PDA

View Full Version : Rodgers Is In on the Tank

pbmax
12-17-2018, 08:36 AM
The phone call is coming from inside the house. See his two long overthrows.

Many of his other problematic deep throws were under throws. He airmailed two wide open receivers and missed a third on a post.

pbmax
12-17-2018, 08:38 AM
I honestly don't know. Those two overthrows are haunting me.

TravisWilliams23
12-17-2018, 08:39 AM
If he's not in on it, we're in trouble.

pbmax
12-17-2018, 08:45 AM
If he's not in on it, we're in trouble.

This is my worry. That I am gaslighting myself to avoid the truth that gbgary has been talking about since he signed the deal.

gbgary
12-17-2018, 09:24 AM
Rodgers Is In on the Tank

nah. that was his current best yesterday. he's taken care of the ball well this year though.

red
12-17-2018, 09:26 AM
nah. that was his current best yesterday. he's taken care of the ball well this year though.

Easy to not throw into when you don’t throw the ball anywhere near anybody

Didn’t he also set the record this year for throwaways?

texaspackerbacker
12-17-2018, 09:43 AM
Again with the flawed polls - at least put in a "none of the above" in these.

You might see a kinda half-hearted effort or some playing of younger players, etc., but to openly and blatantly tank games? It just isn't done in the NFL, and probably would be fined or otherwise sanctioned if it was.

denverYooper
12-17-2018, 09:47 AM
No 3rd option? General insouciance? Lack of employee engagement?

I don't think Rodgers is "in on" a tank but his focus does not seem to be what it usually is. There are likely a number of reasons, starting with the early injury. Then we have the M3 offense returning to stagnation and becoming a bit of a scramble to locate some semblance of freshness. The OL collapsed and became inconsistent. The only receiver who seems to be able to operate with a less than perfect throw is Adams. Then M3 gets fired and Philbin takes over to run a slightly different flavor. There has been very little consistency.

Rodgers is no longer able to transcend the myriad issues that have come up throughout the year. He's older. He's broken both collarbones. He pulls more muscles. He probably gets rid of the ball a hair quicker than he should nowadays.

So my answer is "No", but not because he's seriously damaged. He needs to learn to play a little differently as an older QB.

gbgary
12-17-2018, 10:00 AM
they need to shut him down, get his knee (and anything else fixed), and let kizer finish the season. maybe they can get a top 8 pick.

Pugger
12-17-2018, 10:12 AM

You might see a kinda half-hearted effort or some playing of younger players, etc., but to openly and blatantly tank games? It just isn't done in the NFL, and probably would be fined or otherwise sanctioned if it was.

No kidding. I don't think anybody at 1265 is tanking and Rodgers isn't damaged goods. Good lord.....

Fritz
12-17-2018, 10:12 AM

The bigger point - I think - in this thread, and the one you're not acknowledging, is that Rodgers is missing on the long, open-receiver throws you advocate for so much - that "let Rodgers be Rodgers."

The real question here is what if you let Rodgers be Rodgers, but he isn't Rodgers any more?

pbmax
12-17-2018, 11:18 AM
The bigger point - I think - in this thread, and the one you're not acknowledging, is that Rodgers is missing on the long, open-receiver throws you advocate for so much - that "let Rodgers be Rodgers."

The real question here is what if you let Rodgers be Rodgers, but he isn't Rodgers any more?

Roger. This is the fear. We might need to bring back Mike Sherman to convince another Hall of Fame to hand the ball off. :lol:

gbgary
12-17-2018, 11:27 AM
next season's scheduled is tough, there's a whole new system/coaching staff/learning curve, to deal with. Rodgers cap hit really gets ridiculous in 2020 ($36m) when some key guys come up for contracts. this season may go down as the best season of Rodgers last contract...yikes.

mraynrand
12-17-2018, 11:30 AM
I was kinda hoping the groin pull would counter the knee injury and restore balance to the farce.

bobblehead
12-17-2018, 01:18 PM
I honestly don't know. Those two overthrows are haunting me.

I thought it looked like he was expecting the guys to break back into the middle of the field in both cases. I think it was as much a factor of not being completely in sync with these receivers as it was a bad throw.

bobblehead
12-17-2018, 01:19 PM
This is my worry. That I am gaslighting myself to avoid the truth that gbgary has been talking about since he signed the deal.

But I will say that when he broke his RIGHT collarbone I pointed out that if it heals just a fraction off of where things were then all the muscles that have spent a lifetime coordinating with the brain would be off by just a smidge and the results could be very bad. It was the reason I was against the new deal before we saw him play again.