PDA

View Full Version : M.A.R.G A. ---MARGA....the MAIN TRAIT OUR NEW COACH MUST HAVE.......Who fits that bill ??

Bretsky
01-04-2019, 10:23 PM
It's not rocket science as to why GB has had so much success in over the past 20 or so years.
That is what we need to find again. You know the old saying....you throw enough crap against the wall and something will stick. The crap is the playoffs, and we've had two of the best QB's in the history in the NFL and we're only stuck 2 Super Bowls.

But first we need to make the DAM playoffs again....something we're failed at 2 years in a row

And the Packer recipe for making the playoffs.....and why we've been getting to the playoffs over and over when we rarely have elite talent......was by having an elite QB who is good enough to get us there and then hoping to hell the chips fall our way once there. Normally AROD's greatness got us there....somehow....but ThanksTed put average talent around him so we'd normally get bounced.

We can't even talk Super Bowl again til we start getting back to the playoffs again.

SO WHAT IS THE CAPTAIN OBVIOUS TRAIT ANY NEW COACH IN GREEN BAY MUST HAVE ???

ANYBODY WANNA TAKE A SHOT AT WHAT M.A.R.G.A. means ????

Bretsky
01-04-2019, 10:26 PM
Make

Aaron

Rodgers

Great

Again

Bretsky
01-04-2019, 10:27 PM
And that is the key to GB hiring the right coach.

So I ask you again rats......which candidates have a chance...to...……………

MARGA ????

Anti-Polar Bear
01-04-2019, 11:46 PM
J-Mac.

texaspackerbacker
01-04-2019, 11:49 PM
First of all, Aaron Rodgers never stopped being great - make that GOAT. Secondly, though, to the extent that the whiners and ingrates and detractors have any case at all i.e. the false premise - IMO - that the problem is something other than mediocre talent around him, what is needed is merely a low-ego coach who will not rock the boat/just let Aaron be Aaron, and forget the foolishness of trying to rein him in or change him.

As for which ones fit that description and which ones don't, I really can't identify any obvious ones either way - although I really hate the idea of Harbaugh.

The question I want to see asked and answered is, who is the best pass-first, throw-it-down-the-field kind of guy? Another pertinent question is who will bring in the best O Line coach, as the shittiness of the O Line just might be more a matter of coaching than personnel.

Anti-Polar Bear
01-04-2019, 11:49 PM
Or Mike Martz since Rodgers is already a Martzist.

texaspackerbacker
01-05-2019, 12:01 AM
Or Mike Martz since Rodgers is already a Martzist.

I wouldn't mind him or at least a disciple of him - the guy is damn near as old as me.

APB, you ain't half bad when you preach Martzism instead of that other similar word you love so much hahahahaha.

Kliff Kingsbury might be the guy.

Bretsky
01-05-2019, 12:41 AM
First of all, Aaron Rodgers never stopped being great - make that GOAT. Secondly, though, to the extent that the whiners and ingrates and detractors have any case at all i.e. the false premise - IMO - that the problem is something other than mediocre talent around him, what is needed is merely a low-ego coach who will not rock the boat/just let Aaron be Aaron, and forget the foolishness of trying to rein him in or change him.

As for which ones fit that description and which ones don't, I really can't identify any obvious ones either way - although I really hate the idea of Harbaugh.

The question I want to see asked and answered is, who is the best pass-first, throw-it-down-the-field kind of guy? Another pertinent question is who will bring in the best O Line coach, as the shittiness of the O Line just might be more a matter of coaching than personnel.

Rodgers was not remotedly great this year. He was greatly inconsistent. He still has great talent. But he was not great. He clearly lost the positive communication he once had with MM. He clearly did not feel like the offensive coordinator was being innovative and creative. He clearly did not buy in. We need all of that.

If you WANT the best OL coach, that is an ez one Tex. You want Mike Munchak to be hired.

pbmax
01-05-2019, 08:50 AM
Martz hasn't had good results in a long time. And he gets his QBs knocked around.

woodbuck27
01-05-2019, 09:02 AM
Martz hasn't had good results in a long time. And he gets his QBs knocked around.

IUs Aaron Rodgers attitude goiung to,impeded getting the very best candidaye pbmax?

This stuff we're reading and calling off plays from MM is disturbing....if the TRUTH.

It appears the NFL is sprinkled with prima Donna STAR Performers and Larger than life EGO's. There are two of thoose who's rights belong to the Pittsburgh Steelers.

I would love to see one of them 'all thje same' wearing Packer Colours.

sweet !

Pugger
01-05-2019, 09:43 AM
I don't believe Aaron's attitude is as bad as so many here and elsewhere are suggesting.

beveaux1
01-05-2019, 01:33 PM
I don't believe Aaron's attitude is as bad as so many here and elsewhere are suggesting.

I have no reason to believe this either. I do feel that he had a poor season by his standards, but the question is...why? All of us have seen gifs with Rodgers going back to pass, having an open receiver, usually located over the middle in a short zone, he doesn't throw to that receiver but holds the ball and throws inaccurately and deep or throws it away on the sidelines or takes a sack. We immediately point to Rodgers and say that he missed that receiver and wanted to throw deep because of his ego or MMs ego or because he hates MM and wanted him fired. I'll propose an alternate scenario. Perhaps that receiver that was open over the middle was not a receiver that was on Rodgers' list of reads. Maybe that receivers' purpose was to clear a zone of a safety or LB. If there are 6 receivers out on one play, all of them can't be a read because there would not be enough time to scan for each of them. I'd guess that at least two are there to move defenders so there would be lanes to throw to the receivers that are reads on the route.

If Adams were double-teamed and some of the younger, less experienced receivers are reads on the route and they zig when they were supposed to zag, or they just didn't get open, the result of the play would look like it was a Rodgers issue or an MM issue, when, in fact, it was an experience issue. We all know that Adams had one of the greatest seasons by a WR in GB history. The QB had to be getting him the ball with some degree of accuracy and efficiency when he was open. Why did we rarely see that with anybody other than Adams. My eyes could tell me that Graham was much slower than he had been when playing on the Saints, but for long stretches of the season, the rookies disappeared. Why? My mind tells me it was because they weren't open or they weren't in the right place on a bang-bang 2.5 second to get it out pass.

This season looked an awful lot like 2015, when we lost Nelson and our offense just couldn't produce. We blamed Rodgers. I know I did, because I expected that the all world QB made the WRs. I was wrong then. This is a team effort. The WRs make the QB better and I expect the QB makes the WRs better. Look at it like this, if Rodgers is the engine, the WRs are the fuel. If we run some form of the west coast offense, we need better fuel to run our engine. I don't believe the engine is broken. At least I really hope not.

pbmax
01-05-2019, 01:52 PM
IUs Aaron Rodgers attitude goiung to,impeded getting the very best candidaye pbmax?

I am not aware of any coach turning down the Packers opportunity, so I think this is an argument in search of an extremely qualified candidate.

Zac Taylor is interviewing and he has not been reported to have turned down the opportunity. If the Packers reached out to him, it hasn't been reported.

Fitzgerald and Riley are each staying in college (Northwestern and Oklahoma), not interviewing for any of the multiple Pro openings.

Who has been so afraid of Rodgers that they won't consider the job?

Anti-Polar Bear
01-06-2019, 12:46 AM
I wouldn't mind him or at least a disciple of him - the guy is damn near as old as me.

APB, you ain't half bad when you preach Martzism instead of that other similar word you love so much hahahahaha.

Kliff Kingsbury might be the guy.

I dunno much 'bout Kingsbury, other than that he once hooked up with Johnny Football, a Mike Sherman recruit. Adam Gase, whom you dislike wholeheartedly, once crossed paths with Martz, though. I'm with you regarding the notion that the Packers should air it out all day. Fuck the run. Packers have the Great Arm of Butte at QB, and the "ingrates and imbecilic detractors" want him feeding so-so RBs the rock?

Anti-Polar Bear
01-06-2019, 01:00 AM

Rodgers has independently evolved into a Martzist. Likes to cuddle the rock for eons as the big play develops yonder. Likes to kill the run in favor of the pass. A Martz-Rodgers marriage could make the Packers great again.

Bossman641
01-06-2019, 08:01 AM
Mike Martz? Guy has been out of the league since 2011. We need someone on the cutting edge of how offense is played today, not stale ideas from a decade ago. Pass

pbmax
01-06-2019, 08:25 AM
I dunno much 'bout Kingsbury, other than that he once hooked up with Johnny Football, a Mike Sherman recruit. Adam Gase, whom you dislike wholeheartedly, once crossed paths with Martz, though. I'm with you regarding the notion that the Packers should air it out all day. Fuck the run. Packers have the Great Arm of Butte at QB, and the "ingrates and imbecilic detractors" want him feeding so-so RBs the rock?

When did Gase work with Martz?

Joemailman
01-06-2019, 09:27 AM
And that is the key to GB hiring the right coach.

So I ask you again rats......which candidates have a chance...to...……………

MARGA ????

I keep going back to Todd Monken. Bucs led the NFL in passing yards with Jameis Winston and Ryan Fitzpatrick at QB. Now, the Bucs had WAY TOO MANY interceptions, but with Rodgers I don't see that as a problem.

As for the Super Bowl though, it's worth remembering that the Packers won their Super Bowls in years where the defense was rated higher than the offense. So, who the new coach hires as DC matters too. I think Pettine is capable of putting together that kind of defense if you give him some pass rushers and some safeties.

Anti-Polar Bear
01-06-2019, 09:29 AM
When did Gase work with Martz?

Detroit.

Dougherty just wrote an column on Gase and that other guy. Looks like the paperboy must’ve been late this morning with your paper.

Kiddos to the folks who still subscribe to actual newspapers. The “paperboy” is paid by subscriptions, not hourly wage. Cancellation talkes away a percentage of their income. Believe me I know. Capitalism forced me to deliver papers for a few months shortly after I was released from the mental institution.

pbmax
01-06-2019, 10:40 AM
Detroit.

Dougherty just wrote an column on Gase and that other guy. Looks like the paperboy must’ve been late this morning with your paper.

Kiddos to the folks who still subscribe to actual newspapers. The “paperboy” is paid by subscriptions, not hourly wage. Cancellation talkes away a percentage of their income. Believe me I know. Capitalism forced me to deliver papers for a few months shortly after I was released from the mental institution.

OK, I am off the Gase bandwagon. Not because of Martz or Tank but these two items:

His own offense, which he used in Chicago as coordinator and Miami as head coach, has Martz tendencies but with a mix of everything he has learned.

“He’s very bright and very versatile and doesn’t mind changing as long as he gets to call the plays,” the former member of the Broncos’ staff said.

Not sure we need ANY Martz tendencies. But more troubling is the idea he has to call the plays as a young HC. Points to lack of focus on rest of team. This was one of McCarthy's few weaknesses.

Also:

“From what I understand, offensive coordinator, yeah, you want him in a heartbeat,” said an assistant coach in the league who is friends with several members of Gase’s Miami staff. “Head coach? Very hands off. His personality is very reserved.”

Packers might be one of few teams this will work with. But you really don't need a shrinking violet as HC.

I am now on Team LeFleur.

Bretsky
01-06-2019, 02:23 PM
OK, I am off the Gase bandwagon. Not because of Martz or Tank but these two items:

Not sure we need ANY Martz tendencies. But more troubling is the idea he has to call the plays as a young HC. Points to lack of focus on rest of team. This was one of McCarthy's few weaknesses.

Also:

Packers might be one of few teams this will work with. But you really don't need a shrinking violet as HC.

I am now on Team LeFleur.

WHY are you on Team LeFleur ? Not that I'm saying he's a bad choice. He'd be one of my top 5.

But my impression is you are looking for reasons to eliminate candidates as opposed to finding the best one.

Perhaps that comes from my perceived stubbornness for you eliminating HG2 so early when he's pretty much considered the top assistant and most qualified candidate in the NFL to coach any team on paper and by most I listen to on the NFL Network and interviews

gbgary
01-06-2019, 02:30 PM
as i mention in another thread Rodgers isn't 28 anymore. a fact that has escaped both parties. the next coach has to have a stronger personality than Rodgers, the organization has to have his back, they need to change the O philosophy (away from big play over first down), and Rodgers has to want to change. i don't think those things are likely so i don't think matters who the coach is.

pbmax
01-06-2019, 02:51 PM
WHY are you on Team LeFleur ? Not that I'm saying he's a bad choice. He'd be one of my top 5.

But my impression is you are looking for reasons to eliminate candidates as opposed to finding the best one.

Perhaps that comes from my perceived stubbornness for you eliminating HG2 so early when he's pretty much considered the top assistant and most qualified candidate in the NFL to coach any team on paper and by most I listen to on the NFL Network and interviews

First, I don’t know what I am talking about :)

Second, easier to find disqualifications than qualifications.

Third, LaFleur just doesn’t have any red flags. Doesn’t mean he is ready to be HC or emotionally equipped. Gase had a bad go except for one year at Miami. Can also make case he is the product of Manning as his own OC.

Fourth, like Zimmer or Parcells or Belichick or Coughlin, I like the notion of exec HC. Not play caller or D coordinator. Not a deal breaker but I think it helps game management.

This was in article from another coaching source and not a quote by Gase, so take it with a grain of salt. Perhaps LaFleur will want to call plays too.

McDaniels just doesn’t strike me as the guy who will break free of Belichick assistant mold. His stint in Denver (not wholly unqualifying) was problematic including the ludicrous idea of drafting Tebow as his starter. Being delusional and an egotistical and unproven outside of BB, I see too much downside that cancels the upside of possible budding genius.

Boning over the Colts is just an example of not being true to his word. Points to short termer-ism.

texaspackerbacker
01-06-2019, 05:15 PM
I don't think I ever said I hated the idea of Gase, and the more I read, the better I like him - that little bit of Martz i.e. pass pass pass. I see Kliff Kingsbury is getting some consideration from the Jets and maybe a couple of others. His "air raid" offense is what I want to see.

Lafleur has been more about balance with the Titans. I'm not gonna say anything against him, though, as likely, he or anybody else the Packers select will subordinate their own ego to doing what works - which is pass first and pass often when you have the GOAT QB.

The whole selection process is (or should be) less about who and more about what kind of offense the guy prefers.

call_me_ishmael
01-06-2019, 10:06 PM
as i mention in another thread Rodgers isn't 28 anymore. a fact that has escaped both parties. the next coach has to have a stronger personality than Rodgers, the organization has to have his back, they need to change the O philosophy (away from big play over first down), and Rodgers has to want to change. i don't think those things are likely so i don't think matters who the coach is.

Great post. This is basically my opinion put much more succinctly than I could.

texaspackerbacker
01-06-2019, 11:25 PM
42 is the new 28 - just ask Tom Brady. Big Plays = Good, Short Quick Passes = Not So Much

Freak Out
01-07-2019, 01:46 PM
OFFENSIVE LINE!