PDA

View Full Version : The Official other Teams and General NFL News (includes) Management and Coaching moves.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5]

mraynrand
07-28-2020, 06:31 AM
What are you, some kind of barbarian?

You noticed!

Fosco33
07-28-2020, 11:32 AM
Have to imagine NFL is following NBA and MLB closely for covid, in game transmission, public perception, etc.

While I don’t think much of covid for <35 - the staff and coaches could be a some risk.

Would you be open to Divisional Bubbles and a Playoff Bubble?

Ie - NFC North plays all games in Detroit in a bubble. Each team would play each other 3 or 4 times and Division champs make playoffs (in a lagger bubble).

I just envision a handful of teams with 20% infection and the whole thing falling apart pretty quick.

I’d rather have Division games than none at all...

SudsMcBucky
07-28-2020, 12:12 PM
Personally, I don't have a problem with ANY of these sports playing in a bubble. However, I think the reason the NBA is able to pull it off is because they're only doing the last few regular season games and the playoffs. I'm not sure MLB and NFL players are going to be easily convinced to play that long of a period like that.

mraynrand
07-28-2020, 12:51 PM

While I don’t think much of covid for <35 - the staff and coaches could be a some risk.

I’d pay extra if Stubby wore a hazmat suit all season long.

Fosco33
08-09-2020, 07:33 PM
Some talk of B10 talking to other conferences about pushing college ball to spring.

Wonder how that’d work. When would it start/finish. Imagine a rose bowl around the 4th is July?

Imagine moving nfl draft - or drafting active college players?

GB-Brandon
08-09-2020, 07:52 PM
Not happening in the fall

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/report-college-football-expected-to-be-canceled-this-week/

Patler
08-10-2020, 12:09 AM
Some talk of B10 talking to other conferences about pushing college ball to spring.

Wonder how that’d work. When would it start/finish. Imagine a rose bowl around the 4th is July?

Imagine moving nfl draft - or drafting active college players?

Decades ago, the draft was in November, after the college seasons but before the bowl games. Bowl game broadcasts often discussed various players and the NFL teams they were going to.

Fosco33
08-10-2020, 01:04 PM
In today’s age - there are lots of guys who know they’re a top draft pick who skip bowls.

What’s gonna happen if they play in spring. Move draft back to late June? Risk injury. Players drafted without a season or leaving programs after the draft?

Patler
08-10-2020, 01:54 PM
In today’s age - there are lots of guys who know they’re a top draft pick who skip bowls.

When the draft was before the bowl games, players would sometimes sign their professional contracts so as to be disqualified from playing the bowl game, thereby avoiding the risk of injury. College coaches weren't as understanding of a player just skipping the game as now. It was always kind of interesting hearing broadcasters and their guests discussing how a player would fit in on the team that drafted them.

What’s gonna happen if they play in spring. Move draft back to late June? Risk injury. Players drafted without a season or leaving programs after the draft?

Moving to June would make it the same as now, draft after the college season. With no season, they will draft whenever, based on info already in hand and additional workouts, if held. I'm sure the better players are already well-scouted by the NFL.

Interesting will be if the NCAA cancels for the entire year, and grants seniors another year of eligibility. Will the NFL draft only those who "declare" for the draft. Could make for a much smaller pool.

Fosco33
08-10-2020, 02:04 PM
Yeah / good call. If the season doesn’t happen - they’ll grant players an extra year for sure. But would they let guys (freshman) go Draft eligible without a season?

call_me_ishmael
08-10-2020, 02:22 PM
Yeah / good call. If the season doesn’t happen - they’ll grant players an extra year for sure. But would they let guys (freshman) go Draft eligible without a season?

I believe the NFL criteria is years removed from high school (3 years is current rule) so presumably it doesn't have anything to do with the NCAA at all.

Patler
08-10-2020, 11:38 PM
I believe the NFL criteria is years removed from high school (3 years is current rule) so presumably it doesn't have anything to do with the NCAA at all.

The issue that could come up is not years from high school, it is remaining college eligibility. In typical years the NFL doesn't draft underclassmen unless they "declare" for the draft. The draft is for players who have used up their college eligibility, and those who meet the three years from high school graduation requirement, and forgo their remaining college eligibility by declaring for the NFL draft.

My question is this, if the NCAA gives everyone another year of college eligibility in 2021, will the NFL draft only players who actively give up that additional year, or will the go ahead and draft anyone who would have used up their eligibility in 2020 whether or not they actively give up the added year? If they go ahead and draft anyone they could have if the seasons weren't cancelled, this years "seniors" could be in the enviable position of being able to chose between going pro with the team that drafted them, or returning to college under the added year of eligibility.

If the NFL requires players to give up the added year, the draft pool could be somewhat smaller.

Rastak
08-16-2020, 06:01 PM
The issue that could come up is not years from high school, it is remaining college eligibility. In typical years the NFL doesn't draft underclassmen unless they "declare" for the draft. The draft is for players who have used up their college eligibility, and those who meet the three years from high school graduation requirement, and forgo their remaining college eligibility by declaring for the NFL draft.

My question is this, if the NCAA gives everyone another year of college eligibility in 2021, will the NFL draft only players who actively give up that additional year, or will the go ahead and draft anyone who would have used up their eligibility in 2020 whether or not they actively give up the added year? If they go ahead and draft anyone they could have if the seasons weren't cancelled, this years "seniors" could be in the enviable position of being able to chose between going pro with the team that drafted them, or returning to college under the added year of eligibility.

If the NFL requires players to give up the added year, the draft pool could be somewhat smaller.

That's a real good question Patler. I had not considered that. I guess we'll have to see what the NFL decides and how the NCAA reacts.

jklowan
09-01-2020, 02:06 PM
Well that Mixon signing in Cinncy puts the nail in the not gonna resign Aaron Jones 12 mill per for 4 years yikes

run pMc
09-01-2020, 05:04 PM
Well that Mixon signing in Cinncy puts the nail in the not gonna resign Aaron Jones 12 mill per for 4 years yikes

https://twitter.com/wludford/status/1300905894264344579

Fournette clears waivers, McCaffrey got $64MM deal, Dalvin Cook on hold until next year, Mixon gets new $48MM deal, Kamara wants new contract better than Mixon's, could be traded.

#4, #8, #41, #48, and #67 picks- 1st 5 RBs- in 2017 draft going in different directions.

RashanGary
09-01-2020, 05:12 PM
Jones gonna want about 12. Almost worth it, but I’d rather keep Alexander.

RashanGary
09-01-2020, 05:13 PM
Alexander and King both. Most athletic (and smart) secondary in the league for the next 4 years if we keep those two.

RashanGary
09-01-2020, 05:14 PM
We’ll be the best 3rd down defense in football this year, and for a long time if we don’t overvalue a running back .

Bretsky
09-02-2020, 06:12 PM
We’ll be the best 3rd down defense in football this year, and for a long time if we don’t overvalue a running back .

Do you think it's one or the other ? I feel kinda bad; I listened to an interview of Aaron Jones last year and he clearly wanted to stay in GB and it sounded like he was going to give us a deal. But I"m not convinced we are interested and the AJ Dillon selection is a classic Packer GM move to draft a guy to replace a guy you know we are losing soon.

on ESPN the other say they noted a GM stated the position of RB is like the 12th most important position now and so the money follows.

I'd expect them to to resign Back and the CB's over Jones if they have to decide.

RashanGary
09-02-2020, 09:23 PM
Do you think it's one or the other ? I feel kinda bad; I listened to an interview of Aaron Jones last year and he clearly wanted to stay in GB and it sounded like he was going to give us a deal. But I"m not convinced we are interested and the AJ Dillon selection is a classic Packer GM move to draft a guy to replace a guy you know we are losing soon.

on ESPN the other say they noted a GM stated the position of RB is like the 12th most important position now and so the money follows.

I'd expect them to to resign Back and the CB's over Jones if they have to decide.

I'm very disappointed to lose Jones. Big fan of the person and player. But unfortunately, we complain every year that we lose in the playoffs with a top offense and bad defense for 20 years. It might be better to keep the defense together and ask Rodgers to work his 30 million dollar magic with one less piece.

RashanGary
09-02-2020, 09:24 PM
Patriots won a lot of super bowls with some hogepoge offenses and really good ST/D. Giants won a couple. It's not unheard of.