PDA

View Full Version : "Have the Green Bay Packers wasted Aaron Rodgers' best years?"

red
10-12-2018, 09:37 PM
https://sports.yahoo.com/green-bay-packers-wasted-aaron-083025453.html

discuss

i say yes....

and 25 years of favre and rodgers and only 2 super bowls is pathetic imo. 25 years, almost half the years of the super bowl era we've had 2 of the best QB's of all time, and just 2 wins

not good enough

i will say that the article is wrong on one count. both QB's have had some pretty nice weapons over the years. maybe not enough of them at the same time, but there were some nice ones (sharpe, brooks, freeman, driver, jennings, jordy, adams), those are top tier wr's

wist43
10-12-2018, 09:45 PM
Yes, and unfortunately things have gone exactly the way I said they would if TT didn't alter his approach.

I'm encouraged by Gute... but not convinced by any stretch of the imagination. The Burks pick is a big red flag.

texaspackerbacker
10-12-2018, 09:51 PM
yes and no. I've said maybe more than anybody else that Ted Thompson was delinquent in putting together a supporting cast to Aaron Rodgers. So in terms of maximizing things including Super Bowls, yeah, Rodgers' best years maybe have been wasted. For me, though, I'm thankful to have a team that has a good winning record every year. I know a lot of people might disagree, but I put more value on that than on going up and down like a roller coaster - like the Giants for example - with Super Bowls and a lot of shitty years mixed in.

Tony Oday
10-12-2018, 09:53 PM
Bostic and CMIII owe AR two rings.

mraynrand
10-12-2018, 11:26 PM
It's a tough argument. How many Superbowls should they have? Wasted? Whose fault is it they lost to the Giants in 2011? Whose fault is it they always draft at the end of the first round? Whose fault is it they lose Collins? Arguably no other team except the Patsies have done better since Rodgers came on as a starter. The Giants who beat them in 2011, defeated who many thought was the best team in the history of the NFL. Packers have been consistently good with Rodgers. I suppose if all you care about are championships, then they 'wasted' him. There are a lot of great QBs who one exactly zero or one championship. Marino, Steve Young, Drew Brees, etc... I guess you can lament the lack of championships, but if you like winning football virtually all the time, this franchise has been astonishingly great for almost thirty years straight.

bobblehead
10-13-2018, 12:27 AM
I remember seeing Phillip Rivers in a preseason game against the packers back when. I though "fuck, thats what a QB looks like, not this Rodgers fella who seems a step behind the game".

No one makes a hot read like Rivers. He is a first ballot hall of famer. The Chargers wasted his career.

Drew Brees is a first ballot Hall of famer. The saints haven't been as successful as the Packers. The saints wasted his career.

Peyton Manning....Nuff said.

Pugger
10-13-2018, 12:06 PM
It's a tough argument. How many Superbowls should they have? Wasted? Whose fault is it they lost to the Giants in 2011? Whose fault is it they always draft at the end of the first round? Whose fault is it they lose Collins? Arguably no other team except the Patsies have done better since Rodgers came on as a starter. The Giants who beat them in 2011, defeated who many thought was the best team in the history of the NFL. Packers have been consistently good with Rodgers. I suppose if all you care about are championships, then they 'wasted' him. There are a lot of great QBs who one exactly zero or one championship. Marino, Steve Young, Drew Brees, etc... I guess you can lament the lack of championships, but if you like winning football virtually all the time, this franchise has been astonishingly great for almost thirty years straight.

this

Bretsky
10-13-2018, 12:10 PM
I remember seeing Phillip Rivers in a preseason game against the packers back when. I though "fuck, thats what a QB looks like, not this Rodgers fella who seems a step behind the game".

No one makes a hot read like Rivers. He is a first ballot hall of famer. The Chargers wasted his career.

Drew Brees is a first ballot Hall of famer. The saints haven't been as successful as the Packers. The saints wasted his career.

Rivers has never had the smarts of Rodgers (throws too many picks) and to be honest he doesn't have the talent Rodgers has either. Mobility wise...arm strength ?........He may be a first ballot HOF'er cause he's a huge stat accumulator but nobody has ever tried to argue he's in the same elite category of Rodgers and Tom Brady

Speaking of Tom Brady...……….the other elite QB …………

Brees isn't nearly as talented either; his GM's have brutally failed to get him the defensive squad needed to win multiple Super Bowls. He's normally surrounded by tons of talent on offense but if his GM's only get him one Super Bowl you could easily make the same argument.

Payton Manning; did his teams even play defense until he got to Denver ? Coaches or GMs fault....no idea here.

IT'S a very fair question

IF AROD ends up with one Super Bowl title.....EPIC FAILURE to surround him with talent

texaspackerbacker
10-13-2018, 12:11 PM

Yes but ....... arguably, all those guys had better personnel around them than Rodgers. It's just that Aaron Rodgers is head and shoulders better than those other probable Hall of Famers, and that's why the Packers have had such a long run of greatness - even without enough Super Bowls.

gbgary
10-13-2018, 02:04 PM
i say yes too. gutless and cheap in hindsight.

mraynrand
10-13-2018, 08:29 PM
IF AROD ends up with one Super Bowl title.....EPIC FAILURE to surround him with talent

Well, they already had an epic failure in 2014. 2011 was somewhat understandable given the opponent (Giants), but that was a failure too. So I agree, if only because they blew those two opportunities. But they had bad luck. That's the way it goes most of the time, even with great players, and why you enjoy the hell out of any titles you can get.

Rutnstrut
10-13-2018, 11:02 PM
You can't argue that AR is the best, AND claim GB hasn't wasted his talent. If he's not the best. Then his accomplishments on the field are fine. IF he is the best, the Packers have seriously screwed the pooch.

mraynrand
10-14-2018, 07:37 AM
You can't argue that AR is the best, AND claim GB hasn't wasted his talent. If he's not the best. Then his accomplishments on the field are fine. IF he is the best, the Packers have seriously screwed the pooch.

You could argue that he is the best, they've surrounded him with crap, have used him to his absolute maximum value, dragging the rest of the pathetic squad of losers to win after win after win, and therefore have not wasted him at all.

texaspackerbacker
10-14-2018, 08:54 AM
You could argue that he is the best, they've surrounded him with crap, have used him to his absolute maximum value, dragging the rest of the pathetic squad of losers to win after win after win, and therefore have not wasted him at all.

You summarized my point of view perfectly.

pbmax
10-14-2018, 09:15 AM
Unbelievable.

bobblehead
10-14-2018, 10:12 AM
Rivers has never had the smarts of Rodgers (throws too many picks) and to be honest he doesn't have the talent Rodgers has either. Mobility wise...arm strength ?........He may be a first ballot HOF'er cause he's a huge stat accumulator but nobody has ever tried to argue he's in the same elite category of Rodgers and Tom Brady

Speaking of Tom Brady...……….the other elite QB …………

Brees isn't nearly as talented either; his GM's have brutally failed to get him the defensive squad needed to win multiple Super Bowls. He's normally surrounded by tons of talent on offense but if his GM's only get him one Super Bowl you could easily make the same argument.

Payton Manning; did his teams even play defense until he got to Denver ? Coaches or GMs fault....no idea here.

IT'S a very fair question

Rivers is arguably the SMARTEST QB in the game. He throws picks because he is playing catchup way too often. I would say Mobility Rodgers, Arm Strength push, Smarts Rivers. Nobody argues his greatness because he is on the chargers...they wasted him.

Brees isn't nearly as talented? He soon will have the most yards of all time. He is smart enough to throw to his RB when it makes sense. Brees has FIVE 5000 yard seasons. Same number of superbowls, similar playoff record....they wasted him.

bobblehead
10-14-2018, 10:14 AM
Yes but ....... arguably, all those guys had better personnel around them than Rodgers. It's just that Aaron Rodgers is head and shoulders better than those other probable Hall of Famers, and that's why the Packers have had such a long run of greatness - even without enough Super Bowls.

Its also arguable that Deshone Kizer is better than Rodgers but had inferior talent around him....but only a fool makes that argument.

bobblehead
10-14-2018, 10:16 AM
Unbelievable.

Given all things....completely believable. We are supposed to go 14-2 and win the superbowl every year while drafting last in every round.

mraynrand
10-14-2018, 10:33 AM
You summarized my point of view perfectly.
Lol. Awesome. Let me take it a step further. I think the Packers have deliberately kept the roster down and subpar. Look at Cleveland and the Rams. To become great and win a championship, they’ve gone the best route: be consistently terrible for years, go through multiple front office personnel and draft in the top 5 year over year until you finally accumulate a bunch of talent and then, lightening strikes, you get the right GM, the right coach, and draft the right QB all in the span of a few years or less. NOW you can strike while the iron’s hot and maybe win it all! Packers were smarter in terms of overall money: they drafted the greatest QB but then saddled him with a pathetic coach and poor DC. In this way, they stay competitive, only on the strength of Rodgers’ great play, but only rarely, because of a great run by Rodgers or a random good year from the defense do they actually sniff a championship. But the front office remains intact for a decade or more, which of course was their ultimate goal: job security. It’s really fucking brilliant if you think about it. Murphy, TT, and Stubby are the ultimate scam artists, exploiting Rodgers only to line their pockets!

pbmax
10-14-2018, 12:44 PM
Lol. Awesome. Let me take it a step further. I think the Packers have deliberately kept the roster down and subpar. Look at Cleveland and the Rams. To become great and win a championship, they’ve gone the best route: be consistently terrible for years, go through multiple front office personnel and draft in the top 5 year over year until you finally accumulate a bunch of talent and then, lightening strikes, you get the right GM, the right coach, and draft the right QB all in the span of a few years or less. NOW you can strike while the iron’s hot and maybe win it all! Packers were smarter in terms of overall money: they drafted the greatest QB but then saddled him with a pathetic coach and poor DC. In this way, they stay competitive, only on the strength of Rodgers’ great play, but only rarely, because of a great run by Rodgers or a random good year from the defense do they actually sniff a championship. But the front office remains intact for a decade or more, which of course was their ultimate goal: job security. It’s really fucking brilliant if you think about it. Murphy, TT, and Stubby are the ultimate scam artists, exploiting Rodgers only to line their pockets!

I used to worry the NFL rewarded being terrible (not just draft picks, but lining owners pockets with cash and value). Now I am worried they are rewarding basic striving :lol:

texaspackerbacker
10-14-2018, 05:37 PM

As usual, it's hard to tell with you where the damned idiotic sarcasm begins and ends. Your earlier very astute post I took at face value - rightly or wrongly - because it was exactly right. This later one sounds a little more like your sick brand of sarcasm, though. Saying "deliberately" is a bit much.

Of the head coach, the previous DC, and the previous GM, it's pretty clear that ol' TT was the only one who was really pathetic. He either made the one blind squirrel move - skillfully drafting Rodgers, or else he even lucked into that one. The obvious fact, though, is that he did exactly like you said in terms of a supporting cast for Rodgers.

mraynrand
10-14-2018, 06:06 PM
This later one sounds a little more like your sick brand of sarcasm, though.

The earlier one, too.

Of the head coach, the previous DC, and the previous GM, it's pretty clear that ol' TT was the only one who was really pathetic. He either made the one blind squirrel move - skillfully drafting Rodgers, or else he even lucked into that one. The obvious fact, though, is that he did exactly like you said in terms of a supporting cast for Rodgers.

You have beaten me, George

https://img.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeed-static/static/2016-12/16/5/asset/buzzfeed-prod-fastlane01/sub-buzz-25430-1481883914-1.jpg

texaspackerbacker
10-14-2018, 06:58 PM
The first one you blundered into truth. The second one you stretched your luck and went too far.

denverYooper
10-15-2018, 09:29 AM

This strategy almost worked for the 49ers.

pbmax
10-15-2018, 09:59 AM
This strategy almost worked for the 49ers.

Almost works for a lot of perennially bad teams. Only a couple (Seattle, Philly) actually win the Super Bowl.

Its almost as if winning a Super Bowl is eminently difficult even for good teams.

mmmdk
10-16-2018, 04:56 AM
Yes and I've said it for years so no monday morning QB'ing from beyond the grand herring pond. And Eli Manning has 2 SB rings...TWO!

ThunderDan
10-16-2018, 07:08 AM
Yes and I've said it for years so no monday morning QB'ing from beyond the grand herring pond. And Eli Manning has 2 SB rings...TWO!

If only Bostick knew how to catch a ball against his helmet like the NY WR then it would be 2 Super Bowls apiece.

HowardRoark
10-16-2018, 07:19 AM
If only Bostick knew how to catch a ball against his helmet like the NY WR then it would be 2 Super Bowls apiece.

And if Michael Philbin would have stayed home and studied his calculus that night, there’s a good chance it would be 3.

mmmdk
10-16-2018, 09:04 AM
Clutching at straws and stop the "what if" arguments...only a nation that believes in some imaginary god or doesn't know truth from lies anymore would utter such nonsense. Rodgers is one the best QBs ever, maybe the best. Very few Packer players are even close to his level over the past 7 years. TT was on fire when drafting and signing FAs untill 7 or 8 years ago. Stubby was a good HC at first but is just a guy now and burned out. The sheer talent of Aaron Rodgers has masked/masks the lack of talent on the Packers roster; been so for many, many years including this season. Stubby has been on autopilot for years. Even Brett Favre was only 1-1 in SBs - 27 season with HOF QBs and just 2 SB wins. That's terrible, just horrid stats for Championships.

Did I mention that Eli Manning has 2 SB rings - TWO!? Trent Dilfer has 1 ring.

ThunderDan
10-16-2018, 09:45 AM
Clutching at straws and stop the "what if" arguments...only a nation that believes in some imaginary god or doesn't know truth from lies anymore would utter such nonsense.

Your inability to look objectively that an oblong ball might bounce one way or another or somehow be caught on one players helmet and not the other is telling. That all you have to do is put together the best team on paper and not play the games. Why don't you pick every game right in the Pro Pick'Em League?

Last night was a perfect example. The Packers should have lost the game but luckily the loose balls all bounced to the Packers.

hoosier
10-16-2018, 11:01 AM
Last night was a perfect example. The Packers should have lost the game but luckily the loose balls all bounced to the Packers.

That wasn't luck. Jeremy Jeffress came in to pitch the ninth with a 4-0 lead and proceeded to load em up and bring the tying runner to the plate, all so that good comeback karma could flow to the Packers. Jeffress took one for the team and suffered for Packer sins.