PDA

View Full Version : The six highest paid QBs in the nfl all missed the playoffs this year

red
12-30-2018, 10:59 PM
ouch

proof that you actually do need other players on a team to win games

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2018/12/30/highest-paid-quarterbacks-arent-making-the-playoffs-rodgers-garoppolo-cousins-ryan/

maybe some GM someday will realize that you just can't pay QB's half of the salary cap

Carolina_Packer
12-30-2018, 11:17 PM
The going rate is the going rate for guys rated as "the man". You either have him, or you are looking for him.

In the case of the Packers, the rest of the roster has some talent, but there were too many talent holes in the wake of the last years of ThanksTed. There were also a lot of injuries again this year. If not one guy gets hurt this year on either side of the ball (a dream of mine for years), I think we are better on offense, because the snaps are going to more experienced guys like Cobb and Alison, and I think that would have made some difference in getting the offense going.

As for the D, even if all the guys stayed healthy for the entire season, I think there was just not enough talent there to carry them. With a few exceptions, there just aren't enough impact players on that side of the ball.

It's not Rodgers' fault that there are roster holes. GM and scouting must be better and get better results compared to the last several drafts and offseasons under TT.

call_me_ishmael
12-30-2018, 11:39 PM
Outlier year. Raiders rebuilding, Garrofollo injured. No excuse for the other four. How is ATL so bad this year? They were so damn good and extremely young in both 2010 and again in 2016. How did they fall off so quick? Ice must be extremely overrated.

texaspackerbacker
12-30-2018, 11:53 PM
So does this mitigate all the stupid whining about Aaron Rodgers? Or are the idiots and ingrates just gonna double down on it?

BTW, does this incredibly mean that Brady and Brees are NOT among the six highest paid? Or is the thread title false advertizing?

bobblehead
12-30-2018, 11:55 PM
ouch

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2018/12/30/highest-paid-quarterbacks-arent-making-the-playoffs-rodgers-garoppolo-cousins-ryan/

maybe some GM someday will realize that you just can't pay QB's half of the salary cap

Early this year I said that the right move was to trade Rodgers and start fresh, but there was no way it would happen. I believe it more than ever now.

Anti-Polar Bear
12-31-2018, 02:50 AM
Early this year I said that the right move was to trade Rodgers and start fresh, but there was no way it would happen. I believe it more than ever now.

Rodgers to Vegas for 4 1sts and Carr.

mraynrand
12-31-2018, 06:50 AM

I think that was discussed here. I recall several saying that you might get a lot less for Rodgers than you hoped for. He is a declining 35 year old QB, with a huge cap hit. As a GM, even if you get that right, you've crippled yourself by losing picks. So I think you are actually right - the best move would have been to trade Rodgers. And there was no way it would happen - but maybe not for the reasons you believe.

texaspackerbacker
12-31-2018, 10:23 AM
Rodgers to Vegas for 4 1sts and Carr.

I'd even say yes to that. Rodgers should have continued excellence to at least the same age as Tom Brady, and Brady is into his 40s and still playing at a high level.

denverYooper
12-31-2018, 11:19 AM
Outlier year. Raiders rebuilding, Garrofollo injured. No excuse for the other four. How is ATL so bad this year? They were so damn good and extremely young in both 2010 and again in 2016. How did they fall off so quick? Ice must be extremely overrated.

Kyle Shannahan left.

gbgary
12-31-2018, 11:51 AM
yes the market is the market but why bump the market 10+%, 2 years early, on a qb coming off a throwing arm injury, who's 35 year's old, for 6 more years? your team's best players all got old at the same time and it's in need of a rebuild...badly in need of a rebuild. they should have waited. after this year do you think they'd still offer $33.5m/yr with a year left on his contract? nope. they'd see what cousins gave min for 30 and laugh. they'd have said "the current market has topped out. let's do 4 at $25 fully guaranteed. take it or leave it. we've got a rebuild to do."...if they were smart.

texaspackerbacker
12-31-2018, 12:05 PM
It's bonehead STUPID to suggest rebuilding. We are blessed to have the STILL Greatest QB in the league. It doesn't take a helluva lot else to have a top level team. Hopefully, whoever the new coach is will see it that way and will emphasize what we have and what this team does best.

Even after the way this season turned to shit, I ask, would anybody in here seriously not pick the Packers - Aaron Rodgers' Packers - in any given game against anybody? But for a few freak occurrences, things would have been way different even this season.

woodbuck27
12-31-2018, 12:06 PM
The going rate is the going rate for guys rated as "the man". You either have him, or you are looking for him.

In the case of the Packers, the rest of the roster has some talent, but there were too many talent holes in the wake of the last years of ThanksTed. There were also a lot of injuries again this year. If not one guy gets hurt this year on either side of the ball (a dream of mine for years), I think we are better on offense, because the snaps are going to more experienced guys like Cobb and Alison, and I think that would have made some difference in getting the offense going.

As for the D, even if all the guys stayed healthy for the entire season, I think there was just not enough talent there to carry them. With a few exceptions, there just aren't enough impact players on that side of the ball.

It's not Rodgers' fault that there are roster holes. GM and scouting must be better and get better results compared to the last several drafts and offseasons under TT.

I agree that injuries really hurt the Packers Roster and we see this adversity to0o often Season to Season and ask myself can the training staff do anything as a preventative measure here or a deterrent to so mmany falling?

The Packers have an outstandingly talenteed QB but to take advantage the Brass have to:

A) The Offensive Line: Insure an exc3ellent OL (see Andrew Luck in Indy) targets The RHS of the OL needs talent and service at RT.

B.) WR and TE: I hope we get a legitimate, a very talented and fast WR this off season. Someone to truly complikment Damonte Adams. Aaron's computer head is all about the best possible way to get the exact task at hand done; he must be confident in his WR's strengths. Can we ever hope to see a real answer for a two three year period and at TE?

C.) Yout team is only as good as your backup QB. The Packers need one now.

D.) Inspite of the fact the Packers were amongst the best sacking the QB' we need to see an impact player arrive and ' be a force' on the DL. See the off season move for da Bears and bringing in K. Mack ! That was an impact move and that wins !

E.) Linebacker: I hope the Packers go D and D in Round One of this upcoming Draft. Please and Linebacker: Perry and CM III are done.

F.) I'm a Poker Player. I can assure you after playing Poker for six decades that to win big you have to play the gamble. play the feel. Conservatism and Pro mSports is too often only safe and not the winner. The Packers need star impact players on both sides of the ball. Frankly they are far too few and for some silly reason we had them and their playing on other NFL Teams. Wed as fans will msuffer TT and MM for likely the duration of Aaron Rodgers Career now. They needed to go 4-5 years ago and too many in here were blind to that fact. Now we suffer as fans. To take any advantage of Aaron Rodgers the Teams GM must get impact palayers on the Roster or year after year as Aaron Rodgers burns out we will simply suffer.

GO PACK GO !

mraynrand
12-31-2018, 12:07 PM
We are blessed to have the STILL Greatest QB in the league.

There is no statistical or observational support for this statement whatsoever. But, hope springs eternal.

mraynrand
12-31-2018, 12:17 PM
A) The Offensive Line: Insure an exc3ellent OL (see Andrew Luck in Indy) targets The RHS of the OL needs talent and service at RT.

agree

B.) WR and TE: I hope we get a legitimate, a very talented and fast WR this off season. Someone to truly complikment Damonte Adams. Aaron's computer head is all about the best possible way to get the exact task at hand done; he must be confident in his WR's strengths. Can we ever hope to see a real answer for a two three year period and at TE?

agree that a top flight receiving threat is needed. Fast receiver or agile, big TE. Need someone who can actually get open. Can't rely on precision throws from Rodgers any longer.

C.) Yout team is only as good as your backup QB. The Packers need one now. disagree. Need to do better, but there's no cash for this. An alternative would be to draft Rodger's replacement. Good QBs don't appear late in the draft. Kizer is inaccurate and I don't think that's curable.

D.) Inspite of the fact the Packers were amongst the best sacking the QB' we need to see an impact player arrive and ' be a force' on the DL. See the off season move for da Bears and bringing in K. Mack ! That was an impact move and that wins ! Line or OLB, depending on scheme, but need a pass rusher.

F.) I'm a Poker Player. I can assure you after playing Poker for six decades that to win big you have to play the gamble. play the feel. Conservatism and Pro mSports is too often only safe and not the winner. The Packers need star impact players on both sides of the ball. Frankly they are far too few and for some silly reason we had them and their playing on other NFL Teams. I'm unaware of any star impact players who are former Packers. Packers need to draft better and they do need some top flight physical
talents. J'Xander was a solid pick, but the rest of the 2018 draft is either meh or yet to be determined. No way to know yet whether Gute is up to the task. Question marks everywhere you look this offseason.

gbgary
12-31-2018, 12:17 PM
top 15 paid qb's (https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2018/08/29/nfl-highest-paid-qbs/15/)

he's still a very good qb but his deal was horrible!

bobblehead
12-31-2018, 12:24 PM
I think that was discussed here. I recall several saying that you might get a lot less for Rodgers than you hoped for. He is a declining 35 year old QB, with a huge cap hit. As a GM, even if you get that right, you've crippled yourself by losing picks. So I think you are actually right - the best move would have been to trade Rodgers. And there was no way it would happen - but maybe not for the reasons you believe.

I think 2 1sts for him is reasonable from a team like Jacksonville that has a window but no QB. I wouldn't expect more than that for him.

texaspackerbacker
12-31-2018, 12:24 PM
There is no statistical or observational support for this statement whatsoever. But, hope springs eternal.

4,442 yards passing, 25 TD passes, 2 interceptions - both on deflections, another 269 rushing yards and 2 more TDs. I guess a few QBs around the league might have done better ...... damn few.

Whiners gonna whine; Ingrates gonna piss and moan; Whatever.

woodbuck27
12-31-2018, 12:30 PM
yes the market is the market but why bump the market 10+%, 2 years early, on a qb coming off a throwing arm injury, who's 35 year's old, for 6 more years? your team's best players all got old at the same time and it's in need of a rebuild...badly in need of a rebuild. they should have waited. after this year do you think they'd still offer $33.5m/yr with a year left on his contract? nope. they'd see what cousins gave min for 30 and laugh. they'd have said "the current market has topped out. let's do 3 at $28 fully guaranteed. take it or leave it. we've got a rebuild to do."...if they were smart.

Frankly the Packers just suck. It was getting there for the last few years and it's defnitely now arrived. This fact is too obvious.

Tear up the old and definitely and immediately begin toi install the new.

We need to see a brand new 'three year plan' and just hope Aaron Rodgers can still execute. He has a lot to respond to over the next two Seasons. Was he prematurely overpaid. What was the reason for 'the rush' to give him so much of the CAP? We all should have been aware that MM was done. That there were obvious issues between him and Aaron Rodgers was in our face the TRUTH. The body language spoke mountains.

So we have the QB and that's big. Let's see the Teams Brass put the talent around him that he needs 'on both sides of the ball' and starting now.

GO PACK GO !

bobblehead
12-31-2018, 12:31 PM
4,442 yards passing, 25 TD passes, 2 interceptions - both on deflections, another 269 rushing yards and 2 more TDs. I guess a few QBs around the league might have done better ...... damn few.

He is still really good. Not $33 million good, but we could win a super OWL with him. Problem is we don't have the supporting cast unless about 6 things break the correct way. Odds of going 6 for 6...slim.

woodbuck27
12-31-2018, 12:38 PM
From the LINK in red's post:

" There’s a reason the Patriots have been so successful when Tom Brady has been at quarterback. It’s because Brady takes a crazy discount every year. He allows the Patriots to build a strong middle of the roster because they don’t have to spend so much money on their star player. Look at some of the successful teams that have won Super Bowls and made the playoffs recently. they do it when their quarterback is on a cheap contract. The Seahawks built the Legion of Boom because Russell Wilson was paid well below market rate on a rookie contract. This year the Rams — Jared Goff — Bears — Mitch Trubisky — Texans — Deshaun Watson — Cowboys — Dak Prescott — Ravens — Lamar Jackson — and Chiefs — Patrick Mahomes — are all on rookie deals. It allows their teams to spend money elsewhere. We could even include the Eagles in this list. "

gbgary
12-31-2018, 12:42 PM
It's bonehead STUPID to suggest rebuilding.

what do you think they're in the midst of right now? it started with the TT & MM firings. they just handicapped themselves in a big way with the Rodgers contract though...and it may not fully happen while he's still good because of it.

texaspackerbacker
12-31-2018, 12:54 PM
He is still really good. Not $33 million good, but we could win a super OWL with him. Problem is we don't have the supporting cast unless about 6 things break the correct way. Odds of going 6 for 6...slim.

Then the thing to do is obviously to get the supporting cast. We actually aren't as far from that as some people seem to think. Every time I criticize the O Line I hear from some how it ain't really that bad. Skill players: our RBs and WRs are plenty good enough IMO. Having a coach who will make a little bit better use of them should help. Our D could use some improvement, but there are a lot of believers in Pettine, and we've had some damn good years with D that was nothing special anyway.

Bottom line is, yes, we do need some things to break the right way - or at least not to break horribly the wrong way like this year ........ In other words, LUCK.

mraynrand
12-31-2018, 12:55 PM

I’m not whining. You claimed he was the greatest QB in the league. He’s not.

texaspackerbacker
12-31-2018, 01:08 PM
what do you think they're in the midst of right now? it started with the TT & MM firings. they just handicapped themselves in a big way with the Rodgers contract though...and it may not fully happen while he's still good because of it.

I don't know what your idea of rebuilding is, but when I hear that damn word, I think of tearing down, planning on at least a few bad years, getting rid of good players, etc. Think Raiders this year. the Niners a few years back, others I will leave for others to bring up. That shit is for losers; I don't ever under any circumstance want any team I love in any sport to be that STUPID.

Now if you're talking about rebuilding "on the fly" - having some turnover of players as needed, upgrading, etc., which I wouldn't even call rebuilding, then hell yeah, we gotta do what we gotta do - and that starts with keeping the GOAT QB who still should have 5 or more excellent years left.

denverYooper
12-31-2018, 01:13 PM
Wait until we find out that Tom Brady has been given a chain of car dealerships after he retires as "back pay"

texaspackerbacker
12-31-2018, 01:14 PM
I’m not whining. You claimed he was the greatest QB in the league. He’s not.

You talked (whined) about stats; I checked on Mahomes, Goff, Brady, Brees, and Wilson, and only Mahomes had clearly better stats in terms of yardage, TDs, interceptions, the whole picture. So if Mahomes can keep that up for 10 or 15 more years, he can be the GOAT. For this year, I'll just claim that based on stats, Rodgers was the second best in the league. And based observation - which you also talked about, Rodgers had a helluva lot lesser supporting cast than Mahomes or any of the rest of those.

gbgary
12-31-2018, 01:15 PM
I don't know what your idea of rebuilding is, but when I hear that damn word, I think of tearing down, planning on at least a few bad years, getting rid of good players, etc. Think Raiders this year. the Niners a few years back, others I will leave for others to bring up. That shit is for losers; I don't ever under any circumstance want any team I love in any sport to be that STUPID.

Now if you're talking about rebuilding "on the fly" - having some turnover of players as needed, upgrading, etc., which I wouldn't even call rebuilding, then hell yeah, we gotta do what we gotta do - and that starts with keeping the GOAT QB who still should have 5 or more excellent years left.

they don't have any choice but to do it on the fly at this point.

Anti-Polar Bear
12-31-2018, 01:24 PM
Brady’s the GOAT, and he’s willing to sign “hometown discount” contracts b/c his MILF wife makes more frogskins annually than he does - and he didn’t have to sign no prenup contract.

texaspackerbacker
12-31-2018, 01:27 PM
they don't have any choice but to do it on the fly at this point.

Are you seriously saying you would want it otherwise?

ThunderDan
12-31-2018, 01:33 PM
I don't know what your idea of rebuilding is, but when I hear that damn word, I think of tearing down, planning on at least a few bad years, getting rid of good players, etc.

Just to get this straight, at the end of 2016 we had 70 players on the roster including IR and practice squad

Of those 70 we now have 20 of those players left on the team. We have turned over 70+% of our roster in two years.

gbgary
12-31-2018, 01:42 PM
Are you seriously saying you would want it otherwise?

as i said last year before the draft the time to make the rebuild decision was then. i said offer Rodgers to cle. i said if they bite you draft Mayfield and Bradley Chubb plus plus. you have your qb and edge. you drop Clay, maybe Cobb, but no need to dump any other salaries. no cap issues for 5 years to get whoever you want. it didn't happen. they did the polar opposite with the insane extension. we have what we have now.

i'm not anti-Rodgers but i was anti-extension because of the circumstances. i am anti-Packers sucking. i am thinking long term.

Vincenzo
12-31-2018, 01:44 PM
ouch

[url]https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2018/12/30/highest-paid-quarterbacks-arent-making-the-playoffs-rodgers-garoppolo-cousins-ryan/[/u

This is interesting to say the least!

texaspackerbacker
12-31-2018, 04:11 PM
Just to get this straight, at the end of 2016 we had 70 players on the roster including IR and practice squad

Of those 70 we now have 20 of those players left on the team. We have turned over 70+% of our roster in two years.

It's a matter of quality more than of quantity. Who did we get rid of that was all that good? Nelson? Clinton-Dix? Randall? I'd even argue against either of them being all that special. I'm talking "fire sale" type rebuilding. We haven't done that, and we damn well better not start now.

gbgary
12-31-2018, 04:28 PM
It's a matter of quality more than of quantity. Who did we get rid of that was all that good? Nelson? Clinton-Dix? Randall? I'd even argue against either of them being all that special. I'm talking "fire sale" type rebuilding. We haven't done that, and we damn well better not start now.

there's no reason to do that now. the biggest salary dump we have, other than Rodgers, is Adams. that isn't happening. no one else would bring a first round pick not even Clark. we don't have the talent to do such a thing.

Vincenzo
12-31-2018, 04:50 PM
there's no reason to do that now. the biggest salary dump we have, other than Rodgers, is Adams. that isn't happening. no one else would bring a first round pick not even Clark. we don't have the talent to do such a thing.
Nick Perry belongs in a dumpster fire, I’d toss whatever I could when it comes to that POS.

gbgary
12-31-2018, 05:00 PM
Nick Perry belongs in a dumpster fire, I’d toss whatever I could when it comes to that POS.

forgot about him. he's gone.

pbmax
12-31-2018, 05:17 PM
yes the market is the market but why bump the market 10+%, 2 years early, on a qb coming off a throwing arm injury, who's 35 year's old, for 6 more years? your team's best players all got old at the same time and it's in need of a rebuild...badly in need of a rebuild. they should have waited. after this year do you think they'd still offer $33.5m/yr with a year left on his contract? nope. they'd see what cousins gave min for 30 and laugh. they'd have said "the current market has topped out. let's do 4 at $25 fully guaranteed. take it or leave it. we've got a rebuild to do."...if they were smart.

Packers flat out refused to do fully guaranteed or percentage of cap deal. Wanted traditional pay as you go all the way.

pbmax
01-01-2019, 04:39 PM
Scott Kacsmar @FO_ScottKacsmar

Highest rate of off-target throws, 2018
1. Josh Allen 23.7%
2. Sam Darnold 20.4%
3. Tom Brady 20.1%
4. Aaron Rodgers 19.9%
5. Matthew Stafford 19.4%

Excludes throwaways

[Source: ESPN]

gbgary
01-01-2019, 05:42 PM
Scott Kacsmar @FO_ScottKacsmar

Highest rate of off-target throws, 2018
1. Josh Allen 23.7%
2. Sam Darnold 20.4%
3. Tom Brady 20.1%
4. Aaron Rodgers 19.9%
5. Matthew Stafford 19.4%

Excludes throwaways

[Source: ESPN]

and Rodgers led the league in T/A's i believe...figure that in and he'd probably be at the top of the list.

Pugger
01-01-2019, 05:47 PM
top 15 paid qb's (https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2018/08/29/nfl-highest-paid-qbs/15/)

he's still a very good qb but his deal was horrible!

No, the horrible deal is the one the stupid Vikings gave Kirk Cousins.

Pugger
01-01-2019, 05:48 PM
Brady’s the GOAT, and he’s willing to sign “hometown discount” contracts b/c his MILF wife makes more frogskins annually than he does - and he didn’t have to sign no prenup contract.

Rodgers doesn't have a wife who is worth more than he is.

Pugger
01-01-2019, 05:49 PM

Clark is more highly thought of than you are suggesting.

Pugger
01-01-2019, 05:50 PM
forgot about him. he's gone.

With any luck....

Upnorth
01-02-2019, 03:56 PM
I really don't care what a qb makes in any given year, but I do care what they count against the cap.

https://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/2018/

So the 5th place cap qb is andrew luck. 4th is Joe flacco, who is a backup at this point. But if you get rid of Garapallo, the difference between the 2nd highest (Matt Stafford at 26.5 Mill) and Drew Brees (tied 6th at 24 mill) is 2.5 million. So not much, 1.5ish percent, or mountain, meet mole hill that promotes clicks.
HOmetown discount superhero to the salary cap Tom Brady saves 4.5 mill, which helps, but I believe isn't as impactful as it is made out to be. Unless you get really geeked up about 1.2% difference...

texaspackerbacker
01-02-2019, 04:03 PM
Good Post and Good Link. So Aaron Rodgers ranks 14th in salary against the cap? Very Interesting. That ought to shut up some of the whiners and detractors.

gbgary
01-02-2019, 06:19 PM
Good Post and Good Link. So Aaron Rodgers ranks 14th in salary against the cap? Very Interesting. That ought to shut up some of the whiners and detractors.

this year. 2020 it starts getting stupid...and he'll be #1...and 37. and don't forget his cap number has been a bother since the last time he was the highest paid qb. this time it'll be worse.
https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/1/2/18164980/nfl-playoffs-quarterbacks-salary-cap-kirk-cousins-patrick-mahomes

texaspackerbacker
01-03-2019, 12:43 PM
That problem - if indeed it is a problem - is easily cured by restructuring in a way that is favorable to both the player and the team.

run pMc
01-03-2019, 01:06 PM
I don't mind the money so much -- they aren't going to be better without him, and you don't let QBs like him go without an in-house replacement. Plus, signing him earlier lets them spread the amount over more years so it's easier on the cap. I think, assuming the OL can keep him safer and 2 of the WRs make the year 2 leap, he will have a bounce-back year. This year was pretty scary if you consider he was often playing at a level that approximated Brett Hundley.

The point of the cap is to level the playing field. As players age, they often become more expensive and prone to injuries. That's why rookie contracts -- and especially starting QBs on rookie contracts -- are valuable. Much easier to build a supporting cast (e.g., a strong defense) that way. You could look at draft picks that way -- draft positions based on what it would cost to get a top 16 player at that position in FA. What I'm being Capt. Obvious about is that if you pay big money for a QB but they (or the rest of the team) falters you're gonna miss the playoffs. That the top 6 didn't make it might be a statistical anomaly, do we know how often it's happened in the last 10 years?