PDA

View Full Version : another unsubstantiated rumor:JWalk for Seattle 1st (Mel K.)

motife
04-16-2006, 10:18 AM
Apparently Mel Kiper is saying that a deal for the 31st overall pick and Javon Walker is in the works.

http://mb16.scout.com/fpackersfansfrm1.showMessage?topicID=22108.topic

p.s. the last unsubstantiated rumor appeared to have some validity. The Packers had put an offer on the table for Charles Woodson and he was considering it.

motife
04-16-2006, 10:26 AM
Walker Denver-bound?
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_3715898

"There is speculation in Green Bay the Packers will grant Javon Walker his wish and deal him. If Walker is traded, is it likely to happen draft week or during the draft.

Denver has talked to Green Bay about the disgruntled receiver. The Broncos, along with the Eagles and the 49ers, are expected to make a strong push for Walker.

Green Bay has maintained it expects Walker to stay. But if a good enough offer comes along, including a draft pick, it might be tempting for the Packers to rid themselves of the distraction Walker is sure to create. If Denver is the trading partner with Green Bay, the deal likely would happen on draft day."

MJZiggy
04-16-2006, 10:57 AM
This is gonna be a fun draft day.

ND72
04-16-2006, 11:02 AM
I will not be surprised if, and when, Walker is traded, especially on draft day, or draft week. I'm just hoping we get something good for him, and we are able to build a nice 1st day draft that we haven't had in years.

Rastak
04-16-2006, 11:07 AM
I will not be surprised if, and when, Walker is traded, especially on draft day, or draft week. I'm just hoping we get something good for him, and we are able to build a nice 1st day draft that we haven't had in years.

I'd jump on a 1st for Walker if I were TT.

Partial
04-16-2006, 11:08 AM
If we get the 31st pick in the draft, who do we take?

Patler
04-16-2006, 11:11 AM

"The best player available!" :lol: :razz:

MJZiggy
04-16-2006, 11:16 AM
Good one! Perhaps you are TT.

ND72
04-16-2006, 11:20 AM
the "Who do we take" thought, is why this draft will be fun. not only do we have a high pick, but then we sit and watch for guys who fall possibly to us in the 2nd round, and if we get another 1st, watch who falls to us then. if we got, say the #31 pick, i would not be surprised if a LenDale White was there, TT would take him (i know he's injured, but his value would be high there).

retailguy
04-16-2006, 11:21 AM

Who is the top rated punter? Maybe we should trade up for him?

MJZiggy
04-16-2006, 11:24 AM
Wait, but we have the Canadian dude who everyone said will be awesome. I think Ryan might even win that job.

ND72
04-16-2006, 11:35 AM
I would prefer to send JWalk to the Broncos cause they are in the AFC...BUT, depending on the draft pick we could get, i'd rather have the better of the draft pick.

Harlan Huckleby
04-16-2006, 11:38 AM
This could be a good deal for both parties.

But I think a CONDItIONAL pick in next year's draft is more likely, due to Walker's serious injury.

MJZiggy
04-16-2006, 11:40 AM
Do they even give out conditional firsts?

Harlan Huckleby
04-16-2006, 11:52 AM
well, the point is, it will turn into a 3rd or something if Walker does not make it thru next season.

But hell, if Walker can get a top pick this year, great. But I find it slightly generous.

motife
04-16-2006, 12:15 PM
But I find it slightly generous.

It could be considered generous, but what wideouts are better than Javon Walker was in 2004 averaging 18 yards/receptions on 80 catches? What would he be worth healthy?

If there's a bidding war for a proven receiver, it could drive the trade price up.

How serious was Javon's injury? Will he lose the ability to stretch the field? Will he be ready this year?

packrulz
04-16-2006, 12:25 PM
I think Javon had one torn ACL in his knee and players come back from that pretty often. I think a trade is possible.

Tarlam!
04-16-2006, 12:46 PM
Still, it will leave a sour taste. I hope he plays so poorly, he's benched - that is, if he plays for some other team.

MadtownPacker
04-16-2006, 01:16 PM
If this is true DO IT!!!!!!!!

HarveyWallbangers
04-16-2006, 11:24 PM
I'd jump on a 1st for Walker if I were TT.

Me too.

Definitely.

It ain't going to happen though. No team is going to trade a 1st round pick for a wideout with 1 1/2 good years, coming off a bad knee injury, and who is a FA at the end of the season.

Tarlam!
04-17-2006, 03:49 AM
Harv, didn't Denver draft Clarett kinda high only to cut him? Walker has proven he can be a star. The ACL come-backs list is extremely long. These athletes gets the best possible medical treatment.

Also, say what you like about Walker-Scumbucket, he is known for his work ethic. He will be rehabbing his butt off.

I think the upside for a team in need of a league top 5 receiver is higher than the downside in the equation. That's why I think he is worth a low first high second, and TT should not blink.

He already behaved in a way that Rosenwhore got fired. TT should stick to his guns.

motife
04-17-2006, 07:37 AM
No team is going to trade a 1st round pick for a wideout with 1 1/2 good years, coming off a bad knee injury, and who is a FA at the end of the season.

the last part, that he'll become a FA at the end of the season, would be resolved as it is in all trades, subject to the player agreeing to a new multi-year contract prior to the trade.

Would you rather get Sinorice Moss with the 31st pick or Javon Walker?

I'm just thinking out loud. Not saying this is logical or good thinking.

Fritz
04-17-2006, 07:49 AM
These rumors sound too good to be true. If anyone' willing to give up even so much as a third rounder for Walker in this draft, I say pull the trigger.

imscott72
04-17-2006, 09:14 AM
These rumors sound too good to be true. If anyone' willing to give up even so much as a third rounder for Walker in this draft, I say pull the trigger.

I say unless it's a first or a VERY high second, let him rot on the bench. I think a team like Denver definitely would be willing to part with a 1st being they have two of them. Yeah Walk was hurt, but everyone knows he has tremendous talent and will most likely bounce back.

Yeah draft day is going to be very interesting. :mrgreen:

gureski
04-17-2006, 09:18 AM

I say unless it's a first or a VERY high second, let him rot on the bench. I think a team like Denver definitely would be willing to part with a 1st being they have two of them. Yeah Walk was hurt, but everyone knows he has tremendous talent and will most likely bounce back.

What will the Packers gain if they do as you propose and 'let him rot'?

If the team can get a late second rounder this year for Walker then they ought to take the deal and run. A 2nd in this draft is comparable in talent to a late 1st in last years draft.

Walker WILL show up for t he final 6 games to wipe out the final year of his deal with G.B.. There is zero reason to think he wont do that and if he does....then the Packers will lose him and have nothing in return. They need to get something for the guy. If he had two years left on his deal then it would be different but he has one year left and needs to only show up for 6 games in order to erase that year and make himself a free agent.

imscott72
04-17-2006, 09:27 AM
[quote=Fritz]These rumors sound too good to be true. If anyone' willing to give up even so much as a third rounder for Walker in this draft, I say pull the trigger.

What will the Packers gain if they do as you propose and 'let him rot'?quote]

They make a statement telling other teams they won't be undersold when it comes to making offers for Javon. It also sends a message to the other players watching this situation very closely that the Packer organization isn't going to fold like a tent when a player bitches about wanting a huge pay raise for one year of production.