PDA

View Full Version : How would you MNGA (Make the NFL Great Again)??

Fosco33
10-10-2018, 06:25 PM
1. Expand active rosters to 65 (no practice squad), ramp to 70 in last 4 weeks (think Baseball) and rethink IR as more like the DL...
2. More padded practices... teach people how to take a fricken hit
3. Eliminate 2 preseason games
4. Eliminate Thur football (except Turkey day)
5. Add another bye week - early or late bye weeks are bullshit
6. Revamp OT rules (like college) - no more ties
7. Use college targeting rules - toss the idiots for half the next game
8. Use college catch rules (imagine OBJ only needing one foot in bounds)
9. Add technology - ball placement, TD rushes, etc are very solvable
10. ‘Grade’ concussions, add tech to helmets to track dings BUT also take helmets back a generation

3irty1
10-10-2018, 07:19 PM
1. Offer streaming service direct to customers with all games, redzone, all-22's, etc.
2. Get accelerometers and telematics in every football helmet in America. Establish a database in conjunction with athletic associations at every level of football so a player's acceleration records are available for analytics at every point in their football career.
3. 100 million dollar anti-soccer advertising campaign.
4. Have NFL come out with line of essential oils for treating football injuries marketed at moms.
5. Replace the probowl with a televised game of Madden where the two best gamers in the world play each other using the pro bowl rosters.
6. Replace all walks and runs in support of breast cancer/MS/TB/Aids research to instead benefit a search for a cure to hamstring injuries.
7. Bring back the peeing troughs at Lambeau.
8. Initiate rule where all teams that play in domes must wear skirts
9. Revert all other game time rules to those of the year 1990.
10. Eliminate all drug testing and abolish banned substances list.

red
10-10-2018, 07:20 PM
great list, i like all of them

but add. bring the big hits back

these guys get paid a shit ton to beat the hell out of each other. allow them to do it

MadScientist
10-10-2018, 07:21 PM
Most of those are good, but I'd rather ties than the gimicky college OT rule. I think helmets need to go forward a generation, not back - change it so the outer layer is not a hard layer, but a cushioned, flexible layer, with a stiffer protection layer in the middle with foam/air fitting around the head. Possibly some other tricks to have the helmet take the impact but not transmit it to the head.

Harlan Huckleby
10-10-2018, 07:32 PM
1. Expand active rosters to 65 (no practice squad), ramp to 70 in last 4 weeks (think Baseball) and rethink IR as more like the DL...
10. ‘Grade’ concussions, add tech to helmets to track dings BUT also take helmets back a generation

I like most of your ideas. I would add that college has no challenges, manages to review every play without slowing game down a bit. The NFL challenge gamesmanship is boring and deeply stupid. Just get rid of it.

I think most of your suggestions are no-brainers and will eventually happen. But they are never going to bring hitting back to practices. And forget red's call to bring back the violent hitting - red is a blood thirsty savage who should be shunned by modern people. Maybe there is room for a new professional league that is more violent, but the NFL is too big time to fight the huge societal tide against brain injury.

Rutnstrut
10-10-2018, 09:14 PM
great list, i like all of them

but add. bring the big hits back

these guys get paid a shit ton to beat the hell out of each other. allow them to do it

Well if they are going to be allowed to juice as in 31's #10. Then you HAVE to allow the roid rage to flow.

wist43
10-10-2018, 09:51 PM
1. Bring back Chuck Cecil.
2. Get rid of drug testing.
3. Get rid of the dyke refs.
4. 1970's rules
5. Bring back Howard Cosell and Don Merideth
6. Play the National Anthem twice just to piss off Democrats.
7. Encourage cocaine and marijuana usage by players - hand out free joints to fans at the games.

wthigoot
10-10-2018, 09:59 PM

Two thumbs up for almost all of that list. Unsure - what does "take helmets back a generation" mean?

No game day inactives - if they're on the roster, they can play. Never understood that one.
Keep the cut down to 53 and allow waiver claims right after (for competitive balance), but then let the rosters get bigger, and as stated no practice squad. Like the idea of loosening the IR as well, come back anytime after 3 weeks.

It seems like the kickoff is being made more like a punt. Maybe it should be a punt.

All teams have a bye in either week 8 or 9. Or just have a single empty week where everyone has a bye.

Going to the college catch rule would even out for eliminating the force-out call. Like that idea.

I am OK with ties but I like the 15 minute overtime. There were hardly any ties when that was the rule.

Other ones:

More points for longer scoring plays.
More points for longer fields goals.
Drop some of the rules for formations and motion (but no need to go quite as far as the CFL).

Harlan Huckleby
10-10-2018, 10:06 PM
4. 1970's rules
7. Encourage cocaine and marijuana usage by players - hand out free joints to fans at the games.
I can meet you halfway on most of these. Maybe a halftime pledge of allegiance instead of two anthems - better pacing. And you need to ease up on the dykes, they're good people with a job to do. Maybe we can draw the line at lipstick lesbians.

pbmax
10-11-2018, 08:00 AM
4. 1970's rules

Chuck Cecil was a TERRIBLE safety and I am deducting 10% off all your other defensive football takes for this suggestion.

pbmax
10-11-2018, 08:01 AM
1. Stick'um
2. Tear away jerseys
3. All rules rest to BEFORE Bert Emanuel's catch was ruled to have touched the ground. All rule replaced problems stem from this fine tuning.

Cheesehead Craig
10-11-2018, 08:24 AM
1. TDs greater than 50 yards count for 8 points.
2. Lower ticket prices by 50%, Make Football Affordable Again.
3. Officially name the Packers "America's Team".
4. Blow up Jerry-World. With him in it.
5. If a stadium doesn't have enough room around it for at least 50% of the fans to tailgate, start demolishing buildings to make it so. Yes, tailgating is that essential to the gameday experience.
6. Fire Goddell, figure out how to clone Pete Rozelle as a 30 yr old man and give him a contract for life. Then keep cloning him. Lather, rinse, repeat.
7. Get rid of all the fakey patriotism bullshit. Stop taking money from the armed forces and have them spend it on their troops.
8. Stop showing advertisers logos on TV when the cameras are on the cheerleaders.
9. While we're at it, stop showing spouses or families of players and whatever celebrity is in attendance.

mraynrand
10-11-2018, 09:54 AM
6. Fire Goddell, figure out how to clone Pete Rozelle as a 30 yr old man and give him a contract for life. Then keep cloning him. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Fire up the axlotl tanks!

texaspackerbacker
10-11-2018, 01:10 PM
The NFL is still pretty great right now. For a fairly reasonable amount, people all over the country can see their team. Contrast to the NBA or MLB where you're lucky to see 10% of Wisconsin teams' games if you are out of the local market.

All the shit about concussions detracts from it - for the money these guys make, they should have the risk of scrambled brains - or if not, they can go all Chris Borland and pass up the big money. I would say ditto that for stupid safety shit in general except that would jeopardize the one and only player keeping the Packers at or near the top. Do whatever technology-wise, but don't legislate wimp rules regarding hits (unless it's Aaron Rodgers getting hit hahahaha).

Lower ticket prices are a matter of supply and demand - it would be unAmerican to force them lower. If they're too high, people will stop buying them - but of course, that ain't happening.

Cutting out at least two preseason games is a good idea. Increasing rosters a little bit - not up to 65 - wouldn't hurt also; Let teams have a "relief kicker" on hand if needed hahahaha. I'd rather see college fb adopt the pro pass catch rule on the sideline instead of vice versa. I don't see any benefit in ending Thursday night games or in having an extra bye week.

They whine about ties, yet they cut it down (stupidly IMO) from 15 to 10 minute OT periods. Go back to 15. I have a radical idea that will never happen, but I'll throw it out there: don't let a field goal win. If a team kicks a FG in OT, give them a 1st and ten and play on. If they miss, the other team gets the ball like now. First TD wins. No win on a Safety also, but the other team gets the ball at the previous line of scrimmage, even if it's the 1 yard line.

pbmax
10-11-2018, 01:38 PM
Fire up the axlotl tanks!

I was just listening to this in the car this year.

Fosco33
10-11-2018, 07:01 PM
From ratings to youth participation - the NFL does have a problem brewing - mostly due to injuries and stupid rule changes.

By expanding rosters and eliminating pointless games (Thur games are awful to watch) - gives players time to rest/recover.

My point about helmets... go to Lambeau HOF and look at Lacy’s game used helmet. Dents all over that fucker. Taking helmets ‘back’ to me means smaller/higher tech but something to discourage people from feeling invincible.

mraynrand
10-11-2018, 07:07 PM
From ratings to youth participation - the NFL does have a problem brewing - mostly due to injuries and stupid rule changes.

By expanding rosters and eliminating pointless games (Thur games are awful to watch) - gives players time to rest/recover.

My point about helmets... go to Lambeau HOF and look at Lacy’s game used helmet. Dents all over that fucker. Taking helmets ‘back’ to me means smaller/higher tech but something to discourage people from feeling invincible.

Coaches taught using the helmet to force fumbles. They're gonna have to teach 'see what you tackle' again. The suggestion for metrics on helmets and collisions is a great idea. The NFL needs to invest heavily in helmet tech/funding, and make sure that it is implemented at the youngest of youth football, so parents aren't afraid of having their kids play football.

Anti-Polar Bear
10-12-2018, 02:56 AM
1. Allow players to kneel during the goddamn anthem.

2. Bring back Kap!

3. Deem the stiff arm fend illegal. That shit’s gonna break someone’s neck if the NFL don’t ban it.

4. Annihilate the name “Redskins.”

5. Make the “Redskins” all-white again.

Harlan Huckleby
10-12-2018, 05:20 AM
I think the great phantom NFL problem is too many preseason games. They have to have training camp to do some contact work, evaluate, prepare. What possible downside is there to playing four practice games with other teams during this period? It's not like they can just cut training camp and all will be fine.

Anybody who complains about the quality of preseason games is dumber than a box of rocks. This is like the neighbor with binoculars who calls the police to complain about nudity visible through windows in the house down the street.

Fosco33
10-12-2018, 06:48 AM
I think the great phantom NFL problem is too many preseason games. They have to have training camp to do some contact work, evaluate, prepare. What possible downside is there to playing four practice games with other teams during this period? It's not like they can just cut training camp and all will be fine.

Anybody who complains about the quality of preseason games is dumber than a box of rocks. This is like the neighbor with binoculars who calls the police to complain about nudity visible through windows in the house down the street.

Consider - the NBA preseason is about 8 games (8% of 82+8) and spring training ranges from 25-30 (about 15%).

IF you have an expanded roster (point #1) and it takes you 20% (4 of 16+4) to get to game mode... then organize a few inter squad scrimmages. Been done many times.

3irty1
10-12-2018, 07:38 AM
The suggestion for metrics on helmets and collisions is a great idea. The NFL needs to invest heavily in helmet tech/funding, and make sure that it is implemented at the youngest of youth football, so parents aren't afraid of having their kids play football.

The NFL needs some long term safety theater to win over parents. Acceleration data is both good optics for parents and needed to make models of how the game results in the accumulation of Tau protein. They say now it's high volumes of sub-concussive head trauma that are the real problem. Considering no real symptoms occur until your 30's, something predictive is needed. I can imagine a future where the computer model benches players in real time to disrupt high risk patterns.

The secret benefit of having acceleration data is that it would also revolutionize scouting. From this you could directly measure speed, explosiveness, and change-of-direction skills in game conditions of every man with a helmet. An algorithm alone can make a list of all the great size/speed prospects out there.

If I were an NFL exec though, a football specific line of essential oils is the real no-brainer. Single moms are the gatekeepers of football talent. No need to reinvent the wheel to give them blind faith in a remedy.

texaspackerbacker
10-12-2018, 08:38 AM
The NFL needs some long term safety theater to win over parents. Acceleration data is both good optics for parents and needed to make models of how the game results in the accumulation of Tau protein. They say now it's high volumes of sub-concussive head trauma that are the real problem. Considering no real symptoms occur until your 30's, something predictive is needed. I can imagine a future where the computer model benches players in real time to disrupt high risk patterns.

The secret benefit of having acceleration data is that it would also revolutionize scouting. From this you could directly measure speed, explosiveness, and change-of-direction skills in game conditions of every man with a helmet. An algorithm alone can make a list of all the great size/speed prospects out there.

If I were an NFL exec though, a football specific line of essential oils is the real no-brainer. Single moms are the gatekeepers of football talent. No need to reinvent the wheel to give them blind faith in a remedy.

What a crock of shit!

How many players have actually been brain damaged? A few dozen maybe in over a hundred years of high school, college, and pro foootball? And how many of them have drug use records that could just as easily account for messed up brains? Parents are propagandized enough right now to buy into this silly shit, and you want more of it? Sheeeesh!

These guys are paid EXTREMELY WELL for the fairly minimal risk of scrambling their brain. And nobody is forcing them to take that HUGE MONEY. They can always be like Chris Borland and decide to pass it up.

The bullshit whiny attitude about this is far more of a problem than head injuries themselves.

mraynrand
10-12-2018, 08:50 AM
What a crock of shit! ...
The bullshit whiny attitude about this is far more of a problem than head injuries themselves.

That's why you have to do some PR theater. You're fighting the perception that football is a brain killer.

Fosco33
10-12-2018, 09:13 AM
What a crock of shit!

How many players have actually been brain damaged? A few dozen maybe in over a hundred years of high school, college, and pro foootball? And how many of them have drug use records that could just as easily account for messed up brains? Parents are propagandized enough right now to buy into this silly shit, and you want more of it? Sheeeesh!

These guys are paid EXTREMELY WELL for the fairly minimal risk of scrambling their brain. And nobody is forcing them to take that HUGE MONEY. They can always be like Chris Borland and decide to pass it up.

Our lack of understanding on the most complex organ in our body... and you jump to it’s not an issue?

I totally agree - people are well paid for their injuries. Compare it to farmers or oil rig workers.

But saying it’s related to drugs or something makes the above point sounds less intelligent. It’s like smoking cigarettes doesn’t cause cancer... it’s fricken obvious. If you said - it certainly causes cancer but let your kids smoke cigarettes but the chance of them becoming a famous actor is infinitesimal- then you see it as a parent.

Look at the number of high school kids that have died playing HS football this year from TBI. I’d be interested if that happens at same rate for golf or tennis or swimming or soccer or whatever...

The rate of direct fatalities was 0.095 per 100,000 players, and the rate of indirect fatalities was 0.21 per 100,000 players. https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/65/wr/mm6552a2.htm?s_cid=mm6552a2_w

Cleft Crusty
10-12-2018, 09:23 AM
Good post Fosco, but there are two issues a bit conflated there in your post: traumatic brain injury resulting in death or paralysis and repeated trauma/concussions resulting in long term brain syndromes.

I too would be interested in the number of deaths in the other sports, and assume it's lower. But these events are extremely rare, especially when compared to death from drunk/drugged/distracted driving of high school and college students.

During 2005–2014, a total of 28 deaths (2.8 deaths per year) from traumatic brain and spinal cord injuries occurred among high school (24 deaths) and college football players (four deaths) combined. Most deaths occurred during competitions and resulted from tackling or being tackled. All four of the college deaths and 14 (58%) of the 24 high school deaths occurred during the last 5 years (2010–2014) of the 10-year study period. These findings support the need for continued surveillance and safety efforts (particularly during competition) to ensure proper tackling techniques, emergency planning for severe injuries, availability of medical care onsite during competitions, and assessment that it is safe to return to play following a concussion.

Fosco33
10-12-2018, 09:27 AM
Good post Fosco, but there are two issues a bit conflated there in your post: traumatic brain injury resulting in death or paralysis and repeated trauma/concussions resulting in long term brain syndromes.

I too would be interested in the number of deaths in the other sports, and assume it's lower. But these events are extremely rare, especially when compared to death from drunk/drugged/distracted driving of high school and college students.

I was being obtuse on purpose.

If you’re interested - look up risks of concussions by gender. Girls are far more likely to be concussed - in basketball, etc.

My whole

Anti-Polar Bear
10-12-2018, 12:47 PM

To quote Tex, "What a crock of shit!"

Look, as a Homo Sapiensist, I'm all for making futbol safer through extreme technological advancements. But make no mistake: Futbol, with or without high tech gadgets, is not sinking into the abyss of oblivion anytime soon.

Males, from Boyz II Men, will continue to play futbol for the same reason women continue to sell their bodies, and to a lesser extent, I continue to flip burgers for the minimum-wage:

Capitalism. Abominable capitalism.

3irty1
10-12-2018, 01:29 PM
To quote Tex, "What a crock of shit!"

Look, as a Homo Sapiensist, I'm all for making futbol safer through extreme technological advancements. But make no mistake: Futbol, with or without high tech gadgets, is not sinking into the abyss of oblivion anytime soon.

Males, from Boyz II Men, will continue to play futbol for the same reason women continue to sell their bodies, and to a lesser extent, I continue to flip burgers for the minimum-wage:

Capitalism. Abominable capitalism.

He typed in a football fan forum as the cognitive dissonance finally severed his corpus callosum.

Harlan Huckleby
10-12-2018, 01:30 PM
Consider - the NBA preseason is about 8 games (8% of 82+8) and spring training ranges from 25-30 (about 15%).

IF you have an expanded roster (point #1) and it takes you 20% (4 of 16+4) to get to game mode... then organize a few inter squad scrimmages. Been done many times.

I don't see how the the number of preseason games as a percentage of regular season games matters.
I also don't see why any fan cares whether they play 4 or 10 preseason games during their training camp period. What exactly is the harm or burden? Games against real opponents give you a bit more information than intersquad scrimmages. If the team wants to have three practice games per week during training camp, I say good. Of course the starters won't play much, but it is excellent development work for about 40 players on the preseason roster.

I think what has happened is the NFL has charged full price for preseason games, the fans feel like they have to watch because they are built up to be sort of a thing. Then they get disappointed when the games suck. But that is a problem with the fan attitude, and says nothing about the value of preseason games to the team.

I say go back to six preseason games. We can learn more about the backup QBs, and get the teams better prepared. It can be done in about the same time period as the current training camp.

If the problem is that training camp is too long (again, why would fans care?) then get rid of the endless spring training camps. Why not let players get away from the grind of football for 5 months? They'll be fresher mentally.

3irty1
10-12-2018, 01:37 PM
Parents are propagandized enough right now to buy into this silly shit, and you want more of it? Sheeeesh!

This was your take away from what I wrote huh?

texaspackerbacker
10-12-2018, 01:49 PM
"The NFL needs some long term safety theater to win over parents." This was the first line of your crock of shit. Are you now somehow backing off?

texaspackerbacker
10-12-2018, 01:54 PM
That's why you have to do some PR theater. You're fighting the perception that football is a brain killer.

Uh ...... "safety theater"? Tell me that doesn't sound like some stupid "we feel your pain" shit - giving credence to the puffed up overrated problem. If they want to have some kind of blurb about advances in technology or whatever, fine, tell people about that, but DON'T give the scumbags trying to wimpify and destroy the game any help or credibility.

pbmax
10-12-2018, 02:00 PM
Coaches taught using the helmet to force fumbles. They're gonna have to teach 'see what you tackle' again. The suggestion for metrics on helmets and collisions is a great idea. The NFL needs to invest heavily in helmet tech/funding, and make sure that it is implemented at the youngest of youth football, so parents aren't afraid of having their kids play football.

Bravo! Old school football doesn't mean the 1983 Steelers.

texaspackerbacker
10-12-2018, 02:05 PM
Our lack of understanding on the most complex organ in our body... and you jump to it’s not an issue?

I totally agree - people are well paid for their injuries. Compare it to farmers or oil rig workers.

But saying it’s related to drugs or something makes the above point sounds less intelligent. It’s like smoking cigarettes doesn’t cause cancer... it’s fricken obvious. If you said - it certainly causes cancer but let your kids smoke cigarettes but the chance of them becoming a famous actor is infinitesimal- then you see it as a parent.

Look at the number of high school kids that have died playing HS football this year from TBI. I’d be interested if that happens at same rate for golf or tennis or swimming or soccer or whatever...

The rate of direct fatalities was 0.095 per 100,000 players, and the rate of indirect fatalities was 0.21 per 100,000 players. https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/65/wr/mm6552a2.htm?s_cid=mm6552a2_w

Taking your numbers at face value, that's just under 1 in a million direct fatalities and about 2 in a million "indirect" - whatever indirect even means.

As for the drug related thing, I'm thinking of the well known background of Jim McMahon as well as possibly Alzado and whatshisname, the linebacker from the Chargers who offed himself.

What's ridiculous is you comparing this to the idea of smoking causing lung cancer.

And the bottom line remains, nobody is forcing them to accept those multiple millions for playing a fun game if they buy into the crap about the risks. Don't you true believers in the garbage think there would be a lot more Chris Borlands if the people closest to this really thought there was anything to worry about?

pbmax
10-12-2018, 02:16 PM
What a crock of shit!

Fifty years of people deciding not to let their kids play football, or finding better opportunities in baseball or basketball, can only lead to one inescapable conclusion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDT_IBk7hAA

pbmax
10-12-2018, 02:23 PM
Anyone have numbers on youth enrollment in football over the long term? Everything in Google is about recent drops and anecdotally attributing it to fears of CTE.

I remember as a former youth a significant number of non-participatory youths because of parental concerns about head injuries or physical violence in general.

If you had asked me before Mike Webster and Bennett Omalu, I would have predicted football had declining rates of participation for decades, but its possible some of that was just the end is always near set.

Harlan Huckleby
10-12-2018, 03:33 PM
Football kinda sucks as a participatory sport because the handful of really good players are having most of the fun. In soccer or basketball or baseball, everybody gets chance to score points, show off their skills, even if their skills are relatively mediocre.

Football is divided into a lot of pretty specialized positions. It seems like linebackers and safeties who have decent speed are having a blast on defense. It is fun to tackle.

Look at sports kids play for fun in a public park. Football is pretty rare - and even then, everybody gets to be an imaginary star and touch the ball. Organized football is kinda like a job for a good portion of the kids.

3irty1
10-12-2018, 03:39 PM
"The NFL needs some long term safety theater to win over parents." This was the first line of your crock of shit. Are you now somehow backing off?

No I'm not. Try again with reading comprehension instead of reading comprehension theater.

3irty1
10-12-2018, 03:50 PM
Uh ...... "safety theater"? Tell me that doesn't sound like some stupid "we feel your pain" shit - giving credence to the puffed up overrated problem. If they want to have some kind of blurb about advances in technology or whatever, fine, tell people about that, but DON'T give the scumbags trying to wimpify and destroy the game any help or credibility.

Safety theater refers to a waist-high fence, the foil thing you peel off a new bottle of Tylenol, or or any other measure that is more about making people feel safe than it is about making people actually safe. It's profoundly stupid to gaslight the public and just ignore or deny CTE.

mraynrand
10-12-2018, 04:20 PM
Safety theater refers to a waist-high fence, the foil thing you peel off a new bottle of Tylenol, or or any other measure that is more about making people feel safe than it is about making people actually safe. It's profoundly stupid to gaslight the public and just ignore or deny CTE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEB7WbTTlu4

mraynrand
10-12-2018, 04:22 PM
Look at sports kids play for fun in a public park.

Whut, kids don't play in parks anymore, unless it's organized by their parents or legal guardians.

mraynrand
10-12-2018, 04:31 PM

Are these external or internal essential oils? If external, this kinda creeps me out. If internal, I can suggest a special concoction of PUFAs, bio-engineered carbohydrates and other lipids that will not only heal your brain, but may extend your lifespan by about 30%. The only downside: you will always feel hungry. Not FDA approved.

red
10-12-2018, 05:42 PM
Whut, kids don't play in parks anymore, unless it's organized by their parents or legal guardians.

true story, about a year or 2 ago, i'm working on a place. the lady across the street finds a kid walking in front of her place with no parent. the lady blew up about 50 phones yelling at people about how she couldn't believe someone would just forget about their kid like that. she even called the police. 3 or 4 cop cars show up for the "lost child"

turns out the kid lived next door to where i was, right across the street from the lady. she had sent her child outside to play while she did the laundry

and the kid was probably 6 or 7

when i was the kids age i was wandering all around the neighborhood, as i'm sure most kids from years ago were allowed to do. its just gotten insane how crazy people have gotten these days

channtheman
10-12-2018, 06:22 PM
Delete all flags. I can't even get excited during a big play anymore since you have to wait and make sure the ref didn't throw a flag, not to mention almost every moderately successful running play is ruined by a holding call. The refs would still run the game, and if guys got out of hand they could eject players and coaches. The threat of this would keep guys from being too egregious with holding and PI since if you tackle a WR to avoid the big play, you know Howard Green is coming from the grave to pancake you after the play.

sharpe1027
10-13-2018, 08:09 AM
Remove all money from the sport. Play for fun and of your own decision.

For those saying they get paid a lot so the risk is fine, the fact that we pay players to participate is a big part of the problem in the first place.

IMO, it's matter of degree. Few people would find cage fights to the death okay just because the winner was well compensated by the viewers. At some point, paying people to do something that we know harms them is morally wrong. Is CTE that point for football? You need to answer that for yourself, but payment doesn't make the issue go away. It just makes the viewer more responsible.

pbmax
10-14-2018, 08:30 AM
true story, about a year or 2 ago, i'm working on a place. the lady across the street finds a kid walking in front of her place with no parent. the lady blew up about 50 phones yelling at people about how she couldn't believe someone would just forget about their kid like that. she even called the police. 3 or 4 cop cars show up for the "lost child"

turns out the kid lived next door to where i was, right across the street from the lady. she had sent her child outside to play while she did the laundry

and the kid was probably 6 or 7

when i was the kids age i was wandering all around the neighborhood, as i'm sure most kids from years ago were allowed to do. its just gotten insane how crazy people have gotten these days

That lady lives in every neighborhood. I only get worried when no one is walking around because that means there is a party I wasn't invited to.

pbmax
10-14-2018, 08:40 AM

Hold the phone.

A waist high fence keeps the backyard football or soccer game out of your yard (both a terrible position and a person who should be shunned) and keeps the dog in your yard. I don't agree with the former but fully appreciate the latter.

The foil lets you know if its been opened or punctured. It can also alert you to counterfeits. So what is the foil failing to do on the Tylenol bottle?

3irty1
10-15-2018, 11:23 AM
Hold the phone.

A waist high fence keeps the backyard football or soccer game out of your yard (both a terrible position and a person who should be shunned) and keeps the dog in your yard. I don't agree with the former but fully appreciate the latter.

The foil lets you know if its been opened or punctured. It can also alert you to counterfeits. So what is the foil failing to do on the Tylenol bottle?

Any dog that is deterred by a waist-high fence is no safety concern at all. I'm not saying a waist high fence is never useful, I'm saying it's not useful for a safety application.

I thought of Tylenol because it is a historical example. The foil seal was an effort to regain consumer confidence in the product after the 1980's Tylenol murders in Chicago. The foil seal is a trivial obstacle for someone committed to intentionally buying, poisoning, and replacing a bottle of pills back on the shelf. That recall and subsequent packaging changes are a classic case study.

Alternative examples would be velvet ropes, most of what TSA does, and buildings protected by "no weapons allowed" stickers.

pbmax
10-15-2018, 11:53 AM
Any dog that is deterred by a waist-high fence is no safety concern at all. I'm not saying a waist high fence is never useful, I'm saying it's not useful for a safety application.

I thought of Tylenol because it is a historical example. The foil seal was an effort to regain consumer confidence in the product after the 1980's Tylenol murders in Chicago. The foil seal is a trivial obstacle for someone committed to intentionally buying, poisoning, and replacing a bottle of pills back on the shelf. That recall and subsequent packaging changes are a classic case study.

Alternative examples would be velvet ropes, most of what TSA does, and buildings protected by "no weapons allowed" stickers.

Velvet ropes I get, because they are only acknowledged by people who want to follow the rules. No weapons allowed stickers are lawsuit inoculations.

But a dog deterred by a waist high fence is in less danger of running into the road, also of taking a chunk out of an over friendly (or perhaps not so friendly) neighbor kid when the owners are not present.

The foil seal is a hurdle to half ass attempts to tamper or re-sell a product.

Could someone (or somedog) defeat these measures? Sure. But they are there to inhibit a known event and to discourage copy cats (or dogs).

I am not sure I buy that people think these measures are unbeatable. You have a link to the Tylenol thing? I seem to remember reading about it, but have forgotten it.

pbmax
10-15-2018, 11:58 AM
Speaking of things no one should take at face value, here is my second favorite sub-genre, economic impact estimations!

NFL345 @NFL345
2018 NFL DRAFT GENERATES RECORD $125.2 MILLION IN ECONOMIC IMPACT FOR DALLAS REGION: https://tinyurl.com/y9hsawyq

I suspect the money paid to the people who Tweet this probably counts in this calculation.

Twice.

mraynrand
10-15-2018, 01:42 PM
Speaking of things no one should take at face value, here is my second favorite sub-genre, economic impact estimations!

NFL345 @NFL345
2018 NFL DRAFT GENERATES RECORD $125.2 MILLION IN ECONOMIC IMPACT FOR DALLAS REGION: https://tinyurl.com/y9hsawyq

I suspect the money paid to the people who Tweet this probably counts in this calculation.

Twice.

Johnny Manzier had an economic impact on downtown Cleveland liquor stores

pbmax
10-15-2018, 02:05 PM
Johnny Manzier had an economic impact on downtown Cleveland liquor stores

I buy the highly localized effects. Ozzie Newsome once sold a Ford to my family.

Fosco33
12-20-2018, 06:32 PM
See the article on expanded rosters...

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25581612

Deputy Nutz
12-21-2018, 10:53 AM
Get rid of Automatic First Down Penalties. Assess the yardage from the penalty and replay the down. If the penalty nets the required yardage for a first down, the team is then awarded the first down. Eliminate spot of the foul penalty on pass interference. 10 yard penalty at the most, replay the down. Eliminate all the reccent addition of penalties on hitting or tackling the quarterback. Protect the QB like any other player on the field. If teams want to protect the QB they will increase the % of runs, and keep more blockers in to protect in pass pro.

Speaking for myself, changing rules have watered the game down and has taken away most of the interest week to week. I used to enjoy tackling subject matter here on Packerrats and debating with posters on here, but I simply struggle to maintain interest in the NFL game anymore. I still enjoy the draft, but that's about it.

texaspackerbacker
12-21-2018, 11:27 AM
Regarding the spot of the foul thing, college has just a 15 yard penalty. That makes two bad (IMO) things happen: players are more apt to interfere knowing the 15 yards may save a TD or much longer gain, and officials are quicker to call penalties knowing it has less impact on the game.

Rutnstrut
12-22-2018, 10:01 PM
How about consistency with what gets called?

Guiness
12-22-2018, 11:47 PM
You have a link to the Tylenol thing? I seem to remember reading about it, but have forgotten it.

You seriously forget the Tylenol thing old man? It wasn't far down the road in Chicago.

Half a dozen poisonings by substituting cyanide capsules for extra-strength Tylenol. No one was ever arrested.

At the time pill bottles were not sealed, so making the swap was easy as pie. Theory is the perpetrator just bought a few bottles, brought them home to swap the pills. He them went back to the store and put them back on the shelf. The case was the genesis of tamper-proof seals for over-the-counter medication.

pbmax
12-23-2018, 11:23 AM
You seriously forget the Tylenol thing old man? It wasn't far down the road in Chicago.

Half a dozen poisonings by substituting cyanide capsules for extra-strength Tylenol. No one was ever arrested.

At the time pill bottles were not sealed, so making the swap was easy as pie. Theory is the perpetrator just bought a few bottles, brought them home to swap the pills. He them went back to the store and put them back on the shelf. The case was the genesis of tamper-proof seals for over-the-counter medication.

I remember the events.

Was asking 3itry1 if the "classic case study" of foil over the lids being mostly reassurance was actually a matter of serious study, and if so, if he had any material to read on it.

It's obvious that no cheap fix will prevent people intent on tampering. It just helps deter some obvious methods and copy cats.