PDA

View Full Version : Packers Trade For Colts LB Antonio Morrison

Joemailman
08-26-2018, 12:16 PM
Started 15 games for Colts last year, with 109 tackles. https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/08/26/packers-trade-cb-lenzy-pipkins-for-colts-lb-antonio-morrison/

Joemailman
08-26-2018, 12:19 PM
Packers traded Lenzy Pipkens.

Morrison, a fourth-round pick of the Colts in 2016, was on the roster bubble in Indianapolis. The 23-year-old started 15 games and tallied 109 tackles for the Colts last season, but changes in the coaching staff and scheme made him expendable.

Morrison could quickly become a starter, especially if Burks is hurt.

Good move by Gutey.

bobblehead
08-26-2018, 12:21 PM
Very good move. I'm guessing this guy is a jackass based on things I have read, and I think he is a short term solution, but I fear the injury to Burks is pretty bad and we were desperate for a guy who wouldn't piss all over the field.

texaspackerbacker
08-26-2018, 12:25 PM
Player for Player - Lenzy Pipkins for Morrison. That seems like a very good trade. Morrison was a solid performer last season. If he's damaged by injury or attitude, I haven't heard of it. We've got at very least 7 better Corners than Pipkins.

Joemailman
08-26-2018, 12:34 PM
Colts have switched from 3-4 to 4-3 this year. My guess is they felt he doesn't have the range to play MLB in a 4-3.

Harlan Huckleby
08-26-2018, 01:01 PM
no brainer

mraynrand
08-26-2018, 01:33 PM
Packers could afford to let Pipkins go because Ladarius Gunter will be available in a few days.

red
08-26-2018, 01:54 PM
sounds like a really good move for us

trade a guy who wasn't going to make the team for a player with starting experience at a position in desperate need

red
08-26-2018, 01:56 PM
Very good move. I'm guessing this guy is a jackass based on things I have read, and I think he is a short term solution, but I fear the injury to Burks is pretty bad and we were desperate for a guy who wouldn't piss all over the field.

didn't king miss a big chunk of last season with a dislocated shoulder?

my guess is that someone realizes that our training staff can't fix that problem and know that burkes is gonna end up out for awhile

Harlan Huckleby
08-26-2018, 02:06 PM
my guess is that someone realizes that our training staff can't fix that problem and know that burkes is gonna end up out for awhile

I've never heard of a healthy shoulder popping out with light contact. I bet Burke has some old injury that he concealed.

mraynrand
08-26-2018, 02:10 PM
I've never heard of a healthy shoulder popping out with light contact. I bet Burke has some old injury that he concealed.

or maybe the contact wasn't really all that light?

Joemailman
08-26-2018, 02:17 PM
Morrison is more a replacement for Jake Ryan than he is of Burks. Morrison is a run stopper with limited coverage skills.

Harlan Huckleby
08-26-2018, 02:18 PM
from tweeter
Mike McCarthy says Oren Burks injury is "better than we anticipated." Doesn't think it will be a long term issue.

mraynrand
08-26-2018, 02:58 PM
They also had to realize (If they ever actually thought it in the first place) that there was no way Rollins was in any way going to put his nose in there as a run stopper.

mraynrand
08-26-2018, 03:02 PM
from tweeter
Mike McCarthy says Oren Burks injury is "better than we anticipated." Doesn't think it will be a long term issue.

well thank heaven for small miracles

Fritz
08-26-2018, 03:14 PM
well thank heaven for small miracles

Except, then, of course, it'll be "day-to-day" for about two weeks, at which point they'll put him on IR.

Harlan Huckleby
08-26-2018, 03:23 PM
Except, then, of course, it'll be "day-to-day" for about two weeks, at which point they'll put him on IR.

That's the spirit. Better to curse the darkness than to light a single candle.

pbmax
08-26-2018, 03:32 PM

One step at a time Fritz. Now we need to invoke some juju to stop him injuring another body part while rehabbing the first.

Joemailman
08-26-2018, 03:44 PM
Morrison was drafted 6 picks ahead of Blake Martinez in 2016. His draft profile:

ILB ANTONIO MORRISON FLORIDA SEC

DRAFTED BY: COLTSROUND4 PICK27 OVERALL125

GRADE 5.2

DRAFT ANALYSIS:

Morrison is another nice addition to the Ted Monachino attacking defense. The Florida product is built to play inside in a 34 and plays faster than his stopwatch times. More importantly, he brings a fiery attitude to a defense that ranked 26th. --Mark Dulgerian

6'1" HEIGHT

30 3/8" ARM LENGTH

232LBS. WEIGHT

9" HANDS

OVERVIEW

This two-time second-team All-SEC pick is undersized, but extremely productive; he hit triple digits in tackles in 2014 (101) and 2015 (103, leading the team), and doubled his impact in the backfield between those two seasons, going from six to 12 tackles for loss. The fact he played at all this fall was a tribute to his work ethic, as he came back from undergoing multiple surgeries on his left knee to repair an injury from the 2014 Birmingham Bowl. However, teams will have to check into his background due to two arrests (punching bouncer, barking at a police dog/resisting arrest) within five weeks in the summer of 2013. If he can convince general managers that his hard times are behind him, they'll bank on his talent.

PRO DAY RESULTS

40-yard dash: 5.1 seconds
20-yard short shuttle: 4.6 seconds
3-cone: 7.69 seconds
Vertical: 30 inches
Broad jump: 9 feet, 3 inches
Bench: 23 reps of 225 pounds

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS

Ultra competitive with unmatched intensity. Alpha male in the locker room who teammates gravitate toward. Work ethic on full display as he recovered from a severe knee injury two to three months ahead of schedule and in time for start of the season. Plus lateral quickness. Has burst to beat offensive lineman to a spot. Not content to sit back and wait on a play. Always in attack mode. Uses explosive hips to launch into his tackles with as much force as he can. Can turn, swivel and close ground with good change of direction. Was one of the best tackle finishers in the game in 2014. Plays with extraordinary balance and is very rarely off his feet. Used as an effective spy vs. mobile quarterbacks. Could become interesting blitz option as a pro. Refuses to stop pursuing until he hears the whistle.

WEAKNESSES

Suffered severe knee injury in bowl game last year that slowed his production this season. Missed seven tackles in 2015 after missing four in 2013 and 2014 combined. Undersized and lacking length for the inside backer spot. Tight strider who is more quick than fast. May not have play strength needed for his aggressive, physical style. Must learn to slip blocks and play skinny rather than always taking on all comers. Struggles to disengage quickly when locked up by offensive linemen. Doesn’t adjust pursuit path to runners, allowing combo blockers to find him. Lacks patience. Rushes downhill almost every snap and often runs himself into trouble and out of pursuit. Instincts and vision are poor. Easily fooled by play-action and can be a step late to diagnose the action. Prior off*-field incidents will need to be vetted.

DRAFT PROJECTION Round 7 or priority free agent

SOURCES TELL US "Write him up however you want, but he's a two-down MIKE linebacker who is tough as hell and a good football player. I worry much less about his 'negatives' than I do with what he can do." -- AFC general manager

NFL COMPARISON Denzel Perryman

BOTTOM LINE Glass eater who will be the first in line to battle. Morrison's leadership, toughness and aggressiveness will be exactly what NFL teams want, but his lack of instincts and size are barriers that may always hinder his pro potential. After his knee injury, Morrison's athleticism wasn't quite where it was in 2014 so he might be at full strength by 2016. Morrison may be too tight to play outside linebacker in a 4-*3 and lacking the instincts to play in the middle. His best fit could be as the WILB in a 3*-4 where he figures to be an eventual starter.

red
08-26-2018, 04:10 PM
They also had to realize (If they ever actually thought it in the first place) that there was no way Rollins was in any way going to put his nose in there as a run stopper.

there should be know way what so ever that rollins even makes the team

i had really high hopes for the guy when we drafted him, but he just doesn't have "it"

red
08-26-2018, 04:14 PM
hold on

can white people get arrested for barking on police dogs, or is that just for blacks?

cause i'm pretty sure i've done that in the past and never got in trouble

the scout report actually says teams need to do there homework on him because he punched a bouncer and barked at a police dog. then resisted arrested for barking at the dog

yeah, i'd probably tell the cop to get fucked too if he was trying to arrest me for barking at his dog

red
08-26-2018, 04:15 PM
i'm a little surprised a trade like this didn't happen the minute ryan was lost

Harlan Huckleby
08-26-2018, 04:21 PM
the scout report actually says teams need to do there homework on him because he punched a bouncer and barked at a police dog. then resisted arrested for barking at the dog

The full truth about the guy will come out. For now we just need to be patient and let Robert Muehler do his work.

wist43
08-26-2018, 04:24 PM
We can semi-survive with Martinez, Thomas, and Morrison... Don't think Martini has shown much, and Burks is as green as pea mush comin out the wrong end of a baby.

mraynrand
08-26-2018, 05:05 PM
The full truth about the guy will come out. For now we just need to be patient and let Robert Muehler do his work.

He's guilty of a rushing collision!

Zool
08-26-2018, 09:34 PM
i'm a little surprised a trade like this didn't happen the minute ryan was lost

Takes two to tango.

Cheesehead Craig
08-26-2018, 09:40 PM
Takes two to tango.

Three for a menage a trois, and four for bridge. While we're at it can you get me a nickel bag and a six-pack of beer?

run pMc
08-27-2018, 07:48 AM
Pipkins was unlikely to make the roster, Morrison could help, and sounds like he was miscast in the Colts new 4-3. Worth a shot. Anyone else think Burks won't make it thru the season with that shoulder?

Fritz
08-27-2018, 07:53 AM
We can semi-survive with Martinez, Thomas, and Morrison... Don't think Martini has shown much, and Burks is as green as pea mush comin out the wrong end of a baby.

So which end is the right end of the baby for pea mush to come out of?

Anti-Polar Bear
08-27-2018, 08:15 AM
Micah Fucking Hyde, 5.1 40!?!? Josh Sitton ran a faster time than that!

Packers acquire yet another sloth. Shaking my head.

Anti-Polar Bear
08-27-2018, 08:30 AM
hold on

can white people get arrested for barking on police dogs, or is that just for blacks?

cause i'm pretty sure i've done that in the past and never got in trouble

yeah, i'd probably tell the cop to get fucked too if he was trying to arrest me for barking at his dog

Fuck 5-0's.

Harlan Huckleby
08-27-2018, 09:33 AM
They should give Biegel a try at ILB.

pbmax
08-27-2018, 09:46 AM
They should give Biegel a try at ILB.

That's not a bad suggestion at all.

gbgary
08-27-2018, 09:49 AM
depth for depth. low risk. ted approved.

gbgary
08-27-2018, 09:54 AM
Micah Fucking Hyde, 5.1 40!?!? Josh Sitton ran a faster time than that!

Packers acquire yet another sloth. Shaking my head.

ilb plays in a phone booth. no need for blazing speed if he reads and reacts quickly. lead colts in tackling last season.

Teamcheez1
08-27-2018, 01:47 PM
Saw this quote:

He’s an early-down linebacker with poor speed, limiting him in pass coverage.

Really just Jake Ryan 2.0

mraynrand
08-27-2018, 02:09 PM
ilb plays in a phone booth. no need for blazing speed if he reads and reacts quickly. lead colts in tackling last season.

What’s a ‘phone booth?’

pbmax
08-27-2018, 02:16 PM
NM

Should have recognized the joke.

red
08-27-2018, 02:32 PM

accept when his name is AJ hawk and we're all throwing a fit because he looks slow

red
08-27-2018, 02:33 PM
What’s a ‘phone booth?’

theres one in florence, wi still

people get there pictures taken in it all the time

no clue if it still works or not

pbmax
08-27-2018, 02:59 PM
accept when his name is AJ hawk and we're all throwing a fit because he looks slow

He was supposed to be the 3 down backer. Then he became too small or injured to stand up to the pounding of a 2 down backer. It wasn't just slowness that hurt him. It was age and injuries.

mraynrand
08-27-2018, 06:09 PM
Hawk had nice coverage once of Tony Gonzales in 2007 at KC. Rare. Memorable.

Zool
08-28-2018, 09:31 AM
It was age and injuries.

And awareness. He studied under the master of drag down from behind tackles though.

Where is old Nick and his samurai sword lately?

run pMc
08-28-2018, 09:47 AM
The Hawk-Barnett and Hawk-Bishop combos weren't bad, especially compared to what followed. Hawk as a Day 2 pick would have been fine, and I wouldn't call him a bust, but he was underwhelming given his draft status and hype out of college and combine.

With a top 10 pick, fans want a playmaker, but with Hawk they got a solid, dependable player.

pbmax
08-28-2018, 11:07 AM
As a rookie at WILL, Hawk looked great. He looked very good for 2-3 years in a 3-4 too.

But he wasn't really built to be the a banger inside a 3-4. At some point age or injuries or weight cost him speed. His career trajectory would have been much smoother had he remained a weak side backer. Playing next to Barnett and Bishop, he was no longer getting protection and was often expected to take on guards one on one and hold a gap. It wasn't his forte. I have no problem with Hawk as a pick, sometimes circumstances just catch up to you.