PDA

View Full Version : More Banjo: Week 6 vs. San Fran

pbmax
10-15-2018, 10:33 PM
Hey, did you hear the Brewers won 4-0?

Packers seem to trail most of the game to the 49ers. While a win is good, comebacks are not the measure of a good team. Defeating a team with Bobby Bethard, or CJ Bethard, or CW McCall at QB should have been a matter for the defense and they failed for another half. Which has become very common this year.

Looked like the Packers had Bell at RT and I am guessing McCray at RG, which seemed to yield some pressure on the QB. Not ideal.

On the plus side, 31 points for an offense down about 4 starters is nothing to sneeze at.

mraynrand
10-15-2018, 10:36 PM
Patrick was at RG a lot/most of the time. Don't know if/how much McCray played, but he was dressed.

pbmax
10-15-2018, 10:39 PM
Packer Report @PackerReport
#FireCapers?

Pusha C @Deckatoe
Thompson left this defense in shambles. All his picks besides Clark and Daniels busted in recent years while letting good players go

But the good guys he let go were his picks. Hmm.

Joemailman
10-15-2018, 10:39 PM
Great night for Wisconsin.

https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/44138076_10204765286008810_9213509366014017536_n.j pg?_nc_cat=101&oh=4e01323d997c35a2c12243711e319a9e&oe=5C4F2D5A

pbmax
10-15-2018, 10:40 PM
Patrick was at RG a lot/most of the time. Don't know if/how much McCray played, but he was dressed.

Gotcha. I was checking in between pitching changes and the four song medley that is now every seventh inning stretch.

ThunderDan
10-15-2018, 10:43 PM
Great night for Wisconsin.

https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/44138076_10204765286008810_9213509366014017536_n.j pg?_nc_cat=101&oh=4e01323d997c35a2c12243711e319a9e&oe=5C4F2D5A

Only if we get count this Saturday’s game for Bucky.

ThunderDan
10-15-2018, 10:45 PM
D held SF to 111 yards and 6 points in 2nd half. Doesn’t seem possible. Would never guess that without looking at the box score.

pbmax
10-15-2018, 10:55 PM
So someone has to catch me up. During my brief checkins, it looked like Rodgers had better passing numbers than Bethard and more yardage by a good amount. Packers turn it over, just peter out on drives, FG versus TD?

ThunderDan
10-15-2018, 10:59 PM
So someone has to catch me up. During my brief checkins, it looked like Rodgers had better passing numbers than Bethard and more yardage by a good amount. Packers turn it over, just peter out on drives, FG versus TD?

7 out 10 drives resulted in scores. 3 tds, 4 fgs. Got stopped on 4th and 2 from the 3.

mraynrand
10-15-2018, 11:00 PM

Just terrible consistency with productivity on first and second downs again - so many third and very longs. Eventually, the right side of the line couldn't hold up and they were getting pressure.

pbmax
10-15-2018, 11:00 PM
OK, so I did not just imagine this:

Pete Dougherty @PeteDougherty
Bulaga announced as shoulder injury, Bell replaces him at RT, with Lucas Patrick replacing Bell at RG. Bulaga's return questionable.

Bulaga back in at RT, Bell back to RG

pbmax
10-15-2018, 11:02 PM
Just terrible consistency with productivity on first and second downs again - so many third and very longs. Eventually, the right side of the line couldn't hold up and they were getting pressure.

I caught that they were 0 for forever on 3rd and long in the game. I think I saw two 3rd and 10+ plays just checking in. One a sack, the other was a penalty.

Loved the TD pass to Monty early out of a quadrilateral TE stack. Maybe a rhombus. But also saw a few run 7 yards and turn around plays.

pbmax
10-15-2018, 11:03 PM
Tom Silverstein @TomSilverstein
Crosby redeems himself after the worst week of his career. Hits 4 of 4 field goals for the win.

Tom Silverstein @TomSilverstein
Final drive was 10 plays, 81 yards, 1:07.

ThunderDan
10-15-2018, 11:04 PM
I caught that they were 0 for forever on 3rd and long in the game. I think I saw two 3rd and 10+ plays just checking in. One a sack, the other was a penalty.

Loved the TD pass to Monty early out of a quadrilateral TE stack. Maybe a rhombus. But also saw a few run 7 yards and turn around plays.

That was ruled a lateral and a running TD.

Joemailman
OK, so I did not just imagine this:

Bulaga announced as shoulder injury, Bell replaces him at RT, with Lucas Patrick replacing Bell at RG. Bulaga's return questionable.

Bulaga back in at RT, Bell back to RG

What does Bulaga have left to injure?

mraynrand
I think Ha Ha had the best seat in the house to watch the game.

Joemailman
10-15-2018, 11:06 PM
And Rodgers with a successful 2 minute drill in a close game!

pbmax
10-15-2018, 11:07 PM
And Rodgers with a successful 2 minute drill in a close game!

And 4th quarter win.

mraynrand
10-15-2018, 11:07 PM
What does Bulaga have left to injure?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmZ-_MgewjY

pbmax
10-15-2018, 11:08 PM
I think Ha Ha had the best seat in the house to watch the game.

Was he in the Booger mobile?

pbmax
10-15-2018, 11:10 PM
That was ruled a lateral and a running TD.

When they send the 3 or 4 TEs out like that and the D doesn't send four players in answer, they should just throw it immediately.

Freak Out
10-16-2018, 12:54 AM
Is CM3 as bad as he looks on some of these plays? Just zero effort. On one big SF run he just ran a circle around the guy when he was the first line of defense.

Tony Oday
10-16-2018, 01:13 AM
Or when he didnt even try on Garcon

mmmdk
10-16-2018, 05:06 AM
It's always great when Packers win; especially vs Niners as I still get flashes back to that obvious Jerry Rice fumble that wasn't called. I'd say that Vikings, Bears, Cowboys, Niners & Eagles are the NFC teams that I enjoy Packers beating the most.

pbmax
10-16-2018, 08:54 AM
Wisconsin needs a new band to feature.

Title town @titletown
ICYMI: Titletown in Prime Time! Watch @garbage's @ESPN Monday Night Football performance - shot on Top of Ariens Hill.

https://twitter.com/titletown/status/1052183377741266945

channtheman
10-16-2018, 09:17 AM
Aaron Jones needs to run the ball more. 41 yards on 8 carries. Whatever his problem is on passing downs needs to be fixed.

denverYooper
10-16-2018, 09:31 AM
Ben Fennell
‏ @BenFennell_NFL
2m2 minutes ago

#Packers Recap Nuggets...

219 YAC from GB offense... Most since 2017 Week 2 vs ATL

GB Offense 3/6 in Red Zone vs SF... Now only 11/22 on season - 22nd in NFL

CJ Beathard 3rd Down Passing.... 2/6 21yds 4.9 QB Rating - 3rd worst QB Rating on 3rd down in NFL this season

#SFvsGB

texaspackerbacker
10-16-2018, 09:31 AM
Last night reminded me of January 1, 1963. I was age 15, laying on the sofa with a fever of 103, coming down with the chicken pox, watching what to that time was probably the greatest college football game ever - #2 Wisconsin v. #1 USC in the Rose Bowl. The Badgers (Vander Kelen and Richter) came back from down 42-14 in the 4th quarter. They lost 42-37, but they were knocking on the door at the end.

Last night, I was sick as a dog - 24 hour flu or something, laying on the sofa watching both the Packers and the Brewers on two TVs. Nothing makes a person feel better than Success X 2.

Pugger
10-16-2018, 09:32 AM
Is CM3 as bad as he looks on some of these plays? Just zero effort. On one big SF run he just ran a circle around the guy when he was the first line of defense.

I wonder if after getting those terrible RTP calls earlier he is hesitating and avoiding contact with the QB? :???:

pbmax
10-16-2018, 09:40 AM
Green Bay Packers @packers
▪@tae15adams - 132
▪@TheJimmyGraham - 104
▪@MVS__11 - 103

The #Packers had three players with 100+ receiving yards in a single game for just the second time in franchise history (1980 at Tampa Bay: RB
Eddie Lee Ivery, TE Paul Coffman & WR Aundra Thompson). #GoPackGo

texaspackerbacker
10-16-2018, 09:47 AM
As great as this game was, it exposed some Packer personnel weaknesses on both sides of the ball. Both of the Niner lines outplayed both Packer lines by a huge margin, and the Niners are not even known to be that great. They were rushing Rodgers horribly the whole game, usually with just their D Line. Only his super human QB play saved the day. And pretty much all game, especially in the first half, the Niners were gashing our D for big gains running the ball and not allowing us to get to Beathard. When we finally did at the end, it took an all out blitz, gambling on Kevin King's man coverage. He came through big time when it counted - after getting beat a few times earlier.

I don't blame Pettine for the D weakness most of the game. He is a much better innovator when he has better talent. What he needs to improve at is being a compensator - like Capers was - for the Packer personnel weaknesses. He showed signs of that late in the game last night.

The Packers are getting more and more solid at Receiver, though. The rookies - who are probably way more talented than Allison and Cobb - finally seems to be on the same page with Rodgers and gain his confidence. Ditto that to a lesser extent for Graham.

I don't really blame McCarthy much either. He did the best he could with the hand he was dealt - specifically the Packers O Line - for most of the game. Then when things got desperate, he just unleashed Rodgers and let Aaron be Aaron.

Great Game, Great Night for Wisconsin sports all the way around. We needed it after the debacle X 2 last Saturday.

denverYooper
10-16-2018, 09:48 AM
Green Bay Packers @packers
▪@tae15adams - 132
▪@TheJimmyGraham - 104
▪@MVS__11 - 103

The #Packers had three players with 100+ receiving yards in a single game for just the second time in franchise history (1980 at Tampa Bay: RB
Eddie Lee Ivery, TE Paul Coffman & WR Aundra Thompson). #GoPackGo

Also distributed by #12!

Smidgeon
10-16-2018, 10:38 AM
J'Mon got his first (and only) catch last night too. Based on Rodgers' reaction, he made a good adjustment based on coverage, then immediately made something happen with it. With MVS ramping up and EQ showing some sideline awareness, J'Mon might be the odd one out. But if he can show he belongs on the field too, then what a trio to have with Adams over the next several years.

Freak Out
10-16-2018, 04:13 PM
I wonder if after getting those terrible RTP calls earlier he is hesitating and avoiding contact with the QB? :???:

Except it wasn't a QB he was avoiding.

pbmax
10-16-2018, 04:21 PM
Elisha Twerski

Packers 10 longest runs of 2018:
Jones - 31 yards
Rodgers - 21
Jones - 18
Jones - 17
Jones - 16
Montgomery - 16
Rodgers - 15
Rodgers - 15
Montgomery - 14
Jones - 13

Packers leaders in attempts:
Williams - 53
Jones - 24
Montgomery - 20
Rodgers - 14

pbmax
10-16-2018, 04:40 PM
Matt Bowen
That’s a big play by King. No help. Playing off-man. Have to match the release, carry the route & find the ball.

It’s official. Has the seal of approval from Bowen.

mraynrand
10-16-2018, 04:42 PM
Matt Bowen
That’s a big play by King. No help. Playing off-man. Have to match the release, carry the route & find the ball.

It’s official. Has the seal of approval from Bowen.

Thank goodness. I wasn't sure it was a good play, because the guys on ESPN said he interfered :roll:

Rutnstrut
10-16-2018, 05:09 PM
Aaron Jones needs to run the ball more. 41 yards on 8 carries. Whatever his problem is on passing downs needs to be fixed.

It's not a problem Jones can fix, however Gute can. Fire stubby!!!!!

gbgary
10-16-2018, 05:38 PM

he looked silly running full speed at that guy just to be sidestepped. horrible technique.

Joemailman
10-16-2018, 05:53 PM
he looked silly running full speed at that guy just to be sidestepped. horrible technique.

It made me wonder if he's lost a lot of flexibility. Looked like he couldn't react to a change of direction at all.

Joemailman
10-16-2018, 05:58 PM
It's not a problem Jones can fix, however Gute can. Fire stubby!!!!!

Hey! Wrong thread!:-)

gbgary
10-16-2018, 06:36 PM
Thank goodness. I wasn't sure it was a good play, because the guys on ESPN said he interfered :roll:

nope, just the usual hand fighting. stayed with him (but 11 would have eventually pulled away), actually turned to the ball (which is seldom done nowadays), made a game saving play.

gbgary
10-16-2018, 06:40 PM

all the answers you've already got plus penalties. it was ridiculous again. oh...and the usual extended holding of the ball by Rodgers.

Guiness
10-16-2018, 07:29 PM

The second one - FGs, not TDs. And in the first half SF was scoring TDs. If Crosby has a game like he did against Detroit, I think the Pack loses this game.

Joemailman
10-16-2018, 07:36 PM
A mea culpa:

I dozed off during the early innings of the Brewers game. Woke up and the Packers game was 10-7. Not sure if this means anything other than I need to get more sleep. Or I'm 60.

mraynrand
10-16-2018, 10:18 PM
. If Crosby has a game like he did against Detroit, I think the Pack loses this game.

Or most any game. You can't just spot another team 13 points and expect to win much.

pbmax
10-16-2018, 10:38 PM
At least we are focused on the big items

Spoon
McCarthy on self-scout: You look at everything. It's the little things. How do you adjust your practice schedule? It's the application of how you're going to train to improve. How are you going to adjust this or tweak that?

mraynrand
10-16-2018, 10:46 PM
At least we are focused on the big items

Spoon
McCarthy on self-scout: You look at everything. It's the little things. How do you adjust your practice schedule? It's the application of how you're going to train to improve. How are you going to adjust this or tweak that?

Maybe you could train better so that SPRIGGS™ doesn't get injured in a practice field walkthrough. "We'll get that fixed"

Anti-Polar Bear
10-17-2018, 03:21 AM
Last night reminded me of January 1, 1963. I was age 15, laying on the sofa with a fever of 103, coming down with the chicken pox, watching what to that time was probably the greatest college football game ever - #2 Wisconsin v. #1 USC in the Rose Bowl. The Badgers (Vander Kelen and Richter) came back from down 42-14 in the 4th quarter. They lost 42-37, but they were knocking on the door at the end.

Last night, I was sick as a dog - 24 hour flu or something, laying on the sofa watching both the Packers and the Brewers on two TVs. Nothing makes a person feel better than Success X 2.

Too bad, Tex, after your health returned in ‘63, you obviously did not march off to San Francisco, with “grace in your heart and flowers in your hair,” ala Harlan.

Get well soon, and then march with me to South America. A chance to atone for the mistake(s) of your youth. :)

texaspackerbacker
10-17-2018, 11:43 AM
Too bad, Tex, after your health returned in ‘63, you obviously did not march off to San Francisco, with “grace in your heart and flowers in your hair,” ala Harlan.

Get well soon, and then march with me to South America. A chance to atone for the mistake(s) of your youth. :)

hahahahaha I feeling fine now - 24 hour flu with a good case of the shits. Sorry, I'm staying right here in the good ol' U.S. of A. - the greatest place to be in the history of the world even before Trump came along, and even greater now. You'll have to desert the Packers and support the Caracas Chicken Hawks without me.

Actually, about 7 years later when I was in the army, I did drop by Haight Ashbury in San Francisco, It was just another intersection then - not many friendly people to meet there or even unfriendly for that matter. Of course, I had been jaded by disgust with Commie hippies that I met in Madtown for four years before that.

run pMc
10-17-2018, 11:52 AM
Defense lost too often on early downs, putting SF in good shape to move the chains...especially in the first half. The D just didn't make any plays for a large part of the game. Surprise: pass rush and safety are issues. Who is that person wearing #76, and what did they do with the real Mike Daniels?

The offense seemed like they had a lot of 3rd-and-long situations. The young WRs continue to develop, Adams stepped up when they needed him. Graham was ok but if they scheme him open he could be a worry for defenses.
The OL scares me. Bell should be a RG, he's a liability at RT.

In what is news to noone, Rodgers played better when he threw the ball quickly and on time.

Penalties continue to derail this team or put them in a hole.
If Tony Brown is still on the 53 I will have to wonder what blackmail material he has on Zook.

They will have to run the ball and do more quick-throws to keep teams (like the Rams and Patriots) with better offenses off the field.

pbmax
10-17-2018, 11:58 AM
Daniels doesn't seem to have made a smooth transition to this defense. Weird, because it expects a lot them and with 3 of them on the field more, it has to mean more one on ones.

texaspackerbacker
10-17-2018, 12:33 PM
I like Tony Brown. Granted, he screwed up big time for the second week in a row, but the kid seems to be able to cover. he has great measurables, and I like his enthusiasm - he just needs to get a bit of discipline coached into him.

Anti-Polar Bear
10-18-2018, 03:20 AM
hahahahaha I feeling fine now - 24 hour flu with a good case of the shits. Sorry, I'm staying right here in the good ol' U.S. of A. - the greatest place to be in the history of the world even before Trump came along, and even greater now. You'll have to desert the Packers and support the Caracas Chicken Hawks without me.

Actually, about 7 years later when I was in the army, I did drop by Haight Ashbury in San Francisco, It was just another intersection then - not many friendly people to meet there or even unfriendly for that matter. Of course, I had been jaded by disgust with Commie hippies that I met in Madtown for four years before that.

Visiting SF as a pawn of the Establishment doesn’t count as a pilgrimage. Gotta go there with grace in heart and flowers in hair.

Too bad, Tex. You never embraced the counterculture movement. You’d be cool today had u done so.

Glad you’re feeling better. :)

Fritz
10-18-2018, 02:28 PM
Daniels doesn't seem to have made a smooth transition to this defense. Weird, because it expects a lot them and with 3 of them on the field more, it has to mean more one on ones.

This seems a bit strange to me, too. I thought he was all over this Pettine thing - how it was a more aggressive approach, let guys make plays - but Daniels is not producing much. Clark seems to be a better D-lineman at this point.

Rutnstrut
10-18-2018, 02:59 PM
This seems a bit strange to me, too. I thought he was all over this Pettine thing - how it was a more aggressive approach, let guys make plays - but Daniels is not producing much. Clark seems to be a better D-lineman at this point.

I really like Daniels but perhaps he just isn't that good. Maybe he has hit his max.

mraynrand
10-18-2018, 03:09 PM
I really like Daniels but perhaps he just isn't that good. Maybe he has hit his max.

Any calculus wizards in here: When is a maximum a minimum?

Fritz
10-18-2018, 07:33 PM
I like Tony Brown. Granted, he screwed up big time for the second week in a row, but the kid seems to be able to cover. he has great measurables, and I like his enthusiasm - he just needs to get a bit of discipline coached into him.

It would be fun if, after a major bone-headed gaffe like those last two, McCarthy would just kick Brown in the seat of his pants when he comes off the field.

mraynrand
10-18-2018, 08:09 PM
It would be fun if, after a major bone-headed gaffe like those last two, McCarthy would just kick Brown in the seat of his pants when he comes off the field.

Remember when Holmgren grabbed Schroeder by the facemask for screwing up???

https://www.tradingcarddb.com/Images/Cards/Baseball/101/101-594Fr.jpg

Anti-Polar Bear
10-19-2018, 02:40 AM
^^^ Ain’t happening under Dumb Mike. McCarthy ain’t a disciplinarian. Doesn’t preach accountability.

Belicick benches Super Bowl heroes in Super Bowls. McCarthy sends his players back out immediately to fuck up some more. Ain’t a coincidence that Belichick wears 5 rings.

texaspackerbacker
10-20-2018, 11:29 PM
Belichick's team has the talent to get away with that sort of thing and still win. This is 2018. In general, you start being a disciplinarian, and it's a recipe for disaster and defeat.

mraynrand
10-21-2018, 12:02 AM
Belichick's team has the talent to get away with that sort of thing and still win. This is 2018. In general, you start being a disciplinarian, and it's a recipe for disaster and defeat.

No kidding. The Patsies are so deep at WR that they had the luxury to add Josh Gordon right off the street and three steps from his seventh trip to rehab.

The true genius of BB and the Patriots is that they cheat more subtly and effectively than the Houston Astros.

pbmax
10-21-2018, 08:15 AM
The true genius of BB and the Patriots is that they cheat more subtly and effectively than the Houston Astros.

Timely and correct.