PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical Next Coach of the Green Bay Packers

Pages : [1] 2 3

call_me_ishmael
11-02-2018, 01:13 PM
Let's assume MM is gone after this year. Who are the hot coaching candidates? Who do you want to see the Gooter bring in?

The guy I'd want is Jim Harbaugh.

Anti-Polar Bear
11-02-2018, 02:19 PM
The guy calling plays offensively for Pack’s opponent this week.

Alternatively, any non black or white coach would do. As someone who supports NFL oddity, i’d like to see, say, an Asian or Turkish head coach for a change. :)

Anti-Polar Bear
11-02-2018, 02:24 PM
A-Rod would throw for 7000 yds/season in NE’s system. So bring in J-Mac.

gbgary
11-02-2018, 02:46 PM
A-Rod would throw for 7000 yds/season in NE’s system.

with nothing over 20 yards in the air.

pbmax
11-02-2018, 02:59 PM
What good is a NE coach without the cheat's library?

pbmax
11-02-2018, 03:04 PM
:repost:

http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?30606-Official-Fire-Mike-McCarthy-Thread&p=988929&viewfull=1#post988929

Candidates:

Offense
MATT LAFLEUR, OC, TENNESSEE
JOHN DEFILIPPO, OC, MINNESOTA
BRIAN DABOLL, OC, BUFFALO
Josh McDaniels, OC, New England
Dan Campbell, OC, New Orleans
Jim Bob Cooter, OC, Detroit

Defense
JAMES BETTCHER, DC, NYG
JIM SCHWARTZ, DC, PHILADELPHIA
ROBERT SALEH, DC, SAN FRANCISCO
GEORGE EDWARDS, DC, MINNESOTA
Teryl Austin, DC, Cincinnati

College
Chris Petersen, HC, Washington
David Shaw, HC, Stanford
Jim Harbaugh, HC, Michigan
Lincoln Riley, HC, Oklahoma
Matt Campbell, HC, Iowa State

Smidgeon
11-02-2018, 03:07 PM

http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?30606-Official-Fire-Mike-McCarthy-Thread&p=988929&viewfull=1#post988929

Candidates:

Offense

Defense
JAMES BETTCHER, DC, NYG

College
David Shaw, HC, Stanford

Was McDaniels innovative outside of NE?

pbmax
11-02-2018, 03:11 PM
Adam Gase
Mike McCoy

I have another list somewhere else. See if I can find it.

pbmax
11-02-2018, 03:23 PM

He and McCoy made Tebow semi-functional. But not sure that applies to much else.

bobblehead
11-02-2018, 03:27 PM

Didn't he win a playoff game with Tebow?

The Shadow
11-02-2018, 03:29 PM
Hue Jackson!

pbmax
11-02-2018, 03:49 PM
http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?30624-McCarthy-s-Fate&p=991187&viewfull=1#post991187

Gil Brandt Twitter has you covered:

There's a multitude of good NFL coaching candidates. If I was hiring, here's what my short list would look like:

1. Jim Schwartz, PHI DC
2. Dave Toub, KC ST coach
3. Kris Richard, DAL DB coach
4. Matt Eberflus, IND DC
5. Lincoln Riley, OKLA HC
6. Jeremy Bates, NYJ OC

pbmax
11-02-2018, 03:50 PM
Hue Jackson!

Would rather have Hugh Laurie.

pbmax
11-02-2018, 03:50 PM
Didn't he win a playoff game with Tebow?

He did. And at 1-0, his playoff record is better than McCarthy's.

Damn! Its 1-1. Ruined the joke.

Teamcheez1
11-02-2018, 08:23 PM
Would rather have Hugh Laurie.

I would prefer Peter Lorre.

hoosier
11-02-2018, 09:00 PM
Jim Schwarz?!?!?!? Wasn't his showing in Det enough to disqualify him for life?

Bretsky
11-02-2018, 11:08 PM
http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?30624-McCarthy-s-Fate&p=991187&viewfull=1#post991187

Gil Brandt Twitter has you covered:

There's a multitude of good NFL coaching candidates. If I was hiring, here's what my short list would look like:

1. Jim Schwartz, PHI DC
2. Dave Toub, KC ST coach
3. Kris Richard, DAL DB coach
4. Matt Eberflus, IND DC
5. Lincoln Riley, OKLA HC
6. Jeremy Bates, NYJ OC

None of these guys seem too exciting . Any jump out to you ?

Looking for an offensive or defensive phenom. My Rams nailed it. Why can't we ?

I have predicted several times that Sean Payton will be our next coach after MM; but now that NO is going all in that seems unlikely.

So who out there jumps out ?

I could live with Hoody Genius Jr but I'm not all in on even him.

Jim Harbaugh...good coach...asshole.....I could be ok with him

But any of those guys ? Seems the reason to keep MM

call_me_ishmael
11-02-2018, 11:20 PM

Candidates:

Offense

Defense
JAMES BETTCHER, DC, NYG

College
David Shaw, HC, Stanford

Sorry for the double post. Did not mean to steal your thread.

Let's go through these name by name.

MATT LAFLEUR - I don't know anything about him. Does anyone? What makes him special?

JOHN DEFILIPPO - This is the dude who developed Wentz, but is that more coach, or player? Kirk Cousins hasn't exactly lit the world on fire in Minne. What does he bring that is unique?

BRIAN DABOLL - Call me old fashioned but I just don't want a coach from the Bills. What's this guys hook?

Josh McDaniels - Obviously a tremendous background but isn't the consensus is he's the coach in waiting and sticking in NE? I guess GB might be the type of job he'd leave for, unlike Indy. I gotta imagine he stays put after last off-seasons fiasco though.

Dan Campbell - So is the NO offense still innovative or do they just have a buttload of talent?

Cooter - Meh. He may be a good offensive mind or what have you but where are the results? I know Detroit is Detroit so that's part of it but still.

JAMES BETTCHER - Wouldn't hate it, in fact he's the guy I wanted as DC last year. I doubt they go defensive coach though.

JIM SCHWARTZ - Detroit factor, no. He didn't have results in Detroit, but of course Detroit is Detroit. I just would rather not I guess.

ROBERT SALEH - what's the story morning glory? I've never heard of him.

GEORGE EDWARDS - He surely put a nice product on the field for several years but I do wonder how much Zimmer is directly involved, how much talent plays a role, etc.

Teryl Austin - Detroit is Detroit. No thanks.

Chris Petersen - So is he still running a super innovative offense like in the 200x game between Oklahoma and Boise? I know Washington exploded into the rankings once he arrived after many years of being inept. I have always liked him mainly based on Boise results but truthfully couldn't tell you much about him.

David Shaw - Hard to argue with the consistent results and smash mouth style he plays with. It's easy to see why Stanford was Stanford under Harbaugh because of the name, but Shaw sustaining that success is pretty incredible. Harbaugh hasn't been at Stanford since what, 2010ish now? That's a long ass time of consistent success.

Jim Harbaugh - The reason I like him is for a quarterback he doesn't try to get clever and run a bleeding edge offense, he simply demands toughness in the trenches. If your team is soft now, you know they won't be with Harbaugh. Plus I think a commitment to the run could really benefit and extend Rods career.

Lincoln Riley - Alright, so everybody says Oklahoma runs some super innovative system. I can buy that I guess. What's innovative about it? Does he use a butt load of motion like the dude for the Rams? How does he create space?

Matt Campbell - Couldn't tell you a thing about the guy. What's his story?

A guy I'd like to learn more about is whomever Andy Reid's OC is. He put out Pederson who's a good coach, most people seem to think the Bears dude is a good coach, and now they're still running a super crazy offense designed to maximize the big arm of what's-his-name. I'd like to learn more. Perhaps he is too inexperienced, or perhaps Reid really does run the show there. That said, there's quite the track record from the Andy Reid coaching tree.

Might seem really dumb, but boy, it'd be interesting to put out some feelers to some cerebral QBs and see if they're interested. Peyton has gotta have a lot of time on his hands these days. Granted I think he'd be more likely to buy a team than coach a team.

Freak Out
11-02-2018, 11:29 PM
I hate Harbaugh but if he wanted to coach the Packers I'd be down. LOL

Anti-Polar Bear
11-02-2018, 11:58 PM
with nothing over 20 yards in the air.

If it moves the chains and scores points, dropping A-bombs on foes won’t matter much.

texaspackerbacker
11-03-2018, 01:09 AM
I'm no big supporter of McCarthy, but I don't see any names there I'd rather have than McCarthy. I especially hate the idea of Harbaugh.

Pettine should get some consideration. If the Steelers fire Tomlin, he also would be worth considering.

Pugger
11-03-2018, 07:48 AM
I hate Harbaugh but if he wanted to coach the Packers I'd be down. LOL

The issue with Harbaugh is he appears to wear out his welcome after a while. Let him stay at Michigan.

Pugger
11-03-2018, 07:49 AM
I'm no big supporter of McCarthy, but I don't see any names there I'd rather have than McCarthy. I especially hate the idea of Harbaugh.

Pettine should get some consideration. If the Steelers fire Tomlin, he also would be worth considering.

Hasn't Pettine indicated he would rather stay a DC?

pbmax
11-03-2018, 08:05 AM
None of these guys seem too exciting . Any jump out to you ?

Looking for an offensive or defensive phenom. My Rams nailed it. Why can't we ?

I have predicted several times that Sean Payton will be our next coach after MM; but now that NO is going all in that seems unlikely.

So who out there jumps out ?

I could live with Hoody Genius Jr but I'm not all in on even him.

Jim Harbaugh...good coach...asshole.....I could be ok with him

But any of those guys ? Seems the reason to keep MM

None of these guys excite me, but like Partial, I don't know a ton about some of them.

I haven't even decided whether to root for an established HC or a Coordinator. Tend to think Packers will look at coordinators, but can't be sure. Don't even know who is running the search.

But speaking of familiarity, is Jeremy Bates related to Jim Bates, former DC for Mike Sherman?

pbmax
11-03-2018, 08:09 AM
Bates is the son of Jim Bates! Man was that guy ticked when he didn't get M3's job. From his wiki:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_Bates_(American_football)

Personal life[edit]
Bates is the son of former long-time collegiate and NFL coach Jim Bates and attended high school in Sevierville, Tennessee. He played quarterback at the University of Tennessee before transferring to Rice University, where he also played baseball. Bates completed his bachelor's degree in 1999 at Rice.[2] In 2014, Bates hiked the 2,900-mile Continental Divide Trail (CDT), completing a five-month trek across the Continental Divide Trail from Mexico to Canada alone, trekking 20–30 miles per day with a 40 to 60 pound backpack.

Good thing? He's apparently a little nuts.

Bad thing? He was out of football from 2013 to 2017 and he's now associated with the Jets.

edit: Great thing? Gruden connection to another hot shot coaching pup. I think I want him hired just to get to rerun all these stories.

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/69857/after-conquering-3000-mile-trail-coach-faces-new-challenge-jets-qbs

edit2: Possible Seahawks beef. Also battled Alex Gibbs. If he has a connection to Jeff Jagodzinski or a Harbaugh it'll be perfect.

Bates was an offensive coordinator at 34, seemingly on the fast track to becoming a head coach, but he was fired after one season -- a playoff year, no less. There was reported strife between Bates and offensive line coach Alex Gibbs; Carroll, in an out-of-character move, sent Bates packing.

pbmax
11-03-2018, 09:28 AM
One more on Bates: https://nypost.com/2018/08/20/years-in-the-wild-set-critical-jets-coaching-piece-on-right-nfl-path/

Fritz
11-03-2018, 10:07 AM
The issue with Harbaugh is he appears to wear out his welcome after a while. Let him stay at Michigan.

I don't understand the love for Harbaugh. What exactly has he won?

mraynrand
11-03-2018, 11:04 AM

579!

pbmax
11-03-2018, 11:30 AM

He had a good NFL situation and it blew up with what now looks like an incompetent GM rather than a hard ass approach. Granted, we cannot be sure.

Got to the Super Bowl in a tough division and conference.

He had a top flight D (good drafting and FAs) and made his offense work with some spare parts to balance the salary situation. He's an O side coach and seems flexible. Not sure he is going to mesh with an other worldly talented QB.

mraynrand
11-03-2018, 11:52 AM
I'm certain some teams would win more with a hypothetical coach versus their actual coach. Hue Jackson and John Gruden immediately come to mind...

mraynrand
11-03-2018, 12:03 PM
Not sure he is going to mesh with an other-worldly talented QB.

Rodgers is at the point where he's beyond coach-level QB smart. He's a super-intelligence and knows as much or more than anyone around him. So to 'take coaching' from others is only to admit that others have a perspective you can't have (literally, as being in the box with all 22 during the game or figuratively just having a unique POV). It's tough on everyone, especially if the QB is a prima donna - like Peyton Manning at least some of the time. Has Rodgers come to that point where, like Charlie in 'Flowers for Algernon,' or Gary Mitchell in that Esper Star Trek episode, he's passed by the ignorant dummies around him, has become god-like, and sees everything on a deeper level, and can no longer brook their incompetencies? Not Hairball, not anyone else could manage Rodgers at this point. He probably needs to be destroyed before he becomes a threat to the galaxy.

Fritz
11-03-2018, 12:28 PM
Rodgers is at the point where he's beyond coach-level QB smart. He's a super-intelligence and knows as much or more than anyone around him. So to 'take coaching' from others is only to admit that others have a perspective you can't have (literally, as being in the box with all 22 during the game or figuratively just having a unique POV). It's tough on everyone, especially if the QB is a prima donna - like Peyton Manning at least some of the time. Has Rodgers come to that point where, like Charlie in 'Flowers for Algernon,' or Gary Mitchell in that Esper Star Trek episode, he's passed by the ignorant dummies around him, has become god-like, and sees everything on a deeper level, and can no longer brook their incompetencies? Not Hairball, not anyone else could manage Rodgers at this point. He probably needs to be destroyed before he becomes a threat to the galaxy.

Or he will regress and end up a babbling two-year-old, unable to distinguish between offense and defense, getting peewee league advice from a kindly white-haired gentleman.

mraynrand
11-03-2018, 12:35 PM
Aaron Rodgers demonstrates the proper method for catching one of his 85 yard passes:

https://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BODU2NzY4ODM3NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODI4MDk0MDE@._ V1_SX640_SY720_.jpg

mraynrand
11-03-2018, 12:51 PM
David Shaw - Hard to argue with the consistent results and smash mouth style he plays with. It's easy to see why Stanford was Stanford under Harbaugh because of the name, but Shaw sustaining that success is pretty incredible. Harbaugh hasn't been at Stanford since what, 2010ish now? That's a long ass time of consistent success.

Stanford has a tremendous coaching legacy going back to Denny Green, Bill Walsh, Pop Warner and even Walter Camp. Shaw is a great leader of men, but I'm not sure he's all that innovative. Who cares? He knows how to line the guys up and win. The only question now is whether Stubby takes the scenic route up 41 and through the UP or through Chicago on his way to Cleveland next year.

Anti-Polar Bear
11-03-2018, 01:25 PM
If not J-MAC; if not an Asian coach (Asians are good at math, so bring in the analytics!); if not a Turkish coach (Turks are good at warfare, so bring in the Genghis Khan attack!; then why not MIKE MARTZ?

Great Arm of Butte is clearly a Martz QB. Rodgers likes to drop back and hold the ball longer than it takes Bob Dole to play a round of golf. Martz made something out of Warner and Bulger. A-Rod has way more fucking Kung fu than the two of them.

Mike Martz could make the Packers great again.

gbgary
11-03-2018, 04:06 PM
I would prefer Peter Lorre.

i'd prefer peter faulk.

red
11-03-2018, 04:54 PM

Exactly

I have zero interest in harbaugh

Bretsky
11-03-2018, 06:27 PM

He just seems to keep winning

He did well in SF and is considered to be a good offensive mind.

He did well at Stanford

And he's turning the schmuck Wolverines around as well

Bretsky
11-03-2018, 06:28 PM
What good is a NE coach without the cheat's library?

You are jealous of their success

I am too

red
11-03-2018, 06:32 PM
He just seems to keep winning

He did well in SF and is considered to be a good offensive mind.

He did well at Stanford

And he's turning the schmuck Wolverines around as well

he doesn't exactly ever have much of a passing attack though, does he?

be kinda stupid to bring in a ginder HC when we have a-rod.

something between where we are now and harbaughs boring grinding offense would be nice

pbmax
11-03-2018, 10:22 PM

All I know is that it won't end well for the girl in his life. They lost Yeoman Rand (got her back I think in her nightie?) and the blonde Doctor bit the dust wearing him out with lightning bolts.

pbmax
11-03-2018, 10:23 PM
Or he will regress and end up a babbling two-year-old, unable to distinguish between offense and defense, getting peewee league advice from a kindly white-haired gentleman.

If they could reteach Uhura, they can reteach Rodgers.

pbmax
11-03-2018, 10:25 PM
i'd prefer peter faulk.

I'd prefer Kevin Faulk.

Unlike J-Mac who forgot to ask how the super secret scouting reports were prepared, Kevin was probably smart enough to notice.

pbmax
11-03-2018, 10:27 PM
Rodgers might be more like Nomad. We just need to feed him the data that touchdown to checkdown isn't as effective as it needs to be and he'll accept coaching from another professor.

Anti-Polar Bear
11-04-2018, 01:05 AM
Rodgers might be more like Nomad. We just need to feed him the data that touchdown to checkdown isn't as effective as it needs to be and he'll accept coaching from another professor.

Who the F is Nomad? Rodgers is a Martzist through and through. You know, likes to hold the ball forever and stuff.

pbmax
11-04-2018, 07:52 AM
Who the F is Nomad? Rodgers is a Martzist through and through. You know, likes to hold the ball forever and stuff.

You got six straight posts about Star Trek. Just need a little Google.

Or watch Star Trek: The Motion Picture

pbmax
11-04-2018, 07:57 AM
Other Harbaugh

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet
From @gmfb Weekend: #Ravens coach John Harbaugh is on the hot seat... and former Baltimore WR Steve Smith responds to the news.

Bretsky
11-04-2018, 12:36 PM
BRETSKY'S BLESSING...……………...THIS IS THE GUY I WANT....THE NEXT COACH OF THE GREEN BAY PACKERS.....JOHN DEFILIPPO...…………..TON OF NFL EXPERIENCE>>>>>TON OF SUCCESS

Three decades ago, John DeFilippo was watching an NFL game with his father at the family home in Kentucky.

Suddenly, during a break in the action, the 10-year-old had something to say.

“He turned to me and said, ‘Dad, someday I’m going to be coaching in the National Football League,’ ” Gene DeFilippo remembered.

Gene DeFilippo was an associate athletics director at the University of Kentucky at the time. But before becoming a longtime college administrator, he was a football coach, serving as offensive coordinator at Youngstown State and offensive backfield coach at Vanderbilt.

That rubbed off on his son.

“I grew up always knowing I wanted to coach,” John DeFilippo said. “I’ve always set my goals really high ever since I was a little kid.”

DeFilippo, 40, in his first season as offensive coordinator for the Vikings, has reached many of those goals. He has 11 years of experience as an NFL assistant, and last season won a Super Bowl ring as quarterbacks coach for the Philadelphia Eagles.

DeFilippo and his father say his declaration as a 10-year-old wasn’t necessarily that he wanted to become a “head” coach but many believe that could happen, too. DeFilippo interviewed for head coaching jobs in Arizona and Chicago in January, and could be a hot candidate for 2019 if the Vikings have a successful season.

“If it happens one day for me, great,” DeFilippo said. “But, oh, boy, I’m the offensive coordinator of the Minnesota Vikings. … My job is I want to the best offensive coordinator in the National Football League and be the most thorough and put our guys in the best chance to have success.”

Bretsky
11-04-2018, 12:42 PM
SIDENOTE:

DAN PATRICK ….interesting listen...……...one of his consistent messages

There is an obvous growing discontent and divide between Aaron Rodgers and MIke Mccarthy…..he says ….you can consistently see it in mannerisms on the field....and the pressers....only support that.

MM seems to be on Life Support...………..

BRING ON THE FILLIPIO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mraynrand
11-04-2018, 12:56 PM
You got six straight posts about Star Trek. Just need a little Google.

Or watch Star Trek: The Motion Picture

Nomad is from "The Changeling" and was somewhat reprised in "Star Trek: The Slow Motion Picture." "Sterilize, sterilize, sterilize"

"All I know is that it won't end well for the girl in his life. They lost Yeoman Rand (got her back I think in her nightie?) and the blonde Doctor bit the dust wearing him out with lightning bolts."

Yeoman Rand was briefly lost in "Charlie X" not in "Where no man has gone before" Which is the episode where Gary Mitchell turns into a 'god' The Blonde doctor was played by Sally Kellerman, who was significantly more exposed in M*A*S*H the movie.

Those are your trek nerd updates for the day (all comments google-free). "Go ahead, ask me anything!" (The Deadly Years), just don't ask anything from "The Next Litigation" "Deep Sleep 9" or "Voyeur." "I hate the next generation! Only the Classic" (Free Enterprise)

mraynrand
11-04-2018, 12:58 PM
SIDENOTE:

DAN PATRICK ….interesting listen...……...one of his consistent messages

There is an obvous growing discontent and divide between Aaron Rodgers and MIke Mccarthy…..he says ….you can consistently see it in mannerisms on the field....and the pressers....only support that.

MM seems to be on Life Support...………..

BRING ON THE FILLIPIO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is inevitable. Rodgers has progressed to the point where he knows that he knows more than Stubbers. The circle is complete. Rodgers is the Master now.

pbmax
11-04-2018, 03:15 PM
Nomad is from "The Changeling" and was somewhat reprised in "Star Trek: The Slow Motion Picture." "Sterilize, sterilize, sterilize"

Yeoman Rand was briefly lost in "Charlie X" not in "Where no man has gone before" Which is the episode where Gary Mitchell turns into a 'god' The Blonde doctor was played by Sally Kellerman, who was significantly more exposed in M*A*S*H the movie.

Those are your trek nerd updates for the day (all comments google-free). "Go ahead, ask me anything!" (The Deadly Years), just don't ask anything from "The Next Litigation" "Deep Sleep 9" or "Voyeur." "I hate the next generation! Only the Classic" (Free Enterprise)

Somehow I skipped over Flowers for Algernon once I read Charlie and assumed you were referring to Charlie X. I assumed a complete Trek post.

pbmax
11-04-2018, 03:17 PM
The problem with Rodgers assuming he knows more is that I fear he has been limiting the offense, looking for the big play.

McCarthy has made strides adjusting the offense, even if he is clearly still being Stubby (Jones).

mraynrand
11-04-2018, 03:46 PM
Somehow I skipped over Flowers for Algernon once I read Charlie and assumed you were referring to Charlie X. I assumed a complete Trek post.

I am a renaissance nerd.

Freak Out
11-04-2018, 10:51 PM
Holy shite...this thread has been rand jacked.

mraynrand
11-04-2018, 10:52 PM
Holy shite...this thread has been rand jacked.

Summary: Rodgers will be player-coach next year.

call_me_ishmael
11-04-2018, 11:27 PM
he doesn't exactly ever have much of a passing attack though, does he?

be kinda stupid to bring in a ginder HC when we have a-rod.

something between where we are now and harbaughs boring grinding offense would be nice

That's exactly why you want Harbaugh. He built a team that could compete for it all without a QB. He took a bunch of chumps who were talented but consistently terrible in SF and built a powerhouse. Those teams were great, and they almost certainly cost ARod a super bowl trip or two.

Joemailman
11-04-2018, 11:50 PM
MATT LAFLEUR, OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR, TENNESSEE TITANS
I’ve received mixed feedback about LaFleur so far, but something to consider before we really get going: While these names have come up fairly often, this list will be dictated significantly by a consistent history of owner behavior. Should Kyle Shanahan and Sean McVay’s stars continue to burn bright this season, there is going to be a push to pillage and raid their inner circle for other offensive wunderkinds. The 38-year-old LaFleur was the quarterbacks coach in Washington the same three years Shanahan was offensive coordinator and McVay was tight ends coach. He was the quarterbacks coach in Atlanta the two years Shanahan was offensive coordinator (including the Super Bowl season), and he was offensive coordinator in L.A. for McVay’s first season as a head coach.

This guy would be interesting. Comes from the Kyle Shanahan/Sean McVay coaching tree. Taking his lumps as OC at Tennessee this year, but there's a real lack of talent there. Did a great job as OC at LA last year. Left LA for Tennessee because he wanted to call plays.

channtheman
11-04-2018, 11:57 PM
Bring someone in who can score points with the most talented QB to ever play the game.

oldbutnotdeadyet
11-05-2018, 02:35 AM
Bring someone in who can score points with the most talented QB to ever play the game.

Yup, and before its too late...

QBME
11-05-2018, 05:25 PM
Been following this thread and what comes to my alleged mind is...if/when we bring in a new HC, does the rest of the coaching staff get blown up? Getting rid of McCarthy is fine, along with Philbin - they're running the same offense that Favre did. That's what has AR running all over because the opposition has seen it a thousand times on film.

Pettine may be the answer. He did a good job in Cleveland before Haslam inserted himself. But he"s a defense orientated guy and would need to find a fresh OC who can bring the offensive scheme into the 21st century. Nobody straight from the college ranks, and no former Packer player with whom the hoi polloi are enchanted.

We've got a 3 - 4 year window left

Joemailman
11-05-2018, 05:30 PM
Been following this thread and what comes to my alleged mind is...if/when we bring in a new HC, does the rest of the coaching staff get blown up? Getting rid of McCarthy is fine, along with Philbin - they're running the same offense that Favre did. That's what has AR running all over because the opposition has seen it a thousand times on film.

Pettine may be the answer. He did a good job in Cleveland before Haslam inserted himself. But he"s a defense orientated guy and would need to find a fresh OC who can bring the offensive scheme into the 21st century. Nobody straight from the college ranks, and no former Packer player with whom the hoi polloi are enchanted.

We've got a 3 - 4 year window leftI think the most likely scenario would be to hire an offensive coach and bring Pettine back. Pettine has said he's not interested in being a HC again. Although he may change his mind at some point, I don't think it would be difficult to get him to stay here as DC.

QBME
11-05-2018, 05:49 PM
I think the most likely scenario would be to hire an offensive coach and bring Pettine back. Pettine has said he's not interested in being a HC again. Although he may change his mind at some point, I don't think it would be difficult to get him to stay here as DC.

So, an offensive HC with a new OC? Might be a little tricky as a HC (in my opinion) needs to be strong enough to want his own staff. But smart enough to recognize what is in place is pretty good.

All I think I know is on offense what used to be known as "trick" plays are becoming more and more successful. Really quick look here, oh wait, its over there stuff are becoming the coin of the realm.

And while I'm at it, PB should give a quick primer on the differences between an End Around vs. a Reverse vs. a Double Reverse. The so called expert analysts were creaming themselves yesterday describing the Carolina long TD run as a rare double reverse. Idiots.

pbmax
11-05-2018, 06:14 PM
And while I'm at it, PB should give a quick primer on the differences between an End Around vs. a Reverse vs. a Double Reverse. The so called expert analysts were creaming themselves yesterday describing the Carolina long TD run as a rare double reverse. Idiots.

The guys who read in Game Books to their databases complain about this too. Seems official scorers don't know the difference.

Everyone always forgets the 1st sideline to other sideline handoff is an end around. Then second handoff is the reverse. Then third handoff is showing off. Or a double reverse.

Bretsky
11-05-2018, 06:43 PM
This guy would be interesting. Comes from the Kyle Shanahan/Sean McVay coaching tree. Taking his lumps as OC at Tennessee this year, but there's a real lack of talent there. Did a great job as OC at LA last year. Left LA for Tennessee because he wanted to call plays.

He was interesting, but to me I'd clearly take the VIkings OC over him

QBME
11-05-2018, 06:51 PM
. Then third handoff is showing off.

:)

texaspackerbacker
11-05-2018, 07:09 PM
Somebody mentioned a 3-4 year window ...... Rodgers is 7 years younger than Brady, who is still going strong. I expect no less from Aaron.

We do NOT need a new coach to "rein in Rodgers". If McCarthy goes at all in the near future, we need a coach who will will subordinate his own ego to the good of the present - Rodgers unleashed to pass pass pass, Pettine's creative D schemes, etc., and maybe do a better job with attention to detail for in-game situations. Who would that be? I honestly don't know. None of the names I've heard so far.

Joemailman
11-05-2018, 07:58 PM

Do you think the Vikings would let their OC leave after 1 year to go coach the Packers?

call_me_ishmael
11-05-2018, 09:46 PM
Do you think the Vikings would let their OC leave after 1 year to go coach the Packers?

I don't think they have any say in the matter since it'd be a promotion. That said, I understand why some people love him, but to me I'm not totally convinced he's ready. Minnesota hasn't exactly lit the world on fire this year.

What about somebody like Tom Herman? Kind of a dark horse obviously but a very successful track record and proved he could win on the big stage where as other college coaches failed. That said, he probably makes too much money to come to GB.

mraynrand
11-06-2018, 07:16 AM

I don't think Marino can go anymore, regardless of surrounding cast.

mraynrand
11-06-2018, 07:18 AM
Darrell Bevell is available...

mmmdk
11-06-2018, 09:38 AM
Why is it hypothetical that Packers will get a new HC after this season? Pack won't win the SB and I don't see Packers even getting to the playoffs. I'd even be ok with firing Stubby now or at any other moment during this season. Firing Stubby soon would be a great job advert around the league and what not! :drma:

mraynrand
11-06-2018, 10:41 AM
Why is it hypothetical that Packers will get a new HC after this season? Pack won't win the SB and I don't see Packers even getting to the playoffs. I'd even be ok with firing Stubby now or at any other moment during this season. Firing Stubby soon would be a great job advert around the league and what not! :drma:

It's possible Murphy and Gute think the problem was personnel and TT - if so, they want to retain Stubby and upgrade the players he has. Packers decline following 2010 began as players dropped off from decline/age, retirement or injury (Collins, Woodson, Pickett, Finley, Raji, Matthews, etc. etc.). Signing Peppers was a reprieve and they shoulda won in 2014. But here we are with a lot of failed or meh picks and a thin roster. Maybe someone can explain how that's Stubby's fault.

texaspackerbacker
11-06-2018, 10:56 AM
I hope this post (#73) is not just your usual sarcasm, Rand, because it makes a helluva lot of sense - that Murphy and Gute would be thinking just like me.

Anti-Polar Bear
11-06-2018, 11:14 AM
Maybe someone can explain how that's Stubby's fault.

Remember when Sherman confronted Sapp post-game about Sapp's monstrous hit on Clifton? A team is a reflection of its coach. The Packers under Sherman, especially under Sherman the GM/Coach, were tough as fuck and they refused to be anyone's bitch. The Packers never missed the playoffs under Sherman the GM/Coach. Playoffs! Pack haven't made the playoffs in eons.

McCarthy refuses to play starters in the preseason, refuses to tackle in practice; hell, the fat man refuses to practice on Fridays. No wonder the Packers define milksopism, often start slow, they can't tackle and they're always unprepared.

Worst of all, I've personally met orangutans that were smarter than McCarthy. The Packers are as dumb as fuck, and McCarthy's not doing shit about that stupidity cos he's retarded about accountability.

Anti-Polar Bear
11-06-2018, 11:24 AM

The way the German Shepherd has been hoarding draft picks, he'll wait til the offseason to trade Dumb Mike. Plenty of bottom feeders like the Browns would love to have McCarthy.

Trade McCarthy, and bring in J-Mac or Mike Martz or any Asian or Turkish coach.

texaspackerbacker
11-06-2018, 02:27 PM
There's this 63 year old guy coaching Montreal in the CFL we ought to consider. He has NFL experience and won something like 52-28 in the regular season. Seems like I read recently he never missed the playoffs also.

Pugger
11-06-2018, 02:43 PM
Remember when Sherman confronted Sapp post-game about Sapp's monstrous hit on Clifton? A team is a reflection of its coach. The Packers under Sherman, especially under Sherman the GM/Coach, were tough as fuck and they refused to be anyone's bitch. The Packers never missed the playoffs under Sherman the GM/Coach. Playoffs! Pack haven't made the playoffs in eons.

McCarthy refuses to play starters in the preseason, refuses to tackle in practice; hell, the fat man refuses to practice on Fridays. No wonder the Packers define milksopism, often start slow, they can't tackle and they're always unprepared.

Worst of all, I've personally met orangutans that were smarter than McCarthy. The Packers are as dumb as fuck, and McCarthy's not doing shit about that stupidity cos he's retarded about accountability.

With your man-crush on Mike Sherman I'm surprised you waste your time with the Packers anad aren't a big fan of the Montreal Allouletts.

call_me_ishmael
11-06-2018, 03:45 PM
What about ol' Urb? I despise the guy but he is the creator of the spread and he flat out wins. He probably cheats to win, though. College coaches are tricky to evaluate because so much of it is recruiting, which isn't really a skill that matters in the NFL.

mraynrand
11-06-2018, 09:00 PM
What about ol' Urb?

That thing is growing in his head, and I'm not talking about his ego.

pbmax
11-06-2018, 10:33 PM
Remember when Sherman confronted Sapp post-game about Sapp's monstrous hit on Clifton? A team is a reflection of its coach. The Packers under Sherman, especially under Sherman the GM/Coach, were tough as fuck and they refused to be anyone's bitch.

Tell this to the Atlanta playoff victory at Lambeau.

mraynrand
11-06-2018, 11:24 PM

That Packer team was wrecked.

Deputy Nutz
11-07-2018, 07:38 AM
I didn't go through his whole thread, but anyone mentioned so far that has coaching for the San Francisco 49ers in their background? IF no I don't know if hey can be hired in Green Bay.

Anyone coaching for Andy Reid will be an option, otherwise I struggle for find a name that make sense. I guess the OC from the Saints. I don't even know that guys name.

Firing McCarthy will be for change not because there is a better coach out there.

Cheesehead Craig
11-07-2018, 07:58 AM
Eric "Sleeping with the" Bieniemy. OC for the Chefs and is considered the next hot HC hire. Rumor is that Reid has trusted him with most of the facets of the offense including QB develpment. He's extremely meticulous in his prep and he really gets a lot of the spacing and isolation concepts Reid does.

Anti-Polar Bear
11-07-2018, 07:58 AM
Anyone coaching for Andy Reid will be an option, otherwise I struggle for find a name that make sense.

Al Harris.

Anti-Polar Bear
11-07-2018, 08:13 AM

Point was, Pack are soft and dumb under McCarthy. Soft and dumb ain’t no way to go through life, son.

mraynrand
11-07-2018, 08:17 AM
Firing McCarthy will be for change not because there is a better coach out there.

The motto of our county hospital is "Change is Healthy." At an open forum, I told the CEO that I changed from a balanced, low carb diet with exercise to a Beer and Pizza, TV-watching lifestyle and asked him if that was 'healthy.' I was escorted out by security.

pbmax
11-07-2018, 06:13 PM
That Packer team was wrecked.

But still they refused.

pbmax
11-07-2018, 06:15 PM
Point was, Pack are soft and dumb under McCarthy. Soft and dumb ain’t no way to go through life, son.

Dumb happens. Happened to Favre on multiple occasions.

Soft is just paying attention that the losses you like to talk about.

pbmax
11-08-2018, 09:11 AM
Miami D coordinator Matt Burke is considered an emerging talent and runs a traditional 4-3 scheme. He comes from the Jim Schwartz/Gunther Cunningham tree and also spent time under Paul Guenther in Cincinnati.

call_me_ishmael
11-08-2018, 09:59 AM
Eric "Sleeping with the" Bieniemy. OC for the Chefs and is considered the next hot HC hire. Rumor is that Reid has trusted him with most of the facets of the offense including QB develpment. He's extremely meticulous in his prep and he really gets a lot of the spacing and isolation concepts Reid does.

I love the idea of going with a Chiefs coach. In my research, I definitely overlooked this guy and I should not have. I'm not really sure why, I guess because it's his first year on the job. The Chiefs run the most innovative offense (read: college offense) in the league. This is what I'd like to get to. The Packers would need to invest _heavily_ in speed in the draft though. I'm good with that personally.

Unrelated, but is it safe to say Andy Reid has the best coaching tree in the league? Seems like an Andy Reid coordinator spot is a guaranteed ticket to a head coaching gig.

Pugger
11-08-2018, 11:05 AM
Miami D coordinator Matt Burke is considered an emerging talent and runs a traditional 4-3 scheme. He comes from the Jim Schwartz/Gunther Cunningham tree and also spent time under Paul Guenther in Cincinnati.

If we go with a defensive minded HC will that be the end of Pettine in GB? I like what our new DC is doing.

Smidgeon
11-08-2018, 11:51 AM
I love the idea of going with a Chiefs coach. In my research, I definitely overlooked this guy and I should not have. I'm not really sure why, I guess because it's his first year on the job. The Chiefs run the most innovative offense (read: college offense) in the league. This is what I'd like to get to. The Packers would need to invest _heavily_ in speed in the draft though. I'm good with that personally.

Unrelated, but is it safe to say Andy Reid has the best coaching tree in the league? Seems like an Andy Reid coordinator spot is a guaranteed ticket to a head coaching gig.

Except for TE, don't they have that? Adams may not be a burner, but he's elite in other things that make receiver successful.

Cobb will be gone sooner rather than later, and the three rookies are all burners.

Jones might not have the best 40 time (in fact, he could as well--I have no clue what it is), but one article I read recently said his acceleration is light years ahead of everyone else, hitting the line of scrimmage at a speed significantly higher than any of the other RBs.

Fritz
11-08-2018, 12:55 PM
The motto of our county hospital is "Change is Healthy." At an open forum, I told the CEO that I changed from a balanced, low carb diet with exercise to a Beer and Pizza, TV-watching lifestyle and asked him if that was 'healthy.' I was escorted out by security.

Change is healthy but dollar bills are healthier.

Joemailman
11-08-2018, 07:09 PM
Remember when Sherman confronted Sapp post-game about Sapp's monstrous hit on Clifton? A team is a reflection of its coach. The Packers under Sherman, especially under Sherman the GM/Coach, were tough as fuck and they refused to be anyone's bitch.

Bullshit. If the Packers were so tough, how come it was Sherman who had to confront Sapp? None of his players would. Sherman might have been tough. His teams weren't.

call_me_ishmael
11-09-2018, 10:01 PM
Was Mike Shanahan an offensive visionary? It seems he put together quite the staff in Washington. This was a fun read.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/06/18/sean-mcvay-rams-kyle-shanahan-49ers-coaching-rivalry

New Titans offensive coordinator Matt LaFleur, now 38, was Washington’s QB coach from 2010 to ’13, later worked as Shanahan’s QB coach for two years in Atlanta and was McVay’s offensive coordinator last year in Los Angeles.

KYPack
11-10-2018, 09:48 AM
I didn't go through his whole thread, but anyone mentioned so far that has coaching for the San Francisco 49ers in their background? IF no I don't know if hey can be hired in Green Bay.

Anyone coaching for Andy Reid will be an option, otherwise I struggle for find a name that make sense. I guess the OC from the Saints. I don't even know that guys name.

I know you are a busy boy, but read that one, it's pretty good.

Here are some names of bright, young OC's that were in the article:

Matt LaFleur Ten Titan OC
John DeFilipo Vikes OC (a name that comes up, plus we could tease Ras about it)
Nathaniel Hackett Jag's OC
Nick Sirianni Colt OC
Jim Bob Cooter Lion OC (I hope not, can't stand people named Jim Bob)
Dowell Loggains Dolphin OC (We'll see how smart he is tomorrow)

The article doesn't name them all, but there are some 15 young QB coaches around the league in that "smart kid under 40" category. I imagine that would eliminate Joe Philbin.

bobblehead
11-10-2018, 10:14 AM

Eric Bienemy has worked pretty hard to learn the "reid way" in KC. He might make a good head coach but I believe this is his first season as a coordinator which would make it early...but not unheard of.

bobblehead
11-10-2018, 10:14 AM

I Really gotta learn to read on before commenting...

bobblehead
11-10-2018, 10:20 AM
I know you are a busy boy, but read that one, it's pretty good.

Here are some names of bright, young OC's that were in the article:

Matt LaFleur Ten Titan OC
John DeFilipo Vikes OC (a name that comes up, plus we could tease Ras about it)
Nathaniel Hackett Jag's OC
Nick Sirianni Colt OC
Jim Bob Cooter Lion OC (I hope not, can't stand people named Jim Bob)
Dowell Loggains Dolphin OC (We'll see how smart he is tomorrow)

The article doesn't name them all, but there are some 15 young QB coaches around the league in that "smart kid under 40" category. I imagine that would eliminate Joe Philbin.

Hackett Has made Blake Bortles look serviceable most of the time. He also used Mercedes Lewis to develop a smash mouth run game to assist his QB.

call_me_ishmael
11-13-2018, 11:49 AM
Matt Canada shout out!

Really, it was a simple play, made confusing for the defense by a ridiculous presnap motion. And it had been lifted from the college ranks. (Specifically: the presnap chaos practiced in 2017 by LSU offensive coordinator Matt Canada.) Both the play’s name and the formation, Weezy Right, were a nod to Louisiana-born rapper Lil Wayne. The first time the Chiefs installed Lollipop, quality control coaches queued up that chart-topping 2008 Weezy track in the meeting room. The music might not have been Reid’s style, but, as is his way, he embraced it.

The 2016 Chiefs traveled in November to play the Panthers in Charlotte, and after checking into their hotel on Saturday afternoon, several coaches caught a glimpse of a game between unranked Pitt and No. 3 Clemson. As they watched, it was more than just the unfolding upset that caught their eyes—they were sucked in by the misdirection tactics discombobulating Clemson’s defense. That was the first time they noticed Canada, who back then was Pitt’s OC.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/11/12/future-football-offense-andy-reid-patrick-mahomes-kansas-city-chiefs

texaspackerbacker
11-13-2018, 12:13 PM
I'd prefer somebody with NFL head coaching experience even if it wasn't all that successful. Also, I do not want somebody who has "made QBs good". I want somebody with a small enough ego to leave well enough alone and subordinate his own brilliance to what Aaron Rodgers does best.

Pugger
11-13-2018, 04:03 PM
I'd prefer somebody with NFL head coaching experience even if it wasn't all that successful. Also, I do not want somebody who has "made QBs good". I want somebody with a small enough ego to leave well enough alone and subordinate his own brilliance to what Aaron Rodgers does best.

Isn't that what Stubby does now? Let Rodgers do whatever the hell he wants? EVERY player needs coaching and I have a feeling Stubby is morphing into what happened with Sherman and Favre back in the day.

texaspackerbacker
11-14-2018, 12:22 AM
Isn't that what Stubby does now? Let Rodgers do whatever the hell he wants? EVERY player needs coaching and I have a feeling Stubby is morphing into what happened with Sherman and Favre back in the day.

You got that right, and I wouldn't want it any other way. Less passing would be a step in the wrong direction. Reining in Rodgers or trying to change the way he plays the game would be a major step in the wrong direction.

pbmax
11-14-2018, 07:28 AM
You got that right, and I wouldn't want it any other way. Less passing would be a step in the wrong direction. Reining in Rodgers or trying to change the way he plays the game would be a major step in the wrong direction.

A little less passing this year would relieve some pressure from Rodgers and give the team favorable down and distance considering that they are leading the league (or are just behind the Rams) in running efficiency.

I am not lover of ball control offense when you have talent on offense. But a little more would help the injured Rodgers and the pass blocking impaired O line quite a bit this year especially. So would fewer downfield shots on 2nd and 3rd and long.

If they nudged their first down ratio toward fifty/fifty, I think the offense would be considerably improved this year.

Then M3 would have time to solve special teams before they cost him his job.

pbmax
11-14-2018, 07:33 AM
For the record, LSU basically hired the coordinators who helped the Badgers make it past Bielema and succeed until Chryst arrived, Aranda and Canada.

I would not mind Canada getting the run game coordinator position (or QB coach) with the Packers so he could go nuts (like the Nebraska championship game) with the play design. Mr. Jet Sweep would be a breath of fresh air. Andy Reid has stolen from him, Packers should pay him for it. I'd bet he could help in the red zone too.

I am not sure he is head coach material. But I saw some LSU versus Alabama (I think) and watching the LSU offense it was clear that the problem wasn't Canada when they fired him.

bobblehead
11-14-2018, 10:57 AM
Matt Canada shout out!

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/11/12/future-football-offense-andy-reid-patrick-mahomes-kansas-city-chiefs

I could be cool with this just because we could constantly say "Matt Canada eh!" think of all the variations we could do this with.

bobblehead
11-14-2018, 10:58 AM

Sort of like the way Mike Sherman handled Favre. What could possibly go wrong?

texaspackerbacker
11-14-2018, 11:08 AM
A little less passing this year would relieve some pressure from Rodgers and give the team favorable down and distance considering that they are leading the league (or are just behind the Rams) in running efficiency.

I am not lover of ball control offense when you have talent on offense. But a little more would help the injured Rodgers and the pass blocking impaired O line quite a bit this year especially. So would fewer downfield shots on 2nd and 3rd and long.

If they nudged their first down ratio toward fifty/fifty, I think the offense would be considerably improved this year.

Then M3 would have time to solve special teams before they cost him his job.

I like the fact that we seem to have a breakaway threat RB now, but I still want a large percentage of Rodgers passes - not that I'm obsessed with passing. If it was the Badgers with their O Line and Hornibrook, I'd be saying the opposite.

texaspackerbacker
11-14-2018, 11:10 AM
Yeah, Canada might make a great Packer O Coordinator and better play caller than McCarthy, but I would want him with McCarthy as head coach, not instead of.

Fritz
11-14-2018, 11:26 AM
I could be cool with this just because we could constantly say "Matt Canada eh!" think of all the variations we could do this with.

And when there's a fuck up?

"Oh, Canada!"

pbmax
11-14-2018, 06:53 PM
Sherman got Favre calmed down quite a bit after the bombs away campaign of Sherm Lewis and Ray Rhodes in 1999. Favre took the emphasis of the running game pretty well. I have no complaints about that part of Sherman.

What they couldn't help was Favre getting old and impatient. And cold. Never seen a player more miserable than Favre in Chicago that year.

Joemailman
11-14-2018, 06:57 PM
And when there's a fuck up?

"Oh, Canada!"

More like "Oy, Canada!"

Bretsky
11-14-2018, 08:43 PM
For the record, LSU basically hired the coordinators who helped the Badgers make it past Bielema and succeed until Chryst arrived, Aranda and Canada.

I would not mind Canada getting the run game coordinator position (or QB coach) with the Packers so he could go nuts (like the Nebraska championship game) with the play design. Mr. Jet Sweep would be a breath of fresh air. Andy Reid has stolen from him, Packers should pay him for it. I'd bet he could help in the red zone too.

I am not sure he is head coach material. But I saw some LSU versus Alabama (I think) and watching the LSU offense it was clear that the problem wasn't Canada when they fired him.

I know Matt Canada wasn't with the U for that long, but he's been my favorite playcaller of all time. Better than Chryst, or anybody they had. SERIOUS game planning and creativitiy !!!

call_me_ishmael
11-14-2018, 09:10 PM
I am not saying Matt Canada should be coach or anything like that, I just thought it was interesting. I want to bring the best elements of college football creativity to the Packers. They had a once-in-a-lifetime QB. Time to try something totally new and make him be engaged from scratch. That's the key to unlocking another super bowl in my uninformed opinion.

pbmax
11-14-2018, 09:15 PM
I know Matt Canada wasn't with the U for that long, but he's been my favorite playcaller of all time. Better than Chryst, or anybody they had. SERIOUS game planning and creativitiy !!!

He's had some bumps in the road. Apparently spent the year bumping heads with Bielema over the game plans. Went hog wild in the Championship game in defiance of BB and then got too conservative in the bowl game.

But the guy is serious about trying to find matchups to get easier yards and McCarthy needs that.

Pugger
11-15-2018, 07:30 AM

Are you happy with Rodgers' play this season? I don't think less passing is the answer but attempting higher percentage passes would help. We don't need Rodgers to ignore an open receiver underneath and throw the damn ball 20 yards down field on 3rd and short. Rodgers becomes more dangerous when he gets into a rhythm and throwing short passes and slants can get this passing offense going. Then we can take a shot down field.

texaspackerbacker
11-15-2018, 08:43 AM
I've never not been happy with Rodgers' passing. Of all the many qualities that make a great QB, which one is the most important? I'd say fewest interceptions, and nobody in the history of the NFL is better at getting the job done in terms of completions, yardage, and TDs with even close to as few interceptions.

Detractors whine about holding the ball too long or throwing the ball deep instead of underneath to supposedly open receivers; I'll go with that man's judgment over anybody. If we had a better O Line, he'd be better yet, but we don't. If he was completely healthy, maybe he wouldn't need to throw the ball away sometimes - he's getting back to that. If he had excellent receivers ....... that wish is coming true this year. If he had a RB who other teams really needed to worry about ....... we just might be there on that one too.

Hell yeah, I'm happy - and expecting to get happier and happier this season. Anybody not appreciating Aaron Rodgers and the Packers long term winning ways has something wrong with them - IMO.

pbmax
11-15-2018, 09:25 AM
I've never not been happy with Rodgers' passing. Of all the many qualities that make a great QB, which one is the most important? I'd say fewest interceptions, and nobody in the history of the NFL is better at getting the job done in terms of completions, yardage, and TDs with even close to as few interceptions.

Detractors whine about holding the ball too long or throwing the ball deep instead of underneath to supposedly open receivers; I'll go with that man's judgment over anybody. If we had a better O Line, he'd be better yet, but we don't. If he was completely healthy, maybe he wouldn't need to throw the ball away sometimes - he's getting back to that. If he had excellent receivers ....... that wish is coming true this year. If he had a RB who other teams really needed to worry about ....... we just might be there on that one too.

Hell yeah, I'm happy - and expecting to get happier and happier this season. Anybody not appreciating Aaron Rodgers and the Packers long term winning ways has something wrong with them - IMO.

His completion percentage is way down the last two years. Especially this year.

texaspackerbacker
11-15-2018, 02:46 PM
His completion percentage is way down the last two years. Especially this year.

Down all the way to 60%. Bart Starr's career completion percentage was 57%; Brett Favre's was 62%. I would suggest this decrease for Rodgers is insignificant, injury-related, and likely to improve as his health improves.

mraynrand
11-15-2018, 03:01 PM
Down all the way to 60%. Bart Starr's career completion percentage was 57%; Brett Favre's was 62%. I would suggest this decrease for Rodgers is insignificant, injury-related, and likely to improve as his health improves.

Can you explain how it's insignificant?

texaspackerbacker
11-15-2018, 04:47 PM
Can you explain how it's insignificant?

60% is still a damn good percentage. The decrease undoubtedly reflects a few more throwaways than in the past - probably injury related and a far better alternative than putting it up for grabs if nobody is open and he's under pressure. I'd be a helluva lot more concerned if he was throwing interceptions - wouldn't you?

mraynrand
11-15-2018, 05:03 PM
60% is still a damn good percentage. The decrease undoubtedly reflects a few more throwaways than in the past - probably injury related and a far better alternative than putting it up for grabs if nobody is open and he's under pressure.

It's hard to see it as insignificant when he was #4 in comp % in 2016 and now ranks 30th in the NFL, just above Beathard, Rosen, Darnold, and Allen. It is decidedly not damn good. The only reason it isn't catastrophic is that they've had more attempts to compensate. He's middle of the pack in almost everything else, so it must be part of the general decline in his game. It doesn't seem mysterious to me, recovering from two injuries.

I'd be a helluva lot more concerned if he was throwing interceptions - wouldn't you?

No, lots of interceptions are a damn good thing

MadScientist
11-15-2018, 05:07 PM
60% is still a damn good percentage. The decrease undoubtedly reflects a few more throwaways than in the past - probably injury related and a far better alternative than putting it up for grabs if nobody is open and he's under pressure. I'd be a helluva lot more concerned if he was throwing interceptions - wouldn't you?

He ranks 30 out of 34 qualifying QBs. That's not good. It may have been good decades ago, but not now. It puts the Packers at a disadvantage to have a lower completion percent than the opponent, unless there's a significant advantage in other stats. Rodgers is middle of the pack in most other statistics. The question is how much is it Rodgers fault and how much is it MM's fault.

beveaux1
11-15-2018, 05:40 PM
There are lots of reasons for his significantly lower completion percentage. The knee injury really has caused many more throw-aways. The lack of mobility and general poor play of the right side of the offensive line may have contributed to errant passes and not having enough time to find his 3rd and 4th reads. Play structure has not significantly changed in the past 7 years and our receiving corps may not be winning the one on one battles ( this reminds me of the year Nelson tore his ACL). This could cause more throwaways and errant passes. But I believe the top reason for Rodgers' problems are the losses of Nelson, Allison, and Cobb for significant amounts of time this year. Rodgers expects receivers to be in particular places, to move towards him, away from him, to the right or left based on game conditions and it takes experience to know these spots. The only receiver that does is Adams and he's caught 8 TD passes and many first down catches. Rodgers will not throw interceptions, so he throws a pass that no one can catch.

I expect this will improve as the year goes on and the young receivers and Graham go where Rodgers wants them.

pbmax
11-15-2018, 05:57 PM

tex, god bless your optimism. But the worst QBs in the NFL average 60% now. Its not good. Its not Bart Starr's era.

Sparkey
11-16-2018, 10:45 AM
Sherman got Favre calmed down quite a bit after the bombs away campaign of Sherm Lewis and Ray Rhodes in 1999. Favre took the emphasis of the running game pretty well. I have no complaints about that part of Sherman.

What they couldn't help was Favre getting old and impatient. And cold. Never seen a player more miserable than Favre in Chicago that year.

Remember the video of Favre in the tunnel at Lambeau prior to the start of the NFC Championship game against the Giants ? The look on his face was "I dont want to play in this shit". Told my wife they would lose before kickoff cause Favre didnt want to be there.

pbmax
11-17-2018, 02:35 PM
Future Packer coach in some capacity, Matt Canada, is interim coach for Maryland and is leading tOSU on a lot of turnovers, big plays and a hole roller turnover that spilled into the end zone for a Turtle TD.

Problem is that tOSU has been a knife through hot butter on offense this half and their is 1:46 left.

edit: And of course, a 47 yard KO return.

Bretsky
11-17-2018, 02:52 PM
Future Packer coach in some capacity, Matt Canada, is interim coach for Maryland and is leading tOSU on a lot of turnovers, big plays and a hole roller turnover that spilled into the end zone for a Turtle TD.

Problem is that tOSU has been a knife through hot butter on offense this half and their is 1:46 left.

edit: And of course, a 47 yard KO return.

LOVE MATT CANADA

for this reason along he'll never coach in GB

pbmax
11-17-2018, 03:09 PM
LOVE MATT CANADA

for this reason along he'll never coach in GB

Maryland had matched tOSU touchdown in overtime and went for 2, which made a lot of sense. Maryland D hadn't stopped tOSU offense since the pregame stretch.

Called a rollout with a shovel pass and three WR in end zone. One WR was wide open, throw was wide of him, game over. 1 foot to the left and its upset of the year.

Michigan will do some damage to this tOSU team.

Pugger
11-19-2018, 06:24 AM
Maryland had matched tOSU touchdown in overtime and went for 2, which made a lot of sense. Maryland D hadn't stopped tOSU offense since the pregame stretch.

Called a rollout with a shovel pass and three WR in end zone. One WR was wide open, throw was wide of him, game over. 1 foot to the left and its upset of the year.

Michigan will do some damage to this tOSU team.

I didn't agree with going for 2 there. It wasn't like the next OT period was sudden death.

pbmax
11-19-2018, 08:07 AM
I didn't agree with going for 2 there. It wasn't like the next OT period was sudden death.

Ohio State's defense had stopped Maryland in the 2nd half. Maryland wasn't going to stop OSU. I think they had one non scoring drive in the second half?

Too bad, Canada has a knack with play calling.

pbmax
11-19-2018, 08:35 AM
Jim Trotter @JimTrotter_NFL
Privately, one Vikings coach said of Fangio: “He’s the best defensive coordinator in the game, hands down. They don’t do a lot, but his guys are always well-prepared and in the right spots.”

pbmax
11-19-2018, 09:42 AM
What position can teams prevent individuals from interviewing for, Head Coach or GM?

GM is final say, right? But can they prevent you interviewing for an HC job?

mraynrand
11-19-2018, 10:09 AM
Privately, one Vikings coach said of Fangio: “He’s the best defensive coordinator in the game, hands down. They don’t do a lot, but his guys are always well-prepared and in the right spots.”

He sounds like the "A.J. Hawk of coaches"

Fangio's coaching has improved dramatically since the Bears Signed Mack.

Fritz Shurmur also improved with the signings of Reggie, Sean, Santana, and Gilbert

Remember how Brian Billick became an offensive genius after the Vikings signed Cunningham and drafted Moss?

pbmax
11-19-2018, 10:12 AM
He sounds like the "A.J. Hawk of coaches"

Fangio's coaching has improved dramatically since the Bears Signed Mack.

Fritz Shurmur also improved with the signings of Reggie, Sean, Santana, and Gilbert

Remember how Brian Billick became an offensive genius after the Vikings signed Cunningham and drafted Moss?

That is my one reservation about him, that he seems player dependent like McCarthy.

But so is Pettine. He needs man to man corners, prefers not to play zone and wants a pass rush out of the front four.

I am just saying if you want one of these guys, it might as well be Fangio.

Anti-Polar Bear
11-19-2018, 10:15 AM

Fun fact: Fangio got Jim "Playoffs!?!" Mora fired. Irsay wanted Mora to fire Fangio after a season in which the Colts D allowed 30 ppg. Mora refused and he and his entire staff got canned.

One word and one word only explains why Fangio is suddenly looking so pretty: Mack.

pbmax
11-19-2018, 10:34 AM
Fun fact: Fangio got Jim "Playoffs!?!" Mora fired. Irsay wanted Mora to fire Fangio after a season in which the Colts D allowed 30 ppg. Mora refused and he and his entire staff got canned.

One word and one word only explains why Fangio is suddenly looking so pretty: Mack.

So Hicks and Floyd have nothing to do with it huh?

In Indy, Fangio's previous units were 4th and 7th for points. If form holds, he will have had 7 defenses in the top 10 for points allowed out of 23 years coordinating.

Problem is, like Capers, when it goes bad, it goes bad. He doesn't has one Top 11-20 finish. All the rest are bottom third of the league.

Smidgeon
11-19-2018, 10:49 AM
What position can teams prevent individuals from interviewing for, Head Coach or GM?

GM is final say, right? But can they prevent you interviewing for an HC job?

No. But they can prevent you from interviewing if you already have "Assistant HC" in your title OR if your team is still in the playoffs. Once the season is over, they can't block anymore.

Anti-Polar Bear
11-19-2018, 10:56 AM
So Hicks and Floyd have nothing to do with it huh?

In Indy, Fangio's previous units were 4th and 7th for points. If form holds, he will have had 7 defenses in the top 10 for points allowed out of 23 years coordinating.

Problem is, like Capers, when it goes bad, it goes bad. He doesn't has one Top 11-20 finish. All the rest are bottom third of the league.

Floyd and Hicks are seeing daylight b/c of Mack.

Doesn't matter who is coordinating the Packer D. Capers, Pettine, Fangio, the ghost of Lombardi. Same subpar results regardless with the current personal.

pbmax
11-19-2018, 11:04 AM
No. But they can prevent you from interviewing if you already have "Assistant HC" in your title OR if your team is still in the playoffs. Once the season is over, they can't block anymore.

I think assistant HC means only they can prevent an interview for any position except HC.

But I could be wrong. The article talking about Free Agents (see here) was also talking HC. Mentioned Hoody Jr., Arians and Toub. But said DeFillipo might be out of reach because of his contract.

Carolina_Packer
11-19-2018, 11:11 AM
How about Joe Lombardi as the next HC? Full circle, baby!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Lombardi

pbmax
11-19-2018, 11:11 AM
Floyd and Hicks are seeing daylight b/c of Mack.

Doesn't matter who is coordinating the Packer D. Capers, Pettine, Fangio, the ghost of Lombardi. Same subpar results regardless with the current personal.

I mean yeah, look at all the times Mack was double team last night.

call_me_ishmael
11-19-2018, 11:13 AM
Didn't the Bears want to trade Leonard Floyd before the season? I seem to recall one of the big national writers saying he was available. I'd get in on that if the cost was affordable. He may be skinny but he's young and athletic.

Joemailman
11-19-2018, 12:04 PM

Will his stock be slipping? Vikes offense is just average, and with pretty good talent IMO. And they haven't run the ball any more than the Packers.

pbmax
11-19-2018, 12:15 PM
Will his stock be slipping? Vikes offense is just average, and with pretty good talent IMO. And they haven't run the ball any more than the Packers.

Clearly Frank Reich was the right move and the brains behind the Eagles offense! :lol:

It has nothing to do with the QB at all.

pbmax
11-19-2018, 12:17 PM
Here is some speculation that is devoid of ANY reporting:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000988895/article/aaron-rodgers-mike-mccarthy-at-odds-over-offense

"Mike McCarthy is certainly now on the hot seat for Green Bay," Rapoport said. "He needs to close strong, it feels like, to keep his job in Green Bay. Obviously, one of the longest tenured coaches in the NFL and that is all in doubt.

"And there's a couple reasons why. One of them does involve the disconnect with Aaron Rodgers -- the tension there regarding the direction of the offense. Rodgers has been pretty vocal about his frustration with play-calling and the lack of creativity was there on Thursday night. That, of course, is something [Packers] CEO Mark Murphy will have to make a big decision on at the end of the year."

pbmax
11-25-2018, 10:13 AM
Mike will have some competition for the Browns HC job.

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet
From @NFLGameDay: Retired coach Bruce Arians tells me he'd come back for just one job -- the #Browns. .... Meanwhile, #Jaguars coach Doug Marrone isn't going anywhere, despite the team's losing streak.

Fritz
11-25-2018, 12:44 PM

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet
From @NFLGameDay: Retired coach Bruce Arians tells me he'd come back for just one job -- the #Browns. .... Meanwhile, #Jaguars coach Doug Marrone isn't going anywhere, despite the team's losing streak.

If you watched Michigan- OSU, you know you don't want Harbaugh. Period.

Bretsky
11-25-2018, 01:28 PM

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet

Arians prolly wants to come back for any job that is available; that is just the one now :)

My gut says he'd come back for coaching AROD too

call_me_ishmael
11-25-2018, 11:09 PM
No I don't think he would. I wouldn't want to be the next guy. Seriously. They are playing for 2020 or 2021 to contend in the best case. If that goes wrong, you're out.

They're either going to be incredibly successful or exactly what they are now. It all depends on if ARod will work on fundamentals and accept coaching, or if he's just done and a shell of himself.

Joemailman
11-28-2018, 09:25 AM

This is my new favorite guy. Think maybe Rodgers would look at what the Chiefs have done offensively and be willing to listen to this guy. And Rodgers' presence might help lure Bieniemy here. I will go out on a limb and suggest that Bieniemy would do a better job of utilizing Aaron Jones than MM has.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/11/21/nfl-head-coaching-candidates-2019-openings-defelippo-mcdaniels-riley-saban-condoleezza-rice

ERIC BIENIEMY, CHIEFS OC
Andy Reid’s last two OCs, Doug Pederson and Matt Nagy, are both running their own teams now. Seven of Reid’s former assistants are currently NFL head coaches, a track record that speaks both to Reid’s ability to mentor young coaches and to push for them to land opportunities of their own. Bieniemy has also been linked to the recently open job at his alma mater, Colorado.

bobblehead
11-28-2018, 09:27 AM
The MM coaching tree

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

Or should I say flag pole.

pbmax
11-28-2018, 09:39 AM
Isn't Bienemy in year one as OC?

pbmax
11-28-2018, 09:41 AM

OK, fair amount of NFL experience on the Offensive side.

As coach:
Colorado (2001–2002)
Running backs coach

UCLA (2003–2005)
Running backs coach

Minnesota Vikings (2006–2010)
Running backs coach

Colorado (2011–2012)
Offensive coordinator

Kansas City Chiefs (2013–2017)
Running backs coach

Kansas City Chiefs (2018–present)
Offensive coordinator

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Bieniemy

Joemailman
11-28-2018, 09:46 AM

Yes. He was Chiefs RB coach for 5 previous years. Before that he was OC at Colorado. Before that he helped develop Adrian Peterson as Vikings RB coach. :-)

Pugger
11-29-2018, 06:35 AM
On another forum I post on there is one guy touting Matt Campbell, the HC at Iowa State. Anybody here know anything about him?

Smidgeon
11-29-2018, 08:07 AM
On another forum I post on there is one guy touting Matt Campbell, the HC at Iowa State. Anybody here know anything about him?

All I know is that if he can bring the team at least to consistently above average, he's doing a heck of a job coaching. Iowa State doesn't have the recruiting or financial commitment to athletics to get the football team anywhere near power house status.

Joemailman
11-29-2018, 08:17 AM
Campbell has been a HC at Toledo and Iowa State. No NFL experience. He may be a fine coach, but I'd be very surprised if Murphy went in this direction.

pbmax
11-29-2018, 08:28 AM

Yes, a lot of Football Twitter is talking about him. But as Joe said, its a lot of college people talking and not many pro guys.

pbmax
11-29-2018, 08:29 AM
When you try to split the child, the result is that you hire Hue Jackson and Todd Haley and then are left unsure who is running the offense.

https://twitter.com/RichEisenShow/status/1067889817252503557

Anti-Polar Bear
11-29-2018, 10:15 AM
Campbell? He used to post here at Packerrats.

Just trade McCarthy to the Browns and bring in J-Mac. Trade Jmac to NE for a boatload of picks once belichick retires.

mraynrand
11-29-2018, 02:01 PM
When you try to split the child, the result is that you hire Hue Jackson and Todd Haley and then are left unsure who is running the offense.

https://twitter.com/RichEisenShow/status/1067889817252503557

That was a total cluster. It's instructive for the Packers in this way: I think a lot of us believe that Stubby should give up the play calling to an OC. It would be a nice transition if he could bring in a hot shot position coach to be OC (Maybe even steal Cleveland's current acting OC if Cleveland doesn't manage to keep him). This would be a healthy transition because if you are getting stale, there's nothing better than bringing in fresh blood. But you have to surrender some control to make it work, and at this point, I'm not sure Stubby can do it. And if he couldn't, it would look a lot like Cleveland. If the Packers can't bring in new ideas that way, I don't see how they can innovate without canning him.

call_me_ishmael
12-03-2018, 12:44 AM
I just don't see any way the next coach isn't Harbaugh. I'll intentionally leave the name off to give me some wiggle room 'cause I'd take either. Unless the two premier young coaches (SF, LA) can give you a great name, then who's better?

Sure, he can't beat OSU, but college is different than the pros. He has been *very* successful everywhere he's been. Those critics seem to ignore the dramatic improvement Harbaugh has made compared to his predecessors ie Brady Hoke, Rich Rod, etc.

I just don't see how you can go with some hot shot young coach who has never done it and expect Aaron freaking Rodgers to listen and respond. He tuned out the world's most renowned QB guru - they need an even bigger name to come in and reign him in. Harbaugh wears out his welcome but you don't need or want him here 10 years. You want him to get you a super bowl in 3 years and build a tough team.

If it's not Jimmy Harbaugh, then I guess my current pecking order is:

1. Jim Harbaugh
2a. Hoodie Jr (I think his offensive system totally changes GB and ARod for the better - if ARod runs it!)
2b. John Harbaugh
3. Tom Herman (Won't happen, makes too much money)
4. Lincoln Riley (Won't happen, will make too much money)
5. David Shaw (Won't happen, makes too much money)
6. Matt Lafleur (Could go way up depending on what Kyle Shanahan has to say about him)
7. John DeFilipo (Eh, this guy just doesn't light my fire but that of course could change. His work with the QB in Philly is impressive but why would Rodgers respect him?)

I just don't see why Rodgers would respect a slew of those dudes. Here's a name that I haven't seen come up at all. What about former Packers WR coach James Franklin?

Bossman641
12-03-2018, 06:25 AM
Bruce Arians

Joemailman
12-03-2018, 06:57 AM
Eric Bieniemy. Pat Mahomes' OC this year, and before that RB coach for Chiefs and Vikings (at start of Peterson's career). He would understand what a weapon he has in Aaron Jones.

http://www.espn.com/blog/kansas-city-chiefs/post/_/id/25048/is-chiefs-eric-bieniemy-the-next-star-andy-reid-offensive-coordinator

Reid, who believed the Chiefs would lose then-offensive coordinator Matt Nagy at the end of the season, began grooming Bieniemy last season to eventually become the coordinator.

Part of that grooming was getting Bieniemy to expand his scope from just the running backs, the running game and the backs’ involvement in the passing game. Bieniemy had some experience with that, though it didn’t go particularly well.

He was the offensive coordinator at Colorado in 2011 and 2012, but the Buffaloes won a total of just four games.

“The thing I started focusing on is just seeing the bigger picture, understanding what the quarterbacks are looking at, how they’re seeing it, what their progression is, just basically taking the big picture of everything," Bieniemy said. "Just basically taking notes from a different perspective has helped. It helped a huge amount."

Being Reid’s offensive coordinator with the Chiefs has been a golden ticket. The coordinator before Nagy, Doug Pederson, is in his third season as head coach of the Philadelphia Eagles and now a Super Bowl winner.

Bieniemy’s football background is different. Pederson and Nagy each played quarterback and were quarterback coaches for Reid before becoming coordinators.

Bieniemy, 49, is also older than Pederson was when he became a head coach (47) or than Nagy is now (40). But if the Chiefs continue to win and score points at a league-leading rate, and Mahomes continues with his MVP-level play, Bieniemy could well be Reid’s next coordinator to move on as a head coach.

“He has a great appreciation for being able to run the football and being able to take somebody’s will from them by running the football," Childress said. “The biggest growth he’ll have is he’ll have to decide what he wants to hang his hat on as far as throwing the football. But he’ll be smart enough to know what he’s got as far as talent and smart enough to know what will work."

pbmax
12-03-2018, 08:13 AM
I don't think I want Bieniemy precisely because his exposure to the passing game is so limited as a coach.

He'd have to wow my in an interview with his concepts and my calendar invite to the interview team hasn't arrived.

Harbaugh has a similar problem. His offensive revolution stopped abruptly in Kaepernick Year 3 I believe. I don't know that he has the chops. However, Harbaugh can probably get a passing game coordinator with those chops.

Cheesehead Craig
12-03-2018, 08:43 AM
Have been and still on the Bieniemy train here.

Harbaugh is not leaving Michigan. Plus, Jimmy can't adapt his scheme. He banks on one thing and if you take it away, he's got nothing. Kaep-led offense did one thing really well, but teams adjusted and then was stopped. At Michigan, if you can stop the run, you beat him. He's had a track record of not having a good passing attack, which shows me that he simply can't get that coaching talent to come to him. Big pass on that in today's pass-happy NFL.

run pMc
12-03-2018, 09:28 AM
None of those coaches thrill me. Don't trust Bienemy's chops yet, certainly not as a HC. McDaniels seems like a greasy jerk and he's sticking around for the NE job post-hoody. DeFillippo has all these weapons and Zimmer's defense and they're .500 and not very innovative IMO. The Harbaughs aren't offensive minded coaches either, and going mostly on their names at this point. Switching from McCarthy to either Harbaugh would be treading water at best.
College coaches don't have great track records as NFL HC, and most of the really successful ones are very well paid and treated like royalty...so unless it's a career goal it's unlikely to happen. The NFL track records of Nick Saban, Chip Kelly and Bobby Petrino don't foster confidence.

The Shadow
12-03-2018, 10:35 AM
Out-of-the-Box choice to consider : Vic Fangio + one of the young offensive minds from the current innovative teams as OC.

pbmax
12-03-2018, 11:03 AM
Out-of-the-Box choice to consider : Vic Fangio + one of the young offensive minds from the current innovative teams as OC.

I love his rep, but his Defenses always succeed when their front 4 is pretty dominant. Packers have drafted that only one time in my memory, 2009-10.

Earlier in 1990s, they signed three FAs to do it and an waiver guy to do it (Reggie, et al.)

mraynrand
12-03-2018, 11:06 AM
I love his rep, but his Defenses always succeed when their front 4 is pretty dominant.

Tom Coughlin smiled

call_me_ishmael
12-03-2018, 11:17 AM
What about somebody like Tony Romo? I doubt he'd be interested since he has a super cozy gig but I'd make the call and see if he wanted to coach his hometown team.

What about Matt Hasselbeck? I think he wants to get into coaching.

call_me_ishmael
12-03-2018, 11:31 AM
Does any of this make McDaniels a lock for the Green Bay job? Not in the slightest. In fact, some who know him well suggested Sunday night that McDaniels still has a lot to learn about the Packers’ structure, which has undergone a revamping that has left CEO Mark Murphy far more involved in the decision-making than ever before. While Murphy has always been the chief decider in the franchise, league sources told Yahoo Sports he has become more involved with some of the granular details in roster-building and contracts and to some extent, even personnel building. With that deepened involvement, he will stand as the direct boss to both the head coach and general manager Brian Gutekunst.

That significantly undermines any idea Gutekunst will be picking the next head coach on his own. If anything, he’ll have a role in the search and analysis, but the ultimate decision will be Murphy’s. And those close to McDaniels have said he has already been advised to stay away from teams with that kind of structure, where the head coach and general manager are on different platforms and reporting directly into some element of ownership that is deeply involved in operations.

Yikes. Power structure already scaring candidates away. Murphy - what is you doin'??

denverYooper
12-03-2018, 11:37 AM
I do not want McDaniels.

mraynrand
12-03-2018, 11:41 AM
What about somebody like Tony Romo? I doubt he'd be interested since he has a super cozy gig but I'd make the call and see if he wanted to coach his hometown team.

What about Matt Hasselbeck? I think he wants to get into coaching.

Maybe in 5-10 years, if these guys really want to coach. You have to earn it - you have to be able to show you can put in the hours and withstand the grind. Figurehead coaches are a huge risk - you might get a gem, but you also might get a guy who doesn't know what it takes, isn't willing to put in the hours, or just get a guy who needs years of experience that he would have been better served getting at a lower level on the way up.

denverYooper
12-03-2018, 11:43 AM

I like your thinking on hiring a defense-oriented HC.

Most opinion now seems to revolve around an offense-minded HC "fixing" the Packers offense. I get it, a lot of people love the idea of Rodgers being re-tuned to a new offensive system, but that will happen anyway.

Fosco33
12-03-2018, 11:46 AM
I think we go from Reid tree (Bieniemy / Kc) or young offensive ‘guru’ like a zac taylor / LAR.

Fritz
12-03-2018, 11:46 AM
Have been and still on the Bieniemy train here.

Harbaugh is not leaving Michigan. Plus, Jimmy can't adapt his scheme. He banks on one thing and if you take it away, he's got nothing. Kaep-led offense did one thing really well, but teams adjusted and then was stopped. At Michigan, if you can stop the run, you beat him. He's had a track record of not having a good passing attack, which shows me that he simply can't get that coaching talent to come to him. Big pass on that in today's pass-happy NFL.

You nailed it on Harbaugh. He still thinks his teams can just out-tough everyone else, and while that works against Indiana or Maryland, it doesn't work in the real games. Bringing him in would be akin to the decade in which the Packers flirted with George Perles from Michigan State. A one-trick pony.

Don't do it, Murphy. Please don't.

Carolina_Packer
12-03-2018, 11:56 AM
Does Dan Devine have any offspring that would be good coaching candidates?

I know Joe Lombardi now works for the Saints.

Let's go full circle.

mraynrand
12-03-2018, 11:56 AM
You nailed it on Harbaugh. He still thinks his teams can just out-tough everyone else, and while that works against Indiana or Maryland, it doesn't work in the real games. Bringing him in would be akin to the decade in which the Packers flirted with George Perles from Michigan State. A one-trick pony.

I think hairball is a decent coach, but I think his approach doesn't work long term in the NFL. But man, those were some glorious years watching SF versus Sea - that was some gut-punching, knock the snot out of you football. Just most NFL guys can't sustain that intensity - players begin to tune you out.

(Re: college and MI - I think Hairball is on the right track. He seems to have rebuilt recruiting that was lacking - I hear he has re-established dominance over MI State in the in-state/nearby recruitment which is essential for a solid roster. To compete for national championships, he has to start winning recruitment for the studs that OSU/Alabama/Clemson always get.)

call_me_ishmael
12-03-2018, 12:00 PM

Doesn't work in real games like NFL games where he was tremendously successful??

Rutnstrut
12-03-2018, 12:04 PM
McDaniels would be great imo. I doubt he would want to come to the dumpster fire that GB is now. The first thing the Packers have to do to lure in a top new coach. Prove that Rodgers will play within the system and put team first.

mraynrand
12-03-2018, 12:16 PM
McDaniels would be great imo. I doubt he would want to come to the dumpster fire that GB is now.

I think this is pretty inaccurate.

VegasPackFan
12-03-2018, 12:21 PM
McDaniels would be great IF they can determine he has no designs to eventually be the HC in NE after BB retires. Brady said that Rodgers would throw for 7,000 yards if he was in the Pats system, did he not? ARod would certainly respect what he's done with Brady in the latter stages of his career. He has the right combination of Offensive chops along with experience and respect in the league to right this ship. But would he stick around?

texaspackerbacker
12-03-2018, 12:31 PM
No way in hell I want Harbaugh (either of them) as Packer head coach. Knowing the Packers, the next coach will be somebody nobody expects. Who among us expected McCarthy 13 years ago? Who expected a guy named Lombardi back in the 50s?

I care more about the competence, attitude, and state of mind of a new coach than a specific name.

pbmax
12-03-2018, 12:46 PM
Does Dan Devine have any offspring that would be good coaching candidates?

I know Joe Lombardi now works for the Saints.

Let's go full circle.

John Hadl would punch some players to let them know they were getting cut. That's the kind of toughness the Packers need.

Seriously, put this book on your Christmas/Hanukah/Kwanzaa/Festivus wish list. But don't get the audiobook: https://www.amazon.com/Football-Buck-Crazy-Crazier-Demise/dp/0544454383

pbmax
12-03-2018, 12:47 PM
Tom Coughlin smiled

He needed that after the year his current outfit is having.

pbmax
12-03-2018, 12:48 PM
Yikes. Power structure already scaring candidates away. Murphy - what is you doin'??

Partial,

LINK?!

pbmax
12-03-2018, 12:54 PM
I like your thinking on hiring a defense-oriented HC.

Most opinion now seems to revolve around an offense-minded HC "fixing" the Packers offense. I get it, a lot of people love the idea of Rodgers being re-tuned to a new offensive system, but that will happen anyway.

This idea is probably sound. But the prospect of a former DC as head coach having a say in the offense just makes me think the wildcat will make a comeback. I think I might be breaking out in hives.

Who are some former DCs who have made peace with high flying offenses?

Belichick, but are there others? Zimmer to an extent. But he does seem really invested in running well too.

denverYooper
12-03-2018, 01:09 PM
This idea is probably sound. But the prospect of a former DC as head coach having a say in the offense just makes me think the wildcat will make a comeback. I think I might be breaking out in hives.

Who are some former DCs who have made peace with high flying offenses?

Belichick, but are there others? Zimmer to an extent. But he does seem really invested in running well too.

Mike Tomlin

John Fox in Denver.

call_me_ishmael
12-03-2018, 01:15 PM
Partial,

LINK?!

https://sports.yahoo.com/josh-mcdaniels-candidacy-look-like-replace-packers-mike-mccarthy-052613311.html

Here's an older one that's interesting too. https://sports.yahoo.com/report-packers-could-eye-josh-150219057.html

pbmax
12-03-2018, 01:16 PM
McDaniels would be great IF they can determine he has no designs to eventually be the HC in NE after BB retires. Brady said that Rodgers would throw for 7,000 yards if he was in the Pats system, did he not? ARod would certainly respect what he's done with Brady in the latter stages of his career. He has the right combination of Offensive chops along with experience and respect in the league to right this ship. But would he stick around?

If he had the Patriots institutional knowledge of defenses. So unless the tape library is coming with Josh, I am unsure about any Patriot coordinator.

pbmax
12-03-2018, 01:18 PM
Mike Tomlin

John Fox in Denver.

OK.

pbmax
12-03-2018, 01:35 PM
https://sports.yahoo.com/josh-mcdaniels-candidacy-look-like-replace-packers-mike-mccarthy-052613311.html

Here's an older one that's interesting too. https://sports.yahoo.com/report-packers-could-eye-josh-150219057.html

OK. But that Gutekunst and McDaniel have done their homework on each other seems unlikely. Gute left the search for the 49ers when they were not giving clear lines of authority. Who knows who he wanted as his coach.

But this kind of speculation is rampant, as JSO were openly speculating about college coaches as Gutekunst was a former college scout and Murphy worked for Northwestern.

denverYooper
12-03-2018, 02:38 PM
OK.

I think generally I was imagining Payton Manning's career, several years with Dungy and another stint with Fox. But even that only netted 1 Super Bowl win.

It wasn't until Von Miller's ascendancy that Manning was dragged to the 2nd one, and that was under Kubiak.

So I guess the bottom line is they need to tank and draft a stud edge rusher to really get another shot. Maybe that's why they made Philbin interim HC :laugh:

Deputy Nutz
12-03-2018, 02:46 PM
I would love to see Jim Harbaugh sucker punch Arod!

pbmax
12-03-2018, 02:51 PM
I think generally I was imagining Payton Manning's career, several years with Dungy and another stint with Fox. But even that only netted 1 Super Bowl win.

It wasn't until Von Miller's ascendancy that Manning was dragged to the 2nd one, and that was under Kubiak.

So I guess the bottom line is they need to tank and draft a stud edge rusher to really get another shot. Maybe that's why they made Philbin interim HC :laugh:

Given this:

mike freeman @mikefreemanNFL
Jeff Saturday, on ESPN, on his last year in GB with Aaron Rodgers: "...when you'd be in the huddle, and Mike McCarthy would make the play call, you could see Aaron's frustration. Whether it be the eye roll..."
Said a lot of the players questioned the play calls.

I think Rodgers should be the OC like Manning was.

pbmax
12-03-2018, 03:18 PM
Murphy claimed his years in football made him an NFL man. Also cited college experience hiring coaches, including football coaches.

Besides Pat Fitzgerald, did he hire anyone of note at Colgate or Northwestern?

pbmax
12-03-2018, 03:39 PM
Tom Silverstein @TomSilverstein
T Bryan Bulaga said negativity about McCarthy was unwarranted. “You knew you were going to be in it every year here. Plus, he’s a great man. It was an honor to play for him.”

Tom Silverstein @TomSilverstein
#Packers players saying they found out about McCarthy firing on Twitter and TV. McCarthy did not get a chance to address the team.

Karley Marotta @Karley_Marotta
All football aside, I always admired Mike McCarthy as a person.Nearly 4 years ago he took the time to come to my fathers funeral in Milwaukee. At training camp this year,he walked with me discussing fond memories of my dad. He was a bright light in dark times. I wish him the best

Wilde And Tausch @WildeAndTausch
Kuhn: He’s a man of principle and he’s a man of pride…. Even if he felt he was going to be relieved of his duties at the end of the season, he would have pushed for the #Packers because that’s who he is.

Pugger
12-03-2018, 03:49 PM
I would love to see Jim Harbaugh sucker punch Arod!

Because...?

mraynrand
12-03-2018, 03:51 PM
Jeff Saturday, on ESPN, on his last year in GB with Aaron Rodgers: "...when you'd be in the huddle, and Mike McCarthy would make the play call, you could see Aaron's frustration. Whether it be the eye roll..."
Said a lot of the players questioned the play calls.

This worries me far more about Rodgers than Stubby, especially now that Stubbys gone. This non verbal crap is for high schoolers and even not then.

pbmax
12-03-2018, 04:05 PM
Rob Demovsky said this on the Dan Patrick Show:

He opened with the observation that this was a Browns like move firing the coach, ironic considering the Packers brain trust in Cleveland. I suppose this is in reference to an in season firing after a lackluster stretch like that which got Hue canned earlier. OK, whatever. Bad joke that no one got.

Then the interview:

What role did and will Aaron Rodgers play in the GBP coaching situation?

Well, he's got to have a guy he can work with and the coach has to be able to work with him. That was basically the gist of my piece that's up on ESPN.com now. The pressure is now, a little bit, back on Rodgers, because right or wrong, its perceived that he orchestrated this. Look, the relationship with McCarthy wasn't what it had been, they did win a lot of games together. They did have conflict, but they were always able to win; but once you couldn't win, the conflict became, probably, the reason that they didn't.

So conflict was good for, or indifferent to, success. But when success left, the reason it left was because conflict.

It's no coincidence that other guys who do radio (Wilde - who is no bulldog and Heller - who is a complete homer but almost a bulldog) asked actual point blank questions and got the best answers of the press conference. Demovsky is a terrible writer and thinker.

Let me paint Rob a picture that is devoid of conflict:
As the talent dwindled, Rodgers did not know how to make McCarthy's offense work any longer. The whole Rodgers offense, that kept the offense off life support for years, couldn't work with just Adams and rookies and the corpse of Jimmy Graham.

Could the pure unadulterated McCarthy offense still work? Why don't you ask the last few Seahawk and Browns teams about that vaunted Holmgren offense.

woodbuck27
12-03-2018, 04:07 PM
Whomever the Packers bring in he must be on the same page with the Packers GM and excited to work with whatever is left of Aaron Rodgers.

This season has made it very obvious that the Packers have been 'stuck on stall'. It's high time to go into overhaul mode and to rebuild the Packers at the WR and TE position. To readdress the Roster and the OL, WR, TE and Special Teams. To get more on the DL and ( again) LBer positions.

To seriously address the reason we see so many players falling to serious injury year after year.

It won't matter what we have as a HC unless we see Goot clean house and acquire an upgrade of new talent. This is his Era now and the Aaron Rodgers (arguably the greatest talent at the QB position in NFL history ) window, may already have or certainly is closing.

This Season was way beyond just disappointing. I wanted MM gone last year and saw him as 'the weakest link'.

Finally Packer Nation can move on from that. There is a whole lot of need and realistically my hope is another Super Bowl appearance in three seasons.

GO PACK GO !

pbmax
12-03-2018, 04:08 PM
This worries me far more about Rodgers than Stubby, especially now that Stubbys gone. This non verbal crap is for high schoolers and even not then.

Perhaps. But it casts the loss of Sitton in a different light. If he was a member of a chorus, McCarthy was sending a message to the others.

Regardless of who was right or wrong, people started to lose faith in the offense years ago. Was Rodgers carrying the corpse of the offense around for that long?

mraynrand
12-03-2018, 04:25 PM
Whomever the Packers bring in he must be on the same page with the Packers GM and excited to work with whatever is left of Aaron Rodgers.

A remnant will always remain!

mraynrand
12-03-2018, 04:31 PM
Perhaps. But it casts the loss of Sitton in a different light. If he was a member of a chorus, McCarthy was sending a message to the others.

Regardless of who was right or wrong, people started to lose faith in the offense years ago. Was Rodgers carrying the corpse of the offense around for that long?

Sure I suppose it's possible. But are we really to believe that for the past three years Rodgers and Stubby can meet over and over and never actually come to some understanding that the receivers can't get open on their own so there's nothing to do but scramble drill? That they have been at an impasse for years? I can believe it somewhat because then that would set up a totally believable scenario whereby Rodgers talks with Murph and Gute and they collectively realize there's no possible way forward without getting rid of Stubby. So, sign Rodgers long term, maneuver Stubby out by making him unpopular with more losing and voila - Rodgers gets his new coach, new offense, etc. etc. And the greek chorus sings in unison in support.

But is there any proof?

Rutnstrut
12-03-2018, 04:38 PM
Sure I suppose it's possible. But are we really to believe that for the past three years Rodgers and Stubby can meet over and over and never actually come to some understanding that the receivers can't get open on their own so there's nothing to do but scramble drill? That they have been at an impasse for years? I can believe it somewhat because then that would set up a totally believable scenario whereby Rodgers talks with Murph and Gute and they collectively realize there's no possible way forward without getting rid of Stubby. So, sign Rodgers long term, maneuver Stubby out by making him unpopular with more losing and voila - Rodgers gets his new coach, new offense, etc. etc. And the greek chorus sings in unison in support.

But is there any proof?

The proof is stubby always doing the same thing and hoping for a different outcome. It would have been painfully obvious if not for Rodgers being good enough to win a lot of races with a 3 wheeled car that was only running on 5 of 8 cylinders. That is until he wasn't, or didn't want to anymore.

mraynrand
12-03-2018, 04:44 PM
The proof is stubby always doing the same thing and hoping for a different outcome. It would have been painfully obvious if not for Rodgers being good enough to win a lot of races with a 3 wheeled car that was only running on 5 of 8 cylinders.

I mean, is there any evidence they (Stubby and Rodgers) talked about the offense and couldn't come to an understanding about it. I don't know what Rodgers thought about their relationship - whether he could talk with Stubby about the architecture of the offense, or just had to make crap up on the fly when receivers never came open. I'm just guessing, but it looks like Stubby was Stubby and pretty much said 'my way or the highway' and Rodger's only resource was to roll his eyes and sing with the greek chorus. Maybe, at some point, he had conversations with Murph and Gute (and put the bug in their ear about Stubby and his offense). But what do we know for certain about that?

pbmax
12-03-2018, 04:44 PM

But is there any proof?

All just speculation, but I believe its precisely that. He's not called Stubby for no reason after all :D

I bet they were meeting like exactly like that for quite a while, though the recent SI/Yahoo piece made it seem like they were less frequently meeting in the QB workroom. Rodgers didn't like the nothing but tight windows with deteriorating pass blocking and McCarthy didn't like the changing plays. I'd bet they were both happy the extended offense worked because it was the team's salvation a number of times AND was the 4th Quarter playbook the last two seasons.

So there were grudging compromises. I would suspect that Stubby gave some ground with the new plays sprinkled into the 15 opening plays script and other half measures like that. Rodgers agrees to run x, Y or Z and not change it just because he didn't believe in it anymore. They probably put some practice time into working on the base plays working better.

But that is a gum and twine job of stitching together an offense.

You add in rookie WRs and its not even an average offense in the NFL. They couldn't run Rodgers' stuff and at times they didn't run McCarthy's stuff correctly.

It definitely put McCarthy in a box at the end, but I bet Rodgers feels that touchdown to check down and dwindling talent left him exposed as well. For a couple years.

mraynrand
12-03-2018, 04:48 PM
... to win a lot of races with a 3 wheeled car that was only running on 5 of 8 cylinders.

I think that's relevant, but that's not Stubby's fault - entirely. That's why they torpedoed TT. Because he kept coming up 3 cylinders short. So, bad parts procurement (TT), failing design (Stubby), and injured driver (Rodgers). The plant owners decided to keep the driver, and replace everything else.

Fosco33
12-03-2018, 04:48 PM
As long as their first name isn’t mike. Let’s get a little original.

mraynrand
12-03-2018, 04:52 PM
It definitely put McCarthy in a box at the end, but I bet Rodgers feels that touchdown to check down and dwindling talent left him exposed as well. For a couple years.

I can't help but wonder if there wasn't a Rodgers moment: "Geezus Christ Stubby, look at the crap they run in NE! Why can't you design an offense like that? It would cover for a lot of holes. P.S. Ted Thompson is in bad shape - like Captain Pike from that Trek episode. Do something!"

Smidgeon
12-03-2018, 06:06 PM

I thought it was a requirement. M4, here we come!

pbmax
12-03-2018, 06:58 PM
I thought it was a requirement. M4, here we come!

I am pro M4.

pbmax
12-03-2018, 07:02 PM
I can't help but wonder if there wasn't a Rodgers moment: "Geezus Christ Stubby, look at the crap they run in NE! Why can't you design an offense like that? It would cover for a lot of holes. P.S. Ted Thompson is in bad shape - like Captain Pike from that Trek episode. Do something!"

Ben Fennel was on Michael Cohen's podcast last week. He is The Athletic's film breakdown dude. He also works with Mayock and NFL Film/Network.

He says the offense still has progressions and reads, but its so attuned to alerts and single coverage outside (big play opportunities) that its easy to lose sight of the construction of the offense.

He thinks it cannot be Rodgers alone or the offense would not change on a dime during the 2 minute drill or when he is hurt or the O line is hobbled.

But I would love to know why they couldn't agree to dial it back. I think it goes back to staleness against its achilles heel, the cover 2 man with 4 man pass rush.

Joemailman
12-03-2018, 07:52 PM
I am pro M4.

Holmgren and Favre both listed at 1000 -1 to get the job. If Holmgren got it, would he be M1 or M4?

Defilippo the favorite at 2-1.

Bretsky
12-03-2018, 07:58 PM
Rob Demovsky said this on the Dan Patrick Show:

He opened with the observation that this was a Browns like move firing the coach, ironic considering the Packers brain trust in Cleveland. I suppose this is in reference to an in season firing after a lackluster stretch like that which got Hue canned earlier. OK, whatever. Bad joke that no one got.

Then the interview:

What role did and will Aaron Rodgers play in the GBP coaching situation?

Well, he's got to have a guy he can work with and the coach has to be able to work with him. That was basically the gist of my piece that's up on ESPN.com now. The pressure is now, a little bit, back on Rodgers, because right or wrong, its perceived that he orchestrated this. Look, the relationship with McCarthy wasn't what it had been, they did win a lot of games together. They did have conflict, but they were always able to win; but once you couldn't win, the conflict became, probably, the reason that they didn't.

So conflict was good for, or indifferent to, success. But when success left, the reason it left was because conflict.

It's no coincidence that other guys who do radio (Wilde - who is no bulldog and Heller - who is a complete homer but almost a bulldog) asked actual point blank questions and got the best answers of the press conference. Demovsky is a terrible writer and thinker.

Let me paint Rob a picture that is devoid of conflict:
As the talent dwindled, Rodgers did not know how to make McCarthy's offense work any longer. The whole Rodgers offense, that kept the offense off life support for years, couldn't work with just Adams and rookies and the corpse of Jimmy Graham.

Could the pure unadulterated McCarthy offense still work? Why don't you ask the last few Seahawk and Browns teams about that vaunted Holmgren offense.

DID YOU CATCH THE NAMEDROPS FOR HEAD COACHES that "apparently" people inside Lambeau really like ?

I gasped when I heard Jimmy Harbaugh

Everybody likes Josh McDaniels.

I've spent years preparing the forum for Hoody Genius JR

Can we call him HG2 ?

Bretsky
12-03-2018, 08:02 PM
Holmgren and Favre both listed at 1000 -1 to get the job. If Holmgren got it, would he be M1 or M4?

Defilippo the favorite at 2-1.

I SAW THAT; AWESOME that they are placing odds already

HG2 is not far behind him

I HAVE EVEN A GREATER IDEA

After NE gets bounced from the playoffs.....we put a full court press on HG2

BB thinks his time is short and decides to step down with some encouragement from Kraft since it's inevitable McDaniels is leaving if he doesn't get the head coach job

FOLLOWING ME...…………...YOU KNOW WHAT"S NEXT

GB HIRES HOODY GENIUS

QBME
12-03-2018, 08:40 PM
I SAW THAT; AWESOME that they are placing odds already

HG2 is not far behind him

I HAVE EVEN A GREATER IDEA

After NE gets bounced from the playoffs.....we put a full court press on HG2

BB thinks his time is short and decides to step down with some encouragement from Kraft since it's inevitable McDaniels is leaving if he doesn't get the head coach job

FOLLOWING ME...…………...YOU KNOW WHAT"S NEXT

GB HIRES HOODY GENIUS

You guys crack me up....!!!...:-):-)

call_me_ishmael
12-03-2018, 10:41 PM
I forgot about Josh McDaniels. I'd happily take him assuming everything checks out with the whole bailing-on-the-colts thing.

denverYooper
12-04-2018, 07:23 AM
I forgot about Josh McDaniels. I'd happily take him assuming everything checks out with the whole bailing-on-the-colts thing.

Ohhh boy. Before that kerfluffle, McDaniels was a disaster in Denver in his first go at HC. He turned out to be a bit of tyrant, not unlike what we're seeing with Patricia in Detriot. Once they started losing, he came undone and came off more as a petulant child. Local sports yak still plays sound drops of him screaming at players.

It seems these (especially younger) guys under Hoody's tutelage see the controlling part of the persona and think that's all there is to running a Belichickian program. They probably lack much of the depth that goes into Hoody's approach -- he has several levels of "firm but fair". They also forget that winning has to come out of it or guys will get tired real quick of micromanagement.

Maybe McDaniels has learned more since his first stint at HC but his antics vis-à-vis Indianapolis leave me doubtful about his maturation. That little move was strike 2 on his record and I'd be real nervous about his next HC gig. I don't doubt he can build an offense. I do doubt he can lead a team of men.

denverYooper
12-04-2018, 08:45 AM
That said, I would be on board with them hiring the original Hoody if Bretsky's chain of events came to pass.

pbmax
12-04-2018, 09:19 AM
DID YOU CATCH THE NAMEDROPS FOR HEAD COACHES that "apparently" people inside Lambeau really like ?

I gasped when I heard Jimmy Harbaugh

Everybody likes Josh McDaniels.

I've spent years preparing the forum for Hoody Genius JR

Can we call him HG2 ?

I was too mad to listen to the rest of it. His head is so far down the conflict hole that several years of offensive putridity don't seem to bother him.

pbmax
12-04-2018, 09:20 AM
I think I want Lincoln Riley.

texaspackerbacker
12-04-2018, 11:05 AM
Riley's rep as an offensive genius is predicated on having "the best O Line in college football". He will suffer acute shock and depression if he comes to the Packers and tries to coach with the bunch we have.

pbmax
12-04-2018, 02:16 PM
Saban

Sports Illustrated @SInow
Nick Saban coaching…the Green Bay Packers?
@jjones9 on why it’s not as crazy as you may think

I could be talked into this more easily than Josh Fails Upward McDaniels.

mraynrand
12-04-2018, 02:39 PM
Saban

Sports Illustrated @SInow
Nick Saban coaching…the Green Bay Packers?
@jjones9 on why it’s not as crazy as you may think

I could be talked into this more easily than Josh Fails Upward McDaniels.

me too - especially if he can get us 6 first and second round picks every year.

pbmax
12-04-2018, 03:07 PM
me too - especially if he can get us 6 first and second round picks every year.

I suspect if Saban would return to the NFL, he might want to be the personnel guy though. Seems like a longshot.

pbmax
12-04-2018, 05:15 PM
It will not be Bruce Arians according to Zach Gelb retweeted by Jason Laconfora and there is apparently audio.

He only wants Browns job.

KYPack
12-04-2018, 06:29 PM

Last four coaches were 3 Mike s and one Ray.

We could handle one more Mike, but I don't who he is.

Bretsky
12-04-2018, 08:16 PM
SERIOUSLY....I WONDER which job in more attractive....CLEVELAND or GREEN BAY

Dan Patrick thinks Cleveland. Possible young franchise QB, plenty of talent on D, and incredibly high upside with stable management.

ZachMN
12-04-2018, 08:29 PM
I vote Uncle Rico...who better to show Prissy Erin how to get his mojo back....

Teamcheez1
12-04-2018, 08:48 PM

Dan Patrick thinks Cleveland. Possible young franchise QB, plenty of talent on D, and incredibly high upside with stable management.

If you go to Cleveland and win 7 games, they will throw you a parade. Go to GB and win 9, you will have one foot out the door.

No wonder Bruce Arians said he would only coach in Cleveland. We wouldn't want that retread anyway.

Bretsky
12-04-2018, 08:53 PM

He's the guy who seems to re design the offense there every year and it seems to work. he's hands down, "on paper" the most qualified candidate for the job

pbmax
12-04-2018, 09:25 PM

Unstable ownership.

pbmax
12-04-2018, 09:26 PM
He's the guy who seems to re design the offense there every year and it seems to work. he's hands down, "on paper" the most qualified candidate for the job

More qualified than Nick Saban?

EDIT: Urban Meyer? Jim Harb.......

{couldn't get the last one out}

I think not.

#don't really want any of them

pbmax
12-04-2018, 09:26 PM
Is Urban Meyer retiring just a coincidence? :D

pbmax
12-04-2018, 09:48 PM
On Michael Cohen's podcast, he had Ben Fennel on, the film breakdown dude from NFLN and the Athletic.

Fennell said the following about Pettine:

1. Scheme is very similar to Capers
2. Communication in backend with very young players has been very good compared to year's past
3. Blitz packages are multiple, but on 3rd and long its predictable
4. Overall impressed and thinks he should get to continue
5. Clark is a monster
6. Daniels having bad season (injury?) and pass rush numbers are up because 3rd down reps are up. He's not more effective this year.
7. Neither DT is much of a natural pass rusher
8. Martinez is terrible in coverage, great going forward (that is three players who fit this description now including Josh Jackson and Josh Jones)
9. Burks might be able to cover but he cannot get off blocks

Bretsky
12-04-2018, 10:35 PM
More qualified than Nick Saban?

EDIT: Urban Meyer? Jim Harb.......

{couldn't get the last one out}

I think not.

#don't really want any of them

SABAN; wouldn't hate the hire, but I would not embrace it either. He's the king of college but failed in the NFL. And most feel AROD needs somebody who is an offensive guru who is ahead of the curve with innovation.

MEYER; besides being a heartless asshole I would not want him as an NFL Coach. I'd take other college coaches over Meyer, such as the mighty Lincoln and even the Stanford coach

HARBAUGH; I've said many times I'd have no issues with his hiring. Everybody hates him except the teams he coaches. I'd take him over Saban and Meyer for sure. And a Packer beat writer who went on ESPN 1070 noted people some at Lambeau really like Jimmmy

HG2; he's probably the most qualified coach to come to Green Bay if they are looking for that innovative offensive guru with all around experience. I'd be excited with HG2.

I haven't decided if he's my number one choice but he's one of a handful that IMO would be great hires for the Green Bay Packers. I too like the idea of the might Lincoln.

Bretsky
12-04-2018, 10:38 PM
Is Urban Meyer retiring just a coincidence? :D

Urban Meyer seemed to retire round one when he figured out he couldn't beat Saban

Then he cherry picked the OSU job and dominated the Big Ten but he's bailing now that his true personality came out and the might Urban was questions. And he's sorry...sorry the news was misinterpreted ….Douchebag

Bretsky
12-04-2018, 10:42 PM
That said, I would be on board with them hiring the original Hoody if Bretsky's chain of events came to pass.

WINNER
Would be hilarious if it happened; let the chain of events start !!!!!!!!!!!!

call_me_ishmael
12-04-2018, 11:07 PM
I don't really understand the boner for Kliff Klingsbury or whatever. Dude just got fired at Texas Tech. Why were NFL teams considering him for a job? Yes, we all know they run the Mike Leech throw-all-day offense but if you couldn't do it in college, how could you do it in the pros??

pbmax
12-04-2018, 11:24 PM
I don't really understand the boner for Kliff Klingsbury or whatever. Dude just got fired at Texas Tech. Why were NFL teams considering him for a job? Yes, we all know they run the Mike Leech throw-all-day offense but if you couldn't do it in college, how could you do it in the pros??

Ask Mike Sherman.

texaspackerbacker
12-04-2018, 11:47 PM
I don't know if Kingsbury is head coach material, but he'd sure make a great O Coordinator when you have the GOAT QB to work with.

Fritz
12-05-2018, 04:33 AM
Please God, nobody named Harbaugh. No college coaches. Pluck some assistant from another team, some Lombardi-ish Holmgren-ish McCarthy-ish guy, and let's roll. Gute seems capable of providing the talent.

pbmax
12-05-2018, 08:16 AM
Please God, nobody named Harbaugh. No college coaches. Pluck some assistant from another team, some Lombardi-ish Holmgren-ish McCarthy-ish guy, and let's roll. Gute seems capable of providing the talent.

Do you really trust McDaniels after Denver and blowing off the Colts last year? I'd almost rather have anyone but Meyer than him.

call_me_ishmael
12-05-2018, 12:39 PM
https://twitter.com/BarstoolBigCat/status/1056957424844857344

For whatever it's worth. I received a tip last week that the following Coaching Carousel would occur this offseason.

-Urban Meyer to Coach the Packers
-Bob Stoops to Coach Ohio State
-Mike McCarthy to Coach the Browns.

The wheels are now in motion.

LOL, god I hope not. The latter two are probably happening though. Urban is probably headed to USC next year.

denverYooper
12-05-2018, 12:47 PM
I may have to find a new team if they hire Meyer

pbmax
12-05-2018, 12:49 PM
I am not rooting for Meyer.