PDA

View Full Version : Practice squad signings

Patler
09-02-2018, 12:29 PM
Thought someone would have started a thread for this already. Anyone interested?

So far:

Pankey
Donnerson
Looney

Patler
09-02-2018, 12:33 PM
Lancaster
Martini
Austin Davis

Note: Ahmad Thomas went to the Colts PS.

Joemailman
09-02-2018, 12:45 PM
No surprise Thomas got picked up. I was quite surprised Packers cut him.

Joemailman
09-02-2018, 12:55 PM
– LB Greer Martini (Rob Demovsky)

– C Austin Davis (Ryan Wood)

– Saints sign OLB Vince Biegel to practice squad (Herbie Teope)

Patler
09-02-2018, 12:56 PM

I wonder if GB tried to sign him, and he picked the Colts as a better opportunity?? Or did the Packers prefer Martini? Or was Martini their fallback, when Thomas turned them down?

Patler
09-02-2018, 12:57 PM
Biegel signed with the Saints.

Bretsky
09-02-2018, 01:13 PM
GOOD LUCK VINCE; YOU WERE DOOMED FORM THE START, being part of the last of ThanksTed's tradedowns

Fritz
09-02-2018, 01:42 PM
Biegel showed nothing. Surprised they kept Crawford over Thomas. Special teams?

Harlan Huckleby
09-02-2018, 02:02 PM

But are you surprised that he ditched the Packers?

I expect he'll get signed to a roster somewhere soon - maybe the packers bring him back?

Harlan Huckleby
09-02-2018, 02:03 PM

Thomas should be good on special teams.

Well, we don't know these guys at all, maybe they just didn't like his attitude or something.

Harlan Huckleby
09-02-2018, 02:05 PM
The NFL rosters are preposterously small. Lots of guys who are cut now will be on rosters, or at least practice squads sometime this season.

The journey just begins.

pbmax
09-02-2018, 02:05 PM

There were points made by the beat guys that the team really liked what they saw from Crawford after he showed up in the middle of camp. But I don't know if that is simply the only thing they can say about him or if he actually outplayed Thomas.

pbmax
09-02-2018, 02:07 PM
https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/packers-miss-out-on-waiver-claims-begin-adding-to-practice-squad-733?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Packers received no waiver claims and article says cryptically that they seem to have made some claims but weren't awarded anyone. I don't know what to make about Gute moving from 14 to 18 in the waiver claim line.

Teamcheez1
09-02-2018, 02:40 PM

" Inside linebacker Ahmad Thomas hoped to return to the Packers, but a source said they turned him away. "

Patler
09-02-2018, 02:49 PM
https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/packers-miss-out-on-waiver-claims-begin-adding-to-practice-squad-733?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
I don't know what to make about Gute moving from 14 to 18 in the waiver claim line.

Is the author suggesting that the trades impacted the Packers waiver claim position? I don't believe trades matter, but I haven't checked to be sure.

wist43
09-02-2018, 03:16 PM
" Inside linebacker Ahmad Thomas hoped to return to the Packers, but a source said they turned him away. "

He was way better than Biegel or Fackrell... and Burks will take a lot of time, if he can play at all.

wist43
09-02-2018, 03:18 PM
The Packers, even under Pettine it would seem, are just askew in how they view defensive players.

I would hope that at some point they would do some self-scouting and look at players that they like and failed, vs players they passed on but succeeded somewhere else. It seems they still haven't gotten the memo.

wthigoot
09-02-2018, 04:22 PM
NFL.com has:

Bouagnon RB
A. Davis OL
Donnerson OLB
Kerridge FB
Lancaster DE
Looney DE
Martini ILB
Pankey OL

2 more to go. 4 defense, 4 offense.

Maybe CB/S and WR/TE? D. Brown and Byrd maybe.

pbmax
09-02-2018, 05:39 PM
Is the author suggesting that the trades impacted the Packers waiver claim position? I don't believe trades matter, but I haven't checked to be sure.

Its completely unclear to me. I left the article with more questions that answers about anything other than the fact that they were awarded no waiver claims. Its good Nagler is back there because they need an editor.

For one thing, if he's reading the transaction page that lists claims (how else does he know they dropped from 14 to 18?), how does he not know who they tried to claim?

Pugger
09-02-2018, 06:01 PM
I'm still hoping Sheehy returns...

Teamcheez1
09-02-2018, 06:28 PM
I'm still hoping Sheehy returns...

Conor Sheehy

Gave him the hometown, feel good tryout, but I don't see him as providing anything we need.

Strengths: Experienced player, three-year starter. Stout against the run, plays with good leverage and keeps gap integrity in run fits. Solidly built player. Understands how to read and react to different blocking schemes.

Weaknesses: Is essentially a run-only defender. Offers little in pass rush. Maxed out frame. Average at best athleticism, struggles in space as the read player in zone read. Lacks a pass rush plan.

Patler
09-02-2018, 07:05 PM
Packer website article states they have signed eight:

The Green Bay Packers signed the following players to the practice squad: RB Joel Bouagnon, C Austin Davis, LB Kendall Donnerson, FB Joe Kerridge, DL Tyler Lancaster, DL James Looney, LB Greer Martini and G/T Adam Pankey. The transactions were announced Sunday by General Manager Brian Gutekunst.
https://www.packers.com/news/packers-sign-eight-players-to-practice-squad

Pugger
09-03-2018, 05:10 AM
Conor Sheehy

Gave him the hometown, feel good tryout, but I don't see him as providing anything we need.

Strengths: Experienced player, three-year starter. Stout against the run, plays with good leverage and keeps gap integrity in run fits. Solidly built player. Understands how to read and react to different blocking schemes.

Weaknesses: Is essentially a run-only defender. Offers little in pass rush. Maxed out frame. Average at best athleticism, struggles in space as the read player in zone read. Lacks a pass rush plan.

I know. It would be fun to have my sister's nephew play for his hometown team.

Joemailman
09-03-2018, 10:47 AM
Marwin Evans and Tony (Is that Donatello?) Brown added to PS.

pbmax
09-03-2018, 11:15 AM
Marwin Evans and Tony (Is that Donatello?) Brown added to PS.

I suppose there is a chance they go with 2 RBs for Week 1 on the 53. Or they promote Bourgeois temporarily.