PDA

View Full Version : PI- Here's Why we Hate the Bears

Bretsky
09-09-2006, 11:46 PM
Here's why we hate the Chicago Bears
Posted: Sept. 7, 2006

Bud Lea

In a 1980 game played at Soldier Field, the Chicago Bears destroyed the Green Bay Packers, 61-7. It was the Bears' biggest margin of victory in the 171 meetings between the teams.

The truly galling thing, though, was that Chicago coach Neill Armstrong put Walter Payton back in the game when the Bears were rolling in for their ninth touchdown. Payton already had gained 127 yards and scored three touchdowns.

Meanwhile, Bart Starr, the Packers' head coach at the time, had inserted his backup quarterback, David Whitehurst, when the score was 48-7. It was Whitehurst's first appearance of the regular season, and Buddy Ryan, the Bears' defensive coordinator, kept calling blitzes until the bitter end - just for fun.

After the pounding, a highly ticked off Starr refused to shake Armstrong's hand. He was more upset about the blitzes against an inexperienced quarterback than the fact Payton came back in the game. He felt the Bears were literally trying to pour it on.

That's exactly what the Bears intended.

William (The Refrigerator) Perry scores on a 1-yard run for the Bears against the Green Bay Packers in 1985.

"We wanted 100 points," defensive end Dave Hampton said. "It couldn't have happened to a nicer bunch of pricks."

That's why you hate the Chicago Bears.

On a 1985 Monday night game in Chicago, the Bears went after Packers' quarterback Lynn Dickey like a pack of pit bulls. After Dickey had thrown an interception, Hampton and Richard Dent ganged up on the 35-year-old quarterback with a double-team block 30 yards away from the play. Dickey was through for the game.

The Bears then added insult to Dickey's injury by letting William (The Refrigerator) Perry burst into the national spotlight as their new goal-line weapon. The 320-pound defensive tackle twice pulverized Packers linebacker George Cumby to open holes for Payton's touchdown runs, and he bowled over for the Bears' other touchdown in Chicago's 23-7 victory over Green Bay.

"Nobody on our team was big enough to take that fat guy on," said Dick Modzelewski, Green Bay's defensive coordinator.

The Packers thought the Bears were rubbing it in using Perry that way. Coach Mike Ditka, no stranger to feuds, said he couldn't care less what the Packers said.

That's why you hate the Bears.

From November in 1976 to October in 1992, the Packers and Bears played 31 football games. The Packers won eight of them.

So gather your children around the dinner table. A lot of the young ones hate the Bears because, well, because you just know you're supposed to hate the Bears. But they really don't understand why.

I was born and raised in Green Bay, and my father took me to games at City Stadium. He always referred to George Halas as Public Enemy No. 1, and he worked up a special hatred toward Ed Sprinkle, the guy who perfected the clothesline tackle. And, yes, my dad could never understand how the Packers could hire ex-Bears Gene Ronzani and Scooter McLean as head coaches.

It is important that these stories be passed through the generations. All important is the grudge, nursing it and nurturing it.

And the stories; well. They need to be passed down, from generation to generation. Some of the stories are gory, others scary, others absurd.

Who can forget Dick Butkus? On punts, the Bears linebacker would start about five yards off the line of scrimmage and time his rush so that he clobbered the center an instant after the ball was snapped.

In 1970, the Packers had a center named Malcolm Walker. Butkus almost killed him in a game at Lambeau Field.

Using his massive forearm as a weapon, Butkus ripped open Walker's chin. The Packers doctor hurriedly stitched up Walker's gaping wound on the sideline, and he returned to the game only to be in the same situation again when the Packers punted.

Again Butkus timed his rush perfectly and took dead aim on Walker's chin. There was blood all over the place.

The Packers dominated the series during the Vince Lombardi years, winning 13 of 18 games. Nevertheless, anyone who played in these games knew that it was more like a street fight.

Bill Curry remembers the first time he played a game against the Bears. Curry was a rookie center from George Tech.

It was he 1965 Shrine Game in Milwaukee. The Packers played the Bears in the pre-season until both sides decided years later that three games in one season that turned into bloodbaths was too much.

Just before the start of the game, Ray Nitschke, hardly a shrinking violet, approached Curry. He was surprised because veterans didn't talk to rookies, especially Nitschke.

Nitschke said, "Look, if you happen to make a play near the Bears' bench today, just get up and hurry back to the huddle."

Curry nodded politely and asked Nitschke if he could explain.

"There's a short, fat coach on this bench who's got a real loud mouth," Nitschke said, "and you shouldn't hear that kind of stuff. I don't want you to be exposed to that kind of filth."

Abe Gibron was the Bears assistant coach Nitschke was talking about. In 1973, Gibron was the head coach and he outraged Milwaukee fans in the Shrine Game when he sent special teamer Gary Kosins on a search and destroy mission against Packer kicker Chester Marcol.

Inundated by boos from fans defending Marcol, Gibron responded, "What is he, a Polish prince, or something."

When the Packers won Super Bowl XXXI, they were invited the following spring to the White House to meet with President Clinton. Among the Packers making the trip to Washington was Jim McMahon, the Dead End Kid who was picked up by Green Bay in 1996 as a backup to Brett Favre.

McMahon showed up wearing his old Bears navy-and-orange jersey much to the chagrin of coach Mike Holmgren and general manager Ron Wolf. It was an outrageous act by a player Packer fans never accepted.

The Packers are 19-5 against the Bears since 1994, and it has been mostly Chicago fans who have done the carping and whining and building hatred. By winning the last two games, the Bears are not the underdogs anymore. Everything has changed - well, for a while, anyway.

So, here we are again, with the Packers as the hunters and the Bears as the hunted.

The early forecast Sunday is for warm temperatures, hot tempers, and stories.

MadtownPacker
09-10-2006, 12:11 AM
Man, thats some crazy and classless stuff.

Tarlam!
09-10-2006, 01:31 AM
Yup. That's got me hating the Bears. :evil: :evil:

Patler
09-10-2006, 01:31 AM
I believe it was also the Bears who sent guys after Chester Marcol on kickoffs, the same as they went after Lynn Dickey, trying to put him out of the game. In one game with Marcol already hobbled, the Packers told him to kickoff and run to the sidelines. As I recall, a Bear was called for a clip, hitting Marcol in the back as he crossed the sideline.

Of course, then there was Charles Martin's "block" on McMahan after an interception.........

billy_oliver880
09-10-2006, 03:30 AM
Here is my question...not that I am supporting the bears at all. I am just curious all the dirty stuff that the packers did to the bears.

the_idle_threat
09-10-2006, 03:50 AM
Of course, then there was Charles Martin's "block" on McMahan after an interception.........

I was wondering how long it would take for Charles Martin's name to appear in this thread ... :smile: It's only fair to mention it.

Bretsky
09-10-2006, 06:30 AM
Here is my question...not that I am supporting the bears at all. I am just curious all the dirty stuff that the packers did to the bears.

Dirty stuff ? What Dirty Stuff ?

Kenny the UW MAD sodbuster Stills laying Matt Suey out five seconds after the play on that Monday Night Football Game ?

Charles Martin bodyslamming Jim McMahon

Ah, it's all good.

Cheers,
B

mmmdk
09-10-2006, 09:12 AM
Is it true that the Bears had intercepted the Packers signals for plays and thus was part of the big 61-7 rout of the Pack? That's classless.

mraynrand
09-10-2006, 09:21 AM
Charles Martin bodyslamming Jim McMahon
B

That hit pretty much ended McMahon's career. Good. The guy was an idiot. Why they signed him in '96 is beyond me. I would have rather had a parolled murderer or Mossy Cade as back up QB.

But it was worse. In the 1946 season opener at city stadium, Bear's center John Schiechl blindsided Carl Mulleneaux on a kickoff and inflicted the following: Five dislocated vertebrae, three broken teeth, a broken nose, a concussion and facial cuts - all on one 'block.' Schiechl essentially mugged/beat the living shit out of Mulleneaux on a blind side hit. Mulleneaux never played again and ate his dinner through a straw for years afterwards. His children were afraid to look at him. (the funny thing is that Mulleneaux showed up in street clothes at the rematch in Chicago, with the intention of beating the crap out of Schiechl after the game - but Scheichl avoided a beating by apologising!).

Ruining McMahon's shoulder was only partial payback. I just hope at least one Bear player gets carted off the field today following a vicious legal hit, preferably from A.J. Hawk.

Terry
09-10-2006, 09:32 AM
It goes back a lot further than that!

Packer teams, though not by that name, have been formed since 1896. In 1919, George Calhoun, a Press-Gazette writer, and a former Notre Dame player named Curly Lambeau held a meeting to call together players interested in forming a team. They also got the Indian Packing Company to sponsor and finance them and that was the official beginning of the Packers. That team went on to win 10 games, losing only one, and repeated the feat in 1920, which was the year George Halas created the Decatur Staleys, who also won 10 games that season.

In 1921, the NFL was formed, then called the American Professional Football Association (APFA). The Acme Packing Company, successor to the now defunct Indian Packing Company, were granted a Franchise for a team of pro football players. The Packers. That year, the Packers and Staleys (then called, I believe, the Chicago Supremes) didn't meet in "regular season", but did have a game in Milwaukee at the end of the season. That game, not being a part of the APFA season, was not governed by APFA rules and regulations.

The Packers fielded a few collegiate 'ringers' in that game, a practice that was not at all uncommon among teams then. (In fact, APFA rules held no sanctions against the use of college players.) George Halas was using them on his team also. Unfortunately, Halas was a major figure in the new APFA. One of Halas' ringers spotted Hunk Anderson on the Packers squad and reported this to Halas who blew the whistle to some Chicago papers, who then raised a stink about it. As a result, the APFA demanded that John and Emmett Clair (owners of the Packing company and the Packers) forfeit their franchise. In short, Halas raised a stink that got the Green Bay Packers tossed out of the league - for engaging in the exact same practice he engaged in. The Packers had won the APFA championship that year and Halas was mad about it.

Lambeau petitioned the APFA for a new franchise, but was initially rebuffed. But he persisted in lobbying them for months and finally he was granted a Franchise if he could come up with $1,000 (all teams had to come up with that as surety against using college players***). To be fair, Halas was certainly instrumental in helping the Packers regain their franchise (he must have cooled down by then). I think there is a legend about the loan of that money coming from Halas and Halas himself said as much in his autobiography, but it's unlikely - it doesn't seem to be supported by the history.

*** Actually, I think Lambeau only needed $250 to get his franchise back. Later in the year, the APFA demanded that all teams put up a grand.

Anyway, the point is, the rivalry dates back to that day near the end of 1921 when Halas managed to get the Packers kicked out of the league.

Lombardi hated the Bears. Hated them. They've always been dirty players. Sure, we've had our dirty players and tactics too, but nothing like the Bears against us.

Incidentally, apropos of nothing at all and completely off topic, the Packers were the first professional team to have a mascot - in 1919. I betcha' no one knows 'who' the mascot was. :razz:

mraynrand
09-10-2006, 09:33 AM
Is it true that the Bears had intercepted the Packers signals for plays and thus was part of the big 61-7 rout of the Pack? That's classless.

That's right. Bill Tobin said they got the idea from Halas (who was 85 at the time). "Halas thought if they were going to stand there and signal their players, why can't we figure out what they're doing," said Tobin. "I spent the off-seasons working on it." (If this was true, why didn't they use it in the opener that they lost 12-6?) Also, Dickey said "There is no way. The information sent to me was so minimal." Gary Fencick said "It absolutely screwed us up. We thought we had an idea whent they were going to run draw plays, and everyone completely blew their assignments."
Tobin gets the final word "Whether it was going to be run or pass, which way, whether it was going to be a draw or screen, we had the whole bit."
---------------------------------

I HATE THE BEARS! GO PACK!!!

Scott Campbell
09-10-2006, 09:37 AM
Do you now understand why I laugh at the idea of the Vikings being our rivalry team?

I hate the Bears.

MJZiggy
09-10-2006, 09:40 AM
With a vengeance.

red
09-10-2006, 09:45 AM
why we hate the bears, by me

because their FIBs

FIBs come up on the weekends and take over our towns, lakes and ski hills. they drink our beer, OUR BEER!!!!!!!!!

they clog our normaly peacefull and quiet golf courses, they jam our roads on friday and sunday night

they're pushy and loud thinking because they own a weekend house in the area that they run the whole damn town

they catch our prise fish and shoot our big bucks, with no respect for the land

they go on and on about how great their team is during the offseason and during good year, only to crawl back in their holes when things are going bad

they piss on our sacred grounds (lambeau), and think its fun. and have no respect for anything else that doesn't belong to them

and last but not least

we hate them because they're bears

and THE BEARS STILL SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BEARMAN
09-10-2006, 09:49 AM
All thease haters? I LUV yous guys ! I'ld luv for DA BEARS to kick your ever lovin arses all the way down one side and up the other all day long ! Then when your down and out, kick "tundra" in your faces and run the score up to like, 72 to 9 ! LMFAO !

Piss yellow and Mold green ? LOL

GO BEARS GO !

red
09-10-2006, 09:52 AM
All thease haters? I LUV yous guys ! I'ld luv for DA BEARS to kick your ever lovin arses all the way down one side and up the other all day long ! Then when your down and out, kick "tundra" in your faces and run the score up to like, 72 to 9 ! LMFAO !

GO BEARS GO !

see heres a fan that i mentioned. he's hyper and full of life because he just came out of a 15 year period of hibernation last season

mraynrand
09-10-2006, 10:12 AM

GO BEARS GO !

Interesting choice of score. What was it in 1994? 33-6 and 40-3? We beat you collectively 73-9. I understand why you'd like to return the favor. What's your over-under for number of whiskey shots Griese downs before the game?

Scott Campbell
09-10-2006, 10:25 AM
I hope McCarthy takes a swing at Lovie instead of shaking hands. What a way to kick of your tenure.

MJZiggy
09-10-2006, 10:29 AM
I don't think M3 would do that, but best to keep an eye on Mike Stock. He's a feisty one.