PDA

View Full Version : Should the Packers deal for Amari Cooper or Karl Joseph?

red
10-14-2018, 01:30 PM
https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/10/14/should-the-packers-deal-for-amari-cooper-or-karl-joseph/

i know cooper is sucking ass this year because he's on my FF team, but he has been a good player in the past but would have a massive cap number next season (14 million)

karl joseph is a safety who was drafted in the first round just 2 years ago, but hasn't lived up to that potential yet

raiders are trying to trade both of them

maybe send them haha and one of our firsts next year for both of them

Joemailman
10-14-2018, 01:40 PM
Do the Packers really another safety drafted in the 1st 2 rounds who hasn't lived up to his potential yet?

Bretsky
10-14-2018, 01:42 PM
The Raider we needed is in Chicago

mraynrand
10-14-2018, 01:59 PM
The Raider we needed is in Chicago

yup. But Gute couldn't make that move and get rid of Stubby at the end of the season, as planned.

pbmax
10-14-2018, 02:20 PM
yup. But Gute couldn't make that move and get rid of Stubby at the end of the season, as planned.

Have you crossed to the dark side now sharpcheddar? http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?30608-WTF-Crosby&p=988927&viewfull=1#post988927

:D

mraynrand
10-14-2018, 02:37 PM
Have you crossed to the dark side now sharpcheddar? http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?30608-WTF-Crosby&p=988927&viewfull=1#post988927

:D

lol. Maybe not that extreme...

But I'm predicting if the Packers lose tomorrow we'll get a visit from Mr. Blonde.

ThunderDan
10-14-2018, 04:47 PM
https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/10/14/should-the-packers-deal-for-amari-cooper-or-karl-joseph/

i know cooper is sucking ass this year because he's on my FF team, but he has been a good player in the past but would have a massive cap number next season (14 million)

karl joseph is a safety who was drafted in the first round just 2 years ago, but hasn't lived up to that potential yet

raiders are trying to trade both of them

maybe send them haha and one of our firsts next year for both of them

Don’t give up draft picks for players who are having bad years.

red
10-14-2018, 05:02 PM
oh and BTW

anyone who wants amari cooper in FF can offer me up a trade

Tony Oday
10-14-2018, 06:09 PM
I would take Amari opposite Davante

pbmax
10-14-2018, 07:08 PM
Is Gruden tanking as a coach to leave after one year or to take total control over football operations?

mraynrand
10-14-2018, 09:52 PM
Is Gruden tanking as a coach to leave after one year or to take total control over football operations?

I've wondered about this. The articles I saw claimed most of the moves were Gruden's. However, even though he has the long-term contract, I think it's backloaded, per Mike Florio:

https://sportsnaut.com/2018/01/jon-gruden-contract-heavily-backloaded-take-advantage-nevada-tax-law/

“HOW MUCH LESS? ONE LEAGUE SOURCE SAID THAT MY ROUND-NUMBER EXAMPLE OF $25 MILLION OVER THE FIRST FIVE YEARS AND $75 MILLION OVER THE FINAL FIVE YEARS FROM PFT PM ISN’T THAT FAR OFF THE MARK. MORE SPECIFICALLY, THE SOURCE SAYS THE EARLY YEARS ARE MUCH CLOSER TO $5 MILLION ANNUALLY THAN $10 MILLION.”

So they could be taking the long view, the Vegas view (they need to start being good in Vegas), and everything now is to set that up. But the moneyball strategy wore out it's welcome real fast in Cleveland, so he only gets this one bad year. If next year sucks, I bet they let him go. But McKenzie might be gone after this year anyway. I mean, what has he really accomplished - not much at all.

Bretsky
10-14-2018, 09:55 PM
oh and BTW

anyone who wants amari cooper in FF can offer me up a trade

I don't want to trade with you Red; we need to keep your full team the same

It seems like you are the only team I can beat....:)

KYPack
10-14-2018, 10:00 PM
Schnike! I had no clue Gru's deal was massive. I think the boy is still lost in a long term time warp. Course, I thought the same thing about Vermiel.

I don't think your deal would bear fruit Redman, but maybe we need to do something a little odd.

Cooper has been a total disappointment this year, tis true.

George Cumby
10-14-2018, 11:26 PM

No. He just sucks balls and is behind the times.

pbmax
10-15-2018, 08:10 AM
Given what Gruden is doing to Carr I am not sure either will be around for Vegas. Carr apparently has the same backloaded deal.

red
10-15-2018, 10:39 AM
Aren’t coaches contracts fully guaranteed?

pbmax
10-15-2018, 10:44 AM
Aren’t coaches contracts fully guaranteed?

Usually, but it can depend on the terms. Offset language, etc.

mraynrand
10-15-2018, 11:00 AM
Guaranteed but typically void upon getting new job. Don’t know if that’s in coaching alone. If, after a disastrous run with Raiders, Gruden tried to slink back to announcing (like that fraud Millen) I’m not sure he’d get paid.

pbmax
10-15-2018, 11:06 AM
Guaranteed but typically void upon getting new job. Don’t know if that’s in coaching alone. If, after a disastrous run with Raiders, Gruden tried to slink back to announcing (like that fraud Millen) I’m not sure he’d get paid.

I am not entirely sure about Gruden's plans. He made good money with ESPN, on par with some coaches, if not eventually $10 mil per year. Retirement plan? Just because? Glory and recognition? All of the above?

Vermeil was a college analyst and I bet the pay jump was bigger, but that is just a guess.

Given that he is just a human with a niche, my guess is that it was half thought out, well negotiated, and he'll stick around until he decides he doesn't need the embarrassment or grief. The Jimmy Johnson plan.

Carolina_Packer
10-15-2018, 11:51 AM

No man, I wish he was still there. Two easy division wins per year is nothing to sneeze at. He openly admits he was over his skis with that job, but the Fords kept him there, and that was fine with me.

I actually like him doing color for games. I saw a Football Life on him. Seems like a cool guy. Sorry to hear he has a life threatening disease and has had to step away from doing BTN games.

mraynrand
10-15-2018, 01:51 PM
No man, I wish he was still there. Two easy division wins per year is nothing to sneeze at. He openly admits he was over his skis with that job, but the Fords kept him there, and that was fine with me.

I actually like him doing color for games. I saw a Football Life on him. Seems like a cool guy. Sorry to hear he has a life threatening disease and has had to step away from doing BTN games.

Millen never shoulda dropped the announcing bit in the first place. He was OK. Did not know about the disease. Ugh. Amyloidosis of the heart...

red
10-15-2018, 03:58 PM
Usually, but it can depend on the terms. Offset language, etc.

Is he that much of a dick that he would completely tank this year to get fired and and just sit on his ass and make 100 million

I would act like a complete cock to the whole world for that much money

ThunderDan
10-15-2018, 04:10 PM
Is he that much of a dick that he would completely tank this year to get fired and and just sit on his ass and make 100 million

I would act like a complete cock to the whole world for that much money

You do it for free in the game day threads. :duel:

red
10-15-2018, 04:57 PM
I’m sponsored, arent you?

ThunderDan
10-15-2018, 06:43 PM
I’m sponsored, arent you?

Sponsored, what is this sponsored that you are talking about?

red
10-15-2018, 06:50 PM
Sponsored, what is this sponsored that you are talking about?

Miller beer gives me 99 cents for every post I make on here

ThunderDan
10-15-2018, 07:03 PM
Miller beer gives me 99 cents for every post I make on here

You are up to $28,000+. Well done,

red
10-15-2018, 07:07 PM
You are up to $28,000+. Well done,

Not bad for 10 years worth of work

I’m redneck rich

ThunderDan
10-15-2018, 07:09 PM
Not bad for 10 years worth of work

I’m redneck rich

You can afford to buy 22 minutes of ARods weekly salary.

ThunderDan
10-15-2018, 07:10 PM
You can afford to buy 22 minutes of ARods weekly salary.

Oh wait, that’s 2.2 minutes.

red
10-15-2018, 08:40 PM
Oh wait, that’s 2.2 minutes.

LOL

Bretsky
10-15-2018, 08:58 PM
HOLY ARCIA !!!!!!!!!!

run pMc
10-17-2018, 11:14 AM
Joseph? Nah. Cooper?
Maybe, not for a R1 the Raiders were asking. Fun to imagine Cooper catching passes from Rodgers though.

You'd want to work out a reasonable contract in advance -- he's not worth the $14M RFA tender OAK exercised.
Of course, what will probably happen is Gute sits tight on his WR picks, maybe offers Cobb a 2y/$11M deal, and spends his cap space/draft picks on the OLine and OLB (and safety).

Is Cooper an upgrade over Cobb or Graham?

Joemailman
10-17-2018, 11:31 AM
I don't know what to make of Cooper. He's had 2 games this year with 100+ yards receiving, and 3 games where he's barely targeted. Something wrong there. I'd pass on giving up a high draft pick for him, especially with Packer rookie Wr's showing promise.

gbgary
10-17-2018, 12:00 PM
two more inconsistent players aren't needed on this team. this team needs studs. find a stud on a bad team and make a deal.

theeaterofshades
10-17-2018, 12:08 PM
at this point, id trade brice for a half eaten corn dog. any safety help has to be better

mraynrand
10-17-2018, 12:10 PM
find a stud on a bad team and make a deal.

Is Khalil Mack available? - the Raiders suck this year, and we really need a pass rush.

gbgary
10-17-2018, 03:31 PM
Is Khalil Mack available? - the Raiders suck this year, and we really need a pass rush.

it would take guts to do that.

mraynrand
10-17-2018, 04:02 PM
at this point, id trade brice for a half eaten corn dog.

DM me. I can make this happen.

Joemailman
10-22-2018, 06:41 PM
Cooper a Cowboy.

Fritz
10-23-2018, 11:22 AM
Do people here think hev was worth Dallas's first-rounder?

gbgary
10-23-2018, 11:43 AM
Do people here think hev was worth Dallas's first-rounder?

no. he's good but not a 1st pick good. maybe a 2, for sure a 3. they're getting killed here for giving a 1st.

mraynrand
10-23-2018, 02:08 PM
no. he's good but not a 1st pick good. maybe a 2, for sure a 3. they're getting killed here for giving a 1st.

just wait 'til he starts dropping everything. If he does, because that's his MO....

red
10-23-2018, 04:24 PM
People greatly overvalue draft picks

Cooper is a solid #1 wr when his heads in the right place

Dallas is in desperate need of a #1

If they drafted a wr with that first round pick next year, then maybe in 2 to 3 years he could turn out to be as good as copper. Or they can have that talent now

I think it’s a good trade for Dallas, hell the eagles offered a 2nd, so other teams were very interested

texaspackerbacker
10-23-2018, 07:10 PM
Assuming Cooper is not damaged goods, and I'm pretty sure he is not, this trade is good for Dallas. I would not have wanted to see the Packers make a similar trade, because our needs are not similar. But for Dallas, this could lift them to near the top of the NFL.

pbmax
10-23-2018, 07:55 PM
People greatly overvalue draft picks

Cooper is a solid #1 wr when his heads in the right place

Dallas is in desperate need of a #1

If they drafted a wr with that first round pick next year, then maybe in 2 to 3 years he could turn out to be as good as copper. Or they can have that talent now

I think it’s a good trade for Dallas, hell the eagles offered a 2nd, so other teams were very interested

I read the Cowboys were bidding against themselves. Where did you hear Eagles with a 2nd?

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/10/22/18012630/jon-gruden-dumb-nfl-trade-king

pbmax
10-23-2018, 07:58 PM
just wait 'til he starts dropping everything. If he does, because that's his MO....

He's also lost what explosiveness he had. Saw him compared to Roy Williams.

The Raiders sent Amari Cooper—who has averaged less than 50 yards a game since the start of the 2017 season—to Dallas for the Cowboys’ first-round pick, which, assuming they do not improve drastically, will be a fairly good one since the Cowboys are one of 14 teams currently under .500. Cooper’s yards per route run (https://twitter.com/PFF_Raiders/status/1054458425529253890) has declined three straight seasons and he hasn’t cracked the top 30 in his career in that metric. This season he’s 62nd among receivers.

Cheesehead Craig
10-23-2018, 09:13 PM
Assuming Cooper is not damaged goods, and I'm pretty sure he is not, this trade is good for Dallas. I would not have wanted to see the Packers make a similar trade, because our needs are not similar. But for Dallas, this could lift them to near the top of the NFL.

This deal may help them win the NFC East, but putting them near the top of the NFL? That's laughable.

texaspackerbacker
10-23-2018, 10:02 PM
Cooper at age 24 and without serious injury in his career has "lost explosiveness"? Come On!

"win the NFC East but not be near the top of the NFL"? Last year's champ of the East won the Super Bowl - with a back up QB no less.

My problem with this trade from a Cowboy perspective is that Cooper is only under contract through this season (I think that is true). He is in effect a hired gun, so if the Cowboys don't perk up and go deep into the playoffs, the trade is kinda a waste. If Jerry and Stephen Jones think this deal is a positive thing, though, I wouldn't argue with them. Their GMship is a helluva lot better over recent years than a lot of other GMs including our own.

red
10-23-2018, 10:13 PM
I read the Cowboys were bidding against themselves. Where did you hear Eagles with a 2nd?

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/10/22/18012630/jon-gruden-dumb-nfl-trade-king

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/10/22/report-eagles-offered-a-second-rounder-for-amari-cooper/

https://sports.yahoo.com/eagles-reported-offer-amari-cooper-213117890.html

Michael Silver

@MikeSilver
I’m told the Eagles offered a second-round pick to the Raiders for Amari Cooper last week. Raiders held out for a 1. Got it today from Philly’s NFC East rival. Colts also had interest. @AroundTheNFL @nflnetwork

3:18 PM - Oct 22, 2018

Pugger
10-24-2018, 09:46 AM
it would take guts to do that.

It would take another GM who wants to unload a pass rusher to do that and I can't see that happening any time soon.

texaspackerbacker
10-24-2018, 10:51 AM
My grandson told me that talk radio in Dallas says the Giants are ready to be like Oakland and unload anybody not named Beckham or Barkley. Some all out fools in the Dallas area apparently would like to see the Cowboys replace Dak Prescott with that old puke, Eli Manning; Sheeeesh, they are as bad as some people in this forum hahahaha.

If the Giants are having a fire sale, though, I think they still have a couple of decent pass rushers that the Packers might be interested in.

pbmax
10-24-2018, 11:44 AM
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/10/22/report-eagles-offered-a-second-rounder-for-amari-cooper/

https://sports.yahoo.com/eagles-reported-offer-amari-cooper-213117890.html

He's too young be dismissed as done, but there were already questions about him at his best (first two seasons) and now he is performing worse.

Gruden definitely seems to be tanking, but Cooper was bad last year as well. I guess we will see.

Although, maybe not, he is going to Dallas.

mraynrand
10-25-2018, 09:40 PM
Here be some real receivers:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DqJp5TBX4AU9M-s.jpg

mraynrand
10-25-2018, 09:45 PM
3700 yards, 26 TDs in 1980

wthigoot
10-25-2018, 10:28 PM
My grandson told me that talk radio in Dallas says the Giants are ready to be like Oakland and unload anybody not named Beckham or Barkley. Some all out fools in the Dallas area apparently would like to see the Cowboys replace Dak Prescott with that old puke, Eli Manning; Sheeeesh, they are as bad as some people in this forum hahahaha.

If the Giants are having a fire sale, though, I think they still have a couple of decent pass rushers that the Packers might be interested in.

What's the max to give for Olivier Vernon? Might go as high as Packers #2 if he's available. Think Packers have the cap space, question of how effective he will be.