PDA

View Full Version : More Banjo: Week 3 at Washington

pbmax
09-23-2018, 03:19 PM
I've got nothing. Rodgers start inaccurate. Drops. Penalties. They have 3 RBs and therefore actually have none.

And I have a beef with the coaching staff who are apparently one of only two teams who do not understand the new QB hit rules.

pbmax
09-23-2018, 03:19 PM
Really interested if anyone can dig up video this week of the hits on Rodgers that were questionable. Want to see them. I missed one just after halftime.

pbmax
09-23-2018, 03:20 PM
Bulaga hurt his back. Really curious if they stick with Spriggs. He was his normal almost competent but could get beat self today. Plus two penalties.

Wilkerson hurt his ankle.

oldbutnotdeadyet
09-23-2018, 03:23 PM
Depressing! I'm 62, soon to be 63, I don't have time to live thru another decade or two of incompetence.

Freak Out
09-23-2018, 03:31 PM
I'm in Spain and Israel this week so was living through Twitter today...lots of good videos of the non calls on Arod.

Joemailman
09-23-2018, 03:34 PM
I'm starting to think if you're 330 lbs and moving slow you can land on the QB. But if you're a LB moving at full speed when you hit him, you better not land on him.

Rastak
09-23-2018, 03:43 PM
I'm starting to think if you're 330 lbs and moving slow you can land on the QB. But if you're a LB moving at full speed when you hit him, you better not land on him.

No, Sheldon Richardson sacked a guy and got both flagged and fined and he did nothing but tackle the guy. Straight up.

Cheesehead Craig
09-23-2018, 03:53 PM
Really interested if anyone can dig up video this week of the hits on Rodgers that were questionable. Want to see them. I missed one just after halftime.

This.
https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/1043942616172179456

pbmax
09-23-2018, 03:54 PM

I think you are sorta onto something, but I think it involves the quarterback being prone. Rodgers is curling up like a ball to protect that leg and so falling on him doesn't seem the same. Matthews' three hits all laid the QB out, though not in devastating fashion.

pbmax
09-23-2018, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the tip Freak Out

https://media.giphy.com/media/KWB6BFLhJjMRoQqntl/giphy.gif

Joemailman
09-23-2018, 04:10 PM

Did Rodgers pay the price for speaking out last week?

Rutnstrut
09-23-2018, 05:26 PM
Did Rodgers pay the price for speaking out last week?

I thought about that and I believe so. Cam Newton has long been paying the price for speaking out against officiating and the NFL.

pbmax
09-23-2018, 07:35 PM
Tom Silverstein @TomSilverstein
Referee Craig Wrolstad on Matthews penalty in pool report: "So, that's not a new rule. I had judged that the defender landed on the quarterback when he was tackling him, with most or all of his body weight, and that's not allowed. If you do that, it's roughing the passer."

Asked how Matthews could avoid a penalty, Wrolstad said, "I think there's some examples on the media tapes. But if you've got a shoulder into him and then landed on him with most of his body weight off him or released him when he went down, then he would have been OK. I ruled...

"... that he landed on him with most or all of his body weight there."

On Daron Payne's sack on Rodgers, Wrolstad said,"I don't know exactly what play you're talking about, but from my memory that was the only play I had where I had roughing the passer today. I don't know which play you're talking about, I'm sorry. There were a lot of QB hits today.

pbmax
09-23-2018, 07:37 PM
I'll co-sign this.

Scott Kacsmar @FO_ScottKacsmar
I'm all for an alien invasion on the condition that they're only allowed to send super-intelligent aliens to repopulate the NFL coaching ranks.

pbmax
09-23-2018, 07:46 PM
Why was Matthews probably OK and the Rodgers sack, not kosher?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dn0DPSyXUAAyODc.jpg

pbmax
09-23-2018, 07:49 PM
I had no idea the Amish were favoring braids/dreds these days. Good for Brother Aaron Jones and friends.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dn0dz7LXgAA7G-O.jpg

pbmax
09-23-2018, 07:51 PM
From Twitter:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dn0dFlLXcAE6Vag.jpg

pbmax
09-23-2018, 07:56 PM
Lots of chatter that Earl Thomas did not practice this week and Petey wouldn't comment on it. Speculation was that he was about to be traded.

Packer fans leading the charge (those that aren't trying to sell the farm to get Le'Veon Bell) but the report after the game was Thomas telling reporters that Cowboys coaches were telling him they's see him next week.

Serious question: Can Eric Reid play deep safety?

pbmax
09-23-2018, 07:58 PM
In the end, it turned out Aaron Nagler wasn't very bright.

Aaron Nagler @AaronNagler
I am so sick of Mike McCarthy's teams starting games as if they're playing a preseason contest and have plenty of time to recover.

pbmax
09-23-2018, 08:09 PM
OOF BABOOF!

Michael Cohen @Michael_Cohen13
From halftime of last week's game against the Vikings to halftime of today's game against Washington — a span of four quarters plus overtime — the #Packers defense allowed 507 passing yards and 5 passing TDs.

Joemailman
09-23-2018, 08:14 PM
OOF BABOOF!

Michael Cohen @Michael_Cohen13
From halftime of last week's game against the Vikings to halftime of today's game against Washington — a span of four quarters plus overtime — the #Packers defense allowed 507 passing yards and 5 passing TDs.

Well, that's better than...

579!!

Rutnstrut
09-23-2018, 08:28 PM

I am so sick of Mike McCarthy's teams starting games as if they're playing a preseason contest and have plenty of time to recover.

How is he wrong with this statement? It's dead nuts accurate.

bobblehead
09-23-2018, 08:54 PM

I saw 2 that they definitely would have flagged clay for. That doesn't mean I think they were penalties, just that clay would have been flagged.

bobblehead
09-23-2018, 08:57 PM

Not a flag...got it. That is roughing by any seasons definition....lets see, he picked him up...what they say clay did (he didn't). He drove him into the ground. He landed on him.

mraynrand
09-23-2018, 09:00 PM
Too many mistakes. I'm guessing the Pack didn't really have Brice penciled in at S. Also, Kumerow would have caught that fourth down catch - and not fumble.

I bet Viking fans are losing their shit and giving up on the year too.

mraynrand
09-23-2018, 09:03 PM
Some Seattle defender pushed Dak after he threw the ball and he fell down - they called UR. Troy Aikman said "he couldn't talk about it - this is ridiculous!"

football is heading straight into the dumper.

red
09-23-2018, 09:12 PM
Not a flag...got it. That is roughing by any seasons definition....lets see, he picked him up...what they say clay did (he didn't). He drove him into the ground. He landed on him.

its pretty much everything they've said clays done in the last 2 weeks

picks him up? check

drives him into the ground? check

lands on him with most or all of his weight? check

Anti-Polar Bear
09-23-2018, 09:41 PM
I'm in Spain and Israel this week so was living through Twitter today...lots of good videos of the non calls on Arod.

In times like these, I’m finding solace in you bringing peace to the Middle East.

Joemailman
09-23-2018, 10:26 PM

It's not just Nagler:

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/09/23/good-bad-and-ugly-from-packers-loss-to-redskins/

Outdated offense: Not only did the Packers look sluggish on offense, but their play calling also looked outdated and totally uninspired. Instead of a rewritten offense that many of the Packers coaches had teased all offseason, things looked pretty similar to the last few years. Many offenses around the league are beginning to update and adapt to a more modern style of play, and for one reason or another, the Packers seem stuck. The team still seems to rely on long developing plays that hinge on receivers either getting free of isolation coverage or Rodgers making miracles happen, and it’s honestly baffling as to why the offense continues to run like this. Just two weeks ago, the Packers came out in the second half against Chicago with a high tempo offense filled with shorter route concepts that worked wonders and helped win them a game, and yet instead of trying to expand on that, Green Bay continues to operate their early offense as if they can just waste a couple of drives.

Rutnstrut
09-23-2018, 10:44 PM
It's not just Nagler:

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/09/23/good-bad-and-ugly-from-packers-loss-to-redskins/

It's as if stubby sits down before the season starts and scripts how HE wants each game to go. No matter what happens in each game or days before it that may require deviating from that script he s like a spoiled child and refuses to change.

channtheman
09-23-2018, 10:49 PM
If a few guys catch a few passes and Rodgers is more accurate, I'm sure we're singing a different tune. That said, the offense was putrid all day long save for 1 play and 1 drive. That's not good enough to win most games these days.

Harlan Huckleby
09-23-2018, 10:53 PM
Can the pack beat the lions?

pbmax
09-23-2018, 10:55 PM
How is he wrong with this statement? It's dead nuts accurate.

Losing always means people complain about energy and readiness.

If you get a lead, you started hot and on fire and were ready. Maybe TOO ready if the other team evens it up.

Its the same with momentum. People mistake results with some impossible to predict emotion.

Packers had their ass handed to them in the first half. But even in closer games, people always fault the emotion and the degree they are ready for the game.

Rutnstrut
09-23-2018, 10:56 PM
Can the pack beat the lions?

Not if both teams played the type of games they played today.

pbmax
09-23-2018, 10:56 PM
If a few guys catch a few passes and Rodgers is more accurate, I'm sure we're singing a different tune. That said, the offense was putrid all day long save for 1 play and 1 drive. That's not good enough to win most games these days.

Its more positive, absolutely. But the same flaws were obvious. I don't expect Cobb to be dropping that many passes again, but even with 2 more catches, its not a guaranteed win.

pbmax
09-23-2018, 10:58 PM
It's not just Nagler:

I completely agree that he has not updated his offense in a functioning way. Toss to the HB and a WR screen aren't what ailed the Packers offense against man coverage.

Its astonishing to me, that even Stubby, can look at the 2nd half Bears film and say, no reason to go back to that.

But even if he did, its not enough. He doesn't want to rework the offense in that direction and he won't commit. Hiring Philbin is almost proof of that.

Rutnstrut
09-23-2018, 10:59 PM
Losing always means people complain about energy and readiness.

If you get a lead, you started hot and on fire and were ready. Maybe TOO ready if the other team evens it up.

Its the same with momentum. People mistake results with some impossible to predict emotion.

Packers had their ass handed to them in the first half. But even in closer games, people always fault the emotion and the degree they are ready for the game.

I have watched a lot of football this season. There are other teams that are supposed to be contenders and have looked like it since game one. The Packers have looked flat and predictable since game one. What would you put that on if not poor coaching?

mraynrand
09-23-2018, 11:08 PM
I have watched a lot of football this season. There are other teams that are supposed to be contenders and have looked like it since game one. The Packers have looked flat and predictable since game one. What would you put that on if not poor coaching?

Lesser personnel than the contenders, at least.

Also, It may seems mysterious why both the Vikings and Packers were flat this week. Maybe not.

pbmax
09-23-2018, 11:10 PM

Poor coaching, sure that is a part of it. But its not about being ready or having energy or emotion. Its having a game plan that can win. I am not sure he has one anymore.

He retreats to a functional game plan when the opponent worries him (Patriots, old Vikings Williams defense, one legged QB), but his SOP is to run the same stuff. But its no longer working. A large dent was put into it in 2014 and he still hasn't recovered.

But its not the emotional readiness or having the team energized or ready to play. Its being outcoached. And this year there are enough holes (safety, RT, RG) that its making it hard for Rodgers and Adams to work around it.

Part of it is Rodgers. I doubt McCarthy is calling all long developing routes. But his QB keeps the ball looking for a big play. This is all what is true about the old saw: after about 10 years, coaches start to lose the locker room. And the fault is on both sides.

pbmax
09-23-2018, 11:11 PM
Lesser personnel than the contenders, at least.

Also, It may seems mysterious why both the Vikings and Packers were flat this week. Maybe not.

I think that rivalry game did sink both teams this week. Too much coincidence.

mraynrand
09-23-2018, 11:15 PM
"At 1-1-1, Browns are off to their best start since 2011, when the immortal one, Pat Shurmur, led them to a 2-1 start."

Oops, I didn't even bother to look forward from 2004....

Joemailman
09-23-2018, 11:42 PM
Sounds like someone will have to replace Wilkerson. Lancaster or Looney from the PS, or does Gutey go shopping?

pbmax
09-24-2018, 08:12 AM
Sounds like someone will have to replace Wilkerson. Lancaster or Looney from the PS, or does Gutey go shopping?

Where have you gone
Howard Green-io
Pack Nation turns its lonely eyes to you
woo woo woo

Pugger
09-24-2018, 08:49 AM
No, Sheldon Richardson sacked a guy and got both flagged and fined and he did nothing but tackle the guy. Straight up.

What is a joke about all this is I don't think Clay got a fine for last week's hit on Cousins.

Pugger
09-24-2018, 08:53 AM
This.
https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/1043942616172179456

How in the hell is this particular sack not picking up the QB and slamming him into the turf???

channtheman
09-24-2018, 09:47 AM
Its more positive, absolutely. But the same flaws were obvious. I don't expect Cobb to be dropping that many passes again, but even with 2 more catches, its not a guaranteed win.

I think there were 4 drops that directly ended drives. And 1 Rodgers pass behind Adams that killed one too. You're right those plays don't mean a win, but they would have kept the D off the field and prevented so many points by Washington.

pbmax
09-24-2018, 10:55 AM
Rob Demovsky @RobDemovsky
Packers DT Muhammad Wilkerson stayed behind in the DC area last night following his horrific looking ankle injury but will return to Green Bay today. Wilkerson was carted off and taken to an area hospital after teammate Kentrell Brice rolled into his...

https://t.co/ITADlCcZlf

mraynrand
09-24-2018, 11:01 AM
I think there were 4 drops that directly ended drives. And 1 Rodgers pass behind Adams that killed one too. You're right those plays don't mean a win, but they would have kept the D off the field and prevented so many points by Washington.

Yeah, it wasn't just the drops or fumble, it was the circumstances of them that was killer.

pbmax
09-24-2018, 01:52 PM
Packer Report @PackerReport
Wilkerson stayed in Washington - procedure he needed before he could travel. "Significant" injury. MM has no more details.

McCarthy on the hit on Rodgers: "clearly, I think we all can safely say that play could have warranted a penalty."

McCarthy: I'm all for Kentrell. In other words, no lineup changes coming at safety.

MM on Bulaga: Hurt on TD pass before halftime. Thought Spriggs held his own. Doesn't have update on Bulaga's status.

Jones hit "target" for playing time after missing first two games (and much of training camp). Likes three-man rotation.

"Absolutely" MM says of Hunter Bradley still being the snapper.

Injury to Bulaga (and McCray) factored into decision to not take a timeout at end of half.

McCarthy loves character of team "but we've got to get working."

pbmax
09-24-2018, 02:13 PM
Zach Kruse @zachkruse2
Mike McCarthy said rookie WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling would have received the special teams game ball had the #Packers won Sunday. He forced two fair catches, downed a punt at the 2-yard line, made one tackle on kick coverage and another on punt coverage.

Zach Kruse @zachkruse2
Biggest difference in the second half for the Packers defense: They stopped the run, and Pettine dialed up some really effective blitzes on third downs.

Zach Kruse @zachkruse2
Rookie long snapper Hunter Bradley had four snaps that sent JK Scott scrambling Sunday. Brett Goode went entire seasons without four bad snaps.

red
09-24-2018, 05:46 PM
Zach Kruse @zachkruse2
Mike McCarthy said rookie WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling would have received the special teams game ball had the #Packers won Sunday. He forced two fair catches, downed a punt at the 2-yard line, made one tackle on kick coverage and another on punt coverage.

Zach Kruse @zachkruse2
Biggest difference in the second half for the Packers defense: They stopped the run, and Pettine dialed up some really effective blitzes on third downs.

Zach Kruse @zachkruse2
Rookie long snapper Hunter Bradley had four snaps that sent JK Scott scrambling Sunday. Brett Goode went entire seasons without four bad snaps.

the best news is that the rookie is even costing more then goode did

goode was cost 370,000. new guy starts at 480 and it goes up every year

so its not like we even got worse to save a couple bucks

nvm. spotrac is all fucked up. goode made about 900,000 last year

so we are saving money

yetisnowman
09-24-2018, 06:01 PM
Injury to Bulaga (and McCray) factored into decision to not take a timeout at end of half.

What does this mean? They didn't take a knee after Wash scored, they ran 3 plays and called 2 timeouts. The team couldn't handle an extra couple plays or 40 seconds I guess.

Bretsky
09-24-2018, 06:45 PM
"At 1-1-1, Browns are off to their best start since 2011, when the immortal one, Pat Shurmur, led them to a 2-1 start."

Oops, I didn't even bother to look forward from 2004....

AFTER THREE GAMES

THE CLEVELAND BROWNS HAVE THE SAME RECORD AS...………………….DRUMROLL...…………….OUR GREEN BAY PACKERS

Joemailman
09-24-2018, 06:59 PM
AFTER THREE GAMES

THE CLEVELAND BROWNS HAVE THE SAME RECORD AS...………………….DRUMROLL...…………….OUR GREEN BAY PACKERS

Same as the Vikings (Kudos To Rick Spielman) and half a game better than The Cheaters.

mraynrand
09-24-2018, 07:08 PM
AFTER THREE GAMES

https://pics.me.me/i-dont-know-what-were-yelling-about-14030722.png

LOUD NOISES!

pbmax
09-24-2018, 08:41 PM
What does this mean? They didn't take a knee after Wash scored, they ran 3 plays and called 2 timeouts. The team couldn't handle an extra couple plays or 40 seconds I guess.

I have no idea what he is talking about here. It would make sense if he had Rodgers hand off three times.

Joemailman
09-25-2018, 08:12 PM
Who is that photobombing along with Rodgers?

https://static.clubs.nfl.com/image/private/t_photogallery/f_auto/packers/eqnhb6idaksjefaeu607.jpg

red
09-25-2018, 09:39 PM
boyle?

http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/headshots/nfl/players/full/3045169.png&w=350&h=254

pbmax
09-26-2018, 07:47 AM
Looks like Cobb is in on it too.

bobblehead
09-29-2018, 12:06 PM
its pretty much everything they've said clays done in the last 2 weeks

picks him up? check

drives him into the ground? check

lands on him with most or all of his weight? check

Flag...no check

bobblehead
09-29-2018, 12:09 PM
I completely agree that he has not updated his offense in a functioning way. Toss to the HB and a WR screen aren't what ailed the Packers offense against man coverage.

Its astonishing to me, that even Stubby, can look at the 2nd half Bears film and say, no reason to go back to that.

But even if he did, its not enough. He doesn't want to rework the offense in that direction and he won't commit. Hiring Philbin is almost proof of that.

When montgomery leaves us in FA and some coach has him catching 65 balls out of the backfield in mismatches against LBs I will be cursing stubby all over again.

pbmax
09-29-2018, 06:44 PM
When montgomery leaves us in FA and some coach has him catching 65 balls out of the backfield in mismatches against LBs I will be cursing stubby all over again.

I could live with Jones on 1st and 2nd down and Monty as the third down guy. Williams in short yardage and breaks for Jones.

mraynrand
09-29-2018, 07:44 PM

why wait?

Joemailman
09-29-2018, 08:59 PM

Easy to blame MM, but would Aaron Rodgers give any RB a chance to catch that many passes?

pbmax
09-30-2018, 08:26 AM
Easy to blame MM, but would Aaron Rodgers give any RB a chance to catch that many passes?

Not as currently constructed. In the Packer offense, that back is the sixth protector in pass blocking. If no blitz, they release to a route. They are too often the fifth option. If they go empty less often to put the RB in an actual route immediately.

Fritz
09-30-2018, 10:36 AM
Ummm, do the Packers play today at noon? If so, where's the game day thread?

pbmax
09-30-2018, 10:48 AM
Ummm, do the Packers play today at noon? If so, where's the game day thread?

Your turn Fritz!