PDA

View Full Version : The Official Packers-Lions Discussion Thread

Anti-Polar Bear
10-02-2018, 02:38 PM
Fuck, I'm going gray and impotent. Currently in pain, for the first time, from a gout malady in the big left toe. Worst part is, I'm being forced to flip burgers for the minimum-wage while the pain persists. Anyone selling Zyklon B? Kentucky? I would like to dull the pain once and for all.

Oh, about the Lions, they can't run the rock; they play defense like James Harden; they beat the mighty Rebels of the former British Colonies; and Matt Stafford is the nicest lad in the NFL. Ever since he turned pro, Stafford has helped many a-merry men get touched for the very first time, either as a wing man or paying for merry men's services.

Discuss.

Fritz
10-02-2018, 06:50 PM
[QUOTE=Anti-Polar Bear;988033]Fuck, I'm going gray and impotent. Currently in pain, for the first time, from a gout malady in the big left toe. Worst part is, I'm being forced to flip burgers for the minimum-wage while the pain persists. Anyone selling Zyklon B? Kentucky? I would like to dull the pain once and for all.

Oh, about the Lions, they can't run the rock; they play defense like James Harden; they beat the mighty Rebels of the former British Colonies; and Matt Stafford is the nicest lad in the NFL. Ever since he turned pro, Stafford has helped many a-merry men get touched for the very first time, either as a wing man or paying for merry men's services.

Discuss.[/QUOTE

Kerryon Johnson CAN run the rock. Look out. He's gonna gash the Pack - if the Lions are smart enough to give it to him more than ten times. Look out.

Teamcheez1
10-02-2018, 06:56 PM
[QUOTE=Anti-Polar Bear;988033]Fuck, I'm going gray and impotent. Currently in pain, for the first time, from a gout malady in the big left toe. Worst part is, I'm being forced to flip burgers for the minimum-wage while the pain persists. Anyone selling Zyklon B? Kentucky? I would like to dull the pain once and for all.

Discuss.[/QUOTE

Kerryon Johnson CAN run the rock. Look out. He's gonna gash the Pack - if the Lions are smart enough to give it to him more than ten times. Look out.

You forget, we have Fackrell.

run pMc
10-03-2018, 10:30 AM
Kerryon Johnson CAN run the rock. So far, I agree. He's averaging over 5 ypc.

Don't know about Stafford. He's really good when he's not terrible. For a change the Packers might have CBs to cover Golden Taint and Marvin Jones IIIII.

As for the offense, this might be a good game to give Aaron Jones more snaps, and test MVS' speed on Ford Field. I have no idea if the Lions can cover Jimmy Graham. Maybe getting Cobb back healthy will make Rodgers less cranky too.

Fritz
10-03-2018, 01:25 PM
So far, I agree. He's averaging over 5 ypc.

Don't know about Stafford. He's really good when he's not terrible. For a change the Packers might have CBs to cover Golden Taint and Marvin Jones IIIII.

As for the offense, this might be a good game to give Aaron Jones more snaps, and test MVS' speed on Ford Field. I have no idea if the Lions can cover Jimmy Graham. Maybe getting Cobb back healthy will make Rodgers less cranky too.

The Lions were not only being written off after that first game against the Jest, they were being described as having quit on their coach. Then they lost another, and then people figured they were surely off to an 0 - 5 start. So naturally they turned around and beat the Patriots - the Patriots! - at Ford Field.

To me, this is like the Green Bay/Washington game or the Minnesota/Buffalo game - you think you know who "should" win, but they don't win. The Lions' offense - if the offensive line plays better - has tremendous potential. They've got some very good receivers - Tate is slippery and dangerous (like Drew Barrymore!) and this rookie running back looks really tough. Stafford at home can be excellent.

The Lion's defense doesn't look so scary, but if they can get a turnover or two, this could get the crowd fired up - and you don't want that place fired up. It is LOUD.

Anti-Polar Bear
10-03-2018, 05:02 PM
The Lions were not only being written off after that first game against the Jest, they were being described as having quit on their coach. Then they lost another, and then people figured they were surely off to an 0 - 5 start. So naturally they turned around and beat the Patriots - the Patriots! - at Ford Field.

To me, this is like the Green Bay/Washington game or the Minnesota/Buffalo game - you think you know who "should" win, but they don't win. The Lions' offense - if the offensive line plays better - has tremendous potential. They've got some very good receivers - Tate is slippery and dangerous (like Drew Barrymore!) and this rookie running back looks really tough. Stafford at home can be excellent.

The Lion's defense doesn't look so scary, but if they can get a turnover or two, this could get the crowd fired up - and you don't want that place fired up. It is LOUD.

Love the reverse psychology, Fritz.

Much as I like Matt Stafford, the Packer D is reeking arrogance and confidence. Butte is pissed as fuck. I'm thinking a Packer rout. 45-17, Packers. And that's not reverse psychology.

Upnorth
10-03-2018, 06:42 PM
Our last game felt like eating chinese to me, satisfied for a short time but left wanting more. Hopefully our d feels the same way or we will have a tough time with this game, even if our o clicks.

Joemailman
10-03-2018, 07:35 PM
https://primary-cdn-shortstop.espn.net/83a006c1-0aea-4bf0-b909-8b61e9ef741b.png

Kevin King at full participation is good news. Cobb no participation is not.

pbmax
10-03-2018, 09:18 PM
Good thing there are two TEs who are fresh.

Joemailman
10-03-2018, 10:58 PM
All the RB'a are healthy. Time to bring back the wishbone.

pbmax
10-04-2018, 08:26 AM
I believe there is tension over the offense. But I don't think these are all examples of it.

Back at the Super Bowl, Rodgers was displeased the Packers didn’t consult him before choosing not to retain quarterbacks coach Alex Van Pelt. Rodgers never fully endorsed McCarthy’s decision to reorganize his playbook this offseason. A week after saying young receivers gave a “piss-poor” effort in a scout-team drill in camp, Rodgers explained his strong stance, saying, “If no one else is going to stand up and criticize a bad practice, then maybe I need to be the one to do it.”

So Sunday’s public venting was not uncommon

Calling out young players fits neatly into a veterans job, McCarthy rarely blows up at players publicly.

The playbook thing is completely overblown. As it was described in detail by Philbin, they streamlined and cleaned it up, removing redundancies.

Could this all be a public admission of lack of faith in the coach? Maybe. I think the blow up over the offense versus Buffalo does mean he is not happy with the direction of the offense, but I am not sure the other things here tell us much.

Ryan Wood: https://t.co/V5GDQs4r0M

mraynrand
10-04-2018, 08:33 AM
The playbook thing is completely overblown. As it was described in detail by Philbin, they streamlined and cleaned it up, removing redundancies.

Seriously, how many ways can you even say "run straight out and stand around next to a defender, covered, until Rodgers scrambles, then run around some more until he has to throw it in panic."

mraynrand
10-04-2018, 08:36 AM
I think the blow up over the offense versus Buffalo does mean he is not happy with the direction of the offense, but I am not sure the other things here tell us much.

If/when Graham plays, I'd like them to continue having Rodgers throw the ball to him below his knees on 1-2 yard out patterns. I think it hurts Graham's back if he stretches above defenders to catch a higher throw over the middle.

pbmax
10-04-2018, 08:45 AM
On running too much on 2nd and 3rd and long: https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/by-the-numbers/2018/10/3/17933732/the-packers-run-too-much-on-2nd-and-3rd-and-long-mccarthy-mcvay-williams-montgomery-rodgers

I agree in general. Especially at home, 3rd and 11 as in the first video example. Its just praying for a long FG. I do think some of this is to protect Rodgers knee.

However, it should be noted that this run-pass option should have worked. It should have worked as either option. Both options were open. As it happened, passing might have been a better choice, the pass to the flat for Graham.

But had the slot receiver (Adams?) or the RG (Bell) made their block, Williams goes for double digits.

The Bills vacated the middle to account for the front side pass play (one ILB dropped for pass coverage, the other ran to the flat with Graham) which should have completely opened up the run as the Packers had two blockers deep while optioning off 55.

But Bell's guy slanted to the middle and spooked Williams. Bell either needs to stop that or push him into the hash.

If Adam gets ANY block on the safety, he doesn't trip Williams as he cuts upfield after going wide. This is why a quicker back like Jones can make this a 10 yard run as opposed to the 1 yard run it was.

Harlan Huckleby
10-04-2018, 12:59 PM
All the RB'a are healthy. Time to bring back the wishbone.

I had to scratch my head to recall who the three running backs are (my mind still doesn't register Montgomery as a RB)
Why, they have FOUR rbs on the roster, forgot completely about Jackson.

Aaron Jones is the best third string RB in the NFL.

pbmax
10-04-2018, 01:16 PM
Tom Silverstein
Top three WRs during #Packers practice were the three rookies: Marquez Valdez-Scantling, J’Mon Moore and Equanimeous St. Brown.

Fritz
10-04-2018, 01:46 PM
On running too much on 2nd and 3rd and long: https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/by-the-numbers/2018/10/3/17933732/the-packers-run-too-much-on-2nd-and-3rd-and-long-mccarthy-mcvay-williams-montgomery-rodgers

I agree in general. Especially at home, 3rd and 11 as in the first video example. Its just praying for a long FG. I do think some of this is to protect Rodgers knee.

However, it should be noted that this run-pass option should have worked. It should have worked as either option. Both options were open. As it happened, passing might have been a better choice, the pass to the flat for Graham.

But had the slot receiver (Adams?) or the RG (Bell) made their block, Williams goes for double digits.

The Bills vacated the middle to account for the front side pass play (one ILB dropped for pass coverage, the other ran to the flat with Graham) which should have completely opened up the run as the Packers had two blockers deep while optioning off 55.

But Bell's guy slanted to the middle and spooked Williams. Bell either needs to stop that or push him into the hash.

If Adam gets ANY block on the safety, he doesn't trip Williams as he cuts upfield after going wide. This is why a quicker back like Jones can make this a 10 yard run as opposed to the 1 yard run it was.

Funny how two people can see the same thing and draw entirely different conclusions. Watching that play, I saw a running back who had no chance. There were white jerseys all around him when he went down, so even if the slot receiver (whom I think was Allison) had blocked the corner or safety or whatever he was, that run wasn't going for more than three or four yards.

I'm still thinking old-school philosophy, apparently, though when I watch this Packer offense the past couple of years it's hard for me to agree that a good QB in a decent offense can very often complete a ten-yard pass. If anything, the whole exercise seems to have become more and more laborious over the years, at least for Green Bay. This year particularly there are lots and lots of passes close to the line of scrimmage or (before he got hurt) Rodgers trying, over and over, for the Big Play.

I don't know enough about the ins and outs of the game to know why that seems to be the case. I sure would like to see a few ten-yard completions.

texaspackerbacker
10-04-2018, 02:09 PM
Tom Silverstein
Top three WRs during #Packers practice were the three rookies: Marquez Valdez-Scantling, J’Mon Moore and Equanimeous St. Brown.

The future is now hahahaha. If they would actually use these guys instead of babying them along and benching them again at first opportunity, I'm pretty sure they would be more than decent. A lot of teams have success with rookie receivers, and they all have QBs not as good as ours.

mraynrand
10-04-2018, 03:20 PM
Tom Silverstein

Good thing they drafted three of 'em

mraynrand
10-04-2018, 03:21 PM
The future is now hahahaha. If they would actually use these guys instead of babying them along and benching them again at first opportunity, I'm pretty sure they would be more than decent. A lot of teams have success with rookie receivers, and they all have QBs not as good as ours.

Rodgers doesn't trust them, so he won't throw to them. I guess Kendricks is gonna get about 45 targets this Sunday.

run pMc
10-04-2018, 03:31 PM
if we're looking at the same play, I agree - Bell and MVS both whiffed on their blocks, and on the backside Graham ran a quick out pattern instead of chipping 55 (hughes?). I think Williams saw 55 crashing down and the blocks not developing so he picked a different hole. Linsley doesn't even get to block the LB before the DB tackles Williams.

I agree they need run-pass balance, but once it went to 2nd and long I thought they should start thinking pass. You have your team at midfield with Rodgers at QB -- give him 2 pass plays to make something happen. Maybe you can fool the D on 2nd and long with a run...but once that's stuffed, don't just run it again to be stubborn. Even if everyone in the stadium thinks it's going to be a pass, you still have a top 5 QB to work with.

If Rodgers is mad about the play calling or "plan", that could be why. Regardless, what I saw was not well executed. Only thing I can think of is they wanted to protect Rodgers from a big hit on a blitz.

For Detroit, they will have to run the ball. They will need to mix it up better to keep Stafford off the field and the crowd out of it.

mraynrand
10-04-2018, 04:03 PM
I can't pass judgment on this particular running play until I hear from run-game coordinator James Campen.

Joemailman
10-04-2018, 04:40 PM
https://primary-cdn-shortstop.espn.net/c3e90184-e437-47f1-a30a-b29fc043b3f1.png

Joemailman
10-04-2018, 04:45 PM
Thom Brennaman and Chris Spielman with the call.

http://506sports.com/2018/05-FOX-E-V3.png

mraynrand
10-04-2018, 04:45 PM
Brice: Limited Participation.

Is that from last Sunday?

Anti-Polar Bear
10-04-2018, 05:52 PM

Last week, I flipped burgers for the minimum-wages for 12 hours per day for three days str8t with gout in my toe...These highly paid wankers won’t practice b/c of groin an knee and hammy injuries.

Fucking milkshops!

Cheesehead Craig
10-04-2018, 07:17 PM
Bruce was a limited participant, but it had nothing to do with injury.

Fritz
10-04-2018, 08:19 PM

Ah, now there's the kind of Packer injury report we've grown accustomed to over the years!

For the Lions, Ansah is back practicing, but Lang is out.

bobblehead
10-04-2018, 10:45 PM
So far, I agree. He's averaging over 5 ypc.

For some undefinable reason this is one of my favorite posts in a long time.

bobblehead
10-04-2018, 10:56 PM
Tom Silverstein

Moore looks like a more imposing Anquon Boldin and James Jones. We need to get him involved in the way we envisioned when we drafted him.

wthigoot
10-05-2018, 12:38 AM
Moore looks like a more imposing Anquon Boldin and James Jones. We need to get him involved in the way we envisioned when we drafted him.

I am thinking that Moore will become famous or infamous this week. The opening is there and he was the first drafted because he was more polished.

Option 1: Moore has 6+ receptions, 100+ yards, 1 or 2 TDs

Option 2: 3 bad drops and he is stapled to the bench for the rest of the season.

mraynrand
10-05-2018, 11:03 AM
Halfway through training camp J'Mon pretty much admitted that he was nowhere near ready, playbook-wise. Has that changed? If he's not up to the mastering-the-offense task yet, Rodgers isn't gonna want him in there, let alone throw in his direction.

Anti-Polar Bear
10-05-2018, 12:10 PM
Looks like Cobby ain't gonna game. Fuckin' milksop.

Time to sign Dez.

gbgary
10-05-2018, 12:57 PM
a division game, on the road, with injury issues...https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/images/smilies/willy_nilly.gif

Pack by 3.

gbgary
10-05-2018, 12:57 PM
Looks like Cobby ain't gonna game. Fuckin' milksop.

Time to sign Dez.

they hanging on for Jake.

Tony Oday
10-05-2018, 12:59 PM
Well this is why we drafted so many WR's....

Fritz
10-05-2018, 03:26 PM
Could be a tough game. Rodgers bitching after an incompletion or interception. Young receivers throwing up their hands, not sure what they did wrong.

Ruh roh.

Two tight end sets, baby! Then when the Lions play one high safety, you sneak the young tight end, Tonyan, out into the middle, going long.

mraynrand
10-05-2018, 03:45 PM
Could be a tough game. Rodgers bitching after an incompletion or interception. Young receivers throwing up their hands, not sure what they did wrong.

Ruh roh.

Two tight end sets, baby! Then when the Lions play one high safety, you sneak the young tight end, Tonyan, out into the middle, going long.

Go with Ravens' triple tight end sets (assuming Graham's knee holds up). Line up Lewis at Guard and send him on a slant. Hell, the refs don't even see that crap.

Rodgers: Trust, but verify!

pbmax
10-05-2018, 08:01 PM
Funny how two people can see the same thing and draw entirely different conclusions. Watching that play, I saw a running back who had no chance. There were white jerseys all around him when he went down, so even if the slot receiver (whom I think was Allison) had blocked the corner or safety or whatever he was, that run wasn't going for more than three or four yards.

I'm still thinking old-school philosophy, apparently, though when I watch this Packer offense the past couple of years it's hard for me to agree that a good QB in a decent offense can very often complete a ten-yard pass. If anything, the whole exercise seems to have become more and more laborious over the years, at least for Green Bay. This year particularly there are lots and lots of passes close to the line of scrimmage or (before he got hurt) Rodgers trying, over and over, for the Big Play.

I don't know enough about the ins and outs of the game to know why that seems to be the case. I sure would like to see a few ten-yard completions.

I think we see the same thing. Except that is Williams is a touch faster he doesn't get tripped and its at least 3 yards, maybe more.

But if he gets clear of the LOS and can square up, I think its more like 10.

Needs better execution. Which is the problem because the Packer offense hasn't been engaging in a lot of long, successful drives. Way too may half drives to FG range.

pbmax
10-05-2018, 08:05 PM
Cobb is out. Geronimo is a "hope" to clear concussion protocol. Gonna see 1 or 2 rookies out there wide. King is back.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DoxezILXsAYS7xs.jpg:large

pbmax
10-06-2018, 01:26 PM
Ben Fennell @BenFennell_NFL
3rd Down Completion % - #Packers Defense

2018 - 51.3% (3rd)
2017 - 64.8% (31st)

Mike Pettine... Cover Corners... Attacking Scheme...

pbmax
10-06-2018, 01:44 PM
Bills Game

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DocnmW3WwAENdwR.jpg:large

Rutnstrut
10-06-2018, 09:20 PM
This would be a great game for GB to run the fuck out of the ball. So stubby won't.

mraynrand
10-06-2018, 10:16 PM
This would be a great game for GB to run the fuck out of the ball. So stubby won't.

You should read the article in the other thread. Stubby deliberately ran the ball against Buffalo to get the line reps.

Fritz
10-07-2018, 06:50 AM
So Bashaud Breeland never plays a single down for the Packers, yet he is already injured.

Sheesh.

And now Whitehead might not play? Or Brice? How's Damarius Randall doing in Cleveland?

Joemailman
10-07-2018, 09:16 AM
Pretty good chance we won't be yelling GERONIMO!!! today.

StaceyDales

@StaceyDales
Packers WR Geronimo Allison did not practice Saturday, per source. That means he hasn’t practiced at all this week. Not only has he been working through concussion protocol, a hamstring injury was added late in the week. His status for today remains Questionable. #GBvsDET

6:07 AM - Oct 7, 2018 · Ford Field

pbmax
10-07-2018, 09:18 AM
Fritz Alert:

Dean Lowry Army has changed positions, to DI apparently. Thought you would want this update.

Bills Game

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DocnmW3WwAENdwR.jpg:large

Fritz
10-07-2018, 10:17 AM
Fritz Alert:

Dean Lowry Army has changed positions, to DI apparently. Thought you would want this update.

What is "DI"?

red
10-07-2018, 10:28 AM
What is "DI"?

defensive interior?

mraynrand
10-07-2018, 10:29 AM
Gotta love packers who get hammy pulls recovering from concussions.

pbmax
10-07-2018, 11:17 AM
Gotta love packers who get hammy pulls recovering from concussions.

Its all about acceleration. And sudden deceleration.