PDA

View Full Version : Packers vs. Redskins Discussion Thread

Joemailman
09-17-2018, 06:00 PM
Packers lead all-time series 18-14-1.

Last meeting: November 20, 2016. Packers won 42-26. Edit. Packers lost 42-24 Rodgers threw for 351 yards and 3 TD's. Cousins was the Redskin QB and had similar numbers.

Redskins are 1-1 having beaten the Arizona Cardinals 24-6, and losing to the Indy Colts 21-9.

Alex Smith is 54-76 for 547 yards and 2 TD's. Adrian Peterson is their leading rusher but is averaging just 3.1 YPC. Offensively, Skins are 14th in passing and 7th in rushing. They run the ball a lot, but not particularly well, averaging 3.9 yards per carry.

Defensively, they have been stingy against the pass, allowing 166 YPG with 2 TD's and 3 INT's. Run defense has been solid.

Lot of empty seats at Washington yesterday so there should be a sea of green and gold on Sunday.

Teamcheez1
09-17-2018, 06:07 PM
The Packers lost to the Redskins 42-24 in 2016. I was at the game.

Joemailman
09-17-2018, 06:09 PM
The Packers lost to the Redskins 42-24 in 2016. I was at the game.

Oops. Thanks for the correction.

Teamcheez1
09-17-2018, 06:17 PM
Oops. Thanks for the correction.

Just bring me a win with no injuries and the rest doesn't matter.
My big questions for this week:

1. Will AR be healthier or look the same?
2. How long will King be injured?
3. Aaron Jones impact upon his return?
4. Will we see the debut of Oren Burks?
5. Can we see more from the pass rush and secondary?
6. Is the AR-Graham connection coming together?
7. Can Matthews get a critical roughing the passer penalty for his 3rd game in a row?

Joemailman
09-17-2018, 06:33 PM

7. Can Matthews get a critical roughing the passer penalty for his 3rd game in a row?

1. The same for a while.
2. Can't rush a groin injury.
3. Really looking forward to seeing Jones. Adds explosiveness to offense.
4.. I think Burks was close last week.
5. Developing pass rush will be a challenge all season. Missed picks on Biegel and Fackrell hurts.
6. Graham looked great yesterday.
7. I'm hoping Pack will have big enough lead it won't be critical.

texaspackerbacker
09-17-2018, 07:02 PM
How much impact Graham has depends on how teams defense him. If they go all in for him like the Bears did, the WRs will have an easier time of it. If not, Graham will be open like against the Vikings.

I (and maybe other people) are wondering why House got put in when King went down instead of Jackson. Hopefully King is back, but if not, hopefully with a week of practice, they trust Jackson.

Jones may or may not help. He would be a good change of pace from Williams, but knowing McCarthy, he will be all gradual about using him. Besides, Rodgers passing is always the key for the Packers.

Same thing about Burks - I doubt he sees much action even if he is healthy. Whether he's good enough to be a difference maker remains to be seen. From what I saw, Morrison stunk and Toomer wasn't much better. I'd still like to see Clay at ILB.

They said it would be a couple of months until Rodgers is all the way back to normal. He already played with more mobility than most expected, though, and I think he will show slow improvement each game.

Washington hasn't been very good. This has been a funny year so far, though. Some supposed to be good teams struggling and some supposed baddies playing way better than expected. Hopefully Washington doesn't pick this week to shape up.

ThunderDan
09-18-2018, 08:11 AM

1. The same until after the bye.
2. He'll be able to run in a week but not change direction for 4.
3. Not much, the running game has been fine when used. ARod likes to pass in run/pass options so I am not sure the number of runs increases.
4. I think it is a good chance.
5. Pass rush would be huge, not sure it is happening with what we have.
6. Graham can really open the offense if used correctly. Hopefully, more crossing routes to any/all receivers.
7. Absolutely, he's going for the turkey now.

mraynrand
09-18-2018, 09:47 AM
7. I'm hoping Pack will have big enough lead it won't be critical.

this

Teamcheez1
09-18-2018, 10:24 AM
Who gets cut or IR'd with Aaron jones being activated this week?

KYPack
09-18-2018, 11:45 AM

Darius Jackson to PS would be one obvious move.

Fritz
09-18-2018, 01:46 PM
Darius Jackson to PS would be one obvious move.

I'm waiting for them to just go ahead and put Josh Jones on IR.

The guy supposedly has tons of talent but can't figure the game out.

gbgary
09-18-2018, 03:38 PM
i think it'll be another nail biter if the Packers run their regular o and if House is covering anyone but their slowest wr.

deake
09-18-2018, 03:57 PM

How about dropping House?

Joemailman
09-18-2018, 04:04 PM

That's been my prediction, although the injury to King, if serious, could force them to keep House. Maybe Toomer if Burks and Josh Jones are ready to play.

Tony Oday
09-18-2018, 04:15 PM
Drop Clay Matthews.

Joemailman
09-18-2018, 04:19 PM
Drop Clay Matthews.

Sure. Perry and Gilbert can play every snap the rest of the year.

Rutnstrut
09-18-2018, 08:05 PM
Sure. Perry and Gilbert can play every snap the rest of the year.

They actually should have gotten rid of him 2 years ago. But you make a great point. Now that they have done nothing at the position, they are forced to keep him.

Tony Oday
09-18-2018, 10:15 PM
Move him to ILB or trade him when he has a smidge of value, maybe get a 4th.

texaspackerbacker
09-18-2018, 10:19 PM
Matthews was not that bad. He just wasn't as good as the money he is paid. He'd be a helluva lot more valuable to the team (IMO) if they used him as a ILB.

Hopefully King can play. If not, hopefully they have the good sense to use Josh Jackson instead of House. If they do persist in playing House, there damn well better be a strong pass rush and a lot of Safety help for House.

Tony Oday
09-18-2018, 10:37 PM
Use House with a saftey that know that he has over the top coverage.

Anti-Polar Bear
09-18-2018, 11:56 PM

That bomb was more Brice than House. I think House made a nice 3rd down stop. Played a solid game. You want House around for depth. You don’t want Ladarius Fucking Gunter starting when injuries hit everyone and their baby’s mamas.

Anti-Polar Bear
09-18-2018, 11:57 PM
And, oh, f you to heck, Mailman. Quit using the R-word, yo!

mraynrand
09-19-2018, 12:08 AM
That bomb was more Brice than House. I think House made a nice 3rd down stop. Played a solid game. You want House around for depth. You don’t want Ladarius Fucking Gunter starting when injuries hit everyone and their baby’s mamas.

I think Gunter played well against the Redskins a couple years ago. But if the Redskins want to win this week, they'll need House to play like Gunter usually played (in his non-pro-bowl years. Redskins might be able to exploit Brice too, but I doubt it.

Anti-Polar Bear
09-19-2018, 12:31 AM
I think Gunter played well against the Redskins a couple years ago. But if the Redskins want to win this week, they'll need House to play like Gunter usually played (in his non-pro-bowl years. Redskins might be able to exploit Brice too, but I doubt it.

Didn’t Captain Kirk annihilate the entire secondary that day? Gunter was a guy who consistently made the same mistakes over and over again. House is sometimes an abomination, but not always. House > Gunter

And, please, quit using the word “Redskins.” It is a racist word. I prefer Redcoats, in honor of the brave Brits soldiers who, with their guns, unjustly stole “America” from the Braves.

Anti-Polar Bear
09-19-2018, 03:18 AM
Read Jim Owczarski’s (new guy at the MJS) recent “Quick Takes on The Packers’ Next Opponent.” Dude refrained from using the R-word, though the ingorant editor did use the word under a picture of the Switch Hitter, the former Queen great.

I’m starting to like this guy. Next great Tyler Dunne, I’m telling ya all.

Tony Oday
09-19-2018, 07:27 AM
I think we get a dirty win against the Redskins. AP could have a bit of a day and Thompson could go off but in the End AR beats the Redskins with crisp effective passing.

Rutnstrut
09-19-2018, 02:01 PM
The REDSKINS could be a tough game. The REDSKINS have a decent defense, especially their secondary. The REDSKINS are the type of team I could see the Packers taking lightly. But the Pack should beat the REDSKINS easily. I too could see AP having a decent day for the REDSKINS.

texaspackerbacker
09-19-2018, 02:04 PM
hahahahahaha Nice use of the R Word.

pbmax
09-19-2018, 03:41 PM
Michael Cohen via Tweet

McCarthy says Jamaal Williams and Ty Montgomery will be in the "first slots" this week. Aaron Jones is behind them entering Sunday. #Packers

:roll:

denverYooper
09-19-2018, 03:43 PM
Michael Cohen via Tweet

McCarthy says Jamaal Williams and Ty Montgomery will be in the "first slots" this week. Aaron Jones is behind them entering Sunday. #Packers

Pure M3. This will last until Jones busts off a 47 yard TD run.

Joemailman
09-19-2018, 03:57 PM
Pure M3. This will last until Jones busts off a 47 yard TD run.

That's the great thing about Jones. He doesn't need a ton of touches to make an impact. Always a threat to break one.

Teamcheez1
09-19-2018, 04:03 PM
Jones activated. Deante Burton sent packing.

Keeping 4 RB's on the team now.

KYPack
09-19-2018, 04:15 PM
Jones activated. Deante Burton sent packing.

Keeping 4 RB's on the team now.

Cut a corner, keep a RB.

With King out with a groin?

We'll see.

Joemailman
09-19-2018, 08:13 PM
Cut a corner, keep a RB.

With King out with a groin?

We'll see.

That would mean only 4 active CB's. Suppose Pettine probably has some packages where safeties handle nickle/dime positions.

Joemailman
09-20-2018, 12:08 AM
Kevin Burkhardt and Charles Davis again.

Time for northwest Wisconsin Packer fans to get Sunday ticket or head for a sports bar.

http://506sports.com/2018/03-FOX-E.png

Pugger
09-20-2018, 08:36 AM

Time for northwest Wisconsin Packer fans to get Sunday ticket or head for a sports bar.

Excellent! We don't have to use the Sling Box again this week! :bump:

Smidgeon
09-20-2018, 10:09 AM

Don't mind Kevin. Can't stand Charles.

Fritz
09-20-2018, 11:23 AM
Yay! Southeast Michigan gets this game. Is it a noon-central-time start?

Anti-Polar Bear
09-20-2018, 12:05 PM
Yay! Southeast Michigan gets this game. Is it a noon-central-time start?

Google says yep.

Anti-Polar Bear
09-20-2018, 12:11 PM
The REDSKINS could be a tough game. The REDSKINS have a decent defense, especially their secondary. The REDSKINS are the type of team I could see the Packers taking lightly. But the Pack should beat the REDSKINS easily. I too could see AP having a decent day for the REDSKINS.

I'm guessing you're the offspring of Tony O'Day.

I'm all for free speech and all, but c'mon, the R-Word is just as offensive/racist as the N-Word.

Tony Oday
09-20-2018, 02:08 PM
Michael Cohen via Tweet

Fat boy hates a good run game, makes his gravy brain work too hard. He needs to be fired regardless of the outcome of the season.

MadScientist
09-20-2018, 02:18 PM
Fat boy hates a good run game, makes his gravy brain work too hard. He needs to be fired regardless of the outcome of the season.

He said that it is important to run on the road. So it could mean:
1) Jones is more effective in spots instead of being a go-to back.
2) Timing may be a little off due to the suspension.
3) MM is lying through his teeth, because there's no point in giving useful information to your opponent.

Tony Oday
09-20-2018, 02:58 PM
Or coaching is hard, fuck it I'll give it to AR 40 times and we win.

run pMc
09-20-2018, 03:27 PM
I'm thinking you ease Jones back in, give the guys who didn't get busted for pot first crack at the R's. Besides, I like the idea of Williams grinding that D for a while and working the Ty and Jones in as change of pace backs. Williams has been very good in pass pro also. He's not a dynamic guy, but he's solid. Jones had trouble staying healthy last year anyway. Throwing him in the deep end with 25+ touches would probably get him hurt.

run pMc
09-20-2018, 03:29 PM
Or coaching is hard, fuck it I'll give it to AR 40 times and we win.

Probably true. What's better: their DL or their secondary? What's better: GB's receivers or RB's?

esoxx
09-20-2018, 03:53 PM
McCarthy is fat.

mraynrand
09-20-2018, 05:17 PM
McCarthy is fat.

Shoulda traded Janis for a treadmill.

Tony Oday
09-20-2018, 05:37 PM
Shoulda traded Janis for a treadmill.

We did, he ate the treadmill...

Rutnstrut
09-21-2018, 11:57 PM
This thread is getting a bit stale, so I will freshen it up. Redskins, Redskins, Redskins, Redskins, Redskins, Redskins, Redskins, Redskins!!!

Joemailman
09-22-2018, 09:50 AM
Probably won't be seeing so much dime defense this week. Packers are down to 4 healthy CB's, and Redskins top 3 receivers are 2 RB's and a TE.

pbmax
09-22-2018, 11:35 AM
Here's a candidate for HC after they terminate Mike McCarthy at the end of the year.

Quote is from this article:https://www.tbo.com/sports/bucs/new-coordinator-monken-wants-bucs-offense-to-be-fun-explosive-20160128/

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dns0qlPU8AAZG7t.jpg:large

http://grantland.com/features/packaged-plays-rethinking-concept-modern-play-calling/

Chris B. Brown @smartfootball
Monken is an absolute character. Love that dude. Took over an 0-12 Southern Miss program and got em back to 8-9 wins, coordinated some wild offenses at Oklahoma State

Chris B. Brown@smartfootball
Also Bucs OC Todd Monken was using RPOs back in 2011 before people even called them RPOs. I quoted back when he was OkSt’s OC in 2012.

Anti-Polar Bear
09-22-2018, 12:06 PM
I'm thinking you ease Jones back in, give the guys who didn't get busted for pot first crack at the R's. Besides, I like the idea of Williams grinding that D for a while and working the Ty and Jones in as change of pace backs. Williams has been very good in pass pro also. He's not a dynamic guy, but he's solid. Jones had trouble staying healthy last year anyway. Throwing him in the deep end with 25+ touches would probably get him hurt.

Excellent post.

pbmax
09-22-2018, 12:45 PM

I don't want McCarthy to Dorsey Levens him, but he is 2 yard per carry better than Williams. He should be the featured back as soon as feasible.

Bossman641
09-22-2018, 07:57 PM
Hopefully Jones forces McCarthy hand
He's the most talented by far

wist43
09-22-2018, 09:37 PM
Redskins 33
Packers 27

Fritz
09-23-2018, 09:22 AM
Wist, ever the optimist.

Green Bay 27
Washhington 24

Cheesehead Craig
09-23-2018, 09:42 AM
Pack going to get the win today

Packers 30
Redskins 17

mmmdk
09-23-2018, 10:10 AM
Alex Smith will look good today, hope Aaron Rodgers will be better on one leg.

pbmax
09-23-2018, 10:28 AM
wrong thread

pbmax
09-23-2018, 10:30 AM
wrong thread

mraynrand
09-23-2018, 11:01 AM
wrong thread

mmmdk
09-23-2018, 01:17 PM
Alex Smith will look good today, THIS

but not THIS
hope Aaron Rodgers will be better on one leg.

Without Superman Aaron Rodgers, this Packers team is the 2017 Browns.

Oh and fire Stubby!

Rutnstrut
09-23-2018, 08:30 PM

I told you the REDSKINS shouldn't be taken lightly.

wist43
09-23-2018, 08:45 PM
I told you the REDSKINS shouldn't be taken lightly.

My prediction was

Redskins 33
Packers 27

Thought we would move the ball better and keep it within a score... on to next year :)