PDA

View Full Version : The Future

Tony Oday
10-31-2018, 12:48 PM
So we dealt Ha Ha for a 4th, we have extra picks this year, is this the last reload for Rodgers? We need a Safety, two edge rushers, dynamic TE, Three linemen and a kick returner right?

I feel like this season is just what it is but we are going to reload with rookies and FA next year.

ThunderDan
10-31-2018, 01:00 PM
As long as you have Arod you aren't that far. If the draft picks pan out it will be quick and painless. If they don't it will be years of .500 football.

Sherman left the cupboard bare. We were still able to turn it around pretty quickly. At one point only Wells and Barnett were the only players from Sherman's drafts on the team and that caused a year of pain when TT took over.

run pMc
10-31-2018, 01:55 PM
If I have it right, Gute will have 10 picks (two R1, two R4, two R6), which isn't bad. Not sure they will get any comp picks.

I'd expect them to focus on defense, they have more needs there and -- assuming M3 and Pettine stay -- will be able to better shape the roster on that side. Plus the young WRs should continue to ascend.

Agree that pass rush, safety, and OL are the areas they need most help.

call_me_ishmael
10-31-2018, 02:09 PM
You've got a stud corner, a stud QB, a stud LT. They're not that far off. They need a star pass rusher.

Jadeveon Clowney is a free agent after this year. I would roll the dice and offer him the biggest defensive contract in NFL history to him. Freaks like him ain't right and don't come around often.

Then I use the additional draft capital to move up and get Nicky B.

You pull off both of those things, add a receiver and a guard, and you're a contender.

Cheesehead Craig
10-31-2018, 03:15 PM
You've got a stud corner, a stud QB, a stud LT. They're not that far off. They need a star pass rusher.

Jadeveon Clowney is a free agent after this year. I would roll the dice and offer him the biggest defensive contract in NFL history to him. Freaks like him ain't right and don't come around often.

You pull off both of those things, add a receiver and a guard, and you're a contender.

I don't think they can move up to #2 to get Bosa. They could move up to the 9-12 range and get a Ferrell (Clemson) or Gary (MI)

Not really cap space for Clowney unless they get rid of another big money player or restructure Clay.

ThunderDan
10-31-2018, 03:27 PM
Clay is gone next year or resigned at half the price. His contract is done after the season.

jklowan
10-31-2018, 03:29 PM
I don't think they can move up to #2 to get Bosa. They could move up to the 9-12 range and get a Ferrell (Clemson) or Gary (MI)

Not really cap space for Clowney unless they get rid of another big money player or restructure Clay.

Clay is gone after this year, his contract is up along with Cobb and Bulaga. Green bay is gonna have some coin to spend

mraynrand
10-31-2018, 03:32 PM
We don't rebuild, we reload - but only 3/4 a magazine.

Cheesehead Craig
10-31-2018, 03:48 PM
Whoops, my bad on Clay, thought he had another year left.

wist43
10-31-2018, 03:50 PM
I'm more encouraged now than a few weeks ago...

I think Pettine looks like he can coach, Alexander, VS, and StBrown all look to have upside, some cap heavy contacts can be jettisoned after this year, and Stubby will likely be gone next year.

If we get the right coach, I think we can contend next year. If we keep Stubby?? Probably not.

Tony Oday
10-31-2018, 04:41 PM
Man I didn't know Cobb was done too, forgot, that is exciting!

texaspackerbacker
10-31-2018, 04:48 PM

I'm not sure what "only 3/4 a magazine" even means, but Rand seems to have a point. THANKFULLY, the Packers have never and hopefully will never tear down in order to build up like some teams do.

First if all, anytime you have Aaron Rodgers, the Future is Now. I'm certainly not ruling out the Packers making the playoffs - strong chance IMO for a division championship, and going all the way THIS SEASON.

Secondly, there is strong reason to hope for major improvement next season and beyond. Just having Ted Thompson gone helps a lot, but we already have had some upgrades, and we should get more next year.

Regarding Clay Matthews, I see him as possibly staying with the Packers, much like Ryan Braun and the Brewers (yeah, I know the contract situation is different). Matthews would still be decent in a role with reduced expectations, lower salary, and more talent around him.

gbgary
10-31-2018, 04:58 PM
So we dealt Ha Ha for a 4th, we have extra picks this year, is this the last reload for Rodgers? We need a Safety, two edge rushers, dynamic TE, Three linemen and a kick returner right?

I feel like this season is just what it is but we are going to reload with rookies and FA next year.
the next off-season pretty much will be. lots of picks and cap room. after that it'll hole-plugging again.

Joemailman
10-31-2018, 05:02 PM
Clay is gone after this year, his contract is up along with Cobb and Bulaga. Green bay is gonna have some coin to spend

If they do no extensions between now and free agency, they'll be 43.2M under the cap. That's a lot but only ranks 14th. There's going to be a lot of money being thrown around. One good thing is that they will have significantly more cap space than Chicago (19.6M) and Minnesota (10.8M)

red
10-31-2018, 07:44 PM
Clay is gone next year or resigned at half the price. His contract is done after the season.

and i believe perry is done too

so thats over 20 million freed upright there

coob could also be gone, theres another 12 million or so

ThunderDan
10-31-2018, 08:32 PM
and i believe perry is done too

so thats over 20 million freed upright there

coob could also be gone, theres another 12 million or so

Perry signed a 5 year deal before last season. He is under contract until 2021. Research I did said the contract was structured to be able to get out after 2019 with only 7 million cap hit.

George Cumby
10-31-2018, 08:34 PM

And with the wrong caliber.

mraynrand
10-31-2018, 09:50 PM
And with the wrong caliber.

I like Packers of that... caliber. By "caliber," of course, I refer to both the size of their gun barrels and the high quality of their characters...

Smidgeon
10-31-2018, 11:48 PM
If I have it right, Gute will have 10 picks (two R1, two R4, two R6), which isn't bad. Not sure they will get any comp picks.

I'd expect them to focus on defense, they have more needs there and -- assuming M3 and Pettine stay -- will be able to better shape the roster on that side. Plus the young WRs should continue to ascend.

Agree that pass rush, safety, and OL are the areas they need most help.

I personally think J'Mon Moore still will develop too. MVS and EQ have already shown they belong on the field. If my hunch is right, they'll be able to jettison Cobb and have Adams, Allison, and three tall and fast receivers. They could bring back the Big 5 again.

Now they just need pass rush and a Finley clone in the 3rd...but without the headache.

MadScientist
11-01-2018, 01:06 AM
Gute is putting his stamp on the roster as fast as he can. Anyone who can't play at a high enough level is cast off as soon as possible.
The Packers were moving in the wrong direction and the only way to improve is to replace as many of the non-performers as quickly as possible.

bobblehead
11-01-2018, 05:43 PM

I would expect that Clowney will get tagged or extended. If he is available and we could use the cobb/clay money to land him it would solve a lot of problems. I would use the draft picks on offense to be honest, as our OL has slipped. We could use another WR in a WR heavy draft upcoming. If you could land a clowney and draft WR/RB/G with 1/1/2 (that contribure) I would think this team is pretty good at that point. I think the DBacks are pretty good now, and if we move King or Jackson to safety the D is pretty well settled. I am not happy that its TWill they are moving there now, but I guess a veteran is going to transition better midseason then a young guy.

texaspackerbacker
11-01-2018, 06:02 PM
I don't know about Clowney. He's been injured a lot, and he really hasn't performed as expected until this, his contract year. Also, I suspect he is either thriving because of the super pass rush talent around him in Houston or because of the system or scheme they use there. I just don't see him as another Reggie White.

I also like the idea of moving Jackson or King to Safety although I also see the wisdom of using Tramon there in the short term.