PDA

View Full Version : Studs And Duds - Packers vs. Redskins

Joemailman
09-23-2018, 03:51 PM
Studs

Aaron Rodgers - Not his best day, but was victimized by drops and poor OL play.

Aaron Jones - 6 carries for 42 yards. Needs to get the ball more.

Duds

Offensive Line - Too much pressure. Too many penalties.

Kentrell Brice - Turned what should have been an interception into a Washington TD. Then had a missed tackle that probably led to an end to Wilkerson's season.

Lance Kendricks - Packers were on the verge of getting back in the game if he catches the ball.

Randall Cobb - Drops.

Punt return team - Stop with the penalties please.

Gotarace
09-23-2018, 03:54 PM
Throw Stubby right in the mix...that team was unprepared and failed to adjust. Tough loss today.

Cheesehead Craig
09-23-2018, 03:55 PM
Dud - The roughing the passer bullshit. It didn't lose the game, I'm just tired of the league gaslighting us about it.

Teamcheez1
09-23-2018, 04:16 PM
The defense doesn't look a whole lot better than last year. Pettine had no answers.
Gave AP 120 yards rushing.
The secondary looks lost against another competent QB.
Our safeties specifically do not provide much.

I didn't think the offense played well either.
Don;t understand MM's game plan and playcalling.
Rodgers was not that great. The OL was porous. WR's/TE's didn't respond well to the weather.

What a crappy game! I really don't know where this team is headed now.

To be specific on O: DUds: Bulaga, Spriggs, Cobb, Kendricks played poorly. I guess I would put Rodgers on the Studs since he was the only reason we had a chance today.
On defense: Duds: Brice, Dix, LB's/DL in general. No studs.

Rutnstrut
09-23-2018, 05:19 PM
Duds- Rodgers, sure he is gutting it out but was inaccurate much of the game. Stubby- Yet again fails to adjust, unprepared. I think he goes into games hoping his game plan will fool the other team and/or they will be mesmerized by AR. The NFL for their lack of clarity. So just how is Clay to avoid a penalty in that situation? If they are going to call it. They HAVE to have a solution. Stubby again. Once that horseshit call on Clay was called. Nothing short of causing a big enough scene to get ejected is sufficient there. Stubby for avoiding the run but calling those stupid ass worthless behind the LOS passes.

Studs- Rodgers for gutting it out hurt. Clay for picking up his game even if the league is against him.

Fritz
09-23-2018, 06:37 PM
Wow. Could be Stubby's last year coaching this team. They look entirely uninspired - much like his hiring of Pettine.

I would wonder aloud if maybe Tex was right about Capers, but in fact this defense looks an awful, awful lot like last year's - they both suck.

I think MM has outlived his time in GB. Patler has talked about coaches having only about ten years before it all gets stale, with Belicheat being the exception.

Teamcheez1
09-23-2018, 06:44 PM
I think a big part of the issues Pettine has are the cupboard is bare. I like Gute's draft, but TT missed on so many defensive players the last 3 years, that we can't fill all the holes. I think the defensive scheme is better, but there are not enough talented players to fill all the holes.

I'm on the fence on MM. The head coach is ultimately responsible for the team performance, but I think we knew there would be some growing pains 3 games into the season, and the AR injury has not helped. The slow starts are very troubling especially on offense.

Bretsky
09-23-2018, 06:46 PM
Wow. Could be Stubby's last year coaching this team. They look entirely uninspired - much like his hiring of Pettine.

I would wonder aloud if maybe Tex was right about Capers, but in fact this defense looks an awful, awful lot like last year's - they both suck.

I think MM has outlived his time in GB. Patler has talked about coaches having only about ten years before it all gets stale, with Belicheat being the exception.

JUST TEX ???

Capers was Average. He was never the problem; everybody just bought into Wisty who spent year after year hammering Dom Capers when in reality the majority of the faults were with ThanksTed

Ted's subpar drafts on defense and lack of other actions in building up the defense has left them devoid of playmakers on that side of the ball.

HOW MANY SACKS DID BOTH TEAMS HAVE ?

Green Bay, who in general had a healthy offensive line today...well until Bulaga got hurt, and was replaced by ThanksTed's shitty second round pick from a couple years ago, gave up 4.

Washington, whose offensive line has been absolutely decimated with injuries, statistically gave up ZERO sacks.....however...we all KNOW they gave up ONE sack.

HMMMMMMMMM......I don't think backup OL are superstars; what does that tell you about us ?

Bretsky
09-23-2018, 06:49 PM
I think a big part of the issues Pettine has are the cupboard is bare. I like Gute's draft, but TT missed on so many defensive players the last 3 years, that we can't fill all the holes. I think the defensive scheme is better, but there are not enough talented players to fill all the holes.

I'm on the fence on MM. The head coach is ultimately responsible for the team performance, but I think we knew there would be some growing pains 3 games into the season, and the AR injury has not helped....AGREE ON THIS POINT AS WELL....

:bclap::bclap::bclap::bclap::bclap:

red
09-23-2018, 06:55 PM
the problem is not only drafting sub par defensive player, but then compounding the problem by not only keeping those picks, but in some cases, paying those picks big coin (looking at you guys mathews, perry and daniels)

pbmax
09-23-2018, 07:30 PM
Well the solution to drafting late and drafting poor is upon them with a Top 15 pick again at this rate. Washington stocked their D line with 3 high draft picks. Packers can pick up another one and a safety in 2019.

wist43
09-23-2018, 07:43 PM
I thought our overall talent level was slightly below average, but I'm beginning to think it might be worse than that.

We have too many guys making too much $$ but not playing to it, and too many guys that don't belong in the league at all. Add to that stubby's stale offense and you have a sub-500 team.

Guiness
09-23-2018, 08:15 PM
Dud - The roughing the passer bullshit. It didn't lose the game, I'm just tired of the league gaslighting us about it.

Gaslighting - perfect term - there is no way CMIII is not questioning himself now. First thing he did after the sack was look to the ref to see if there was a flag. He's got to be questioning his every more at this point.

bobblehead
09-23-2018, 08:52 PM
Gaslighting - perfect term - there is no way CMIII is not questioning himself now. First thing he did after the sack was look to the ref to see if there was a flag. He's got to be questioning his every more at this point.

He's a marked man no doubt. I think it goes all the way back to the boneheaded flag for dragging Kapercrap out of bounds a few years back.

Bottom line the new rule is, if it looks viscous its a penalty and no other parameter need be met.

Rutnstrut
09-23-2018, 08:57 PM
He's a marked man no doubt. I think it goes all the way back to the boneheaded flag for dragging Kapercrap out of bounds a few years back.

Bottom line the new rule is, if it looks viscous its a penalty and no other parameter need be met.

But that's not the bottom line. The last two weeks the hits Clay has been flagged on have not looked even a little vicious. They have looked like football, which evidently the NFL is not in the business of anymore.

yetisnowman
09-23-2018, 09:06 PM

Unfortunately the Refs can't even keep it that simple. Aaron got half-suplexed on his head, at much nastier looking hit. No flag. I have seen a lot of football this year, it's been all over the place. There have been multiple plays identical or worse than the 2 Clay hits not flagged at all. It's one thing to pussify the sport, but make it fair.

Bretsky
09-23-2018, 09:36 PM
I thought our overall talent level was slightly below average, but I'm beginning to think it might be worse than that.

We have too many guys making too much $$ but not playing to it, and too many guys that don't belong in the league at all. Add to that stubby's stale offense and you have a sub-500 team.

Last year you blamed Dom
This year you blame daStub

But who is this ?

Anti-Polar Bear
09-23-2018, 09:37 PM
MVS was a stallion on special teams. Downed a punt at the 1. The d subsequently fucked up and allowed 99 yd td drive. Looked like the dearly missed Janis.

channtheman
09-23-2018, 09:49 PM
Duds - NFL. I'm sick of two of the cleanest hits of all time being called penalties. And then I flip over to the Lions game (I watched the Packers on NFL Gamepass and just finished watching that poor excuse of a game) and see a guy get called for a "blindside block" on an INT return by Detroit. Really? Can't hit a guy if he's not looking?

I knew that blindside block was a rule already, but they really are making football boring. By the time Rodgers retires, the NFL will be so dull I might only check in from time to time, which is something I never would have thought I'd say in my lifetime.

Rutnstrut
09-23-2018, 10:53 PM
If they keep pussifying the game. There may be a lot of players "retiring" and it will have little to do with age/injury or inability to play anymore. Hell at the rate they are going with making sure QB's don't get hit. Many old, retired QB's could make a comeback.

yetisnowman
09-24-2018, 06:25 AM
Studs-Rodgers and Jones....that's about it. A-Rod is still basically playing on one leg, and if his receivers catch the ball and keep drives alive he probably ends up with something like at least 350 yards, 3TDs. Jones is probably our most explosive offensive player. Of course he only gets 6 touches.
Duds-Too many to count. Sloppy penalties, drops, terrible angles and tackling especially in the first half. And of course the NFL and the refs inconsistently applying rules that dont make sense. I'll simplify it in this way...
MM, Ted, Gute - constructed a team that doesn't fit the coaching scheme. Slow, inconsistent skill players that require good pass pro and a mobile Rodgers to generate big plays other than busted coverages. And on defense, it's just hard to overcome 4-5 years of poor/Yet to be determined drafts in a row. And MM's game/clock management is, year after year, one of the worst in the NFL. Letting the clock bleed at the end of the first half when Washington was on the goal line was just inexcuseable. Everyone knew they were going to score, and even if they didn't the only thing letting the clock run accomplished was diminishing our chances to score afterwards. We ran out of time with a time out left and tried a 61 yd FG in the rain. Just embarrassingly stupid. GB is consistently terrible at TO management and it costs us points.

Smidgeon
09-24-2018, 08:19 AM
Top priorities are new safeties, new pass rushers, and a new offensive system. Jury is still out on the defense... but only for a few more games. The safeties and lack of pass rush isn't helping Pettine at all.

Pugger
09-24-2018, 08:40 AM

I'm on the fence on MM. The head coach is ultimately responsible for the team performance, but I think we knew there would be some growing pains 3 games into the season, and the AR injury has not helped. The slow starts are very troubling especially on offense.

I think you have hit the nail on the head with your first point.

I'm not sure what to think about MM. How can you tell if the playcalling sucks when they don't execute? The drops were big drive killers. We should have used Aaron Jones more but we don't know how many times AR is changing the plays before the snap.

Pugger
09-24-2018, 08:46 AM
If they keep pussifying the game. There may be a lot of players "retiring" and it will have little to do with age/injury or inability to play anymore. Hell at the rate they are going with making sure QB's don't get hit. Many old, retired QB's could make a comeback.

Why don't they just put a red jersey on the QBs and be done with it? :???:

pbmax
09-24-2018, 10:50 AM
The real problem with the rules as they are written and enforced is that Matthews hit, which in no way is going to cause Alex Smith harm, is penalized but Da'Ron Payne's hit, where he twirls the QB and tosses him, twisting, into the ground, is exactly how someone will get harmed.

pbmax
09-24-2018, 10:52 AM
Duds: Training staff for packing the wrong gloves

Bossman641
09-24-2018, 11:17 AM
Studs - Kenny Clark and Jones.
Duds - Brice and HHCD. Cobb and Kendricks. OL. The refs.

Give Jones the damn ball. Just throw checkdowns all the way down the field. Sacks and negative plays are killing the offense.

wist43
09-24-2018, 01:59 PM
Last year you blamed Dom
This year you blame daStub

But who is this ?

Well, we're not winning, so something(s) is wrong. Just have to identify the problem.

I'm willing to look past the Redskin game and look at the big picture... Pettine needs to figure out how to hide our weaknesses, which are many.

We're completely dead at LB... every LB on the roster is a below avg player.

Carolina_Packer
09-24-2018, 02:29 PM
Well, we're not winning, so something(s) is wrong. Just have to identify the problem.

I'm willing to look past the Redskin game and look at the big picture... Pettine needs to figure out how to hide our weaknesses, which are many.

I would like to see one guy who can consistently win one on one. That Alex Smith bomb reminded me of the Packers game from a couple of years ago when Washington whipped the Packers and kept bombing it. If I know I can get your team blocked and there is no pressure and that the safety help is not helping, why wouldn't you keep pressing the issue. I'm surprised they didn't do more.

The Redskins only scored 3 in the second half, but I think they were trying to run out the clock with an 18 point lead; counting possessions. I don't really care about sacks, and at this point, they just seem like penalties waiting to happen. I want the front seven to be able to make the QB move off his spot. That didn't happen often enough.

I get that other teams had to suck and have high draft picks to solve their woes, but some teams seem to be able to fix their problems faster than the Packers are able to. Why is that?

3irty1
09-24-2018, 02:41 PM
it took so many factors working in concert to decisively lose this game, but I think a poverty of talent is the primary factor. Specifically, the Packers seem to have a lot of "B" type guys who just can't make the jump to stardom. These guys are solid starters, do their jobs for the most part, and make routine plays look routine. The thing about these types of players, especially young ones, is that the contracts they sign tend to reflect an expectation of growth. They're paid like A players or nearly so Yet stars usually catch the balls that our players often drop, make the tough solo tackles that our players often whiff, make more guys miss per year, tip a few extra passes, force a fumble or two over the course of a season etc just due to the superiority of their individual contribution. The calculus of football seems that the quality of a team is rarely a sum of its parts. A team of B players don't make a B team. More like a C team.

red
09-24-2018, 03:16 PM
it took so many factors working in concert to decisively lose this game, but I think a poverty of talent is the primary factor. Specifically, the Packers seem to have a lot of "B" type guys who just can't make the jump to stardom. These guys are solid starters, do their jobs for the most part, and make routine plays look routine. The thing about these types of players, especially young ones, is that the contracts they sign tend to reflect an expectation of growth. They're paid like A players or nearly so Yet stars usually catch the balls that our players often drop, make the tough solo tackles that our players often whiff, make more guys miss per year, tip a few extra passes, force a fumble or two over the course of a season etc just due to the superiority of their individual contribution. The calculus of football seems that the quality of a team is rarely a sum of its parts. A team of B players don't make a B team. More like a C team.

we don't have any impact players on D

and we only have 1 on offense

Joemailman
09-24-2018, 04:38 PM
https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/09/24/studs-and-duds-from-packers-deflating-loss-to-redskins/

Brice dipped into M.D. Jennings territory Sunday.

Ouch. That is not territory you want to be in.

pbmax
09-24-2018, 05:32 PM
https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/09/24/studs-and-duds-from-packers-deflating-loss-to-redskins/

It wasn’t a stellar effort. I wish I could tell what they want to happen here.

pbmax
09-24-2018, 05:36 PM
Packer Report
I'm almost through one quarter of Sunday's game and Oren Burks is a bright spot. Not sure what the rest of the game will show.

red
09-24-2018, 05:39 PM
Packer Report
I'm almost through one quarter of Sunday's game and Oren Burks is a bright spot. Not sure what the rest of the game will show.

how much did he play? i saw morrison on the field quite a bit, but i really wasn't paying attention to it

Bretsky
09-24-2018, 06:43 PM

I was trying to lead you to the answer by bolding that area and ask who should he responsible. Here's a hint...ThanksTed

Joemailman
09-24-2018, 06:53 PM
how much did he play? i saw morrison on the field quite a bit, but i really wasn't paying attention to it

Burks was on the field for only 8 snaps. Morrison 23. Not that surprising with Redskins running the ball almost twice as many times as they threw it.

KYPack
09-25-2018, 12:06 AM
Hunter Bradley had 4 funky ass snaps and that was his positive. He stunk all game. I don't think you should draft a Punter, but Scott is a big thing. On a couple Bradley stinko snaps, Scott saved us with brilliant fielding catches and did his job like nothing was happening. Brett Goode is still out there in FA land. Cut Bradley and sign 'ol Goode. He'll get back ion the swing of things and we won't have to sweat LSing.

pbmax
09-25-2018, 07:12 AM
Hunter Bradley had 4 funky ass snaps and that was his positive. He stunk all game. I don't think you should draft a Punter, but Scott is a big thing. On a couple Bradley stinko snaps, Scott saved us with brilliant fielding catches and did his job like nothing was happening. Brett Goode is still out there in FA land. Cut Bradley and sign 'ol Goode. He'll get back ion the swing of things and we won't have to sweat LSing.

That was asked in the presser and McCarthy said a change wasn't being considered.

Gotarace
09-25-2018, 11:10 AM
That was asked in the presser and McCarthy said a change wasn't being considered.
In Packer Code means Brett Goode should be in Green and Gold by Weeks End.

Anti-Polar Bear
09-25-2018, 11:13 AM

Called it first in the Duke of Earl thread. There are only 2 things in the rye that Brice excels at, well, actually 3.

1. Hard hits

2. Getting injured

3. Getting teammates injured

Hard hits have been outlawed, rendering Brice impotent. Since mccarthy is mentality challenged and refuses to make change, Pack would actually be better off this season with Brice on IR.

Sign Eric Reid or trade for E-Tom!