2019 4th

Gave him away

Tony Oday
10-30-2018, 03:08 PM
Gave him away

They overpaid for a safety that can't tackle

pbmax
10-30-2018, 03:15 PM
Its a rental for part of one year. 4th is pretty good price at this late date. 4th round pick for what, nine games?

texaspackerbacker
10-30-2018, 03:20 PM
I'd like to see the other Josh - Jackson - get a shot at playing Safety. For whatever reason - lack of speed? - he hasn't thrived at Corner. To me, he seems like a potentially excellent ball hawking Safety.

Fritz
10-30-2018, 03:51 PM
Gave him away

If they had kept him for the season, then let him go, what might they have gotten as a compensatory pick?

And does this signal a kind of "soft rebuild" this year? If so, does the coach get "rebuilt" after the season, too? Or does he get an extension?

Fritz
10-30-2018, 03:54 PM
This is where I don't like the command structure. MM can complain to Murphy that his talent's been stripped. And Gutekunst can't replace MM but might have to work with him - I can't imagine MM is onboard with stripping a starting safety off a team he's trying to get to the playoffs with.

Patler
10-30-2018, 04:00 PM
Its a rental for part of one year. 4th is pretty good price at this late date. 4th round pick for what, nine games?

Yup, and it is better compensation than they would have received for losing him in free agency.
- First, it will be a year earlier than any FA compensation for losing him next off season.
- Any regular fourth round pick is better than any fourth round compensatory pick.
- I highly doubt HHCD will sign a contract large enough that it would have merited third round compensation, probably not even fourth round.
- It is guaranteed compensation to the Packers that will not be offset by any free agents the Packers might sign next off season.

If the Packers had made the decision to let him leave in free agency, this guarantees them a higher pick and a year earlier than any likely compensatory pick they MIGHT have gotten in return, and all they gave up was 9 games of his services. Very shrewd move.

It's a bad deal only if they wanted to re-sign him. I think this makes it clear that they did not.

pbmax
10-30-2018, 04:05 PM
This is where I don't like the command structure. MM can complain to Murphy that his talent's been stripped. And Gutekunst can't replace MM but might have to work with him - I can't imagine MM is onboard with stripping a starting safety off a team he's trying to get to the playoffs with.

Its definitely messing with the command structure I had created in my head.

mraynrand
10-30-2018, 04:16 PM
Its definitely messing with the command structure I had created in my head.

There seem to be two most likely possibilities: Stubby is guaranteed a new contract, and he'll be excused for fewer winds because they dropped these guys, OR, They know they are canning Stubby at the end of the year, so they don't care if they take players away from him.

Sitton and Randall were both problems. Removing both was a personnel problem; Randall was so much a problem that Stubby was able to hold it off until the season was over. Given that they got rid of problems when they cropped up, as much as possible, I think Stubby isn't too frustrated getting rid of Ha Ha (was he really playing all that well, anyway?) and Monty (maybe a problem, but nt so much with the emergence of the rookie WRs).

I now think Stubby is locked in.

Fosco33
10-30-2018, 04:40 PM
Pettine played Tramon at safety for Browns... does Tramon take over??

Joemailman
10-30-2018, 04:43 PM
They overpaid for a safety that can't tackle

It seemed he didn't much want to tackle.

gbgary
10-30-2018, 05:35 PM
Are we selling the farm?

no. just getting what we could for two disgruntled players. worked out great.

The Shadow
10-30-2018, 05:35 PM
Note To Gute : Never draft a DB (Clinton-Dix/D. Randall) that shows up on draft day in a gaudy red suit + ridiculous bow tie.

gbgary
10-30-2018, 05:36 PM
Note To Gute : Never draft a DB (Clinton-Dix/D. Randall) that shows up on draft day in a gaudy red suit + ridiculous bow tie.

#wardrobevetting

esoxx
10-30-2018, 05:39 PM
So long Clinton Shitin-Bricks. We hardly knew ye.

red
10-30-2018, 05:46 PM

https://amp.businessinsider.com/images/5ae33bec19ee86211d8b459d-960-480.jpg

pbmax
10-30-2018, 05:50 PM
^ Very nice!

Repped.

Joemailman
10-30-2018, 06:17 PM
Clinton Dix goes to Washington.

Might have to move this thread to FYI.

QBME
10-30-2018, 06:46 PM
Are we selling the farm?

Seriously?? No freakin way. Made an incredibly strong statement. Rolling the dice for sure, but making a clear case of team commitment. I believe Gute is planting a stake in the ground. I like it, for good or ill.

Cheesehead Craig
10-30-2018, 07:22 PM
Gute getting rid of the TT players that were borderline to below average starters and also both players knew they were not in the long term plans for the team. Why wait for the offseason? I like the moves.

wist43
10-30-2018, 08:05 PM
I like the moves... Dix was soft, and Monty wasn't going to contribute much.

The roster needs to be made over, with biggest areas of need at LB and OL.

mraynrand
10-30-2018, 08:08 PM
Clinton Dix goes to Washington.

Might have to move this thread to FYI.

OK, I'll just say it this once and no more - he's the punchline to this joke: What did Monica say when Bill dropped his drawers?

mraynrand
10-30-2018, 08:14 PM

This could happen. Whithead/Brice deep and Jones/Tramon shallow? I know they had Whitehead close to the LOS Sunday, so Tramon could switch and play deep, but man his speed is just not that great. Wish we had someone wit a bit more range at FS, but we'll have to wait for draft/FA.

George Cumby
10-30-2018, 08:52 PM
OK, I'll just say it this once and no more - he's the punchline to this joke: What did Monica say when Bill dropped his drawers?

Lol! Original content?

run pMc
10-30-2018, 09:07 PM
Wow. I sure hope they have a plan. Brice is a #3 S, and frankly so is Whitehead. J.Jones can't get on the field, so... maybe they think Raven Greene is an upgrade?
I'm trying to figure out if this move is more about this season or next season.

HHCD wasn't a bad player, but he definitely didn't build on his Pro Bowl season and has probably peaked. Hey, it could be worse, the Jets could've taken HaHa and Ted drafted Calvin Pryor.

Per the JSO:

Only wide receiver Davante Adams and center Corey Linsley remain from the Packers' nine-man draft class from 2014.
Yikes.

George Cumby
10-30-2018, 09:10 PM
I like it. Getting a draft pick is a steal. Maybe Guts can make hay with fourth round picks the way TT did.

Also cutting non or under performers and bad attitudes will be motivating to the rest of the team.

Kill the chicken to frighten the monkey.

Anti-Polar Bear
10-31-2018, 12:47 AM
I like it. Getting a draft pick is a steal. Maybe Guts can make hay with fourth round picks the way TT did.

Also cutting non or under performers and bad attitudes will be motivating to the rest of the team.

Kill the chicken to frighten the monkey.

Yeah, make hay like drafting Allan Barbre in the 4th instead of trading the pick for Randy Moss.

As for Dix, I tried to warn y’all when the guy was a rook that the guy was/is a wanker. Kentucky made fun of me, along with countless uncool Pack fans.

Todd shoulda drafted hip hop safety Harrison Smith instead of the wanker Perry.

mraynrand
10-31-2018, 07:00 AM
Yeah, make hay like drafting Allan Barbre in the 4th instead of trading the pick for Randy Moss.

As for Dix, I tried to warn y’all when the guy was a rook that the guy was/is a wanker. Kentucky made fun of me, along with countless uncool Pack fans.

Todd shoulda drafted hip hop safety Harrison Smith instead of the wanker Perry.

If only we had listened

mraynrand
10-31-2018, 08:33 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DqgQg4EXcAAjr6V.jpg

Sparkey
10-31-2018, 08:39 AM

Since the best comp pick they could get for him, if they let him walk, was a third rounder, it was a good trade. They were not resigning him and he wasn't going to get the massive contract in FA that would have netted them a 3rd round comp.

I think they might try Breland at Safety.

Sparkey
10-31-2018, 08:41 AM

Possibly Tramon or Maybe Breeland ?

mraynrand
10-31-2018, 08:55 AM
Lol! Original content?

Wait, what? Are you asking about Bill's 'original content,' or asking if I made this up?

RashanGary
10-31-2018, 10:32 AM
Brice is fast. I could see Brice at free safety and then Whitehead at strong. Tramon would play the Woodson role.

Anti-Polar Bear
10-31-2018, 10:43 AM
Brice is fast. I could see Brice at free safety and then Whitehead at strong. Tramon would play the Woodson role.

Brice has been playing the free. He sucks at it. Awareness is so bad, he wouldn’t be able to locate the rock if it was the size of the fucking sun.

gbgary
10-31-2018, 10:53 AM
https://amp.businessinsider.com/images/5ae33bec19ee86211d8b459d-960-480.jpg

that suit isn't gaudy and the tie looks great. :whist:

pbmax
10-31-2018, 11:17 AM
Brice has been playing the free. He sucks at it. Awareness is so bad, he wouldn’t be able to locate the rock if it was the size of the fucking sun.

Dix has been playing FS as well. I think they mix it up to help confuse defenses. He's been back there deep for several horrible big plays. They'll show 2 high but then one will come down toward the LOS.

Carolina_Packer
10-31-2018, 12:24 PM

Hmm, you may be on to something. Maybe the sun is in his eyes and he needs a visor. Then he'll be able to locate a ball in the air.

Fosco33
11-01-2018, 08:35 PM
Sounds like Twill t safety

Joemailman
11-01-2018, 10:19 PM
Sounds like Twill t safety

Which means that Josh Jones is looking more and more like a bust. A 2nd round pick in his 2nd year should be primed to take over on this situation.

mraynrand
11-02-2018, 09:19 AM
Which means that Josh Jones is looking more and more like a bust. A 2nd round pick in his 2nd year should be primed to take over on this situation.

If he were a 7th round pick, he'd be a steal as a great ST player.

bobblehead
11-02-2018, 09:21 AM
If he were a 7th round pick, he'd be a steal as a great ST player.

He'll probably be a probowler for someone in couple years.

pbmax
11-02-2018, 09:35 AM
He'll probably be a probowler for someone in couple years.

The most distressing part isn't two seasons to master a position enough to be trusted, its to have a different coaching staff decide he's not close enough to ready so they put a 48 year old CB at safety.

texaspackerbacker
11-02-2018, 09:42 AM
I'm not saying they shouldn't have traded Clinton-Dix; I was fairly pleased he was gone for a 4th round pick. The fact is, though, Jones as well as Brice and Whitehead are different kinds of Safetys and have been used differently than HHCD. They all have played closer to the line, never at single deep Safety and not much in Cover Two. Tramon seems better equipped to play there - or King or Josh Jackson. The fact they aren't throwing Josh Jones in as a direct replacement for HHCD shouldn't be seen as a knock on Jones.

pbmax
11-02-2018, 09:46 AM
I'm not saying they shouldn't have traded Clinton-Dix; I was fairly pleased he was gone for a 4th round pick. The fact is, though, Jones as well as Brice and Whitehead are different kinds of Safetys and have been used differently than HHCD. They all have played closer to the line, never at single deep Safety and not much in Cover Two. Tramon seems better equipped to play there - or King or Josh Jackson. The fact they aren't throwing Josh Jones in as a direct replacement for HHCD shouldn't be seen as a knock on Jones.

I am pretty sure Brice has played some deep safety. Maybe he grades out as terrible at it. He definitely takes some horrible tackling angles while back there.

But I suspect Tramon got the call because he will keep the play in front of him and not let someone get behind him. He's trusted, rather than especially suited to play there.

Fosco33
11-02-2018, 10:04 AM
I see twill moving sort of Chuck. It’s a trust thing.

What about the FA safety we got (breeland?). Why did we pick him up if he can’t play?

Nick Collins getting hurt really put this team back a step or two.

Huge priority for us is a no brained QB of the defense who will make teams think twice about throwing g over the middle

Joemailman
11-02-2018, 10:16 AM
I see twill moving sort of Chuck. It’s a trust thing.

What about the FA safety we got (breeland?). Why did we pick him up if he can’t play?

Nick Collins getting hurt really put this team back a step or two.

Huge priority for us is a no brained QB of the defense who will make teams think twice about throwing g over the middle

Breeland has been hurt. He's been primarily a CB, although he did play some SS as a rookie. Not sure what the Packers plans are for him.

mraynrand
11-02-2018, 10:20 AM
Breeland has been hurt. He's been primarily a CB, although he did play some SS as a rookie. Not sure what the Packers plans are for him.

injure then try and heal his hammy, like every other Packer.

pbmax
11-02-2018, 11:33 AM
injure then try and heal his hammy, like every other Packer.

All you need is copper ~ Brett Favre

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61dFmNYGcXL._SX522_.jpg

Anti-Polar Bear
11-02-2018, 12:03 PM
Collins’ replacement was actually available via the draft. Todd incompetently drafted Nikita Perry instead.

Collins replacement plays for the Queens nowadays. Dude’s a hip-hopping mofo.

pbmax
11-02-2018, 12:09 PM
Collins’ replacement was actually available via the draft. Todd incompetently drafted Nikita Perry instead.

Collins replacement plays for the Queens nowadays. Dude’s a hip-hopping mofo.

What year did Collins get hurt?

pbmax
11-02-2018, 12:14 PM
All the answers to your questions about Ha Ha. If true in general, his head got bigger and his play got worse. Very reminiscent of Jermiachael Finley, who got so absorbed trying to survive long enough to earn his big payday that he forgot how to catch the ball on Game Days.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/dougherty/2018/11/01/dougherty-unraveling-mystery-ha-ha-clinton-dixs-decline/1848782002/

Wasn't there another article someone had that the worst thing to happen to players was the Pro Bowl? Too much praise, other agents telling you how under paid you are, picking up bad habits from other players not working under the constraints of a team ....

“He thought he was good enough that he didn’t have to study as much as a rookie (does),” a team source said of Clinton-Dix’s mindset the last two seasons. “He’s guessing (in pass coverage). He’s thinking that’s how you get paid.”

At first blush, it’s hard to see why Clinton-Dix thought he was in line to become one of the highest-paid safeties in the league, which sources said he had in fact told teammates. He was on track for that kind of deal in ’16, which was his third season in the league. But after the drop-off in his play in 2017 the Packers would have been crazy to pay him big. This season has only confirmed their decision.

Anti-Polar Bear
11-02-2018, 02:07 PM
What year did Collins get hurt?

Harrison Smith was drafted in 2012. Todd had the likes of MD Jennings and Charlie Peprah playing for the Pack. Still drafted a DE to play OLB.

gbgary
11-02-2018, 02:51 PM

jones isn't a free safety. he needs to play closer in as a strong.

"tramon will play some safety." so it looks like safety by committee.

red
11-02-2018, 03:04 PM
We need someone to get the guys lined up right

Twill should know the system the best, so he gets to play out of position because we have no one else that can do it

bobblehead
11-02-2018, 03:29 PM
I am pretty sure Brice has played some deep safety. Maybe he grades out as terrible at it. He definitely takes some horrible tackling angles while back there.

But I suspect Tramon got the call because he will keep the play in front of him and not let someone get behind him. He's trusted, rather than especially suited to play there.

Ah yes. The MM way. Play the veteran.

bobblehead
11-02-2018, 03:30 PM
All you need is copper ~ Brett Favre

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61dFmNYGcXL._SX522_.jpg

Didn't work. That image caused inflamation, not reduced it.

mraynrand
11-02-2018, 04:49 PM
We need someone to get the guys lined up right

BRING BLACK HAWK!

Pugger
11-03-2018, 08:03 AM
They overpaid for a safety that won't tackle

FIFY