PDA

View Full Version : Breeland a Packer

Tony Oday
09-25-2018, 05:18 PM
http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-41034485-4

House on IR

pbmax
09-25-2018, 05:38 PM
If House had a shoulder injury, why the **** isn't Jackson playing more?

I might have to sign up for Bob's newsletter.

Tony Oday
09-25-2018, 05:42 PM
I follow Cohen on Twitter and Robbie. I also love The Athletic.

Tony Oday
09-25-2018, 05:43 PM
Quentin Dial was in too.

jklowan
09-25-2018, 06:09 PM
now sign reid

Teamcheez1
09-25-2018, 06:49 PM
After living with TT for years, Gute continues to surprise me. I genuinely believe he is not afraid to make moves to strengthen this roster using veterans instead of plugging in practice squad player after practice squad player.
The Breeland move has its risks, but we needed help at the position, and Gute is willing to take chances.
We appreciate your service Mr. House, but your time with the Packers has ended.

texaspackerbacker
09-25-2018, 09:32 PM
What risk? Signing Breeland seems like a good move. If he flops, cut him - no harm. Just getting House off the active roster is a plus.

Quentin Dial is a free agent. He did a decent job as a Packer before. Signing him also would be a good relatively risk-free move.

mraynrand
09-25-2018, 10:34 PM
I didn't realize he was the crazy foot skin-graft guy.

The story:

Bashaud Breeland needs skin graft to repair cut on foot
Posted by Josh Alper on March 16, 2018, 4:34 PM EDT

Getty Images
Cornerback Bashaud Breeland‘s deal with the Panthers fell through on Friday when Breeland failed a physical with the team for a non-football injury.

The injury took place earlier this month while Breeland was in the Dominican Republic. Breeland told David Newton of ESPN.com that he cut the back left foot on his trip and will need to have skin grafted to repair it, which was also the case when he suffered the same injury in the fourth grade. Breeland did not initially believe the injury to be serious as he can still walk on it because the previous one has never impacted him before.

Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that Breeland is believed to be months away from being able to pass a physical.

The deal he agreed to with the Panthers was for three years and $24 million. He’ll likely be signing a very different deal once he reaches that point.

Weird that he had this before in fourth grade.

He worked out with the Patriots in August.

Fritz
09-26-2018, 05:27 AM
now sign reid

Agreed. It's ridiculous that the NFL is blackballing guys because of their political stances. This guy would lend the back end some much-needed help. Maybe he could tutor Jones as well.

pbmax
09-26-2018, 07:51 AM
At this point I would welcome Jones screwing up a coverage just to see him moving fast and hitting something. That won't last forever but it would be preferable to the current situation.

Anti-Polar Bear
09-26-2018, 09:06 AM
If House had a shoulder injury, why the **** isn't Jackson playing more?

This is packerrats. We don't censor the greatest word in linguistics, the word "fuck." Quit self-censoring that great word.

Anti-Polar Bear
09-26-2018, 09:10 AM
I follow Cohen on Twitter and Robbie. I also love The Athletic.

Go read The Atlantic.

Tony Oday
09-26-2018, 11:06 AM
Go read The Atlantic.

I read that too

gbgary
09-26-2018, 02:55 PM
hole plugged, better than house, hope no else gets hurt.

mraynrand
09-26-2018, 03:01 PM
hole plugged, better than house, hope no else gets hurt.

source?

Freak Out
09-26-2018, 03:29 PM
I read somewhere Carolina had signed he for something like 8 million a year?

denverYooper
09-26-2018, 03:35 PM
I read somewhere Carolina had signed he for something like 8 million a year?

Yeah, he was one of the more sought-after CBs on the FA market. The Packers picked him up for 790 K + 90K bonus for a 1 year rental.

APRH, this is a good signing for GB.

gbgary
09-26-2018, 05:42 PM
source?

lol

Tony Oday
09-26-2018, 06:25 PM
Yeah, he was one of the more sought-after CBs on the FA market. The Packers picked him up for 790 K + 90K bonus for a 1 year rental.

APRH, this is a good signing for GB.
Too bad we couldn't get a two year deal.

pbmax
09-26-2018, 06:32 PM
They should outfit him with some good shoes and get him some moleskin.

Tony Oday
09-27-2018, 06:57 AM
"Breeland should have little trouble adapting to defensive coordinator Mike Pettine’s scheme and will likely be active for Sunday’s game against the Buffalo Bills. With most of the disguising reserved for safeties, linebackers and slot corners, Pettine’s defense is fairly straightforward for perimeter corners whose jobs are more rigidly defined. It’s a role Breeland could fill nicely in place of House and, potentially, Kevin King, who missed practice again Wednesday with a groin problem." Michael Cohen the Athletic.

Also said he compares nicely to Al Harris.

texaspackerbacker
09-27-2018, 12:17 PM
This seems like an excellent signing. I'm a little bit leery, though, about the fact his contract with Carolina was rescinded and 31 other teams avoided him for what he describes as a golf cart running him over and reinjuring a childhood injury. That sounds kinda phony - both from the aspect of the injury being real and from the aspect that the guy might be lying. I hope not, and we get a quality Corner for a cheap price.

pbmax
09-27-2018, 12:33 PM
People saying he is going to start seem a little ahead of the game to me. Has he practiced this year at all after the injury?

Anti-Polar Bear
09-27-2018, 12:58 PM
I read that too

Then why are you such an uptight, shortsighted, narrow-minded hypocrite?

Anti-Polar Bear
09-27-2018, 01:12 PM
This seems like an excellent signing. I'm a little bit leery, though, about the fact his contract with Carolina was rescinded and 31 other teams avoided him for what he describes as a golf cart running him over and reinjuring a childhood injury. That sounds kinda phony - both from the aspect of the injury being real and from the aspect that the guy might be lying. I hope not, and we get a quality Corner for a cheap price.

Bryant Westbrook all over again. Recall that in 2002, Sherman ingeniously signed Westbrook off the streets of Baltimore after injuries hit moody Mike McKenzie and the future rapist Darren Sharper. In his first game in the Green and Gold, Westbrook helped the Packers beat the mighty Patriots of the former British colonies, even picking off the GOAT TB12 once. Westbrook was rock-solid the rest of the season as the Pack made the playoffs.

In fact, the Packers never missed the playoffs while Sherman was GM. Why the fuck isn't Sherman in the Packers' HOF? Dude holds a 44-20 record in the Green and Gold as GM/Coach, and he never missed the playoffs as GM/Coach.

Tony Oday
09-27-2018, 02:19 PM
Then why are you such an uptight, shortsighted, narrow-minded hypocrite?

That's you mental midget.

pbmax
09-27-2018, 03:12 PM
Bryant Westbrook all over again. Recall that in 2002, Sherman ingeniously signed Westbrook off the streets of Baltimore after injuries hit moody Mike McKenzie and the future rapist Darren Sharper. In his first game in the Green and Gold, Westbrook helped the Packers beat the mighty Patriots of the former British colonies, even picking off the GOAT TB12 once. Westbrook was rock-solid the rest of the season as the Pack made the playoffs.

In fact, the Packers never missed the playoffs while Sherman was GM. Why the fuck isn't Sherman in the Packers' HOF? Dude holds a 44-20 record in the Green and Gold as GM/Coach, and he never missed the playoffs as GM/Coach.

The immortal Tod McBride started over Westbrook versus the Patriots that week. Westbrook did not start at all. But McBride got four starts in place of McKenzie's 13 (they are either including playoffs here or someone started as the 3rd CB). Tyrone Williams and his six shooter started 15 games but damned if I can tell who started the other.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/gnb/2002_roster.htm

But good memory on Westbrook. Given the money, I hope Breeland plays better. Westbrook was done after 2002.

Pugger
09-27-2018, 11:56 PM
now sign reid

He has signed with the Panthers.

mraynrand
09-28-2018, 06:32 AM
That's you mental midget.

rubber, glue

I know you are, what am I?

Your mother wears combat boots.

Asphincter says what?

Nyah nyah nyah nyah nyah!

:)

Anti-Polar Bear
09-28-2018, 01:34 PM
The immortal Tod McBride started over Westbrook versus the Patriots that week. Westbrook did not start at all. But McBride got four starts in place of McKenzie's 13 (they are either including playoffs here or someone started as the 3rd CB). Tyrone Williams and his six shooter started 15 games but damned if I can tell who started the other.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/gnb/2002_roster.htm

But good memory on Westbrook. Given the money, I hope Breeland plays better. Westbrook was done after 2002.

Nobody said Westbrook started. Fresh off the streets of Baltimore, Westbrook was toss quickly into the fray at NE. Picked off Brady. Moved to safety the next season, but unfortunately, blew out knee in a preseason game.

mmmdk
09-30-2018, 04:43 AM
Breeland!? What's next, Pack sign a Nazgûl?

Tony Oday
09-30-2018, 08:30 AM
Breeland!? What's next, Pack sign a Nazgûl?
Could you imagine our D with a Nazgul at MLB?!

Fritz
09-30-2018, 10:30 AM
So is Breeland really talented enough to be a quality starter at one of the outside corner spots? Is he an upgrade over House?

Bretsky
09-30-2018, 10:36 AM
So is Breeland really talented enough to be a quality starter at one of the outside corner spots? Is he an upgrade over House?

Definitely like Breeland over House

Like Reid over our S more though; don't get that one.

Reid probably signed for next to nothing. His politics definitely penalized his income. But he still got a job on the cheaps. Why not us

run pMc
10-01-2018, 11:48 AM
Definitely like Breeland over House

Like Reid over our S more though; don't get that one.

Reid probably signed for next to nothing. His politics definitely penalized his income. But he still got a job on the cheaps. Why not us

I don't like how players who protested are getting treated, JMHO. Reid still has something in the tank, but I think he's better as a box safety than a free safety. The Packers need more of the latter, so I get them not making a move there, although he might be an upgrade over HHCD. I wouldn't be surprised if Gute reboots the S position this offseason. Who knows...Raven Greene could be starting in a year.

As for Breeland -- he's an upgrade at #5 CB vs. House. Teams aren't going to sign someone off the street midseason to a big contract, but apparently he's got enough talent to get a $24M contract. It does seem weird that nobody signed him until now though.

They promoted Tony Brown from the PS too, but I'd feel more comfortable giving Breeland a shot than Brown, especially if King and Alexander have injuries.