PDA

View Full Version : Wither Le'Veon Bell?

Guiness
09-05-2018, 07:27 PM
Le'Veon Bell situation escalated quite a lot today!

Game walk-through is Wednesday, sounds like some of the players were expecting him to show up. Last month his agent did say he'd follow the same plan as last year, so short of any other statement, it's understandable why they thought that. Pouncey (he of the Free Hernandez ball cap), Roethlisberger and Foster (OG) all called him out today.

He's been pretty quiet, and his agent had a little to say that didn't amount to much. I'm not sure what sort of a plan he could have at this point. Florio at PFT has been salivating at the possibility of him staying home until week 10.

They rode him hard last year, 400+ touches. I'm sure he looked at Demarco Murray's career arc after his 450 touch season.

Joemailman
09-05-2018, 10:32 PM
His offensive linemen are pissed. 2 said so today.

Joemailman
09-05-2018, 10:47 PM
Ed Bouchette

Verified account

@EdBouchette
Follow Follow @EdBouchette
More
Steelers teammates not happy with Le’Veon Bell no show, led by vet G Ramon Foster, their player rep:
“What do you do? here’s a guy who doesn’t give a damn, I guess so we’ll treatit as such. I just hate it came to this

Anti-Polar Bear
09-06-2018, 05:57 AM
A 1st and 4th and Monty for Bell. Just do it, Gut!

pbmax
09-06-2018, 08:58 AM
Players are figuring this out. Slowly.

Gregg Rosenthal @greggrosenthal
The Steelers may not like it, but skipping half a season at age 26 sounds like a perfect way to maximize free agency value and keep Bell’s body fresh.

One consequence of Roger Goodall's maximum PR toughness, is that the players are more likely to buy into the idea that holding out or otherwise refusing service in some way, is a risk worth taking.

woodbuck27
09-06-2018, 09:42 AM

TROUBLE.

bobblehead
09-06-2018, 12:34 PM
Le'Veon Bell situation escalated quite a lot today!

Game walk-through is Wednesday, sounds like some of the players were expecting him to show up. Last month his agent did say he'd follow the same plan as last year, so short of any other statement, it's understandable why they thought that. Pouncey (he of the Free Hernandez ball cap), Roethlisberger and Foster (OG) all called him out today.

He's been pretty quiet, and his agent had a little to say that didn't amount to much. I'm not sure what sort of a plan he could have at this point. Florio at PFT has been salivating at the possibility of him staying home until week 10.

They rode him hard last year, 400+ touches. I'm sure he looked at Demarco Murray's career arc after his 450 touch season.

Assuming his plan is to sign the last week he gets credit for an accrued season so they can't over use him and then he can hit FA next year and it would be hard to franchise him.

bobblehead
09-06-2018, 12:35 PM
Players are figuring this out. Slowly.

Gregg Rosenthal @greggrosenthal
The Steelers may not like it, but skipping half a season at age 26 sounds like a perfect way to maximize free agency value and keep Bell’s body fresh.

One consequence of Roger Goodall's maximum PR toughness, is that the players are more likely to buy into the idea that holding out or otherwise refusing service in some way, is a risk worth taking.

Since he is NOT under contract he has every right to use this strategy. I don't blame him one bit. Julio Jones BS this offseason was the bullshit I hate.

hoosier
09-06-2018, 01:37 PM

Why not throw in Kenny Clark too while you're at it. And so that you can then go and sign Bell for the $75M, 5 year contract he probably wants with 50M of it guaranteed. What could go wrong?!?

Fosco33
09-06-2018, 03:20 PM
https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/07/18/comparing-efficiency-of-packers-trio-of-rbs-to-leveon-bell-in-2017/

Anti-Polar Bear
09-07-2018, 02:50 AM
Why not throw in Kenny Clark too while you're at it. And so that you can then go and sign Bell for the $75M, 5 year contract he probably wants with 50M of it guaranteed. What could go wrong?!?

I sense sarcasm, but why the hell not? Fat guys are a dime a dozen. Peter Griffin could be taught to do what Clark does, which is pretty much eating blocks. If I were a GM, I’d never draft a fat guy (OLman/DLman) til maybe the 4th round, and I’d only use a compensatory pick.

5-75-50 would be a bargain. With Bell, Dez, Adams, Cobb, Graham, and obviously the Great Arm of Butte, who needs a punter? Touchdown every drive.

Anti-Polar Bear
09-07-2018, 02:53 AM
TROUBLE.

Great song by Coldplay. :)

hoosier
09-07-2018, 07:45 AM
I sense sarcasm, but why the hell not? Fat guys are a dime a dozen. Peter Griffin could be taught to do what Clark does, which is pretty much eating blocks. If I were a GM, I’d never draft a fat guy (OLman/DLman) til maybe the 4th round, and I’d only use a compensatory pick.

5-75-50 would be a bargain. With Bell, Dez, Adams, Cobb, Graham, and obviously the Great Arm of Butte, who needs a punter? Touchdown every drive.

Read Fosco's link: Packers three-headed monster had the same efficiency per touch as Bell last year. And even if Bell's performance were somehow that much better than what the Packers have pieced together, what do you think the odds are that Bell is still performing at an elite level five years from now?

Defensive linemen who can shed blocks and generate pass rush are a rare breed. Running backs who can be productive for a year or two are a dime a dozen. Invest wisely.

bobblehead
09-08-2018, 09:37 AM
Read Fosco's link: Packers three-headed monster had the same efficiency per touch as Bell last year. And even if Bell's performance were somehow that much better than what the Packers have pieced together, what do you think the odds are that Bell is still performing at an elite level five years from now?

Defensive linemen who can shed blocks and generate pass rush are a rare breed. Running backs who can be productive for a year or two are a dime a dozen. Invest wisely.

I would agree that they can be very efficient, but we all saw what happened the day Rodgers got back. A VERY successful run game got thrown to the scrap heap as MM called 9 running plays the entire game and ARod ran for his life all game long.

If MM could ever learn that ARod with the same gameplan he used for Hundly would be nearly unstoppable we would be....nearly unstoppable.

Guiness
09-08-2018, 12:22 PM
No word at all from Bell. A little surprised him or his agent isn't releasing some sort of a statement.

Fritz
09-08-2018, 12:24 PM
Le'Veon...Le'Veon likes his money.

He makes a lot, they say.

pbmax
09-08-2018, 12:56 PM
No word at all from Bell. A little surprised him or his agent isn't releasing some sort of a statement.

Last time the agent talked, he turned the entire offense against him. They might be better off with silence.

Anti-Polar Bear
09-08-2018, 01:05 PM

As a certain fat coach likes to say, stats are for losers. Nobody and his baby’s mama fear the ‘3-headed monster.’ Opponents game-plan to keep Twelve in the “well,” not the mediocre run game.

Anti-Polar Bear
09-08-2018, 01:15 PM
I would agree that they can be very efficient, but we all saw what happened the day Rodgers got back. A VERY successful run game got thrown to the scrap heap as MM called 9 running plays the entire game and ARod ran for his life all game long.

If MM could ever learn that ARod with the same gameplan he used for Hundly would be nearly unstoppable we would be....nearly unstoppable.

You realize that the Great Arm of Butte has the liberty to liberally alter McCarthy’s play calls, right? 12 switches run to pass all the time.

Ever since McCarthy conservatively demanded that 12 ran the rock out of the fuckin GOALLINE formation from the Packers’ 40, not just on 1st and 10, not just on 2nd and 12, but fuck, also on 3rd and long, in the NFC Title game against the Seahawks, I say the Pack are better off with 12 calling the plays.

hoosier
09-08-2018, 08:14 PM

Yet another reason not to invest $16M per year in a running back :-)

Teamcheez1
09-08-2018, 08:26 PM
Le'Veon...Le'Veon likes his money.

He makes a lot, they say.

He just gave up $855k in his first game check.

pbmax
09-09-2018, 11:12 AM
Might not simply have been the agent. Players might have aired disagreement anyway, agent just gave them the question from beat guys.

Peter Schrader @PSchrags
Michael Vick spoke to Ramon Foster yesterday. Says the offensive linemen were told by Bell that he’d be here his week. When he no-showed, they called and texted and couldn’t get a straight response from him back. They’re concerned about Cleveland and James Conner now. @NFLonFOX

Fritz
09-09-2018, 12:44 PM
He just gave up $855k in his first game check.

That's about eleven years' worth of my current annual salary.

So I stand by my song lyrics.

bobblehead
09-10-2018, 09:50 AM
You realize that the Great Arm of Butte has the liberty to liberally alter McCarthy’s play calls, right? 12 switches run to pass all the time.

Ever since McCarthy conservatively demanded that 12 ran the rock out of the fuckin GOALLINE formation from the Packers’ 40, not just on 1st and 10, not just on 2nd and 12, but fuck, also on 3rd and long, in the NFC Title game against the Seahawks, I say the Pack are better off with 12 calling the plays.

I realize that and I think you run what the defense allows you to run. In that title game MM was bad. He put in personnel telegraphing the run then ran and everyone knew it. He put the game in the hands of Brian Bostick, instead of Aaron Rodgers. Nuff said.