PDA

View Full Version : Official Bye Week Thread

Joemailman
10-17-2018, 12:07 PM
Bye week is about 2 things: Getting healthy and self-scouting.

Packers should have Cobb, Allison and Alexander back after the bye. Maybe Breeland makes an appearance. Will Rodgers be able to get rid of the brace?

Pettine needs to find a way to get this defense to play in the 1st half the way they play in the 2nd. They're giving up 16.7 per game in the 1st half vs. 7.3 in the 2nd. The deep safety problem needs to be addressed.

Rodgers talked in his Monday PC about the need to get rid of the ball quicker. So at least they're thinking in that direction.

mraynrand
10-17-2018, 12:15 PM
We have to accept that there is no pass rush. Pettine has a way to compensate by trusting his secondary to blanket receivers and bring extra pressure. Most good teams (e.g. @ NE) will figure this out and Pack will give up lots of points to these teams). But being able to go all-in on 'zero' coverage more often might compensate for lack of pass rush and get this team to 9-10 wins. Alternatively, they could just play prevent all day and die a death of a thousand cuts. Either way, this isn't a championship defense, there's no way outside of a crazy trade that it can be that, and the offense probably can't get high powered enough to compensate, though I think the O has a pretty high ceiling if the right side of the O-line gets healthy. Summary: I see no reason to change my 9-7 prediction.

Joemailman
10-17-2018, 12:54 PM
Pettine's defenses have never relied on edge rushers getting tons of sacks. He's never had anybody with more than 8 sacks in a season. Bringing pressure from different positions is always what he's done. He's big on inside pressure. Clark has been excellent, but I don't think he's gotten out of Daniels what he had hoped for. It's also possible he needs another draft to have the personnel he needs for his defense. The fact that M.Adams and J. Jones hardly get on the field is surprising, but maybe telling.

Fritz
10-17-2018, 02:41 PM
We have to accept that there is no pass rush. Pettine has a way to compensate by trusting his secondary to blanket receivers and bring extra pressure. Most good teams (e.g. @ NE) will figure this out and Pack will give up lots of points to these teams). But being able to go all-in on 'zero' coverage more often might compensate for lack of pass rush and get this team to 9-10 wins. Alternatively, they could just play prevent all day and die a death of a thousand cuts. Either way, this isn't a championship defense, there's no way outside of a crazy trade that it can be that, and the offense probably can't get high powered enough to compensate, though I think the O has a pretty high ceiling if the right side of the O-line gets healthy. Summary: I see no reason to change my 9-7 prediction.

I'm with ya here. There just is no real pass rush threat on this team; not in the linebacking corps, not on the d-line. So Pettine will have to scheme for pressure and take the risks that come with that - teams with really good QB's, or even CW McCall types, apparently, will light them up.

Cheesehead Craig
10-17-2018, 02:45 PM
Obligatory bye week post

ThunderDan
10-17-2018, 03:03 PM
Summary: I see no reason to change my 9-7 prediction.

I do. We already have a tie.

Bossman641
10-17-2018, 03:20 PM
Offense can't keep getting in these awful third down situations.

Joemailman
10-17-2018, 03:37 PM

Agreed. Rodgers is 27th in the NFL in completion percentage. Need more high percentage stuff on 1st down.

mraynrand
10-17-2018, 03:59 PM
I do. We already have a tie.

:oops:

CaptainKickass
10-17-2018, 05:01 PM
Obligatory bye week post

(Shakes fist in the air)

Fuckin' CRAIG!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPdFrW076R0

mraynrand
10-17-2018, 05:09 PM
"Comments are disabled for this video."

Really, I can't imagine why...

ThunderDan
10-17-2018, 05:16 PM
I hate the bye week.

ThunderDan
10-17-2018, 05:18 PM
Maybe this should be in the make the nfl better thread but.... give all the teams in the same division the same bye week. That way it doesn’t give one team an advantage over another.

CaptainKickass
10-17-2018, 05:22 PM
"Comments are disabled for this video."

It's not JUST the comments!

:rs:

Joemailman
10-17-2018, 05:41 PM
Maybe this should be in the make the nfl better thread but.... give all the teams in the same division the same bye week. That way it doesn’t give one team an advantage over another.

https://www.rjn.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/CENTRAL-OPERATIONS_JUST-DOTS_091713.png
That would mean almost nobody in these states watching football on Sunday. They don't want that.

gbgary
10-17-2018, 06:35 PM
who says we don't have a pass rush (per PFF) https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-ranking-all-32-nfl-teams-pass-rush-units-after-week-6

mraynrand
10-17-2018, 06:56 PM
who says we don't have a pass rush (per PFF) https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-ranking-all-32-nfl-teams-pass-rush-units-after-week-6

They can generate pressure, but their ability to do it with the line and OLBs - especially OLBs - is pretty limited. They need to bring an extra guy(s)...

pbmax
10-17-2018, 07:14 PM

Does anyone else agree that the Pettine evidence so far shows that the big problem stretching back with Capers is pass rush? That is not to say coverage or LBs haven't been problems, but the through line really seems to be pass rush.

Two pretty well regarded DCs are having similar results with similar flaws. When they showed that Zero coverage blitz on King's Int, I was having flashbacks to Dom.

pbmax
10-17-2018, 07:17 PM

Jones has a yard per carry better average than Williams and Monty on 2nd down. Saw it today on Twitter, it must be true.

I have to hope that a healthy Rodgers who can operate from under center, will have Jones full time. You can just play fake or RPO instead of one on one pass blocking for the RB.

wist43
10-17-2018, 07:21 PM
Jones has a yard per carry better average than Williams and Monty on 2nd down. Saw it today on Twitter, it must be true.

I have to hope that a healthy Rodgers who can operate from under center, will have Jones full time. You can just play fake or RPO instead of one on one pass blocking for the RB.

Never happen... Stubby is who he is. He won't make adjustments for a player's skill set.

wist43
10-17-2018, 07:30 PM

I don't know who compiled those stats, but there's no way they're valid. On the whole, we don't consistently generate pass rush, or push up the middle without blitzing.

Clark and Daniels have both been major disappointments; Matthews is washed up, Perry is below avg, Gilbert avg, and everyone else needs to be replaced.

The front seven needs a massive overhaul.

pbmax
10-17-2018, 07:45 PM
I don't know who compiled those stats, but there's no way they're valid. On the whole, we don't consistently generate pass rush, or push up the middle without blitzing.

Clark and Daniels have both been major disappointments; Matthews is washed up, Perry is below avg, Gilbert avg, and everyone else needs to be replaced.

The front seven needs a massive overhaul.

Clark has been fantastic.

mraynrand
10-17-2018, 08:06 PM
I don't know who compiled those stats, but there's no way they're valid.

you could look into it, Tex.

mraynrand
10-17-2018, 08:12 PM
Does anyone else agree that the Pettine evidence so far shows that the big problem stretching back with Capers is pass rush? That is not to say coverage or LBs haven't been problems, but the through line really seems to be pass rush.

Two pretty well regarded DCs are having similar results with similar flaws. When they showed that Zero coverage blitz on King's Int, I was having flashbacks to Dom.

Individual, one-on-one pass rush by the front OLB and D-line, yes. Since Matthews went downhill, they just don't have enough of it. For all the excitement over Daniels and Clark, it doesn't seem to be enough. The solution is 1) draft/trade for better pass rushers, 2) draft/trade for better defensive backs and go more zero (or other exotic blitz/coverage mixes) 3) play vanilla and die of a thousand cuts and let the offense outscore 'em. 3 has largely been the solution for several years now, with variable success. the 2018 draft went for (2) and I suspect the 2019 draft will be all about (1).

pbmax
10-17-2018, 08:14 PM
Here is McCarthy’s off-season quote about the offensive playbook makeover.

“So we’ve taken a scrub-brush approach to the whole system, whether we’re talking about formation, defensive identification, at the line putting the ball in play, all those different areas that you tend to gloss over year to year, particularly when you’re in the same offense for so long.”

Things not mentioned: new plays, new formations, importing ideas from other offenses.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/10/8/17951344/green-bay-packers-mike-mccarthy-aaron-rodgers

mraynrand
10-17-2018, 08:33 PM
KAZOOPACKFAN
10/17/2018 at 5:41 pm

This is probably McCarthy’s most anti-Bellichick trait. This commitment to an over-riding goal of balance or # of touches or spreading the ball. Bellichick will get a specific player 25 touches in one game because that player is a significant matchup problem for the team they happen to be playing that week. Said player will look awesome. The next week, whole new opponent, whole new weakness, whole different plan. Said player gets 1/4 the plays and 1/10 the touches. Someone else is the matchup problem and lights it up. It amazes me in this copycat league McCarthy can’t see that.

pbmax
10-17-2018, 09:20 PM
McCarthy loves this bubble screen as safe pass that might get you a first. Ever see him run a companion play off it?

https://twitter.com/spreadoffense/status/1052529266984931328?s=21

wist43
10-17-2018, 09:46 PM
Has Brown been cut yet?? lol...

What an idiot.

wist43
10-17-2018, 09:49 PM
Clark has been fantastic.

1) put the bong down

2) don't drink the bong water

Trust me, I've done point #2 before - it's really not the enjoyable experience you think it would be.

wist43
10-17-2018, 09:56 PM
It's strange, it seems like the same players under Pettine have underperformed; while, they overperformed for Capers.

With strangely similar results.

I do think that overall we're much better with Pettine, but I don't think there's any question the individual players are playing worse.

Joemailman
10-17-2018, 11:39 PM
Rob Demovsky
ESPN Staff Writer
Jake Kumerow and/or Trevor Davis could return to practice next week as IR-designated to return players (teams only get two all season). "We talked about that a little bit today, but that's a decision we'll have for you next week," Mike McCarthy said.

Decisions, decisions...

Bretsky
10-18-2018, 02:10 AM
It's strange, it seems like the same players under Pettine have underperformed; while, they overperformed for Capers.

It appears you are entering your first step of rehab for your addiction of hated of Dom Capers

Soon we may be hearing that MEA CULPA I referenced :))

Anti-Polar Bear
10-18-2018, 03:09 AM
Decisions, decisions...

Davis is the better special teams player, but he offers next to nothing at WR. Besides, McCarthy doesn’t really give a fuck about special teams. Otherwise, Janis would still be donning the Green and Gold.

As someone who supports NFL oddity, I’d go with Kumerow. Better receiver. With the hapless, tasteless, toothless D, Pack are gonna need win shootouts if the are to make the playoffs. The more WMDs, the better. Hell, sign Dez also.

PS: as someone who supports NFL oddity, I wanted the Packers to sign North Korea’s Younghoo Koo after Crosby kampfed against Detroit.

ThunderDan
10-18-2018, 07:17 AM
https://www.rjn.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/CENTRAL-OPERATIONS_JUST-DOTS_091713.png
That would mean almost nobody in these states watching football on Sunday. They don't want that.

I don’t care. Schedule KC - Pats that weekend. I am sure the Sunday night game had big ratings this week.

wist43
10-18-2018, 07:57 AM
It appears you are entering your first step of rehab for your addiction of hated of Dom Capers

Soon we may be hearing that MEA CULPA I referenced :))

That will never happen my old friend. "... anti-wrinkle cream there may be, but anti-fatbastard cream, there is none"

Teamcheez1
10-18-2018, 08:49 AM
Robert Tonyan time is coming after Kendricks gets suspended for marijuana possession last year.

mraynrand
10-18-2018, 09:41 AM
Robert Tonyan time is coming after Kendricks gets suspended for marijuana possession last year.

If he played in the CFL, this wouldn't be an issue.

gbgary
10-18-2018, 10:21 AM
I don't know who compiled those stats, but there's no way they're valid.

PFF did. that's what they do for a living.

gbgary
10-18-2018, 10:23 AM
remember when Marcedes Lewis was on the team. https://www.packerforum.com/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/wink.png

Cheesehead Craig
10-18-2018, 10:31 AM
(Shakes fist in the air)

Fuckin' CRAIG!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPdFrW076R0

He he he

pbmax
10-18-2018, 10:41 AM
Davis is the better special teams player, but he offers next to nothing at WR. Besides, McCarthy doesn’t really give a fuck about special teams. Otherwise, Janis would still be donning the Green and Gold.

As someone who supports NFL oddity, I’d go with Kumerow. Better receiver. With the hapless, tasteless, toothless D, Pack are gonna need win shootouts if the are to make the playoffs. The more WMDs, the better. Hell, sign Dez also.

PS: as someone who supports NFL oddity, I wanted the Packers to sign North Korea’s Younghoo Koo after Crosby kampfed against Detroit.

Davis coming back gets an injured Cobb off punt returns.

Some of Kumerow's value is lessened given the development of MVS and EQ.

pbmax
10-18-2018, 10:43 AM
If he played in the CFL, this wouldn't be an issue.

I want to know why the county prosecutor is killing the citation and charging as a crime. What happened?

mraynrand
10-18-2018, 11:42 AM

Who do they replace? Kum can take over for Brown on ST, right? Who gets the heave-ho for Davis?

mraynrand
10-18-2018, 11:43 AM
remember when Marcedes Lewis was on the team. https://www.packerforum.com/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/wink.png

He was a great decoy on the first offensive play of the game - SF was sure it was a run...

Anti-Polar Bear
10-18-2018, 12:24 PM

Cobb is the team’s best returner. Let him continue to return punts when healthy. Cobb got injured in practice, not during a game.

Think Belichick is afraid of putting Edelman out there to return punts?

St. Brown hasn’t done anything to arouse anyone. Pack can always use more WMDs on offense. Kum was sensational in the preseason.

Joemailman
10-18-2018, 04:02 PM
Who do they replace? Kum can take over for Brown on ST, right? Who gets the heave-ho for Davis?

I think Davis replaces Brown if Breeland is ready to play. Probably just leave Kumerow on IR. Don't really need him now.

pbmax
10-18-2018, 06:43 PM
Cobb is the team’s best returner. Let him continue to return punts when healthy. Cobb got injured in practice, not during a game.

Think Belichick is afraid of putting Edelman out there to return punts?

Don't agree at all. Davis can get you field position the other guys can't. There is risk though, he's not as sure handed.

Edelman doesn't get hurt as often as Cobb.

Fritz
10-18-2018, 07:26 PM
Don't agree at all. Davis can get you field position the other guys can't. There is risk though, he's not as sure handed.

This, to me, is a major drawback, in addition to his very poor decision-making when he's backed up around his own ten yard line. To me, his occasional long return does not make up for the ball-handling, decision-making, and injury-getting parts of his game.

I think Monty is doing a fine job on kicks - hasn't he had two long ones called back already? Has he fielded punts at all?

Anti-Polar Bear
10-19-2018, 12:01 AM

What Fritz said. Like the great Bob McGinn, Fritz is a Michigan grad. Michigan is the Brown of the Midwest. You don’t wanna fuck with Michigan grads- they’re smart as shit.

No shame in conceding defeat. :)

Vincenzo
10-19-2018, 01:16 AM
Sackers Puck right now and Canada legalized marijuana this week.

pbmax
10-19-2018, 09:40 AM
This, to me, is a major drawback, in addition to his very poor decision-making when he's backed up around his own ten yard line. To me, his occasional long return does not make up for the ball-handling, decision-making, and injury-getting parts of his game.

I think Monty is doing a fine job on kicks - hasn't he had two long ones called back already? Has he fielded punts at all?

Monty has handled punts in practice I think. No recorded punt returns in games. Not sure about preseason.

Packers need more talent on field, though penalties and poor execution have been problems too.

But Monty is averaging 20.3 yard per return. Davis had 22.8 last year. He's a threat to take it far even if he occasionally backs you up. I'd take it at this point. If they didn't think he had a role as returner they probably waive him with a settlement.

But if the hands thing is the concern, then let him have kickoffs and keep Cobb on punts. Catching punts is the adventure with Davis.

Fritz
10-19-2018, 09:55 AM
Having seen Monty break a couple long kickoff returns (only to have them called back due to the usual dumb holding penalty twenty yards away), I think he offers as much as Davis, with the upside of better hands and smarter decision-making. Turn him loose!

Anti-Polar Bear
10-19-2018, 12:24 PM
Monty has handled punts in practice I think. No recorded punt returns in games. Not sure about preseason.

Packers need more talent on field, though penalties and poor execution have been problems too.

But Monty is averaging 20.3 yard per return. Davis had 22.8 last year. He's a threat to take it far even if he occasionally backs you up. I'd take it at this point. If they didn't think he had a role as returner they probably waive him with a settlement.

But if the hands thing is the concern, then let him have kickoffs and keep Cobb on punts. Catching punts is the adventure with Davis.

Unless Crosby is the kicker, kickoffs nowadays are touchback-prone. Davis ain't Hester in his prime. Unwise to keep a so-so player solely to return punts, especially when something like only 2% of punts are returned. Plus, what's the point of having a punt returner when the Packer D can't get off the field on 3rd downs?

A receiving group composing of Adams, Cobb, That Sloth, MVS and Kum doesn't look pretty on paper, especially without Dez. But who knows? As the season grows cold, that group could morph into the next great Fab 5 (yes, that's a Michigan reference).

pbmax
10-19-2018, 04:40 PM
Unless Crosby is the kicker, kickoffs nowadays are touchback-prone. Davis ain't Hester in his prime. Unwise to keep a so-so player solely to return punts, especially when something like only 2% of punts are returned. Plus, what's the point of having a punt returner when the Packer D can't get off the field on 3rd downs?

A receiving group composing of Adams, Cobb, That Sloth, MVS and Kum doesn't look pretty on paper, especially without Dez. But who knows? As the season grows cold, that group could morph into the next great Fab 5 (yes, that's a Michigan reference).

They are averaging just over 1 return a game.

Neither Kumerow or Davis are going to help the D.

Anti-Polar Bear
10-20-2018, 01:12 PM
They are averaging just over 1 return a game.

Neither Kumerow or Davis are going to help the D.

Mack could’ve been the savior, but Gute obviously fucked that up. Ain’t nobody on the streets of Baltimore is gonna help the D now.

Offense is gonna need to score a boatload of points per game for the Packers to have any shot at glory. Kum is a better receiver than Davis.

Fritz
10-20-2018, 02:19 PM
One writer for the Urinal-Scented tossed out the name Chandler Jones, from the Cardinals, as one person who could help with the pass rush. But it's speculation - no one has said whether he's available. The article suggested he'd cost a second or third, I believe. If he's available. 28 years old, has six sacks.

Anti-Polar Bear
10-20-2018, 06:36 PM
Speaking of the MJS/Packersnews, the new chick there looks pretty hot.

I’m so fucking bored.

Anti-Polar Bear
10-20-2018, 06:41 PM
So I’m bored I’m actually anticipating the Brewers game.

mraynrand
10-22-2018, 11:56 AM

Rae Carruth is available

Carolina_Packer
10-22-2018, 12:25 PM
Rae Carruth is available

That would be a killer move.

Joemailman
10-22-2018, 05:04 PM
Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy said the team’s self-scouting work during the bye week revealed the obvious: His offense needs more run attempts, particularly if the unit wants more production from the play-action passing game.

“The run game needs attempts, that’s really the biggest thing coming out of the self scout,” McCarthy said Monday.

:tup::bump::glug::wave:

gbgary
10-22-2018, 05:14 PM
call me an idiot but self-scouting seems like something that someone should do every week. not once a year.

Joemailman
10-22-2018, 06:15 PM
call me an idiot but self-scouting seems like something that someone should do every week. not once a year.

Bye week gives you more time though. Other weeks I would imagine most of their time is spent preparing for the next opponent.

red
10-22-2018, 06:19 PM
:tup::bump::glug::wave:

well thats great, he's been saying that exact fuxking line since he took over as head coach

so his words don't mean shit

pbmax
10-22-2018, 07:08 PM
If they give those carries to Williams, its not going to matter much.

Anti-Polar Bear
10-23-2018, 05:58 AM
Rae Carruth is available

Actually, he ain’t. Suspended indefinitely.

mraynrand
10-23-2018, 07:06 AM
Actually, he ain’t. Suspended indefinitely.

If he promises not to take a knee they’d take him back.

Anti-Polar Bear
10-23-2018, 08:49 AM
If he promises not to take a knee they’d take him back.

Good point. The capitalist pigs of the NFL would rather hire murderers, rapists and domestic abusers than the awesome dude (Kap) on a mission to annihilate 5-0 fascism and chronic racism.

Fritz
10-23-2018, 11:14 AM
That was one of the biggest "duh" self-scouts I've ever seen out of WhineyMikey. My hope is that after his next self-scout he'll say something like "I think the biggest takeaway from our self-scout is that we need to win more games."

pbmax
10-23-2018, 12:41 PM
That was one of the biggest "duh" self-scouts I've ever seen out of WhineyMikey. My hope is that after his next self-scout he'll say something like "I think the biggest takeaway from our self-scout is that we need to win more games."

I would not hold my breath on this. We've been here before.

mraynrand
10-23-2018, 02:06 PM

Idiot.

I just did that because you told me to.

Joemailman
10-23-2018, 07:47 PM

Win more games would be good.

wist43
10-23-2018, 09:14 PM
What he needs to do is stop telegraphing plays with formation, personnel, and down/distance. As it is, the defense might as well be in the huddle when Aaron is giving the play call.

Defensive players have said they know what's coming. Aaron is frustrated...

I don't think McCarthy gets it.

We're definitely losing at least 3 out of the next 5... that will put us at 5-5-1 with 5 to play. Throw in our usual self inflicted shot in the foot against someone we should beat, and I think it's likely MM is gone at the end of the year.

gbgary
10-24-2018, 11:56 AM
Idiot.

I just did that because you told me to.

NOW...after 64 years...someone listens to me? ugh!

Freak Out
10-24-2018, 05:34 PM
Lions just traded a 5th for Snacks...dude can still play.

mraynrand
10-24-2018, 08:59 PM
Lions just traded a 5th for Snacks...dude can still play.

He's better than Francois. Good rotation player.