PDA

View Full Version : Official nice things to say about Mike McCarthy thread

Vincenzo
12-08-2018, 01:15 AM
After reading of his exit this week from the Packers I'll start by saying that I'm not surprised to learn of how classy he is as a person.

As a Head Coach I liked him most during the 2011 season when he led our undefeated Pack the morning of Sunday December 18th, 2011 into Kansas City, we were World Champions with a 13-0 record. At that point he was on the very top of the NFL mountain.

Anti-Polar Bear
12-08-2018, 03:26 AM
TMZ has a pic of McCarthy’s 25/26 year old daughter. Says she’s an aspiring actress living in LA. Nice looking, I think.

mraynrand
12-08-2018, 07:30 AM
I liked his "we'll" play 'em in a parking lot comment.

I also like hearing that he was going pull Favre for Rodgers in the NFCC game against the Giants. I kinda wish he'd done it. It would have been an all-time ballsy move. As I recall Cleft Crusty advocated for that too, indirectly. Cleft Crusty is an old curmudgeon and a real idiot, but sometimes he makes sense.

I think he's a tough guy and mostly respected by his players. He sent D. Randall packing and the guy still respects him. Maybe.

Fritz
12-08-2018, 07:54 AM
He was a good coach - he could keep a team together during dark times, and apparently was able to get his teams to believe in themselves. He and Aaron Rodgers practically dragged that shitty team to the NFC Championship game against Atlanta a couple years ago.

Pugger
12-08-2018, 08:06 AM
https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2018/12/07/mike-mccarthy-took-out-full-page-ad-thank-packers-fans/2244252002/

ND72
12-08-2018, 09:29 AM
TMZ has a pic of McCarthy’s 25/26 year old daughter. Says she’s an aspiring actress living in LA. Nice looking, I think.

She's hot. I'm not saying, but I'm just saying.

I struggle with the "class" of McCarthy considering his now wife, was married when he got her pregnant. :clap:

George Cumby
12-08-2018, 09:51 AM
Good leader.

TravisWilliams23
12-08-2018, 12:56 PM
He had it rolling early in his career with the team. Stood steadfast in turning over the reigns to Arod despite the Favre fan base against the move. Had the team to the top of the mountain and always in the hunt for the big prize almost every year. Since this is a say nice things about MM, I'll just stop there.

mraynrand
12-08-2018, 12:58 PM
I struggle with the "class" of McCarthy considering his now wife, was married when he got her pregnant. :clap:

This is the thread to say nice things. Like: "McCarthy is exceptionally fertile"

pbmax
12-08-2018, 02:45 PM
This is the thread to say nice things. Like: "McCarthy is exceptionally fertile"

He leaves it all on the field.

pbmax
12-08-2018, 02:56 PM
McCarthy was just the exact right of stubborn for public consumption. Even with some talkative players he had the team pulling in the same direction. Packer media rarely crossed him up. National media wanted that team photo thing to be THE story for four days to give them something to do other than figure out how to pronounce Weyauwega during Super Bowl Pregame Week 1. McCarthy shut it down in one afternoon.

He was open to changing his mind almost any part of his team. Practice, scheme, coaching. The one area he was too inflexible in would be his undoing, but he wasn't particularly doctrinaire about anything except that offense. That offense and his personnel groups were cutting edge for 4 years. He got another 2 out of his no huddle. If his offense became a weak spot, it was a hell of an accomplished weak spot.

With a very small number of exceptions, he did not bury players in public. His players rewarded him by mostly taking the hint and owning up in public.

He was patient and supportive of draft and develop. Not all coaches would support and thrive with it.

He is going to be very hard to replace. I would have preferred to find a way to improve the weak spots and keep him around.

denverYooper
12-08-2018, 03:21 PM
He built and ran a solid program for many, many years and players and former players seem to have nothing but respect for him as a leader.

Joemailman
12-08-2018, 05:26 PM
I liked his "we'll" play 'em in a parking lot comment.

Those kind of things were his best moments.I always liked the fact that he had the players fitted for rings the night before the Super Bowl.

wist43
12-08-2018, 07:24 PM
I agree that McCarthy was/is a good coach... he simply didn't adapt to the changing landscape of the NFL.

He'll get another HC gig, but if he doesn't update his approach, he'll fail there too.

McCarthy runs an offense that has no place or roll for guys like Tarik Cohen or Hill from KC. He never uses motion, he rarely pulls or traps, he never uses misdirection... he's become a dinosaur.

denverYooper
12-08-2018, 07:41 PM
I agree that McCarthy was/is a good coach... he simply didn't adapt to the changing landscape of the NFL.

He'll get another HC gig, but if he doesn't update his approach, he'll fail there too.

McCarthy runs an offense that has no place or roll for guys like Tarik Cohen or Hill from KC. He never uses motion, he rarely pulls or traps, he never uses misdirection... he's become a dinosaur.

It seemed like he was trying to add some updates but never was able to work them in as an organic part of his playcalling. They would show up as one-offs. For him it was too little and too late. I hope he hires some new talent at OC in his next gig and gives up playcalling.

I know he tried to give up playcalling after the Seattle NFCC game but he handed it over to someone running his design.

Gotarace
12-09-2018, 12:53 AM
Mike was loyal to his coaching staff to a Fault...I think his inability to cut dead wood from the staff loose cost him his job.

Fritz
12-09-2018, 07:42 AM
He leaves it all on the field.

He's like a kid out there. A 15 year old boy, to be exact.

pbmax
12-09-2018, 08:44 AM
It seemed like he was trying to add some updates but never was able to work them in as an organic part of his playcalling. They would show up as one-offs. For him it was too little and too late. I hope he hires some new talent at OC in his next gig and gives up playcalling.

I know he tried to give up playcalling after the Seattle NFCC game but he handed it over to someone running his design.

Exactly. He had an idea how an offense should work and it was rooted in his base offense from 2006. It was very successful but it fundamentally did not change even as he adjusted formations, players and tempo.

Cheesehead Craig
12-09-2018, 09:51 AM
He helped keep Golden Corral in business.

pbmax
12-09-2018, 12:13 PM

Its too bad giving it up didn't work a little better. Being HC and not calling plays, actually being able to watch the entire breadth of the game might have shifted his perspective. He thought there was some magical mix of play calls that would fix what ails his offense. But he just kept making his job (an Rodgers job) much more difficult.

texaspackerbacker
12-09-2018, 05:38 PM
There's a fine line/a small gap between winning and losing, and that gap is filled in by LUCK and Circumstances - injuries and bad officiating at the top of that list. That is true by the game; And it is more true by the season where injuries and a few plays can make or break things.

You could say that McCarthy was a victim of that.

pbmax
12-23-2018, 07:28 PM
Aaron Nagler @AaronNagler
Jay Glazer just said Mike McCarthy is refusing to talk to teams that currently have a head coach in place. Would suggest teams have at least reached out to his agent.

So has anyone called or is this a way to suggest they call at a certain time?

call_me_ishmael
12-23-2018, 09:54 PM
I am sure people have called. It's Mike flippin' McCarthy, a top 20 coach in NFL history and the best coach in the history of the NFCN.

Rutnstrut
12-25-2018, 01:08 AM
Jay Glazer just said Mike McCarthy is refusing to talk to teams that currently have a head coach in place. Would suggest teams have at least reached out to his agent.

It's probably more like he refuses to consider teams that don't have stud QB's to cover up his ineptness.

bobblehead
12-25-2018, 10:25 AM
Fat Mikes players only knelt once, and it was in response to Trump. He kept his entire roster on its feet all but ONE time. I gotta give the man credit for that.

bobblehead
12-25-2018, 10:31 AM

Since every team has a head coach in place I take it this way. No one has called. Mike is trying to show class, but still letting teams know he is interested in coaching. Wonder why he didn't tell his wife "I refuse to talk to you while you have a husband in place".

bobblehead
12-25-2018, 10:34 AM
I am sure people have called. It's Mike flippin' McCarthy, a top 20 coach in NFL history and the best coach in the history of the NFCN.

He is only the 3rd best packer coach, yet you call him top 20 all time? Not even close. He WAS a very good coach. One who could definitely win with talent. His entire offense is yesterday and unless he shows some ability to use a RB out of the backfield or a TE in the middle of the field he will never be a winning coach again unless he has a healthy HOF QB at his disposal.

mraynrand
12-25-2018, 12:30 PM
Wonder why he didn't tell his wife "I refuse to talk to you while you have a husband in place".

lolz. Stubby's stomach isn't the only organ in his body that has priority.

Vincenzo
12-25-2018, 03:16 PM
lolz. Stubby's stomach isn't the only organ in his body that has priority.
Never really could get the weight gain knock on the guy. Do you know how many men gain weight in their 50’s? - it’s about as natural as a receding hairline or it going grey. I guess the pressure of the job was obviously getting to him and over-eating was his release. Andy Reid and Rex Ryan are other examples.

Vincenzo
12-25-2018, 03:54 PM
Since every team has a head coach in place I take it this way. No one has called. Mike is trying to show class, but still letting teams know he is interested in coaching. Wonder why he didn't tell his wife "I refuse to talk to you while you have a husband in place".
“On Monday, Peter King wrote in his Football Morning in America column that he hears that McCarthy “likes Arizona and would be interested in exploring the job.” This is per PFT.
I think Mike could improve things in Arizona. Things are hurting there and MM’s team organizational skills could be the difference. I hope the guy succeeds.

mraynrand
12-25-2018, 04:22 PM
Never really could get the weight gain knock on the guy. Do you know how many men gain weight in their 50’s? - it’s about as natural as a receding hairline or it going grey. I guess the pressure of the job was obviously getting to him and over-eating was his release. Andy Reid and Rex Ryan are other examples.

I mostly worry about him - and other coaches who put on so much weight. It's not good for 'em. Denny Green (a very nice guy, BTW) died too young from complications.

pbmax
12-25-2018, 09:51 PM
In all the mysteries of the human heart, the divorce papers reign supreme.

pbmax
12-25-2018, 09:52 PM
McCarthy would be walking into a very Packer situation with Rosen and the Cardinals. They blew apart a great D to bring in a new system and it backfired spectacularly and he'd have a young QB to mold.

Gonna need to do it on the fly; no Favre and no Jennings to help.

run pMc
12-26-2018, 11:30 AM
McCarthy would be walking into a very Packer situation with Rosen and the Cardinals. They blew apart a great D to bring in a new system and it backfired spectacularly and he'd have a young QB to mold.

Gonna need to do it on the fly; no Favre and no Jennings to help.

Yeah, that was my thought too -- with proper coaching Rosen could turn out good. Fitzgerald is retiring, yes? They still have David Johnson, Christian Kirk, and a few players on D (Chandler Jones, P.Peterson) so he'd have a few pieces to work with, but IIRC their OL is a disaster. Definitely a rebuild project out there though. Maybe they could overpay for some of GB's FA's and give Gute some '20 comp picks.

bobblehead
12-28-2018, 03:43 PM

I knock myself when I gain weight too. Its not a knock as much as just a thing. I like to eat. I go through periods of starvation to get it back under control. It don't make fat mike a bad person, just a fat person. Stubby on the other hand is an insult of personality.

ZachMN
12-28-2018, 04:54 PM
This:

'he never uses misdirection... '

Especially in short yardage/goal line situations.....My god the most obvious tactic.......

call_me_ishmael
12-29-2018, 09:16 PM
He is only the 3rd best packer coach, yet you call him top 20 all time? Not even close. He WAS a very good coach. One who could definitely win with talent. His entire offense is yesterday and unless he shows some ability to use a RB out of the backfield or a TE in the middle of the field he will never be a winning coach again unless he has a healthy HOF QB at his disposal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_National_Football_League_head_coaches_with _50_wins

Sort by winning percentage. He's number 20, and would be 19 if not for a rough year this year obviously.

Ball don't lie - so why do you? My post was 100% factual and accurate. Was yours?

beveaux1
12-30-2018, 05:47 PM
Good things to say--He's a lot better than Philbin, who lost 31-0 at home to a last place Lions team.

mraynrand
12-30-2018, 09:20 PM
Stubby may be the next coach of the Vikings

call_me_ishmael
12-30-2018, 11:56 PM
Given the openings, I think this is the right call for Mike. Take some time off, enjoy life with the kids, etc. If Baker Mayfield was in a less dysfunctional place, I'd definitely listen. What other opening has a QB outside of GB?

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/cardinals-willing-to-give-mike-mccarthy-full-control-of-organization-but-hell-still-likely-sit-out-2019/

Next year, he might have a very legitimate chance to coach Big Ben and the epitome of stable organizations. That's worth waiting for in my opinion.

Edit: Man, it's tough, 'cause Cleveland has legit talent, Mayfield looks the part, and they have a top notch GM in Dorsey. Still though, they're fricking Cleveland and Jimmy Haslem is bad for business.

bobblehead
12-31-2018, 12:00 AM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_National_Football_League_head_coaches_with _50_wins

Sort by winning percentage. He's number 20, and would be 19 if not for a rough year this year obviously.

Ball don't lie - so why do you? My post was 100% factual and accurate. Was yours?

You didn't say top 20 best winning % in history, you said top 20 coach in history. He is not. So your revisionist logic is typical you. And your original post was an opinion therefore neither accurate nor inaccurate. My rebuttal was also opinion. Ball may not lie, but CMI does...often.

esoxx
12-31-2018, 12:01 AM
Stubby may be the next coach of the Vikings

Zimmer may be the next coach of the Packers

call_me_ishmael
12-31-2018, 12:01 AM
You didn't say top 20 best winning % in history, you said top 20 coach in history. He is not. So your revisionist logic is typical you. And your original post was an opinion therefore neither accurate nor inaccurate. My rebuttal was also opinion. Ball may not lie, but CMI does...often.

Go away. You are exactly what your record says you are. And his record says he's a top 20 coach in NFL history. Now bugger off, yeah?

bobblehead
12-31-2018, 12:08 AM
Go away. You are exactly what your record says you are. And his record says he's a top 20 coach in NFL history. Now bugger off, yeah?

https://athlonsports.com/nfl/25-greatest-head-coaches-nfl-history

Gee, there is more than one way to assess.

texaspackerbacker
12-31-2018, 12:20 AM

Speaking of 100% factual and accurate, McCarthy's record was 125-77-2 - a shade under 62%. That puts him 3% lower than Mike Sherman 52-28 - 65%. So are you saying Sherman also was in the top 20 all time, somewhere above McCarthy? Myself, I always had a high opinion of Sherman, but a lot of the posters in here didn't seem to share that opinion.

3rd best Packer coach? Obviously Lombardi and Holmgren were better any way you look at it. It's hard to put McCarthy ahead of the guy they named the stadium for, though. And by your own standard, Sherman has McCarthy beat.

mraynrand
12-31-2018, 06:54 AM
Zimmer may be the next coach of the Packers

Whether Zimmer was right or wrong in his power struggle with the OC, that whole drama, and the ineffective offense really damages him. If the Vikings let him go, I think he gets hired elsewhere, but not sure the Packers would pull that trigger seeing what they invested in the offense.

pbmax
12-31-2018, 08:01 AM
Bob McManaman

Hearing former Packers coach Mike McCarthy will be the next head coach of the Browns.

The other open job with a QB might be the Cardinals.

Joemailman
12-31-2018, 08:07 AM
Whether Zimmer was right or wrong in his power struggle with the OC, that whole drama, and the ineffective offense really damages him. If the Vikings let him go, I think he gets hired elsewhere, but not sure the Packers would pull that trigger seeing what they invested in the offense.

Vikings are in a tough spot. Almost no salary cap room, and paying 28 million per year to a QB with a clear reputation for not playing well in big games.

mraynrand
12-31-2018, 08:16 AM
Bob McManaman

Hearing former Packers coach Mike McCarthy will be the next head coach of the Browns.

The other open job with a QB might be the Cardinals.

Browns also requested interview with Flores and will interview Bounty Williams.

denverYooper
12-31-2018, 10:49 AM

It's interesting how the loss of a coach (OC in this case) often upsets the balance of a good team. The Vikings last year looked like they might dominate for a few years, at least.

The Packers never really regained their footing after Philbin left. The Falcons struggled a lot after Shannahan left. The Eagles staff got picked apart and they are struggling as well.

I'm waiting for Fangio to get called up and the Bears defense to fall off :evil:

pbmax
12-31-2018, 01:12 PM
Flores?!

mraynrand
12-31-2018, 01:16 PM
Flores?!

Brian Flores, NE LB coach and provisional coordinator. Yes.

pbmax
12-31-2018, 01:27 PM
Brian Flores, NE LB coach and provisional coordinator. Yes.

Yeah I know. But people ought to have figured this out by now.

mmmdk
12-31-2018, 01:52 PM
Dear Stubby, thanx for being a part of a Green Bay Packers super bowl win - especially versus a NFL powerhouse like Steelers. :tup:

woodbuck27
12-31-2018, 02:25 PM
Keeping it positive and now that he's gone the criticisms no longer matter:

Former Packer Head Coach Mike McCarthy can claim he shares some history with the only other ' Super Bowl Winning HC ' fired before the Seasons end. That fella was also of Irish American Heritage or ' the Colts’ Don McCafferty ', FIRED before the regular season schedule ended 46 Years ago.

** Mike McCarthy recorded a second best final result for his Career Head Coaching stint on the Packers' all-time wins list, behind only Hall of Famer Curly Lambeau (212). He left the Packers with 135 Regular Season and Post Season WINS ! Oversal;l MM had a 135 - 85 and 2 Ties Record for a 0.608 Winning Percentage.

* This is impressive and Mike McCarthy loved the community of Green Bay and it seemed to me that he gave back to his community. He was a
'a blue coller' fella and fiurehead in a community that would easily accept him.:

https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2018/12/07/mike-mccarthy-took-out-full-page-ad-thank-packers-fans/2244252002/

Mike McCarthy takes out a full-page ad to show his appreciation for the Green Bay faithful

By: JR Radcliffe, Packers News ... Published 5:31 p.m. CT Dec. 7, 2018 | Updated 9:03 p.m. CT Dec. 7, 2018

pbmax
01-01-2019, 01:51 PM
NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Jets are expected to interview former Packers coach Mike McCarthy for their head coaching job.
This will be his first known interview. Despite widespread interest, McCarthy has mostly laid low since his departure from Green Bay. McCarthy has been noncommittal about coaching in 2019, citing a reluctance to uproot his family. However, the Jets appear to have piqued his interest and for good reason. With a high draft pick coming and a future franchise quarterback in Sam Darnold, not to mention the bright lights and prestige of coaching in New York City, the Jets' vacancy presents arguably the most enticing job in this year's coaching cycle. Bob McManaman of the Arizona Republic reported Sunday the Browns were zeroing in on McCarthy, though that seems to have been a misnomer.
Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter Jan 1 - 12:35 PM

He's been linked to the Cardinals, Browns, Jets and Bucs. Browns are the best job in that group. Jets and Cardinals need new GMs. No idea what is happening to the Bucs except they can throw TDs like no one's business.

Smidgeon
01-01-2019, 01:57 PM
NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Jets are expected to interview former Packers coach Mike McCarthy for their head coaching job.
This will be his first known interview. Despite widespread interest, McCarthy has mostly laid low since his departure from Green Bay. McCarthy has been noncommittal about coaching in 2019, citing a reluctance to uproot his family. However, the Jets appear to have piqued his interest and for good reason. With a high draft pick coming and a future franchise quarterback in Sam Darnold, not to mention the bright lights and prestige of coaching in New York City, the Jets' vacancy presents arguably the most enticing job in this year's coaching cycle. Bob McManaman of the Arizona Republic reported Sunday the Browns were zeroing in on McCarthy, though that seems to have been a misnomer.
Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter Jan 1 - 12:35 PM

He's been linked to the Cardinals, Browns, Jets and Bucs. Browns are the best job in that group. Jets and Cardinals need new GMs. No idea what is happening to the Bucs except they can throw TDs like no one's business.

I heard (can't remember the source) that AZ was willing to offer McCarthy full control to get him.

bobblehead
01-02-2019, 11:09 AM

Tony Dungy....Better than Bill Walsh and Curly Lambeau...got it.

pbmax
01-21-2019, 08:59 AM
Peter Bukowski
@Peter_Bukowski

Sean Payton
5 division titles
7 playoff appearances
1 Super Bowl
4 losing seasons

Mike McCarthy
6 division titles
9 playoff appearances
1 Super bowl
3 losing seasons

Rutnstrut
01-21-2019, 09:34 AM
Peter Bukowski
@Peter_Bukowski

Sean Payton
5 division titles
7 playoff appearances
1 Super Bowl
4 losing seasons

Mike McCarthy
6 division titles
9 playoff appearances
1 Super bowl
3 losing seasons

Payton is losing on flukes in the playoffs. He is also trying and being creative. Stubby was uncreative his last 3 or 4 years and really not very good.

mraynrand
01-21-2019, 10:07 AM
Payton is losing on flukes in the playoffs. He is also trying and being creative. Stubby was uncreative his last 3 or 4 years and really not very good.

https://www.roemerphotoblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/01-Sean-Payton-Mike-McCarthy.jpg

mraynrand
01-21-2019, 10:10 AM

Thanks god Stubby never lost a playoff game on a fluke. Those would probably get on our nerves.

http://www.packershistory.net/files/PACKERS/2009PACKERS-CardinalsPlayoffs.JPG

mraynrand
01-21-2019, 10:11 AM
Thanks god Stubby never lost a playoff game on a fluke. Those would probably get on our nerves.

https://movietvtechgeeks.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/brandon-bostick-football-nfl-blunder-green-bay-packers-2015.jpg

mraynrand
01-21-2019, 10:14 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_tnoT4YwnM

Vincenzo
01-21-2019, 10:19 AM
Peter Bukowski
@Peter_Bukowski

Sean Payton
5 division titles
7 playoff appearances
1 Super Bowl
4 losing seasons

Mike McCarthy
6 division titles
9 playoff appearances
1 Super bowl
3 losing seasons
Wow. From what I read Sean Payton was always considered a much more aggressive play caller then Mike McCarthy over the years. I don’t really follow the Saints but both these 2 coaches have obviously had pretty similar careers. I do know that at some point the Saints stripped Sean Payton of his play calling duties, pretty much the same way the Packers did to MM.
McCarthy’s career took a nose dive while Payton’s stock could now be considered on the rise with a NFCC appearance, a #1 seed ranking and a C-hair away from another Super Bowl appearance just yesterday. And actually one could argue that his Saints were completely ripped off with that non-call by the referees.

And when you’re doing any sort of comparing with these 2 you have take in to consideration that Bounty Scandal on Payton’s resume, the guy was pretty much disgraced by it.

Joemailman
01-21-2019, 10:24 AM

You forgot one.

http://www.manolith.com/wp-content/uploads//2013/01/favre-interception-giants.jpg

mraynrand
01-21-2019, 10:27 AM
You forgot one.

http://www.manolith.com/wp-content/uploads//2013/01/favre-interception-giants.jpg

Favre throwing a game, playoff, season, and career-ending INT is not a fluke.

pbmax
01-21-2019, 11:40 AM
I love it when a non-plan comes together.

Rutnstrut
01-21-2019, 01:34 PM
The Arizona game was lost due to shitty defense. The Seattle game was lost due to a total meltdown by stubby. Call them flukes if you want and it makes you feel better. Just remember there was a reason he was fired, he sucked. That was pretty much proven when no one wanted to hire him.

Bossman641
01-21-2019, 01:46 PM
Saints - 2 early chances to score td and bury the Rams but had to settle for fg's. Special teams allowed a fake. Later lost on a fluke.

Packers vs Sea - twice had to settle for fg in the red zone. Special teams allowed a fake fg. Lost on a series of flukes (the balloon 2 point conversion, bostick)

Payton is a hot coach again because they had an all-timer draft and walked away with lattimore, ramczyk, kamara in the top 67 picks.

mraynrand
01-21-2019, 02:10 PM
The Arizona game was lost due to shitty defense. The Seattle game was lost due to a total meltdown by stubby. Call them flukes if you want and it makes you feel better. Just remember there was a reason he was fired, he sucked. That was pretty much proven when no one wanted to hire him.

You have tunnel vision, but it's OK. Still, I find it very strange to say the Packers lost the AZ game because of their defense, when Rodgers fumbled the game away after missing Jennings on a sure TD. But the real question was whether the game was lost on a fluke, like the fluky play at the end of the Saints game. Even with your tunnel vision you should be able to acknowledge what a crazy final play it was.

Also, you Said Payton lost on a fluke. But didn't he really lose because his signature offense couldn't score more at home in the playoffs? I mean, they rang up Philly for 48 in the regular season, then barely beat them with 20 in the playoffs. They rang up the Rams for 45 and could only score 23. I believe it's a little of both - for the Packers and the Saints.

pbmax
01-21-2019, 03:26 PM
You have tunnel vision, but it's OK. Still, I find it very strange to say the Packers lost the AZ game because of their defense, when Rodgers fumbled the game away after missing Jennings on a sure TD. But the real question was whether the game was lost on a fluke, like the fluky play at the end of the Saints game. Even with your tunnel vision you should be able to acknowledge what a crazy final play it was.

Also, you Said Payton lost on a fluke. But didn't he really lose because his signature offense couldn't score more at home in the playoffs? I mean, they rang up Philly for 48 in the regular season, then barely beat them with 20 in the playoffs. They rang up the Rams for 45 and could only score 23. I believe it's a little of both - for the Packers and the Saints.

Either the team coached by a man better than McCarthy wins, or its a fluke.

mraynrand
01-21-2019, 05:36 PM
Either the team coached by a man better than McCarthy wins, or its a fluke.

what if.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27ztFtLKvuQ

Rutnstrut
01-21-2019, 06:56 PM
Saints - 2 early chances to score td and bury the Rams but had to settle for fg's. Special teams allowed a fake. Later lost on a fluke.

Packers vs Sea - twice had to settle for fg in the red zone. Special teams allowed a fake fg. Lost on a series of flukes (the balloon 2 point conversion, bostick)

Payton is a hot coach again because they had an all-timer draft and walked away with lattimore, ramczyk, kamara in the top 67 picks.

So you are blaming TT? I can get behind that.

bobblehead
01-21-2019, 08:00 PM

When you get only one interview and lose out to Adam Gase......

call_me_ishmael
01-21-2019, 08:24 PM

This isn’t at all true, though. Arizona offered him full control and he rejected them. Cleveland offered him the job but said he had to keep Kitchens. He said no. He’s got young kids and is probably burned out. I’d be choosey about where to work too.

Vincenzo
01-21-2019, 09:41 PM
This isn’t at all true, though. Arizona offered him full control and he rejected them. Cleveland offered him the job but said he had to keep Kitchens. He said no. He’s got young kids and is probably burned out. I’d be choosey about where to work too.
And besides, if he coached 13 years for the Packers and averaged $8 million a year, he’s got more money then most of us can imagine. So why would he even need to work any longer. Take a year or 2 off or never coach again. All that stress, who needs it, especially given his brother dropped dead of a heart attack.

call_me_ishmael
01-22-2019, 12:23 AM
And besides, if he coached 13 years for the Packers and averaged $8 million a year, he’s got more money then most of us can imagine. So why would he even need to work any longer. Take a year or 2 off or never coach again. All that stress, who needs it, especially given his brother dropped dead of a heart attack.

I agree and it wouldn't surprise me in the least if MM doesn't coach again unless it's for a very premium, cozy job like coach of the Steelers or the Patriots.

Fritz
01-22-2019, 06:35 AM

I thought I read that Cleveland merely feigned interest, as a gesture of respect for ol' Mike by the Green Bay East crew running the show.

Like you making a halfhearted pass at Drew Barrymore in deference to ol' Fritzy here.

mraynrand
01-22-2019, 07:17 AM
I thought I read that Cleveland merely feigned interest, as a gesture of respect for ol' Mike by the Green Bay East crew running the show.

Like you making a halfhearted pass at Drew Barrymore in deference to ol' Fritzy here.

https://proxy.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2F3.bp.blogspot.com%2F-vq9I0t0KMnc%2FTdDzKVkBqtI%2FAAAAAAAAC60%2FvCYtsyTi cWQ%2Fs1600%2Ffirestarter-1.jpg&f=1

Rutnstrut
01-22-2019, 06:44 PM

Cleveland didn't offer him anything, nor were they ever serious about him. Arizona doesn't count as they are the new Cleveland.

pbmax
01-22-2019, 08:11 PM
Cleveland didn't offer him anything, nor were they ever serious about him. Arizona doesn't count as they are the new Cleveland.

Its a much more believable read that Cleveland was backed into hiring Kitchens because there would have been a public and QB revolt had he left the team.

He had too much success to let go. And the QB would have won that battle. Remember, the owner is still Haslam.

gbgary
04-02-2019, 08:20 PM
Check out @RobDemovsky’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/RobDemovsky/status/1113228438242983936?s=09 (https://twitter.com/RobDemovsky/status/1113228438242983936?s=09")
Coming tomorrow on espn.com, I talked with Mike McCarthy in his first interview since he was fired. In a Q&A, he discusses the firing — “It couldn’t have been handled any worse’ — plus Mark Murphy’s complacency claim, his relationship with Aaron Rodgers and more.

Iron Mike
04-03-2019, 08:08 AM
Yep, I can't wait:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/mike-mccarthy-complains-about-firing-in-new-interview-with-espncom/ar-BBVyzoQ?li=BBnba9I

red
04-03-2019, 08:20 AM
Check out @RobDemovsky’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/RobDemovsky/status/1113228438242983936?s=09 (https://twitter.com/RobDemovsky/status/1113228438242983936?s=09")
Coming tomorrow on espn.com, I talked with Mike McCarthy in his first interview since he was fired. In a Q&A, he discusses the firing — “It couldn’t have been handled any worse’ — plus Mark Murphy’s complacency claim, his relationship with Aaron Rodgers and more.

without the packer organization dictating what we know about everything, and the army a beat writers that the team have under their thumb to protect him, he sure does seem like a giant dickhead

Joemailman
04-03-2019, 08:48 AM
without the packer organization dictating what we know about everything, and the army a beat writers that the team have under their thumb to protect him, he sure does seem like a giant dickhead

I suspect you were going to call McCarthy a dickhead no matter what he said.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26429658/mccarthy-how-pack-handled-firing

Some of what he said:

"It couldn't have been handled any worse. Anytime you lose a close game, it's a difficult time emotionally afterward, but when you lose a home game at Lambeau Field in December, it's really hard. And that hasn't happened very often. I walked out of my press conference, and I'm thinking about the game, thinking about how our playoff shot was now minimal. That's where my head was at. And when I was told Mark Murphy wanted to see me -- and the messenger was cold and the energy was bad. Mark said it was an ugly loss, and it was time to make change. He said something about the offense and the special teams, and he didn't think it was going to get any better. There was no emotion to it. That was hard," he said.

"Every time I released an individual, you get your words right. There's a personal component to it. You know he has a family. He's family. There wasn't any of that. So that was off. The way people leave that building was very important to me. That's a part of the business," McCarthy said. "Hopefully moving forward for guys like Clay [Matthews] and Randall [Cobb] and Nick Perry and Jordy Nelson and T.J. Lang, it's important for them to leave the right way. That way represents the Green Bay Packers standard that I tried to uphold every day."

McCarthy said the exit "really stuck with me for a while."

"It was hard to swallow," he said. "The emotional challenge of shifting from humiliation to reflection was a very important step in seeking clarity so I could personally grow from the experience of my entire Green Bay Packer career; that's what I wanted to get to, not just the ending of it.

theeaterofshades
04-03-2019, 10:09 AM
I'd be more than willing to bet that the blow up at the basketball game was not an isolated incident. He likely had displayed such tendencies at work. I am not a huge Murphy fan by any stretch, but I understand being logical, and to the point when firing someone. It should not be an emotional show. He is not there to protect a terminated employee's ego, he is running a business. I was on board with McCarthy for many years, but the time had come. That team gave up on him, and we needed to see if anyone in house could take the reigns. So the last few weeks helped us avoid a hire with in for the HC. I do not have any animosity towards him (outside of the Seattle playoff collapse, and him protecting coordinators for too long), and wish him the best in future coaching jobs.

pbmax
04-03-2019, 10:15 AM
That's just the headline, Red. He's a good coach and probably a decent person. He doesn't spend much time blasting anyone else. He even has kind words for Rodgers, who half the state thinks fired the coach.

But I find it ironic that Mr. Silo Straddler (Murphy) isn't any better at bridging gaps than this. Though I have met few people who agreed that they needed to be fired because they were the problem. Everyone always has an angle on it that shifts blame.

My fear is that the inability of the front office to get the coaching staff to move on what needs to change and improve is going to be just as bad tomorrow as its been in the past. And Murphy is not the guy to fix this. The entire coaching search has made this impression on me. I fear they are looking for a savior of a designer, not a person who will adapt to what needs to be done.

Fritz
04-03-2019, 10:52 AM
That's just the headline, Red. He's a good coach and probably a decent person. He doesn't spend much time blasting anyone else. He even has kind words for Rodgers, who half the state thinks fired the coach.

But I find it ironic that Mr. Silo Straddler (Murphy) isn't any better at bridging gaps than this. Though I have met few people who agreed that they needed to be fired because they were the problem. Everyone always has an angle on it that shifts blame.

My fear is that the inability of the front office to get the coaching staff to move on what needs to change and improve is going to be just as bad tomorrow as its been in the past. And Murphy is not the guy to fix this. The entire coaching search has made this impression on me. I fear they are looking for a savior of a designer, not a person who will adapt to what needs to be done.

I am afraid that Murphy is ill-equipped to re-focus this organization. Ted Thompson was hired by Bob Harlan and so was already in place as GM when Murphy was named CEO in late 2007 and president in 2008. Murph was smart enough not to rock the boat, but as we've discussed here, he may have waited a bit too long to remove an increasingly frail Ted Thompson from his position.

So here we are, and the pressure is on Murphy now to get this right. He's responsible for hiring both Gutekunst and LeFleur, and this is his first time hiring key positions, so we'll see.

In a different life, I coached boys' ninth-grade high school basketball in Maryland. My mentor, who ran an extremely successful program in Walkersville, taught me that the best coaches adapt to the talent at hand. You don't mold the players to your system; you mold your system to the players' skills. While MM made some feints in this direction, he ultimately just wanted his guys to beat the other guys in individual matchups. And I agree with you PB that Murphy thinks a new scheme will fix the problems, but it's not about that so much as adapting.

pbmax
04-03-2019, 11:02 AM
I am afraid that Murphy is ill-equipped to re-focus this organization. Ted Thompson was hired by Bob Harlan and so was already in place as GM when Murphy was named CEO in late 2007 and president in 2008. Murph was smart enough not to rock the boat, but as we've discussed here, he may have waited a bit too long to remove an increasingly frail Ted Thompson from his position.

So here we are, and the pressure is on Murphy now to get this right. He's responsible for hiring both Gutekunst and LeFleur, and this is his first time hiring key positions, so we'll see.

In a different life, I coached boys' ninth-grade high school basketball in Maryland. My mentor, who ran an extremely successful program in Walkersville, taught me that the best coaches adapt to the talent at hand. You don't mold the players to your system; you mold your system to the players' skills. While MM made some feints in this direction, he ultimately just wanted his guys to beat the other guys in individual matchups. And I agree with you PB that Murphy thinks a new scheme will fix the problems, but it's not about that so much as adapting.

Agree on all points.

My sense of Murphy and of Gute is that, except for discerning who the next truly great head coach will be, they see their job as hands off the head coach. But you cannot solve everything through personnel, especially inside a season. The same logic that you just need to make the playoffs to have a chance at a Super Bowl also demands that you should max out in adjusting to get that year's personnel to their maximum performance, regardless of scheme.

To give a coach room and authority is admirable and responsible. But inevitably something will need to change and you have to be able to work together to figure out that change. Belichick just needs to toggle the switch on his head to open communications with his GM.

We won't know until there is an issue with the team. But I get the same old feeling from this arrangement that I got from the worst of Ted and Mike.

gbgary
04-03-2019, 11:03 AM

mccarthy doesn't seem like a bridge-burner to me. wasn't surprised he didn't go postal.

murphy is doing what an owner would be doing (which is his role). things needed to change and so far it's been a 180. they're trying to adapt to the new nfl. will Rodgers adapt? how much will his ridiculous contract hamper that? those are my fears.

what do you think the front office needs the staff to move-on from to change and improve? the only thing left is rodgers style and mindset. as i mentioned that's a big deal. if it happens great...but if it doesn't? maybe him personally? that was the front office's responsibility...and it's too late for that now...or is it?

pbmax
04-03-2019, 11:08 AM
what do you think the front office needs the staff to move-on from to change and improve? the only thing left is rodgers style and mindset. as i mentioned that's a big deal. if it happens great...but if it doesn't? maybe him personally? that was the front office's responsibility...and it's too late for that now...or is it?

That was awkwardly phrased. I want the front office to insist on changes in season and during the off-season in order to take advantage of talent that is available.

For instance, I would prefer them not to let Jones wear out a spot on the bench for 6 games before making him your starter.

If the coach says we need to stop scheming to get people open and just get better at the fundamentals, I want the FO to ask "why you aren't doing both?"

So if the TEs either can't block or can't catch, what is plan B Mr. Play Action Pass? That is a question they should be talking about right now.

gbgary
04-03-2019, 11:23 AM
That was awkwardly phrased. I want the front office to insist on changes in season and during the off-season in order to take advantage of talent that is available.

For instance, I would prefer them not to let Jones wear out a spot on the bench for 6 games before making him your starter.

If the coach says we need to stop scheming to get people open and just get better at the fundamentals, I want the FO to ask "why you aren't doing both?"

So if the TEs either can't block or can't catch, what is plan B Mr. Play Action Pass? That is a question they should be talking about right now.

ok. those things are gute's things...not murphy's. i think that's happening so far. let's see how the first 6 games go...whether we see improvement/adaptation. they can only do so much in one year. it's a pretty poor team. in rodgers last 22 starts they're 10-12. take away the minn (where he was hurt) and det (when he came back too soon) games and they're 10-10.

pbmax
04-03-2019, 11:39 AM
ok. those things are gute's things...not murphy's. i think that's happening so far. let's see how the first 6 games go...whether we see improvement/adaptation. they can only do so much in one year. it's a pretty poor team. in rodgers last 22 starts they're 10-12. take away the minn (where he was hurt) and det (when he came back too soon) games and they're 10-10.

We might not know until a couple of seasons in, so I agree it will take time. Both Gute and La Fleur seem more at ease with the press than Ted and Mike so it won't be as obvious where the holes in the operation are.

I am mostly extrapolating from the very mundane way the hiring and comments have been so far. I see this as business as usual at 1265; maybe it won't be that way all the time.

But I haven't seen a sign its going to change, the most positive aspect of the entire hiring is that La Fleur was no one else's candidate. And like everything else here, that is a two sided coin.

gbgary
04-03-2019, 11:57 AM
We might not know until a couple of seasons in, so I agree it will take time. Both Gute and La Fleur seem more at ease with the press than Ted and Mike so it won't be as obvious where the holes in the operation are.

I am mostly extrapolating from the very mundane way the hiring and comments have been so far. I see this as business as usual at 1265; maybe it won't be that way all the time.

But I haven't seen a sign its going to change, the most positive aspect of the entire hiring is that La Fleur was no one else's candidate. And like everything else here, that is a two sided coin.

definitely by then...with 2+ drafts in. rodgers will be 2+ years older too. it'll be interesting. i don't see anymore SB's in the rodgers era though. just not enough cap.

Joemailman
04-03-2019, 12:00 PM

Worried at all about a slippery slope if you have the front office dictating in-season changes to the coach? I'm thinking of Mike Pettine being told in 2014 to start Johhny Manziel when the Browns were 7-6. An extreme example perhaps, but an example nonetheless.

gbgary
04-03-2019, 12:15 PM
Worried at all about a slippery slope if you have the front office dictating in-season changes to the coach? I'm thinking of Mike Pettine being told in 2014 to start Johhny Manziel when the Browns were 7-6. An extreme example perhaps, but an example nonetheless.

murphy's said he's not getting involved in personnel and i haven't seen the slightest inkling that gute would make an onfield call. that would be poison. the cowboys. as long as everyone stays in their lane (russ ball) i think they'll be fine.

pbmax
04-03-2019, 12:16 PM

Oh, absolutely. I don't want Jerry Jones on the sideline or whoever gives the Bears their worst ideas.

I used to be staunchly against any of this, preferring the Wolf model (or perhaps the non-Modell model) and the two people on stand alone islands (GM, coach).

But the breadth of evidence (often the Steelers) seems to suggest that great coaches are basically trained, not hired. The odds of returning to glory with recycled great coaches aren't good. But Thompson was categorically opposed to managing his head coach on this level. And McCarthy had very mixed success changing his strategies on offense and couldn't sustain success on D. Part of this is talent, obviously and Fritz is right that someone should have had a serious talk with Ted about efforts to fix the defense. But Capers wasn't helping enough either.

After 2011, it becomes clear that teams can adjust to the big play offense (Giants, Seattle and San Fran) and M3 took way too long to fix that. He had some good ideas (no huddle, Lacy, sign a pass catching TE) but more often than not it was his QB that took his team to the playoffs. If the QB couldn't do it, the team was sunk.

ST just never functioned and I don't buy draft and develop as the reason. We are talking about 2-4 players at the most and that is not the difference between good and league worst.

I still admire McCarthy. He did eventually solve that Seattle D but then the game planning Schottenheimer sabotaged his best efforts.

pbmax
04-03-2019, 12:19 PM
murphy's said he won't get involved in personnel and i haven't seen the slightest inkling that gute would make an onfield call.

There needs to be an organizational standard about what is a blip (random FG miss even if at crucial time) and fundamental approach flaw (too many blocked kicks in a season, can't make FG from 39-40 yards).

The GM needs to set those parameters with the coach. If its not up to snuff, you spend time to fix. Its a little bit of Sherman with better player procurement. When he decided they needed better receivers, they got them. Problem was the approach cost them depth and talent everywhere.

Needs checks and balances like everything else.

MadScientist
04-03-2019, 01:23 PM
"It couldn't have been handled any worse. Anytime you lose a close game, it's a difficult time emotionally afterward, but when you lose a home game at Lambeau Field in December, it's really hard. And that hasn't happened very often. I walked out of my press conference, and I'm thinking about the game, thinking about how our playoff shot was now minimal. That's where my head was at. And when I was told Mark Murphy wanted to see me -- and the messenger was cold and the energy was bad. Mark said it was an ugly loss, and it was time to make change. He said something about the offense and the special teams, and he didn't think it was going to get any better. There was no emotion to it. That was hard," he said.

Honestly that description sounds like it was handled about the best that a situation like this could have been. The firing should have been handled without emotion, and once the decision was made to fire MM, the firing should happen as soon as reasonably possible. Does he really think the firing should have sounded like Mr. Spacely firing George Jetson, or all teary-eyed? Or maybe he thinks it would have been better if he stay on for the last 4 games, while Gute and Murphy started to search for his replacement? If the team looked like it quit on him before, it would have been a total shit-show those last 4 games. About the only thing that would have done was give the Packers the 3rd pick in the draft after they lost them all.

SudsMcBucky
04-03-2019, 01:40 PM
as long as everyone stays in their lane (russ ball) i think they'll be fine.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/IlZP/at-and-t-wireless-ok-tattoo-parlor

gbgary
04-03-2019, 01:58 PM
Honestly that description sounds like it was handled about the best that a situation like this could have been. The firing should have been handled without emotion, and once the decision was made to fire MM, the firing should happen as soon as reasonably possible. Does he really think the firing should have sounded like Mr. Spacely firing George Jetson, or all teary-eyed? Or maybe he thinks it would have been better if he stay on for the last 4 games, while Gute and Murphy started to search for his replacement? If the team looked like it quit on him before, it would have been a total shit-show those last 4 games. About the only thing that would have done was give the Packers the 3rd pick in the draft after they lost them all.

right. they even welcomed him back to talk the staff and the players. sounds more than fine to me. if anything it may have been a little over the top.

mraynrand
04-03-2019, 03:35 PM

That’s an excellent example. The move killed that team. It undermined Pettine’s authority. Everyone was looking past him.

call_me_ishmael
04-03-2019, 03:43 PM
Said it once, said it 1000 times. Mark Murphy looks horrible in hindsight on that move and it was a mike-sherman-chicken-shit type of move unbecoming of the Packers. Mark Murphy right now is on thin, thin ice in my book. He has shown himself to be a hair above inept.

MadScientist
04-03-2019, 04:15 PM
murphy's said he's not getting involved in personnel and i haven't seen the slightest inkling that gute would make an onfield call. that would be poison. the cowboys. as long as everyone stays in their lane (russ ball) i think they'll be fine.

Sure we have. Gute said stop using Montgomery over Jones - by trading Montgomery.

gbgary
04-03-2019, 05:06 PM
Sure we have. Gute said stop using Montgomery over Jones - by trading Montgomery.

:-)

pbmax
04-03-2019, 06:33 PM

That's a good point.

pbmax
04-03-2019, 06:39 PM
Dougherty with a nice job reading between the lines on McCarthy:

https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/dougherty/2019/04/03/dougherty-news-and-views-mike-mccarthy-opening-up-dismissal/3354220002/

There is a repeated story of Bach talking about a player who was late to a flight and was not fined. McCarthy seems to have addressed this directly with Demovsky by saying anyone could look at the internal fine process and see what was done. Doughety connects the dots and thinks the player in question was perhaps lying to his teammates.

The lack of accountability stuff started 2 years ago with Randall and Martinez pointing fingers at Josh Jones. I wonder what else there was? Dougherty thinks the locker room was lost after the Seattle playoff debacle. I'd agree that was probably a huge blow in his relationship with Rodgers.

QBME
04-03-2019, 07:35 PM
The lack of accountability stuff started 2 years ago with Randall and Martinez pointing fingers at Josh Jones. I wonder what else there was? Dougherty thinks the locker room was lost after the Seattle playoff debacle. I'd agree that was probably a huge blow in his relationship with Rodgers.

Wait...what?? I follow fairly closely, never seen anything relating to this stuff. Source? And I don't give a whiff what Dougherty "thinks".

pbmax
04-03-2019, 07:59 PM
Wait...what?? I follow fairly closely, never seen anything relating to this stuff. Source? And I don't give a whiff what Dougherty "thinks".

Both Randall (early in the offseason before he was traded) and Martinez said they thought not all players on D were being held accountable. From context it seemed to suggest they are referring to Jones. This was just after the season ended, possibly just before Capers got the boot.

Soon after, Martinez, who had backed up Randall's initial claim, backtracked. It was never confirmed, but it fit like a glove to Jones' play down the stretch.

Randall being packed up and Jones being a young player who barely saw the field under a new DC, the story was effectively buried on the Jones front. But several players, including Daniels and Matthews picked up the theme as a way to praise incoming Pettine, even before they held their first practice with him. So it had legs and players willing to claim it.

After McCarthy got off to a rough start in 2018, the accountability hints started to spread. Then Murphy and Gute mentioned it when they discussed the vet players councils they conducted after McCarthy's exit.

My honest appraisal/take is that there were typical issues with youth on D, not a lost cause until the team started to fall apart last year.

The only thing Dougherty is reading here on accountability is that it started in the locker room after the playoff loss to Seattle.

wist43
04-03-2019, 09:06 PM
Who gives a flying fuck!!!

The guy is gone... you assholes are worse than a bunch of gray haired women sitting in a church gossiping.

Harlan Huckleby
04-03-2019, 09:38 PM
I don't understand how MM was mistreated. Most people who get fired are told on a Friday afternoon that they have a half hour to put their things in a box, and they are escorted out of the building by a company security guard. It really works this way in both corporations and government jobs.

The exact timing of McCarthy's dismissal was a little surprising. But it was coming sooner or later.

Nobody gets out of this world without eating a shit sandwich or two.

Iron Mike
04-03-2019, 10:17 PM

Agreed. I must admit I'm surprised that McCarthy failed to mention the fact that he works in a performance-based business and yet failed to cut the mustard for two years straight. Sounds like he thinks he should have been given a few more years to get his pad level down.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-03-2019, 11:52 PM
I don't understand how MM was mistreated. Most people who get fired are told on a Friday afternoon that they have a half hour to put their things in a box, and they are escorted out of the building by a company security guard. It really works this way in both corporations and government jobs.

The exact timing of McCarthy's dismissal was a little surprising. But it was coming sooner or later.

Nobody gets out of this world without eating a shit sandwich or two.

Insecurity is an abominable offspring of that abomination, capitalism. I’m fact, insecurity is even more fucked up than her abominable siblings, exploitation and alienation.

Harlan Huckleby
04-04-2019, 04:40 AM
Insecurity is an abominable offspring of that abomination, capitalism. I’m fact, insecurity is even more fucked up than her abominable siblings, exploitation and alienation.

Most capitalist systems are tempered by generous unemployment insurance.

Getting fired is devastating emotionally, I don't make light of it.

I'm OK with MM's opinion that the Packers would be wise to treat their leavings respectfully. But divorces are always a bit awkward & bitter. MM ain't above it.

The eskimos have the right idea. When people get old & burdensome, they leave them outside and allow nature to take its course. Green Bay is ideal at end of season for such a peaceful, honorable, natural resolution.

mraynrand
04-04-2019, 07:39 AM
The eskimos have the right idea. When people get old & burdensome, they leave them outside and allow nature to take its course. Green Bay is ideal at end of season for such a peaceful, honorable, natural resolution.

Great advice. Apparently this is what happened to Joe Philbin's son.

pbmax
04-04-2019, 09:19 AM
Agreed. I must admit I'm surprised that McCarthy failed to mention the fact that he works in a performance-based business and yet failed to cut the mustard for two years straight. Sounds like he thinks he should have been given a few more years to get his pad level down.

I think he basically admits in the story that if he doesn't get to the playoffs, he knows a change is coming. He says after the firing, he realized both sides might have needed a change which is the part that is 4 years too late.

I think he would also tell you that its part of the game, no matter who is coach, that a defender might try to plant your QB into the turf on their shoulder. Who does the front office think the backup was?

Everyone who gets canned wants a story to tell that is more deflection than admission. Here is is taking issue with Murphy's curtness and lack of acknowledgment of their successful shared history. Its not a big deal. Its better than I thought he would take it. I would have had my minions ranting and raving about FA and Ted.

pbmax
04-04-2019, 09:21 AM

M3 doesn't have much in the way of economic insecurity unless he and the sports science guys on staff were heavily invested in Theranos.

mraynrand
04-04-2019, 09:54 AM
Everyone who gets canned wants a story to tell that is more deflection than admission.

As someone who was recently shit-canned, I can tell you the urge to deflect is very strong. But it is totally unhelpful. Finding someone you trust who will tell you the stark, raw truth about yourself, your strengths and failings, is key. Somehow I suspect Stubby doesn't have that person in his life.

Freak Out
04-04-2019, 11:45 AM
Sorry to hear Rand.

Freak Out
04-04-2019, 11:46 AM
M3 skipped meetings for massages? Is there something wrong with that?

mraynrand
04-04-2019, 12:26 PM

I imaging he would have to have at least 2-3 masseuses to handle all his flesh - this probably presents a scheduling issue that's not easy to back out of.

https://sho3box.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/baronharkonnen1.jpg

pbmax
04-04-2019, 03:50 PM
As someone who was recently shit-canned, I can tell you the urge to deflect is very strong. But it is totally unhelpful. Finding someone you trust who will tell you the stark, raw truth about yourself, your strengths and failings, is key. Somehow I suspect Stubby doesn't have that person in his life.

I think that is true of both McCarthy and Rodgers. The list that could help each is pretty short if you go by similar level of success and experience. Need to start with honesty about yourself.

Fosco33
04-04-2019, 03:51 PM
I sorta thing arod tanked last two years to get m3 fired. If that’s true - in order to get 2-3 more rings in next 6 years - then arod is smartest and best qb ever. If he fails in next 2 years - he’s going down as a talent than was a prick.

pbmax
04-04-2019, 04:00 PM

I got downsized (last department to take the hit, we thought we escaped :D ) and it took a long while to regain my balance. It was a 10 year stay and you don't get over it very fast, no matter your outlook.

pbmax
04-04-2019, 04:00 PM
I sorta thing arod tanked last two years to get m3 fired. If that’s true - in order to get 2-3 more rings in next 6 years - then arod is smartest and best qb ever. If he fails in next 2 years - he’s going down as a talent than was a prick.

I would definitely believe that of last year. It was like a greatest hits replay of bad play.

Joemailman
04-04-2019, 04:53 PM

The closest to that is his wife:

I go back to really the first thing my wife said to me, the first moment Jessica and I were alone and talking about what happened. She said, 'Don't take this the wrong way, but I'm relieved for you.' I kinda gave her a look. And she said, 'The last two or three years, you haven't been here physically or mentally. Every family loses their husband, father during the season, but you've been gone the last two offseasons. I know you're not happy with the way things were going there, and it's beat the hell out of you. It's beat the hell out of you the last couple of years. It's been hard to watch it.' That was a couple hours after I got home, and that was the reality, that was the reality that I had to identify with, and that was real.

Joemailman
04-04-2019, 05:37 PM

Nonsense. A QB trying to tank the season doesn't start all 16 games on a bad knee. He doesn't get sacked 50 times, in addition to many other hits when he could have just thrown the ball away before getting hit. He doesn't throw just 2 INT's.

I do think he lost faith in McCarthy's offense, and let his frustration get the best of him. But I saw nothing that would suggest he wasn't trying to win every game.

RashanGary
04-04-2019, 05:51 PM
That article was so interesting. Im not shocked to hear MM became bigger than his britches. I’m not shocked to hear AR was so finicky about his stats and sort of addicted to them. He wanted no interceptions last year. He wanted the record. More than he wanted to win. He does have the record now.

That is a juicy article. I’m excited for the change. And boy oh boy, I forgive Favre more and more for his totally normal and forgivesvle acts of human selfishness because AR and MM have it to. In fact, Favre doing what he did might have helped those two brats stay grounded long enough to get a SB of their own.

Makes Bellichik and Brady’s accomplishment so much more impressive to hear this stuff.

I still love Favre and Rodgers and MM. Thayre just people like us. And honestly the frail human qualities make it that much more interresting and deep for me.

Fosco33
04-04-2019, 06:28 PM
Nonsense. A QB trying to tank the season doesn't start all 16 games on a bad knee. He doesn't get sacked 50 times, in addition to many other hits when he could have just thrown the ball away before getting hit. He doesn't throw just 2 INT's.

I do think he lost faith in McCarthy's offense, and let his frustration get the best of him. But I saw nothing that would suggest he wasn't trying to win every game.

Rodgers missed so many throws... and didn’t do much visibly to pull the team up. How many bombs on 3rd and 1 and runs in 2nd and 1??

He changed 30% of plays at the line and forced issues with rookie receivers and their coaches. And wouldn’t throw to them when open (think of Janis in the past). He held the ball forever - wonder why he had so many sacks? Sure he didn’t throw INTs - but his throwaway % was pretty pathetic.

He may have railroaded that season. And it may have been what was needed.

Fritz
04-05-2019, 04:53 PM
The closest to that is his wife:

My wife is always glad to tell me what's wrong with me!

George Cumby
04-05-2019, 08:50 PM
My wife is always glad to tell me what's wrong with me!

Fukin' A.

woodbuck27
04-05-2019, 09:39 PM

Obviously MM didn't realize it was.

The truth will reveal that it was very bad and may put a wrap on any aspirations
He Mike McCarthy may have of getting another Head Coaching Gig in the NFL.

This news is serious shit for Mike McCarthy and frankly about as unbelievable as anything I would imagine as the truth and hearing it for the first time. I mean there is no way on earth as Packer fans and seeing what we could see of MM that this could seem possible.

It's definitely one of those wait, it's not April 1 and get the 'F' out of here with that bullshit tale please.

Go to the hers or Colin Coherd interviewing Greg Jennings and try to imagine Greg Jennings is spreading bad lies or shit storming. Jennings is like most of us should truthfully admit to being or blown away by the extent of this ego trip thing between Mike McCarthy and Aaron Rodgers and, at the expense of the Teams best interests and Packer Nations trust.

woodbuck27
04-05-2019, 10:04 PM
That article was so interesting. Im not shocked to hear MM became bigger than his britches. I’m not shocked to hear AR was so finicky about his stats and sort of addicted to them. He wanted no interceptions last year. He wanted the record. More than he wanted to win. He does have the record now.

That is a juicy article. I’m excited for the change. And boy oh boy, I forgive Favre more and more for his totally normal and forgivesvle acts of human selfishness because AR and MM have it to. In fact, Favre doing what he did might have helped those two brats stay grounded long enough to get a SB of their own.

Makes Bellichik and Brady’s accomplishment so much more impressive to hear this stuff.

I still love Favre and Rodgers and MM. Thayre just people like us. And honestly the frail human qualities make it that much more interresting and deep for me.

Nice spin.

My position right now and it may change, but the selfishness and arrogance, the ego trips MM AND AARON RODGERS were actually embroiled in and the f'ing pissing contest between them; threw the Packer Team (the rest of the team roster) and coaches and frankly Packer Nation under the bus.

This is one of the most shocking stories I've read and now understand as basically supported as 'theTruth', in over six decades as a die hard Pro Sports fan.

This makes the story of a former Packer QB and pics of his little dick in his hand look like a fortune cookie prediction.

mraynrand
04-05-2019, 10:58 PM
Obviously MM didn't realize it was.

The truth will reveal that it was very bad and may put a wrap on any aspirations
He Mike McCarthy may have of getting another Head Coaching Gig in the NFL.

This news is serious shit for Mike McCarthy and frankly about as unbelievable as anything I would imagine as the truth and hearing it for the first time. I mean there is no way on earth as Packer fans and seeing what we could see of MM that this could seem possible.

It's definitely one of those wait, it's not April 1 and get the 'F' out of here with that bullshit tale please.

Go to the hers or Colin Coherd interviewing Greg Jennings and try to imagine Greg Jennings is spreading bad lies or shit storming. Jennings is like most of us should truthfully admit to being or blown away by the extent of this ego trip thing between Mike McCarthy and Aaron Rodgers and, at the expense of the Teams best interests and Packer Nations trust.

If Jennings were a goat he’d be used for the burnt offering in the temple.

woodbuck27
04-05-2019, 11:25 PM
I think that is true of both McCarthy and Rodgers. The list that could help each is pretty short if you go by similar level of success and experience. Need to start with honesty about yourself.

Yup.

Harlan Huckleby
04-06-2019, 06:11 AM
'This makes the story of a former Packer QB and pics of his little dick in his hand look like a fortune cookie prediction.

He has enormous hands. Objects within them are larger than they appear.

RashanGary
04-06-2019, 03:00 PM
He has enormous hands. Objects within them are larger than they appear.

I always gave him the benefit of the doubt there too. Figured his dick was bigger than it looked next to those ogre hands.

bobblehead
10-04-2020, 08:56 PM
In the original spirit of this thread I would like to thank fat mike for the continued struggles of the Dallas Cowboys franchise.

Way to go M3!!

bobblehead
10-04-2020, 09:03 PM
When you get only one interview and lose out to Adam Gase......

This post aged VERY well. Next up, Bill O'Brien beats out fat mike for head coaching gig!

run pMc
10-05-2020, 09:15 AM
I imagine Jerrah doesn't have a lot of nice things to say today.

I also imagine that, even though the Giants are awful, Jason Garrett paused for a moment to smile.

call_me_ishmael
10-05-2020, 09:51 AM
Jeez, I am really surprised Dallas is doing so poorly.

texaspackerbacker
10-05-2020, 11:44 AM
McCarthy's end of things, offense, is right there on track. It's the damn second generation piece of shit loser he brought in as a D Coordinator who is the problem. Mike Nolan changed what has worked well for the Cowboys for more than a generation to something bland and worthless, and in the process, he alienated many of his D players.

bobblehead
10-05-2020, 01:12 PM
McCarthy's end of things, offense, is right there on track. It's the damn second generation piece of shit loser he brought in as a D Coordinator who is the problem. Mike Nolan changed what has worked well for the Cowboys for more than a generation to something bland and worthless, and in the process, he alienated many of his D players.

Being that MM is the head coach can you say "his end"?? Also, didn't he hire Nolan? Also, aren't the problems you are seeing with the defense similar to GB problems during fat mikes tenure? Could that imply that, as I have said, its his philosophy that has them playing so damn soft?

Fatty is no longer a good coach. He could turn it around and make me eat my words, but he would have to adapt and he isn't showing any inclination to do that.

Sparkey
10-05-2020, 02:47 PM
TPB
So you saying MM's offense is like a squeek toy ?

https://endofthingscomic.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/2012-03-10.gif

run pMc
10-05-2020, 04:31 PM
With the talent they have on offense, it would be criminal for them not to be scoring points. The defense has been pretty bad, and giving up 300 RUSHING yards to Cleveland does seem familiar.

texaspackerbacker
10-05-2020, 08:03 PM
TPB
So you saying MM's offense is like a squeek toy ?

https://endofthingscomic.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/2012-03-10.gif

I don't get it.

Bobblehead, I completely agree with your post above. The buck does stop with McCarthy. He shoulda left well enough alone with the D instead of bringing in this change mongering idiot, Nolan. All I meant to say was that his offense is doing fine.

RashanGary
10-05-2020, 09:33 PM
His kids have fat heads too