PDA

View Full Version : 3-4 Defense

Tarlam!
09-10-2006, 04:38 AM
Hodge and Barnett playing Mike, at the same time.

Any takers?

jack's smirking revenge
09-10-2006, 05:02 AM

Any takers?

There are 3-4 detractors here, but I think the Packers should give it a try. Our strength appears to be in our LB corps right now and I think teams should play to their strengths. A 3-4 alignment would make the defense faster. Couldn't hurt to try, could it?

But....it is probably far too late to be installing a new scheme. If our defense starts to have trouble, then I think they should try different schemes.

tyler

the_idle_threat
09-10-2006, 07:12 AM
The biggest problem with running the 3-4 is that we don't have the right defensive linemen for the scheme. Even if Pickett, Cole or Allen could handle the nose tackle position(which is a big "if"), our DEs are too small. The prototype DE for the 3-4 defense is a 290-to-300 pound run-stuffer who will eat up blocks so that LBs can make the tackles. Pass-rush ability is a bonus, not a necessity. Look at the top 2 players at each defensive end postion on the Steelers, Patriots and Chargers:

Steelers
LDE
Aaron Smith: 6-5 298#
Rodney Bailey: 6-3 305#
RDE
Brett Kiesel: 6-5 285#
Travis Kirschke: 6-3 298#

Patriots
LDE
Ty Warren: 6-5 300#
Marquise Hill: 6-6 300#
RDE
Richard Seymour: 6-6 310#
Jarvis Green: 6-3 285#
Chargers
LDE
Luis Castillo: 6-2 295#
Derreck Robinson: 6-4 289#
RDE
Igor Olshansky: 6-6 309#
Jacques Cesaire: 6-2 295#

Average weight is 297 pounds.

KGB and Jason Hunter could only be linebackers in the scheme, as both are smaller than 260 pounds. Kampman and Montgomery are also undersized for the scheme, weighing in the 270s. Pickett, Cole, and Allen are too big for DE, and would be better fits at nose tackle. The only guys who seem to have the size and athleticism demanded for the DE position in a 3-4 are Cullen Jenkins for sure (290#), and maybe Corey Williams (313#) and Johnny Jolly (317#), although they are both on the heavy side.

Maybe the Packers line up defensive tackles (Jenkins and Corey Williams, perhaps?) at the end positions and give this a try a few times during the season, but our personnel dictate that we won't be making a wholesale switch anytime soon. IMO

Joemailman
09-10-2006, 08:27 AM
I suspect the Packers may switch to it from time to time, just to cross up the opponent. I wouldn't expect it to be a regular part of their defense.

KYPack
09-10-2006, 11:52 AM

Any takers?

Well, there ain't no Mike in a 3-4. There's two ILB's. You'd probably play Hodge at LILB, that's the way most teams run.

We ain't goin to a 3-4 as a base. We don't have the right lineman as has been pointed out. Popp would probably a great Buck LB in a 3-4, but few of our DL's are 3-4 guys.

We'd also kinda need a coaching staff well versed in 3-4. A guy off NE or Pitt would be OK. Our lads are coming from the opposite side of the coaching spectrum - The Bates/Sanders deal.

In short, NFW Tar.

Tarlam!
09-10-2006, 12:11 PM
...In short, NFW Tar...

Don't beat around the bush KY! You need to just lay it out there from time to time! :cool:

KYPack
09-10-2006, 04:40 PM
...In short, NFW Tar...

Don't beat around the bush KY! You need to just lay it out there from time to time! :cool:

Sorry I tried to sweet talk ya, pal.

Next time, I'll be more blunt & shit.