PDA

View Full Version : OH JIMMY OH JIMMY...WHY AREN"T YOU PRODUCING JIMMY ???

Bretsky
11-12-2018, 10:22 PM
Green Bay signed this guy to a big money free agent deal. Many rats, including me, either conservatively supported this or were completely on board.

WTF ?

Jimmy's not producing shit and I'm curious who this falls on. It seems the Colts find ways to get Jack Doyle plenty of opportunities when he is healthy. Is a guy like George Kittle really any better than Jimmy ?

My young son and I jokingly chat when watching the games "THROW THE BALL TO JIMMY ?

JIMMY'S NOT PRODUCING; and it's time for the question......WHO IS TO BLAME ?

Joemailman
11-12-2018, 10:34 PM
He's on pace for 780 yards receiving. That's about what he's averaged over the last 4 years. Maybe too much was expected. Maybe the QB who is 30th in the NFL in completion pct. shares some blame?

He's 8th in receiving yards among TE's. He's not washed up. Maybe he's overpaid.

I didn't vote in the poll because the premise it's based on is incorrect.

KYPack
11-12-2018, 11:11 PM
We got Jimmy, but we didn't get much of him. He's not as quick as the NO flash we saw in his youth. Nor does he have the speed from days of yore. They've run some fades for him in the end zone, but Graham can't jump like the youthful basketball player he once was. We got Graham but a limited Jimmy G. He never could block and hasn't made the decision to toss an effective block here and there. He's not the long armed speedster we saw in years past. He is experienced and is very adept at reading defenses. Real skilled at "sitting down" in the zone and providing a target for AROD especially when Aaron is scrambling. He's vet that knows the passing game and reading D's. He has considerable skills, but nowhere the skill set he once possed. The other TE's are not up to JG's level.

Marcedes Lewis is really a lesser player than he was in his time in JAX. Only in rare time does ML flash the effective blocking, for which he was known in his early years. Kendrick is also a shadow of his former play with the Lambs.
In this context Graham appears the best of a weak lot.

Our young TE seems mainly lost in space. He hasn't made huge plays.
I imagine JG is our big

mraynrand
11-12-2018, 11:19 PM
Jimmy is nursing a ruined knee. It's never coming back. He will only play until it completely limits him and/or the pain becomes intolerable.

call_me_ishmael
11-12-2018, 11:37 PM
The real question is, do they keep him next year? He costs 12.6M to keep next year or 7.3M to cut. My gut feeling is you can get the same or better production from a cheaper player and free yourself up that money for future years. I doubt he'll be back.

red
11-13-2018, 07:32 AM
J voted for the middle one because fat mikes has never known how to use TEs

But it’s probably an “all of the above” question

Pugger
11-13-2018, 08:47 AM
I think we all, the Packers included, expected a lot more of Jimmy. He isn't the player he once was but our QB isn't playing up to his standards, either. Gute has to address this position this spring.

Teamcheez1
11-13-2018, 09:08 AM
I think Jimmy finishes his contract. His numbers are decent and there are problems with the offense that are not attributable to him.

It's akin to the Clay situation this year in that we have nothing behind him that's any better right now.

pbmax
11-13-2018, 10:00 AM
It doesn't help being in this offense, but Jimmy might be a better blocker than receiver now.

red
11-13-2018, 10:26 AM
I think we all, the Packers included, expected a lot more of Jimmy. He isn't the player he once was but our QB isn't playing up to his standards, either. Gute has to address this position this spring.

He really can’t jump or run anymore, and he’s having some problems just catching the ball now. A guy who is 6’7 and pretty much the biggest guy on the field should be able to come down with anything thrown close to him

But he’s just not doing that

mraynrand
11-13-2018, 10:56 AM
He really can’t jump or run anymore, and he’s having some problems just catching the ball now. A guy who is 6’7 and pretty much the biggest guy on the field should be able to come down with anything thrown close to him

But he’s just not doing that

maybe Rodgers can throw more crap at his knees

gbgary
11-13-2018, 11:16 AM
needed a "none of the above" option. graham's productivity is on Rodgers. he's open plenty...Rodgers just has to throw it too him.

texaspackerbacker
11-13-2018, 11:41 AM
More from the whiny detractors of Aaron Rodgers again?

My take on Graham's slight lack of production is simply that Rodgers is more comfortable throwing to wideouts - can you blame him after years of having mediocre TEs. Also, being a receiver on the Packers is different than a lot of teams with the shaky O Line and the need for the QB to scramble all the time, and that likely takes some getting used to.

Graham hasn't been that bad, and presumably the Packers knew about the knee thing before they signed him, so it probably ain't that bad. We may not see Jimmy Graham in his prime, but I think we will see him a lot better than so far - maybe as soon as Thursday against his old team.

Carolina_Packer
11-13-2018, 11:49 AM
Do you think that just having to account for JG on the field, he has helped some of the other receivers?

Anti-Polar Bear
11-13-2018, 11:55 AM
needed a "none of the above" option. graham's productivity is on Rodgers. he's open plenty...Rodgers just has to throw it too him.

Affirmative. I wish Butte would target Jimmy G more on 3rd downs. Pack might convert more 3rd and 3’s.

Smidgeon
11-13-2018, 03:34 PM
Do you think that just having to account for JG on the field, he has helped some of the other receivers?

Maybe the first two games. Not anymore.

Pugger
11-13-2018, 03:55 PM
More from the whiny detractors of Aaron Rodgers again?

My take on Graham's slight lack of production is simply that Rodgers is more comfortable throwing to wideouts - can you blame him after years of having mediocre TEs. Also, being a receiver on the Packers is different than a lot of teams with the shaky O Line and the need for the QB to scramble all the time, and that likely takes some getting used to.

Graham hasn't been that bad, and presumably the Packers knew about the knee thing before they signed him, so it probably ain't that bad. We may not see Jimmy Graham in his prime, but I think we will see him a lot better than so far - maybe as soon as Thursday against his old team.

No, Rodgers had plenty of success throwing to Finley and Cook in the past.

pbmax
11-13-2018, 04:32 PM
Maybe the first two games. Not anymore.

NE was doubling him at times.

bobblehead
11-14-2018, 11:47 AM
We got Jimmy, but we didn't get much of him. He's not as quick as the NO flash we saw in his youth. Nor does he have the speed from days of yore. They've run some fades for him in the end zone, but Graham can't jump like the youthful basketball player he once was. We got Graham but a limited Jimmy G. He never could block and hasn't made the decision to toss an effective block here and there. He's not the long armed speedster we saw in years past. He is experienced and is very adept at reading defenses. Real skilled at "sitting down" in the zone and providing a target for AROD especially when Aaron is scrambling. He's vet that knows the passing game and reading D's. He has considerable skills, but nowhere the skill set he once possed. The other TE's are not up to JG's level.

Marcedes Lewis is really a lesser player than he was in his time in JAX. Only in rare time does ML flash the effective blocking, for which he was known in his early years. Kendrick is also a shadow of his former play with the Lambs.
In this context Graham appears the best of a weak lot.

Our young TE seems mainly lost in space. He hasn't made huge plays.
I imagine JG is our big

So why did we cut Jordy at his salary because his skills were fading and sign a guy who's skills were also fading for that money?

bobblehead
11-14-2018, 11:51 AM

Yea, I hate to admit it, but I'm starting to put some of my MM blame on rodgers. ARod is the best deep passer I have ever seen. Right there with Dan Marino and Jeff George. Problem is that the league has decided to take that away and Aaron hasn't adjusted to hitting wide open guys underneath. I have seen him miss plenty of open guys while looking deep.

mraynrand
11-14-2018, 11:59 AM
Yea, I hate to admit it, but I'm starting to put some of my MM blame on rodgers. ARod is the best deep passer I have ever seen. Right there with Dan Marino and Jeff George. Problem is that the league has decided to take that away and Aaron hasn't adjusted to hitting wide open guys underneath. I have seen him miss plenty of open guys while looking deep.

A good coach would adjust the offense and play calling to get his QB looking for higher percentage options. It's unlikely that the Rodgers is changing all the play calls from more conservative calls to the old TD/checkdown, with no check down. We'd be hearing about this from teammates or see arguing on the sidelines.

It has to be the reality that Stubby (and Rodgers) have little intention of 'taking what the defense gives them'

Rodgers age/shoulder/knee aren't allowing him to play his normal play-extending game, and they've stubbornly mostly refused to adjust. All of 'em. Think that will change going forward as Rodgers gets healthier?

texaspackerbacker
11-14-2018, 03:54 PM
Rodgers is doing what needs to be done in the context of weak pass blocking. Sure, he could go to shorter quicker passes; Sure, a different coach could rein him in and force that, but the team would be a helluva lot worse that way. When is the Packer offense at its best? When they get their backs to the wall, and they just let Aaron be Aaron.

I'm not real thrilled with McCarthy, but I'm afraid most potentially new coaching prospects would make things worse, not better.

Bretsky
11-14-2018, 08:45 PM
YES OR NO ???????????

DO I START THROWN THE BALL TO "JIMMY GRAHAM" this week in my NY league over Rickey Jones Seals and the Bengal TE ??

I have to start two TE's and Greg Olson is my one

red
11-15-2018, 07:47 AM
YES OR NO ???????????

DO I START THROWN THE BALL TO "JIMMY GRAHAM" this week in my NY league over Rickey Jones Seals and the Bengal TE ??

I have to start two TE's and Greg Olson is my one

i know the answer, but i'm not telling you

mraynrand
11-15-2018, 09:03 AM

gangsta

Bretsky
11-15-2018, 07:16 PM

That's too bad; that would have been fool proof; I'd take your opinion and do the opposite :))))

OK PACK...………..THROW THE BALL TO JIMMY !!!!!!!!!!!!!

smuggler
11-15-2018, 09:52 PM
Graham's old and slow. Couldn't produce for three years in Seattle, either.

call_me_ishmael
11-15-2018, 10:13 PM
It was a mistake not to just resign the dude that caught the ball in Dallas. He seemed better than the players they've tried to replace him with.

pbmax
11-15-2018, 10:50 PM
It was a mistake not to just resign the dude that caught the ball in Dallas. He seemed better than the players they've tried to replace him with.

This looks truer every day. Sometimes value is right in front of you. But you know the coaches wanted someone to block as well.

mraynrand
11-15-2018, 10:52 PM
This looks truer every day. Sometimes value is right in front of you. But you know the coaches wanted someone to block as well.

Good thing they signed Bennett and Marcedes

mraynrand
11-15-2018, 10:53 PM
A good coach would adjust the offense and play calling to get his QB looking for higher percentage options. It's unlikely that Rodgers is changing all the play calls from more conservative calls to the old TD/checkdown, with no check down. We'd be hearing about this from teammates or see arguing on the sidelines.

It has to be the reality that Stubby (and Rodgers) have little intention of 'taking what the defense gives them'

Rodgers age/shoulder/knee aren't allowing him to play his normal play-extending game, and they've stubbornly mostly refused to adjust. All of 'em. Think that will change going forward as Rodgers gets healthier?

QFT

Stubby was very pleased with the offense at the half

red
11-16-2018, 04:16 PM
jimmy broke his thumb

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/11/16/jimmy-graham-broke-his-thumb/

hes had problems holding onto the ball with both thumbs, probably done for the season, unless we make the playoffs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WJ_KTM8VWg

mraynrand
11-16-2018, 04:44 PM
I am not even mildly shocked surprised or even saddened by this at all.

gbgary
11-16-2018, 06:05 PM
no biggie. Rodgers really didn't use him anyway.

esoxx
11-16-2018, 06:22 PM
jimmy broke his thumb

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/11/16/jimmy-graham-broke-his-thumb/

hes had problems holding onto the ball with both thumbs, probably done for the season, unless we make the playoffs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WJ_KTM8VWg

Shame on the nitwit in the game thread who accused him of having a ingrown fingernail or something.

Sometimes fans are really dumb.

Fritz
11-16-2018, 06:31 PM

He's off on his deep balls, too. Underthrew Adams deep once and even on the TD to Jones he was short. I don't know what's going on with him right now.

Things are a mess right now. Three points the entire second half?

pbmax
11-16-2018, 07:43 PM
He's off on his deep balls, too. Underthrew Adams deep once and even on the TD to Jones he was short. I don't know what's going on with him right now.

Things are a mess right now. Three points the entire second half?

I get what you and Gary are saying, but against a reasonable Seattle D on the road they put up a 21 point half.

Graham has had a decent year compared to his recent years.

The problem is that once the game plan hits base offense mode, everything gets shut down. And the Seachickens generate enough pass rush to make a 4th QC a problem, especially when you punt on 4th and 2.

McCarthy is being so careful not to upset the apple cart, he is literally programming the team for close losses.

Bretsky
11-17-2018, 07:17 AM
I've seen references to Jimmy having a decent year. But isn't the one thing we want from Jimmy some consistency ? It seems like it's not there. He's had a couple really good games and a lot of shitty ones.

I agree that we have no idea how to scheme some involvement for him....ditto for anybody else as well.

Pugger
11-17-2018, 09:32 AM
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25295664/jimmy-graham-green-bay-packers-suffers-broken-thumb

mraynrand
11-17-2018, 10:30 AM
I've seen references to Jimmy having a decent year. ...It seems like it's not there.....

"Seems," madam? Nay, it is; I know not "seems."

I do not bite my thumb at you, sir, but I bite my thumb, sir.

call_me_ishmael
11-17-2018, 04:25 PM
He gone.

denverYooper
11-18-2018, 03:29 PM
Tonyan Time.