Green Bay at Seattle
Carolina at Detroit
Houston at Washington
Philadelphia at New Orleans
Minnesota at Chicago
Kansas City at Los Angeles

pbmax
11-13-2018, 09:09 PM
If you are a young team and rising, the playoff chase and wild card is very exciting.

After an 8 year in a row playoff run, 3 Championship games and a Super Bowl win, its depressing.

So very weird.

Joemailman
11-13-2018, 10:03 PM
The inability of this team to win on the road makes this year feel different. Ability to win on the road is obviously a key if you're going to go on a late playoff run.

pbmax
11-13-2018, 10:32 PM
Remember that Rodgers looked off in terms of arm strength and accuracy last year after returning?

I still don't think he is right physically and mechanically with throwing. Obviously that knee injury made things worse.

I don't want to encourage tex, but the best FA money they might spend could be on a reasonably priced Guard who can pass block.

Joemailman
11-19-2018, 08:14 AM
With all of the wailing and gnashing of teeth, it's easy to lose sight of the fact that the Packers are 1 game out of a playoff spot. I hope the Packers players and coaches are more excited about their chances than the fan base seems to be.

texaspackerbacker
11-19-2018, 09:22 AM
Our best chance is still winning the division. The Bears are gonna come crashing down. The Rams will beat them, probably the Vikings on the road, and I have a hunch Detroit rises up and beats them on Thanksgiving. If we can beat them in Chicago, and I think we can, having Aaron Rodgers healthy the whole game, we should come out ahead of them. The Vikings supposedly have the NFL's toughest remaining schedule - according to the commentators last night (it doesn't look that way to me). If we can beat them next week, we are in the drivers seat. If not, they are, and we can kiss the season good bye.

pbmax
11-19-2018, 09:34 AM
With all of the wailing and gnashing of teeth, it's easy to lose sight of the fact that the Packers are 1 game out of a playoff spot. I hope the Packers players and coaches are more excited about their chances than the fan base seems to be.

I smell a face value opportunity to attend a playoff game this year.

Anti-Polar Bear
11-19-2018, 09:54 AM
I smell a face value opportunity to attend a playoff game this year.

Playoffs?!?! Are you fucking kidding me?!?! Playoffs!?!? I just hope these Fuckers can win a game ! Another fucking game!

Pb, reading your recent posts, I've come to the conclusion that you're growing more and more delusional by the day.

red
11-19-2018, 09:57 AM
This week then is pretty much a must win

If we beat the queens, then we pretty much control our destiny

If we lose, we’re 2 games back with 5 to play

pbmax
11-19-2018, 10:09 AM
Playoffs?!?! Are you fucking kidding me?!?! Playoffs!?!? I just hope these Fuckers can win a game ! Another fucking game!

Pb, reading your recent posts, I've come to the conclusion that you're growing more and more delusional by the day.

After all the trouble and bad beats, they are a game out of the wildcard. Bears have 7 wins, so Packers are 3 full behind.

Defense has gotten better despite losing Ha Ha and Wilkerson. Fackrell makes a real difference, a large one if he can keep it up and is not just good for some matchup wins.

The offense would be 25% better if it stops shooting itself in the foot (turnovers and penalties).

McCarthy has belatedly realized Jones needs to start. Now the only obstacle is to use him without forgetting him.

Red zone needs a scheme fix. This is the least hopeful front.

Rodgers getting healthier should mean his play picks up.

Not saying its going to happen, but stranger things have. Watching the Bears Vikings game and neither of those teams is ahead of what the Packers should be able to do. They have already shown they can beat the Bears, Vikings, Rams and Seahawks. Who is there to fear except internal malfunction?

Anti-Polar Bear
11-19-2018, 10:45 AM
After all the trouble and bad beats, they are a game out of the wildcard. Bears have 7 wins, so Packers are 3 full behind.

Defense has gotten better despite losing Ha Ha and Wilkerson. Fackrell makes a real difference, a large one if he can keep it up and is not just good for some matchup wins.

The offense would be 25% better if it stops shooting itself in the foot (turnovers and penalties).

McCarthy has belatedly realized Jones needs to start. Now the only obstacle is to use him without forgetting him.

Not saying its going to happen, but stranger things have. Watching the Bears Vikings game and neither of those teams is ahead of what the Packers should be able to do. They have already shown they can beat the Bears, Vikings, Rams and Seahawks. Who is there to fear except internal malfunction?

In the immortal words of Jim E. Mora:

"'Could've, would've, should've'...The good teams don't come in and say 'Could've.' They get it done! All right? It's that simple! I'm tired of saying 'Could've, should've, would've.' That's why we ain't good enough! 'Cause we're saying 'Could've" and they ain't!'

I'm pissed off right now. You bet your ass I am. I'm sick of coulda, woulda, shoulda, coming close, if only."

pbmax
11-19-2018, 10:59 AM
In the immortal words of Jim E. Mora:

"'Could've, would've, should've'...The good teams don't come in and say 'Could've.' They get it done! All right? It's that simple! I'm tired of saying 'Could've, should've, would've.' That's why we ain't good enough! 'Cause we're saying 'Could've" and they ain't!'

I'm pissed off right now. You bet your ass I am. I'm sick of coulda, woulda, shoulda, coming close, if only."

But despite your anger, they stand a good chance to make the playoffs and I am going to get good seats to a playoff game for $140 or thereabouts.

Anti-Polar Bear
11-19-2018, 12:54 PM
But despite your anger, they stand a good chance to make the playoffs and I am going to get good seats to a playoff game for $140 or thereabouts.

If the Packers host a playoff game, I will personally buy you a cup of hot coco at the game. Hell, we could even take a selfie together and post it here - I bet Mazzin is dying to see how hot I look, especially since I work out 3 days a week.

Don't hold on to false hope for too long, though, as false hope makes one delusional. The math says that I have better odds of going on a date with Rihanna than the Packers have of making the playoffs this season.

wist43
11-19-2018, 01:08 PM
Whether we make the playoffs or not is irrelevant; b/c, even if we do, we'll be bounced quickly.

We're headed in the right direction I think... but things need to happen.

1) Fire Stubby at seasons end.
2) Hire a competent McVey/Nagey type offensive coach.
3) Hit on that fairly high 1st round pick we will have
4) See continued development from Alexander, Jackson, A. Jones, and the Wrs.
5) Jettison the dead weight contracts of Perry, Matthews, and Cobb; and, use that freed up cap space to sign the best FA LB on the market.
6) Get rid of Fackrell and Ryan - start a complete rebuild at LB.

That's a big list, but it's doable.

Joemailman
11-19-2018, 01:37 PM
Whether we make the playoffs or not is irrelevant; b/c, even if we do, we'll be bounced quickly.

5) Jettison the dead weight contracts of Perry, Matthews, and Cobb; and, use that freed up cap space to sign the best FA LB on the market.

A bit too big. Can't get rid of Matthews, Perry and Fackrell in the same year. I'd focus on Perry, who just can never stay healthy. Maybe bring Matthews back, depending on the cost, and see if Fackrell really is ascending. It costs less than a million to keep him. Agree with everything else.

MadScientist
11-19-2018, 01:49 PM

First 4 are doable, or at least reasonable. Getting rid of Matthews and Cobb are likely. Peri may deserve the ax, but the cap savings is small so they will probably keep him and hope they can get something out of him.

Fackrell has 8 sacks in 10 games. He may have his faults, but those numbers says he stays. Ryan probably goes unless he's cheap depth. There is a limit to how much they can do in one year.

pbmax
11-19-2018, 01:51 PM

You forgot to mention getting rid of Martinez.

call_me_ishmael
11-19-2018, 02:31 PM
Packers aren't playing for 2018 or 2019 in my opinion. Not to say they aren't important, but I think they know they realistically don't have a roster capable of Super Bowl in 2018 and won't in 2019 either. Name of the game is flip the roster over completely for a young and powerful 2020 and 2021 squad.

wist43
11-19-2018, 10:36 PM
You forgot to mention getting rid of Martinez.

A team can get by with Martinez if he has players around him who are more talented than he is. Right now, we don't have those players.

Where has Burks been?? I'm glad he hasn't been in the lineup, but why?? Don't keep up with happenings the way i used to.

If Burks doesn't show improvement next training camp, I'd toss him too.

Joemailman
11-19-2018, 10:50 PM
A team can get by with Martinez if he has players around him who are more talented than he is. Right now, we don't have those players.

Where has Burks been?? I'm glad he hasn't been in the lineup, but why?? Don't keep up with happenings the way i used to.

He has a lot to learn about playing the run as a LB. Packers have played teams recently tha run the ball well and often. Might see him more this week against the Vikings.

wist43
11-20-2018, 06:38 AM
He has a lot to learn about playing the run as a LB. Packers have played teams recently tha run the ball well and often. Might see him more this week against the Vikings.

He's terrible against the pass too.

mraynrand
11-20-2018, 07:19 AM

He got beaten like a drum on that first Patsies drive, and lost his job. I saw him on a milk carton the other day.

denverYooper
11-20-2018, 07:42 AM

To add to the 25% offensive p despite being promising rookies who have made some plays, ESB and sometimes MVS are a hair off on offensive sync. IF they get more consistent and predictable, especially on 2nd reaction plays AND M3/Rodgers don't shy away from 2nd half Jones, it's not hard to see the offense improve near the end of the year.

I also hope Tonyan sees more snaps. That guy has wheels and hands.

Remember when their problem was that the offense was a bunch of plodders? That's not the problem now. They're still re-adjusting to their new talent.

denverYooper
11-20-2018, 07:49 AM
This week then is pretty much a must win

If we beat the queens, then we pretty much control our destiny

If we lose, we’re 2 games back with 5 to play

Agreed.

They can lose 1 more this year and still be in the hunt, but the 1 they lose can't be the Vikings.

Smidgeon
11-20-2018, 08:04 AM
To add to the 25% offensive p despite being promising rookies who have made some plays, ESB and sometimes MVS are a hair off on offensive sync. IF they get more consistent and predictable, especially on 2nd reaction plays AND M3/Rodgers don't shy away from 2nd half Jones, it's not hard to see the offense improve near the end of the year.

Remember when their problem was that the offense was a bunch of plodders? That's not the problem now. They're still re-adjusting to their new talent.

Honestly, I'm tired of the second reaction stages as if they're a part of the game plan. When is "run around and try to get open if the original routes don't work" a viable offensive strategy? Instead of practicing that regularly, practice new schemes/plays. That run around wildly and pray for a play worked when the defense wasn't expecting it. Now they are, just like now it's rare to catch the defense substituting players for a free five yards.

There are innovations on this team. The problem is that they stick with the ones that were effective in the past too long instead of finding something new. Not only are the mid game adjustments slow, the year over year ones are slower.

pbmax
11-20-2018, 08:17 AM

Patriots drove him right out of the lineup.

pbmax
11-20-2018, 08:19 AM

All true. I should have also said that the 3rd down efficiency has to pick up, which is partly scheme but also Rodgers. So I would slot it as just behind red zone improvement as likely to happen.

Joemailman
11-20-2018, 01:49 PM
Honestly, I'm tired of the second reaction stages as if they're a part of the game plan. When is "run around and try to get open if the original routes don't work" a viable offensive strategy? Instead of practicing that regularly, practice new schemes/plays. That run around wildly and pray for a play worked when the defense wasn't expecting it. Now they are, just like now it's rare to catch the defense substituting players for a free five yards.

There are innovations on this team. The problem is that they stick with the ones that were effective in the past too long instead of finding something new. Not only are the mid game adjustments slow, the year over year ones are slower.

The "run around and try to get open if the original routes don't work" worked reasonably well when you had Jordy and Cobb who knew exactly what to do if the original play broke down. But now you have 2 rookies out there who, like most rookies, just aren't there yet. Coaching is all about putting players in situations where they can be successful. The offensive braintrust, and that includes Rodgers, are not doing that very well.

pbmax
11-20-2018, 05:00 PM
Extended offense also works better with healthy and unnervingly accurate Rodgers playing. Now he can’t avoid rush as well.

Joemailman
11-20-2018, 06:05 PM
Extended offense also works better with healthy and unnervingly accurate Rodgers playing. Now he can’t avoid rush as well.

Will the legendary chip on his shoulder prevent him from accepting that he needs to do some things differently as some of his athletic skills decline?

Fritz
11-21-2018, 03:00 PM
Well, if they work that chip by telling him everyone thinks there's no way he can adapt to his shoulder injury and learn to win differently, all will be well.

pbmax
11-21-2018, 08:20 PM
Well, if they work that chip by telling him everyone thinks there's no way he can adapt to his shoulder injury and learn to win differently, all will be well.

Why have you not been hired yet?