PDA

View Full Version : If Joe Philbin is Listening.....

The Shadow
12-15-2018, 10:34 AM
...the Bears are well aware of Aaron Rodgers' comment about how his favorite play sequence against the Falcons was the 2 screen passes in a row. ALSO : they are well aware of his no-interception streak & are salivating to end it. ALSO : they are focused on stopping the short passing game they think their pass rush will force.
SO : Joe, how about a play that looks like a screen - but is really a deeper pattern?

Joemailman
12-15-2018, 10:56 AM
I've been frustrated all year that the screen wasn't a bigger part of the offense. Whether they actually run a screen, or run something else off of a screen-look, it's a good idea. I just don't know though if you have the time to run a deep pattern off a screen-look, because you're letting the pass rushers through on a screen, and might not have time. Then again, X's and O's aren't my specialty.

gbgary
12-15-2018, 01:21 PM
that wr screen has been asking for it all season.

pbmax
12-15-2018, 01:48 PM

This is the week it actually works. :lol:

I don't mind the smoke route version, where the CB is playing off and you throw it wide. But those 2-3 WR bubble screens have been for minimal yardage all year.

pbmax
12-15-2018, 01:49 PM
I've been frustrated all year that the screen wasn't a bigger part of the offense. Whether they actually run a screen, or run something else off of a screen-look, it's a good idea. I just don't know though if you have the time to run a deep pattern off a screen-look, because you're letting the pass rushers through on a screen, and might not have time. Then again, X's and O's aren't my specialty.

Pass rushers so eager to get up the field that you can't throw deep?

Say hello to the age of the draw play.

texaspackerbacker
12-15-2018, 02:19 PM
A healthy Rodgers can outrun the pass rush most of the time - which is what I like to see. I expect to see the Bears use what was effective against Rodgers last week - a measured pass rush from the outside designed to contain him from rolling out and throwing deep. Either of those types of screen or a swing pass to get the RB outside quick should be effective against that kind of rush. A draw play with Jones might also be effective as long as it isn't used too often. The big problem in all cases, though, is that teams nowhere near as good as the Bears can beat our O Line without blitzing. Thus, they can keep a lot of people in coverage and still put pressure on the QB. Anybody short of Aaron Rodgers, and we would be absolutely screwed.

If Joe Philbin really is listening, Joe, do like last week - play the first quarter and really every quarter like 4th quarter desperation time as we have had so many times this season. Pass pass pass, run for a change of pace, then pass some more. And make more than half of those passes down the field - not necessarily deep patterns, but 10 or 15 or 20 yards down field.

Joemailman
12-15-2018, 02:30 PM
If the Bears get the kind of pressure up the middle that they had in Week 1, it will be tough to have the time to throw downfield. That's why the Packers went to the quick, short passes for most of the 2nd half in that game.

Guiness
12-15-2018, 04:21 PM
How about a tip of another type...save a challenge for a little later in the game than the 2 minute mark of the first quarter?

I wonder if he had an ulterior motive to those calls, sending a message to the referees that he was not going to take bad calls lying down?

Joemailman
12-15-2018, 04:48 PM
How about a tip of another type...save a challenge for a little later in the game than the 2 minute mark of the first quarter?

I wonder if he had an ulterior motive to those calls, sending a message to the referees that he was not going to take bad calls lying down?

The first one I think he had every right to think he was going to win. The second one was much more questionable, and maybe he was trying to send a message to the referees, and/or his players.

wist43
12-15-2018, 06:21 PM

Those only work occasionally, and only against teams with poor tackling corners - like the Packers usually have.