PDA

View Full Version : More Banjo: Week 4 vs Buffalo

pbmax
09-30-2018, 04:01 PM
Workmanlike on offense, pretty stellar on D with a smaller than usual surfeit of stupid penalties.

First shutout since 2010.

Rodgers looked much healthier, still not as accurate as he normally is with practice. Couple of passes thrown up for grabs almost.

red
09-30-2018, 04:09 PM
that might have been the most boring game i can remember watching in a long time

the bills are just terrible, and showed no signs of putting up a fight. yet we didn't exactly blow them away

just a blah game all around

mraynrand
09-30-2018, 04:14 PM
Packers offense is not great. Their mistakes really make them look marginal. Lots of drops and then inaccuracy from Rodgers to boot. Did Jones get hurt? If not, I do enjoy Stubby going away from running game just when it's really rolling.

Fritz
09-30-2018, 04:24 PM
So what's the injury report coming out of this one?

Is Jerry Alexander really hurt? Is "groin" the next new big Packer injury?

Did Monty Adams even play today?

Who wore Fackrell's uniform today?

How did Reggie Gilbert do?

smuggler
09-30-2018, 04:26 PM
I tend to give Rodgers a pass until he's healthy. He can say he feels fine, but until that brace comes off, he's not his normal self.

texaspackerbacker
09-30-2018, 04:31 PM
That's the team that killed the Vikings last week. Yeah, it seemed like we shoulda scored a lot more points, but their D wasn't horrible. The Packers played today the way a lot of people have been asking for - a lot of run plays and quicker passing. I can't complain because we won, but let's just say I'm not one of those hoping for that type of offense - I prefer Rodgers scrambling and throwing it down the field. I'd stop way short of calling the O Line "dominant". They were adequate - for once. They opened some holes for runs in the first half, and they gave Rodgers decent time to throw a few times. Mostly, though, they were nothing special.

I have been lukewarm/not enthusiastic about Pettine's D before today. I will upgrade that a lot due to the way the Packers D stopped Allen a lot better than the Vikings did - cutting off escape routes on the pass rush. Also, we were a lot better at stopping the run than last week. You could certainly say, though, the offense they were playing against was nowhere near as good as Washington last week.

I'll take a "blah game" that we win any day.

Tony Oday
09-30-2018, 05:02 PM
Jones proved he is the top back and they should use him as such.

denverYooper
09-30-2018, 05:23 PM
The offense seemed lazy all the way around once they had a lead and the D was controlling the game.

pbmax
09-30-2018, 05:25 PM
Chris Barriere @chrisbarriereTV quote from Jaire Alexander
"[Josh Allen] said something to me and then he's going to give me an elbow. Oh no, he isn't about to do that. Quarterback, I don't care.... At the end of the day he was on the ground so that's all I cared about."

Packer Report @PackerReport
Alexander says he’ll be fine and expects to practice on Wednesday. Says he caught grief for being tackled by a lineman.

Allison is being evaluated for a concussion and Alexander has a groin injury and is questionable.

Tom Silverstein @TomSilverstein
#Packers QB Aaron Rodgers called the offensive performance terrible and said there was no flow to the game. Asked whether it was about all the different personnel groupings, he said, "That's not a question for me."

Rodgers said: "That was not great by any stretch of the imagination. We need to find ways to get our playmakers in position to get some more opportunities. You know, a game like today… Davante’s a tough cover for anybody, but he should have had 20 targets today."

Rodgers wouldn't say directly that he was unhappy with the game plan, but he wasn't exactly endorsing it. When asked if he was getting the same input he normally does during the week, he said curtly, "Coach puts the plan together, I tell him what calls I like and we go."

Added Rodgers: "We were championship defensive level and non-playoff team offensive level today. That was not great by any stretch of the imagination."

Ryan Wood @ByRyanWood
It's the #Packers first shutout inside Lambeau Field since one season earlier, a 26-0 win against the Detroit Lions on Oct. 18, 2009. That was Dom Capers' first season as defensive coordinator. Now, in his third game at Lambeau Field, Mike Pettine gets his first shutout.

Ryan Wood @ByRyanWood
#Packers have 141 rush yards today. Bills have 135 yards. Total. This has been complete domination. Much more than even 22-0 indicates.

Pete Dougherty @PeteDougherty
Packers say Geronimo Allison did sustain a concussion. That and Alexander (groin) only injuries announced after game

pbmax
09-30-2018, 05:32 PM
Jim Owczarski @JimOwczarski
Kyler Fackrell blows kisses to the crowd after another sack. #Packers

OK, THATS ENOUGH OUT OF YOU KYLER

Jim Owczarski @JimOwczarski
Jaire Alexander came sprinting off the sideline to congratulate his teammates in the secondary. He’s been out for a bit with a groin injury. #Packers

Aaron Jones picked up the blitz on the last completion but asked to come out - he’s being checked on the #Packers sideline.

denverYooper
09-30-2018, 05:39 PM
I liked seeing MVS get another opportunity after he failed to battle for a near INT. I hope he learns quick because it'd be really nice to have a fast and reliable WR again

pbmax
09-30-2018, 05:40 PM
I liked seeing MVS get another opportunity after he failed to battle for a near INT. I hope he learns quick because it'd be really nice to have a fast and reliable WR again

Rodgers seems to mind his and Aaron Jones' mistakes less than the coaching staff.

mraynrand
09-30-2018, 05:46 PM
nm

pbmax
09-30-2018, 07:29 PM
OK. So Packers O line has a protection problem. Have seen it with Bulaga, Spriggs and Bach, so I don't think its a player issue.

Defense shows man for man or overload blitz on one side. Drops one, stunts one inside and gets free rusher from the outside. Its not a clear protection call as someone very well could get free, but it ALWAYS the outside guy the Packers let go.

It looks like Rodgers should know that guy is a free rusher but he doesn't hurry the throw or even playoff Atlanta game spin his way out of it.

Needs to get fixed because two of the three plays have resulted in hard hits, one in his back.

Joemailman
09-30-2018, 07:51 PM
OK. So Packers O line has a protection problem. Have seen it with Bulaga, Spriggs and Bach, so I don't think its a player issue.

Defense shows man for man or overload blitz on one side. Drops one, stunts one inside and gets free rusher from the outside. Its not a clear protection call as someone very well could get free, but it ALWAYS the outside guy the Packers let go.

It looks like Rodgers should know that guy is a free rusher but he doesn't hurry the throw or even playoff Atlanta game spin his way out of it.

Needs to get fixed because two of the three plays have resulted in hard hits, one in his back.

He said in his PC he probably should have gotten rid of the ball quicker on one of the plays. Not sure his spin moves are the same with a knee brace.

denverYooper
09-30-2018, 08:53 PM
Fackrell has as many sacks on the season as TJ Watt :duel:

esoxx
09-30-2018, 09:07 PM
The offense seemed lazy all the way around once they had a lead and the D was controlling the game.

And for that I'm pleased. Run clock, get game over. W.

ThunderDan
09-30-2018, 09:21 PM
And for that I'm pleased. Run clock, get game over. W.

No shit. Who doesn’t want a boring win every week?

The D plays well and it is boring,

Bretsky
09-30-2018, 10:06 PM
Fackrell has as many sacks on the season as TJ Watt :duel:

FACKRELL HAS 3 SACKS this year ?

Anti-Polar Bear
09-30-2018, 10:30 PM
For fuck’s sake, sign Dez already!

It’s one thing to play against a rookie poor man’s Alex Smith, it’s a another thing to actually go against Alex Smith. This same D made the game manager Smith look like Kap last week.

Point is, offense needs more WMDs for shootouts. Dez is a WMD. Fly. Be omnipotent.

Joemailman
09-30-2018, 11:41 PM
FACKRELL HAS 3 SACKS this year ?

Today.:glug::wave::pack:

Joemailman
09-30-2018, 11:42 PM
For fuck’s sake, sign Dez already!

It’s one thing to play against a rookie poor man’s Alex Smith, it’s a another thing to actually go against Alex Smith. This same D made the game manager Smith look like Kap last week.

Point is, offense needs more WMDs for shootouts. Dez is a WMD. Fly. Be omnipotent.

Aren't you the guy who wanted Pack to sign Earl Thomas?

Tony Oday
10-01-2018, 12:36 AM
Dez is shit

Smidgeon
10-01-2018, 12:45 AM
Which receiver came in after EVS when Allison went out? Was it Adams, EVS, and TEs, or did they get Moore or EQ in? I never could catch the number of the third receiver (not Graham, # in the 80s).

Joemailman
10-01-2018, 06:57 AM
Which receiver came in after EVS when Allison went out? Was it Adams, EVS, and TEs, or did they get Moore or EQ in? I never could catch the number of the third receiver (not Graham, # in the 80s).

Moore had 11 snaps on offense.

pbmax
10-01-2018, 07:07 AM
Moore had 11 snaps on offense.

Where are you getting snap counts this early in the week?

red
10-01-2018, 08:19 AM
is anyone else worried that when a-rod is bitching about the offense, hes bitching about us running the ball to much,or not going for the home run ball on every play?

Tony Oday
10-01-2018, 08:20 AM
is anyone else worried that when a-rod is bitching about the offense, hes bitching about us running the ball to much,or not going for the home run ball on every play?

I thought he was bitching about not having more Jones in the backfield

Pugger
10-01-2018, 08:24 AM

No. I'd be more concerned if he didn't care. I'm sure he is frustrated because he can't move as well as he normally does and his knee hurts. I must say he looked a little more nimble yesterday.

Harlan Huckleby
10-01-2018, 08:26 AM
If Arod is bitching it is probably frustration at his own subpar game. He wasn't as accurate as usual.

ThunderDan
10-01-2018, 08:28 AM

I wasn't really sure what he was getting at. I know there were at least 2 plays in the 2nd half that Arod had the run/pass option and chose to throw to the WR in the flat instead of letting Jones/Williams run inside.

pbmax
10-01-2018, 08:32 AM
I think its everything. Wants more throws to Adams (said that explicitly), probably more passing in second half. Less of a game plan to protect him (lots of shorter offense this week). Probably more Jones (speculation).

Harlan Huckleby
10-01-2018, 08:39 AM
I may be the only one, but I am happy to have Jones carry the ball about 15 times a game. (I think he got 12 Sunday.) OK, I'll go up to 20 if needed.

Williams is good too, he picks up extra YAC. I want to see all three backs get touches. And this should remain a pass-first team.

Maybe this is a corny old canard, but I think the defense gets used to the speed of the running backs. When you mix-in lighning with thunder, they get deceived by the fast guy. I think Jones can do a lot of damage with fresh legs and less injuries.

Williams is by no means slow. Jones just has extra extra quickness.

Joemailman
10-01-2018, 08:39 AM
Rodgers mentioned that he thought Adams should have been targeted more, and I think he wants Jones out there more. So I think his frustrations had something to do with playcalling, but also the personnel that was put on the field. Jones was on the field for 38% of the plays. I think Rodgers, and a lot of people, would like to see that number go up. Jones had 65 rushing yards and Williams 27 on the same number of carries.

Anti-Polar Bear
10-01-2018, 08:42 AM
I thought he was bitching about not having more Jones in the backfield

Actually, Butte was bitching 'bout the cowardly WR-screens on 3rd and John Holmes long. Next time it's 3rd and John Holmes long, might as well put Scott at "tailback" out of the "shutgun" and if there's no returner deep, direct snap to Scott and punt the bitch.

mraynrand
10-01-2018, 08:43 AM
Rodgers mentioned that he thought Adams should have been targeted more, and I think he wants Jones out there more. So I think his frustrations had something to do with playcalling, but also the personnel that was put on the field. Jones was on the field for 38% of the plays. I think Rodgers, and a lot of people, would like to see that number go up. Jones had 65 rushing yards and Williams 27 on the same number of carries.

If it's about Jones, I agree. Stubby has a remarkable trait of moving away from something when it's working, and Jones' running yesterday seemed to be just that. Adams was targeted 14 times. That's a lot. Rodgers must have been pissed that Allison and (Graham) were dropping passes, not to mention his own clear misses.

mraynrand
10-01-2018, 08:45 AM
Actually, Butte was bitching 'bout the cowardly WR-screens on 3rd and John Holmes long.

That stat of the Packers being dead last at 9.9 (or whatever) average yards to go on third down was startling. As Joe Namath would say: "Dey goin' in reverse!"

Joemailman
10-01-2018, 08:51 AM

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201809300gnb.htm

Anti-Polar Bear
10-01-2018, 08:54 AM
Aren't you the guy who wanted Pack to sign Earl Thomas?

Yes. The math favors Thomas NOT breaking his leg in the Green and Gold. Dix and Brice played well against Buffalo, but Josh "My Nigga" Allen was the QB. Hit me up again after the Detroit game. Game manager Alex Smith made Dix and Brice his bitches. Gungslinger and the nicest lad in the NFL, Matt Stafford, is getting aroused just thinking about facing Dix and Brice.

Anti-Polar Bear
10-01-2018, 09:14 AM
I may be the only one, but I am happy to have Jones carry the ball about 15 times a game. (I think he got 12 Sunday.) OK, I'll go up to 20 if needed.

Williams is good too, he picks up extra YAC. I want to see all three backs get touches. And this should remain a pass-first team.

Maybe this is a corny old canard, but I think the defense gets used to the speed of the running backs. When you mix-in lighning with thunder, they get deceived by the fast guy. I think Jones can do a lot of damage with fresh legs and less injuries.

Williams is by no means slow. Jones just has extra extra quickness.

Fuck them all. Trade for Bell!

pbmax
10-01-2018, 09:18 AM
With Rodgers getting healthier, I don't think there is a need to have Williams back there to protect Rodgers.

The big question is Monty's 3rd down role. He hits some stuff and is versatile. But I am not sure he is a more sure handed option compared to Jones either.

Anti-Polar Bear
10-01-2018, 09:43 AM
That stat of the Packers being dead last at 9.9 (or whatever) average yards to go on third down was startling. As Joe Namath would say: "Dey goin' in reverse!"

In a game of possessions, waving the white flag on 3rd and John Holmes long is uncool and unsound. Gotta call a play that gives the O a realistic chance of moving the chain. Cowards assert that that's when mistakes happen, but cowards don't have the Great Arm of Butte at QB.

Wait, McCarthy has A-Rod at QB. Orangutans are smarter than McCarthy (and Tony O'Day).

Joemailman
10-01-2018, 09:43 AM
Packers are bogging down when they get in field goal range. So far, 8 offensive TD's and 10 FG's. Compare to 2016 when they had 51 TD's and 26 field goals.

Harlan Huckleby
10-01-2018, 09:47 AM
Because I care about truth, justice and the American Way, I looked up the list of running backs with most carries per game.
Aaron Jones got 12 yesterday, the same number that Minnesota's speedster Cook gets each week.

Packers are a pass-first team with 2 1/2 good men at the running back position. Maybe Jones could use a few more, but you moron armchair coaches think McCarthy is out of bounds. I'd say anywhere in the 12-16 range is ideal, given the Packer situation.

1 Carlos Hyde 20.8
2 Todd Gurley LA 19.8
3 Joe Mixon 19.0
4 Adrian Peterson WAS 18.7
5 Ezekiel Elliott DAL 18.2
6 Kareem Hunt KC 17.3
7 Marshawn Lynch OAK 17.0
8 Sony Michel NE RB 16.3
9 Jordan Howard CHI 16.0
10 James Conner PIT 15.8
11 Christian McCaffrey CAR 15.3
12 Chris Carson SEA 15.0
13 Lamar Miller HOU 14.5
14 Saquon Barkley NYG 14.0
14 David Johnson ARI 14.0
14 Alvin Kamara NO 14.0
17 Tevin Coleman ATL 13.5
17 Melvin Gordon LAC 13.5
17 Derrick Henry TEN 13.5
20 Kenneth Dixon BAL
22 Jay Ajayi PHI RB 12.3
23 T.J. Yeldon JAX RB 12.2
24 Dalvin Cook MIN 12.0
24 Royce Freeman DEN 12.0
26 Jamaal Williams GB 11.8
27 Alex Collins BAL 11.2
28 Phillip Lindsay DEN 11.0
28 Alfred Morris SF 11.0
30 Dion Lewis TEN 10.8
31 Isaiah Crowell 10.5
32 Matt Breida SF 10.2
33 Leonard Fournette JAX 10.0
33 Ronald Jones TB 10.0
33 Marlon Mack IND 10.0

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?seasonType=REG&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=RUSHING_ATTEMPTS_PER_GAME_AVG&tabSeq=0&season=2018&Submit=Go&experience=&archive=false&statisticCategory=RUSHING&conference=null&qualified=false

pbmax
10-01-2018, 09:59 AM
Snaps by RB: Jones 29, williams 28, Montgomery 20.

hoosier
10-01-2018, 10:01 AM
Packers are bogging down when they get in field goal range. So far, 8 offensive TD's and 10 FG's. Compare to 2016 when they had 51 TD's and 26 field goals.

The million dollar question: is it execution or scheme? I've seen plenty of poor execution, from dropped passes, inaccurate throws and botched running plays to a perpetually leaky offensive line. Although I have always liked beer and still like beer, I am not qualified to pass judgment on the scheme

pbmax
10-01-2018, 10:07 AM
Because I care about truth, justice and the American Way, I looked up the list of running backs with most carries per game.
Aaron Jones got 12 yesterday, the same number that Minnesota's speedster Cook gets each week.

Packers are a pass-first team with 2 1/2 good men at the running back position. Maybe Jones could use a few more, but you moron armchair coaches think McCarthy is out of bounds. I'd say anywhere in the 12-16 range is ideal, given the Packer situation.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?seasonType=REG&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=RUSHING_ATTEMPTS_PER_GAME_AVG&tabSeq=0&season=2018&Submit=Go&experience=&archive=false&statisticCategory=RUSHING&conference=null&qualified=false

1 Carlos Hyde CLE 20.8
2 Todd Gurley LAR 19.8
3 Joe Mixon CIN 19.0
4 Adrian Peterson WAS 18.7
5 Ezekiel Elliott DAL 18.2
6 Kareem Hunt KCC 17.3
7 Marshawn Lynch OAK 17.0
8 Sony Michel NEP 16.3
9 Jordan Howard CHI 16.0
10 James Conner PIT 15.8
11 Chr McCaffrey CAR 15.3
12 Chris Carson SEA 15.0
13 Lamar Miller HOU 14.5
14 Saquon Barkley NYG 14.0
14 David Johnson ARI 14.0
14 Alvin Kamara NOS 14.0
17 Tevin Coleman ATL 13.5
17 Melvin Gordon LAC 13.5
17 Derrick Henry TEN 13.5
20 Kenneth Dixon BAL
22 Jay Ajayi PHI 12.3
23 T.J. Yeldon JAX 12.2
24 Dalvin Cook MIN 12.0
24 Royce Freeman DEN 12.0
26 Jamaal Williams GBP 11.8
27 Alex Collins BAL 11.2
28 Phillip Lindsay DEN 11.0
28 Alfred Morris SF4 11.0
30 Dion Lewis TEN 10.8
31 Isaiah Crowell NYJ 10.5
32 Matt Breida SF4 10.2
33 Leo Fournette JAX 10.0
33 Ronald Jones TBB 10.0
33 Marlon Mack IND 10.0

Joemailman
10-01-2018, 10:22 AM

Yes, but Cook is averaging lees than 3 YPC. Shouldn't the guy averaging 6 get the ball more than the guy averaging less than 3? If Jones had Cook's average, I don't think people would be clamoring for him to get more carries.

Harlan Huckleby
10-01-2018, 10:34 AM
Yes, but Cook is averaging lees than 3 YPC. Shouldn't the guy averaging 6 get the ball more than the guy averaging less than 3? If Jones had Cook's average, I don't think people would be clamoring for him to get more carries.
You're right, in a game when Jones is that hot, he should have gotten more carries.

Jones has had very few carries, we'll see at end of season if Jones is really so much better than Cook.

I am liking the Packer O-line this season.

Fritz
10-01-2018, 10:34 AM

I don't think he means exact number of snaps; he means Moore or less.

Harlan Huckleby
10-01-2018, 10:36 AM
CODE

Nice trick. You young people are wizards.

pbmax
10-01-2018, 10:40 AM
I don't think he means exact number of snaps; he means Moore or less.

For a Marquez, I thought there was Scantling evidence he was making it all up.

pbmax
10-01-2018, 10:41 AM
Nice trick. You young people are wizards.

Thank you. But you still owe us Kenneth Dixon's average number of carries. I can't stand the suspense.

red
10-01-2018, 10:47 AM

Problems in the red zone is an old problem for our offense

Big target TEs and wrs we’re suppose to fix that problem

pbmax
10-01-2018, 10:56 AM
Problems in the red zone is an old problem for our offense

Big target TEs and wrs we’re suppose to fix that problem

Its not a red zone issue, I don't think. Its a 35 yard line issue. Lots of 40-55 yard FG attempts.

mraynrand
10-01-2018, 11:40 AM
The million dollar question: is it execution or scheme? I've seen plenty of poor execution, from dropped passes, inaccurate throws and botched running plays to a perpetually leaky offensive line. Although I have always liked beer and still like beer, I am not qualified to pass judgment on the scheme

That's weird what beer does. My daughter was at the game yesterday, had a beer, thought she saw Fackrell jump on Allen, then Clay piled on, knocked Fackrell off, then Allen then ran away - out of bounds. Funny thing, no one else saw it, including her friend who was sitting right next to her, my daughter can't remember what quarter it happened in, or what side of the field, and now she tells me she doesn't know how she even got to and from the game!

Joemailman
10-01-2018, 12:04 PM
So Packer fans have this going for them, which is nice.

https://usatpackerswire.files.wordpress.com/2018/10/usatsi_11354428.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

mraynrand
10-01-2018, 12:06 PM
striking

run pMc
10-01-2018, 12:07 PM
Buffalo's D was a big part of how they won 9 games last year. Putting up 22 isn't great, but not awful either. GB was sloppy with the ball - dropped passes and fumbles. The Rodgers pick was on a tipped ball. I find it hard to imagine targeting anyone 20 times in a game, except maybe during the Favre-Sharpe era...so I'm wondering about the sanity of that comment. If Adams was so open and dominant, why wasn't he targeted more? I thought Tre White covered him pretty well.
Rodgers was not his best yesterday, but neither was the playcalling. Hope they learn and improve vs. make a big deal of it in the pressers.

I'm ok with Jones splitting snaps. Ty was pretty effective as a receiver, and Jamaal gives you everything he has. I don't think Jones is built to be a 20-25 carry back.
I think they could give Jones a few more snaps at the expense of the others, but a 40/40/20 split between Jones, Williams and Ty would be fine IMO in general.

A chunk of that also assumes there are matchups they can exploit, Ty can be a factor there.

mraynrand
10-01-2018, 12:09 PM
I don't think Jones is built to be a 20-25 carry back.
I think they could give Jones a few more snaps at the expense of the others, but a 40/40/20 split between Jones, Williams and Ty would be fine IMO in general.

good point. Makes sense.

Tony Oday
10-01-2018, 12:27 PM
Maybe they are just saving AJ for later in the year? Give more carries to plodder and glass before it really matters?