PDA

View Full Version : Bears Week II discussion thread, the BEARS STILL SUCK

denverYooper
12-11-2018, 03:37 PM
I've been seeing more Bears fans breaking out their gear lately and it just serves to remind me that I hate the Bears.

They are playing some stellar defense this year but they have lost their slot corner so there might be a small (very small) crack to exploit. Of course, if Rodgers is running for his life and throwing balls OOB then he won't have much chance to do so.

On the other side of the ball, their offense is so-so. Nagy has been creative and gets lauded for some of his "fun" play designs but the reality is that Trubisky is just not that good. If Pettine can get him confused he might start throwing the ball to Alexander. A key to this game will be Pettine and how much he can squeeze out of that depleted defense.

This will be a tough game. The Bears are playing better football this year, but they are not the 85 Bears and can still be had.

If the Packers win only 1 game for the rest of the year I want it to be this one. I've been sleepwalking through this year as much as the team has. Time for all of us to get off of our butts and do this right, time to revel in one more hate-filled rivalry week and give 'em hell.

THE BEARS STILL SUCK.

gbgary
12-11-2018, 03:45 PM
https://youtu.be/CIrvSJwwJUE

QBME
12-11-2018, 03:54 PM
I've been seeing more Bears fans breaking out their gear lately and it just serves to remind me that I hate the Bears.

They are playing some stellar defense this year but they have lost their slot corner so there might be a small (very small) crack to exploit. Of course, if Rodgers is running for his life and throwing balls OOB then he won't have much chance to do so.

On the other side of the ball, their offense is so-so. Nagy has been creative and gets lauded for some of his "fun" play designs but the reality is that Trubisky is just not that good. If Pettine can get him confused he might start throwing the ball to Alexander. A key to this game will be Pettine and how much he can squeeze out of that depleted defense.

This will be a tough game. The Bears are playing better football this year, but they are not the 85 Bears and can still be had.

If the Packers win only 1 game for the rest of the year I want it to be this one. I've been sleepwalking through this year as much as the team has. Time for all of us to get off of our butts and do this right, time to revel in one more hate-filled rivalry week and give 'em hell.

THE BEARS STILL SUCK.

+1. I live in the Flatland amongst them, and it is becoming irritable.

Bossman641
12-11-2018, 04:49 PM
I'll never forgive the Bears for them making the Packers celebrate the 2011 Nfccg in their dinky crappy locker room.

denverYooper
12-11-2018, 05:04 PM
I've been thinking about this game from Rodgers's first year as a starter: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200811160gnb.htm

The Packers struggled a lot that year but GB ran Ryan Grant 25 times for 145 yards in this game and just controlled it on the ground start to finish. It was the most satisfying game that year.

texaspackerbacker
12-11-2018, 05:58 PM
I was there for the first Packer Bear game ...... I mean this year, not 1918 or whatever hahahaha.

I want to see a lot of what worked in the 4th quarter that night for the whole game - with a few change of pace runs mixed in.

The Rams lost to the Bears because Goff threw four interceptions. I'll guarandamntee you Rodgers won't do that.

Joemailman
12-11-2018, 06:07 PM
The injury report on the Packers offensive line may determine whether the Packers have a decent chance to win this game.

And I better not hear anyone here say the Packers would be better off losing to the Bears so we can get a higher draft pick. :smack:

The Shadow
12-11-2018, 06:29 PM

THE BEARS STILL SUCK.

Agree wholeheartedly!

mraynrand
12-11-2018, 07:52 PM
And I better not hear anyone here say the Packers would be better off losing to the Bears so we can get a higher draft pick. :smack:

Damn straight!

This is war

wist43
12-11-2018, 09:04 PM
Yes, the Bears still suck... but they're a much better football team than we are.

Chicago 20
Pack 10

texaspackerbacker
12-11-2018, 10:57 PM
The injury report on the Packers offensive line may determine whether the Packers have a decent chance to win this game.

It sure seemed like the replacements did better than the regulars - at least no worse. After all these years, Aaron Rodgers has adjusted to playing QB with an absolute minimum of quality O Line blocking anyway.

+1 on your last line, though.

Tony Oday
12-12-2018, 12:01 AM
Packers crush the uninspired Bears.

pbmax
12-12-2018, 08:50 AM

I am not saying it's better to lose, but I am saying that when one door closes, a window may open elsewhere.

Fritz
12-12-2018, 09:28 AM
I would think the Packers' offense will struggle to score 20 points against that Bear defense, and I don't think Pettine can pull much more magic out of his hat.

So hire Vic Fangio as head coach, and kill two birds with one stone.

The Shadow
12-12-2018, 09:36 AM
I would think the Packers' offense will struggle to score 20 points against that Bear defense, and I don't think Pettine can pull much more magic out of his hat.

So hire Vic Fangio as head coach, and kill two birds with one stone.

Great minds truly do think alike!

Pugger
12-12-2018, 09:38 AM
Will they have a hangover after beating the Rams last weekend?

pbmax
12-12-2018, 10:32 AM
Reinforcements are coming.

Green Bay Packers @packers
#Packers sign G Nico Siragusa to the active roster from the Ravens’ practice squad & place T/G Byron Bell on injured reserve.

Fritz
12-12-2018, 12:55 PM
Is he related to Tony?

bobblehead
12-12-2018, 01:16 PM
I am not saying it's better to lose, but I am saying that when one door closes, a window may open elsewhere.

Thats what she said!!!

pbmax
12-12-2018, 05:52 PM
You know, maybe wist doesn't need to replace the scouting department. Perhaps just the Docs and trainers.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DuP_A-yU8AA1NFv.jpg:large

gbgary
12-12-2018, 06:53 PM
Is he related to Tony?

i heard he's not but haven't seen anything from a reliable source on it.

Pros:

Mammoth guard. Plays to every inch and ounce of his listed 6’4”, 324 pound frame.
Thick build from head to toe. Not a “soft” 324 pounds.
Uses his hands well to fight off defenders in pass protection or gain leverage in run blocking.
Creates holes in the running game.
Surprisingly nimble for a lineman his size.
Capable pass protector
Frequently used as a pulling guard, and played in a zone blocking scheme in college.

Cons:

Needs to improve awareness and accuracy blocking in space. Too often misses second level defenders when he could steamroll them.
Frame might pigeonhole him as a right guard in the NFL. Needs to show his feet and agility in combine drills.
Needs to do a better job of sustaining his blocks and asserting himself in pass protection.
Generally handles stunts and twists well, but has the occasional mental lapse.
Occasionally gets tripped up in the trash at the line of scrimmage.
Played out of a spread offense in college. He could have a learning curve adjusting to the NFL game and protections.

https://www.bigblueview.com/2017/2/17/14638630/2017-nfl-draft-prospect-profile-nico-siragusa-og-san-diego-state-ny-giants-scouting-report

QBME
12-13-2018, 07:27 AM
Is he related to Tony?

No

Patler
12-13-2018, 08:14 AM
Reinforcements are coming.

Green Bay Packers @packers
#Packers sign G Nico Siragusa to the active roster from the Ravens’ practice squad & place T/G Byron Bell on injured reserve.

Very interesting. 4th round pick of the Ravens in 2017, tore ACL, MCL and PCL in his left knee early in training camp and missed his entire rookie season. Missed all of the off season with a second, "clean-up" surgery last spring. Articles from camp this year said he didn't look like the same player, struggling with his quickness, but was still recovering and adjusting to wearing braces on both knees. Ravens reportedly hoped to give him more rehab time on practice squad.

Might be a signing by the Packers more for next year than this year.

mraynrand
12-13-2018, 08:27 AM
Nico Siragusa has a Brooks Knee.

texaspackerbacker
12-13-2018, 09:09 AM
What is a "Brooks Knee"? I Googled it and mostly got running shoe ads. It also mentioned a Ron Brooks who had a ruptured quadriceps, which doesn't sound like what Siragusa had.

mraynrand
12-13-2018, 09:14 AM
What is a "Brooks Knee"?

It's when your entire knee gets ruined on a single play, like what happened to Robert Brooks against the 49ers in '96. However, in that case, Brooks blew out his ACL and patellar tendon (at least).

gbgary
12-13-2018, 11:05 AM
more on nico-siragusa (http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/nico-siragusa?id=2557874)

gbgary
12-13-2018, 12:46 PM
may be without breeland:

https://twitter.com/Bree2Land6/status/1072906343617622017

missed practice yesterday and today.

Philbin https://statici.behindthevoiceactors.com/behindthevoiceactors/_img/chars/woody-toy-story-that-time-forgot-5.87.jpg said there's no timeline for his return.

hoosier
12-13-2018, 01:24 PM
It's when your entire knee gets ruined on a single play, like what happened to Robert Brooks against the 49ers in '96. However, in that case, Brooks blew out his ACL and patellar tendon (at least).

The injury itself is not enough, you have to take into account what the orthopod does. To have a Brooks knee you have to receive a cadaver part. Allo, not auto fix.

mraynrand
12-13-2018, 02:55 PM
The injury itself is not enough, you have to take into account what the orthopod does. To have a Brooks knee you have to receive a cadaver part. Allo, not auto fix.

Yeah, cuz Brook's injury cost him the best graft: bone-patella-bone. I don't even think anyone does hamstring allograft on athletes.

Not to mention things have changed a lot since Brooks, with better tunnel placement(s) for grafts, and some docs using double banding/tunnel techniques. Again, i don't know how much of that is done on athletes.

Fortunately that lineman could have an allo graft and his PCL and MCL recovery was probably good. But you never know, a lot depends on how well the procedure went and how motivated the patient is. Nobody ever was as motivated as Brooks (well, maybe Jerry Rice, but he was insane coming back too early and fracturing the patella - which does happen, even to non-athletes...).

mraynrand
12-13-2018, 02:58 PM
may be without breeland:

Philbin https://statici.behindthevoiceactors.com/behindthevoiceactors/_img/chars/woody-toy-story-that-time-forgot-5.87.jpg said there's no timeline for his return.

Gosh that's sad. I thought he got injured. Breeland seems like a nice kid, always talking up his friends and teammates. Godspeed.

MadScientist
12-13-2018, 03:03 PM
may be without breeland:

Philbin said there's no timeline for his return.
Sounds from his Instagram post like he lost a very close friend in a car accident. I'm guessing he plays, just with a heavy heart.

Guiness
12-13-2018, 03:05 PM

Does the shredding Culpepper's knee doesn't count? I don't remember cadaver parts being used, but he did seem lethargic enough to be half dead during his come back that he might've been half dead:-)

mraynrand
12-13-2018, 03:09 PM
OMG, this was on Breeland's Twitter feed:

https://twitter.com/bpearl___/status/1063201153037594624

"Bag of groceries" got me and then the missing five pizzas.....

gbgary
12-14-2018, 11:10 AM
breeland is "in transit."

George Cumby
12-14-2018, 02:18 PM
OMG, this was on Breeland's Twitter feed:

https://twitter.com/bpearl___/status/1063201153037594624

"Bag of groceries" got me and then the missing five pizzas.....

I erred in watching that whilst eating lunch.

I feel slightly nauseous now.

George Cumby
12-14-2018, 02:22 PM
Talking to my Bears fan pal yesterday.

Dude is scarred after 20 years of Packers dominating the Bears.

He's afraid of Rodgers and thinks the Bears will lose.

Joemailman
12-14-2018, 02:37 PM

Does he know that Spriggs may be matched up against Mack?

Joemailman
12-14-2018, 04:22 PM
Lane Taylor will be back. Bulaga doubtful. Clark questionable.

mraynrand
12-14-2018, 04:26 PM
breeland is "in transit."

He's not gonna be wearing a dress is he?

Joemailman
12-14-2018, 04:32 PM
Time to watch one of the greatest football videos ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdvEN0jpAWE

mraynrand
12-14-2018, 04:36 PM

Honestly, I'm kinda feelin' the exact opposite. I'm worried this could be one of those signature games the other way. Chicago wants to make a statement. If they didn't by owning the Rams, here's another chance by burying their rivals. Other than the Bears offense being kinda lame, that roster outclasses the Packers.

Here's hoping the fear of Rodgers and the reality of Rodgers can get the job done. And maybe just a really solid defensive effort by the Packers.

gbgary
12-14-2018, 05:24 PM
Time to watch one of the greatest football videos ever.

*sniff* dammit! how did a grain of sand get in my eye?

ZachMN
12-14-2018, 06:06 PM
what was the deal with that fat dude and the pizza's?

mraynrand
12-14-2018, 06:14 PM
what was the deal with that fat dude and the pizza's?

http://packerrats.com/image.php?u=349&dateline=1542314273

It was in Breeland's twitter feed

pbmax
12-14-2018, 06:44 PM
Does he know that Spriggs may be matched up against Mack?

I am sure that was next on his list of worries. :lol:

pbmax
12-14-2018, 06:49 PM
*sniff* dammit! how did a grain of sand get in my eye?

We need to dig up that Game Day thread. Oh boy would the panic and sense of defeat be breathtaking.

pbmax
12-14-2018, 07:10 PM
That video is very well done. :D

Joemailman
12-14-2018, 07:15 PM
We need to dig up that Game Day thread. Oh boy would the panic and sense of defeat be breathtaking.

Bumped it.

pbmax
12-14-2018, 07:42 PM
Bumped it.

Its good. But we've done panic better. Everyone was off their game that weird year :D

George Cumby
12-15-2018, 10:20 AM
Honestly, I'm kinda feelin' the exact opposite. I'm worried this could be one of those signature games the other way. Chicago wants to make a statement. If they didn't by owning the Rams, here's another chance by burying their rivals. Other than the Bears offense being kinda lame, that roster outclasses the Packers.

Here's hoping the fear of Rodgers and the reality of Rodgers can get the job done. And maybe just a really solid defensive effort by the Packers.

I'm with you. I don't see the Pack winning this at all.

The tide has turned, it's like anti-1992, but my bud is so conditioned to losing he's lost his objectivity.

Joemailman
12-15-2018, 10:47 AM

The tide has turned, it's like anti-1992, but my bud is so conditioned to losing he's lost his objectivity.

I don't think it's 1992 in reverse. However, going up against the Bears front 7 with a banged up OL isn't a recipe for success. This will be an aroused Bears team that won't have forgotten what happened in Week 1. Packers will have to play their best game of the year to have a chance.

bobblehead
12-15-2018, 07:39 PM

Players don't feel the same way as fans. These bears players are pissed about week 1, not the last 20 years. I expect their best.

mraynrand
12-16-2018, 01:00 AM
Players don't feel the same way as fans. These bears players are pissed about week 1, not the last 20 years. I expect their best.

As is always. The current bunch wants to leave their mark. Hopefully Fackrell feels the same way and makes it happen.

pbmax
12-16-2018, 09:59 AM
As is always. The current bunch wants to leave their mark. Hopefully Fackrell feels the same way and makes it happen.

You can see what his coach (the recently fired Moss) and his teammates (Matthews) see in him. Had ludicrous length and leverage plus some speed.

But holy cow does he not have a plan B when attacking.

Pugger
12-16-2018, 10:07 AM
Today is going to be brutal with Spriggs trying to handle Mack... :whaa:

beveaux1
12-16-2018, 10:09 AM
You can see what his coach (the recently fired Moss) and his teammates (Matthews) see in him. Had ludicrous length and leverage plus some speed.

But holy cow does he not have a plan B when attacking.

Hopefully, plan A works today.

pbmax
12-16-2018, 10:12 AM
Hopefully, plan A works today.

I sometimes wonder of the LB coaches have been a problem here. Matthews, for a long time, lacked a plan B. He was either bull rush or speed on edge. Could be same problem for Fackrell.

beveaux1
12-16-2018, 10:31 AM
I sometimes wonder of the LB coaches have been a problem here. Matthews, for a long time, lacked a plan B. He was either bull rush or speed on edge. Could be same problem for Fackrell.

Very possibly. I don’t think Fackrell is a great edge rusher, I’m pretty sure he’s not even our best edge rusher, but I do think he has value and awareness which leads to positive defensive plays. Outside of Matthews and Martinez(sometimes), he’s the only plus linebacker that we have. Every other LB on the roster is JAG.

Joemailman
12-16-2018, 11:13 AM

I've long wondered the same thing. Either Wist is right and the Packers scouts/GM are terrible at evaluating LB's, or the coaching staff has done a really poor job of developing players.

Cheesehead Craig
12-16-2018, 03:03 PM

Well, how about now that they lost? At least we're getting a higher draft pick.