PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Pearlman's USFL Book "Football For A Buck"

pbmax
09-27-2018, 08:46 PM
Cannot recommend enough. Stories and quotes from George Allen, Chet Simmons, Irv Eatman, Kelvin Bryant, Bobby Herbert, Anthony Carter, the legendary Chuck Fusina, Herschel Walker and that is just 1983. The USFL was first dreamed in in 1961 (yes, after the AFL started competing in the fall, the idea even in 1961 was to play in the spring).

Sam Rutigliano gets a mention as the guy who told Carl Peterson to sign Sam Mills and keep him in camp until they saw him play in an actual game. Browns cut him because he was too short. Someone should ask Ozzie Newsome if he remembers him in camp in 1982.

You will not be surprised that Jim Mora screwed up and overtaxed the League's best team in practice to lost to the Panthers in the 1983 Championship game.

The audio version is slightly problematic as the narrator is kinda dull. He doesn't know how to pronounce Herbert (AY-bear unless every announcer in the 80s and 90s was wrong), reads scores like enunciation is the goal (you can almost hear him think "that dash means to pause and say 'to' ").

But a ton of fun stories including the USFL version of Ezra Johnson - Greg Fairchild (Panthers) having a brat and a beer on the sideline.

And the USFL version of Charles Haley - John Corker.

David Greenwood, S/P, Park Falls, WI and University of Wisconsin causing a near riot in Philly when the Stars and his own Panthers teammates heard him call Kelvin Bryant the n word.

Rastak
09-27-2018, 08:47 PM
Was he the dude that wrote the Fabre book? That was pretty good.

pbmax
09-27-2018, 08:53 PM
Yep.

KYPack
09-27-2018, 09:33 PM
He's written some great stuff. He wrote some "tell some of the dirt" books. Everybody yelled at him for his expose of the 90's Cowboys and the wild and wooly Mets. I can assure you, if the whole truth came out about those teams would have come out contemporaneously, people would of totally freaked out. I missed the Favre book. I'll read that one and the USFL book.

Rastak
09-27-2018, 09:36 PM
He's written some great stuff. He wrote some "tell some of the dirt" books. Everybody yelled at him for his expose of the 90's Cowboys and the wild and wooly Mets. I can assure you, if the whole truth cam out about those teams would have come out contemporaneously, People would of totally freaked out. I missed the Favre book. I'll read that one and the USFL book.

I enjoyed the Favre book. My next sports book is going to be Jim Bouton’s Ball Four.....the USFL book sounds good. I remember that league very very well from start to finish.

KYPack
09-27-2018, 09:49 PM
Several of my friends played in the USFL. Lots of wild shit happened there. I bought both books just now. At some time I'll issue a full report

Rastak
09-27-2018, 09:51 PM
Several of my friends played in the USFL. Lots of wild shit happened there. I bought both books just now. At some time I'll issue a full report

Sounds good KY....looking forward to your take.

Gotarace
09-28-2018, 05:22 PM
David Greenwood, S/P, Park Falls, WI and University of Wisconsin causing a near riot in Philly when the Stars and his own Panthers teammates heard him call Kelvin Bryant the n word.[/QUOTE]
David Greenwood grew up one town over from me and was a amazing athlete...a one man wrecking crew in any sport he participated in. Still holds the state record in the high jump. I hear he is golfing for a living these days and enjoying that USFL contract money.

Gotarace
09-28-2018, 05:53 PM
Here is a great Read about David Greenwood and what kind of athlete he was...we graduated the same year and I got to watch this beast firsthand in many sports. https://www.si.com/vault/1984/04/23/620091/he-can-really-dish-it-out

pbmax
09-29-2018, 06:39 PM
Everyone when remembers the John Hadl years should buy this book. He is coaching the Express in LA in 1984 and cuts a player whom, he was warned, had barricaded himself in his dorm room after being cut the year before. Police had to pull him out.

He has two players outside his office for help. Cuts the player and the player punches Hadl, cutting him on the cheekbone with a ring. John got the last two shots in as the two players arrive to break it up.

Cut player threatens one teammate with death and the Express hire private security to watch the former player who stalks practice. That ended a month later as the former player starts playing for one of the USFL Texas franchises.

Hadl goes to a team meeting still bleeding from the fight.

Fritz
09-30-2018, 10:38 AM
I saw a game featuring those '83 Panthers at the Pontiac Silverdome. Me and about three thousand other people.