PDA

View Full Version : Official 2019 Free Agency Thread

pbmax
11-19-2018, 09:45 AM
Here is a list of suggested FA pickups AND contract terms.

Jadeveon Clowney (3-4 OLB)- 4 years, $66 million ($16.5 million AAV)

Tyrann Mathieu (S)- 2 years, $16.5 million ($8.25 million AAV)

Golden Tate (WR)- 3 years, $20 million ($6.67 million AAV)

Mark Glowinski (G)- 4 years, $38 million ($9.5 million AAV)

Total: $137.50 million for all contracts, $40.92 million added to 2019 cap

https://packerstalk.com/2018/11/19/potential-offseason-topics-to-look-forward-to/

I would be very conflicted about rooting for Golden Tate.

Joemailman
11-19-2018, 10:31 AM
If Pettine is the DC, I wouldn't pay Clowney that kind of money. Pettine has never relied principally on sacks from outside rushers, and this year has been no exception. Less than half of Packers 34 sacks are from outside rushers. Money would be better spent at Safety, Guard and ILB.

Smidgeon
11-19-2018, 10:48 AM
Do we need another WR with Adams and the two rookies progressing?

texaspackerbacker
11-19-2018, 10:49 AM
Clowney is more suited to a 4-3. I see him play for the Texans a lot, and he is hot and cold - not impressive enough for a max contract.

Tate I don't want, and we don't need a WR.

Glowinski maybe.

Mathieu doesn't seem all that impressive either, although we could use a quality Safety.

pbmax
11-19-2018, 11:01 AM
Someone has to play the slot.

Clowney's deal, as listed above, is nowhere near max contract, which is over $20 mil per year.

He'd be pretty solid in Pettine's system, which uses a OLB-DE sort of like an elephant end. The only question is how does his knee hold up for four years.

call_me_ishmael
11-19-2018, 11:08 AM
If Pettine is the DC, I wouldn't pay Clowney that kind of money. Pettine has never relied principally on sacks from outside rushers, and this year has been no exception. Less than half of Packers 34 sacks are from outside rushers. Money would be better spent at Safety, Guard and ILB.

It's a fair point buy boy, if you have a chance to sign a special talent like Clowney, all be it one who has injury problems, it's at least worth considering because he will draw a double or triple team and change everyone else's match-up.

It's moot though. I think the consensus was originally he did not expect to be tagged but now that narrative has totally changed and a tag is a foregone conclusion.

run pMc
11-19-2018, 11:35 AM

Depends on what happens with J'Mon, Cobb, and G-Mo. I'm optimistic ESB and MVS will make a Year 2 leap.
Would feel greasy rooting for Golden Taint.

In a different situation, I would be ok with the Ron Wolf way of finding guys at WR who might be a bit past their prime but know how to play and are willing to be a WR4. Those guys will get open and play meaningful snaps at some point in a year. It also helps to constantly draft receivers IMO, a lot of them flame out and their careers are much shorter than a franchise QB.

run pMc
11-19-2018, 11:38 AM
Honey Badger would be interesting, but I worry about the durability. They definitely need help at safety.

Haven't watched a lot of Texans football; I tend to think of Clowney as inconsistent, and with JJ Watt on the line you wonder if he's underachieving or just a victim of crazy expectations. I'd be worried he'd pull a Joe Johnson.

Anti-Polar Bear
11-19-2018, 12:37 PM

We need a quick-as-a-cat, route-running, preferably Aryan, midget slot wideout. A player like that would do wonders on 3rd and 2's. MVS and Adams are best suited for the flanker and split end.

Cobb won't be back. St. Paul, or whatever the heck his name is, is simply a JAG.

red
11-19-2018, 02:23 PM

also my question

red
11-19-2018, 02:30 PM
earl thomas

we need 2 starting quality safeties, be nice if one of the 2 were special

we need at least 1 starting OLB if fackerell keeps playing at this level

another starting ILB to go with the white mexican

and a starting guard and RT

Joemailman
11-19-2018, 02:48 PM
earl thomas

we need 2 starting quality safeties, be nice if one of the 2 were special

we need at least 1 starting OLB if fackerell keeps playing at this level

another starting ILB to go with the white mexican

and a starting guard and RT

These lists were out together at the end of August:

Safeties
1. Earl Thomas, SEA

2. Landon Collins, NYG

3. Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, GB

4. LaMarcus Joyner, LAR

5. Adrian Amos, CHI

6. Tyrann Mathieu, HOU

7. Marcus Gilchrist, OAK

8. Jimmie Ward, SF

9. Kareem Jackson, HOU

10. Tre Boston, ARI

Thoughts: Thomas, Collins, and Clinton-Dix are all former All-Pros that could easily earn the honor again this season, but the other options could be difference-makers for a new team, too. I think next year’s free agents at the position will have much better luck that this year’s because they are simply better players.

Edge defenders
1. Khalil Mack, OAK

2. Jadeveon Clowney, HOU

3. Brandon Graham, PHI

4. Ezekiel Ansah, DET

5. DeMarcus Lawrence, DAL

6. Clay Matthews, GB

7. Cameron Wake, MIA

8. Dante Fowler Jr., JAX

9. Dee Ford, KC

10. Carlos Dunlap, CIN

Linebackers
1. C.J. Mosley, BAL

2. Jordan Hicks, PHI

3. Anthony Barr, MIN

4. Avery Williamson, NYJ

5. Kwon Alexander, TB

6. Thomas Davis, CAR

7. Mychal Kendricks, CLE

8. Jake Ryan, GB

9. Deone Bucannon, ARI

10. Denzel Perryman, LAC

Thoughts: Linebacker is just about as loaded as running back, but I would think that C.J. Mosley and Jordan Hicks in particular are never allowed to hit free agency. The rest of the group could all possibly be available though, and they’ve each shown flashes of greatness in the league.

Guard
1. Rodger Saffold, LAR

2. Quinton Spain, TEN

3. Ramon Foster, PIT

4. Andy Levitre, ATL

5. Jamon Brown, LAR

6. Jonathan Cooper, SF

7. James Carpenter, NYJ

8. Cameron Erving, KC

9. Mike Iupati, ARI

10. John Jerry, NYG

Thoughts: There are a handful of above-average options at guard, but beyond that, teams will have to target veterans or disappointing former first-round picks that are looking to get their careers on track like Jonathan Cooper, Cameron Erving, and Chance Warmack (who doesn’t make the list).

Offensive tackle
1. Trent Brown, NE

2. Daryl Williams, CAR

3. Donovan Smith, TB

4. Bobby Massie, CHI

5. Cameron Fleming, DAL

6. Ereck Flowers, NYG

7. Ja’Wuan James, MIA

8. Jared Veldheer, DEN

9. Jake Fisher, CIN

10. Cedric Ogbuehi, CIN

Thoughts: This looks to be a very strong class for offensive tackles, but the top three guys might all be locked up with long-term deals relatively soon. He wasn’t a fit on the left side, but I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see Ereck Flowers rebuild his value at right tackle.

gbgary
11-19-2018, 03:17 PM
the time for cheaping out on free agency is over. rodgers is trending down his window is more closed than open. if clowney, or anyone else, is better than who we have you sign him. it's about the next 3-4 years. short term is the priority. long term went out the window when they extended rodgers.

pbmax
11-19-2018, 05:30 PM
So who is off these lists?

Obviously Mack has been extended.

Joemailman
11-19-2018, 05:52 PM
So who is off these lists?

Obviously Mack has been extended.

Don't know. I've read Giants will franchise Landon Collins if they can't reach a deal. Would Earl Thomas' broken leg affect his market value?

I've also read speculation Bobby Wagner could be a cap casualty. He'll have a cap hit of 14.1M next year. I don't buy it though. Seattle will have a lot of cap room next spring. That's someone I'd give a lot of money to though. He'd be great fit in Pettine's defense. Any defense I guess.

texaspackerbacker
11-19-2018, 07:07 PM
Earl Thomas might be a bit of a gamble, players usually recover well from leg breaks, and he might just be more affordable now. I'd rather have him than Mathieu if the money was similar.

I don't see Glowinski on that end of August list. Does that mean he is less highly regarded than the others? I honestly don't know much about most of those O Lineman, but I would hope we could sign a good one from both the Guard and Tackle list, trusting Gutekunst's judgment.

pbmax
11-19-2018, 08:30 PM
Here is the entire list, including possible voided contracts, tags and RFAs. Mack is not listed, so I assume they removed those that have agreed to an extension. If we cross reference this with Joe's list, should be current as of November 16th.

http://nfltraderumors.co/2019-nfl-free-agents-list/