PDA

View Full Version : Backup QB poll to end all backup QB polls

Harlan Huckleby
08-27-2018, 10:33 AM
Things look a bit different now. Second thoughts heading into cut down?

Harlan Huckleby
08-27-2018, 10:41 AM
I voted for long term. Protect Kiser & Boyle. It will accelerate their development. Hundley won't win more games than Kiser this season. Roll the dice.

Putting any QB on practice squad is risky. Boyle or Kiser might see better opportunity on another team without Aaron Rodgers.

mraynrand
08-27-2018, 10:51 AM
I'm going to punch you in the kizzer.

pbmax
08-27-2018, 11:21 AM
Should we consider spelling his name correctly?

Harlan Huckleby
08-27-2018, 11:26 AM
Should we consider spelling his name correctly?

He is "7" until he makes the team.

I still use Rogers for Rodgers so don't expect me to keep it straight.

Tony Oday
08-27-2018, 01:27 PM
I want Boyle to make the PS.

Harlan Huckleby
08-27-2018, 01:32 PM
I want Boyle to make the PS.

Most teams have the option to sign Boyle to their practice squad ahead of the Packers. Although Boyle is just a hope, I can easily see that one other team would rate Boyle as a slightly better prospect than their own refuse. Somebody like the Lions or Bears might even enjoy sticking it to the Packers.

Did most Packer fans forsee Lil Joe Callahan not making it to the PS a couple years ago? QBs with a chance have extra value.

Teamcheez1
08-27-2018, 01:40 PM
Most teams have the option to sign Boyle to their practice squad ahead of the Packers. Although Boyle is just a hope, I can easily see that one other team would rate Boyle as a slightly better prospect than their own refuse. Somebody like the Lions or Bears might even enjoy sticking it to the Packers.

Did most Packer fans forsee Lil Joe Callahan not making it to the PS a couple years ago? QBs with a chance have extra value.

No team would have a priority on signing Boyle unless it is to the active roster. Once he clears waivers, he can sign with any team's practice squad.

Harlan Huckleby
08-27-2018, 01:42 PM
No team would have a priority on signing Boyle unless it is to the active roster. Once he clears waivers, he can sign with any team's practice squad.

ya, I got that confused. But that makes even more practice squads available to Boyle. (An active roster seems unlikely.)

Harlan Huckleby
08-27-2018, 03:40 PM
Come to think of it, both Callahan and Taysom Hill slipped out of the Packer clutches.

And who can forget the tragic loss of Graham Harrell. Better keep Boyle on the roster. (They won't follow my advice.)

Bretsky
08-27-2018, 08:39 PM
Where is "they both suck" Bayle and the Saints Special teams ace....lol

Carolina_Packer
08-27-2018, 09:19 PM
ya, I got that confused. But that makes even more practice squads available to Boyle. (An active roster seems unlikely.)

If you're Boyle, you'll go wherever you feel you have the best shot at becoming the backup, and then hopefully staying long enough to have a shot. Also, if you are Boyle, do Hundley and/or Kizer scare you away from staying with the Packers practice squad should one of them likely win the job? I don't think the Packers will keep both Kizer and Hundley.

Yeah, if Boyle clears waivers, hopefully the Packers use a practice squad spot for him, given the uncertainty of the backup QB position.

Harlan Huckleby
08-27-2018, 10:45 PM
Yeah, if Boyle clears waivers, hopefully the Packers use a practice squad spot for him, given the uncertainty of the backup QB position.

So you probably meant to vote for only Kizer for the 53, but you voted for Boyle as well. Pollsters are tricky bastards. Don't feel bad, you voted correctly. Besides, there will be 2 or 3 more Backup QB polls where you can try again. Thank you for playing.

Pugger
08-28-2018, 07:53 AM
Right now Hundley is ahead of Kizer because he's been in the system longer. Gute traded away a former 1st round pick and it appears we were considering drafting Kizer but took King instead. I have this feeling both QBs will be kept and then they'll roll the dice and see if Boyle passes waivers so we can put him on the PS.

mraynrand
08-28-2018, 08:02 AM
...and it appears we were considering drafting Kizer but took King instead....

what, really? Do you have a source? This is interesting, I hadn't heard this before (or I forgot)...

Pugger
08-28-2018, 08:33 AM
what, really? Do you have a source? This is interesting, I hadn't heard this before (or I forgot)...

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-path-to-the-draft/0ap3000000803876/Rapoport-Packers-considering-drafting-DeShone-Kizer

hoosier
08-28-2018, 08:42 AM
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2706368-packers-reportedly-considering-deshone-kizer-with-33rd-draft-pick

I voted for Kizer and Boyle. But that was yesterday. The more I think about it, the more keeping Kizer and Hundley makes sense. Essentially, their decision will be to kick the decision down the road and keep two guys who wear the curse of unrealized potential. McCarthy's rep as QB guru is taking a bit of a hit here.

mraynrand
08-28-2018, 10:35 AM
McCarthy's rep as QB guru is taking a bit of a hit here.

Only if they have to play.

Stubby has already taken the hit - for last year. He almost lost his job because of it, and I suspect he's on a short leash right now. TT and Stubby both look terrible for the Hundley debacle (and 2013 too). I'm still kinda shocked they didn't just get rid of Hundley, but they took the blame and have now doubled down. But only Stubby is really left to fire. And his ass will be fired if anything close to last year happens this year.

Carolina_Packer
08-28-2018, 11:33 AM
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2706368-packers-reportedly-considering-deshone-kizer-with-33rd-draft-pick

I voted for Kizer and Boyle. But that was yesterday. The more I think about it, the more keeping Kizer and Hundley makes sense. Essentially, their decision will be to kick the decision down the road and keep two guys who wear the curse of unrealized potential. McCarthy's rep as QB guru is taking a bit of a hit here.

Rodgers makes any coach look good.

Harlan Huckleby
08-28-2018, 11:39 AM
But that was yesterday.
I see we're going to need a new poll every day - a daily tracking poll to monitor this important issue.

The more I think about it, the more keeping Kizer and Hundley makes sense. Essentially, their decision will be to kick the decision down the road and keep two guys who wear the curse of unrealized potential
There are no good choices. But I don't think the (arguable) slight superior showing of Hundley is worth these costs:
1 you lose a backup by carrying 3 QBs. This must matter significantly or the pack & NFL wouldn't be trending to carrying 2 QBs
2 Huntley has an established pattern of playing much better in preseason than regular season. His decent play so far could be fool's gold.
3 If you have to play Huntley, there is a giant chance he will struggle in some games. Now he has to deal with added pressure of having Kizer over his shoulder. 90% of fans want Kizer. You are buying a sure QB controversy.
4 The third roster spot, if you use it, might be better invested in protecting Boyle. You lose that option.

PS autocorrect keeps changing Hundley to Huntley. Fuck it

Gotarace
08-28-2018, 11:41 AM
I wonder sometimes what Mikey gets Aaron for Christmas...

Harlan Huckleby
08-28-2018, 11:47 AM

Are you saying Rodgers is ugly?

pbmax
08-28-2018, 11:55 AM
A helpful reminder of who some of the backups have been in the NFL. I now hand this post over to Zach from the Titans version of Why Your Team Sucks

Zach:

Ever since the Titans moved to Nashville in 1999 there have been only two seasons where our starting quarterback has played a full regular season. The first was in 2002 with Steve McNair and the last was in 2011 with Matt Hasselbeck. This has led to Neil O’Donnell, Billy Volek, Matt Mauck, Kerry Collins, Vince Young, Rusty Smith, Jake Locker, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Zach Mettenberger, Charlie Whitehurst, and Matt fucking Cassel having to play regular season games for us. Fuck our injury prone quarterbacks, fuck Jeff Fisher, fuck Ken Whisenhunt, and double fuck Mike Mularkey with a rusty pitchfork.

Harlan Huckleby
08-28-2018, 12:01 PM
Shit, some pretty decent backups in that guy's rant.

mraynrand
08-28-2018, 12:02 PM

As always, I point out that Rodgers came in from the Tedford system, and was remade under Stubby's mentorship. No doubt there are reasons to believe that Stubby doesn't have a magic wand QB finisher, but there's also a ton of evidence that Tedford QBs tended to fail just about everywhere. I think it's a mistake to elevate one over the other in assigning responsibility for their success together.

Pugger
08-28-2018, 02:11 PM
Only if they have to play.

Stubby has already taken the hit - for last year. He almost lost his job because of it, and I suspect he's on a short leash right now. TT and Stubby both look terrible for the Hundley debacle (and 2013 too). I'm still kinda shocked they didn't just get rid of Hundley, but they took the blame and have now doubled down. But only Stubby is really left to fire. And his ass will be fired if anything close to last year happens this year.

Where do you get this notion?

mraynrand
08-28-2018, 02:57 PM
Where do you get this notion?

Well, they/he scuttled almost everything around him. You figure that's about as close to getting fired as you can get without actually being canned... I know some see his power as being increased, but I kinda think he's on shakier ground.

I think he kept Hundley because he has to prove that he can make him work out. He basically threw his staff under the bus - at least mostly - by saying Hundley wasn't properly prepared. So if he isn't prepared this year, isn't that totally on Stubby?

Joemailman
08-28-2018, 03:06 PM
Don't know if he was close to being fired. But the fact that Murphy now has MM reporting directly to him, and can fire him, probably means MM is on a short leash.

gbgary
08-28-2018, 03:37 PM
the hundley was unprepared argument is only valid for the first couple of starts he had. after that it's testimony on hundley's abilities.

hundley's favorite play is still "roll right-toss right-gatoraid splash" on one...3-18 HUT!

Zool
08-28-2018, 04:23 PM
MM has more power therefore more fault if it goes bad. They are giving him rope to hang himself.

mraynrand
08-28-2018, 04:25 PM
the hundley was unprepared argument is only valid for the first couple of starts he had. after that it's testimony on hundley's abilities.

hundley's favorite play is still "roll right-toss right-gatoraid splash" on one...3-18 HUT!

awesome

pbmax
08-28-2018, 05:25 PM
Don't know if he was close to being fired. But the fact that Murphy now has MM reporting directly to him, and can fire him, probably means MM is on a short leash.

Well, put it this way, he didn't earn an even medium term extension. He got a one year extension to keep the subject from coming up all off season long while Gutekunst got his feet wet.

Close to fired? Probably more close to fired that close to locking up the job for a few more years.

Joemailman
08-28-2018, 05:38 PM
The Green Bay Packers aren’t planning to hide rookie quarterback Tim Boyle during the preseason finale in Kansas City.

Packers coach Mike McCarthy said Boyle will likely get the majority of the reps against the Chiefs on Thursday night.

“It’s important to get Tim probably more snaps than the other two because he did not have an opportunity to play in Oakland,” McCarthy said Tuesday.

Not sure if it means anything, other than they're not trying to hide him.

Fritz
08-28-2018, 07:12 PM
He's like the mistress the belligerent husband gets tired of hiding.

"I can't do this any more! I don't care if the world knows!"

Then he dumps Boyle and goes back to Hundley/Kizer.

hoosier
08-28-2018, 08:48 PM
PS autocorrect keeps changing Hundley to Huntley. Fuck it

If autocorrect cannot remember the guy's name, that must be a sign. Fire'em.

Harlan Huckleby
08-28-2018, 10:28 PM
Not sure if it means anything, other than they're not trying to hide him.

I hope it means Boyle is in their plans for a possible roster spot. Can't think of another reason to play him.

I'm very, very grumpy over the likely signing of both Hundley and Kizer to the 53. It is such a defeat. Ya, each guy brings something to the table, I get the argument for keeping both. But using two roster spots for two guys who really don't help the team much in 2018 sucks. Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dumb. I'd feel better if they made a decision and only kept one, even if it was Cuntley. Sorry, dang autocorrect again.

Carolina_Packer
08-29-2018, 11:39 AM
Are you saying Rodgers is ugly?

I like to watch.

Carolina_Packer
08-29-2018, 11:44 AM
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/08/29/packers-trade-brett-hundley-to-seahawks/

He's Seattle's problem now. Kizer backup, Boyle to PS.

Harlan Huckleby
Now we enter the championship round.

Will it be Kiser, or Kiser & Boyle?

We know that Carolina & Hoosier only stumbled into the championship round through ineptness and dumb luck, but that's OK. History often is made this way.

Whups, I guess Carolina originally said that Hundley would go, so he's legit in the winners circle. The circle of trust.

mraynrand
I'm very, very grumpy over the likely signing of both Hundley and Kizer to the 53. It is such a defeat.

Oh well, I will have to find my schadenfreude elsewhere...

pbmax
08-29-2018, 01:48 PM
Demovsky and Bill Huber are both reporting that right now that Boyle is on the projected 53. There have been inquiries about him prior to Hundley deal.

Pugger
08-30-2018, 10:32 AM
With Rodgers staying home and Hundley is the northwest we're gonna see a lot of Kizer and Boyle tonight.

Harlan Huckleby
09-02-2018, 01:55 PM
It's time to salute the coalition of common sense, the winners circle.

Carolina_Packer
:bclap:

Cheesehead Craig

gbgary

Gotarace

Harlan Huckleby

hoosier
https://i.imgur.com/inoqJWK.gif

Smidgeon

Teamcheez1

And last but not .... well, lastly
Zool

Zool
09-03-2018, 03:17 PM
Mine was more of a hope than a vote. The Hun is a bad QB but if Rodgers goes down again, I would like backup to have been with the team longer than a week.

smuggler
09-03-2018, 04:54 PM
Voted Hundo n Boyle by clicking wrong radio button. Kizer and Boyle.

Harlan Huckleby
09-03-2018, 05:24 PM
Voted Hundo n Boyle by clicking wrong radio button. Kizer and Boyle.

Well, we operate on the honor system around here, so you too can be a big winner.

klutz

mmmdk
09-05-2018, 07:33 AM
I like Kiser.