PDA

View Full Version : Packers Sign S Ibrahim Campbell

Joemailman
11-05-2018, 08:56 PM
In the box S/LB. Former 4th round pick of Browns. Released by Jets Saturday.

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS Trusted and respected four-year starter. Aggressive tendencies near the football. Springs into his tackles with authority, and looks to rip the ball out of ball carrier's arms with his unusually large hands. Created four forced fumbles and had three interceptions in just 56 percent of the team's defensive snaps. Does his job in run support, playing with leverage against perimeter runs and containment on back side. Coming from high to low, can mirror running back movement to shadow and hit. Adequate range and man coverage skills underneath. Praised by NFL scouts for his leadership and personal character. Plays on kick coverage and hands team against onside kicks.

WEAKNESSES Diagnostic skills are still a work in progress. Can take too long to make initial read on play-action and drop into coverage. Plays through a straw. Has issues with dual focus on quarterback and his coverage responsibilities. Will lose track of his coverage, leading to big plays. Average closing burst. Might not have the positional instincts, eye discipline or ball skills necessary to play anywhere but near box. Missed four games this season dealing with nagging injuries. High number of missed tackles in 2013 worth noting.

DRAFT PROJECTION Round 7 or priority free agent

SOURCES TELL US "When you first start watching him, you think he can play high or down (in the box), but he just gives up too many plays over the top to trust him on top." -- NFC North scout

NFL COMPARISON Duke Ihenacho

BOTTOM LINE Box safety with some coverage traits that should help him stick with some of the athletic, matchup-based tight ends. He has shown improved consistency as a tackler and has a knack for creating turnovers. He could come in and earn a spot with special-teams play while he tries to develop his instincts over time.

texaspackerbacker
11-05-2018, 11:23 PM
According to that, he was drafted way too early.

It seems like we have several "box Safetys" now - Whitehead, Jones, and to some extent Brice. The greater need would be for a coverage type Safety with Clinton-Dix gone.

mraynrand
11-06-2018, 07:13 AM
Stop gap. Except he probs won't stop any gaps.

red
11-06-2018, 07:44 AM
So we still don’t have a free safety

denverYooper
11-06-2018, 03:45 PM
According to that, he was drafted way too early.

It seems like we have several "box Safetys" now - Whitehead, Jones, and to some extent Brice. The greater need would be for a coverage type Safety with Clinton-Dix gone.

Now minus 1...

#Packers place WR Geronimo Allison on injured reserve, release S Jermaine Whitehead & sign CB Will Redmond to the active roster.

https://www.packers.com/news/packers-place-wr-geronimo-allison-on-ir-release-s-whitehead?campaign=sf201696614_TW_C%2DContent%2DGB %5FCT%2DRoster%20Moves%2DGB_sf201696614&sf201696614=1

texaspackerbacker
11-06-2018, 04:34 PM
I had a bad feeling when I saw they signed Campbell that they were going to overreact and cut Whitehead. Damn Damn Damn.

mraynrand
11-06-2018, 04:38 PM
Now minus 1...

#Packers place WR Geronimo Allison on injured reserve, release S Jermaine Whitehead & sign CB Will Redmond to the active roster.

Oft injured third round pick: Packer people.

Redmond, a 5-foot-11, 186-pound third-year player, was signed to the Packers’ practice squad on Sept. 11. He was originally selected by the San Francisco 49ers in the third round (No. 68 overall) of the 2016 NFL Draft out of Mississippi State. Redmond spent his entire rookie season on injured reserve with a knee injury and the first eight games of 2017 with an ankle injury. He was released by the 49ers on Oct. 31, 2017, and signed by the Kansas City Chiefs to the practice squad on Nov. 9, 2017, where he spent the rest of the season. Redmond was released by the Chiefs on Sept. 1.

Joemailman
11-06-2018, 04:45 PM
I had a bad feeling when I saw they signed Campbell that they were going to overreact and cut Whitehead. Damn Damn Damn.

I think Gutey is sending a message. Don't Do Stupid Shit.

Anti-Polar Bear
11-06-2018, 04:53 PM

Or he’s tanking the season, for the sake of looking good decapitating the highly successful coach.

Joemailman
11-06-2018, 06:10 PM
Or he’s tanking the season, for the sake of looking good decapitating the highly successful coach.

Releasing Whitehead is tanking the season? :?:

mraynrand
11-06-2018, 07:42 PM

And it's at the margins. They can replace Whitehead pretty easily - he's nothing special.

texaspackerbacker
11-07-2018, 12:36 AM
And it's at the margins. They can replace Whitehead pretty easily - he's nothing special.

That remains to be seen. If there's nothing going on that the public doesn't know about/if it's just getting pissy about the ejection thing, then this was a stupid move.

Anti-Polar Bear
11-07-2018, 02:49 AM
Releasing Whitehead is tanking the season? :?:

Not saying much, but Whitehead was the teams best safety. This move clearly reeks tanking.

run pMc
11-07-2018, 07:17 AM
Considering they had a CB playing S and there wasn't a lot of dropoff (if any) I don't think cutting him is tanking, but he was playing ok. I gotta think there's more to it. Maybe the lightbulb flickered on for Josh Jones.

George Cumby
11-07-2018, 10:05 AM

Shouldn’t the HC be sending the message? I don’t disagree with your post. I just see this lack of discipline/motivation/whatever as symptomatic of a broader problem, the roots of which lie at Fat Mikes feet.

mraynrand
11-07-2018, 10:07 AM
Shouldn’t the HC be sending the message?

He could bench him, but that's hard to do when he's already been cut.

pbmax
11-07-2018, 06:17 PM
Not saying much, but Whitehead was the teams best safety. This move clearly reeks tanking.

Yes. That is why he was 3rd string, because he was the best. That is also why Tramontana started ahead of him.

To be accurate, you could say that Whitehead was a better Tweener S/ILB than Burks.

run pMc
11-08-2018, 02:08 PM
Haven't found much on Will Redmond, but he's supposedly a good athlete and pre-injury a bit of a burner. The Niners thought enough to spend a R3 on him, but then again TT picked Fackrell that round, so who knows.
Can this Campbell guy play? Is he an upgrade over... anyone? My gut says they put him on ST and play Josh Jones in the dime/box safety role more.

pbmax
11-08-2018, 02:48 PM
Plays through a straw is a terrible metaphor.

Plays through a tunnel or cone much better. Can't see anything through a straw.

Fritz
11-08-2018, 05:26 PM
Considering they had a CB playing S and there wasn't a lot of dropoff (if any) I don't think cutting him is tanking, but he was playing ok. I gotta think there's more to it. Maybe the lightbulb flickered on for Josh Jones.

Best line I've seen in a while: "Maybe the lightbulb flickered on."

Flickered. That's hilarious.

pbmax
11-08-2018, 08:35 PM
Best line I've seen in a while: "Maybe the lightbulb flickered on."

Flickered. That's hilarious.

At this point playing like a maniac without any idea where to be might help. If only he was a pass rusher.

texaspackerbacker
11-09-2018, 09:09 AM
Who's to say Jones won't be a pass rusher - at times anyway. Pettine seems to like his DBs blitzing, and having your weakest coverage link be the one to blitz makes a lot of sense.

Fritz
11-09-2018, 02:59 PM
Who's to say Jones won't be a pass rusher - at times anyway. Pettine seems to like his DBs blitzing, and having your weakest coverage link be the one to blitz makes a lot of sense.

How long will it take an NFL offensive coordinator to figure that out, Tex?

texaspackerbacker
11-09-2018, 04:37 PM
How long will it take an NFL offensive coordinator to figure that out, Tex?

About the second time we do it hahahahaha.