PDA

View Full Version : How many more years of Murphy?

call_me_ishmael
12-13-2018, 10:25 AM
Mark Murphy turns 65 the summer of 2020. Will he be expected to step down then?

In general, I have a lot of concerns surrounding Murphy. Beginning with him being an unknown commodity and wanting to take a more hands on approach to the football aspect.

When do they kick off the replacement search? Any premier in-house candidates?

mraynrand
12-13-2018, 11:29 AM
In general, I have a lot of concerns surrounding Murphy. Beginning with him being an unknown commodity and wanting to take a more hands on approach to the football aspect.

How much more hands on? Other than changing the coach hiring/firing hierarchy, I know of nothing else that expands his role. Anyone?

gbgary
12-13-2018, 11:59 AM
i hope he hangs for several more years. the only things he's done wrong was assume TT was still healthy. on the business side he's been gold. the football side is just starting. getting rid of TT and MM had to be done. i think extending Rodgers, before it had to be done, was a mistake, but that's just me. guess we'll see how the next few years go.

Rastak
12-13-2018, 12:10 PM
How much more hands on? Other than changing the coach hiring/firing hierarchy, I know of nothing else that expands his role. Anyone?

Having the head coach reporting directly to him kind of injects himself into the football operations. In addition, he's hiring the head coach, normally the team president would sign off on whomever was selected and if they had any trust in the GM, would only step in if it was some serious concern. The GM would do the legwork and decide the hire.

That seems far more hands on that any of the other Packer presidents....at least from way over here.

mraynrand
12-13-2018, 12:16 PM
Having the head coach reporting directly to him kind of injects himself into the football operations. In addition, he's hiring the head coach, normally the team president would sign off on whomever was selected and if they had any trust in the GM, would only step in if it was some serious concern. The GM would do the legwork and decide the hire.

That seems far more hands on that any of the other Packer presidents....at least from way over here.

That's fine. But I don't know of any other increased involvement. Is Murphy to influnece draft choices and free agent signings? Will he have to sign off on staff under the head coach? If they try to keep Poutine, can/will he override Gute and the selected HC? Is any of this actually known?
That's what I'm asking. The claim was made that Murphy is going to be more involved. I know of nothing beyond the already known change in the President-GM-HC hierarchy.

pbmax
12-13-2018, 04:04 PM
Murphy has a point. The Packers once had an idea about how to run a football team and they spend better than a decade trying to find a coach who could GM like Lombardi and failing spectacularly at it. Then, and my history is a little fuzzy at this point, they staged a coup and installed Judge Robert Parins, who ran the team like a good authoritarian, but one who had never seen an organized game of football.

There is nothing magical about any given structure, Each has strengths and weaknesses.

I would be more impressed with his change if I had any notion Parins, I mean Murphy, knew what the hell he is doing on the football side. The two good things were giving himself the out on McCarthy. I think he played that right, as well as using that time to lock down Rodgers. But this is brand new territory for him hiring a pro coach while trying to keep an All Pro QB happy.

mraynrand
12-13-2018, 04:28 PM
But this is brand new territory for him hiring a pro coach while trying to keep an All Pro QB happy.

No different for Gutey if he were acting on his own, right? I can't imagine Murphy hiring a guy Gutey doesn't approve. You could even say that Murphy being responsible for the hire takes some pressure off Gutey. And they both have the challenge of hiring a guy who will get Rodgers to buy-in. Has to be someone he will listen to, respect, and follow. With Rodger's fantastic brain and galaxy-threatening Esper faculties growing at a geometric rate, this will be the challenge of their lifetimes. Too bad they don't have phaser rifles.

Rastak
12-13-2018, 05:42 PM
That's fine. But I don't know of any other increased involvement. Is Murphy to influnece draft choices and free agent signings? Will he have to sign off on staff under the head coach? If they try to keep Poutine, can/will he override Gute and the selected HC? Is any of this actually known?
That's what I'm asking. The claim was made that Murphy is going to be more involved. I know of nothing beyond the already known change in the President-GM-HC hierarchy.

I don't think it's alarming or anything. It might work just fine as the GM and Murphy surely have to agree before someone is hired....or the GM goes. Just that I would agree he now has much more say in the football side. I doubt he's calling plays very soon.

pbmax
12-13-2018, 09:39 PM
No different for Gutey if he were acting on his own, right? I can't imagine Murphy hiring a guy Gutey doesn't approve. You could even say that Murphy being responsible for the hire takes some pressure off Gutey. And they both have the challenge of hiring a guy who will get Rodgers to buy-in. Has to be someone he will listen to, respect, and follow. With Rodger's fantastic brain and galaxy-threatening Esper faculties growing at a geometric rate, this will be the challenge of their lifetimes. Too bad they don't have phaser rifles.

But you never know who falls in love with who. I believe all the Fitzgerald talk is nonsense, but what if Murphy is in love? You can talk yourself into anything.

Despite Murphy's "I'm a football guy" protestations during the can Mike press conference, he hasn't been doing NFL football for 25 years like Gutekunst. He's been administration and business side for 10 of his 11 years.

mraynrand
12-13-2018, 09:54 PM
But you never know who falls in love with who. I believe all the Fitzgerald talk is nonsense, but what if Murphy is in love? You can talk yourself into anything.

Despite Murphy's "I'm a football guy" protestations during the can Mike press conference, he hasn't been doing NFL football for 25 years like Gutekunst. He's been administration and business side for 10 of his 11 years.

"with whom"

I still don't see the worry. I don't see Murphy taking over basic GM duties. He will be involved with hiring the coach, but unless I hear that he is forcing Gute to take 'his guy' over Gute's protestations, I just don't see much of a problem.

If Murphy starts making decisions about draft picks or Free Agents, other than maybe giving input on financial/long term organizational financial/structural questions, then I'll be concerned.

mraynrand
12-14-2018, 07:08 AM
If TT were still in charge, he would hire Fitzgerald in a second - he's the epitome of everything TT could want - he'd be that successful slow LB-turned-coach son-he-never-had.