PDA

View Full Version : Roughing the Passer Rule

Carolina_Packer
09-24-2018, 03:08 PM
The reaction to the rule has claimed its first injury https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/msn/the-nfls-stupid-new-roughing-the-passer-rule-cost-william-hayes-his-season/ar-AAAAnKu.

What is a defensive player supposed to do? This guy was trying to avoid putting his weight on the QB when he tackled him and landed awkwardly. If he had been able to just make normal contact and knock the QB down without hitting him in the head or knees, but the strike zone is getting really tight.

It's getting to the ridiculous point where defenders have to really think as they are moving quickly toward the QB about what will happen. One idea I had, as silly as it sounds, would be for the defender to simply bear hug the QB so he's in the grasp, but that's hard to do if they are out of the pocket running towards the sideline. In the case of Clay's last two terrible calls, he was coming straight on and could have bear hugged both QB's who are not all that big and just waited for the whistle.

Now, what do you do if you're trying to sack Big Ben or Cam Newton? Good luck bear hugging them! Once again, the NFL goes overboard trying to correct a problem. We all know what roughing looks like. They should have just left it alone.

Bossman641
09-24-2018, 03:49 PM
I'm skeptical the bear hug would work. If you're running at a guy full speed your momentum is going to knock him back. So what's next.. defenders slow down as they approach QBs in an attempt to hold them up. Their whole lives defenders have been taught to run through tackles.

red
09-24-2018, 04:04 PM
i think they need to even it out

if defenders can't tackle QB's anymore. then maybe QB's shouldn't be able to go past the LOS

a-rod had two plays yesterday where he took off and dove for extra yardage. which is kinda shitty when a defender can't touch you

we've also all seen the plays in the past where the qb is running towards the sideline, the defender pulls up to not destroy him, and then the QB cuts up field for a few more yards

there is a lot of outrage over this rule though, not just from packer fans. it needs to go, and now

the other option is. if you're gonna get a flag anyways for tackling the QB, you may as well make the penalty worth it and try and knock the guy out of the game like the good ole days

the penalty would be the same

Joemailman
09-24-2018, 04:08 PM
I knew this would happen to somebody: William Hayes of the Miami Dolphins tore his ACL yesterday while trying to avoid landing on the QB.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24782945/william-hayes-miami-dolphins-tears-acl-trying-avoid-sack-flag

"He was trying to not put body weight on the quarterback," Gase said. "His foot got caught in the ground."When asked whether he believes the rule change led to Hayes' torn ACL, Gase said, "I'm just telling you what happened. ... I'm just telling you what he did."

Hayes appeared to shorten his last step -- with his right leg -- and attempted to roll over Carr instead of landing on him. He immediately grabbed his right knee, rolling and crawling on the ground while his teammates tried to help him.

This needs to end.

red
09-24-2018, 04:13 PM
I knew this would happen to somebody: William Hayes of the Miami Dolphins tore his ACL yesterday while trying to avoid landing on the QB.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24782945/william-hayes-miami-dolphins-tears-acl-trying-avoid-sack-flag

This needs to end.

thats what the original post is about

Joemailman
09-24-2018, 04:17 PM
thats what the original post is about

Got it. Didn't click on the link.

Remember the hated in the grasp rule? I wonder if headed back in that direction again.

Carolina_Packer
09-24-2018, 05:18 PM
I agree with anyone who says this has to end as soon as possible. If they won't change the rule, perhaps they can change how the rule is interpreted. Find me one person who has a way for a defender running full speed at a QB who has the ball in hand (not out of his hand mind you) and can make the tackle and ensure that he doesn't put most of his body weight on the QB as he runs through him. Instead of showing the players examples of what they don't want to see, please show us all examples of what is OK. I don't know if you could get two refs to agree on interpretation.

NewsBruin
09-24-2018, 05:31 PM
I think the "no body weight on the QB" interpretation is dumb, but I think Hayes' injury was garden-variety fluky, non-contact ACL tear type.

EDIT: The linked clip showed nothing awkward that Hayes did intentionally (like when you try not to trip on a cat and you break your favorite pint glass in the process). The page said it came from his foot planting, but that could have happened to him getting double-teamed in a gap or pursuing a back for a TFL.

pbmax
09-24-2018, 05:34 PM
I think the "no body weight on the QB" interpretation is dumb, but I think Hayes' injury was garden-variety fluky, non-contact ACL tear types.

What NB said. We have now strayed into overreaction territory.

QBME
09-24-2018, 05:36 PM
Remember the hated in the grasp rule? I wonder if headed back in that direction again.

Bingo

mraynrand
09-24-2018, 06:11 PM

They at least shoulda waited to get a quote from the play himself before drawing conclusions. But the Coach and another player were saying it's so - that's still newsworthy. But no, it's not something to run around with hair on fir about.

I do like the idea of just going all-out, as suggested above. If you're gonna get the penalty, you may as well get your money's worth.

mraynrand
09-24-2018, 06:13 PM
Bingo

I don't think in-the-grasp covers this. These are pretty normal pursuit tackles. The issue is whether you can actually prevent putting weight on the QB. on some tackles, you just won't be able to avoid it unless you don't wrap up. Carolina Pack is right - the larger QBs need to be put down violently.

Bretsky
09-24-2018, 06:35 PM
This rule needs to be exposed on a nationally televised game like Monday Night football to seriously get the pack mentality sceaming.

Like the Fail Mary

Too Bad Christmas for the Vikings wasn't a Monday night game

Joemailman
09-24-2018, 06:55 PM

Actually, I believe it is the NFL that has done that.

mraynrand
09-24-2018, 11:20 PM
https://twitter.com/i/status/1044405978077310977

wist43
09-25-2018, 06:13 AM
Just make it flag football and be done with it... they're ruining the game.

pbmax
09-25-2018, 07:15 AM
https://twitter.com/i/status/1044405978077310977

Those McDonalds employees were mightily confused.

Cheesehead Craig
09-25-2018, 08:27 AM
Those McDonalds employees were mightily confused.

Could have swore one of them was Brice.

Carolina_Packer
09-25-2018, 10:54 AM
Could have swore one of them was Brice.

Which one?

KYPack
09-25-2018, 03:44 PM
The funny lookin' one.

That had some humor to it.

pbmax
09-25-2018, 05:35 PM
Reporters are all over this but have no specifics. Like the helmet rule, no changes are expected in the language of the rule.

BUT, they expect different enforcement after a conference call this week. Most commonly cited reason was Matthews hit on Cousins.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/09/25/mike-pereira-predicts-league-will-adjust-how-officials-interpret-roughing-rule/

Perreria and PFT are not the only ones reporting it, but no one else is giving up names. One anonymously sourced report read like it was a member of the committee saying they are going to talk about it.

CaptainKickass
09-27-2018, 02:20 PM
The dumb just keeps on pouring in from "the league"

OFFICIAL VIDEO FROM NFL:
https://tinyurl.com/y6vqjg54

OFFICIAL STATEMENT (which I find to be nothing but jibberish)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DoHZpqqX0AEbTSo.jpg

pbmax
09-27-2018, 03:13 PM
Clarified techniques is doing a lot of work here. Would have to watch video to see if something changed.

Rastak
09-27-2018, 07:09 PM
Clarified techniques is doing a lot of work here. Would have to watch video to see if something changed.

They are morons, they’re gonna kill the golden goose and the chief moron in charge holds great deal of the responsibility.

run pMc
10-01-2018, 11:49 AM
Don't like the rule, think it should be repealed. Seems like most fans (and players) agree.

texaspackerbacker
10-01-2018, 12:20 PM
They were saying late in the day, no roughing the passer penalties at all, league-wide. That can't be coincidence. Somebody must have put out the word, don't call it unless it is pretty damn obvious.

MadScientist
10-01-2018, 01:40 PM
They were saying late in the day, no roughing the passer penalties at all, league-wide. That can't be coincidence. Somebody must have put out the word, don't call it unless it is pretty damn obvious.

Yep. For all the posturing about how refs made the right calls. The NFL must have sent film and just these calls are bullshit. Call the obvious and let them play football.

denverYooper
10-01-2018, 03:33 PM
Yep. For all the posturing about how refs made the right calls. The NFL must have sent film and just these calls are bullshit. Call the obvious and let them play football.

Can they silently credit the Packers with another W for the CM3 call too?

mraynrand
10-01-2018, 04:14 PM

Half a win for the Viking game. But now they owe Cleveland for calling in the grasp while the forced fumble was rolling into a defenders’ hand. Let them play!

pbmax
10-01-2018, 09:35 PM

Still waiting for Fail Mary recompense.

pbmax
10-02-2018, 08:07 AM
NOTHING HAS CHANGED!! ALL IS WELL! WE JUST TALKED ABOUT SOME TECHNIQUES THAT ARE CONFUSING!

Michael David Smith @MichaelDavSmith
After last week's NFL competition committee discussion, officials more than halved their roughing the passer calls this week. There were 33 roughing the passer calls in Weeks 1-3, and only five roughing the passer calls in Week 4.

Fritz
10-02-2018, 08:55 AM
NOTHING HAS CHANGED!! ALL IS WELL! WE JUST TALKED ABOUT SOME TECHNIQUES THAT ARE CONFUSING!

Michael David Smith @MichaelDavSmith
After last week's NFL competition committee discussion, officials more than halved their roughing the passer calls this week. There were 33 roughing the passer calls in Weeks 1-3, and only five roughing the passer calls in Week 4.

The NFL did such an excellent job explaining the new techniques that coaches and defenses very quickly picked up on them, taught and learned them, and as a result, this past week, everyone understood and obeyed the new rules!

Carolina_Packer
10-02-2018, 02:15 PM
The NFL did such an excellent job explaining the new techniques that coaches and defenses very quickly picked up on them, taught and learned them, and as a result, this past week, everyone understood and obeyed the new rules!

With the exception of a few rogue cheaters.