PDA

View Full Version : The Five Players you Need for Football Heaven

mraynrand
10-09-2018, 11:01 AM
On another thread, someone indicated the Browns and Packer have the same record but vastly different trajectories.

John Dorsey (now Cleveland GM, as if you didn't know) 'famously' is on record as saying that to be a successful team, you have to have the following five players, meaning, you pretty much need pro-bowl level talent at these positions (what follows is a comparison with the Packers):

Team Browns Packers
QB: Baker Mayfield (R) Aaron Rodgers (13)
Left Tackle: Desmond Harrison (Rfa) David Bakhtiari (5)
Pass Rusher Myles Garrett (2) none
Cornerback: Denzel Ward (R) Jaire Alexander (R)
Wide Receiver:Jarvis Landry (4) Davante Adams (4)

For the Browns you could argue that Calloway, their rookie might take over top spot from Landry; I anticipate Alexander being top corner over King, who probably has PTSD from all his trauma and over TWill, who is living on borrowed time playing every snap. Packers have a huge advantage at LT, while Browns have the distinct advantage at pass rusher, since the Packers don't have any outside threat. Packer have the advantage at QB of course, but that could change instantly given Rodgers' age, and his now consistently fragile body. Ward and Alexander are a wash, in my opinion, but I can see people valuing Ward higher. Alexander is a better cover guy (plastering), Ward rn has better instincts for the ball and game (already knows when to come off his guy and take risks for an INT). Packers are only old at QB, and pass rusher could be fixed with a good pick or a FA move. The Browns are young all over their roster, and their defense is actually very good. Because of the age of Rodgers, and assuming Mayfield continues his ascent, I have to agree about the trajectories of the teams. How steep the slide for the Pack depends on Rodgers' health until they can restock the roster after the twin disasters of the 2015 cornerback draft (Randall and Rollins) and the total collapse of the OLB position/outside pass rush, as well as the more mild decline of offensive weapons.

texaspackerbacker
10-09-2018, 11:11 AM
Baker Mayfield is NOT gonna go down in history as anything special. Save this and rub my nose in it if I'm wrong 5 or 10 years from now, but that's how I see it.

I really don't know much about Desmond Harrison, but Bakhtiari is overrated. He only stands out as even borderline good compared to the rest of our O Line.

mraynrand
10-09-2018, 11:41 AM
Baker Mayfield is NOT gonna go down in history as anything special. Save this and rub my nose in it if I'm wrong 5 or 10 years from now, but that's how I see it.

gladly

run pMc
10-09-2018, 05:11 PM
So need to be able to pass, and stop the pass?

What about smashmouth running and stopping the run? Wist is not gonna be happy about this...

Kidding aside, Mayfield isn't terrible, let's see where he is in 2020. Rodgers is better now.
Garrett is a beast.
I like Adams over Landry, but it's close.
Bahktiari is good IMO...he usually stuffs the other team's best pass rusher -- without help -- every game. He might not be top 5 elite, but he gets the job done, and if you think he's no good consider what that left side is like without him. It's a big dropoff to playing Spriggs at LT. I'd put Bahktiari in the top 10 starting LT's.

Ward and Alexander are kind of a wash at this point...I'd probably take Ward by a hair because of size and big-game pedigree.