PDA

View Full Version : 2018 Drafted Rookies....So Far

Smidgeon
08-28-2018, 12:14 PM
Jaire Alexander CB - Definitely belongs in the NFL as a starter. Could be a star.
Josh Jackson CB - Definitely belongs in the NFL as a starter. Could be a star.
Oren Burks ILB - Starter as a rookie due to injury, but not an embarrassment. Could be a long term starter.
J'Mon Moore WR - Appears to have the presence of an NFL receiver. Doesn't look like a rookie even if his production looks like a rookie's. Could be a good long term compliment to Adams.
Cole Madison OL - Incomplete. Hopefully know more about this story at some point.
JK Scott P - If he can find consistency, he could be a steal. His leg strength is real.
Marquez Valdes-Scantling WR - Has speed but haven't seen a lot of wiggle/body control. Hopefully that's just because he's thinking too much right now.
Equanimeous St. Brown WR - Has speed but haven't seen enough to elevate him past the practice squad.
James Looney DE - Haven't seen enough to elevate him past the practice squad.
Hunter Bradley LS - Neck and neck with a nondrafted long snapper. Still worth a draft pick flyer in the 7th.
Kendall Donnerson OLB - Made some plays against scrubs in pursuit during preseason. Too early to tell if he's Janis (plays well in preseason but not against top tier talent) or Gilbert (plays well in preseason and develops to be successful against top tier talent).

By my count, that's 5 of the first six picks (with Madison being completely unknown) that appear to belong in the NFL as starters or better (projected). The others could develop as well, but so far there appears to be NFL talent in Gutey's first draft. Let's hope the trajectories hold for the first five, and the lower round flyers take the time they need to develop.

gbgary
08-28-2018, 12:32 PM
one starter. most of the rest are situational or rotation guys this year.

Fritz
08-28-2018, 01:45 PM
Jaire Alexander CB - Definitely belongs in the NFL as a starter. Could be a star.
Josh Jackson CB - Definitely belongs in the NFL as a starter. Could be a star.
Oren Burks ILB - Starter as a rookie due to injury, but not an embarrassment. Could be a long term starter.
J'Mon Moore WR - Appears to have the presence of an NFL receiver. Doesn't look like a rookie even if his production looks like a rookie's. Could be a good long term compliment to Adams.
Cole Madison OL - Incomplete. Hopefully know more about this story at some point.
JK Scott P - If he can find consistency, he could be a steal. His leg strength is real.
Marquez Valdes-Scantling WR - Has speed but haven't seen a lot of wiggle/body control. Hopefully that's just because he's thinking too much right now.
Equanimeous St. Brown WR - Has speed but haven't seen enough to elevate him past the practice squad.
James Looney DE - Haven't seen enough to elevate him past the practice squad.
Hunter Bradley LS - Neck and neck with a nondrafted long snapper. Still worth a draft pick flyer in the 7th.
Kendall Donnerson OLB - Made some plays against scrubs in pursuit during preseason. Too early to tell if he's Janis (plays well in preseason but not against top tier talent) or Gilbert (plays well in preseason and develops to be successful against top tier talent).

By my count, that's 5 of the first six picks (with Madison being completely unknown) that appear to belong in the NFL as starters or better (projected). The others could develop as well, but so far there appears to be NFL talent in Gutey's first draft. Let's hope the trajectories hold for the first five, and the lower round flyers take the time they need to develop.

Good thread. I hope your analysis is correct.

pbmax
08-28-2018, 02:08 PM
If you get both CBs as good starters, Burks as good dime ILB, you have to consider the draft successful. It looks like there is a chance for that to happen so far

if you get one more starter (even a LS) its an unqualified success.

Zool
08-28-2018, 04:19 PM
If you get both CBs as good starters, Burks as good dime ILB, you have to consider the draft successful. It looks like there is a chance for that to happen so far

if you get one more starter (even a LS) its an unqualified success.

I think if both CBs end up starting together in GB in the next 2 years, and playing at a high level, it's a rousing success. Taking a position of weakness and making it a strength in 1 draft would be outstanding.

mraynrand
08-28-2018, 04:24 PM
I think if both CBs end up starting together in GB in the next 2 years, and playing at a high level, it's a rousing success. Taking a position of weakness and making it a strength in 1 draft would be outstanding.

Well, it would probably be two drafts - because to become a position of strength, Jones and King would also need to work out and be solid starters (talking about the entire secondary I guess, not just corners).

Zool
08-28-2018, 04:24 PM
Well, it would probably be two drafts - because to become a position of strength, Jones and King would also need to work out and be solid starters.

Good point. If all 4 work out, that's almost amazing. That's hitting on your first 2 draft picks in consecutive years with starters.

Joemailman
08-28-2018, 05:29 PM
I'm hopeful, but I remember that Randall and Rollins both had pretty good rookie years.

Guiness
08-28-2018, 08:40 PM
I'm hopeful, but I remember that Randall and Rollins both had pretty good rookie years.

I was kind of thinking the same - in the last 4 drafts the Pack have taken a DB 3 times with their first 2 picks - 6 out of 8 picks. If they get it it's more of a case of 'about time' than 'good job'.

hoosier
08-28-2018, 08:53 PM

Even if in the meantime what were once positions of strength (OL, WR) become unstable?

call_me_ishmael
08-28-2018, 09:33 PM
Are the Packers thinking/playing Josh Jones at safety now? How is he doing? Last year he was mostly an LB, so that's a bit surprising to someone who isn't following camp too closely.

Joemailman
08-28-2018, 11:20 PM
Are the Packers thinking/playing Josh Jones at safety now? How is he doing? Last year he was mostly an LB, so that's a bit surprising to someone who isn't following camp too closely.

He's had a quiet preseason. I think the plan was to play him mostly at Safety. However, the injury to Burks might get him some time as dime ILB.

Zool
08-29-2018, 01:56 AM
Even if in the meantime what were once positions of strength (OL, WR) become unstable?

I think so. The secondary was a dumpster fire.

hoosier
08-29-2018, 07:31 AM
I agree. But the decline in talent and depth in recent years has affected more than just on e position group. You spend two drafts restocking the secondary and, even if you do it well, it is still kind of like sticking your finger in the dike. Presumably they won't need to devote two full drafts to redoing the offensive line, but in the meantime this team still has holes and will not survive major injuries at key positions the way they have in the past.

run pMc
08-29-2018, 08:53 AM
Well they drafted 3WRs and brought in 2 TE's via FA this year plus Kendricks last year, so they've overhauled the WRs. As for the OL, I think they were counting on one of Murphy/Spriggs/Pankey to emerge...they seem to have a lot of interior linemen so I'm less concerned there. But yeah, tackle is a mess, especially with Bulaga's injury history. Maybe they thought Cole Madison could help there.

Spending so many picks on the secondary and the issue of 'opportunity cost' certainly is forum-worthy discussion. You can only get by with UDFA's and mid/low round picks in the secondary for so long.

I like this draft better than the Randall-Rollins picks. Seems like there's a chance of 3-4 guys being long term starters, but I'm going to play wait-and-see with the rookies.

I think the adage about needing 3 years to grade the draft is true, but for now it looks positive.

mraynrand
08-29-2018, 09:05 AM
You can only get by with UDFA's and mid/low round picks in the secondary for so long.

You could kinda say the same thing about wide receivers. And the O-line. Especially if the few higher picks you do use are busts.

Zool
08-29-2018, 01:17 PM

Don't bring me down BRUCE