PDA

View Full Version : Bench Him

pbmax
10-10-2018, 02:29 PM
If Dix wants to leverage his contract situation to his benefit, he should have sat out like Bell.

I lieu of that, bench him and start Jones. Put Brice deep. You won't get hurt on the inactive list.

He's gone all weak in the knees like JerMichael Finley over his contract situation.

https://madison.com/wsj/sports/football/professional/packers-ha-ha-clinton-dix-expects-to-play-elsewhere-next/article_077f0793-abe2-515b-acd3-7f2a26a53505.html

pbmax
10-10-2018, 02:34 PM
As a whole, the Packers enter the week ranked fourth in total defense (313.8 yards per game) and tied for 13th in scoring defense (22.8 points per game) after some inconsistent play the first five weeks.

This is also the profile of a defense that is behind a lot early. I bet they have faced a high number of runs compared the League average.

Well, no. 24.8 per game puts them tied for 19th with the Vikings. So not quite a tire fire.

Good, cause I went into this article thinking the D has a chance to take a serious step forward.

QBME
10-10-2018, 03:59 PM
try again

QBME
10-10-2018, 04:03 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yq1KeyEARBU

Here we go, I think...

pbmax
10-10-2018, 04:04 PM

Here we go, I think...

Tags need to say {video}{/video} for You Tube.

QBME
10-10-2018, 04:07 PM
Tags need to say {video}{/video} for You Tube.

Thank you. Reped.

Harlan Huckleby
10-10-2018, 04:16 PM
Seems to me Ha Ha is just being honest. Nothing he said is unprofessional or surprising. Well, surprising that he is said it, but his position is not a surprise.

run pMc
10-10-2018, 04:26 PM
Brice should be the #3 safety. Problem is, I'm not sure they have a #1 or #2 safety. Maybe Haha as a #2, he'll make some good plays and then do something boneheaded. Generally speaking, safeties gotta be steady, not vacate the middle of the field, and never let someone get behind them.

Josh Jones isn't the answer apparently...at least not without a smart guy like Charlie Peprah who can get him lined up. I kind of wonder if HaHa is the same way. If he thinks this is his last season in GB, Gutekunst and Pettine probably already figured that out. Even a non-scout like me can see the defense needs overhauling at OLB and S.

I will say the defense is better than last year, so there's that. Clark, Martinez, and the rookie CBs look like they could be pretty good.

red
10-10-2018, 06:43 PM
Hey, if he wants a new deal now, then offer him a deal based on the way his played the last 2 seasons, like piss

Give him a 3 or 4 year deal worth 3 or 4 million a year

But my guess is the team is ready to move on from him too. He really has been giving it a half assed attempt since he made he pro bowl somehow

Rutnstrut
10-10-2018, 08:29 PM
Trade his ass.

wthigoot
10-10-2018, 09:14 PM
Hasn't this been kind of a cyclical thing?

IIRC several years ago players in a contract year were always saying that they never keep anyone so I'm probably gone. Then they actually signed some guys to second contracts.

Recently they have been letting some of them go again (Hyde, Heyward, Lang, etc.).

Plus Gute has extra picks so maybe that is part of the assumption as well - although this year they will probably go more for LB and OL in the draft.

Rutnstrut
10-10-2018, 09:24 PM
Funny how he doesn't say, I haven't played up to expectations so they will probably let me go.

pbmax
10-11-2018, 07:58 AM
Funny how he doesn't say, I haven't played up to expectations so they will probably let me go.

He's not worried about expectations now, he is worried about staying healthy. Understandable, but at cross purposes with the team.

Once he didn't get a deal with the team last year, this was probably inevitable.

mraynrand
10-11-2018, 08:43 AM
Does anyone have his stats, particularly TRs (tackles refused)?

denverYooper
10-11-2018, 08:49 AM
He's not worried about expectations now, he is worried about staying healthy. Understandable, but at cross purposes with the team.

Once he didn't get a deal with the team last year, this was probably inevitable.

That plus the turnover in the secondary over the last couple of years -- Hyde, Hayward, Randall, Burnett.

Teamcheez1
10-11-2018, 11:12 AM
Ha Ha is getting paid just shy of $6M on his 5th year option. The big question for me is how much is he really worth as a safety? I don't think the Packers would even consider paying him a dime more unless his play picks up this year. Is he hedging his bets that they won't offer more than $3-5M for him to come back?

texaspackerbacker
10-11-2018, 11:59 AM
He's playing for a big contract. It's not really relevant if he thinks (probably correctly) that the Packers won't give him the money going forward that he thinks he deserves. He has either played better or lucked into being in the right place this year better than the last couple of years. Just take advantage of that, then lowball him in the off-season and let him get paid big by somebody else. That seems to be the Packer way, and I don't really have a problem with it.

Regarding Josh Jones, I remember people claiming Nick Collins was too dumb to play decent in his early years also, and he shaped up very well. Hopefully the same will happen with Jones. I wouldn't give up on him yet.

Anti-Polar Bear
10-11-2018, 12:05 PM
Yo, since my friends Nutz and Woody are MIA, lemme post for 'em:

Why the fuck didn't Gute draft Derwin James, S, Florida State? The rookie sensation is a-looking fine and dandy. Fast. Can blitz (currently has 3 sacks). Can cover. Loves gang bangs. The antithesis of Dix.

http://www.espn.com/blog/los-angeles-chargers/post/_/id/25000/chargers-derwin-james-showing-traits-of-an-elite-safety

(Speaking of safeties, I still despise Todd for taking Perry over hip-hop saftey Harrison Smith. :x )

gbgary
10-11-2018, 12:51 PM
gotta put the best 11 out there so he's got to play.

gbgary
10-11-2018, 12:56 PM
He's playing for a big contract.

he'd better get going then. he'll end up with a raise purely on the market but no one's going to get stupid based on his last 21 games.

Gotarace
10-11-2018, 01:10 PM
HaHa took the entire season off last year and is on pace to do it again. The guy is super gun shy for playing saftey in the NFL. He would rather avoid contact than disrupt a play. Looks like another year of the Packers burning high draft choices for secondary help while the rest of the team suffers.

pbmax
10-11-2018, 02:03 PM
That plus the turnover in the secondary over the last couple of years -- Hyde, Hayward, Randall, Burnett.

That is the hard part to swallow. Randall was crowing about his new defense today at cleveland.com somewhere.

Additionally, there is a chance that Pettine and Gutey want a different type of safety. Dix is not a speedster and doesn't always look natural deep. Brice is faster but less reliable. Both are better athletes than Jim Leonard, but it never looks clean or quick back there. I read something, that despite Leonard's reputation as a coach on the field, the safety's responsibility under Pettine/Ryan were not overly taxing.

Who knows.

But it sure looks like they want to move on. Dix was bad enough last year that I don't really question not giving him a longer term deal if he is not the ideal Pettine safety. This is one reason sticking with Capers and waiting for a down year to change the staff is a terrible idea. Just puts off tough decisions. Like a lost year.

I sympathize with Finley and Dix because I can put myself in the mind of someone trying to balance the here and now and versus staying healthy and viable for a future deal. You basically have to ignore one important aspect of your life to stay sane.

mraynrand
10-11-2018, 03:23 PM
Yeah, he's flapping his gums. Be he's probably right.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2018/10/damarious_randall_thinks_the_b.html#incart_river_i ndex

Cleveland has two legit pass rushers; Packers have none.

denverYooper
10-11-2018, 03:41 PM
Yeah, he's flapping his gums. Be he's probably right.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2018/10/damarious_randall_thinks_the_b.html#incart_river_i ndex

Cleveland has two legit pass rushers; Packers have none.

The Packers won't have any for a while if they keep having to pick new CBs and Safeties every year to replenish their defensive backfield.

pbmax
10-11-2018, 05:12 PM
The Packers won't have any for a while if they keep having to pick new CBs and Safeties every year to replenish their defensive backfield.

Another reason to go BPA and live with some limitations elsewhere. If they draft another 2 DBs in the first four rounds next year it will leave serious holes elsewhere on the D.

Especially when you can't get Josh Jones on the field.

bobblehead
10-12-2018, 05:34 PM
Another reason to go BPA and live with some limitations elsewhere. If they draft another 2 DBs in the first four rounds next year it will leave serious holes elsewhere on the D.

Especially when you can't get Josh Jones on the field.

Couldn't agree more. you never can be sure where need is going to suddenly pop up due to injury or other. You take TJ Watt instead of Kevin King and the next year maybe Josh Jackson slips to your pick in round 2. Hell, you take Derwin James and maybe Josh Jackson slips to your pick in round 2. But you always get the best talent you can cuz you never know.

red
10-12-2018, 05:47 PM
Couldn't agree more. you never can be sure where need is going to suddenly pop up due to injury or other. You take TJ Watt instead of Kevin King and the next year maybe Josh Jackson slips to your pick in round 2. Hell, you take Derwin James and maybe Josh Jackson slips to your pick in round 2. But you always get the best talent you can cuz you never know.

but then you might end up taking 3 rb's in 1 year when you have other needs, or 3 cb's in the first 2 rounds in back to back years, or 3 wr's in one draft when you have other pressing needs

so, a double edged sword

and last year with watt vs king. pass rush and cb were both huge needs. but since perry was drafted one has seemed to be neglected more then the other

pbmax
10-14-2018, 08:23 AM
but then you might end up taking 3 rb's in 1 year when you have other needs, or 3 cb's in the first 2 rounds in back to back years, or 3 wr's in one draft when you have other pressing needs

so, a double edged sword

It would be OK if it just happened once. But it keeps repeating for DBs.