PDA

View Full Version : Week 1 Other Games

pbmax
09-06-2018, 07:34 PM
Ok, NFC matchup Birds vs Dirty Birds. Let’s have everyone get a soft tissue injury except Julio Jones :lol:

Guiness
09-06-2018, 08:05 PM
I saw somewhere that the Falcons - on the road - are the favorites? How does that happen?

Guiness
09-06-2018, 08:06 PM
National anthem over, no feathers were ruffled

Rastak
09-06-2018, 08:06 PM
Happy 2018 NFL season rats!

Rastak
09-06-2018, 08:08 PM
Nice to have Football back, such as it is these days I guess.

pbmax
09-06-2018, 08:11 PM
I saw somewhere that the Falcons - on the road - are the favorites? How does that happen?

No Wentz.

pbmax
09-06-2018, 08:11 PM
Nice to have Football back, such as it is these days I guess.

And on cue, season starts with a penalty.

Rastak
09-06-2018, 08:12 PM

Foles looked like shit during the preseason.

They have a nice defense though, although that's been outlawed this year.

Rastak
09-06-2018, 08:12 PM
And on cue, season starts with a penalty.

Lol, yuppers.

pbmax
09-06-2018, 08:13 PM
Why have your best WR on the field at goal line?

That’s just crazy talk! Falcons don’t rely on him at all.

Rastak
09-06-2018, 08:13 PM
I HATE that call....on the road kick the fucking FG you overthinking moron.

edit: plus a slower developing play against a really good defense.

pbmax
09-06-2018, 08:19 PM
This punt is why you go for it on fourth down and don’t fear not converting. But the play calling in the red zone was terrible.

Rastak
09-06-2018, 08:21 PM
Yea, I know. You miss you pin them down but how about scoring 3 and hold 'em on the next series?

Rastak
09-06-2018, 08:23 PM
Michael Bennett can shove it up his ass. He was an A-Hole before any controversial talk.

pbmax
09-06-2018, 08:23 PM
Yea, I know. You miss you pin them down but how about scoring 3 and hold 'em on the next series?

You do want to convert at slightly higher rate than half the time.

Rastak
09-06-2018, 08:26 PM
Damn, was a nice screen.......Falcons controlling the game thus far but Philly has a really nice defense although their stock market investment performance off the field is down since earlier in the year.

pbmax
09-06-2018, 08:26 PM
Is falling down and rolling over a football move?

Rastak
09-06-2018, 08:28 PM
Who knows these days? NFL makes it up on the fly.

pbmax
09-06-2018, 08:32 PM
Ran a rub and threw it to the rub-ber.

pbmax
09-06-2018, 08:32 PM
In other news, Matt Ryan is very overrated.

Rastak
09-06-2018, 08:34 PM
In other news, Matt Ryan is very overrated.

Hard to argue with your take....not real impressive and REALLY getting the bucks.

Guiness
09-06-2018, 08:35 PM
No Wentz.

Something wrong with having the reigning SB mvp on the field?

Guiness
09-06-2018, 08:39 PM
that was interesting, one of the better RPO descriptions, complete with diagram, I've heard from an announcer just delivered by Collinsworth

Rastak
09-06-2018, 08:41 PM
that was interesting, one of the better RPO descriptions, complete with diagram, I've heard from an announcer just delivered by Collinsworth

He's actually pretty good as an announcer.

Guiness
09-06-2018, 08:47 PM
He's actually pretty good as an announcer.

he needs to stop saying "now here's a guy..."

pbmax
09-06-2018, 08:47 PM
They should fire Sarkisian at halftime.

pbmax
09-06-2018, 08:49 PM
Something wrong with having the reigning SB mvp on the field?

People remember the old Foles. And everyone had the winter to study Pederson’s offense.

Rastak
09-06-2018, 08:49 PM
People remember the old Foles. And everyone had the winter to study Pederson’s offense.

What you said.

pbmax
09-06-2018, 08:52 PM
Hard to argue with your take....not real impressive and REALLY getting the bucks.

He’s actually good, but his MVP numbers were more Shanahan than Ryan based.

Rastak
09-06-2018, 08:54 PM
He’s actually good, but his MVP numbers were more Shanahan than Ryan based.

He ain't bad, very so so tonight....by the way, what a completely shitty call on the PI.....

Rastak
09-06-2018, 09:06 PM
He touched the QB...how dare he!

Fucking NFL.....

Rastak
09-06-2018, 09:07 PM
Damn, Ryan fucked himself up on the pussy slide.

Rastak
09-06-2018, 09:10 PM
Well, close game anyway....

Rastak
09-06-2018, 09:15 PM
There were no receivers in the area, why is that not a safety? I fucking hate NFL officiating.

Rastak
09-06-2018, 09:17 PM
Given I'm having a conversation with myself, adios guys. Sunday should be fun.

Guiness
09-06-2018, 09:29 PM
He touched the QB...how dare he!

Fucking NFL.....

trying to figure out what I think of the 'body weight on the QB' call, or penalty in general. What's the average weight of a DL now, is it nearing 300lbs? On one hand it seems like more two hand touch stuff, but on the other, if you let a 300lb guy crash down on your franchise QB with any regularity, you are not going to have a franchise QB:huh:

hoosier
09-06-2018, 09:32 PM
Ok, NFC matchup Birds vs Dirty Birds. Let’s have everyone get a soft tissue injury except Julio Jones :lol:

Noooo, we need the Falcons to stay just healthy enough to beat NO twice.

pbmax
09-06-2018, 09:34 PM
I don’t get the confusion on that QB sack. If the defender wanted to, they can put a knee in the turf or roll off when falling with QB wrapped up. It’s obvious to me and I think each time it’s been called this year that I have seen it’s been right.

If you have ever tackled anyone and they give themselves up, you know exactly what is happening.

pbmax
09-06-2018, 09:50 PM
It’s become flag fest

pbmax
09-06-2018, 09:59 PM
Football Perspective

The Eagles are averaging 2.3 yards per play. How bad is that?

In 512 team games last season, just once -- the Jets against Denver in week 14 -- did a team average less than that. The Jets averaged 2.1 yards per play and were shut out.

Also the Eagles are winning.

pbmax
09-06-2018, 10:01 PM
I was robbed! I mean the Falcons and Jones were robbed!

pbmax
09-06-2018, 10:14 PM
Eagles got the offense on track mostly with Pass blocking and Falcon DB injuries.

pbmax
09-06-2018, 10:39 PM
Matt Ryan with game on the line threw two ducks he lost control of and skyed off target.

pbmax
09-06-2018, 10:43 PM
May have had that one wrong. Seems like Jones apologized to Ryan for backing up deep and bailing on out route.

pbmax
09-06-2018, 10:45 PM
Ok I am not kidding about my FF team now. Why in the hell do you remove Jones in the red zone? Even with a score there you make your job SO much tougher.

pbmax
09-06-2018, 10:50 PM
Marquand Manuel sighting!

pbmax
09-06-2018, 11:25 PM
Maybe Jones doesn’t help the red zone offense. Oy.

Zool
09-06-2018, 11:26 PM
Matt Ryan has a noodle arm. All game balls are taking a long time to get where they are going.

pbmax
09-07-2018, 09:50 AM
https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/09/07/seattle-seahawks-dismantling-rift-russell-wilson-pete-carroll

I hated the team, their coach and I especially hated the Packers losing to them. But I admire several of their players. And I like Russell Wilson a lot, mainly for one of the best Badger seasons, even if Bielema was there basking in the glory too. This article gives a nice bird's eye view into why the older D players think the team dismantled the old Legion of Boom defense (spoiler: players think its conspiracy, team maybe thinks they are old). But it doesn't really provide much insight into why Carroll was so protective of Wilson, at least in one pretty public case.

The most obvious reason is that the NFL is built for pocket passers. But it once again raises the question of why on earth, with maybe 8-10 actually SB quality starters (with rare exceptions like Dilfer and Foles), you would build a team and an offense around a commodity that is so rare. Its like a car company that has devised its entire production line and marketing push for vibranium cars, when you are unsure how much vibranium is actually in existence.

channtheman
09-07-2018, 10:05 AM
I tuned in last night and watched the final 5 minutes or so. Matt Ryan had 5 throws, FIVE, from the 10 yard line, and not one of them was catchable. At least give your team a chance dude.

pbmax
09-07-2018, 10:50 AM
Ian Rapoport @RapSheet
The #Cowboys placed G Parker Ehinger, who they just traded for, on Injured Reserve and signed G Kadeem Edwards.

I am truly looking forward to the Cowboys season.

hoosier
09-07-2018, 01:23 PM
https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/09/07/seattle-seahawks-dismantling-rift-russell-wilson-pete-carroll

I hated the team, their coach and I especially hated the Packers losing to them. But I admire several of their players. And I like Russell Wilson a lot, mainly for one of the best Badger seasons, even if Bielema was there basking in the glory too. This article gives a nice bird's eye view into why the older D players think the team dismantled the old Legion of Boom defense (spoiler: players think its conspiracy, team maybe thinks they are old). But it doesn't really provide much insight into why Carroll was so protective of Wilson, at least in one pretty public case.

The most obvious reason is that the NFL is built for pocket passers. But it once again raises the question of why on earth, with maybe 8-10 actually SB quality starters (with rare exceptions like Dilfer and Foles), you would build a team and an offense around a commodity that is so rare. Its like a car company that has devised its entire production line and marketing push for vibranium cars, when you are unsure how much vibranium is actually in existence.

Follow the money: QB is and has always been the high profile position, and with QB as face of the team you can bank on more interest from casual weekend fans. A league filled with great defenses and Trent Dilfers, not so much.

EDIT: I suspect the answer to your question is entangled with the answer to the question of why QB was the last position in the NFL to be integrated racially.

gbgary
09-07-2018, 01:39 PM
ugly game last night. the rust factor was large. saw a great idea on twitter last night...that since teams don't play their #1's in the preseason, and the rust factor is so high, they should open the season with their out-of-conference games to get acclimated. these games are the least important and losses would be less detrimental.

Harlan Huckleby
09-07-2018, 02:10 PM
I don't get that PI that gave atlanta an extra play. It was thrown 10 feet above the players.

Or was it holding? I had sound off.

Harlan Huckleby
09-07-2018, 02:15 PM
I tuned in last night and watched the final 5 minutes or so.

You timed it about right.

A four hour game late on a thursday night is too much. I watched some of game with generous fast forward today. The slow pace of football is OK for a weekend afternoon. Otherwise I don't see how they are getting ratings. "Big Brother" or "The Bachelor" is more action packed.

pbmax
09-07-2018, 02:23 PM
Follow the money: QB is and has always been the high profile position, and with QB as face of the team you can bank on more interest from casual weekend fans. A league filled with great defenses and Trent Dilfers, not so much.

EDIT: I suspect the answer to your question is entangled with the answer to the question of why QB was the last position in the NFL to be integrated racially.

History of the position seems likely to play a role. But it used to be that 3 yards, a cloud of dust and great run defense were considered the best path to a championship. Bob Griese won a lot of games only throwing on third down.

The irony is that an offense first developed to take the pressure off a less than ideal physical candidate for QB, Virgil Carter, has now morphed to a much more vertical attack. Still centered in the pocket though.

Wilson is younger and will play longer than those defenders who were let go. so I understand their recent moves. Wilson also had a banner year throwing while the defense swooned last year. But it still seems strange that a much less impressive Wilson was protected so in 2014.

pbmax
09-07-2018, 02:24 PM
I don't get that PI that gave atlanta an extra play. It was thrown 10 feet above the players.

Yeah. Illegal block, before the throw. Wasn't much of one, but it did happen.

hoosier
09-07-2018, 02:59 PM
History of the position seems likely to play a role. But it used to be that 3 yards, a cloud of dust and great run defense were considered the best path to a championship. Bob Griese won a lot of games only throwing on third down.

The irony is that an offense first developed to take the pressure off a less than ideal physical candidate for QB, Virgil Carter, has now morphed to a much more vertical attack. Still centered in the pocket though.

Wilson is younger and will play longer than those defenders who were let go. so I understand their recent moves. Wilson also had a banner year throwing while the defense swooned last year. But it still seems strange that a much less impressive Wilson was protected so in 2014.

I haven't followed the Wilson protection story, so just responding to the evolution of offense theme. One big change between the 3 yds + dust era and now is the role played by TV contracts. Why, starting in 1978, did rule changes begin to favor passing offense and render the conservative offenses obsolete? What is driving the bus here, it seems to me, is marketing awareness: high octane offense appeals to the casual fan who watches games from the sofa. And let's not forget that in the past these changes have been cyclical and pendulum like. The Rams in the 1950s were the Greatest Show on Turf before there was turf. But TV is the 500 lb. gorilla that dictates we're never going back to three yard and dust.

gbgary
09-07-2018, 03:01 PM

it wasn't pi...it was illegal contact.

Harlan Huckleby
09-07-2018, 04:08 PM
it wasn't pi...it was illegal contact.

I wanted Atlanta to win, for no known reason. But I thought giving Matty Lice a 5th shot at the endzone there was cheap, especially since it was a light foul, as pbmax has testified. I am in favor of officials swallowing whistles in those critical situations. The receivers are playing a little dirty down near the endzone with their picks, let the defenders be a bit handsy. (They should be allowed to get to third base.)

Bretsky
09-07-2018, 06:33 PM
Ok I am not kidding about my FF team now. Why in the hell do you remove Jones in the red zone? Even with a score there you make your job SO much tougher.

QUIZ FOR PB

WHAT HAVE THE RESULTS BEEN ON THE LAST 20 PASSES FROM MATT RYAN TO JULIO JONES IN THE END ZONE ?

Guiness
09-07-2018, 08:13 PM
I don’t get the confusion on that QB sack. If the defender wanted to, they can put a knee in the turf or roll off when falling with QB wrapped up. It’s obvious to me and I think each time it’s been called this year that I have seen it’s been right.

If you have ever tackled anyone and they give themselves up, you know exactly what is happening.

So many thoughts here...

If they're going to go with that type of a rule, they need make the old 'grasp and control' call a point of emphasis, but go back to the old rule that didn't include 'safety and jeopardy'.

5. Officials are to blow the play dead as soon as the quarterback is clearly in the grasp and control of any tackler, and his safety is in jeopardy.

If they can't actually be tackled, just put the damn red shirt on them.

In the era of $30million/year QBs, understandable why ownership wants more protection for them.

George Cumby
09-07-2018, 09:12 PM
Marty Ice isn’t.

Cheesehead Craig
09-07-2018, 09:19 PM
QUIZ FOR PB

WHAT HAVE THE RESULTS BEEN ON THE LAST 20 PASSES FROM MATT RYAN TO JULIO JONES IN THE END ZONE ?

1 for 20. No TDs

pbmax
09-08-2018, 09:30 AM
I haven't followed the Wilson protection story, so just responding to the evolution of offense theme. One big change between the 3 yds + dust era and now is the role played by TV contracts. Why, starting in 1978, did rule changes begin to favor passing offense and render the conservative offenses obsolete? What is driving the bus here, it seems to me, is marketing awareness: high octane offense appeals to the casual fan who watches games from the sofa. And let's not forget that in the past these changes have been cyclical and pendulum like. The Rams in the 1950s were the Greatest Show on Turf before there was turf. But TV is the 500 lb. gorilla that dictates we're never going back to three yard and dust.

I think the rules, the intrinsic value of passing and the external value of marketing and TV explain how QBs are treated publicly.

But I don't see such a direct connection to coaches and their offense. So while there are good football reasons for passing, the choice of offense seems to me to be a function of familiarity and expectation. Same reasons everyone ran the ball in the 70s.

But you mentioned the high flying offenses of the 50s and early 60s (AFC) which suggested something to me. I suspect a Lombardi effect was in effect through the 70s and influenced a lot of thinking about football and offense for a long time. And it took two other coaching trees (Gillman and Brown/Walsh) plus rules changes to alter than mindset throughout the League.

Maybe running an offense with a mobile and not overly arm talented QB needs its Lombardi. It wasn't quite Chip Kelly, though he had his moments through his second year. But his influence and the influence of college offenses that better use a wider variety of QBs, is seen everywhere in the NFL now. So even without the schematic Lombardi, the pieces are being put in place. Might be up to the GMs to catch up.

pbmax
09-08-2018, 12:27 PM
QUIZ FOR PB

No idea. Probably bad. But it seems a design problem. That offense looked worse than Green Bay's red zone problem of a few years ago. You have Freeman and Jones and Coleman and can't manufacture space to throw a completed pass except behind the LOS. Poor design.

That Jumbo formation is tailor made to lower your scoring total unless you can pass out of it. And given their TEs, it doesn't look like they want to do that.

QBME
09-08-2018, 02:55 PM
1 for 20. No TDs

Bingo!!

esoxx
09-09-2018, 01:17 PM
Saints getting rolled by woeful Bucs on their home field with backup QB Ryan Fitzpatrick at the helm.

Top 5 1st round pick here we come!

esoxx
09-09-2018, 01:21 PM
Damerious Randall already with a pick for the Browns.

Joemailman
09-09-2018, 01:35 PM
Bengals safety Shawn Williams first player to be ejected for helmet hit. Helmet to helmet with Andrew Luck. Luck had taken off running and was being tackled by another player when Williams dove in head first.

Harlan Huckleby
09-09-2018, 01:38 PM
Damerious Randall already with a pick for the Browns.

yes but the cancer, the cancer

Rastak
09-09-2018, 01:39 PM
Bengals safety Shawn Williams first player to be ejected for helmet hit. Helmet to helmet with Andrew Luck.

Didn’t seem that bad to me.

Rastak
09-09-2018, 01:41 PM
How about the great game Peterman is having for the Bills? Aye yi yi...

Rastak
09-09-2018, 01:50 PM
Good for the Brownies tying up the game.

red
09-09-2018, 01:53 PM
crapopolo=suck

i love how it actually looks like the queens are playing outside. its so nice and bright in there, you'd never know it was in a dome

great design

Rastak
09-09-2018, 01:55 PM
crapopolo=suck

His receiver fell down.He han’t Looked bad but the Vikings D is playing a pretty solid. Except the last play.

Fosco33
09-09-2018, 02:11 PM
3 sacks already for TJ Watt... just saying

Rutnstrut
09-09-2018, 02:11 PM
The Vikes looking pretty good. They will definitely keep GB honest in the division.

Rastak
09-09-2018, 02:30 PM
Browns back to being the Browns.

Rastak
09-09-2018, 02:38 PM
Roughing the pussy, 15 yards.

Rastak
09-09-2018, 02:42 PM
Maybe someone can explain to me how a 300 pound guy can NOT land on the qb when he tackles him?

Harlan Huckleby
09-09-2018, 02:43 PM
The Vikes looking pretty good. They will definitely keep GB honest in the division.

You mean the Packers might be able to keep the Vikes honest.

Well, we'll see. Packers have Rodgers. The Vikings defense looks all world.

Rastak
09-09-2018, 03:11 PM
Vikings pick up the opening win. Browns driving.

Rastak
09-09-2018, 03:23 PM
ALCOA presents fantastic finishes Steelers/Browns. KY will remember those....

red
09-09-2018, 03:39 PM
denzel ward is the real deal

Rastak
09-09-2018, 03:46 PM
HA, Steelers miss a kick from 42 to win it.....

red
09-09-2018, 03:47 PM
HA, Steelers miss a kick from 42 to win it.....

browns haven't looked bad at all

watt is a beast

Rastak
09-09-2018, 03:49 PM
browns haven't looked bad at all

watt is a beast

Hard Knocks was fun. Browns have a great fan base, I hope they do well.

red
09-09-2018, 03:51 PM
randall with a nice play

the over celebrates and injures himself

red
09-09-2018, 03:52 PM
OMG!!!!!!

big ben 4th int on the day

mybe a fumble. huge hit from behind on the ball drops right to the browns

red
09-09-2018, 03:56 PM
BLOCKED kicked

TJ watt with the block of the game winning FG

might not have been watt, like 5 steelers got penetration

game over

first tie of the year

Rastak
09-09-2018, 03:56 PM
Good ole Browns.

Guiness
09-09-2018, 04:11 PM
Good ole Browns.

Well, it's an improvement. They snatched tie from the jaws of victory. I didn't even know that was a thing.

Rastak
09-09-2018, 04:12 PM
Well, it's an improvement. They snatched tie from the jaws of victory. I didn't even know that was a thing.

I'm with ya there Guiness.

pbmax
09-09-2018, 04:18 PM

Good thing they couldn't live with Tyrod anymore. Also, the preseason is meaningless.

pbmax
09-09-2018, 04:20 PM
Only saw end of regulation with Browns offense. How did Randall look other than interception?

Rastak
09-09-2018, 04:25 PM
Only saw end of regulation with Browns offense. How did Randall look other than interception?

Didn't see that game other than the end on Red Zone, not sure. Seems like Safety suits him.

Tony Oday
09-09-2018, 04:30 PM
Vikings looks like crap. They are terrible.

Cheesehead Craig
09-09-2018, 04:58 PM
Cam has such physical tools but still makes dumbass decisions and has no touch passing game.

red
09-09-2018, 05:00 PM

other then possibly blowing out his achilles celebrating a pass breakup in OT?

they commented that it could be a cramp, but he was holding is leg lower. he did walk off though

red
09-09-2018, 05:00 PM
Cam has such physical tools but still makes dumbass decisions and has no touch passing game.

can't fix stupid

yetisnowman
09-09-2018, 05:26 PM
Man KC's offense is scary good, I think Mahomes is the real deal. He's a special player

Fritz
09-09-2018, 05:26 PM
I sure hope Kizer looks good holding that clipboard tonight.

Sounds like Randall had a good game.

Cheesehead Craig
09-09-2018, 05:36 PM
Man KC's offense is scary good, I think Mahomes is the real deal. He's a special player

Color me impressed with Mahomes. Looks like they for a keeper there.

Rastak
09-09-2018, 05:45 PM
Vikings looks like crap. They are terrible.*

That greatly upsets me given the renown of your well respected and unbiased football acumen.

Rastak
09-09-2018, 05:45 PM
Color me impressed with Mahomes. Looks like they for a keeper there.

I agree Craig, he's looked pretty solid.

Rastak
09-09-2018, 05:49 PM
Adrian Peterson looking solid this first week!

KYPack
09-09-2018, 06:00 PM
ALCOA presents fantastic finishes Steelers/Browns. KY will remember those....

Fantastic Finishes were fantastic. I was always surprised that no other advertiser didn't pick up that theme.

Harlan Huckleby
09-09-2018, 06:14 PM
I sure hope Kizer looks good holding that clipboard tonight.

I won't judge him till he has a few weeks of regular season experience. New team, new hardware.

pbmax
09-09-2018, 06:24 PM
I won't judge him till he has a few weeks of regular season experience. New team, new hardware.

Cowboys hurt in the middle and can't run without Frederick versus Carolina. Get a little more on the outside. But their offense has been putrid for most of 3 quarters.

Good.

Joemailman
09-09-2018, 06:44 PM
Has anybody else noticed that Tyreek Hill is pretty fast?

Rutnstrut
09-09-2018, 06:51 PM
Has anybody else noticed that Tyreek Hill is pretty fast?

I thought my TV was acting up. There was one guy in FF and the rest were standing still.

Tony Oday
09-09-2018, 06:55 PM

That greatly upsets me given the renown of your well respected and unbiased football acumen.

They played terrible today. Only misthrows by Goropololololo saved them today. They will be a 10-6 to a 11-5 team but their offensive line is definitely a weak spot.

wthigoot
09-09-2018, 06:58 PM

Looks like I was the only one to pick the Bills in the pickem contest. Forgot they were starting J Peterman at QB.

Joemailman
09-09-2018, 11:34 PM
Packers should not sign Dez. But the Cowboys should. They have nothing outside.

Zool
09-09-2018, 11:44 PM
Fantastic Finishes were fantastic. I was always surprised that no other advertiser didn't pick up that theme.

IBM presents....you make the call

Teamcheez1
09-10-2018, 08:22 AM
Great stat from Bill Barnwell on the Browns - Steelers game:

The Browns are +5 in takeaways today. Since the Browns returned to the NFL, teams with a turnover margin of +5 or better in a game are 132-4-1. The Browns are responsible for two of those losses and the tie.

ThunderDan
09-10-2018, 08:41 AM
Great stat from Bill Barnwell on the Browns - Steelers game:

The Browns are +5 in takeaways today. Since the Browns returned to the NFL, teams with a turnover margin of +5 or better in a game are 132-4-1. The Browns are responsible for two of those losses and the tie.

That is so awesome.

pbmax
09-10-2018, 01:54 PM
ProFootballTalk @ProFootballTalk
At 0-0-1, Browns are off to their best start since 2004

ouch

mraynrand
09-10-2018, 02:09 PM
You guys have to get in on some of the Baker Mayfield betting. Like number of camera shots/game, predicting game and quarter when he first plays, that sort of thing. Tie-rod Trailer just ain't gonna last.

pbmax
09-10-2018, 02:45 PM
Brad Gagnon @Brad_Gagnon
NFL's lowest-rated passers in the last 30 years, among 338 quarterbacks with a minimum of 50 career attempts:

336. Henry Burris (28.4)
337. Brian Brohm (26.0)
338. Nathan Peterman (25.7)

Teamcheez1
09-10-2018, 06:18 PM
Sam Darnold with a Pick 6 in his first career pass in the NFL. SOmething to remember.

red
09-10-2018, 06:21 PM
Sam Darnold with a Pick 6 in his first career pass in the NFL. SOmething to remember.

but so many people say he's so great, despite what your eyes and his stats say

he might have the greatest hype machine of all time working for him

Teamcheez1
09-10-2018, 06:36 PM
but so many people say he's so great, despite what your eyes and his stats say

he might have the greatest hype machine of all time working for him

That's the New York effect. Green Bay is in flyover country.

red
09-10-2018, 06:40 PM
That's the New York effect. Green Bay is in flyover country.

no, when he was still at USC everyone always talked about what an elite talent he was. he'd go out and throw 3 ints, and guys the next day on the radio would say , "yeah but he's so good"

pbmax
09-10-2018, 06:41 PM
Hey Darnold is in good company.

Scott Kacsmar @FO_ScottKacsmar
Favre and Winston threw a pick-six on their first pass.

red
09-10-2018, 06:44 PM
Hey Darnold is in good company.

Scott Kacsmar @FO_ScottKacsmar
Favre and Winston threw a pick-six on their first pass.

so you're saying he's gonna throw a ton of int's in his career?

pbmax
09-10-2018, 06:44 PM
Trolling Cubs fans:

Sahadev Sharma @sahadevsharma
A Brewers player shagging flies in the outfield just took off his warm-up top to reveal an Aaron Rodgers jersey. The fans in the bleachers were not pleased.

red
09-10-2018, 06:46 PM
why is this chick play by play person trying so hard to sound like a man?

pbmax
09-10-2018, 06:46 PM
so you're saying he's gonna throw a ton of int's in his career?

Yep. Plus petty crime or an addiction.

red
09-10-2018, 06:47 PM
Yep. Plus petty crime or an addiction.

don't forget the dick pics

it always comes back to the dick pics

Cheesehead Craig
09-10-2018, 07:21 PM
don't forget the dick pics

it always comes back to the dick pics

You are so obsessed with dick pics.

Teamcheez1
09-10-2018, 07:37 PM
Jets up 17-7. So much for the Lions.

Rutnstrut
09-10-2018, 08:32 PM
why is this chick play by play person trying so hard to sound like a man?

Pretty sure the hormones and her/it's large post op dick make her that way. There is no way this thing doesn't have a dick. I have heard it calling games before. I would rather listen to Aikman and Buck.

Joemailman
09-10-2018, 08:51 PM
Jets have put up 48 on Lions, and it's still the 3rd quarter. Patricia might want his old job back.

KYPack
09-10-2018, 08:57 PM
Cheating Bill's coaching tree has a lot of dead branches.

McDaniel
Weiss
Crennel
Now Patricia

pbmax
09-10-2018, 09:03 PM
Jets up 17-7. So much for the Lions.

I suddenly wish Packers had the Lions #1 pick.

pbmax
09-10-2018, 09:05 PM
Pretty sure the hormones and her/it's large post op dick make her that way. There is no way this thing doesn't have a dick. I have heard it calling games before. I would rather listen to Aikman and Buck.

You are thoroughly disgusting.

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/-1k1oRFE2X0zc-9s-WSb5ChqdRk=/0x0:5568x3712/920x0/filters:focal(0x0:5568x3712):no_upscale()/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/11727629/RS549570_20170817_PE1_4218.JPG

pbmax
09-10-2018, 09:11 PM
Tom Ley @ToLey88
Hey look it’s the Belichick coaching tree

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dmxu6dJV4AAadPa.jpg:large

pbmax
09-10-2018, 09:16 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DmxvBd-VAAAwq58.jpg

falco
09-10-2018, 10:04 PM

Can we get a mod here?

mraynrand
09-10-2018, 10:12 PM
Can we get a mod here?

I think we can ignore this all by ourselves

Rutnstrut
09-10-2018, 10:14 PM

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/-1k1oRFE2X0zc-9s-WSb5ChqdRk=/0x0:5568x3712/920x0/filters:focal(0x0:5568x3712):no_upscale()/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/11727629/RS549570_20170817_PE1_4218.JPG

Yeah because worse hasn't been typed in these virginal, hallowed halls.

Rutnstrut
09-10-2018, 10:15 PM
You guys are right, I crossed the line with the Aikman and Buck part of the comment.

Zool
09-11-2018, 12:26 AM

I hope she keeps her shoes on. Might get out of hand....foot?

Fritz
09-11-2018, 05:16 AM
Cheating Bill's coaching tree has a lot of dead branches.

McDaniel
Weiss
Crennel
Now Patricia

Funny post. And true.

That team wasn't even competetive last night. And stop me if you've heard this one before - Jets defenders said they knew exactly what plays were about to be run by the Lions' offense.

And stop me if you've heard this one before - TJ Lang left the game with an injury.

pbmax
09-11-2018, 08:11 AM
Yeah because worse hasn't been typed in these virginal, hallowed halls.

Those comments were trash then too.

But if its about each other, at least someone is here to defend themselves.

I am mostly offended that more people didn't object to Brian Griese.

pbmax
09-11-2018, 08:19 AM
Funny post. And true.

That team wasn't even competetive last night. And stop me if you've heard this one before - Jets defenders said they knew exactly what plays were about to be run by the Lions' offense.

And stop me if you've heard this one before - TJ Lang left the game with an injury.

I read Lang was banged up in camp too.

At least as I imagine it, the local media and the populace still have a Lombardi hangover and it lends credence to soft and small, lack of energy explanations. I remember a lot of people who were certain Holmgren and something called a West Coast Offense could not survive a Wisconsin winter.

Is there a similar reason the "know what we/they" were calling stories are popular in Detroit? Goes both ways, I recall the Packers offense was being labeled as predictable by Detroit not too long ago.

pbmax
09-11-2018, 08:20 AM
Well Chucky had a quarter worth of great offensive ideas against a top defense. I wonder if he is thinking about analytics and GPS now?

mraynrand
09-11-2018, 08:26 AM
At least as I imagine it, the local media and the populace still have a Lombardi hangover and it lends credence to soft and small, lack of energy explanations.

Packers refuse to even field a strong safety anymore. Soft!

bobblehead
09-11-2018, 08:29 AM
You guys are right, I crossed the line with the Aikman and Buck part of the comment.

That was the part I found offensive.

mraynrand
09-11-2018, 08:49 AM
Well Chucky had a quarter worth of great offensive ideas against a top defense. I wonder if he is thinking about analytics and GPS now?

His start looked a lot like Chicago's - he blew his wad in the first half and then was dominated by a better team.

Rams are a scary team though...

gbgary
09-11-2018, 12:09 PM
Tom Ley @ToLey88
Hey look it’s the Belichick coaching tree

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dmxu6dJV4AAadPa.jpg:large

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/images/smilies/lol.gif

Fritz
09-11-2018, 02:11 PM
I read Lang was banged up in camp too.

At least as I imagine it, the local media and the populace still have a Lombardi hangover and it lends credence to soft and small, lack of energy explanations. I remember a lot of people who were certain Holmgren and something called a West Coast Offense could not survive a Wisconsin winter.

Is there a similar reason the "know what we/they" were calling stories are popular in Detroit? Goes both ways, I recall the Packers offense was being labeled as predictable by Detroit not too long ago.

I don't of anything specific that ties to the "know what the offense was calling" stories that came out of the Jets game - just the quotes from a couple Jets' players. This got jumped on big because, I think, Detroit fans feel they've been (once again) sold a bill of goods.

When Caldwell got fired after 9 - 7, most Detroit fans were glad. But the reasoning Bob Quinn (the Eskimo) gave was that he felt the team had more talent than their record indicated. By implication, this meant he wanted to find a guy who would get the team's record to match what he apparently thought was its high level of talent. So...get that New England-connection guy, have Patricia sprinkle his tough-guy fairy dust on the team (after the perceived "players' coach" Caldwell), and they'd be in the playoffs.

The team struggled in preseason, but most people are willing to blow that off as, well, preseason. A few oldsters liked that Patricia was working the team so hard physically, though others thought he was trying to hard to prove some point about being in charge. Some sage minds in the press, after the third and last preseason games, suggested that something was rotten in Denmark and Detroit, but since you don't know til the lights go on, well, people were willing to play wait-and-see.

But not only did the Lions lose at home on Monday night against a very beatable team that went 5-11 last year, they looked disorganized. Some people on the radio this morning even used the "q" word for their effort level.

They go on the road next week against San Fran, and they'd better be competitive or the Patricia era could unravel before it ever really begins.

Rutnstrut
09-11-2018, 04:00 PM
I can't remember the last time if ever Stafford looked this bad.

Fritz
09-12-2018, 05:35 AM
It's flat-out panic in Detroit. One newspaper headline: "Patricia in over His Head."

ThunderDan
09-12-2018, 07:21 AM
Stafford has thrown 3 picks or more in 10 of 126 appearances. That is almost 10% of the games he has played that he is a turnover machine.

ThunderDan
09-12-2018, 07:24 AM
To be fair to Stafford it is 8%.

Pugger
09-12-2018, 07:57 AM
I can't remember the last time if ever Stafford looked this bad.

This man has never lived up to his potential but he was truly dreadful Monday night. Yikes.

Patler
09-12-2018, 08:14 AM
Stafford has thrown 3 picks or more in 10 of 126 appearances. That is almost 10% of the games he has played that he is a turnover machine.

For comparison sake, Favre did it 38 times in 302 appearances, and Rodgers has done it 4 times in 150 appearances.

pbmax
09-12-2018, 08:42 AM
Its weird the Lion's offense well belly up because they kept the OC. I wonder if they brought in new coaches and there is a clash of approaches?

pbmax
09-12-2018, 08:45 AM
Always remember:

Losing comes from disorganization, lack of energy, ego, stupidity and bad play calling

Winning comes from organization, lots of energy, selflessness, smartness and good play calling

There is no luck involved, no tactical adjustments, no asymmetrical research available and the causation never runs the other way. You can also conclude this for any specific time period, even if its been just one possession by one team.

You can now go to work as a columnist. Or comment in the Game Day thread.

Patler
09-12-2018, 09:10 AM
Its weird the Lion's offense well belly up because they kept the OC. I wonder if they brought in new coaches and there is a clash of approaches?

There was this early this summer:

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2018/06/08/detroit-lions-matt-patricia/684073002/

A recent article reported many players saying that all they hear are complaints, criticism and insults from the new staff; never encouragement, "atta boys" or anything positive. Might be a short lived regime.

Patler
09-12-2018, 09:14 AM
Yet another angle of criticism, and some insight into the offense failure:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2795331-report-lions-players-upset-with-matt-patricia-over-team-rules-amount-of-work

Cheesehead Craig
09-12-2018, 11:19 AM
Always remember:

Losing comes from disorganization, lack of energy, ego, stupidity and bad play calling

Winning comes from organization, lots of energy, selflessness, smartness and good play calling

There is no luck involved, no tactical adjustments, no asymmetrical research available and the causation never runs the other way. You can also conclude this for any specific time period, even if its been just one possession by one team.

You can now go to work as a columnist. Or comment in the Game Day thread.
"We review...
all the fears and anxiety
...which are so
inherently symptomatic...
...of a losing team.
The mind is a strange thing, men.
We must begin by asking it...
..."What is losing?"

Losing is a disease...
...as contagious as syphilis.
... attacking one...
... but infecting all.
Ah, but curable.

Now, I want you to imagine...
...you are on a ship at sea...
...on a vast...
...calm ocean...
...gently rocking.
Gently rocking.
Gently rocking.
Gently rocking."

pbmax
09-12-2018, 11:45 AM
Yet another angle of criticism, and some insight into the offense failure:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2795331-report-lions-players-upset-with-matt-patricia-over-team-rules-amount-of-work

Way too early to judge but sounds like housecleaning might be in their future. But the gassed in Week 1 prediction looks prescient.

Wonder if Patricia has that kind of juice? Fritz said the GM/President hired him to take better advantage of available talent. Might put them in conflict soon if things don’t turn around.

Fritz
09-12-2018, 11:45 AM
This man has never lived up to his potential but he was truly dreadful Monday night. Yikes.

Yet he is the best quarterback that team has had since probably Bobby Layne (he's better than Tobin Rote, for sure) and is certainly the least of that team's problems.

Rutnstrut
09-12-2018, 08:31 PM

He isn't bad. It's not like they have ever put a great team around him.

pbmax
09-12-2018, 10:21 PM
He isn't bad. It's not like they have ever put a great team around him.

He was nearly Pro Bowl with Bill Musgrave as his OC. But 'ol Musgrave wasn't good enough and he got tossed aside 2 years ago.

Now Chucky will send draft picks for Nick Foles.

smuggler
09-12-2018, 10:25 PM
In general I think the game just got away from them and a few wins will quiet all the talk about the locker room and team rules. Remember, the Lions team is not exactly swimming in talent right now. They have a couple good pieces. I expect Patricia to succeed.