PDA

View Full Version : The Official other Teams and General NFL News (includes) Management and Coaching moves.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

woodbuck27
12-31-2018, 02:46 PM
Well finally this was done:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/more-sports/marvin-lewis-out-as-bengals-head-coach/vi-BBRDW3k?ocid=mailsignout

Marvin Lewis out as Bengals head coach

Duration: 00:32 1 hour ago

woodbuck27
12-31-2018, 02:57 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001006469/article/miami-dolphins-fire-head-coach-adam-gase

Miami Dolphins fire head coach Adam Gase

By Kevin Patra ... Around the NFL Writer

Published: Dec. 31, 2018 at 09:58 a.m. Updated: Dec. 31, 2018 at 02:21 p.m.

pbmax
01-01-2019, 01:49 PM
Where do we want McCarthy coaching rumors? Here?

Or the nice things thread?

esoxx
01-01-2019, 04:37 PM
Where do we want McCarthy coaching rumors? Here?

Or the nice things thread?

Here would do well as it's an "official" thread.

Big Mac being potentially interviewed in TB isn't a nice thing to say type deal.

pbmax
01-01-2019, 04:52 PM
Fair point. He could end up coaching in Arizona as well.

Rutnstrut
01-01-2019, 05:08 PM
Both TB and Arizona have been tabbed by many as the new bottom of the list places to go coach. If stubby is such a great coach, surely he will have better options.

pbmax
01-01-2019, 09:15 PM
Tampa is interesting. Lotta talent. Defense is lost. But that offense should score like gangbusters. If you trust the GM to keep finding players, could be interesting.

But apparently not the Cardinals:

"NFL Network's Jim Trotter reports Mike McCarthy is not interested in the Cardinals' head coaching position."

pbmax
01-01-2019, 09:18 PM
The Browns will interview ex-Packers coach Mike McCarthy for their head-coaching vacancy Thursday.
McCarthy has also been linked to the Jets and Bucs but has turned down the Cardinals. Despite wearing out his welcome in Green Bay, McCarthy seems like a good bet to land another head job right away.
Source: Rob Demovsky on Twitter Jan 1 - 9:18 PM

pbmax
01-01-2019, 09:22 PM
Michael David Smith @MichaelDavSmith
Williams informed owner Jimmy Haslam that he would like to know soon if he's getting the job because all seven other teams with vacancies want to interview him, and another four teams have told him they'll fire their coach today if he'll take their jobs.

:lol:

Best joke of the day.

pbmax
01-01-2019, 09:28 PM
Ian Rapoport @RapSheet
McCarthy will talk to the #Browns this week, the #Jets, too, and that might be it. He’ll be picky.

Always suspected RapSheet's inside Packer source was M3's agent.

call_me_ishmael
01-01-2019, 11:10 PM
I guess I'd wait a year for a better opening than NYJ Or Cleveland if I were MM. They're the two teams with bright spots at quarterback but dysfunctional, awful organizations to support them. Gun to my head and having to choose a team this year, you obviously go NYJ. Cleveland is still Cleveland.

Surely Atlanta, Carolina or NYG* next year would be better openings. My gut feeling is Pittsburgh is going to implode enough to move on from whats-his-name and that's where he'd be a great fit and at his happiest.

* Making the assumption that NYG would happily can Shurmur for MM, which I am extremely confident they would if he has a repeat of this year.

denverYooper
01-02-2019, 08:34 AM
Ian Rapoport @RapSheet
Always suspected RapSheet's inside Packer source was M3's agent.

We should have a better feel for that soon ;)

Guiness
01-02-2019, 11:17 AM
Williams informed owner Jimmy Haslam that he would like to know soon if he's getting the job because all seven other teams with vacancies want to interview him, and another four teams have told him they'll fire their coach today if he'll take their jobs.

Best joke of the day.

If he really wants the job he'll recruit the homeless around the stadium to bend Haslam's ear:talk:

pbmax
01-02-2019, 12:45 PM
Part of me is thrilled beyond belief.

Rotoworld Football @Rotoworld_FB
Report: Hue Jackson candidate for Vikings OC

But Rastak deserves better.

pbmax
01-02-2019, 03:25 PM
I can confirm that the Bucs are interviewing Eric Bieniemy today (he is also interviewing with the Jets). He took over for Matt Nagy as offensive coordinator in KC this year. Those I've spoken with who know/have worked with him frequently used the word "passion" and "no nonsense" to describe him. Also "tough love." The Bucs are looking for someone who has a straight-forward approach the way Dirk Koetter did.

Jenna Laine, ESPN Staff Writer

pbmax
01-02-2019, 03:37 PM
Ian Rapoport @RapSheet
From Up to the Minute: To those of us who rolled our eyes at the suggestion that #USC OC Kliff Kingsbury would get NFL head-coaching interviews... well, he has two.

Jets and Cardinals

Joemailman
01-02-2019, 06:55 PM
Part of me is thrilled beyond belief.

Rotoworld Football @Rotoworld_FB
Report: Hue Jackson candidate for Vikings OC

But Rastak deserves better.

Hue Jackson will interview for the Bengals HC job.http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001006997/article/hue-jackson-set-to-interview-for-bengals-coaching-job

Makes sense. Why wouldn't a team that stuck with Marvin Lewis for 16 years hire Hue Jackson?

pbmax
01-03-2019, 12:53 AM
This might not be nice so it goes here:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dv6-d5qX0AAzN94.jpg

OK, Cleveland is 8-9 hours from GB by car, not that they would be driving. New York (with 1 stop) is just under five hours at best. Phoenix (1 stop) is just under 7 hours.

2 hours difference is too much? Do you want a coach living in a hotel with the family at home?

call_me_ishmael
01-03-2019, 01:42 AM
I wonder how many more years of school they have, and if there is a gap before the younger ones would start HS when the older ones graduate. He's been in GB so long it's hard to keep track.

What if he went all Cowher and just took a weekend TV gig for a few years until the time is right? I could see it. I don't know the guy but everything I've read paints him as an excellent Dad - as good as one could reasonably with his with crazy career and hours.

Anti-Polar Bear
01-03-2019, 02:56 AM

Best joke of the day.

Williams is an egoist or an egotist?

Pugger
01-03-2019, 09:50 AM
I'd like to see what McCarthy can do with Mayfield or Darnold.

pbmax
01-06-2019, 10:44 AM
With apologies to Rastak, I am growing less and less concerned with the Vikings. There is a chance they marry run dominated offense with defense and become terrifying, but Mularkey doesn't scare me. It might help harness Cousins worst tendencies, but as you are going to need to score when teams are concentrating on your run game, I think his ability to be dumb in big spots will surface even more.

https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/06/report-kevin-stefanski-likely-gone-mike-mularkey-the-favorite-to-replace-him/?utm_source=farrar&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=touchdownwire

By: Kyle Ratke | 37 minutes ago
A curveball has been thrown in the Minnesota Vikings’ search for an offensive coordinator.

After most thought the Vikings would likely bring back interim offensive coordinator Kevin Stefanski, Charley Walters of the Pioneer Press reported on Sunday that Stefanski is likely to move on (by his own choice), and the Vikings are seriously considering Mike Mularkey.

Mularkey was out of the league last season after two-plus seasons as coach of the Tennessee Titans. There, he amassed a 20-21 record, including back-to-back 9-7 campaigns.

This is a coach who has eight seasons of experience as an offensive coordinator and in four of those seasons, his team ranked in the top five in rushing attempts.

That’s where this makes some sense. Vikings coach Mike Zimmer has preached running the ball, and that’s something Mularkey (the man who brought us Exotic Smashmouth Football) loves to do.

pbmax
01-06-2019, 11:16 AM
Harbaugh looking to re-sign, team wants him back but have not agreed to deal yet. You will not be stunned that suddenly, TWO TEAMS with openings have inquired about his status according to a League Source (named John Harbaugh's agent). And remember that there are eight total openings, so that number may go higher!

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25696904/baltimore-ravens-want-john-harbaugh-back-sides-continue-contract-talks

denverYooper
01-06-2019, 05:42 PM
9NEWS Denver Retweeted
Mike Klis
‏Verified account @MikeKlis
1m1 minute ago

Broncos search committee has arrived in Chicago-area where they can observe how Vic Fangio’s Bears defense has so far frustrated the Doug Pederson offense that put up 51 on Denver D last year. #9sports

Fangio with Von Miller, Bradley Chubb, Chris Harris, Bradley Roby has got to be very enticing. Would need a good OC who can coach 'em up but he'd be a great hire for some of Denver's defensive talent.

denverYooper
01-06-2019, 05:48 PM
Plus, I'm rooting for Fangio to get an HC gig and leave Chicago :satan:

woodbuck27
01-06-2019, 07:37 PM
Tampa is interesting. Lotta talent. Defense is lost. But that offense should score like gangbusters. If you trust the GM to keep finding players, could be interesting.

But apparently not the Cardinals:

"NFL Network's Jim Trotter reports Mike McCarthy is not interested in the Cardinals' head coaching position."

Tampa Bay....nice Temps.

Good for his Irish.

woodbuck27
01-06-2019, 07:41 PM
With apologies to Rastak, I am growing less and less concerned with the Vikings. There is a chance they marry run dominated offense with defense and become terrifying, but Mularkey doesn't scare me. It might help harness Cousins worst tendencies, but as you are going to need to score when teams are concentrating on your run game, I think his ability to be dumb in big spots will surface even more.

https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/06/report-kevin-stefanski-likely-gone-mike-mularkey-the-favorite-to-replace-him/?utm_source=farrar&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=touchdownwire

Mularkey is full of mularkey. :roll:

pbmax
01-07-2019, 07:33 AM
9NEWS Denver Retweeted
Mike Klis
‏Verified account @MikeKlis
1m1 minute ago

Broncos search committee has arrived in Chicago-area where they can observe how Vic Fangio’s Bears defense has so far frustrated the Doug Pederson offense that put up 51 on Denver D last year. #9sports

Fangio with Von Miller, Bradley Chubb, Chris Harris, Bradley Roby has got to be very enticing. Would need a good OC who can coach 'em up but he'd be a great hire for some of Denver's defensive talent.

But I'm used to John Elway disappointing me.

Joemailman
01-07-2019, 08:40 AM
https://www.profootballrumors.com/

[Updated: 1/6/19, 5:00pm CT]

Arizona Cardinals

Jim Caldwell, former head coach (Lions): Interviewed on 1/4
Dan Campbell, assistant head coach/tight ends (Saints): Interviewed on 1/5
Adam Gase, former head coach (Dolphins): Interviewed on 1/2
Kliff Kingsbury, offensive coordinator (USC): Kingsbury could resign from USC to pursue NFL jobs
Zac Taylor, quarterbacks coach (Rams): Interviewed on 1/5
Eric Bieniemy, offensive coordinator (Chiefs): Declined interview request
Mike McCarthy, former head coach (Packers): Not interested in position

Cincinnati Bengals

Eric Bieniemy, offensive coordinator (Chiefs): Interviewed on 1/5
Hue Jackson, special assistant to the head coach (Bengals): Interviewed on 1/2
Vance Joseph, former head coach (Broncos): Interviewed on 1/3-1/4
Bill Lazor, offensive coordinator (Bengals): Interviewed on 1/1
Todd Monken, offensive coordinator (Buccaneers): Interviewed on 1/5
Darren Simmons, special teams coordinator (Bengals): Interviewed on 1/1
Zac Taylor, quarterbacks coach (Rams): Interviewed on 1/4
Shane Waldron, passing game coordinator/tight ends coach (Rams): Interviewed on 1/4
Josh McDaniels, offensive coordinator (Patriots): Declined interview request

Cleveland Browns

Jim Caldwell, former head coach (Lions): Interviewed on 1/2
Dan Campbell, assistant head coach/tight ends (Saints): Interviewed on 1/4
Matt Eberflus, defensive coordinator (Colts): Interviewed on 1/6
Brian Flores, defensive coordinator (Patriots): Interviewed on 1/5
Freddie Kitchens, offensive coordinator (Browns): To be interviewed
Mike McCarthy, former head coach (Packers): To be interviewed
Mike Munchak, offensive line coach (Steelers): Expected to interview
Nick Sirianni, offensive coordinator (Colts): Expected to interview
Kevin Stefanski, offensive coordinator (Vikings): Interviewed on 1/3
Gregg Williams, interim head coach/defensive coordinator (Browns): Interviewed on 1/1

Denver Broncos

Vic Fangio, defensive coordinator (Bears): To be interviewed on 1/7
Brian Flores, defensive coordinator (Patriots): Interviewed on 1/5
Mike Munchak, offensive line coach (Steelers): Interviewed on 1/4
Chuck Pagano, former head coach (Colts): Interviewed on 1/2
Zac Taylor, quarterbacks coach (Rams): Interviewed on 1/4

Green Bay Packers

Jim Caldwell, former head coach (Lions): Interviewed
Dan Campbell, assistant head coach/tight ends (Saints): Interviewed on 1/5
Pete Carmichael, offensive coordinator (Saints): Interviewed on 1/5
Brian Flores, defensive coordinator (Patriots): Interviewed on 1/4
Adam Gase, former head coach (Dolphins): Interviewed on 1/6
Matt LaFleur, offensive coordinator (Titans): Interviewed on 1/6
Josh McDaniels, offensive coordinator (Patriots): Interviewed on 1/4
Todd Monken, offensive coordinator (Buccaneers): Interviewed on 1/5
Mike Munchak, offensive line coach (Steelers): Interview requested
Chuck Pagano, former head coach (Colts): Interviewed
Joe Philbin, interim head coach (Packers): Interviewed on 1/2-1/3
Pat Fitzgerald, head coach (Northwestern): Packers had interest; Fitzgerald declined all NFL opportunities

Miami Dolphins

Dennis Allen, defensive coordinator (Saints): Interviewed on 1/5
Eric Bieniemy, offensive coordinator (Chiefs): Interviewed on 1/3
Vic Fangio, defensive coordinator (Bears): To be interviewed on 1/7
Brian Flores, defensive coordinator (Patriots): Interviewed on 1/4
John Harbaugh, head coach (Ravens): Dolphins considering trade
Mike Munchak, offensive line coach (Steelers): Interview requested
Kris Richard, defensive backs coach (Cowboys): Interviewed on 1/6
Darren Rizzi, assistant head coach/special teams (Dolphins): To be interviewed

New York Jets

Eric Bieniemy, offensive coordinator (Chiefs): Interviewed on 1/2
Jim Caldwell, former head coach (Lions): To be interviewed
Adam Gase, former head coach (Dolphins): Interviewed on 1/4
Kliff Kingsbury, offensive coordinator (USC): Kingsbury could resign from USC to pursue NFL jobs
Mike McCarthy, former head coach (Packers): Interviewed on 1/5
Todd Monken, offensive coordinator (Buccaneers): Interview requested
Matt Rhule, head coach (Baylor): Jets have interest
Matt Campbell, head coach (Iowa State): Declined interview request

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Bruce Arians, former head coach (Cardinals): Interviewed on 1/5; viewed as favorite
Eric Bieniemy, offensive coordinator (Chiefs): Interviewed on 1/2
George Edwards, defensive coordinator (Vikings): Interviewed on 1/3
John Harbaugh, head coach (Ravens): Buccaneers considering trade

Anti-Polar Bear
01-07-2019, 08:41 AM
Tampa Bay....nice Temps.

Good for his Irish.

lol

pbmax
01-07-2019, 09:10 AM
Ian Rapoport @RapSheet

Update on #Bears DC Vic Fangio: The #Dolphins, who requested him and did research, ended up not scheduling an interview with Fangio. So, it’s just the #Broncos for him. Miami, meanwhile, is still slated to interview ST coach Darren Rizzi this week.

pbmax
01-07-2019, 01:10 PM
Analytics:

“If you want to question my playcalling … I’m not questioning it” McCarthy told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel after the game. “I came in here to run the ball. The one statistic I had has as far as a target to hit was 20 rushing attempts in the second half. I thought that would be a very important target to hit for our offense.”

Quote mentioned here: https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/ny-sports-mike-mccarthy-jets-coaching-candidate-20190107-story.html

Story was about Packers loss to the Seahawks. He doesn't know analytics, he knows some numbers in a chart.

Fritz
01-07-2019, 01:15 PM
Analytics:

Quote mentioned here: https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/ny-sports-mike-mccarthy-jets-coaching-candidate-20190107-story.html

Story was about Packers loss to the Seahawks. He doesn't know analytics, he knows some numbers in a chart.

The funny part about that quote, to me, is that McCarthy often pointed to changing game conditions or situations when it came to his team getting out of balance. And at the end of that game, after Starks, I think, gained six yards on first down, he had the chance to run a play-action pass for what likely would have been an easy, easy first down, using a quarterback who'd played a hell of a game and an offensive line that had pass-blocked really well.

So the particular defenses the Seahogs were throwing out there were so heavily run-based that having the best QB in the game should have meant you were in a situation in which you could've passed for a couple of first downs - then after that you could've run out the clock, and it wouldn't have mattered if you got a first down out of it or not. That situation called for first downs more than time off clock.

pbmax
01-07-2019, 01:23 PM
The funny part about that quote, to me, is that McCarthy often pointed to changing game conditions or situations when it came to his team getting out of balance. And at the end of that game, after Starks, I think, gained six yards on first down, he had the chance to run a play-action pass for what likely would have been an easy, easy first down, using a quarterback who'd played a hell of a game and an offensive line that had pass-blocked really well.

So the particular defenses the Seahogs were throwing out there were so heavily run-based that having the best QB in the game should have meant you were in a situation in which you could've passed for a couple of first downs - then after that you could've run out the clock, and it wouldn't have mattered if you got a first down out of it or not. That situation called for first downs more than time off clock.

Just think what the Seachickens were able to do to the Packers Cover 0 blitz in OT. Easy pickings.

red
01-07-2019, 04:43 PM
I'd like to see what McCarthy can do with Mayfield or Darnold.

retard their growth?

turn them into monsters that think they run the show?

Smidgeon
01-08-2019, 04:13 PM
Kliff Kingsbury is the koach of the Kardinals.

I think the Kardinals reached for someone who likely still needs seasoning in the NFL. But time will tell.

esoxx
01-08-2019, 04:27 PM
Kliff Kingsbury is the koach of the Kardinals.

I think the Kardinals reached for someone who likely still needs seasoning in the NFL. But time will tell.

Kingsbury reminds me a lot of Lane Kiffin. I anticipate a spectacular fail in Phoenix.

Rutnstrut
01-08-2019, 05:43 PM
It doesn't sound like stubby is the sought after coach so many thought he would be.

Joemailman
01-08-2019, 05:47 PM
Bucs finalizing deal with Bruce Arians.

Joemailman
01-08-2019, 06:39 PM
Broncos job down to Fangio and Munchak.

Smidgeon
01-08-2019, 09:27 PM
Arizona really reached, and it's really obvious.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/08/cardinals-dump-friend-of-mcvay-reference-from-article-announcing-kingsbury-hire/

pbmax
01-08-2019, 10:08 PM
Schaffer and Demovsky reporting its Jets or bust for McCarthy. He’s not interested in any other job.

pbmax
01-08-2019, 10:09 PM

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/08/cardinals-dump-friend-of-mcvay-reference-from-article-announcing-kingsbury-hire/

That guy will have to work hard to hire staff. Not as many contacts in NFL.

Fritz
01-09-2019, 05:53 AM

There's always one or two organizations that wear the mantle of "buffoon" in the NFL. Looks like Arizona has taken the lead in that department, though Detroit shows a lot of potential with Bob Quinn breaking a branch off the ol' Belichek coaching tree with Matt Patricia.

mraynrand
01-09-2019, 07:30 AM
Schaffer and Demovsky reporting its Jets or bust for McCarthy. He’s not interested in any other job.

Is there any other job?

Stubby has been thoroughly stained by playoffs failures and - Fair or not - the clear perception that Rodgers was responsible for any success the Packers had. Stubbers seems to get zero credit for developing Rodgers, has been raked over the coals for the Hundley debacle, and was held responsible for this year as well despite the sub par play of Rodgers (understandable) and the scuttling of the team. Stubby may have to experience the coach laundering rehabilitation of an OC position somewhere before he's given the reigns again.

mraynrand
01-09-2019, 07:50 AM
I kinda enjoy that Bruce Arians' absolute value being determined to be the difference between a sixth and seventh round pick. It's like the ethereal remainder if you subtracted Malachi Dupre from Kofi Amichia.

Smidgeon
01-09-2019, 08:02 AM
Is there any other job?

Stubby has been thoroughly stained by playoffs failures and - Fair or not - the clear perception that Rodgers was responsible for any success the Packers had. Stubbers seems to get zero credit for developing Rodgers, has been raked over the coals for the Hundley debacle, and was held responsible for this year as well despite the sub par play of Rodgers (understandable) and the scuttling of the team. Stubby may have to experience the coach laundering rehabilitation of an OC position somewhere before he's given the reigns again.

Well, he wasn't interested in Arizona. In hindsight, wise move.

pbmax
01-09-2019, 09:25 AM
Is there any other job?

Maybe not. Have no idea what became of the Cleveland search.

I think the only reason McCarthy hasn't been announced as the Jets coach is the calculation of what the tabloids are going to do. One of the columnists is already campaigning against McCarthy's track record.

Patler
01-09-2019, 10:36 AM

Odd. If I would have had to predict which one job he would have been most interested in, I doubt I would have even considered the Jets.

mraynrand
01-09-2019, 10:43 AM
Odd. If I would have had to predict which one job he would have been most interested in, I doubt I would have even considered the Jets.

Maybe his 'interest' in other jobs went down because they didn't contact him? I just wonder how many teams had scratched him off their list (Cleveland) or never had him on it. (Maybe even the Cleveland guys only mentioned him because they known him personally and didn't want him to look totally unappealing, even though they were never interested?).

Fritz
01-09-2019, 10:54 AM
Maybe not. Have no idea what became of the Cleveland search.

I think the only reason McCarthy hasn't been announced as the Jets coach is the calculation of what the tabloids are going to do. One of the columnists is already campaigning against McCarthy's track record.

What did happen to Cleveland's interest? I haven't been following. Did they express any public interest, or bring him in for an interview?

KYPack
01-09-2019, 11:07 AM
What did happen to Cleveland's interest? I haven't been following. Did they express any public interest, or bring him in for an interview?

I saw a blurb somewhere (so you know this is accurate) that Dorsey is not looking at MM.

pbmax
01-09-2019, 11:14 AM

Me either. I would have said Browns, Cardinals or Bucs.

Patler
01-09-2019, 11:19 AM
Maybe his 'interest' in other jobs went down because they didn't contact him? I just wonder how many teams had scratched him off their list (Cleveland) or never had him on it. (Maybe even the Cleveland guys only mentioned him because they known him personally and didn't want him to look totally unappealing, even though they were never interested?).

Yup, my thoughts exactly. A few years back, I wrote that MM could be on thin ice due to giving away a trip to the SB that was virtually in the barrel, like the Packers did against Seattle, and subsequent playoff losses that were surprising, inexplicable or embarrassing. He had a built in excuse for 2017 with Rodgers out, but he showed no ability to deal with that adversity. If there were doubts about MM when the Cleveland guys were in GB, why would they want to bring him to Cleveland?

MM was an innovative coach who showed creativity and a lot of what you want from a head coach early on; but he lost his way after winning the SB. He may need to reinvent himself to again be a hot commodity.

Patler
01-09-2019, 11:28 AM
Me either. I would have said Browns, Cardinals or Bucs.

My expectation was that he would come out and say he would not pursue jobs this year, but would take the year off to spend with his family. I thought he would take himself out of the discussions this year before they even started.

(I was going to make a sarcastic reference to him wanting to go to MN, and that he would wait for it to open up. Hey, maybe the Jets is just a stop to wait at until it does??)

pbmax
01-09-2019, 11:30 AM
My expectation was that he would come out and say he would not pursue jobs this year, but would take the year off to spend with his family. I thought he would take himself out of the discussions this year before they even started.

(I was going to make a sarcastic reference to him wanting to go to MN, and that he would wait for it to open up. Hey, maybe the Jets is just a stop to wait at until it does??)

If he wanted just to be close to home and stick it to GB, maybe he could be the Vikings OC.

Bossman641
01-09-2019, 11:38 AM
Fangio to the Broncos. Let the Chicago demise commence.

The Shadow
01-09-2019, 11:40 AM

YES!!

Smidgeon
01-09-2019, 12:17 PM
Kitchens to the Browns.

Maybe Bowles to the Bears to replace Fangio.

esoxx
01-09-2019, 12:25 PM

Bob Slowik could be the coordinator and they'd still be a top 5 defense with the talent they have on that side of the ball.

Any demise will have to run through the offense.

Fritz
01-09-2019, 01:59 PM
It's still encouraging.

Break up da Bears!

I am also counting on Mitch Trubisky to continue to be a game-manager type.

Between what they traded away to get him and to get Mack, I wonder what kind of draft picks they have left the next two years.

denverYooper
01-09-2019, 02:36 PM
Bob Slowik could be the coordinator and they'd still be a top 5 defense with the talent they have on that side of the ball.

Any demise will have to run through the offense.

I submit that they will be merely "good", not the cohesive, dominant unit they were in 2018. Comparable is Denver, who still has a ton of talent but fell off after Wade Phillips left. Without dominating defense, they will struggle to keep the division.

Bossman641
01-09-2019, 04:07 PM
Bears were extremely healthy on defense and had an absurd number of turnovers. Not to go all Tex, but there is a certain amount of luck involved in turnovers and they're unlikely force them at the same rate in 2019.

Bossman641
01-09-2019, 04:08 PM
Think the Bears are down a first and second this year. And down a first up a second next year.

pbmax
01-09-2019, 05:32 PM

It'll be interesting to see what OC wants the job of trying to make sense of Elway's moves with the offense.

pbmax
01-09-2019, 05:34 PM
Kitchens to the Browns.

Wow. That guy made a huge career move by Hue Jackson being ineffective. Is Gregg staying?

Smidgeon
01-09-2019, 05:36 PM
Wow. That guy made a huge career move by Hue Jackson being ineffective. Is Gregg staying?

Gregg is out. Apparently.

pbmax
01-09-2019, 05:39 PM
Gregg is out. Apparently.

Might not have worked being passed over. But that defense was playing OK with him.

pbmax
01-09-2019, 05:41 PM
Elway drinks, doesn't he? Like Nixon level drinking alone.

Mike Klis @MikeKlis
Not final yet, but as we've been reporting, Klint Kubiak is receiving strong consideration as QB coach. He is ready. #9sports

pbmax
01-09-2019, 05:44 PM
Ah, that makes sense.

Daryl Ruiter @RuiterWrongFAN
.@LesLevine just reported on @923TheFan #Browns wanted to hire Mike McCarthy as head coach with stipulation Freddie Kitchens remain with team as OC, McCarthy declined.

Being a good QB is like a golden ticket.

mraynrand
01-09-2019, 06:07 PM
Browns wanted to hire Mike McCarthy as head coach with stipulation Freddie Kitchens remain with team as OC, McCarthy declined.

I heard this too. If so, what can one say but "That's how he got named 'Stubby.'"

Joemailman
01-09-2019, 06:56 PM
Kitchens to the Browns.

I think Bowles is expected to go with Arians to Tampa Bay.

Smidgeon
01-09-2019, 07:24 PM
I think Bowles is expected to go with Arians to Tampa Bay.

Yep, Bears wanted him, but he went to Tampa instead.

denverYooper
01-09-2019, 07:39 PM
I heard this too. If so, what can one say but "That's how he got named 'Stubby.'"

Interesting. I wonder if Dorsey wanted M3 to cede offensive design and playcalling to Kitchens and focus on more overall team management.

Bretsky
01-09-2019, 07:44 PM
I think da Bears QB improves his game next year and they are a force

Joemailman
01-09-2019, 08:17 PM
Looks like McCarthy will not be coaching in 2019 as Jets jare set to hire Gase.

Best thing for him in my opinion. Take a year off.

Cheesehead Craig
01-09-2019, 08:18 PM
Looks like MM is going to remain unemployed. I wonder if he'll even get an OC job.

QBME
01-09-2019, 08:28 PM

Yes. This years Coach du Jour is...I know Sean McVay...I spoke with him once...my hair is awesome....flea flicker with a twist...

Rex Ryan, Mike McCarthy, they're all chuckling

Smidgeon
01-09-2019, 09:05 PM
Philbin interviewing for Vikings OL coaching spot.

Joemailman
01-09-2019, 10:02 PM
https://www.profootballrumors.com/chicago-bears-news-rumors
If the Bears do not hire Bowles, in-house secondary coach Ed Donatell could be a consideration. Donatell is out of contract, however, and Biggs hears that he’ll likely leave if he does not get the promotion.

mraynrand
01-09-2019, 10:23 PM
Donaask, Donatell, I always say. Pass the cannoli.

red
01-09-2019, 10:43 PM

yup, very good coach

7 openings (not including us) and no one wanted him

mike sherman v2.0

theres always college fat ass, why don't you go try and underachieve at that level too.

red
01-09-2019, 10:44 PM
Philbin interviewing for Vikings OL coaching spot.

ouch

goes from head coach, to OC to o-line coach in 2 years. not a great career trajectory

pbmax
01-09-2019, 10:45 PM

I respect a man who knows himself that well. No way would that work with him.

pbmax
01-09-2019, 10:55 PM
I think da Bears QB improves his game next year and they are a force

The Bears QB starred as Pubert in Addams Family Values a while back.

https://www.playerprofiler.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Mitchell-Trubisky-advanced-metrics-stats-profile.pnghttps://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/465781110421479424/d1FNSCoY_400x400.jpeg

pbmax
01-09-2019, 10:57 PM
There was nothing wrong with Donnatell that a backbone in Mike Sherman wouldn't have fixed.

pbmax
01-09-2019, 11:44 PM
There are worse ways to construct a coaching staff:

Manish Mehta @MMehtaNYDN
My understanding is that Matt Rhule told the #Jets that he would not agree to a staff that was put together by GM Mike Maccagnan and VP of Player Personnel Brian Heimerdinger.

Again, it is hard to fault Rhule for taking that position.

Anti-Polar Bear
01-10-2019, 04:21 AM
ouch

goes from head coach, to OC to o-line coach in 2 years. not a great career trajectory

Ole Joe was actually OL coach in Indy prior to returning to GB. He enjoys coaching the fat guys.

Anti-Polar Bear
01-10-2019, 04:25 AM
yup, very good coach

7 openings (not including us) and no one wanted him

mike sherman v2.0

theres always college fat ass, why don't you go try and underachieve at that level too.

In defense of McCarthy, Zona reportedly wanted him badly, but he turned them down, as if he was a hot chick turning down a burger-flipping loser.

mraynrand
01-10-2019, 07:48 AM
There was nothing wrong with Donnatell that a backbone in Mike Sherman wouldn't have fixed.

The only honest thing Sherman could have done after firing Ed for 4th and 26 would have been to turn around and fire himself for 4th and 1. Think about it - it would have been epic for Sherman the GM to fire Sherman the coach.

mraynrand
01-10-2019, 07:50 AM
In defense of McCarthy, Zona reportedly wanted him badly, but he turned them down, as if he was a hot chick turning down a burger-flipping loser.

Just remember, the theme is that Stubby is worthless without Rodgers. Can't win without him. And he had nothing to do with his development either. All luck. Plus he is fat.

Teamcheez1
01-10-2019, 07:53 AM
In all honesty, did MM really want a head coaching job this year?
Browns, Jets, Cardinals. I'm not surprised he didn't jump right in to these organizations.

He will coach again if he wants to. I think a year off may work very well for him finding the right job.

pbmax
01-10-2019, 08:39 AM
Just remember, the theme is that Stubby is worthless without Rodgers. Can't win without him. And he had nothing to do with his development either. All luck. Plus he is fat.

In all honesty, did MM really want a head coaching job this year?
Browns, Jets, Cardinals. I'm not surprised he didn't jump right in to these organizations.

He will coach again if he wants to. I think a year off may work very well for him finding the right job.

A lot of worse coaches were hired this offseason. I think he will regroup after a year. Possible he might have to be an OC for a year or two. If he choose to do it, might be the best thing for his offense; to work on it and nothing else for a year or two.

I think he would have taken the Browns jobs given the people there and Mayfield. Messing around with his staff though was a non-starter. I don't understand what was attractive about the Jets. Darnold wasn't Mayfield this year, though he seemed mostly functional. But that team has performed terribly with its current front office.

I liked Rosen in the draft and thought the Cardinals might interest him, but there was never even rumored interest on his part.

The other head scratcher are the Bucs. Winston is a head case but a legit talent. You could do something with those guys and there is a reason Arians was hot for that job. Surprised M3 didn't pipe up about that one either.

So maybe the family thing and travel was in play after all, or some other considerations we just don't know about.

pbmax
01-10-2019, 09:04 AM
I missed that not only is Kubiak's son a QB coach, Kubiak himself is now the OC. This kind of thing just shows how dumb the NFL hiring processes are for some teams.

Aaron Schatz @FO_ASchatz
Gary Kubiak returning as Denver offensive coordinator is another reminder that retirement means nothing for NFL coaches, and also, it's a bit silly. I'm glad Fangio is getting a shot but the guy won a Super Bowl as the HC, why not just make him the HC if he wants to coach again?

mraynrand
01-10-2019, 09:44 AM
A lot of worse coaches were hired this offseason. I think he will regroup after a year. Possible he might have to be an OC for a year or two. If he choose to do it, might be the best thing for his offense; to work on it and nothing else for a year or two.

This makes sense, but it might require a humility injection or something. This is speculation based on coaching personnel, but it sure appears that Stubby adopted the Don Rumsfeld paradigm for failing organizations (As hire Bs, Bs hire Cs, Cs hire Ds, Ds hire Fs until the organization collapses). Either due to hubris or fear, Stubby seemingly got rid of challengers to his assumptions and brought in less talented and/or less threatening people to surround himself with on the offensive side. As you age, being able to re-invent yourself requires the ability to honestly self-evaluate. Sometimes the only way to do that is to bring in a highly talented underling who may surpass you. Bringing back Philbin reminded me of Holmgren sticking with Cromwell and Haskill in Seattle until he just couldn't anymore. There is a point where you just get stale. Not to mention a seemingly "I'm the coach" attitude towards a pretty smart, talented, experienced QB. Oh well, this is now officially bridgewater stuff.

Bossman641
01-10-2019, 10:00 AM
I hope MM takes the year off, spends time with his family, and works on his health. 12 years is a long time to grind as a head coach. He definitely got stale at the end and needs to take some time to regroup and refresh.

George Cumby
01-10-2019, 10:32 AM
I hope MM takes the year off, spends time with his family, and works on his health. 12 years is a long time to grind as a head coach. He definitely got stale at the end and needs to take some time to regroup and refresh.

This.

I'm glad he's gone but bear him no animus for his failures, he had some tremendous success as well.

Smidgeon
01-10-2019, 10:38 AM
The tea leaves are indicating Monken is out as HC candidate in Cincinnati. So he's available for OC interviews. Not mentioned are the Packers. Would that even be a fit or would Monken and LaFleur spend too much time at odds with each other?

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/10/todd-monken-moves-on-to-offensive-coordinator-interviews/

Fritz
01-10-2019, 12:20 PM
Manish Mehta @MMehtaNYDN
My understanding is that Matt Rhule told the #Jets that he would not agree to a staff that was put together by GM Mike Maccagnan and VP of Player Personnel Brian Heimerdinger.

So, having a GM and VP of Player Personnel put together your coaching staff for you would be . . . against the Rhule.

I like the Broncos' hire of Fangio, but am puzzled as to why they went back to Gary Kubiak for OC. That sounds like Elway is trying to work up 2008 again or something. Elway's in the process of gutting that franchise.

After seeing Kase get a gig, and Freddie "Kreuger in the" Kitchens get a gig, and "Push him off the" Kliff Kingsbury get a gig, I am feeling better about ol' Matt the Flower.

As for Philbin looking around for an offensive line job now, at this rate, he'll be interviewing for an assistant coaching gig in the DePere PeeWee League next year.

pbmax
01-10-2019, 09:18 PM
This makes sense, but it might require a humility injection or something. This is speculation based on coaching personnel, but it sure appears that Stubby adopted the Don Rumsfeld paradigm for failing organizations (As hire Bs, Bs hire Cs, Cs hire Ds, Ds hire Fs until the organization collapses). Either due to hubris or fear, Stubby seemingly got rid of challengers to his assumptions and brought in less talented and/or less threatening people to surround himself with on the offensive side. As you age, being able to re-invent yourself requires the ability to honestly self-evaluate. Sometimes the only way to do that is to bring in a highly talented underling who may surpass you. Bringing back Philbin reminded me of Holmgren sticking with Cromwell and Haskill in Seattle until he just couldn't anymore. There is a point where you just get stale. Not to mention a seemingly "I'm the coach" attitude towards a pretty smart, talented, experienced QB. Oh well, this is now officially bridgewater stuff.

I agree and perhaps the agent of change might be not being immediately at the top of the lost for 2 or 3 organizations. The "highly successful coach" should have done better by all rights, and perhaps he is being blamed too much for the last two years.

I hope he just doesn't write it off as the McVay Year.

pbmax
01-10-2019, 09:37 PM
Jason Wilde @jasonjwilde
Ex-#Packers coach Mike Sherman, on his interview advice for Taylor: "Don’t worry about the background check, because when you married my daughter that was already taken care of. I knew everything you’d ever done previous to that marriage and I’ve known everything since then."

Ever see M2 and Robert De Niro in the same place at the same time?

pbmax
01-10-2019, 09:47 PM
Out of the box OC: Jim Caldwell.

Dude has done well with multiple systems. He is actually the guy that the League thinks Adam Gase is.

Bretsky
01-10-2019, 11:28 PM

Dude has done well with multiple systems. He is actually the guy that the League thinks Adam Gase is.

that would be a really good hire

mraynrand
01-10-2019, 11:36 PM
Jason Wilde @jasonjwilde
Ex-#Packers coach Mike Sherman, on his interview advice for Taylor: "Don’t worry about the background check, because when you married my daughter that was already taken care of. I knew everything you’d ever done previous to that marriage and I’ve known everything since then."

Ever see M2 and Robert De Niro in the same place at the same time?

I bet Sherman has a whole file folder just filled with organizational charts outlining the ongoing investigations of his son-in-law. Shermy gets all sorts of things wrong, but it's never for a lack of preparation. He probably has an entire file cabinet stuffed full of perfectly useless wonderfully diagrammed football procedures. I bet he even has a folder titled "Confronting an opposing player who has injured your player"

Smidgeon
01-10-2019, 11:58 PM

Yeah, but are the Packers pursuing him? I think he'd be a plus.

pbmax
01-11-2019, 08:05 AM
Yeah, but are the Packers pursuing him? I think he'd be a plus.

I can't remember if he was the (brief) savior of Joe Flacco or the scapegoat for that offense. I think he got hired and the Ravens had a brief uptick on offense.

He wouldn't help implement your system, but he knows what he is doing. M4 is less likely to let him call plays because of unfamiliarity, but he would be a veteran presence up there.

Smidgeon
01-11-2019, 07:38 PM
Pagano to Bears DC

pbmax
01-11-2019, 09:32 PM
Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter
Assistant shocker: Gary Kubiak will not be Denver’s offensive coordinator, league sources tell ESPN.

After lengthy discussions, Denver and Kubiak had different ideas on staffing and offensive philosophies. Both sides going in different directions.

Good version: Fangio tells Elway he wants to pick his own coaches

Bad version: Elway is arguing with Elway about the coaches he is picking for Fangio

pbmax
01-11-2019, 09:49 PM
Charles Woodson @CharlesWoodson
I 100% and whole heartedly vouch for joe Whitt jr for any team out there needing to fill their staff.. Great teacher, and coach, that players can trust.. hard to find that combo�� @NFL @ESPNNFL @espn @AdamSchefter

texaspackerbacker
01-12-2019, 12:30 AM
Is there any indication the Packers won't keep Whitt? I haven't heard any.

ok, never mind. I see he is gone. Unfortunate move IMO.

Sparkey
01-12-2019, 10:44 AM
Packers interviewing Todd Monken for offensive coordinator

pbmax
01-13-2019, 02:25 PM
@RapSheet
Maybe the most important hire for #AZCardinals coach Kliff Kingsbury is his offensive line coach. And I’m told AZ is signing Sean Kugler as OL coach. Formerly of the #Broncos, he was in demand for the #Bills, #Bucs, #Browns and #Jets.

Joemailman
01-13-2019, 07:32 PM
Packers interviewing Todd Monken for offensive coordinator

Monken going to the Browns.

Vincenzo
01-13-2019, 10:17 PM
Patriots were probably the most impressive in the divisional round as they dominated their opposition like no one else. That doesn’t mean they’ll win the Lombardi Trophy though.

mraynrand
01-13-2019, 10:21 PM

so much for 2019. I'll see you guys in 2020.

Smidgeon
01-14-2019, 12:33 AM
The Browns are going to be scary soon. Lots of good coaches. The bottleneck will be how good Kitchens is as HC.

mraynrand
01-14-2019, 12:39 AM
The Browns are going to be scary soon. Lots of good coaches. The bottleneck will be how good Kitchens is as HC.

They have talent too. Having the #1 overall pick on both offense and defense and a lot of other top picks makes a huge difference. Their situation for a GM/incoming coach was like the 49ers was for hairball, but on steroids.

Fritz
01-14-2019, 05:27 AM
So does LeFleur have ANY assistant coach hires yet?

Is he the nerdy fifth-grade kid who can't get anyone to be on his dodgeball team?

Anti-Polar Bear
01-14-2019, 08:51 AM

Is he the nerdy fifth-grade kid who can't get anyone to be on his dodgeball team?

In this day and age of Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and whatnot, it's surprising that the Packers often wait til everything is set in stone before they make an official announcement. However, per pbmax's twitter account, Pettine has been named defensive coordinator.

Upon reading the news on Twitter, Matt Stafford was like, "Yes! Capers' back!"

pbmax
01-14-2019, 10:24 AM

New hires. Nope. My bet would be that they are waiting to do an official announcement of the coordinators before others are announced. That said, the holdup would appear to be at OC.

Rizzi (Miami) being considered for ST, Karl Dorrell (Jets) for WR, Nathaniel Hackett (Jags) for OC, Chris Shula (Rams assistant LB coach) rumored to be in running.

Returning
Pettine (confirmed)
Montgomery (DL presumed)
Angelico (TE presumed)

One Foot Out the Door
Philbin is interviewing elsewhere.

Gone Daddy Gone
Campen
David Raih is gone
Joe Whitt
Ron Zook

Could be Retained
Jim Hostler
Frank Cignetti
Ben Sirmans (RB)
Jeff Blasko (asst O line)
Patrick Graham (run defense cord, ILB)
Jason Simmons (asst. DB),
Jay Hayes (asst defensive line)
Scott McCurley (D assistant, took over OLBs when Moss was let go)
Ryan Downard (D quality control)
Maurice Drayton (asst ST)

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/packers-coaching-changes-2019-matt-lafleur-mike-mccarthy/2019/1/8/18173943/packers-coaching-staff-tracker-news-and-updates-on-matt-lafleurs-hires

pbmax
01-14-2019, 10:47 AM
Chris B. Brown @smartfootball
Pretty interesting - Monken is one of the rare NFL OCs who coached a pure Air Raid system in college, at Oklahoma State. Baker Mayfield of course played in another Air Raid variant. They can talk about 95 Y-Cross

I was really looking forward to a half dozen Read This Be Smarter threads with 4 comments about the Air Raid. Now I'll just have to sob myself to sleep in my Official Mike Leach Pirate hat.

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/936455054827098112/GUt6WRdK_400x400.jpg

pbmax
01-14-2019, 11:22 AM
Ian Rapoport @RapSheet

#Browns coach Freddie Kitchen says he’ll call plays, but OC Todd Monken decided on Cleveland (over offers from others) “based on people.” And it did sound like Monken thoroughly enjoyed his meeting Sunday.

pbmax
01-14-2019, 12:55 PM
Ben Goessling @GoesslingStrib
From @markcraignfl and me: Mike Priefer will not be returning as the Vikings’ special teams coordinator in 2019.

So Duke Nuke 'Em is available to make your FG kicker ultra-unreliable.

pbmax
01-14-2019, 01:05 PM
Ben Goessling @GoesslingStrib
From @markcraignfl and me: Mike Priefer will not be returning as the Vikings’ special teams coordinator in 2019.

So Duke Nuke 'Em is available to make your FG kicker ultra-unreliable.

Old news. Nuke 'Em has been scooped up.

Tom Pelissero @TomPelissero
· Jan 11, 2019
Mike Priefer tells me he has agreed to join the #Browns as special teams coordinator. The #Vikings offered him a contract. #Lions and #Falcons also interviewed him and several other teams showed interest, but he’s headed to Cleveland and excited.

Fritz
01-14-2019, 01:19 PM
So Cleveland is the hot place to be these days, huh?

Wow.

And still crickets from Packerland regarding an offensive coordinator, a special teams coach, and most other assistants. Sheesh.

pbmax
01-14-2019, 01:34 PM

Wow.

And still crickets from Packerland regarding an offensive coordinator, a special teams coach, and most other assistants. Sheesh.

Tom Rossely may still be available.

mraynrand
01-14-2019, 01:34 PM

Wow.

Simmons could take the ST job if he wants to go that route, unless he's taking over for Whitt. He seemed to be an up and coming guy when I talked to him in 2015.

mraynrand
01-14-2019, 01:44 PM
Tom Rossely may still be available.

I want Bob Schnelker.* Run the WR reverse!

*Aw shit, Cleveland got him first (drafted him) and he' buried there...

pbmax
01-14-2019, 04:42 PM
Mike Munchak is taking the O line job in Denver.

Shaun Sarrett is the O line coach in Pittsburgh.

pbmax
01-14-2019, 04:46 PM
ProFootballTalk @ProFootballTalk
Gary Kubiak and his son get jobs on Vikings staff

I get the motivation of the father, but why do organizations indulge them?

Rastak
01-14-2019, 05:38 PM
Gary Kubiak and his son get jobs on Vikings staff

I get the motivation of the father, but why do organizations indulge them?

Not sure but pretty happy to have Kubiak on the staff.

edit: That's a mighty large carrot to get a guy to join the staff.

pbmax
01-14-2019, 06:27 PM
Not sure but pretty happy to have Kubiak on the staff.

edit: That's a mighty large carrot to get a guy to join the staff.

If he isn't OC, what is his job? And doesn't that make the current OC concerned?

Rastak
01-14-2019, 06:31 PM
If he isn't OC, what is his job? And doesn't that make the current OC concerned?Hard to say PB.....could result in a Norv Turner like storming out as a worst case scenario.....best case is a collaboration ...only reason I have some hope is Kubiak dropped out of the game due to health reasons so may very well not be locked on to moving up up up.

Bretsky
01-14-2019, 06:48 PM
Ian Rapoport @RapSheet

#Browns coach Freddie Kitchen says he’ll call plays, but OC Todd Monken decided on Cleveland (over offers from others) “based on people.” And it did sound like Monken thoroughly enjoyed his meeting Sunday.

Last year Fangio decided on da Bears over GB
This year the Monkey probably picked the Browns over GB

What is next ?

Bretsky
01-14-2019, 06:54 PM

It certainly seems that way. Dan Patrick, and I know it's counter homer to actually give a reporter credibility with his views......noted in regards to the Packers....he didn't think LaFleaur was that deep with experience in the coaching circles to know a ton of stars as assistants and it might be challenging to get the top line ones.....partly because of an inexperienced HC, partly because of questions with Rodgers, and the structure here.

He contantly points out that he might be completely wrong, but he doesn't get our hire.

pbmax
01-14-2019, 06:56 PM

What is next ?

There is a talent level disparity, so its not really a surprise. Gute is unproven save for one season that resulted in the coach getting canned.

However, what makes you think it was Monken who choose first?

Bretsky
01-14-2019, 06:56 PM
Mike Munchak is taking the O line job in Denver.

Shaun Sarrett is the O line coach in Pittsburgh.

MUNCHAK as an OC is a stud hiring....KUDOS to Denver

Bretsky
01-14-2019, 06:57 PM
There is a talent level disparity, so its not really a surprise. Gute is unproven save for one season that resulted in the coach getting canned.

However, what makes you think it was Monken who choose first?

you think we wanted the Jegs retread instead ?

QBME
01-14-2019, 06:58 PM
He contantly points out that he might be completely wrong, but he doesn't get our hire.

Covering all the bases.

pbmax
01-14-2019, 06:58 PM
It certainly seems that way. Dan Patrick, and I know it's counter homer to actually give a reporter credibility with his views......noted in regards to the Packers....he didn't think LaFleaur was that deep with experience in the coaching circles to know a ton of stars as assistants and it might be challenging to get the top line ones.....partly because of an inexperienced HC, partly because of questions with Rodgers, and the structure here.

This could be entirely correct. But outside of his first two picks for OC, who were not allowed to interview, we don't know much about whether he is struggling or not.

He could land the top ST coach available.

This could come crashing down with poor hires for assistants. But I am still more worried that he thinks he has to call plays.

pbmax
01-14-2019, 07:01 PM
you think we wanted the Jegs retread instead ?

Jags were fifth in scoring last year with Jake Jortles as QB. He was doing something right.

Monken got canned too by Arians.

Weren't you moaning about Monken's poor record as an SEC coach?

mraynrand
01-14-2019, 07:47 PM
...Dan Patrick didn't think LaFleaur was that deep with experience in the coaching circles to know a ton of stars as assistants and it might be challenging to get the top line ones.

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/ce/9a/5d/ce9a5dca7ed35eda2b3966b0fd3d8904.jpg

Joemailman
01-14-2019, 07:47 PM

What is next ?

What's next?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-6qsVakh_b1M/VYUMnKmmCiI/AAAAAAAAAjc/bUpYb5WmLQQ/s1600/Cheese%2Band%2BWhine.jpg

Joemailman
01-14-2019, 08:03 PM

He's not the OC. He's the OL coach. Nobody wanted him as OC. Kudos to Denver anyway I guess.

mraynrand
01-14-2019, 08:03 PM
You can't just wave a magic wand and conjure up great coaches!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dw6RJSTWsAUZVOT.jpg

Bretsky
01-14-2019, 08:10 PM
Jags were fifth in scoring last year with Jake Jortles as QB. He was doing something right.

Monken got canned too by Arians.

Weren't you moaning about Monken's poor record as an SEC coach?

I didn't want him as a HC; but he was just as qualified as LaFleau.

Weren't you pimping him ?

Bretsky
01-14-2019, 08:10 PM
He's not the OC. He's the OL coach. Nobody wanted him as OC. Kudos to Denver anyway I guess.

OOPS....I meant as an OL coach
I don't want him as a OC either.

Bretsky
01-14-2019, 08:12 PM
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/ce/9a/5d/ce9a5dca7ed35eda2b3966b0fd3d8904.jpg

Now this was mean spirited :)))) The Dream Team.

Bretsky
01-14-2019, 08:14 PM
This could be entirely correct. But outside of his first two picks for OC, who were not allowed to interview, we don't know much about whether he is struggling or not.

He could land the top ST coach available.

This could come crashing down with poor hires for assistants. But I am still more worried that he thinks he has to call plays.

Agree on that concern

Plus we could get a superstar at OC if he's allowed to call plays. I think that opens up others to be able to interview. Oh well

Smidgeon
01-14-2019, 08:39 PM

What is next ?

He didn't. GB didn't offer.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JimOwczarski/status/1084878573499006976

mraynrand
01-14-2019, 09:05 PM
Now this was mean spirited :)))) The Dream Team.

The point is they weren't proven yet. Other than Jauron and (crap who was the O-line coach?? - Tom Lovat), I think all of them were taking the most advanced positions they'd ever had. (Gruden was riding skateboards before they put him in charge of the electric cart).

pbmax
01-14-2019, 11:47 PM

Joe already repeated the he isn't the OC. But did you like his offenses in Tennessee when he was HC?

21st, 23rd and 19th in points.

pbmax
01-15-2019, 12:13 AM
I didn't want him as a HC; but he was just as qualified as LaFleau.

Weren't you pimping him ?

He's creative and is not tied to the West Coast offense. He is Air Raid by way of training. Would have been a breathe of fresh air in a stale environment, so yes I liked him.

But while his QBs were productive (and intercepted a lot which probably says more about Winston and Fitzpatrick than Monken), his offenses weren't barn burners.

So I don't have a strong feeling whether he or Hackett is a better OC. 5th in points with that Jag attack is kind of astounding.

My only bad feeling here is not the coach, but the offense. Lotta WCO still in the building. We'll see. Would have preferred to see WCO merged with something else. Michael Cohen said Hackett has a mad scientist reputation, so maybe he will get something new on the field.

pbmax
01-15-2019, 12:18 AM
The point is they weren't proven yet. Other than Jauron and (crap who was the O-line coach?? - Tom Lovat), I think all of them were taking the most advanced positions they'd ever had. (Gruden was riding skateboards before they put him in charge of the electric cart).

Jauron was poor as a HC but I don't know who wins with those Bear teams. People loved working and playing for him.

Mooch rode out the 49ers wave OK, but didn't do much in Detroit.

Ray Rhodes restored the Eagle to prominence for a while before the offense came tumbling down. Was also hurt when they lost Gruden.

Gruden has a Super Bowl, so I can't dismiss him. But I would if I could. Completely believe that he has fallen off a cliff. He was Lane Kiffin with slightly better self control.

Reid is a genius.

Anti-Polar Bear
01-15-2019, 12:00 PM
Jauron was poor as a HC but I don't know who wins with those Bear teams. People loved working and playing for him.

Mooch rode out the 49ers wave OK, but didn't do much in Detroit.

Ray Rhodes restored the Eagle to prominence for a while before the offense came tumbling down. Was also hurt when they lost Gruden.

Gruden has a Super Bowl, so I can't dismiss him. But I would if I could. Completely believe that he has fallen off a cliff. He was Lane Kiffin with slightly better self control.

Reid is a genius.

Who is the guy standing between Mooch and Walrus, Jr. (Reid)? He looks like, to be consistent with my so-called shtick, a mongoloid.

Btw, Jauron looks stoic in the pic.

pbmax
01-15-2019, 01:00 PM
I think that is Tom Lovat

mraynrand
01-15-2019, 01:03 PM
I think that is Tom Lovat

Or Demi Lovato. Or Tom Wopat.

pbmax
01-15-2019, 01:22 PM
Or Demi Lovato. Or Tom Wopat.

She must be trending, I keep reading about her more and more. And auto correct lovatos her.

mraynrand
01-15-2019, 01:24 PM
She must be trending, I keep reading about her more and more. And auto correct lovatos her.

Stop bothering me - I'm putting together a PowerPoint on my Mac.

pbmax
01-15-2019, 01:24 PM
Revenge is a dish best served cold. I wonder when the Broncos play the Bengals next.

Report: Broncos interviewing Ed Donatell for defensive coordinator

PFT: https://t.co/7YlFaFur5k

pbmax
01-15-2019, 01:26 PM
Stop bothering me - I'm putting together a PowerPoint on my Mac.

If your supervisor never views the slides, is it a presentation?

mraynrand
01-15-2019, 01:34 PM
If your supervisor never views the slides, is it a presentation?

only if I'm blind. lol

pbmax
01-16-2019, 05:27 PM
Bruce Arians has hired his entire staff.

DC: Todd Bowles
DL: Kacy Rodgers
ILB: Mike Caldwell
OLB: Larry Foote
CB: Kevin Ross
S: Nick Rapone
QC coach: Tim Atkins
assistant: Cody Grimm

OC: Byron Leftwich
run-game coordinator: Harold Goodwin
QBs: Clyde Christensen
RBs: Todd McNair
WRs: Kevin Garver
TEs: Rick Christophel
OL: Joe Gilbert
assistant: Antwaan Randle El
QC coach: John Van Dam

And Bruce Arians' special-teams staff, as announced by Bucs
special teams coordinator: Keith Armstrong
assistant special teams coach: Amos Jones
specialists coach: Chris Boniol

gbgary
01-16-2019, 05:33 PM
^ wow ^ that was quick.

QBME
01-16-2019, 05:33 PM
Bruce Arians has hired his entire staff.

DC: Todd Bowles
DL: Kacy Rodgers
ILB: Mike Caldwell
OLB: Larry Foote
CB: Kevin Ross
S: Nick Rapone
QC coach: Tim Atkins
assistant: Cody Grimm

OC: Byron Leftwich
run-game coordinator: Harold Goodwin
QBs: Clyde Christensen
RBs: Todd McNair
WRs: Kevin Garver
TEs: Rick Christophel
OL: Joe Gilbert
assistant: Antwaan Randle El
QC coach: John Van Dam

And Bruce Arians' special-teams staff, as announced by Bucs
special teams coordinator: Keith Armstrong
assistant special teams coach: Amos Jones
specialists coach: Chris Boniol

Wow - man with a plan, that's quick. Dunno if it will work out (duh), but it has to resonate throughout the organization.

gbgary
01-16-2019, 05:34 PM
donatell's in det now, whitt's in cle now.

Joemailman
01-16-2019, 05:44 PM
donatell's in det now, whitt's in Green Bay East now.

FIFY

Joemailman
01-16-2019, 06:58 PM
Darell Bevell new Lions OC. https://www.profootballrumors.com/2019/01/lions-hire-darrell-bevell-as-oc

Bretsky
01-16-2019, 07:01 PM
Darell Bevell new Lions OC. https://www.profootballrumors.com/2019/01/lions-hire-darrell-bevell-as-oc

Happy for Bevell, who I have always considered a good OC; minus one terrible call he'll always be remembered for

pbmax
01-17-2019, 07:45 PM
Michael Cohen @Michael_Cohen13
Former #Packers assistant Joe Whitt Jr. is heading to Cleveland. Source said he had multiple offers and believed the #Browns were the best fit.

Fritz
01-18-2019, 01:29 PM
Check out this headline in the Detroit Free Press, about Darrell Bevel's hiring:

"Detroit Lions Hiring Darrell Bevell Like Getting Meatloaf for Dinner"

Seriously, that's the headline:

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2019/01/17/detroit-lions-darrell-bevell/2605797002/

I find it interesting that two teams in the division, the Lions and Vikings, went for established OC's from established systems, and two went for the young "hot" offensive coordinator with the supposedly new-fangled offense.

denverYooper
01-18-2019, 01:44 PM
Michael Cohen @Michael_Cohen13
Former #Packers assistant Joe Whitt Jr. is heading to Cleveland. Source said he had multiple offers and believed the #Browns were the best fit.

Anyone get a quote from Damarious Randall?

pbmax
01-18-2019, 03:09 PM
Check out this headline in the Detroit Free Press, about Darrell Bevel's hiring:

"Detroit Lions Hiring Darrell Bevell Like Getting Meatloaf for Dinner"

Seriously, that's the headline:

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2019/01/17/detroit-lions-darrell-bevell/2605797002/

I find it interesting that two teams in the division, the Lions and Vikings, went for established OC's from established systems, and two went for the young "hot" offensive coordinator with the supposedly new-fangled offense.

What is wrong with meatloaf?

pbmax
01-18-2019, 03:11 PM
Sometimes I get to this site, read and respond to the hilarity and then forget to post what I came here to post:

David Newton @DNewtonespn
The Panthers have hired Jim Hostler as their new wide receivers coach. He replaces Lance Taylor. Hostler spent this past season with the Green Bay Packers as their offense/pass game coordinator, but has spent most of his career working with receivers.... https://t.co/IJUSUMV7bH

mraynrand
01-18-2019, 03:22 PM

Paradise by the Dashboard Light. If I ever hear it again, it will be too soon.

pbmax
01-18-2019, 03:37 PM
Paradise by the Dashboard Light. If I ever hear it again, it will be too soon.

How often do you hear it now? I think I hear it once a year and I swear it got regular airplay in Wisconsin longer than anywhere else.

MadScientist
01-18-2019, 03:45 PM
Meatloaf for dinner again:
https://i.stack.imgur.com/U0hRY.jpg

Fritz
01-18-2019, 06:16 PM

Bland, predictable.

Funny, though, the article said meatloaf might be just fine in Detroit. Or, as one fan tweeted, "The move is . . . not terrible?"

pbmax
01-18-2019, 06:29 PM
Bland, predictable.

Funny, though, the article said meatloaf might be just fine in Detroit. Or, as one fan tweeted, "The move is . . . not terrible?"

I object to the entire metaphor. :D

You can get a lot of things done on meatloaf.

George Cumby
01-19-2019, 10:24 AM
Made meatloaf for dinner a few nights ago. Tasted good, but didn't look that great, fell apart when I took it out of the loaf pan. I feel like there's a metaphor there......

mraynrand
01-19-2019, 10:31 AM
Made meatloaf for dinner a few nights ago. Tasted good, but didn't look that great, fell apart when I took it out of the loaf pan. I feel like there's a metaphor there......

I use half a cup of this in my meatloaf - it holds together pretty well and comes in different shades to match the meat you use:

https://proxy.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmobileimages.lowes.com%2Fproduct% 2Fconverted%2F070798%2F070798184169.jpg&f=1

esoxx
01-19-2019, 12:45 PM
I use half a cup of this in my meatloaf - it holds together pretty well and comes in different shades to match the meat you use:

https://proxy.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmobileimages.lowes.com%2Fproduct% 2Fconverted%2F070798%2F070798184169.jpg&f=1

I really don't think that's edible though.

You're probably not using enough bread in your recipe and you might want to bake at a higher temp but shorter time.

pbmax
01-19-2019, 02:23 PM

How could you screw it up :lol:

You can even make turkey loaf palatable.

Fritz
01-19-2019, 03:37 PM
I object to the entire metaphor. :D

You can get a lot of things done on meatloaf.

Don't let your meat loaf.

pbmax
01-19-2019, 04:17 PM
The #Cardinals are hiring Tom Clements as passing game coordinator/quarterbacks coach, source said. Longtime NFL assistant gets his next project in Josh Rosen.

I am rooting for this kid. Not just for Clements, but also to prove the Alonzo Highsmith school of scouting (rumor mongering) to be full of manure.

mraynrand
01-19-2019, 07:10 PM
I am rooting for this kid. Not just for Clements, but also to prove the Alonzo Highsmith school of scouting (rumor mongering) to be full of manure.

I've been doing independent research all over the country on this technique, listening in on collegiate female volleyball team conversations at airports. Amazingly, I've only been arrested twice.

What was the other theory - that kids coming from homes with two car garages can't be QBs or something?

pbmax
01-19-2019, 09:58 PM
I've been doing independent research all over the country on this technique, listening in on collegiate female volleyball team conversations at airports. Amazingly, I've only been arrested twice.

What was the other theory - that kids coming from homes with two car garages can't be QBs or something?

Good luck evading conviction.

I think wealthy families was an anonymous scout contribution. In other words, could have been Alonzo!

Pugger
01-20-2019, 08:03 AM
Happy for Bevell, who I have always considered a good OC; minus one terrible call he'll always be remembered for

If you listened to seachicken fans they were calling for Bevell's head regularly.

Pugger
01-20-2019, 08:06 AM
Sometimes I get to this site, read and respond to the hilarity and then forget to post what I came here to post:

David Newton @DNewtonespn
The Panthers have hired Jim Hostler as their new wide receivers coach. He replaces Lance Taylor. Hostler spent this past season with the Green Bay Packers as their offense/pass game coordinator, but has spent most of his career working with receivers.... https://t.co/IJUSUMV7bH

Seeing how lousy our passing game was it will be interesting to see if he succeeds in Charlotte. If he does then we'll have further proof Stubby's offense became a mess.

Pugger
01-20-2019, 08:07 AM
How often do you hear it now? I think I hear it once a year and I swear it got regular airplay in Wisconsin longer than anywhere else.

Perhaps on Sirius' 70s on 7?

Pugger
01-20-2019, 08:09 AM
The #Cardinals are hiring Tom Clements as passing game coordinator/quarterbacks coach, source said. Longtime NFL assistant gets his next project in Josh Rosen.

Too bad MLF didn't pursue Clements. IMO he was the guy who made Rodgers a HOF QB.

Joemailman
01-20-2019, 08:43 AM
Any word on whether LaFleur is going to have passing game and running game coordinators? That's in vogue now, but haven't heard anything.

Joemailman
01-20-2019, 08:47 AM
Seeing how lousy our passing game was it will be interesting to see if he succeeds in Charlotte. If he does then we'll have further proof Stubby's offense became a mess.

I was thinking about this in regards to McCarthy's future. If the Packers have considerably more offensive success next year with mostly the same players, will he be seen by teams as a coach unable to keep up with the changes in the game? And therefore not hired?

pbmax
01-20-2019, 10:02 AM
I was thinking about this in regards to McCarthy's future. If the Packers have considerably more offensive success next year with mostly the same players, will he be seen by teams as a coach unable to keep up with the changes in the game? And therefore not hired?

Its literally never stopped retreads before.

mraynrand
01-20-2019, 11:44 AM
What's the authority hierarchy between O-line coach, Passing Offense Co-ordinator, and Rushing Offense Co-ordinator? Do they duke it out for equal time instructing the linemen on co-ordinating the various blocking schemes for particular plays? Does Rodgers have to attend all those meetings or does he just show up and assume he can hold the ball and dance around for 6 seconds between all that co-ordinated blocking?

pbmax
01-20-2019, 11:47 AM
What's the authority hierarchy between O-line coach, Passing Offense Co-ordinator, and Rushing Offense Co-ordinator? Do they duke it out for equal time instructing the linemen on co-ordinating the various blocking schemes for particular plays? Does Rodgers have to attend all those meetings or does he just show up and assume he can hold the ball and dance around for 6 seconds between all that co-ordinated blocking?

Great question. The duties as I recall come down to: classroom instruction, classroom playbook install, classroom film breakdown, on field drills, game planning, assessment of game tape, assessment of practice tape.

My guess is that the coordinators get game planning, share in game film breakdown and get some time in the classroom install and breakdown.

pbmax
01-21-2019, 08:45 AM
Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter
Dolphins plan to hire Packers’ run game coordinator/inside linebackers coach Patrick Graham as their defensive coordinator, per source. Dolphins’ hiring cycle is frozen due to Patriots’ LB coach Brian Flores preparing for Super Bowl LIII.

texaspackerbacker
01-21-2019, 10:39 AM

True. He probably shoulda lowered his standards and taken a position this year if in fact any were offered.

Fritz
01-21-2019, 11:02 AM
True. He probably shoulda lowered his standards and taken a position this year if in fact any were offered.

Instead of trickery and scheming to outduel the other candidates and get a head-coaching job in the future, he shoulda just beat the other candidates straight up. Win your matchup, McCarthy.

mraynrand
01-21-2019, 11:09 AM
Instead of trickery and scheming to outduel the other candidates and get a head-coaching job in the future, he shoulda just beat the other candidates straight up. Win your matchup, McCarthy.

He tanked this year to get a higher draft position next year

run pMc
01-21-2019, 05:35 PM

Depends on the narrative du jour and how the Packers actually look next year. M3 was getting paid either way, he can afford to sit out and have his pick of jobs next year too, or get into broadcasting.
I do think the "things were getting stale" narrative holds some water, and while the roster talent needs improving they underperformed this year.

mraynrand
01-21-2019, 05:39 PM
Depends on the narrative du jour and how the Packers actually look next year. M3 was getting paid either way, he can afford to sit out and have his pick of jobs next year too, or get into broadcasting.
I do think the "things were getting stale" narrative holds some water, and while the roster talent needs improving they underperformed this year.

I think the Packers played right at their talent level this year

pbmax
01-21-2019, 06:15 PM
I think the Packers played right at their talent level this year

Assuming players remain injured (APRI).

Bretsky
01-21-2019, 06:51 PM
Too bad MLF didn't pursue Clements. .

THIS

mraynrand
01-21-2019, 10:41 PM
Assuming players remain injured (APRI).

Absolutely. The players the Packers shut down have some talent. Enough that, with one or two well-targeted FAs, and a decent draft with 2 starters and some role players, the Packers could make a dramatic reversal next year. Maybe even enough to make the playoffs. APRH.

call_me_ishmael
01-22-2019, 12:11 AM

No, I don't think so. He's in a shockingly similar situation to Andy Reid (age, tenure, org type, speciality, reputation, championship appearances, etc), and I think he'll have a similar outcome if he gets with the right org. A big difference in my eyes is MM by all accounts has a great home life and prioritizes that. Many felt Reid started coaching immediately the next year without a quality QB because he was running away from his son's suicide.

Part of me thinks the reason Reid innovated so much in KC is because of his lack of QB. I happen to like Alex Smith, but let's be real, nobody is winning a championship with Alex freakin' Smith unless the D is historically great.

I just think MM is being choosey. Rightfully so. Any offensive specialist taking on an HC job without a QB will probably be unemployed or doing something different in 3 years given how insanely short the NFL leash is. Circling back to the home life and even his upbringing (conjecture on my part), it's not hard to imagine MM wants to plan on another 10+ year job, not hop around and settle in as a journeymen OC or something if he washes out at the next HC gig.

pbmax
01-22-2019, 12:24 AM
We have to keep in mind that the Packer offensive catastrophe led them to be middle of the League. They were 8th this year in Offensive DVOA I believe.

The ongoing ST and Defensive catastrophes have lead them to the bottom 1/3 of the League for multiple years.

pbmax
01-22-2019, 03:18 PM
Packer Report @PackerReport
John Bonamego has been hired as Detroit's special-teams coordinator. He held that job here from 2003 through 2005. Obviously it's still a vacancy for Green Bay.

$#&*%#@!!!

Bretsky
01-22-2019, 07:22 PM
Packer Report @PackerReport
John Bonamego has been hired as Detroit's special-teams coordinator. He held that job here from 2003 through 2005. Obviously it's still a vacancy for Green Bay.

$#&*%#@!!!

And than there was one

pbmax
01-24-2019, 09:50 AM
There isn't any part of this that is outlandish. Except the fascination with #1 picks. Accumulating them rather than using them (or getting them earlier in the round) was the downfall of the process. You have to harvest some talent with the seeds in the collection.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DxrxbFaUwAE9bjD.jpg

mraynrand
01-24-2019, 09:57 AM
"No uncoordinated leaks" - treachery should be choreographed.

"DO NOT SILO" - not sure what this means exactly, but I'm sure it means something different to Travis Henry.

pbmax
01-24-2019, 10:24 AM
"No uncoordinated leaks" - treachery should be choreographed.

"DO NOT SILO" - not sure what this means exactly, but I'm sure it means something different to Travis Henry.

Silo is corporate speak for a hierarchical organization that has departments that are self contained and only take input or give output at the lowest and highest levels. Its one way to explain how one hand doesn't know what the other is doing. Also explains why organizations that have already solved a problem or been alerted to another do not share that information.

What you actually need to know is that companies that spend the most time talking about silos are usually the ones building them the fastest.

Murphy made mention of this effect when he acknowledged there were disagreements between player personnel and coaches, ie. they were silos. So Murphy did what most Corp execs do, insert himself at the top of the silos.

mraynrand
01-24-2019, 10:55 AM
Silo: I see. Disagreements like you describe only get solved by involving a higher-up who has proven success and therefore commands respect. Specifically, if you have scouts or pro personnel disagreeing with coaches on a particular player to fill roster hole, the GM steps in and says "wait, I know who the right guys is to fill that hole and it's this guy, whether only one party or neither agree with me" They all shut up and go with it because the guy has most always been right, and is in charge. Thus, the terrible problem if Murphy is going to try and resolve disagreements between coach and GM. He has to give the GM full power to resolve player acquisition/roster disagreements. Maybe the franchise QB is the only exception, but it has to be that narrow or I don't think it will work.

pbmax
01-24-2019, 11:10 AM
Silo: I see. Disagreements like you describe only get solved by involving a higher-up who has proven success and therefore commands respect. Specifically, if you have scouts or pro personnel disagreeing with coaches on a particular player to fill roster hole, the GM steps in and says "wait, I know who the right guys is to fill that hole and it's this guy, whether only one party or neither agree with me" They all shut up and go with it because the guy has most always been right, and is in charge. Thus, the terrible problem if Murphy is going to try and resolve disagreements between coach and GM. He has to give the GM full power to resolve player acquisition/roster disagreements. Maybe the franchise QB is the only exception, but it has to be that narrow or I don't think it will work.

That is the problem with sitting atop silos. The decision maker might make good decisions, but its normally based on priors that might have little to do with actual measures of success. And I am sure no one here would be surprised that decision makers always remember all their successes, but only one or two failures.

Its like saying the last FA signing for modestly more than we wished to value the player at worked just fine. Let's do it again. Or we'll keep 7 TEs and RBs because that has worked before.

Murphy might have a feel for the details. But nothing in his background suggests he does. Which is why, if coaches and personnel remain apart, I'd rather have a GM making the decisions.

Ideally, those two silos work together to come up with the important metrics or assessments and diligently fill that information in with tape and reports and scouting. When the time comes, most of the decision has been made.

pbmax
01-24-2019, 12:22 PM

See, this is the guy who cannot be tasked to sit atop the silos. You have to work around him to function and that's not good for anyone.

“[T]he team had soured on Bridgewater after his interview dinner and workout with team brass,” Seth Wickersham of ESPN.com writes in a comprehensive look at years of dysfunction under Haslam’s watch in Cleveland. “[S]omething about Bridgewater’s handshake rubbed Haslam the wrong way, he told team executives.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/24/handshake-helped-jimmy-haslam-sour-on-teddy-bridgewater/

pbmax
01-24-2019, 12:40 PM
As the Twitter account for Dick Nixon would say: My God.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25797430/inside-cleveland-browns-front-office-where-hope-history-collide

Bonus Mike Pettine mention as "underwhelming hire" after a largely fruitless start to the search.

This one has nothing to do with Haslam, but is a lot of fun to imagine.

One of the marketing staffers entered a search for #dp -- for Dawg Pound. The problem was, that hashtag carried a few different meanings, one of which triggered an array of porn to be broadcast onto a wall for the entire office to see for more than 20 minutes, until a tech employee killed the feed.

This judgement has gone from possibly true, to undeniably false, to possibly true in record time. And Eagles fans have been there every step of the way:

but also earning ridicule for passing on Carson Wentz, whom DePodesta didn't consider a franchise quarterback.

mraynrand
01-24-2019, 01:02 PM
One of the marketing staffers entered a search for #dp -- for Dawg Pound. The problem was, that hashtag carried a few different meanings, one of which triggered an array of porn to be broadcast onto a wall for the entire office to see for more than 20 minutes, until a tech employee killed the feed..

Yep...yep...we're trying to get that off the display...might take some time...can't figure it out...yep...really struggling here...might take ten, fifteeen more minutes to shut the browser down...just a second, just a second....

Fritz
01-26-2019, 11:01 AM
If you had two really, really excellent linemen, you could get double penetration pretty often.

texaspackerbacker
01-26-2019, 11:25 AM
Yeah, one to plug the front and the other to take 'em from behind - is that what you had in mind?

pbmax
01-26-2019, 01:07 PM
The former WCO.

https://www.si.com/vault/1982/02/01/540947/xd-od-and-kod

The funny thing is that Walsh had to be convinced to go to more 3 WR sets by Holmgren and Shanahan. Everyone gets stuck in the past eventually.

pbmax
01-27-2019, 10:25 AM
Marty Schottenheimer might have jinxed the entire AFC East with this quote:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dx7K1M2V4AAq9pC.jpg:large

Also keep in mind that Theismann, whatever his shortcomings, might simply be smarter than "film eater" Ron Jaworski.

pbmax
01-27-2019, 07:57 PM
Bret Bielema failing upward.

SNF on NBC @SNFonNBC
Bret Bielema reportedly expects to become the next @Patriots defensive coordinator. #NFL http://bit.ly/2sMGyM1

Fritz
01-29-2019, 11:41 AM
I wonder if Matt Patricia is sad to learn that he was not absolutely crucial to the Patriots' success.

pbmax
02-01-2019, 07:50 AM
Matt Patricia might be sleeping too much.

Evan Lazar @ezlazar
McDaniels said the #Patriots have a room at the stadium for coaches to sleep with float tanks that simulate 4-5 hours of sleep in 40 minutes.

BUM CHILLUPS @edsbs
Football coaches will believe anything positive you tell them about sleeping less

BUM CHILLUPS @edsbs
Sleep deprivation does things like making you draft Tim Tebow with a number one pick

pbmax
02-02-2019, 04:44 PM
Ian Rapoport @RapSheet
The #Bills have hired Ken Dorsey as quarterbacks coach and named Chad Hall wide receivers coach. Dorsey had been QB coach for the #Panthers a few seasons ago.

Anti-Polar Bear
02-12-2019, 03:18 AM
The Browns have signed Kareem Hunt, while Kap remains unsigned. Dorsey is one arrogant motherfucker.

Suffice it to say, the greed-fucked fishmonger owners would rather rapists, murderers and domestic abusers represent the Shield than the Champion of the Downtrodden, whose only sin was kneeling to shed light on the maladies of this fishy society. :x

texaspackerbacker
02-12-2019, 09:53 AM
You don't think it has something to do with Hunt being a better football player than Kaepernick? He certainly performed better. I'm thinking the signing will be a waste, and Hunt will go the way of Ray Rice, but in case he does still play, signing him was a chance worth taking for the Browns.

pbmax
02-12-2019, 11:45 AM
You don't think it has something to do with Hunt being a better football player than Kaepernick? He certainly performed better. I'm thinking the signing will be a waste, and Hunt will go the way of Ray Rice, but in case he does still play, signing him was a chance worth taking for the Browns.

How did the Chiefs do after they lost Hunt?

QBs count for so much more. NFL just afraid of Tweets and news.

texaspackerbacker
02-12-2019, 02:21 PM
How did the Chiefs do after they lost Hunt?

QBs count for so much more. NFL just afraid of Tweets and news.

Not as good as when they had him I think. True about QBs, but it doesn't hurt to have a great RB too.

What is the meaning of your last line? If those things were that big a deal, they would have disallowed signing Hunt. Or are you saying an America-hating piece of crap is worse than a wife or gf beating slime ball? It's kinda six of one and half a dozen of the other when it comes to "Tweets and news".

pbmax
02-12-2019, 04:27 PM
Not as good as when they had him I think. True about QBs, but it doesn't hurt to have a great RB too.

What is the meaning of your last line? If those things were that big a deal, they would have disallowed signing Hunt. Or are you saying an America-hating piece of crap is worse than a wife or gf beating slime ball? It's kinda six of one and half a dozen of the other when it comes to "Tweets and news".

Chiefs looked like the same team without him.

NFL was afraid that the automatic publicity of Kaepernick returning would be detrimental. That it would drown out more positive types of coverage. The President would probably get involved too. They just want it to go away. Eric Reid is one thing, CK at the QB position is another.

pbmax
02-15-2019, 11:33 AM
Former Packer run game coordinator Patrick Graham talking to media about how to build the multiple defense from whatever it is in Miami now.

Will the Packers miss this guy? Seems like he gets it.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/112871176-132.html

pbmax
02-17-2019, 09:29 AM
Everyone is following this guy, right?

https://twitter.com/CoachPaulAlex/status/1096911101529341952

Joemailman
02-17-2019, 09:33 AM
Dolphins hire Reggie McKenzie as senior personnel executive.

pbmax
02-17-2019, 09:46 AM
Dolphins hire Reggie McKenzie as senior personnel executive.

Who is their GM now? Chris Grier apparently.

Tannenbaum is still hanging around after being kicked out of the GM seat but not given new duties.

Kind of a mess.

MadScientist
02-22-2019, 12:39 PM
Patriots owner Bob Kraft arrested for soliciting a prostitute in a day spa in Florida. So will the NFL give him a slap on the wrist or a stern "please don't do that again"?

He's ugly enough that I can see why he needs to pay for sex.

pbmax
02-22-2019, 04:33 PM
Patriots owner Bob Kraft arrested for soliciting a prostitute in a day spa in Florida. So will the NFL give him a slap on the wrist or a stern "please don't do that again"?

He's ugly enough that I can see why he needs to pay for sex.

MadSci, cmon. He’s so wealthy and successful he could land whatever he wanted. Look at Henry Kissinger for Pete’s sake.

He wanted something on the side, little dirty, walk on the wild side. No telling what he asked for. In fact, now I am going to stop thinking about this.

Joemailman
02-22-2019, 05:32 PM

Not on the wrist.

https://i.chzbgr.com/full/1748233472/h886E1CE2/

Joemailman
03-24-2019, 08:08 PM
Gronk retires. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001024012/article/patriots-te-rob-gronkowski-announces-retirement

Teamcheez1
03-24-2019, 08:11 PM
Gronk retires. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001024012/article/patriots-te-rob-gronkowski-announces-retirement

I always though Gronk was a big goof until I saw a story that he lived off of his endorsement money and invested/banked his entire salary. I realized the guy was pretty smart.

pbmax
03-25-2019, 08:54 AM
Gronk deserves a retirement.

Peter King @peter_king
Career yards per catch:
Rob Gronkowski 15.1
Jerry Rice 14.8
Tyreek Hill 14.6

call_me_ishmael
03-25-2019, 11:09 AM
Is he the best tight end of all-time? I would argue he probably wasn't as dynamic of a pass catcher as Gonzalez but he was thicc AF and tremendous at blocking and staying upright through contact.

pbmax
03-25-2019, 12:10 PM
Is he the best tight end of all-time? I would argue he probably wasn't as dynamic of a pass catcher as Gonzalez but he was thicc AF and tremendous at blocking and staying upright through contact.

Gonzalez average 11.4 yards per catch. 4 yards behind Gronk.

Patler
03-25-2019, 02:44 PM

Nope. John Mackey was.

run pMc
04-22-2019, 10:05 PM
Matthew Stafford's wife has a good prognosis after 12 hours of brain surgery, and is recovering at home.
https://sports.yahoo.com/kelly-stafford-matthew-detroit-lions-brain-tumor-easter-015954087.html

run pMc
04-22-2019, 10:07 PM
Nope. John Mackey was.

You could make a pretty good argument with Mackey. Gronk was very very good, but i wouldn't say he was the GOAT at TE.

Harlan Huckleby
04-23-2019, 10:36 AM
If I were a GM, and I sorta am, I'd take Jason Witten. He wasn't most talented, but he helped his team win so many different ways. And you get to love him long time.

pbmax
04-23-2019, 11:32 AM
Matthew Stafford's wife has a good prognosis after 12 hours of brain surgery, and is recovering at home.
https://sports.yahoo.com/kelly-stafford-matthew-detroit-lions-brain-tumor-easter-015954087.html

Ford Field is tough on the home team.

pbmax
04-26-2019, 03:59 PM
Joe Buscaglia @JoeBuscaglia
Just found out, as part of the new training facility, the #Bills have their own hot yoga studio and an instructor that they hire to come in. Well then.

@MikeTanier
Well, now we know the first thing the next coach will get rid of to "change the culture. "

mraynrand
04-26-2019, 04:04 PM
Joe Buscaglia @JoeBuscaglia
Just found out, as part of the new training facility, the #Bills have their own hot yoga studio and an instructor that they hire to come in. Well then.

@MikeTanier
Well, now we know the first thing the next coach will get rid of to "change the culture. "

Is it a hot studio or a hot instructor? Asking for a friend.

mraynrand
05-04-2019, 10:10 AM
Janikowski is retiring. So Brady is the final active player remaining who played in the last millennium (2000 is officially the final year of the previous millennium).