PDA

View Full Version : Winston Moss just got the boot?

Rastak
12-04-2018, 08:45 PM
Saw it on Twitter......

#Packers interim Joe Philbin makes his first move. The tweet did not help. But there were a variety of factors over time. Philbin wants everyone on the same page.Ian Rapoport added,
Winston Moss

@Insanecane99
The Packers have informed me that there letting me go. #thankstwitter!
6:43 PM - 4 Dec 2018

red
12-04-2018, 08:59 PM
weird

pbmax
12-04-2018, 09:31 PM
That's just weird.

Was Moss just a bag man, a fixer, a body man, a spy in the ranks?

mraynrand
12-04-2018, 09:34 PM
The new Packers regime places a high priority on excellent grammar. Firing Moss was a no-brainer.

pbmax
12-04-2018, 09:55 PM
I forgot the erratic press conference. "I can't help you"

Jason Wilde @jasonjwilde
Jason Wilde Retweeted Gerry Fagan
C'mon. Did you watch his press conference a couple months ago? Can't you imagine that there was erratic behavior behind-the-scenes as well? No one is saying the team/Philbin didn't notice the Tweet. But he didn't get fired solely for a Tweet.

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-watch-packers-associate-coach-winston-moss-stares-down-reporters-video/i7o20p9vzqa51fekwc2ubbk4r

mraynrand
12-04-2018, 10:00 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-watch-packers-associate-coach-winston-moss-stares-down-reporters-video/i7o20p9vzqa51fekwc2ubbk4r

wow. Did this get talked about here? Wha happened?

pbmax
12-04-2018, 10:03 PM
wow. Did this get talked about here? Wha happened?

I don't remember it made much of a wave here. Originally I thought the reporters were just being dramatic. Watched it much later and was surprised.

Moss was up and down with media. Some liked him others, decidedly, did not. Wilde and Huber had good conversations with Moss about improving his press conference performance not that long ago. But he also could be erratic in his treatment of people, which you see in the video. Bit nutty.

pbmax
12-04-2018, 10:05 PM
Wilde speculates the erraticness extends beyond one press conference. I speculate that reporters have seen Moss be nuts more than once at a PC.

Jason Wilde @jasonjwilde
This is what now ex-#Packers associate head coach/LBs coach Winston Moss Tweeted earlier today. To be clear, Moss wasn’t fired over the Tweet. Nor was he fired for his erratic behavior at press conferences. Important to note, this was new interim head coach Joe Philbin’s call.

I assume this Tweet is sticking up for Mike and trying to align it with Packer history. Didn't work.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DtnuoQiXgAA5J5f.jpg

pbmax
12-04-2018, 10:07 PM
I don't remember it made much of a wave here. Originally I thought the reporters were just being dramatic. Watched it much later and was surprised.

Moss was up and down with media. Some liked him others, decidedly, did not. Wilde and Huber had good conversations with Moss about improving his press conference performance not that long ago. But he also could be erratic in his treatment of people, which you see in the video. Bit nutty.

Packer Report @PackerReport
As bizarre as the last year was with Moss, it's hard to juxtapose that with the night he talked to myself and @jasonjwilde after a training camp practice to talk about his performance with the media, which actually used to be good.

Jason Wilde @jasonjwilde
Will never forget this, Hubes. We crossed Oneida St. with him and talked for 20 minutes. He wanted our advice. And while we will all remember his final "I can't help you" press conference, there were other times when he was smart, insightful and helpful.

Even last year, he had the defining Kyler Fackrell quote. To think, he was considered a HC candidate. Seems like a lifetime ago.

Stop thinking and turn it loose.

red
12-04-2018, 10:40 PM
its starting to seem like people who were playing with less then full decks were being allowed to run this team

just what the fuck is going on at 1265

are they all drinking, or do we just allow mentally defective people run the joint?

Freak Out
12-04-2018, 10:45 PM
Less than full decks like Moss?

pbmax
12-04-2018, 10:46 PM
Winston Moss @Insanecane99
I have serve the Packers with all my heart and soul. I’ve given it my all. no regrets!

mraynrand
12-04-2018, 10:52 PM
Winston Moss @Insanecane99
I have serve the Packers with all my heart and soul. I’ve given it my all. no regrets!

me too

Joemailman
12-05-2018, 12:19 AM
Hasn't it seemed for a while that McCarthy held Moss in higher regard than anyone else did? He's been Associate Coach here but couldn't get as much as a coordinator job anywhere else. Probably not surprising that with McCarthy gone, Moss was vulnerable.

MadScientist
12-05-2018, 01:15 AM
Saw it on Twitter......

#Packers interim Joe Philbin makes his first move. The tweet did not help. But there were a variety of factors over time. Philbin wants everyone on the same page.Ian Rapoport added,
Winston Moss

@Insanecane99
The Packers have informed me that there letting me go. #thankstwitter!
6:43 PM - 4 Dec 2018

If you are curious about why he would put 'thanks twitter' in his note, it's possibly because he tweeted this before he got the axe:

Ponder this... what Championship teams have are great leadership! Period! It’s not the offensive guru trend, it’s not the safe trend. Find somebody that is going to hold #12 and everybody in this building to a #LombardiStandard! Period! #losingsucks!
— Winston Moss (@Insanecane99) December 4, 2018
https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2018/12/04/green-bay-packers-fire-associate-head-coach-winston-moss/2210454002/

Between this and his interview, this doesn't sound like any sort of a loss.

Fritz
12-05-2018, 04:26 AM
Hasn't it seemed for a while that McCarthy held Moss in higher regard than anyone else did? He's been Associate Coach here but couldn't get as much as a coordinator job anywhere else. Probably not surprising that with McCarthy gone, Moss was vulnerable.

I have give a lot of thought to this issue, and I can only conclude that attacking the franchise QB publicly in a tweet have not serve the team nor Moss very well.

A bit of a mystery, in the button-down Packer culture, how this guy survived as long as he did.

Anti-Polar Bear
12-05-2018, 04:41 AM
What's the big deal? All of McCarthy's assistants, from Philbin down to the waterboy, are dead men walking. The next coach is gonna purge everything and everyone, including the beloved Pettine, whose mediocre D doesn't inspire anything or anyone.

Might as well get out of cold, dark and dull Green Bay ASAP. Winter in Wisconsin sucks.

Fritz
12-05-2018, 06:22 AM
Yes, the next coach will bring in his own crew, as he should. But normally the interim guy keeps all the other assistants just to get through the year together. Moss's behavior has been erratic in the past, and his post about #12 was an egregious error. In terms of the future it's not a big deal, no, but the focus on Moss does make you wonder what McCarthy was doing, keeping him around as he did. Maybe Moss was a good coach, but in this NFL there's not much room for being off-the-cuff, especially in Green Bay.

Anti-Polar Bear
12-05-2018, 08:16 AM
Yes, the next coach will bring in his own crew, as he should. But normally the interim guy keeps all the other assistants just to get through the year together. Moss's behavior has been erratic in the past, and his post about #12 was an egregious error. In terms of the future it's not a big deal, no, but the focus on Moss does make you wonder what McCarthy was doing, keeping him around as he did. Maybe Moss was a good coach, but in this NFL there's not much room for being off-the-cuff, especially in Green Bay.

I fail to comprehend what Moss said that was so offensive that it warrants termination. Everyone and their baby's mama know that Rodgers game this year has been off. Great Arm of Butte deserves blame for not playing up to "Lombardi standard."

Regardless, its not like McCarthy was fired in week 3. Only 4 games left. Berlin has fallen. The Soviets are marching in. Gotta get out.

pbmax
12-05-2018, 08:19 AM

That is why I always thought of Moss as the bag or body man. He works for McCarthy, not the team.

pbmax
12-05-2018, 08:21 AM
I fail to comprehend what Moss said that was so offensive that it warrants termination. Everyone and their baby's mama know that Rodgers game this year has been off. Great Arm of Butte deserves blame for not playing up to "Lombardi standard."

Regardless, its not like McCarthy was fired in week 3. Only 4 games left. Berlin has fallen. The Soviets are marching in. Gotta get out.

Ask yourself, why did he pick now to Tweet it?

bobblehead
12-05-2018, 08:52 AM

And he was MMs guy. Makes you wonder....

Anti-Polar Bear
12-05-2018, 09:03 AM
Ask yourself, why did he pick now to Tweet it?

The writing's on the wall the moment McCarthy's head rolled. Moss knew that and he probably sought to get out of GB sooner rather than later. Packers still have to honor Moss' contract.

pbmax
12-05-2018, 09:22 AM
The writing's on the wall the moment McCarthy's head rolled. Moss knew that and he probably sought to get out of GB sooner rather than later. Packers still have to honor Moss' contract.

I think this is exactly right. Either he knew he was valued by McCarthy alone OR didn't want to be around without him.

So he launched a torpedo against the biggest name on the team.

If you think a guy doesn't want to be there, then say goodbye. This is just a diversionary tactic.

Rastak
12-05-2018, 09:39 AM
I think this is exactly right. Either he knew he was valued by McCarthy alone OR didn't want to be around without him.

So he launched a torpedo against the biggest name on the team.

If you think a guy doesn't want to be there, then say goodbye. This is just a diversionary tactic.

That seems to be a solid theory....only other one I can think of is Moss was extremely loyal to McCarthy, was really pissed, and felt Rodgers caused his termination so lashed out. It seems he has a history of spouting off whatever he feels at the moment.

pbmax
12-05-2018, 09:55 AM
That seems to be a solid theory....only other one I can think of is Moss was extremely loyal to McCarthy, was really pissed, and felt Rodgers caused his termination so lashed out. It seems he has a history of spouting off whatever he feels at the moment.

I get that. But it doesn't explain the timing. Moss didn't want to say this before, but once Mac was out, he wanted to say it.

denverYooper
12-05-2018, 09:57 AM
So was he saying they weren't holding Rodgers accountable?

Anti-Polar Bear
12-05-2018, 10:10 AM

There was no such thing as accountability under the McCarthy regime.

mraynrand
12-05-2018, 10:22 AM

:roll:

gbgary
12-05-2018, 10:28 AM

yup. how many times has that word been used since last year? A LOT...by players, coaches, and management! i don't disagree with what moss said. he knew exactly what would happen when he hit the "tweet" button. i know rodgers doesn't have an F to give that moss made him a focus in the tweet but i'm glad he did.

Fritz
12-05-2018, 10:32 AM

I think it's hard to read it any other way.

mraynrand
12-05-2018, 10:33 AM
yup.

Sure, no one was accountable ever. So Rodgers may have a swelled head - wouldn't be too surprising after everyone keeps telling him that he's the only player on the squad and no one else is responsible for any wins they ever had. Or maybe Moss is just making excuses because he sucks. How about that? Maybe when he's been a HC for a decade he can tell us all about it. I'm guessing the truth is in there somewhere between.

Get a Brain! Morans.

mraynrand
12-05-2018, 10:34 AM
I think it's hard to read it any other way.

Yes, that exactly what MOSS is saying. And it would make sense to take his word as absolute ironclad indisputable no-shades-of-grey-possible-at-all-ever truth.

gbgary
12-05-2018, 10:36 AM
philbin just said it wasn't a good fit with moss. lol

gbgary
12-05-2018, 10:39 AM
Get a Brain! Morans.

*morons*

mraynrand
12-05-2018, 10:48 AM
*morons*

I thought everyone knew this meme

https://proxy.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fi0.kym-cdn.com%2Fphotos%2Fimages%2Fnewsfeed%2F000%2F184%2 F740%2FGet-a-brain-morans-freeman.jpg&f=1

gbgary
12-05-2018, 10:55 AM
I thought everyone knew this meme

ha! forgot about that. what's morgan freeman doing there? lol

texaspackerbacker
12-05-2018, 11:03 AM
Does it occur to anybody that the Associate Head Coach might consider himself the logical Interim Coach - and make a stink about it when somebody else got chosen? That would seem to be the most likely route to getting canned.

Fritz
12-05-2018, 11:09 AM
Could be so, Tex. Could be. In that case, though, I wonder why the guy didn't just resign.

Anti-Polar Bear
12-05-2018, 11:15 AM
Could be so, Tex. Could be. In that case, though, I wonder why the guy didn't just resign.

Resign = quit = don’t get paid.

Cheesehead Craig
12-05-2018, 11:19 AM
Figured he was going to be fired at the end of the season anyways, so just wanted to spend Christmas and New Years with his family for a change.

mraynrand
12-05-2018, 11:23 AM

Some coaches just want to watch the world burn.

pbmax
12-05-2018, 11:34 AM

You are getting your troll memes confused. Tell us again why Desmond Bishop wasn't starting earlier?

pbmax
12-05-2018, 11:36 AM

They meaning he and McCarthy, I have to assume. :D

denverYooper
12-05-2018, 11:44 AM
They meaning he and McCarthy, I have to assume. :D

Yeah. It came off like he was throwing himself and his advocate under the bus.

pbmax
12-05-2018, 11:48 AM
Yeah. It came off like he was throwing himself and his advocate under the bus.

It was such a clever burn that the arsonist was ignited along with his accomplice.

mraynrand
12-05-2018, 01:29 PM
It was such a clever burn that the arsonist was ignited along with his accomplice.

Stubby may not even hire Moss to drive the golf cart around the Meadowlands...

George Cumby
12-05-2018, 02:35 PM

If Moss can't manage his interactions with GB Media, what would it be like with the NY Media? Man, I'd pay money for that.

Pugger
12-05-2018, 02:36 PM
Does it occur to anybody that the Associate Head Coach might consider himself the logical Interim Coach - and make a stink about it when somebody else got chosen? That would seem to be the most likely route to getting canned.

That was my first thought too. Perhaps he was pissed he didn't get the interim job so he wanted to take a shot across the bow at Philbin, Murphy and Gute.

3irty1
12-05-2018, 03:01 PM
Winston Moss is McCarthy's side kick. He might draw Rooney rule interviews but he was always going to follow McCarthy to his next job so of course he's going to defend him.

pbmax
12-05-2018, 03:49 PM

Stubby: I need you to get to the press and comment about how uncoachable Rodgers is ...

Mossman: Got it

Stubby: Its either got to be anonymous or you need to call out the entire org

Mossman: I know the perfect medium and message

Stubby: Most important, you can't get fired, I need a copy of the playbook and my McDonalds gift certificates in my top desk drawer. Cellcom just cancelled the campaign.

Mossman: I'll be sublime, slow burn, guaranteed

TWEET

Stubby's doorbell rings

Mossman: I got the gift certificates!

pbmax
12-05-2018, 03:50 PM
That was my first thought too. Perhaps he was pissed he didn't get the interim job so he wanted to take a shot across the bow at Philbin, Murphy and Gute.

This seems like the most likely scenario. Especially since I bet he sees himself as no nonsense.

He probably even dropped his drawers during the exit interview just like Singletary.

red
12-05-2018, 03:57 PM

this is what i'm thinking too

Fosco33
12-05-2018, 04:13 PM
Wait... Winston Moss gets canned? By philbin? Wasn’t he up for head coach discussion before?? Seems like philbin is positioning for next year... personally I’d like new HC, ST and Offensive staff but keep Pettine.

Was the plan all along to go w/ philbin and Pettine... 😑

Smidgeon
12-05-2018, 04:28 PM

That's Associate to the Head Coach.

denverYooper
12-05-2018, 05:21 PM
Wait... Winston Moss gets canned? By philbin? Wasn’t he up for head coach discussion before?? Seems like philbin is positioning for next year... personally I’d like new HC, ST and Offensive staff but keep Pettine.

Was the plan all along to go w/ philbin and Pettine... ��

Maybe Philbin has compromising pictures of Murphy.

QBME
12-05-2018, 07:38 PM

So sayeth Michael Scott to Dwight Schroot.

KYPack
12-05-2018, 08:11 PM
Moss was just a stooge anyway.

MM to the Jets or the Browns?

You'd think Browns, but maybe Dorsey wants to show he's got his own plan.

Rastak
12-05-2018, 08:26 PM
Moss was just a stooge anyway.

MM to the Jets or the Browns?

You'd think Browns, but maybe Dorsey wants to show he's got his own plan.

I would think the Browns would jump all over him, unless the guys they have that served in the Packers front office last year have some serious concerns about things inside the building.

mraynrand
12-05-2018, 08:28 PM

So sayeth Michael Scott to Dwight Schroot.

lol

Sparkey
12-07-2018, 10:58 AM
Maybe they are starting to hold everyone accountable ?

He was the outside linebackers coach.....

mraynrand
12-07-2018, 11:34 AM
BRING BLACK KEVIN GREEN!

Sparkey
12-07-2018, 11:46 AM
BRING BLACK KEVIN GREEN!

What about white Kevin Greene ?

George Cumby
12-07-2018, 07:43 PM
BRING BLACK KEVIN GREEN!

It. Is. Time.

mraynrand
12-08-2018, 07:33 AM
BRING BLACK KEVIN GREEN!

Kevin Greene Kevin Greene Kevin Greene Kevin Greene Kevin Greene . OK, spellcheck all fixed now.

Fritz
12-08-2018, 07:53 AM
I had to laugh about Demetrious Randall talking up Mike McCarthy and how great he was, and how unfair it was to fire him.

Yeah, Mr. Accountability himself. The guy McCarthy was willing to ditch for an unoroven backup quarterback, despite having talent at a position that was think, because he was such an ass clown in the locker room.

Anti-Polar Bear
12-08-2018, 12:37 PM
I had to laugh about Demetrious Randall talking up Mike McCarthy and how great he was, and how unfair it was to fire him.

Yeah, Mr. Accountability himself. The guy McCarthy was willing to ditch for an unoroven backup quarterback, despite having talent at a position that was think, because he was such an ass clown in the locker room.

What he supposed to say? That orangutans are smarter than McCarthy? McDummy could be coaching the Browns next season!

Hire Jim Harbaugh and then trade Keizer to the Browns for Randall. Then sign Kap.

mraynrand
12-08-2018, 12:56 PM

What he supposed to say?

It's a bit of unexpected maturity.

Joemailman
12-08-2018, 05:29 PM

2 reasons for his comments:

Playing for Hue Jackson might make you appreciate McCarthy more.

He might have read speculation that McCarthy will be his next coach.

QBME
12-08-2018, 06:13 PM
BRING BLACK KEVIN GREEN!

It's all about color with you....;)

Joemailman
12-08-2018, 07:12 PM
BRING BLACK KEVIN GREEN!

Are you referring to black or green? To have color you must have light. Black is the absence of all light. Green of course is a color.

QBME
12-08-2018, 08:19 PM
Are you referring to black or green? To have color you must have light. Black is the absence of all light. Green of course is a color.

Maybe (possibly, probably) I'm wrong, but generally accepted theory is black is the presence of all colors in the refraction of
photons.

I was only trying to make a social little joke. My bad.

mraynrand
12-08-2018, 11:20 PM

It does seem like forever ago that the poster 'MOBB DEEP' first used the phrase BRING BLACK XXXXX. I can no longer remember if the 'BLACK' was a deliberate or accidental misspelling of BACK. Regardless, I never tire of beating that dead horse.

pbmax
12-09-2018, 08:41 AM
Maybe (possibly, probably) I'm wrong, but generally accepted theory is black is the presence of all colors in the refraction of
photons.

I was only trying to make a social little joke. My bad.

White is the presence of all wavelengths of visible light. Black is the presence of all colors in more tangible forms.

Teamcheez1
12-10-2018, 08:35 PM
"Rodgers has been the head coach for the past nine years"

Latest headline from Moss burning the remaining bridges with the Packers.

pbmax
12-12-2018, 09:43 AM
Gotta post this before I forget. Michael Cohen's podcast made two points about Moss' firing that I was unaware of.

Pettine answered some direct Moss questions in his PC that week. He denied there was communication trouble between the two (see below) but basically did admit that Moss was not the easiest guy to talk to even coach to coach. So whatever personality quirks were evident in his PCs carried over to his work. And I am not sure it was explicitly mentioned on this board, but after his mini-rant about not being able to help reporters, his PCs were cancelled. Pettine did say, as an example of how they were able to work together, that Moss normally had the answers they might be looking for and if he didn't, he would be able to get them.

https://www.packers.com/video/pettine-on-mccarthy-can-t-put-into-words-how-much-respect-and-gratitude-i-have

Wilde had an article with player quotes that Moss and Pettine were communicating barely at all as the season progressed. I cannot find that article now, but will update the post if I find it.

gbgary
12-12-2018, 09:58 AM
"Rodgers has been the head coach for the past nine years"

Latest headline from Moss burning the remaining bridges with the Packers.

he was joking. i've seen 3 interviews with him now and have become a fan. he's a players coach and has his guys backs. he had MM's back. loves the club and the fans.