savage, Hoyer, Osweiller, Gabbert, Fitzpatrick, Stanton, Glennon and Moore getting starts. Just seems to me that the QB play in 2017 was worse than 1995 overall.

Maybe QB play isn't harder, maybe the QBs coming out are more dumberer? Or less experienced?

Pugger
08-23-2018, 09:12 AM
In '95, Kerry Collins, Dave Brown, Trent Dilfer, Rick Mirer, Rodney Peete, and Drew Bledsoe were the suckiest starting QBs. Awful QBs like Heath Shuler, Bubby Brister, Eric Zeier, and Mike Tomczak also got a few games in each. You could probably make an argument that the QB ranks were worse in 1995, but even with elevated QB ratings, you have the worst QBs in 2017 being Kizer, Brissett, Winston, Cutler, McCown, Siemian, Trubisky, Hundley with guys like Beathard, Savage, Hoyer, Osweiller, Gabbert, Fitzpatrick, Stanton, Glennon and Moore getting starts. Just seems to me that the QB play in 2017 was worse than 1995 overall.

Maybe QB play isn't harder, maybe the QBs coming out are more dumberer? Or less experienced?

I wonder if QBs coming out of the college ranks aren't ready for the NFL because so many use spread offenses. :huh:

Anti-Polar Bear
08-23-2018, 11:57 AM

I blame CBA football. QBs used to spend 24 hours a day at the office. McCarthy’s QB school was hip. Nowadays, players only have 3 hours a day at the building to do football stuff.

That, plus the influx of black qbs. QBs are meant to be pale, and corners are meant to be dark. (Wink icon) 🏉

MadScientist
08-23-2018, 12:42 PM
Hundley will be cut. He can't make all the throws and against a real coverage all he can do are short check-downs and WR screens. They won't get a conditional 7th for him.

Harlan Huckleby
08-23-2018, 03:12 PM
Now that I am fully a Kiser sniffer, I gotta make the point that Kiser's eratic play last year means exactly nothing. He entered the draft after his redshirt sophomore year (ridiculous), and in six months he's thrown on the field for an expansion team, the Kleeburg Browns or some such outfit. He was a 21 year old kid who should have played two more years in college. He should have been a third stringer in the NFL.

mraynrand
08-23-2018, 04:41 PM
Now that I am fully a Kiser sniffer, I gotta make the point that Kiser's eratic play last year means exactly nothing. He entered the draft after his redshirt sophomore year (ridiculous), and in six months he's thrown on the field for an expansion team, the Kleeburg Browns or some such outfit. He was a 21 year old kid who should have played two more years in college. He should have been a third stringer in the NFL.

All true, but sometimes when young kids get tossed into that environment they develop habits that are hard to break. Stubby broke Rodger's Tedford conditioning, so maybe he can re-program Kizer. Maybe.

Vincenzo
08-25-2018, 02:26 PM
It was shocking how bad Brett Hundley was in Oakland. Although his statistics for the game didn't reflect just how poorly he played.
He ended up 8 for 14 and 78 yards, but his passer rating was 72.9

Tony Oday
08-25-2018, 03:39 PM
Hundley cant make fast decisions, which lead to holding onto the ball too long which lead to sacks.

pbmax
08-25-2018, 04:20 PM
I wonder if QBs coming out of the college ranks aren't ready for the NFL because so many use spread offenses. :huh:

That has been the complaint of NFL coaches since the time of Big Ten dominance and the wishbone. Colleges never ran pro offenses, generally.

The West Coast offense was one of the few systems to make its way to the colleges from the pros and people have documented how long it takes to implement because of limited practice time (rule first instituted in college in late 80s).

NFL writers who make this claim think the history of QB development only goes back to Walsh at Stanford.

It more that NFL coaches have had trouble adapting their teaching to more limited time. If you are smart and use what you have (see Doug Pederson) there isn't a problem. Its the square peg in round hole types that are in trouble.

texaspackerbacker
08-25-2018, 05:13 PM
You guys would seriously whine about Hundley thinking slow or getting himself sacked or whatever, when Kizer was a helluva lot slower and worse? And when the blame for either goes to Ted Thompon's legacy which is the pathetic excuse for an O Line they are forced to play behind? Sheeeeesh!

Zool
08-25-2018, 05:46 PM
Rubbing your eyes with Cheeto dust during the games again?

mraynrand
08-25-2018, 06:32 PM
Rubbing your eyes with Cheeto dust during the games again?

MMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......Cheeeeeeeeetossss.

Zool
08-25-2018, 08:44 PM
How else do you turn your dork that fun orange color?

wist43
08-25-2018, 10:12 PM
How else do you turn your dork that fun orange color?

Let me ask you this...

If you rub Dorito dust on your dick, will Hispanic chicks fight each other to lick it off?? Or is that just an urban myth??

Zool
08-26-2018, 01:04 AM
Let me ask you this...

If you rub Dorito dust on your dick, will Hispanic chicks fight each other to lick it off?? Or is that just an urban myth??

Gotta be original. They don’t give a fuck about that Cool Ranch shit.

mraynrand
08-26-2018, 06:34 AM
wow, this thread is way off the rails, even for Packerrats.

Harlan Huckleby
08-26-2018, 09:42 AM
You guys would seriously whine about Hundley thinking slow or getting himself sacked or whatever, when Kizer was a helluva lot slower and worse? And when the blame for either goes to Ted Thompon's legacy which is the pathetic excuse for an O Line they are forced to play behind? Sheeeeesh!

Hundley is not good enough to be an effective backup. Doesn't matter what other problems are lurking.

Maybe Packers are in good shape for 2019. Both Kizer and Boyle have NFl potential. But that assumes they can keep Boyle. This year they have a shitty backup, and they probably have to use an extra roster spot for the privilege.

It's not a happy situation. It is dumb to gloat that Kiser is struggling - he was the great black hope for this season.

texaspackerbacker
08-26-2018, 12:16 PM
The irrational Hundley-hate in here is amazing!

I'm not "gloating" or pleased that Kizer has looked so bad. It's just a fact, and I'd even allow for the idea that he could play decent if he had any blocking (his history with Cleveland says otherwise, though).

Hundley tries to do the things Aaron Rodgers is forced to do. Obviously, he ain't that good, but he ain't remotely as bad as some in here whine about. He has pretty good escapability and ok/not great accuracy passing - good only if you compare it to some of the wildly off target crap Kizer has been throwing. I would also say Hundley has been pretty good at emulating Rodgers in good judgment/not throwing interceptions - that too, in stark contrast to the near pick sixes Kizer throws.

CUT or TRADE Kizer; Keep Hundley as the back up - with this O Line, we're probably gonna lose with anybody other than Rodgers anyway; Try to keep Boyle on the practice squad and hope he develops.

Zool
08-26-2018, 09:31 PM
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HundBr00.htm

MadScientist
08-26-2018, 09:58 PM
The irrational Hundley-hate in here is amazing! .

If you watched the Packers last year, there's nothing irrational about it. Hundley has not shown anything this preseason that says he would be better than last year. I'll grant that Kizer hasn't looked any better, except for arm strength. The other thing to factor in is that Hundley is a FA after this year and Kizer has this plus 2 more. Unless Hundley had shown himself to be substantially better (he hasn't) he will be cut unless Kizer is injured.

texaspackerbacker
08-26-2018, 10:34 PM
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HundBr00.htm

Good link. The PackerNews thing in there says two of their media guys agree with me: keep Hundley, get rid of Kizer.

Harlan Huckleby
08-26-2018, 10:41 PM
keep Hundley, get rid of Kizer.

Could happen.

What a pathetic off-season if that is the result.

The Shadow
08-27-2018, 12:14 AM
Seriously : How could Boyle - who actually has shown a lot of QB moxie in his limited chances - possibly be any worse than Hundley & Kizer?

Tony Oday
08-27-2018, 07:21 AM
Hundley is not an NFL QB. He needs to be released yesterday.

pbmax
08-27-2018, 08:26 AM
Seriously : How could Boyle - who actually has shown a lot of QB moxie in his limited chances - possibly be any worse than Hundley & Kizer?

Shadow, just watch old Jets or Bills film. It can get SO much worse.

That said, I like Boyle as a developmental guy. But we have seen what happens to QBs when their best qualification is "beats the tar out of 3rd and 4th stringers". Except for Flynn, they all fail to impress against starters.

Speaking of the Bills, Josh Allen was terrible yesterday. He looks like the greatest QB of all time (he's big, he can move, he seems to read defenses, his arm is ultra live) but when he throws, good luck guessing where its headed. The hardest part to fix on a QB is patience in the pocket and reading a D. The second hardest thing to fix is feet and mechanics to improve accuracy. Should they accomplish that with Allen, we will all be watching the Bills in multiple Super Bowls again.

But its anyone's guess where the ball goes right now.

Zool
08-28-2018, 09:28 AM
Good link. The PackerNews thing in there says two of their media guys agree with me: keep Hundley, get rid of Kizer.

Stats and results be damned! Give me opinions every day.

gbgary
08-28-2018, 09:34 AM
kizer is better right now than hundley and has more upside. more athletic. faster. i'd rather have a backup take off and run than hold it...roll to the right...and toss it out of bounds.

Zool
08-28-2018, 09:36 AM
kizer is better right now than hundley and has more upside. more athletic. faster. i'd rather have a backup take off and run than hold it...roll to the right...and toss it out of bounds.

Or check down to the RB for a 1 yard loss.

gbgary
08-28-2018, 09:57 AM
Or check down to the RB for a 1 yard loss.

yes. i think he's played pretty well this preseason. i think they feature him again thursday and hope he plays well enough to get someone to call about a trade...dallas perhaps. their backup qb situation may be worse than ours.

Pugger
08-28-2018, 02:16 PM
Hundley looked pretty good last summer too but stunk when he had to start after AR got hurt. :???:

deake
08-29-2018, 09:32 AM
Well he's gone, traded to the Seahawks, wonder what they got for him.

Tony Oday
08-29-2018, 09:33 AM
A bag of footballs would be enough.

mraynrand
08-29-2018, 09:57 AM
wow.

Stubby couldn't prepare him.

MadScientist
08-29-2018, 10:22 AM
They got a 6th from Seattle. Gute for exec of the year.

Pugger
08-29-2018, 10:22 AM
Well he's gone, traded to the Seahawks, wonder what they got for him.

A 2019 6th rounder.

SudsMcBucky
08-29-2018, 10:34 AM

Either that or he should go to prison...............for highway robbery.

mraynrand
08-29-2018, 10:37 AM

I bet they stuck the Packers for his gum allowance.

Pugger
08-29-2018, 10:42 AM
I was reading a seachicken forum earlier and they aren't thrilled with this deal. :laugh:

Fritz
08-29-2018, 11:27 AM
Is the sixth rounder conditional?

pbmax
08-29-2018, 01:39 PM
wow.

Stubby couldn't prepare him.

Edgar Bennett and Alex Van Pelt have mixed feelings about this. This is why people leak to the media.

“We told M3 he couldn’t play!”

pbmax
08-29-2018, 01:42 PM
Is the sixth rounder conditional?

Nothing definitive but no one is reporting it is.

MadScientist
08-29-2018, 02:09 PM
I was reading a seachicken forum earlier and they aren't thrilled with this deal. :laugh:

The ones I saw were mostly mixed. Hundley didn't inspire them, they didn't give a rats ass about a 6th. The one comment that made this trade seem sensible was that Seattle's backup needs to be able to run because their O-line is complete shit.

pbmax
08-29-2018, 03:13 PM
The ones I saw were mostly mixed. Hundley didn't inspire them, they didn't give a rats ass about a 6th. The one comment that made this trade seem sensible was that Seattle's backup needs to be able to run because their O-line is complete shit.

I wonder if, considering both Packers and Seahawks plus his tenures, you might be able to make an argument that John Schneider can't draft O lineman.

Joemailman
08-29-2018, 04:09 PM

See what happens when people agree with you?

pbmax
08-29-2018, 05:07 PM
Tex you should agree with a writer that McCarthy doesn't need to do anything more to get players open versus man to man coverage.

Bretsky
08-29-2018, 07:33 PM
[Anti-Polar Bear,
Bretsky,
Cheesehead Craig,
pbmax,
Pugger,
Sparkey,
wpony

Poll winners

Joemailman
08-29-2018, 07:49 PM
Poll winners

Pole winner.

http://www.mondanite.net/GalleryImages/ART-P-2801-635939112609873047.jpg

Harlan Huckleby
08-29-2018, 07:54 PM
[Anti-Polar Bear,
Bretsky,
Cheesehead Craig,
pbmax,
Pugger,
Sparkey,
wpony

Poll winners

I just voted and I too am a winner.

pbmax
08-29-2018, 07:58 PM

Might be my best prediction performance since I thought my Packer fan friends were not keen enough about some kid named Bert Farve who kept completing passes after concussing himself running into defenders and his O lineman.

In some ways, the first 2.5 years of Favre were the most fun to watch. More players should play drunk.

mraynrand
08-29-2018, 09:48 PM
Tex you should agree with a writer that McCarthy doesn't need to do anything more to get players open versus man to man coverage.

lol

mraynrand
08-29-2018, 09:49 PM
In some ways, the first 2.5 years of Favre were the most fun to watch. More players should play drunk.

No! He threw up on the sidelines because he got hit really hard by Kevin Green. That blackberry odor was from ... pancakes! Yeah, Pancakes! Hey, what the hell is Ari doing here? He isn't even famous yet!