PDA

View Full Version : Official Packers vs. Cardinals Discussion Thread

Joemailman
11-27-2018, 03:52 PM
So you're a Packer fan who doesn't have season tickets? Can't afford scalper's prices? Well this is your lucky week. It's a buyers market. https://www.vividseats.com/nfl/green-bay-packers-tickets/packers-vs-cardinals-1-4-2653703.html

As for the game, it's your last chance to see NFL legend Larry Fitzgerald. It's not a playoff game, so maybe he won't rip our hearts out.

Packers lead all-time series 47-25-4. Last meeting was the heartbreaking 26-20 overtime playoff loss suffered when Damarious Randall forgot to cover Larry Fitzgerald. Of course, this Arizona team is nothing like that one with rookie Josh Rosen having one of the NFL's lowest passer ratings. On defense, Chandler Jones is a rare bright spot with 11 sacks.

gbgary
11-27-2018, 04:11 PM
let's see...i bet the Packers manage to make this a nail-bitter somehow.

Joemailman
11-27-2018, 04:13 PM
let's see...i bet the Packers manage to make this a nail-bitter somehow.

If the Cardinals can line up Chandler Jones against Spriggs, anything is possible.

Carolina_Packer
11-27-2018, 04:32 PM
If the Cardinals can line up Chandler Jones against Spriggs, anything is possible.

The Cardinals are 30th in Rush Yards/Game. If Green Bay has the will to run the ball down their throats, and can use that to control the clock and help keep the defense rested, this could be like the Dallas game in 2015 when the Cowboys had Matt Cassell under center, and Lacy/Starks (I believe) both had 100 yards rushing. Then they can sprinkle in some pass plays should they be able to move the safeties closer to the LOS for run support, and hopefully open up the passing game. The question is whether they are willing to do that on offense.

Hopefully it's not as dramatic of a game as the San Fran game. This should be a laugher, but who knows?

beveaux1
11-27-2018, 04:36 PM
When your team is 4-6-1, no game is a laugher. We are what our record says we are. That said, I believe we'll win, but it will be a ball game.

Cheesehead Craig
11-27-2018, 06:23 PM
I have a friend who has 4 season tix that he's trying to sell for face value now. It's amazing how the tix prices have plummeted.

mraynrand
11-27-2018, 07:33 PM
I have a friend who has 4 season tix that he's trying to sell for face value now. It's amazing how the tix prices have plummeted.

I bet I could buy a ticket to the game in the first quarter for a left over brat from my tailgate.

Anti-Polar Bear
11-28-2018, 03:11 AM
Since tickets are cheap and Prof. Rand will be in town, let’s throw a Packerrats gathering, with Partial footing the bill. What say you, Partial? As a 1% elitist, the cost would be chump change to you.

Someone would need to adduct Harlan and drag him to Green Bay. Last time there was a gathering, I believe, Harlan, a champion of far left fielders (baseball reference, fyi) was offered free tix but surprisingly declined.

I wanna have a beer with the Kentucky, and tell him ‘bout the time I shut down Darren Charles. :)

Pugger
11-28-2018, 07:43 AM
Statistically AZ is the worst offensive team in the league, much worse than Buffalo is. They are ranked 32nd in every category I saw in nfl.com. They are better defensively, especially against the pass. Their pass rush is pretty good. They are one of the worst against the run but Stubby won't run the damn ball thus this won't be an easy game even tho we are at home.

bobblehead
11-28-2018, 08:47 AM
When your team is 4-6-1, no game is a laugher. We are what our record says we are. That said, I believe we'll win, but it will be a ball game.

No, we will blow them out. This is the new MM. Blow out bad teams and claim he is a good coach.

denverYooper
11-28-2018, 09:02 AM
No, we will blow them out. This is the new MM. Blow out bad teams and claim he is a good coach.

+ the Packers are better at home. They'll win this week.

pbmax
11-28-2018, 11:23 AM
I am taking the Cardinals this week.

Tom Silverstein @TomSilverstein
New from JSOnline and PackersNews: A ton of Packers from the 1996 Super Bowl team will be in Milwaukee for a reunion on Saturday (including Brett Favre) https://ift.tt/2QkvaV9 #Packers

Carolina_Packer
11-28-2018, 12:06 PM

New from JSOnline and PackersNews: A ton of Packers from the 1996 Super Bowl team will be in Milwaukee for a reunion on Saturday (including Brett Favre) https://ift.tt/2QkvaV9 #Packers

What is their home record when Favre comes to Lambeau to be celebrated? I know it happened in 2015 when Starr was there and the Packers lost to 'da Bears. Was there any other time?

pbmax
11-28-2018, 12:29 PM
What is their home record when Favre comes to Lambeau to be celebrated? I know it happened in 2015 when Starr was there and the Packers lost to 'da Bears. Was there any other time?

Yeah, I think they are 0-3 on his visits. Starr was after the HoF ceremony, but there were other visits.

pbmax
11-28-2018, 12:41 PM
Rob Demovsky @RobDemovsky

Not practicing:
Trevor Davis
Bashaud Breeland
Kentrell Brice
Tra Carson
Raven Green
Lane Taylor
David Bakhtiari
Mike Daniels
Jimmy Graham https://es.pn/2AwSR2A

Anti-Polar Bear
11-28-2018, 01:21 PM

Not practicing:
Trevor Davis
Bashaud Breeland
Kentrell Brice
Tra Carson
Raven Green
Lane Taylor
David Bakhtiari
Mike Daniels
Jimmy Graham https://es.pn/2AwSR2A

Davis hurt?

Unleash Kum!!! We need an Adam Thielen, and Kum could be that guy. And I’m not just making that comparison cos they’re both pale-skinned. Wait, guess I am.

I have alotta respect for Thielen. In the Rams-Queens game earlier this season, Thielen got smashed hard one play, and refs wanted him off the field, and Thielen was like, fuck you, I’m fine! Wish Cobb was that tough.

What do Rollins, Randall, J-Alex, J-Jax and T-Will all have common besides having played corner for the Pack? Thielen made them wanker corners his bitch.

gbgary
11-28-2018, 01:44 PM
Yeah, I think they are 0-3 on his visits.

that dude just needs to disappear.

Fritz
11-28-2018, 02:00 PM
that dude just needs to disappear.

He did, against the Giants in 2007.

mraynrand
11-28-2018, 02:06 PM

Just so long as they stay in Milwaukee. But it looks like you'd have to pay 'em to come up to GB anyway. Favre $1000, Wolf $200, or both come up together for $1155.

Joemailman
11-28-2018, 02:11 PM
Packers release LB Korey Toomer, sign S Eddie Pleasant.

The Packers originally signed Toomer on Sept. 3. He played in seven games and made three tackles while contributing mostly on special teams.

Pleasant arrives in Green Bay after playing his first six NFL seasons with the Houston Texans. He produced 86 tackles, 2.5 sacks, three interceptions and 17 pass breakups. In 2018, he spent time with the New England Patriots and Arizona Cardinals, the Packers’ Week 13 opponent.

Mike Pettine’s defense likely needed help at safety after losing Kentrell Brice to an ankle and head injuries on Sunday night in Minnesota. Pleasant also has vast special teams experience, a potentially valuable asset for a team dealing with a beat-up roster.

Pleasant, who will wear No. 35, originally worked out for the Packers on Oct. 18.

pbmax
11-28-2018, 03:01 PM
Pass protection and pass rush. Packers are pretty good at both. Which raises some interesting questions.

Top 10 Team Pass Rush Win Rate
RANK TEAM PASS RUSH WIN RATE
1 Panthers 62%
2 Rams 61%
3 Eagles 61%
4 Dolphins 60%
5 Redskins 58%
6 Packers 57%
7 Steelers 57%
8 49ers 56%
9 Cowboys 56%
10 Bills 56%

Top 10 Team Pass Block Win Rate
RANK TEAM PASS BLOCK WIN RATE
1 Rams 62%
2 Patriots 60%
3 Browns 60%
4 Chiefs 60%
5 Bears 58%
6 Packers 58%
7 Ravens 57%
8 Panthers 57%
9 Seahawks 55%
10 Bills 54%

pbmax
11-28-2018, 03:02 PM
Previous post plus this one are from here: http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25074144/nfl-pass-blocking-pass-rushing-stats-leaderboard-pass-block-win-rate-pass-rush-win-rate

Top individuals: Bach, Bulaga (very surprised by that) and Linsley are in Top 10 at position.

On defense, Daniels in Top 10 of interior defenders.

Joemailman
11-28-2018, 05:03 PM
https://primary-cdn-shortstop.espn.net/2fb441b0-ef55-4832-9740-fe607b749ab9.png

CaptainKickass
11-28-2018, 09:48 PM
How can the offense improve immediately with the current talent and play level they've shown this season? I have an idea: Tall-Ball

Tall-Ball is probably the first 3 plays that come to your mind using that description.

So where the hell is all of the "Tall Ball"? The receivers and tight ends are tall as fuck and they're all very able to jump. The "Luxury Automobile", even at his age, should be at least on par with a Bubba Franks type based on his size alone. I think they can improve immensely just by emphasizing this simple physical advantage.

pbmax
11-29-2018, 08:18 AM
How can the offense improve immediately with the current talent and play level they've shown this season? I have an idea: Tall-Ball

Tall-Ball is probably the first 3 plays that come to your mind using that description.

So where the hell is all of the "Tall Ball"? The receivers and tight ends are tall as fuck and they're all very able to jump. The "Luxury Automobile", even at his age, should be at least on par with a Bubba Franks type based on his size alone. I think they can improve immensely just by emphasizing this simple physical advantage.

I think a few people will agree with this. I think Rand has specifically mentioned Graham.

Its been a mixed bag though. Graham got a down the seam chance versus a linebacker last week and Rodgers hit him in his hands. But Graham had an awkward jump, may have been coming down when he snared it and he never secured it. I think between injuries and bad offense, the Packers offense is way down on reps with the new receivers (young WRs only started playing recently).

Cook was firmly in the offense by the last 6 games of his year even with a midseason injury.

pbmax
11-29-2018, 08:48 AM
Quarterbacking is Fundamental

My Fundamentals?! What About Your Fundamentals!!

One!
Singular sensation
Every little step he takes
One!
Thrilling fundamentals
Every move that he makes

Rogers and McCarthy refusing to identify mechanics as cause for concern. He says he is not playing any different. And I agree, he perfected the Favrian art of never being set when throwing. But the results haven't been quite the same since his second clavicle injury. Last year he was lacking strength, this year is inaccuracy.

https://247sports.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/Article/Aaron-Rodgers-Im-not-playing-any-different-125540547/

run pMc
11-29-2018, 09:55 AM
If the clavicles are an issue, solid fundamentals are more important than ever. He's in the 2nd half of his career, he can't rely on pure talent/athleticism anymore.

Joemailman
11-29-2018, 01:04 PM
If the clavicles are an issue, solid fundamentals are more important than ever. He's in the 2nd half of his career, he can't rely on pure talent/athleticism anymore.

This is pretty much what I've been thinking. Rodgers is saying he's not doing anything different. Someone may need to convince him that he HAS to do things different.

mraynrand
11-29-2018, 01:14 PM
I think a few people will agree with this. I think Rand has specifically mentioned Graham.

Its been a mixed bag though. Graham got a down the seam chance versus a linebacker last week and Rodgers hit him in his hands. But Graham had an awkward jump, may have been coming down when he snared it and he never secured it.

That was a pretty high degree of difficulty connection. I just want Rodgers to throw above his shoulders on a some simple routes. Graham should win almost every short 'post-up' pattern. Just feed him the ball.

mraynrand
11-29-2018, 01:18 PM
This is pretty much what I've been thinking. Rodgers is saying he's not doing anything different. Someone may need to convince him that he HAS to do things different.

The knee injury has scrambled his game. It's a pretty fine-tuned thing. Shoulder one year, knee the next. Again, he played through something he shoulda taken several weeks of for - but they don't have a backup they trust so that's where we are. He's not permanently damaged, so if he takes some effort to retool his game, he should be fine. Watch some Brees and Rivers to get an idea how to become that disciplined older QB. High on the list of offseason offense retooling should be finding a way to replace taking sacks with tossing outlet passes. That should always be there, even if just to throw the ball at a RB/TE/WR's feet to avoid getting mauled and losing yards.

pbmax
11-29-2018, 03:09 PM
That was a pretty high degree of difficulty connection. I just want Rodgers to throw above his shoulders on a some simple routes. Graham should win almost every short 'post-up' pattern. Just feed him the ball.

I thought Graham had an easy catch and made it difficult. I would watch it again, but my DVR cleverly taped the pregame show and not the actual game.

mraynrand
11-29-2018, 04:34 PM
I thought Graham had an easy catch and made it difficult. I would watch it again, but my DVR cleverly taped the pregame show and not the actual game.

Looked at it in NFL.com coach's tape. It's a 20 yard pass. Graham has a step on the defensive back, but he's close, so the ball is high and behind and he has to turn and adjust back to it. Of course, Rodgers may have thrown it back shoulder to prevent Harrison from having a shot at it from the other side so that makes it more difficult. The ball goes off the tips of Graham's fingers at full extension. It's a 'safe' throw and that made it very difficult.

gbgary
11-29-2018, 04:46 PM

i thought it was just too high for him. got finger tips on it but that was it.

Joemailman
11-29-2018, 05:22 PM
Cobb expects to play this week. Maybe we'll see some passes in the middle of the field.

Joemailman
11-29-2018, 05:25 PM
Not a big television audience for this one. Chris Myers and Daryl Johnston with the call.

http://506sports.com/2018/13-FOX-E-V4.png

pbmax
11-29-2018, 05:47 PM
Not a big television audience for this one. Chris Myers and Daryl Johnston with the call.

http://506spng

Mute button is ready.

pbmax
11-29-2018, 05:58 PM
i thought it was just too high for him. got finger tips on it but that was it.

I'm gonna need a GIF to be convinced :D

Cheesehead Craig
11-30-2018, 08:37 AM
Why is there that blue blip in eastern TN for a Packers/AZ game? That's just weird.

Joemailman
11-30-2018, 08:54 AM
Why is there that blue blip in eastern TN for a Packers/AZ game? That's just weird.

Don't know. It's apparently a recent change, along with Chico, CA. Chico is understandable. The rest of Tennessee is seeing Carolina at Tampa Bay.

Edit: Cobb may play this week. Cobb is from the Knoxville area. That's my guess.

Fritz
11-30-2018, 09:03 AM
I see a very close game and the wheels falling off.

Dougherty's article on it being time to part ways with McCarthy was good.

Joemailman
11-30-2018, 09:10 AM
I see a very close game and the wheels falling off.

Dougherty's article on it being time to part ways with McCarthy was good.

I see a Buffalo-type game. Cardinals defense may prevent a blowout. The Cardinals offense though is last in points scored, passing yards, rushing yards and 1st downs.

pbmax
11-30-2018, 10:59 AM
Yards per attempt are up, completion percentage down. Just as planned.

https://madison.com/wsj/sports/football/professional/packers-receiver-randall-cobb-says-aaron-rodgers-is-getting-ready/article_d1ad2b89-08bc-5f2d-8995-f8f761f518bc.html

mraynrand
11-30-2018, 11:08 AM

https://madison.com/wsj/sports/football/professional/packers-receiver-randall-cobb-says-aaron-rodgers-is-getting-ready/article_d1ad2b89-08bc-5f2d-8995-f8f761f518bc.html

“With our group, we talk about it all the time – this team goes as we go. And we collectively as a group we have to put our team in the best situation we can – and that means making big plays and having explosive gains on offense,” Cobb said.

Yep - what this team needs are more huge, explosive plays on offense to put the other team on it's heels. THROW THE BOMB!!!

Gotarace
11-30-2018, 11:45 AM
“With our group, we talk about it all the time – this team goes as we go. And we collectively as a group we have to put our team in the best situation we can – and that means making big plays and having explosive gains on offense,” Cobb said.

Yep - what this team needs are more huge, explosive plays on offense to put the other team on it's heels. THROW THE BOMB!!!

Cobb's been doing a lot of talking and very little playing...I hope to see him talking for another team soon.

Joemailman
11-30-2018, 12:07 PM

Do they see what's going on around the NFL? Y/A are exploding. Rodgers' YA may be up, but it's only 10th in the NFL. The 9 NFL QB's with a higher Y/A than Rodgers have an average completion pct. of 68.7, compared to Rogers' 61.7. Do they think that the only way to increase Y/A is to throw the ball further down the field?

Anti-Polar Bear
11-30-2018, 12:20 PM
I see a Buffalo-type game. Cardinals defense may prevent a blowout. The Cardinals offense though is last in points scored, passing yards, rushing yards and 1st downs.

Spoiled rich kids don’t love Futbol as much as kids of working class parents. That’s why Lamar Jackson will succeed and Josh Rosen will fail in the NFL. Of course, society has a spot in medical school a-waiting for Rosen.

pbmax
11-30-2018, 07:02 PM
Do they see what's going on around the NFL? Y/A are exploding. Rodgers' YA may be up, but it's only 10th in the NFL. The 9 NFL QB's with a higher Y/A than Rodgers have an average completion pct. of 68.7, compared to Rogers' 61.7. Do they think that the only way to increase Y/A is to throw the ball further down the field?

McCarthy's not been one to really study the numbers and certainly not the reason for what the numbers tell him. I can COMPLETELY see him look at Rodgers arc of declining yards per attempt and deciding the way to fix this is to throw deep more. That is Sherman Lewis levels of thinking there.

Redesigning the playbook has never been seriously considered.

Frankly, whatever doubt I had about McCarthy needing to go (which had increased as Rodgers play has worsened this year), this resolves all doubt. He has to go now.

I root for wins, because that is so much more fun. But I would be willing to stomach a collapse if it meant he definitely goes out the door.

He is 90% a good coach, but he just can't imagine past the horizon of his own idea about how offenses should be designed and game planned. How you can look at the quick stuff drives of the Bears/Vikes/Vikes games PLUS his 15 play scripts since the Washington game and say to yourself you are doing it right, this is just a blip, is beyond me.

It also increases my paranoia that McCarthy played his hand in the offseason really well. He should have been on his way out but he somehow got greater authority and removed an EVP from his reporting structure. Its down to Murphy to make this call. The one thing in his favor is that Murphy only approved a one year extension the time and M3 has had a lot of years and rope already.

pbmax
11-30-2018, 07:22 PM
Want a sign that the SI/Yahoo article was overstated and that McCarthy and the organization retain the respect of its players?

Why do any of these people, except perhaps Breeland, have any reason to hurry back this season?

Left tackle David Bakhtiari (knees) was able to practice on a limited basis, a good sign for his availability for Sunday. … Tight end Jimmy Graham (thumb) practiced with his broken thumb heavily taped, as it was last week, when he played limited snaps against Minnesota. … Cornerback Bashaud Breeland (groin) practiced on a limited basis, which might mean he’ll be able to return this week. … Cornerback Kevin King (hamstring) also continued to practice on a limited basis.

pbmax
12-01-2018, 02:05 PM
Bach, Cobb, Breeland and King all questionable, all expected to give it a go.

#Packers injury report: Brice, Davis, Daniels, Carson and Greene are out; Kevin King, David Bakhtiari, Lane Taylor, Randall Cobb and Bashaud Breeland are questionable.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DtR0mddVYAAykpI.jpg:large

pbmax
12-01-2018, 02:07 PM
Kumerow is a go.

The Packers are putting WR Jake Kumerow on the 53-man roster today, a source said. Expect a move to injured reserve to create a spot. https://es.pn/2AEy4Kp

pbmax
12-01-2018, 04:32 PM
Daniels and Davis to IR. There is now a FB.

Green Bay Packers @packers
#Packers activate WR Jake Kumerow to the 53-man roster

DL Mike Daniels & WR Trevor Davis placed on injured reserve; FB Danny Vitale promoted

Rutnstrut
12-01-2018, 05:20 PM

DL Mike Daniels & WR Trevor Davis placed on injured reserve; FB Danny Vitale promoted

Daniels is more dead weight they can dump after this season.

Anti-Polar Bear
12-01-2018, 05:32 PM

Told you, they should've never activated Davis. You were like, he's so special on ST. I was like, Kum is more important at WR.

pbmax
12-02-2018, 08:36 AM
Told you, they should've never activated Davis. You were like, he's so special on ST. I was like, Kum is more important at WR.

Davis is important on ST. You could see it in his returns. If we have to take future injuries into consideration rather than talent, then the entire roster will be Tramontana and his 21 clones.

But its possible Jake makes the active roster today.