PDA

View Full Version : Packers hiring LaFleur.

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Bretsky
01-12-2019, 06:17 PM
Murphy said LaFleur was the best prepared of all the candidates. I suspect part of that was discussing putting together a coaching staff. I'm glad he doesn't feel he needs to keep MM's long-time assistants. The man has a plan.

When I was listening to ESPN 1070 last week they pointed out one really impressive think the Packer Brass noted was MattFloor brought in a list of potential offensive and defensive coaches he'd like to consider if he were hired. And at the top of the list was Pettine...and GB liked that

Bretsky
01-12-2019, 06:18 PM
Personally I don't care if he brought any of them back

I'm more worried about the hiring of LeFleur than I am which assistants he chooses

Joemailman
01-12-2019, 06:36 PM
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/12/report-packers-interviewing-karl-dorrell-for-coordinator-job/

Green Bay has received permission to interview Jets receivers coach Karl Dorrell for the job, Tom Silverstein of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports.

Dorrell, 55, has spent the past four seasons with the Jets. He previously served as an offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach for Vanderbilt (2014), quarterbacks coach for the Texans (2012-13) and Dolphins (2011) and receivers coach for the Dolphins (2008-10). He has 13 years experience as an NFL assistant.

Dorrell was the head coach at UCLA from 2003-07.

Bretsky
01-12-2019, 06:41 PM
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/12/report-packers-interviewing-karl-dorrell-for-coordinator-job/

J.E.T.S. JETS JETS JETS

pbmax
01-12-2019, 07:27 PM
Tom Silverstein @TomSilverstein
Another candidate on radar for OC spot on Matt LaFleur's staff is #Jets WRs coach Karl Dorrell, according to a source. Started under Mike Shanahan in Denver and has 13 years NFL experience in different offenses. Was head coach at UCLA and has coached WRs and QBs.

AFTER COMPLAINING ELSEWHERE THAT M3 HAD HIS QC GUYS COACHING WRS INSTEAD OF JIMMY ROBINSON, THIS LOOKS SOLID BECAUSE AS WE WILL LEARN, HE IS NOT A CANDIDATE FOR OC

I have an update on this. Dorrell is interviewing for WRs coach, not OC. Sorry for the mix up.

If #Packers get Dorrell at WRs coach and a veteran like Monken or Hackett at OC, they'd have the start of a very good offensive staff.

I AGREE, THESE GUYS WOULD BE GIVE SOME VETERAN HEFT TO THE NEW ENTERPRISE

The Shadow
01-12-2019, 08:09 PM
Whitt was NOT very good, and needed to go.

Joemailman
01-12-2019, 08:29 PM
Another candidate on radar for OC spot on Matt LaFleur's staff is #Jets WRs coach Karl Dorrell, according to a source. Started under Mike Shanahan in Denver and has 13 years NFL experience in different offenses. Was head coach at UCLA and has coached WRs and QBs.

AFTER COMPLAINING ELSEWHERE THAT M3 HAD HIS QC GUYS COACHING WRS INSTEAD OF JIMMY ROBINSON, THIS LOOKS SOLID BECAUSE AS WE WILL LEARN, HE IS NOT A CANDIDATE FOR OC

I have an update on this. Dorrell is interviewing for WRs coach, not OC. Sorry for the mix up.

If #Packers get Dorrell at WRs coach and a veteran like Monken or Hackett at OC, they'd have the start of a very good offensive staff.

I AGREE, THESE GUYS WOULD BE GIVE SOME VETERAN HEFT TO THE NEW ENTERPRISE

Okay, Dorrell as WR coach makes more sense.

If not calling plays as OC is an impediment to getting a HC job, would someone like Monken want to come here?

pbmax
01-12-2019, 09:31 PM
Okay, Dorrell as WR coach makes more sense.

If not calling plays as OC is an impediment to getting a HC job, would someone like Monken want to come here?

He has called plays and this is the hot offense.

pbmax
01-12-2019, 11:04 PM
Lack of aggressiveness
Need to play harder
Overcome complacency

What Packers are trying to solve with new coach.

https://madison.com/wsj/sports/football/professional/kicking-complacency-packers-assistant-coach-search-seeks-clean-break-from/article_d4bea456-f69b-5259-984b-472f36bc67d1.html

pbmax
01-13-2019, 09:41 AM
We have reached the narrative coherence. The Packers changed the coach because of complacency. It had set in, the players knew it and McCarthy was powerless to stop it. This will be repeated until we are all dead and our offspring have to decide whether to spend untold hours on the internet arguing about how dumb and one dimensional it is.

https://247sports.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/Article/Packers-admit-complacency-became-a-problem-under-Mike-McCarthy-127682207

There is an intriguing history here, as this was often heard about the team on defense when Capers was let go. But as I said somewhere else, this is a nice talking point but cannot be proven in any meaningful way.

But given the history (players comments about Capers, Randall and Martinez comments) and the PC for the firing and the hiring, the Packers have successfully conducted a PR strategy to give a name to the reason they moved on.

Also helps that Wilde has two sources saying they are actively trying to remove all long term traces of McCarthy from the coaching ranks (Philbin, Whitt, Campen).

Joemailman
01-13-2019, 09:57 AM
I wonder if this goes back in some ways to Week 1. The Packers came out flat on Opening Night, against The Bears in front of a national television audience.On Monday McCarthy acknowledged they came out flat and said "it has been addressed". I wondered at the time how the hell you can be flat on Opening Night, and I suspect Murphy and Gute wondered the same thing. The lackluster performance against Arizona in a must-win situation was just the last straw. So I don't think this was a matter of coming up with a narrative in the last week. I think they realized early in the season that complacency had set in and that a change would have to be made.

pbmax
01-13-2019, 10:14 AM
I don't believe pronouncements about being flat in game normally.

I am going to need more. To me, this just sounds like dissembling.

mraynrand
01-13-2019, 12:04 PM
Packerrats is complacent

Joemailman
01-13-2019, 04:25 PM
https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/13/packers-interested-in-dolphins-special-teams-coordinator-darren-rizzi/

According to Tom Pelissero of NFL Network, the Packers have reached out to Miami Dolphins special teams coordinator and former assistant head coach Darren Rizzi about taking the job in Green Bay.

After denying requests during HC search, the #Dolphins now are permitting respected STC Darren Rizzi — a candidate for head job before Miami settled on Brian Flores — to speak to other teams, per source. They’d like to retain him.

Rizzi, 48, has been the special teams coordinator in Miami since 2010. He was an assistant head coach to Adam Gase and interviewed for the team’s open head-coaching job after Gase was fired earlier this month.

gbgary
01-13-2019, 04:53 PM
Packerrats is complacent

lol

pbmax
01-13-2019, 06:15 PM
Campen is leaving. Had a rough start where everyone doubted him but really turned it around. Bulaga, Bach, Lang, Sitton, Taylor, Linsley. Nick MacDonald of course.

Rob Demovsky @RobDemovsky

James Campen will become the Cleveland Browns associate head coach/offensive line coach, according to league sources. So the Packers are losing their longest-tenured assistant coach. New Packers coach Matt LaFleur will hire a new line coach.

https://t.co/bbrYD46fUM

call_me_ishmael
01-13-2019, 11:11 PM
https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/13/packers-interested-in-dolphins-special-teams-coordinator-darren-rizzi/

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/6ErtUgJKWwzK2ws74epwqIGjZFQ=/158x0:896x561/1200x800/filters:focal(431x200:593x362)/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/52406721/Screen_Shot_2016_09_29_at_11.28.12_PM_1024x561.0.p ng

mraynrand
01-14-2019, 12:30 AM
^^^ If they hire him, I'm changing my avatar

pbmax
01-14-2019, 10:21 AM
Now THAT'S a special teams coach.

That look versus the Packers ST history. Will be a good match.

bobblehead
01-14-2019, 11:13 AM
https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2019/1/14/18176651/packers-film-room-a-quick-look-at-matt-lafleurs-screens-and-formations

One of the best articles I have read that outlines the predictability and failings of MMs offense while giving me hope for Laflavor of the month.

gbgary
01-14-2019, 11:40 AM
https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2019/1/14/18176651/packers-film-room-a-quick-look-at-matt-lafleurs-screens-and-formations

One of the best articles I have read that outlines the predictability and failings of MMs offense while giving me hope for Laflavor of the month.

the main line of the last paragraph is the key. getting rodgers on board. a complete 180 in his attitude.

mraynrand
01-14-2019, 11:57 AM
Rodgers won't throw any of that weak short stuff. He'll hold the ball until the deep guy comes open and UNLEASH DA BOMB!!!

mraynrand
01-14-2019, 11:59 AM
A lot of that video was against the Chargers. That stuff won't work against them - they have all-pro Casey Hayward back there.

Fritz
01-14-2019, 01:24 PM
Rodgers needs to work on his touch. He's lousy at throwing a good screen pass.

pbmax
01-14-2019, 01:43 PM

This leaves me a little cold. Might be Mariota, but all the throws were short and none really faked anyone out and left someone wide open.

Its nice to have something new (think quick offense or the scripted 15 after Rodgers and McCarthy had mediation).

But if this is the base offense (and it probably isn't) its pretty limited.

pbmax
01-14-2019, 04:35 PM
Outside candidate that would shock the world, please Bretsky and piss off most of older PackerRats:

Lane Kiffin as OC.

pbmax
01-14-2019, 04:36 PM
This leaves me a little cold. Might be Mariota, but all the throws were short and none really faked anyone out and left someone wide open.

Its nice to have something new (think quick offense or the scripted 15 after Rodgers and McCarthy had mediation).

But if this is the base offense (and it probably isn't) its pretty limited.

Then again, unless you are showing me goal line footage, nothing the Titans do would make me happy.

The Packer loss to them was worse than the beating the Bills gave them a while back.

pbmax
01-14-2019, 05:08 PM
HUZZAH!

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet
Former #Jaguars OC Nathaniel Hackett is headed to Green Bay, as the #Packers are hiring him as their new offensive coordinator, source said. He’ll absolutely challenge and engage Aaron Rodgers.

Joemailman
01-14-2019, 05:16 PM
This should be fun.

https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/comedian-buddy-hackett-picture-id50544049?b=1&k=6&m=50544049&s=612x612&w=0&h=liy-IvCsvBIoovOfUSxLWic_BnrGGO5BIY8LRwAMg_g=

pbmax
01-14-2019, 05:25 PM
I know I will call him Buddy on the board.

gbgary
01-14-2019, 05:27 PM
lol

mraynrand
01-14-2019, 05:50 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gH_8b9w9AHY

pbmax
01-14-2019, 06:25 PM
Tyler Dunne @TyDunne

Really enjoyed chatting with Nathaniel Hackett back in August. Energy has been through the roof with the likes of EJ Manuel and Blake Bortles as OC. Imagine coaching Rodgers will ramp that up a notch or two. Seems to have the personality to push 12, too.

Well, he will know what bad looks like.

Bretsky
01-14-2019, 06:38 PM
Campen is leaving. Had a rough start where everyone doubted him but really turned it around. Bulaga, Bach, Lang, Sitton, Taylor, Linsley. Nick MacDonald of course.

James Campen will become the Cleveland Browns associate head coach/offensive line coach, according to league sources. So the Packers are losing their longest-tenured assistant coach. New Packers coach Matt LaFleur will hire a new line coach.

https://t.co/bbrYD46fUM

Captain Obvioius would like to point out the Cleveland jobs seem more appealing to Green Bay anyways

For GOD"S Sake we can't even land Monkey

Anybody else thinking we're hiring a bunch of Hack's.....excuse the pun.....of our next

Offensive Coordinator....fired by the Jags....with a long long list of sub par offenses he's led :(((((

Bretsky
01-14-2019, 06:44 PM
Outside candidate that would shock the world, please Bretsky and piss off most of older PackerRats:

Lane Kiffin as OC.

He's an asshole; but he's qualified

We hired a head coach nobody even had on their interview list. MARCIA clearly must be smarter than everybody else.

I like Pettine; but honestly none of the credentials of the guys they are brining in are awe striking.

Bretsky
01-14-2019, 06:46 PM

Lane Kiffin as OC.

BTW, this guy would NEVER be considered; he's too strong willed and opinionated for Marcia

Bretsky
01-14-2019, 06:47 PM
Tyler Dunne @TyDunne

Really enjoyed chatting with Nathaniel Hackett back in August. Energy has been through the roof with the likes of EJ Manuel and Blake Bortles as OC. Imagine coaching Rodgers will ramp that up a notch or two. Seems to have the personality to push 12, too.

Well, he will know what bad looks like.

If I got fired by the Jags I'd be stoked to get a job too :)

pbmax
01-14-2019, 07:05 PM

Jags were fifth in points and sixth in yards last year. Bucs were 18th and 9th.

Teamcheez1
01-14-2019, 07:09 PM
Jags were fifth in points and sixth in yards last year. Bucs were 18th and 9th.

You’re going to have a hard time reasoning with folks that just want a shiny new toy.

pbmax
01-14-2019, 07:14 PM
Might have dodged a bullet. Look at Adam Gase's eyes during his Jets PC.

https://deadspin.com/adam-gases-eyes-introduced-to-new-york-media-1831744683

Joemailman
01-14-2019, 07:35 PM

He was the scapegoat. Jags averaged just over 9 PPG after they fired him.

mraynrand
01-14-2019, 07:40 PM
You’re going to have a hard time reasoning with folks that just want a shiny new toy.

I am sick, sick for toys.

mraynrand
01-14-2019, 07:41 PM

http://i0.wp.com/www.dreadcentral.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Star-trek-Balok.jpg?resize=700%2C533

Bretsky
01-14-2019, 08:07 PM
He was the scapegoat. Jags averaged just over 9 PPG after they fired him.

Is that the word in Jacksonville ? He was there for quite some time, right ??

texaspackerbacker
01-14-2019, 11:33 PM
This guy will mean about as much for the Packers as Philbin did with McCarthy - an OC working for an offensive-minded head coach. Has Lafleur said yet if he will call the plays? Very likely that he does, and a sure thing he will design the offense and do the game-planning.

red
01-14-2019, 11:49 PM
Captain Obvioius would like to point out the Cleveland jobs seem more appealing to Green Bay anyways

For GOD"S Sake we can't even land Monkey

Anybody else thinking we're hiring a bunch of Hack's.....excuse the pun.....of our next

Offensive Coordinator....fired by the Jags....with a long long list of sub par offenses he's led :(((((

our new coaches don't inspire a lot of confidence do they?

gotta wonder if we're just taking what we can get. maybe everyone sees the obvious, we are a shit team with a QB running the show

when cleveland looks like the better option, you know youre fucked

good bye glory years, hello syberia

pbmax
01-15-2019, 12:02 AM
Packer Report @PackerReport
For what it's worth, and it's probably nothing, but Rizzi and Mark Murphy were at Colgate in 1993.

Its not the QB we need to be worried about.

pbmax
01-15-2019, 12:29 AM
So Shawn Jefferson is getting a chance to interview for WR according to Spoon. https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2019/01/14/nathaniel-hackett-become-packers-offensive-coordinator/2574739002/

In addition to hiring Hackett and pursuing Rizzi, LaFleur has shown interest in Dolphins assistant head coach/offense Shawn Jefferson, according to a source. It is believed LaFleur is looking at him as a wide receivers coach.

Which leaves the question of Karl Dorrell. WR coach for the Jets. Has experience in several offenses including Shanahan's and was a head coach at UCLA. The JSO story originally had him interviewing for the OC job, but it was corrected to WR coach. Wonder if one of these guys gets the QB coach job?

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2019/01/12/jets-wr-coach-karl-dorrell-emerges-packers-oc-candidate/2552020002/

Fritz
01-15-2019, 09:14 AM

Wow. He looks like a cross between Marty Feldman and Pee Wee Herman.

Yikes.

pbmax
01-15-2019, 10:30 AM
At some point, some analytic type is going to apply some metrics and logic to football administration and we will finally be at the beginning of the end of hiring coaches who beat our pants off 3 or 4 years ago.

Albert Brea, who is an idiot, but for this moment I am hoping can handle transcription:

WHAT MATT LAFLEUR BRINGS TO GREEN BAY

Here’s how well Matt LaFleur’s interview went with Green Bay—he showed up with three iPads (one for president Mark Murphy, one for GM Brian Gutekunst and one for EVP Russ Ball), planning to use them as a visual aids for a presentation he wanted to give. He never gave that presentation. And he got the job anyways.

“I can’t actually tell you what he was going to show us, becuase I never saw what it was,” Gutekunst told me over the phone on Friday. “But you could tell he’d done a lot of work on it. I’m sure he’s probably thinking to himself, I spent how many hours on these things?”

He doesn’t need to worry about it anymore, of course. The 39-year-old former Rams and Titans offensive coordinator won what was a wide-open process that really began in earnest with the Dec. 2 dismissal of Mike McCarthy. And in the middle of it was the 45-year-old Gutekunst, a first-year GM who came in with no experience in the way of searching for a head coach.

In fact, back when the Packers last hired coach (McCarthy, in 2006), Gutekunst was the team’s Southeast area scout, and far removed from the process. “I was grinding on the road, probably at the East-West game, when all that went down,” he says.

So I called Gutekunst to see what this experience was like for him. Here’s a piece of our conversation.

Was there an advantage to starting the search early?
“I think that allowed us time to really start vetting candidates, to narrow the list. And even though we actually ended up talking to quite a number of people, I just think it helped that. We wanted to start with a wide net, and I think we did that, shortly after Mark relieved Mike.

pbmax
01-15-2019, 10:31 AM
continued

How did Matt’s name land on your radar?
“In personnel we’re taught, from the time we’re young scouts, to always keep an eye out. And it’s obviously players, which is our job, but any young coaches, good coaches you see along the way, keep your list, keep your information, talk to different people about them. So Matt’s been someone who’s been on my radar for a while, and as we started our process, he was part of that wide net.”

Do you remember how his name first came up?
“Kyle Shanahan and those guys were in Atlanta [where LaFleur was QBs coach in 2015 and ‘16 under Shanahan as OC], we played them a few times and really struggled with them, really struggled with their scheme and how they did things. I always really liked the way they attacked us and the way they called the game. I was impressed with how they went about their offensive stuff. So all those guys that came from that system, you were kind of keeping an eye on.”

What jumped out during the interview?
“His vision—I thought he was really driven, and there was kind of a quiet confidence about him when he discussed those things. His vision and what he wanted to do with our football team was very much aligned with my vision for it. And it was pretty evident pretty quickly that we could work well together, and I thought he could work well with our players.”

Obviously, the relationship with the quarterback will be scrutinized. Was it important here?
“No doubt. I mean, it’s about the team, but Aaron [Rodgers] is a big part of our team. So that was certainly part of it, how he’s going to use Aaron. And how the partnership there with the offense was going to go. He’s a head coach, he’s responsible for all the decisions, he’s got to be the head coach first. But the relationship with our players and obviously Aaron is really important.”

You see the reaching for Sean McVay’s assistants. You got one, so is there any concern of an overreach there?
“I think it’s always been that way. I go back to when I first started in this league, everybody who coached in San Francisco got a head-coaching job. And then Green Bay was really good in the late ‘90s, and all the guys that came through Green Bay got head coaching jobs because of that success. That’s just kind of the way this league is and always has been. It was certainly the success of the places he’s been that contributed to us being interested in him, but he was obviously part of that too. So it was maybe a small part to get you interested, but then it really comes down to substance of the guy.”

pbmax
01-15-2019, 10:33 AM
Because, in essence, hiring the guy who torched Dom Capers defense means hiring the guy who best took advantage of the outdated and poorly implemented scheme plus player talent deficiencies and injuries.

Also, if a guy volunteers to tell you something in an interview or negotiation, you should listen to it. You never know what it will reveal. Someday those iPads will reveal he was an idiot who used Power Point on a Mac to create a slide show.

mraynrand
01-15-2019, 10:40 AM
Someday those iPads will reveal he was an idiot who used Power Point on a Mac to create a slide show.

lol. I guess I'll never be a Packer Coach...

mraynrand
01-15-2019, 10:41 AM
Because, in essence, hiring the guy who torched Dom Capers defense means hiring the guy who best took advantage of the outdated and poorly implemented scheme plus player talent deficiencies and injuries.

Wouldn't that mean hiring Matt Stafford as OC?

pbmax
01-15-2019, 10:55 AM
Market inefficiencies apparently are my trigger to suddenly want a coach hired:

Mike Garafolo @MikeGarafolo
Stunner: The #Colts are letting OL coach Dave DeGuglielmo go, sources say. That line made tremendous leaps this season. But Frank Reich wants his own guy. DeGuglielmo was the only offensive coach Josh McDaniels had hired. Reich is actually recommending him to other coaches.

Here is Bedard on him after the Patriots win over the Seahawks. https://www.si.com/2015/02/13/new-england-patriots-offensive-line-dave-deguglielmo

Googe was fired the next year after a playoff meltdown and overall poor performance by the O line that was hurt by injury and the absence of Makins. Not entirely comforting item on the resume. No link to ZBS or Shanahan.

However, McDLT hired him during the three days he was going to be the Colts coach.

Also had a good stint with the Giants during their Super Bowl runs.

pbmax
01-15-2019, 10:56 AM
Wouldn't that mean hiring Matt Stafford as OC?

Eventually, yes, if he becomes a coach and the Packer GM was around the last two years.

esoxx
01-15-2019, 12:47 PM

Also, if a guy volunteers to tell you something in an interview or negotiation, you should listen to it. You never know what it will reveal. Someday those iPads will reveal he was an idiot who used Power Point on a Mac to create a slide show.

Wow, this is pretty troubling. Why the hell would you not want to see his presentation? Were they in a hurry? I wonder who made the call *cough* Marcia Murphy *cough* that we don't need to see what you have there?

Marcia has all the answers. We don't need no stinkin' presentation.

I'm really starting to think we have a nitwit in charge. He may be good on the administrative side but stay the fuck away from the football side!

pbmax
01-15-2019, 12:53 PM
Wow, this is pretty troubling. Why the hell would you not want to see his presentation? Were they in a hurry? I wonder who made the call *cough* Marcia Murphy *cough* that we don't need to see what you have there?

Marcia has all the answers. We don't need no stinkin' presentation.

I'm really starting to think we have a nitwit in charge. He may be good on the administrative side but stay the fuck away from the football side!

Maybe the others were bigger nitwits?

In my experience, the best interviewers are not the best candidates, but the best candidates are usually a good interview.

The one positive I took away from this is that the idea to interview LaFluer came from Gutey. So three people thought he was a solid choice and that was not a top down initiated chain reaction.

Bossman641
01-15-2019, 03:15 PM
Adam Gases's eyes are going to give me nightmares.

gbgary
01-15-2019, 03:44 PM
Has Lafleur said yet if he will call the plays?

yes

pbmax
01-15-2019, 03:51 PM
Adam Gase's father:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41By0VKqXrL.jpg

pbmax
01-15-2019, 03:57 PM
Jim Owczarski @JimOwczarski
As head coach Matt LaFleur continues to build his staff in Green Bay, others continue to depart: Can confirm that #Packers linebackers coach Patrick Graham is expected to head to the #Dolphins when such a move is allowed.

Filling a coaching staff is one of the more fascinating aspects of pro football to me - it's unbelievable how (and through who) people are connected. So as new #Packers HC Matt LaFLeur is building his staff, it's natural to look for ties to people (1/3)

Some aren't direct, like Nathaniel Hackett. They've never worked together. But Hackett was on the staff in Buffalo with Mike Pettine. And on the staff in Jacksonville with the man LaFleur credits for getting him into the league, Robert Saleh (2/3) #Packers

But then there's a guy like Jim Haslett - worked in Washington as Mike Shanahan's DC when LaFleur was out there. #Packers need (or will need) linebacker coaches. He & Pettine haven't worked together but he's familiar w/ 3-4 and are Pennsylvania guys. Seems like a match. (3/3)

Oh, also forgot to mention that Hackett worked for a year with #Packers pass game coordinator Jim Hostler. So LaFleur had more than a few guys close to him to talk to about his new OC.

pbmax
01-15-2019, 03:58 PM
Tom Pelissero @TomPelissero
I'm told the #Packers also put in a slip to interview Brandon Staley, but the #Bears blocked it. Instead follows Fangio out of the division.

OLB COACH

George Cumby
01-15-2019, 04:58 PM
I kinda' don't get all of the hand-wringing over turnover in the coaching staff. Isn't it customary for a new coach to bring in HIS staff? And after the last couple years, flushing this crew, ESPECIALLY THE STRENGTH AND CONDITIONING STAFF, only makes sense.

I get keeping Pettine provided that's really what Lafleur really wanted.

pbmax
01-15-2019, 05:47 PM
I kinda' don't get all of the hand-wringing over turnover in the coaching staff. Isn't it customary for a new coach to bring in HIS staff? And after the last couple years, flushing this crew, ESPECIALLY THE STRENGTH AND CONDITIONING STAFF, only makes sense.

I get keeping Pettine provided that's really what Lafleur really wanted.

That's a good question. Russ Ball is in charge of strength and conditioning. I wonder if there are any changes afoot?

EDIT: Pretty sure about this. Here is the blurb from the media guide in the article that was semi-pimping Ball as next GM.

The media guide says his daily supervision includes the following departments: athletic training, equipment, video, corporate travel, player development, family programs and public relations.)

https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2017/05/29/wis-0530-packers-ball-part-1/349589001/

pbmax
01-15-2019, 09:19 PM
Nice article and free from Packer Report. Covers the guys entire football background with a mention of virtually each coach he has worked closely with.

And nice catch by Chris Roth (TV guy from GB) that LaFleur and Rodgers share a small college background and approach to leadership.

Chris Roth @rothchris
Good stuff from Bill here, and reasons to believe LaFleur will connect with Rodgers: from college coach "LaFleur is fierce competitor"-sound familiar? And his IFL coach saying he brought guys from different backgrounds together - like Rodgers at Butte CC, Similarities

You can trust this, its 24/7 or whatever Scout.com turned into: https://t.co/MPodcilhuP

red
01-15-2019, 09:45 PM
Nice article and free from Packer Report. Covers the guys entire football background with a mention of virtually each coach he has worked closely with.

And nice catch by Chris Roth (TV guy from GB) that LaFleur and Rodgers share a small college background and approach to leadership.

Chris Roth @rothchris
Good stuff from Bill here, and reasons to believe LaFleur will connect with Rodgers: from college coach "LaFleur is fierce competitor"-sound familiar? And his IFL coach saying he brought guys from different backgrounds together - like Rodgers at Butte CC, Similarities

You can trust this, its 24/7 or whatever Scout.com turned into: https://t.co/MPodcilhuP

thats great that he's a rah rah guy, can he coach at all? can he even run an offense?

thats the big question

right now we're building a team of QB coaches. we got a lot of other guys that need coaching too

mraynrand
01-15-2019, 09:52 PM
thats great that he's a rah rah guy, can he coach at all? can he even run an offense?

thats the big question

right now we're building a team of QB coaches. we got a lot of other guys that need coaching too

everything is the worst thing

Smidgeon
01-16-2019, 10:19 AM
Rizzi interviewed and left GB without a contract. To be fair, I think Hackett did too. So not a closed door, but still risk he's headed elsewhere.

pbmax
01-16-2019, 10:23 AM
Rizzi interviewed and left GB without a contract. To be fair, I think Hackett did too. So not a closed door, but still risk he's headed elsewhere.

Yep. Some other tidbits too:

#Packers make Nathaniel Hackett hiring as offensive coordinator official.

Former #Dolphins special teams coach Darren Rizzi left Green Bay without a contract. It’s likely he’s weighing his offers, but apparently the #Packers didn’t make him one he couldn’t refuse or he wouldn’t have left. Also, #Dolphins WRs coach Shawn Jefferson interviewed Tuesday.

JOHN BONAMEGO STILL AVAILABLE

Matt Maiocco @MaioccoNBCS
The #Packers received permission from the #49ers to interview assistant offensive line coach Adam Stenavich for GB’s offensive line coach opening, per source.

Stenavich, a Marshfield native, has interviewed with new coach Matt LaFleur, a source said.

Stenavich was on the #Packers practice squad in 2006-‘07. He is schooled in the #49ers blocking system, which is what LaFleur is expected to install. He would replace Campen. He’s from Marshfield but is six years younger than Mark Tauscher, who is from there also.

Grant Paulsen @granthpaulsen
Redskins LB's coach Kirk Olivadotti was granted permission to interview for the same job with the Green Bay Packers, sources say. Could be the second Redskins assistant under contract to leave for another organization.

Olivadotti could fill both of the positions left vacant with Winston Moss’ firing and Patrick Graham’s expected departure to Miami.

Pugger
01-16-2019, 10:24 AM

That's not surprising. Why would he want to work for a rookie HC?

pbmax
01-16-2019, 10:25 AM
The impulse to hire people you know or work for people you know, is truly remarkable. People would rather be comfortable and get less quality than work with an unknown with greater accomplishment.

pbmax
01-16-2019, 10:26 AM
That's not surprising. Why would he want to work for a rookie HC?

I think the idea would be that he gets a large amount of say in how things are run for ST AND he gets a huge salary.

Pugger
01-16-2019, 10:30 AM
I think the idea would be that he gets a large amount of say in how things are run for ST AND he gets a huge salary.

Why wouldn't he get that elsewhere?

Fritz
01-16-2019, 10:51 AM

Chris Roth @rothchris

Same approach to leadership? So when a rookie wide receiver runs the wrong route, LeFleur is going to gesture angrily at him, roll his eyes, and shake his head in disgust on the sidelines?

mraynrand
01-16-2019, 11:31 AM

And/or, maybe he's impressed by the guy, thinks they'll be good, win championships, maybe resulting in upward mobility, increasing salary, prestige, larger church tithe, vacation home, etc. etc.

mraynrand
01-16-2019, 11:32 AM
Same approach to leadership? So when a rookie wide receiver runs the wrong route, LeFleur is going to gesture angrily at him, roll his eyes, and shake his head in disgust on the sidelines?

I hope Murphy and Gute are on-board with the non-verbal gestures. The Financial Secretary too.

pbmax
01-16-2019, 12:08 PM
Why wouldn't he get that elsewhere?

Coaches are weird creatures of habit. He is not getting that kind of latitude in New England, where BB is his own ST coach. Stubby also thought himself quite an expert.

A beat guy mentioned that one problem bedeviling Packer ST was draft and develop, where they are always shuffling in new guys. This is horse manure. When Ted had it going, the roster was more stable than most franchises. Where personnel catastrophes struck, the Packers switched gears and moved people around like Jerry Jones changes bus drivers. Gute did this this past season.

Both produced poor results.

The real reason the Packer ST suck (besides getting ordinary results from Crosby and terrible results from punters) is that they refuse to use starters except occasionally at return positions.

And that they don't make a habit of picking up special teams aces as roster filler. They would prefer to have depth that might develop into starters, not wedge blockers. I think this is a different criticism than the draft and develop, because if Ted went whole hog FA, those guys still aren't starting on ST for the Packers.

pbmax
01-16-2019, 12:18 PM
Packers RB coach Ben Sirmans is expected to be retained on Matt LaFleur's staff, per sources. Not official yet, but it's in the works. He's done strong work with Aaron Jones, Jamaal Williams and the young running backs. https://t.co/BNkvBB1DLl

Not too surprising, but #Packers are not retaining QBs coach Frank Cignetti. He’s a McCarthy guy with no ties to new coach Matt LaFleur. It’s likely OC Nathaniel Hackett will spend a lot of time with QBs. No word if LaFleur is eyeing a QBs coach.

mraynrand
01-16-2019, 12:26 PM
Marcus Wilson, Travis Jervey, Jarrett Bush, Jeff Janis. Just the first four guys I could think of that span the past 25 years of keeping some guys because they are simply talented on ST. (Except, of course, Janis developed into an All-Pro WR - after leaving GB)

pbmax
01-16-2019, 01:26 PM
Marcus Wilson, Travis Jervey, Jarrett Bush, Jeff Janis. Just the first four guys I could think of that span the past 25 years of keeping some guys because they are simply talented on ST. (Except, of course, Janis developed into an All-Pro WR - after leaving GB)

He basically made Baker Mayfield after Hue Jackson got out of his way. Hue is just stubborn.

pbmax
01-16-2019, 01:27 PM

I think Trevor Davis belongs on this list too. He certainly wasn't on the team for his durability/health :)

Maybe Joe Thomas too.

Joemailman
01-16-2019, 04:53 PM
https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/16/packers-targeting-49ers-adam-stenavich-for-vacant-ol-coach-job/

Matt LaFleur and the Green Bay Packers have set their sights on a Wisconsin native with history in the Kyle Shanahan offense as a potential replacement for departed offensive line coach James Campen.

According to Rob Demovsky of ESPN, the Packers received permission and have interviewed San Francisco 49ers assistant offensive line coach Adam Stenavich for the job.

Stenavich was born and raised in Marshfield, Wisconsin. He went out of state for college, starring for Michigan as a two-time All-Big Ten pick at left tackle.

Despite being undrafted in 2006, Stenavich hung around the NFL for five seasons, playing for five different franchises, including the Packers from 2006-07. He never played in a regular season NFL game.

His coaching career got started as a graduate assistant at Michigan in 2011 and eventually advanced to roles as the offensive line coach at Northern Arizona (2014) and San Jose State (2015-16) before Shanahan brought him to San Francisco to be the 49ers assistant offensive line coach in 2017. He’s worked under offensive line coach John Benton the last two seasons.

pbmax
01-16-2019, 05:23 PM
^ Now that is a thin coaching resume. Seven years total, one in system.

pbmax
01-16-2019, 05:23 PM
wt

Joemailman
01-16-2019, 05:31 PM

2 in system. Not much different than Campen who had 3 years as AOLC, without the college experience before McCarthy promoted him to OLC.

Bretsky
01-16-2019, 06:43 PM
Packers RB coach Ben Sirmans is expected to be retained on Matt LaFleur's staff, per sources. Not official yet, but it's in the works. He's done strong work with Aaron Jones, Jamaal Williams and the young running backs. https://t.co/BNkvBB1DLl

Not too surprising, but #Packers are not retaining QBs coach Frank Cignetti. He’s a McCarthy guy with no ties to new coach Matt LaFleur. It’s likely OC Nathaniel Hackett will spend a lot of time with QBs. No word if LaFleur is eyeing a QBs coach.

WHERE IS VAN PELT ????

Bretsky
01-16-2019, 06:44 PM

Surprising ?

mraynrand
01-16-2019, 06:57 PM

Is he old enough to chew ice chips on the sideline?

pbmax
01-16-2019, 09:51 PM
Surprising ?

There should ne two old people on each staff. Usually its the O line coach and the D coordinator. I would allow a substitute for the ST coach.

pbmax
01-16-2019, 09:53 PM
Is he old enough to chew ice chips on the sideline?

I wish it was orange slices.

pbmax
01-16-2019, 09:54 PM
2 in system. Not much different than Campen who had 3 years as AOLC, without the college experience before McCarthy promoted him to OLC.

OK. But its one less and Campen's O line coach was still on the team when he was promoted.

Joemailman
01-16-2019, 11:24 PM
OK. But its one less and Campen's O line coach was still on the team when he was promoted.

Don't be surprised if they add a run game coordinator who has an offensive line background.

Joemailman
01-17-2019, 10:34 AM

Maybe you'll like this better?

Jim Owczarski

http://PackersNews.com has learned the #Packers are interested in former #Bengals offensive line coach Frank Pollack - interview expected. Pollack and new head coach Matt LaFleur worked together in Houston.

An eight-year NFL veteran as a player, Pollack entered the NFL as a coach in 2007, serving as an assistant offensive line coach on Gary Kubiak’s staff in Houston with current Packers coach Matt LaFleur.

He later served one year as the offensive line coach of the Oakland Raiders before spending the next five years coaching the offensive line of the Dallas Cowboys, including the final three leading one of the most dominant groups in the NFL. In Dallas, he coached three All-Pro offensive linemen and helped the Cowboys become one of the most productive running teams in the NFL.

Last season, Pollack pieced together a workable offensive line in Cincinnati, helping Bengals running back Joe Mixon average 4.9 yards per carry and reducing the team’s sack percentage by almost a full percentage point over 2017.

According to Optimum Scouting’s Justis Mosqueda, who developed a new rating system for offensive line coaches based on sacks and tackles for losses allowed, Pollack ranked fifth in the NFL during the 2018 season.

pbmax
01-17-2019, 11:54 AM
Maybe you'll like this better?

I do. Just read about this. He followed one of KYPack's favorite O line coaches, Paul Alexander.

Its been a weird offseason for him. First it was reported he was safe within the new staff (https://www.cincyjungle.com/2019/1/11/18174322/nfl-news-bengals-darrin-simmons-frank-pollack-coach) and then he was reported to be out (https://www.cincyjungle.com/2019/1/15/18184263/bengals-rumors-coach-frank-pollack-outhttps://www.cincyjungle.com/2019/1/15/18184263/bengals-rumors-coach-frank-pollack-out), before reporting suggested he left of his own volition (https://www.cincyjungle.com/2019/1/15/18184263/bengals-rumors-coach-frank-pollack-out).

He has a nice background. Got a nice run game going, developed by himself and Bill Lazor so he has some ideas developed outside of the ShannyVerse. It ranked 14th in DVOA (not fantastic) but he had two marginal starters on the line and an injured LT.

His departure could have been hastened because there are reports that Zac Taylor is interested in Bill Callahan (OL coach for the Redskins). Callahan has held positions from line coach to OC inches time.

pbmax
01-17-2019, 12:06 PM
Though I think I like Bill Callahan as an OL coach even more.

pbmax
01-17-2019, 06:45 PM
Return of the Getsy

The #Packers have shown a strong interest in bringing back WRs coach Luke Getsy, who is currently the OC at Miss. St. If feeling is mutual, he would return. His hiring would surround Rodgers with a coach he respects and knows. He spent 4 years in GB, the last as WRs coach.

As WR coach or QB coach?

Bretsky
01-17-2019, 09:47 PM
There should ne two old people on each staff. Usually its the O line coach and the D coordinator. I would allow a substitute for the ST coach.

I was asking you a deeper question; stop taking me at face value :)))

My real question was is is surprising that MF may be having a hard time putting together a veteran.....or perception wise a highly qualified staff and there might be some reaches ?

AND I KNOW....there are greater concerns.....aka.....playcaller…..and MARCIA MARCIA being JERRY JONES

Bretsky
01-17-2019, 09:48 PM
Though I think I like Bill Callahan as an OL coach even more.

Guys like Callahan and Munchak were well known elite OL coaches

Bretsky
01-17-2019, 09:49 PM
Return of the Getsy

The #Packers have shown a strong interest in bringing back WRs coach Luke Getsy, who is currently the OC at Miss. St. If feeling is mutual, he would return. His hiring would surround Rodgers with a coach he respects and knows. He spent 4 years in GB, the last as WRs coach.

As WR coach or QB coach?

I liked him as a WR coach

pbmax
01-18-2019, 07:27 AM
I was asking you a deeper question; stop taking me at face value :)))

My real question was is is surprising that MF may be having a hard time putting together a veteran.....or perception wise a highly qualified staff and there might be some reaches ?

AND I KNOW....there are greater concerns.....aka.....playcaller…..and MARCIA MARCIA being JERRY JONES

Older only means better if they know your system or are head and shoulder about everyone else. The one thing the Shanny offense has is today's version of ZBS, so I am not holding that against him in an OL coach.

We'll see about the rest. Pettine is a pro football vet. Hackett has been coaching for 18 years. They aren't bereft of experience. The only guys mentioned so far that seem young are the assistant SF OL guy and Getsy.

pbmax
01-18-2019, 07:28 AM
Guys like Callahan and Munchak were well known elite OL coaches

Sure, but in language terms, if they speak French and your offense is in Portuguese, its not going to work, is it?

mraynrand
01-18-2019, 09:20 AM
Sure, but in language terms, if they speak French and your offense is in Portuguese, its not going to work, is it?

wait, who is speaking French?

pbmax
01-18-2019, 09:54 AM
wait, who is speaking French?

Munchak and Callahan are famous Francophiles.

pbmax
01-18-2019, 03:12 PM
They are going young.

The #Packers have hired #49ers assistant offensive line coach Adam Stenavich to become their offensive line coach, per source.

QBME
01-18-2019, 03:29 PM
They are going young.

The #Packers have hired #49ers assistant offensive line coach Adam Stenavich to become their offensive line coach, per source.

I read his understandably short bio. I like his degree from Michigan and it looks like he's worked in programs that kept him moving along. I like it but I am a neophyte in these issues.

pbmax
01-18-2019, 03:42 PM
I read his understandably short bio. I like his degree from Michigan and it looks like he's worked in programs that kept him moving along. I like it but I am a neophyte in these issues.

There is a definite run game component to his offense that might require some familiarity. I suspect if he had gotten a different OC, one of the guys from the 49ers, they might have not needed that expertise on the line. Hard to say though.

Run blocking is its own thing unless you are the TE coach.

Bretsky
01-18-2019, 05:11 PM
They are going young.

More blind faith needed

One good thing about this guy; he's from Wisconsin

mraynrand
01-18-2019, 05:15 PM
More blind faith needed

One good thing about this guy; he's from Wisconsin

Relax. Just need to draft more guys, like Rodgers, who don't need development or coaching.

Bretsky
01-18-2019, 05:20 PM
Relax. Just need to draft more guys, like Rodgers, who don't need development or coaching.

VERY TRUE

I'm not panicking; just kinda disappointed

If I was looking for a Wisconsin based coach for our OL I'd look no further than Joe Rudolph

mraynrand
01-18-2019, 05:22 PM
VERY TRUE

I'm not panicking; just kinda disappointed

If I was looking for a Wisconsin based coach for our OL I'd look no further than Joe Rudolph

Forget the coaches - they are overrated. Just draft talented guys and let 'em run around. That's the secret of all great coaches.

Bretsky
01-18-2019, 05:32 PM
Forget the coaches - they are overrated. Just draft talented guys and let 'em run around. That's the secret of all great coaches.

Interesting concept to embrace or not
Think of the guy who you consider to be great coaches

I think your views apply pretty well to college BB and maybe pro BB; maybe college FB as well

With 50 players and so many coaches, I think your views might least apply to the NFL

mraynrand
01-18-2019, 08:02 PM
^^^ I was being facetious. You have to have coaching and talent. Packers coaching was sclerotic and they lack talent. By 2020 I think they could be back. No way to know at this point. It's all wide open.

pbmax
01-18-2019, 10:15 PM
Packer Report on JSO guy’s scoop

As @JimOwczarski reported, the #Packers have hired Kirk Olivadotti. Olivadotti has spent most of his coaching career with the inside linebackers, including last five in Washington

Joemailman
01-18-2019, 10:34 PM
https://www.profootballrumors.com/green-bay-packers-news-rumors

The Packers made several moves today to help fill out new coach Matt LaFleur’s inaugural staff. First the team hired 49ers assistant offensive line coach Adam Stenavich to be their offensive line coach, sources told Matt Maiocco of NBC Sports (Twitter link). We heard a couple of days ago Green Bay was granted permission to interview him, and now they’ve made the move. Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News tweeted several hours before Maiocco broke the news that the Jets also had interest in Stenavich to be their offensive line coach. Stenavich was on the Packers’ practice squad in 2006 during his playing days as an offensive tackle.

The team is also hiring Kirk Olivadotti to be their linebackers coach, tweets Jim Owczarski of the Milwuakee Journal Sentinel. Up until now Olivadotti had served in the same position with the Redskins. LaFleur served on Washington’s staff as quarterbacks coach while Olivadotti was there, so the hire makes sense. LaFleur will also be retaining Jason Simmons, the secondary coach who has been on the staff in Green Bay since 2011, tweets Rob Demovsky of ESPN.

In a separate tweet Demovsky notes that the Packers completed their interview with Luke Getsy. A source told Demovsky that Getsy interviewed for both the quarterbacks and receivers coach openings, but left town without signing a contract. Jason Wilde of ESPN followed up with a tweet of his own, saying that quarterback Aaron Rodgers “thinks very highly of Getsy and has a lot of respect for him.”

Getsy served on the Packers’ staff under Mike McCarthy from 2014-17 before leaving to take a job as Mississippi State’s offensive coordinator last year. The Packers have been making a bunch of moves to bring guys in from different organizations, and are now close to filling out LaFleur’s staff.

The Shadow
01-19-2019, 10:41 AM
I hope the Packers create a bubble screen play run behind LaFleur's eyebrows.

pbmax
01-19-2019, 02:22 PM
OL coach not a done deal yet.

Tom Silverstein
Am told Stenavich as #Packers OL coach isn’t official. It could go that way but LaFleur was still interviewing people today. The #Browns announced they had hired James Campen’s asst, Jeff Blasko, which means #Packers need OL and asst OL.

Fritz
01-19-2019, 03:41 PM
If Matt LeFleur had watched enough game tape from Green Bay, he'd have made hiring the ST coach his first priority.

On a related note, Ron Zook is interviewing for an assistant special teams coaching position for the Appleton Applejacks PeeWee team.

mraynrand
01-19-2019, 04:11 PM
If Matt LeFleur had watched enough game tape from Green Bay, he'd have made hiring the ST coach his first priority.

On a related note, Ron Zook is interviewing for an assistant special teams coaching position for the Appleton Applejacks PeeWee team.

Take a knee in the end zone. That was easy.

pbmax
01-20-2019, 12:09 PM
Here comes the run it brigade:

https://madison.com/wsj/sports/football/professional/run-to-daylight-matt-lafleur-wants-to-make-aaron-rodgers/article_41eae462-3f72-52e7-bb8f-8e798d5f0f71.html

There are so many things wrong with this piece. But instead of a screed, I will mention just this:

No one is suggesting that Rodgers is philosophically opposed to running the football. He’s seen with his own eyes what a productive run game can do, having had a back-to-back 1,200-yard rusher in Ryan Grant at running back for his first two seasons as the starter (2008, 2009). Then, in 2013 and 2014, Rodgers had a back-to-back 1,100-yard rusher in Eddie Lacy in the backfield with him.

Having one 1,200 yard rusher is immaterial to the premise that they should run more. If 1,200 is your threshold, why does it matter if its one back or two?

In 2008, Grant had 312 carries for 1203 yards and a 3.86 ypc. Packers record was 6-10. Following year, Grant was 282 carries for 1253 and 4.44 ypc and the Packers were 11-5.

In 2010 and 11, they were north of 1000 yards but with two or more backs splitting it up. Those years were pretty good for the team. The 2010 ypc was south of 4 I believe, it was much better in 2011.

Having a 1,200 yard rusher is just accumulation by one player. It does not tell you if the offense was effective.

Also, a reminder. Not only do winning teams tend to run late in the game with a lead (the converse severely depressed the Packers run numbers the last two years) you do NOT need to run to have play action be effective. Multiple studies have shown this. The reason? Defenses are taught from the opening minute of the coaching meetings that their #1 job is to stop the run. Somewhere we have a portion of Capers D playbook. Its first paragraph is devoted to the importance of stopping the run.

bobblehead
01-20-2019, 12:45 PM

https://madison.com/wsj/sports/football/professional/run-to-daylight-matt-lafleur-wants-to-make-aaron-rodgers/article_41eae462-3f72-52e7-bb8f-8e798d5f0f71.html

There are so many things wrong with this piece. But instead of a screed, I will mention just this:

Having one 1,200 yard rusher is immaterial to the premise that they should run more. If 1,200 is your threshold, why does it matter if its one back or two?

In 2008, Grant had 312 carries for 1203 yards and a 3.86 ypc. Packers record was 6-10. Following year, Grant was 282 carries for 1253 and 4.44 ypc and the Packers were 11-5.

In 2010 and 11, they were north of 1000 yards but with two or more backs splitting it up. Those years were pretty good for the team. The 2010 ypc was south of 4 I believe, it was much better in 2011.

Having a 1,200 yard rusher is just accumulation by one player. It does not tell you if the offense was effective.

Also, a reminder. Not only do winning teams tend to run late in the game with a lead (the converse severely depressed the Packers run numbers the last two years) you do NOT need to run to have play action be effective. Multiple studies have shown this. The reason? Defenses are taught from the opening minute of the coaching meetings that their #1 job is to stop the run. Somewhere we have a portion of Capers D playbook. Its first paragraph is devoted to the importance of stopping the run.

The key here is running it effectively and consistently to set up favorable down/distance. Also wears down DL and D in general while keeping other teams offense off rhythm. I never advocated for smash mouth football, but when fat mike got ARod back against Carolina after injury and ran 9 times that game after we were very effective running the ball with Hundly I increased my calls for his head on a platter. MMs calling of the run in specific formations at specific late times in game might as well have been taking a knee.

texaspackerbacker
01-20-2019, 01:02 PM
I absolutely HOPE that article is pure journalistic speculation i.e. bullshit. Running on early downs in the great majority of cases is wasting downs and making the QB's job more difficult with the pressure of second and long or third and long. Run the ball RARELY - as a change of pace. Virtually any running play called other than a yard to go at the goal line should have a RPO attached, with the QB going to the pass option way more often than not.

Of course, if you're the Badgers instead of the Packers - a great O Line, a superstar RB, and crap at QB (the past few years anyway), then running on first down makes sense. That obviously is not the case with the Packers, more like exactly the opposite.

gbgary
01-20-2019, 01:34 PM
running attempts (for balance sake) means nothing if you're going 3 and out. no one gets worn out except your d from being on the field all game long. move the chains, keep their d on the field, by any means possible. if we're gashing them with the run, keep it up. if the opposite is happening, forget about it.

Fritz
01-20-2019, 01:39 PM
I absolutely HOPE that article is pure journalistic speculation i.e. bullshit. Running on early downs in the great majority of cases is wasting downs and making the QB's job more difficult with the pressure of second and long or third and long. Run the ball RARELY - as a change of pace. Virtually any running play called other than a yard to go at the goal line should have a RPO attached, with the QB going to the pass option way more often than not.

Of course, if you're the Badgers instead of the Packers - a great O Line, a superstar RB, and crap at QB (the past few years anyway), then running on first down makes sense. That obviously is not the case with the Packers, more like exactly the opposite.

Remember what Jenny said: "Run, Forrest, run!"

mraynrand
01-20-2019, 03:30 PM

My rebuttal: It is a passing league. Maybe, if you have a solid line, and chance upon excellent running backs and/or your line is better at run blocking, and/or you have a marginal or awful QB, you make it a significant element of your offense. Otherwise, you use it as a changeup weapon to keep the defense on it's toes, run the clock mostly late, and not much else.

pbmax
01-20-2019, 03:54 PM
My rebuttal: It is a passing league. Maybe, if you have a solid line, and chance upon excellent running backs and/or your line is better at run blocking, and/or you have a marginal or awful QB, you make it a significant element of your offense. Otherwise, you use it as a changeup weapon to keep the defense on it's toes, run the clock mostly late, and not much else.

This can be true. There is a market opportunity to collect great run pieces at a discount.

Problem is you will need a passing game and a talented run team will be hard pressed to play quickly or catchup.

It’s wasnt a problem in the 60s (pre merger NFL) or the 70s but now you need to score a LOT more. A good team will load up versus your run game and dare you to pass.

I think last years Jags took the run offense concept as far as it can go.

You need a QB which requires serious resources which means less of something else.

pbmax
01-20-2019, 03:58 PM
I agree with Bobble to this extent. I think the run game should be a constraint play.

If the defense plays it light or empties the box, you run.

If your O line blocks well and you average over 5 per carry, the run some more. You just need to not be empty backfield to make play action work.

But it’s a make the defense pay for adjusting strategy mostly. Until the end of game clock eating begins.

texaspackerbacker
01-20-2019, 04:58 PM
Even I would agree with that, but the fact is, that description just ain't the Packers. And of course, what the D is set up to stop has a lot to do with what you do. Bottom line, though, is don't run to set up the pass; Pass to set up an occasional run.

Anti-Polar Bear
01-21-2019, 03:19 AM

Yo, I’m head coach of that team. Fortunately, the African-American population in cold, dark and dull Appleton has increased to the point that now all of my corners are black. My QBs are always pale-skinned. Ditto, my OL. My WRs and LBers are mixed.

Yes, I assign kids according to their skin pigments. Parents like Partial don’t like my methods, but know what I tell them?

Blame the fucked up system, a system whose first 3 letters rhymes with “Kap.” We are all incarcerated in a system in which greed, inequality, prejudice and corruption are infectious norms. I’m merely preparing the kids for the abominations they will face upon entering the cold, dark and dull work force in adulthood. [/satire]

Btw, I’m curious about what my pals Nutz and Harlan, as well as Madtown, think of LaFluer. Anyone knows? They haven’t posted their opinions yet. :)

Fosco33
01-21-2019, 07:50 AM
Think we’ll get Rizzi as ST coordinator. He is HC material so it’ll take a better title... heard good things about him. It’d be nice not to lose multiple games a year to special teams.

Fritz
01-21-2019, 08:05 AM
I agree with Bobble to this extent. I think the run game should be a constraint play.

If the defense plays it light or empties the box, you run.

If your O line blocks well and you average over 5 per carry, the run some more. You just need to not be empty backfield to make play action work.

But it’s a make the defense pay for adjusting strategy mostly. Until the end of game clock eating begins.

Yet on the drive that put NE in front if KC with 3:50 or so left in the game, NE ran and ran and ran some more. Interesting.

pbmax
01-21-2019, 08:25 AM
Think we’ll get Rizzi as ST coordinator. He is HC material so it’ll take a better title... heard good things about him. It’d be nice not to lose multiple games a year to special teams.

He left without a deal. Doesn't have to mean something (Haslett left town too) but its not done yet.

pbmax
01-21-2019, 08:26 AM
Yet on the drive that put NE in front if KC with 3:50 or so left in the game, NE ran and ran and ran some more. Interesting.

NE was heavy with Gronk in line to block. KC had the pass rushers in. Had been playing that game all evening. Matchups.

pbmax
01-21-2019, 09:21 AM
Jim Owczarski @JimOwczarski
As this continues to play out, perhaps the #Packers will re-examine #Bengals ST asst. Brayden Coombs. By my count still several ST coordinator openings out there.

#Packers are starting to explore other options for special teams coach. They interviewed #Dolphins ST coach Darren Rizzi last week, but they must not have bowled him over because there has been no hire. His only visit so far has been GB and they let him leave without a deal.

mraynrand
01-21-2019, 10:26 AM
I'd like the Packers to hire a special teams penalty co-ordinator. He could spend time during the week co-ordinating how not to hold and block from behind. Maybe they could hire me (Or Red). My abbreviated co-ordinator playbook:

1) STOP FUCKING BLOCKING FROM BEHIND
2) STOP FUCKING GRABBING

Fritz
01-21-2019, 11:04 AM
NE was heavy with Gronk in line to block. KC had the pass rushers in. Had been playing that game all evening. Matchups.

But whoever called those run plays, over and over down the stretch, had the cojones to take the ball out of Brady's hands.

mraynrand
01-21-2019, 11:06 AM
But whoever called those run plays, over and over down the stretch, had the cojones to take the ball out of Brady's hands.

It was Brady, or at least Brady was on board. It was all about alignment and personnel. Almost every time when KC went heavy to stop the run, NE passed and vice versa.

pbmax
01-21-2019, 11:49 AM

Oh, I think they were in bleed clock mode. And they probably had pass/run calls and Brady was calling run (or not calling it off) based on personnel or pre-snap reads.

pbmax
01-21-2019, 11:56 AM
It was Brady, or at least Brady was on board. It was all about alignment and personnel. Almost every time when KC went heavy to stop the run, NE passed and vice versa.

Everything you need to know about the NFL was contained in the 2001 Packers-Ravens game.

Joemailman
01-21-2019, 12:36 PM
I'm guessing this will not go over well here.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/21/packers-lose-special-teams-darren-rizzi-coach/

Green Bay Packers president Mark Murphy must not be willing to pay top dollar to fix his team’s disastrous special teams.

According to a report from Tom Silverstein of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, the Packers won’t be hiring top available special teams coach Darren Rizzi, with cost believed to be the deal breaker in negotiations.

Packers coach Matt LaFleur met with Rizzi in Green Bay last Tuesday but the two sides weren’t able to reach a deal.

An associate head coach in Miami under Adam Gase and one of the NFL’s best special teams coordinators of the last decade, Rizzi could have provided much-needed experience on the coaching staff for LaFleur and an immediate fix for the Packers’ flat-lined special teams group.

Instead, the Packers will have to look elsewhere.

Rizzi, who interviewed for the Dolphins’ head-coaching job, likely wanted to be paid as a top assistant to take the job under LaFleur in Green Bay. The Packers, who are paying the first year of LaFleur’s new deal and the final year of Mike McCarthy’s contract, reportedly balked at Rizzi’s demands.

It doesn’t sound as if the fit between LaFleur and Rizzi was a problem. Per Silverstein, the two had a “great visit” in Green Bay last week.

pbmax
01-21-2019, 12:39 PM
Astoundingly dumb. Other than a hail mary to Bonamego, who else of any certainty is out there?

Rutnstrut
01-21-2019, 01:36 PM

Yet Brady didn't continually audible out and throw it downfield. It would be nice to have a QB that wants the team to win even if it means less glory for him.

Rutnstrut
01-21-2019, 01:37 PM
Astoundingly dumb. Other than a hail mary to Bonamego, who else of any certainty is out there?

Red?

pbmax
01-21-2019, 01:40 PM
Yet Brady didn't continually audible out and throw it downfield. It would be nice to have a QB that wants the team to win even if it means less glory for him.

Yeah, I have never seen Rodgers audible into a run call.

run pMc
01-21-2019, 05:29 PM

You mean run when they are thinking pass, and pass when they are thinking run? AMAZING.

I think you need some semblance or threat of a running game, but unless it's the strength of your offense, I'm fine with not running a lot. That's assuming you don't consider short passes as part of the running game. I'd like to see the Packers effectively develop that more. (By "effectively", I don't mean resurrecting the 2 yard catch and fall down starring DickRod.)

Surround Rodgers with players who can run routes, catch and turn up the field for a couple of yards. Avoid 3rd down completely if possible. Adjust your scheme to your players, and don't send everyone out on 15 yard routes when the Bears are blitzing 6 on 3rd and 4.

I agree it shouldn't matter if a team gets 1200 yards from one back or two; it's still production. I would argue that if you have one back getting that many yards it means your team is probably running the ball a lot.

mraynrand
01-21-2019, 05:33 PM
You mean run when they are thinking pass, and pass when they are thinking run? AMAZING.

I trademarked this strategy years ago. The royalties have kept me in beer and skittles ever since.

mraynrand
01-21-2019, 05:34 PM
Yeah, I have never seen Rodgers audible into a run call.

you actually need a for this one...

;)

Bretsky
01-21-2019, 07:04 PM

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/21/packers-lose-special-teams-darren-rizzi-coach/

What a F'ckin surprise

Just hire another dickwad from the U of Illinois; they are check

MARCIA MARCIA MARCIA HOW I DESPISE YOU MARCIA

Joemailman
01-21-2019, 07:10 PM
What a F'ckin surprise

Just hire another dickwad from the U of Illinois; they are check

What if he was asking for more money than the Packers were paying their OC and DC? Would you pay your STC more than them?

Bretsky
01-21-2019, 07:13 PM
What if he was asking for more money than the Packers were paying their OC and DC? Would you pay your STC more than them?

We didn't exactly amaze frickin anybody with out OC hire to start. To answer your question I'm not sure. But our ST have sucked since Nolan Crowwell ?

How over qualified is he as a ST coach ? Good enough to give a title to ?

He hears on NFL network a couple days ago he pretty much will have the choice of which job he wants; is there a reason for a ST ace to want to come to GB ?

Sometimes ya gotta just close the deal...nad maybe overpay...…….or end up with an asswipe from ILL

pbmax
01-21-2019, 07:17 PM
It is an interesting question and we will NEVER get an answer unless it had nothing to do with the paycheck.

He is one of the few qualified available and there are six or so openings. You had to know going it the ask would be big.

#HireJonBonamego

Joemailman
01-21-2019, 07:19 PM
We didn't exactly amaze frickin anybody with out OC hire to start. To answer your question I'm not sure. But our ST have sucked since Nolan Crowwell ?

How over qualified is he as a ST coach ? Good enough to give a title to ?

He hears on NFL network a couple days ago he pretty much will have the choice of which job he wants; is there a reason for a ST ace to want to come to GB ?

Sometimes ya gotta just close the deal...nad maybe overpay...…….or end up with an asswipe from ILL

They need to get better at ST, but that doesn't mean they need to pay huge bucks to get the best ST guy out there. Remember, Packers won a Super Bowl with Slocum running ST. Rizzi has been an outstanding ST coach for a number of years at Miami. What has Miami won? You don't need to be great at ST. You just need to be not terrible.

Joemailman
01-21-2019, 07:27 PM
https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/21/potential-st-coordinator-options-for-matt-lafleur-packers/

Unless they get Bonamego, Packers will probably go with a guy who was Asst. ST Coach with a team that was good at ST. Which, I suppose, is probably how it usually works.

Bretsky
01-21-2019, 07:33 PM
It is an interesting question and we will NEVER get an answer unless it had nothing to do with the paycheck.

He is one of the few qualified available and there are six or so openings. You had to know going it the ask would be big.

#HireJonBonamego

BINGO

Go Big or Go Home; apparently we know which way GB went

Bretsky
01-21-2019, 07:35 PM
https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/21/potential-st-coordinator-options-for-matt-lafleur-packers/

Unless they get Bonamego, Packers will probably go with a guy who was Asst. ST Coach with a team that was good at ST. Which, I suppose, is probably how it usually works.

KInd of like our HC, well....without the good offense part

I'm J/K...………...well kind of ………...he was a guy who I said all along I'd be ok with

Joemailman
01-21-2019, 10:08 PM
Luke Getsy to be new QB coach:

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/21/report-packers-hiring-luke-getsy-as-new-qbs-coach/

Matt LaFleur and the Green Bay Packers are bringing back one of the bright young assistants from Mike McCarthy’s tenure to coach Aaron Rodgers.

According to Rob Demovsky of ESPN, LaFleur has convinced Mississippi State offensive coordinator Luke Getsy – who served on McCarthy’s offensive staff from 2014-17 – to return to Green Bay as the Packers new quarterbacks coach.

Rob Demovsky

@RobDemovsky
The Packers are bringing back Luke Getsy as quarterbacks coach, according to sources. Getsy coached the Packers receivers before becoming Mississippi State's offensive coordinator last season. http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-41053632-4 …

8:58 PM - Jan 21, 2019

Getsy and Rodgers are believed to be close. In fact, Getsy told The Clarion Ledger last year that he and Rodgers had a “really good” relationship, which might have been a selling point for bringing him back to Green Bay.

“I really enjoyed my time with him,” Getsy said. “I was truly lucky and truly blessed to have an open dialogue with him. We grew close and it truly was a blessing to be where I was. He’s a great teammate, a great friend and he is a really good man. He truly is. I think he is reserved enough that people may think he kind of turns people off, but, no, he’s energetic, he’s enthusiastic, he’s charismatic, he’s hilarious. He’s got a lot going for him.”

pbmax
01-21-2019, 10:24 PM
I want to hate this move. But he was an OC in college, right?

Maybe this is good. But he looks like a caddy when its written up like this.

Joemailman
01-21-2019, 10:40 PM
I think I read last week that Getsy and Rodgers had a pretty good rapport when Getsy was WR's coach. Getsy left for a year to get work as OC at Miss. St. This seems like a pretty logical move for him. Hopefully he's not a caddy but an up and comer. This might clear way for Dorrell to get WR coach job.

pbmax
01-21-2019, 10:53 PM
No on Angelicho.

#Packers TE coach Brian Angelichio won't return as first thought. Matt LaFleur has decided to hire #Falcons quality control / asst. OL coach Justin Outten to replace him. Angelichio is another one of the McCarthy position coaches who won't be back. He'll find another job.

Bretsky
01-21-2019, 10:58 PM
I think I read last week that Getsy and Rodgers had a pretty good rapport when Getsy was WR's coach. Getsy left for a year to get work as OC at Miss. St. This seems like a pretty logical move for him. Hopefully he's not a caddy but an up and comer. This might clear way for Dorrell to get WR coach job.

LOVE THE HIRE

Joemailman
01-21-2019, 11:09 PM
No on Angelicho.

#Packers TE coach Brian Angelichio won't return as first thought. Matt LaFleur has decided to hire #Falcons quality control / asst. OL coach Justin Outten to replace him. Angelichio is another one of the McCarthy position coaches who won't be back. He'll find another job.

Wow. Now here's a guy with a short resume:

https://www.atlantafalcons.com/team/coaches-roster/justin-outten

Justin Outten is entering his second season as an offensive assistant for the Falcons. Before joining the staff full time, Outten was as an offensive intern for the Falcons during the 2016 season. Before joining the Falcons, he worked at Spring Westfield High School as the Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Coordinator/Offensive Line Coach from 2008-16. During that time, he helped coached 24 offensive linemen that received scholarships to play on the collegiate level, and he also coached one high school All-American during his time at the high school.

Before coaching at Spring Westfield, Outten worked as a graduate assistant at Syracuse University where he worked with the offensive line from 2007-08. Outten played at Syracuse from 2002-07, where he was the starting center for three years. During his time playing for the Orange, he was selected as a team captain and played a part in his team become Big East Champions in 2004. Outten was also a recipient of the Ray Martino Award for loyalty, enthusiasm, and perseverance.

Pugger
01-21-2019, 11:27 PM

I heard speculation that Rizzi wants to be more than just a ST cooridinator (perhaps assist HC?) and to be paid accordingly. :cnf:

call_me_ishmael
01-22-2019, 12:16 AM
I like the young coaching staff, but LaFleur himself just seems so meh to me. I like him on paper but in that press conference he was so timid and meek.

Fritz
01-22-2019, 06:57 AM
I know a couple of nice high school boys looking for summer jobs. Very enthusiastic, lots of school spirit . Maybe one of them could coach tight ends for training camp, until school starts in September.

mraynrand
01-22-2019, 07:23 AM
I know a couple of nice high school boys looking for summer jobs. Very enthusiastic, lots of school spirit . Maybe one of them could coach tight ends for training camp, until school starts in September.

You really want to save some coin, think two words: work release.

Fosco33
01-22-2019, 09:22 AM
You really want to save some coin, think two words: work release.

Maybe sharper can be DB coach? Just get him a headset?

(Kidding - that pos needs to rot in jail)

pbmax
01-22-2019, 04:48 PM
Marques Eversoll @MarquesEversoll
Source: #Jaguars assistant special teams coordinator Mike Mallory spotted at the airport in Green Bay after visiting with the #Packers today.

Fritz knows its best not to win the offseason. Well, the Packers have been doing bang up job on that front. :D

The Shadow
01-22-2019, 06:12 PM
Getsy to a nunnery!

Joemailman
01-22-2019, 06:26 PM
Source: #Jaguars assistant special teams coordinator Mike Mallory spotted at the airport in Green Bay after visiting with the #Packers today.

Fritz knows its best not to win the offseason. Well, the Packers have been doing bang up job on that front. :D

Even for Green Bay in January, that's a slow news day.

Bretsky
01-22-2019, 07:18 PM
I want to hate this move. But he was an OC in college, right?

Maybe this is good. But he looks like a caddy when its written up like this.

He was an OC in two years in college

Compared to the other Yahoos MattyFloor is hiring this guy is grossly overqualified

Joemailman
01-22-2019, 07:33 PM

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/22/packers-interview-mike-mallory-for-special-teams-job/

Mallory has been coordinating special teams in the NFL since 2008. He served five years (2008-12) as the assistant special teams coordinator for the New Orleans Saints before leaving to be the coordinator for the Jaguars in 2013. He held that role for three seasons before being demoted to assistant special teams coordinator in 2017 under Joe DeCamillis.

The Jaguars ranked fourth in special teams DVOA in 2018, according to Football Outsiders.

Don't like the recent career trajectory. Would like to know more details.

Bretsky
01-22-2019, 07:38 PM
https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/22/packers-interview-mike-mallory-for-special-teams-job/

Am I the only one raising my eye brows at some of these hires ?

mraynrand
01-22-2019, 07:39 PM
He served five years (2008-12) as the assistant special teams coordinator for the New Orleans Saints before leaving to be the coordinator for the Jaguars in 2013.

His squad gave up a TD to Cobb in his first game as a pro.

Joemailman
01-22-2019, 08:07 PM

The TE coach is the only hire I'm questioning at this point. (Mallory hasn't been hired). The fact that they're hiring an OL coach to coach TE's might suggest that blocking from TE's will be a priority. Rams did not throw a lot to TE's in 2017 when LaFleur was OC. They didn't this year either.

pbmax
01-22-2019, 08:18 PM
Even for Green Bay in January, that's a slow news day.

That guy is a source for GB news folks. I assume he works at the airport?

pbmax
01-22-2019, 08:21 PM
The TE coach is the only hire I'm questioning at this point. (Mallory hasn't been hired). The fact that they're hiring an OL coach to coach TE's might suggest that blocking from TE's will be a priority. Rams did not throw a lot to TE's in 2017 when LaFleur was OC. They didn't this year either.

Great. From one coach who wanted a do everything TE to play FB to a coach who thinks its an extra Tackle.

Patler
01-22-2019, 08:34 PM

New head coach brought in his own guy as coordinator, and kept Mallory as assistant.

pbmax
01-23-2019, 11:07 AM
Tom Silverstein strikes back at Packer Rats

#Packers finished 32nd in Rick Gosselin’s special teams rankings. Now you know why it was necessary for them to land former #Dolphins ST coordinator Darren Rizzi, whose units ranked 4th. The rest of the field isn’t good. Here’s Rick’s rankings:

Gosselin Ranking: https://t.co/PipCgtuSba

Fritz
01-23-2019, 11:16 AM
Getsy to a nunnery!

That was a good one.

As for Mike Mallory, I actually knew him, albeit peripherally, back in the day at Michigan. He was one of the less assholish players on the team. In fact, he was pretty nice. Which means he'd be a terrible special teams coach.

run pMc
01-23-2019, 02:29 PM

Nope.

run pMc
01-23-2019, 02:38 PM
Great. From one coach who wanted a do everything TE to play FB to a coach who thinks its an extra Tackle.

I am hopeful they will adjust their scheme to fit the players. I think that probably means we won't have a Delanie Walker-type at TE, even if they hold onto Jimmy Graham. If using more blocking TE's helps the run game and protects Rodgers from getting hit I'm ok with it. I don't know about hiring a guy who was basically a high school gym teacher two years ago though.

Fritz
01-23-2019, 02:43 PM
I think that's what the good coaches do - adjust the schemes to the strengths of the players he has.

denverYooper
01-23-2019, 02:44 PM
Tonyan will be the next George Kittle

mraynrand
01-23-2019, 02:56 PM
Tonyan will be the next George Kittle

I believe you

pbmax
01-23-2019, 02:59 PM
I am hopeful they will adjust their scheme to fit the players. I think that probably means we won't have a Delanie Walker-type at TE, even if they hold onto Jimmy Graham. If using more blocking TE's helps the run game and protects Rodgers from getting hit I'm ok with it. I don't know about hiring a guy who was basically a high school gym teacher two years ago though.

I am mostly just down on the visible utility of these moves. No one knew who the hell Andy Reid was either and Holmgren had to convince him to take the TE coach position to learn the passing game in order to advance. He wanted to be the O line coach.

Shanahan Senior's offense found a way to use Shannon Sharpe, who wasn't exactly Ed West when it came to skill set. So this can still work. I am just down on the lack of overall excitement.

Andy Reid at time of hiring in GB
years coaching high school: 0
years coaching college: 9 years O line coach, 1 year grad assistant
years coaching pro: 0
first pro coaching job: offensive assistant 3 years, then became asst O line coach and TE coach in his fourth year

Justin Outten
age: 34 (extrapolated from being at Syracuse as player in 2002)
years coaching in high school: 9 years as Asst HC, offensive coordinator and O line coach
years coaching in college: 1 year Grad Assistant
years coaching pro: 3 (1 year offensive assistant, 2 years assistant O line coach)

Basically you are trading 9 years of college for 9 years of high school and the high school job had more authority. Outten also is 3 years of pro work ahead of Andy.

One thing I did not realize is that Outten was a quality control/offensive assistant during one year of Shanahan/LaFleur in Atlanta (2016). So theoretically he knows the offense, not just O line stuff.

pbmax
01-23-2019, 03:00 PM
I think that's what the good coaches do - adjust the schemes to the strengths of the players he has.

If true, and I believe it is, there are about 9 good coaches in the NFL and not all of them are HCs.

Bretsky
01-23-2019, 03:43 PM
If true, and I believe it is, there are about 9 good coaches in the NFL and not all of them are HCs.

CAPTAIN OBVIOUS.....HG2

Seriously, you were the visionary that noted, I think, that GB has a 30% change of improving it's staff with all this change.

That is why I was NOT on board for so so long to can MM's ass. It was not that he was that good; but I feared we would not improve.

When I finally embraced the idea, I was hopeful GB would hire HG2, a superstar from college, or at least a riser well known within the coaching circles (not many of them) so they had the connections to put a great staff together. I keep seeing guys I want (Tom Clements....etc etc etc.....getting hired by others when we seem to settle for much less.....appearance wise.

That doesn't mean these yahoo's aren't turning into superstar stud coaches, but DAM.....from the looks of some of their resumes if I'd have continued coaching coacing defense for the HS Freshman team, I frickin think MattyFloor might have hired me as the Tight Ends or Special Teams coach of the Green Bay frickin Packers.

pbmax
01-23-2019, 03:51 PM
CAPTAIN OBVIOUS.....HG2

Seriously, you were the visionary that noted, I think, that GB has a 30% change of improving it's staff with all this change.

That is why I was NOT on board for so so long to can MM's ass. It was not that he was that good; but I feared we would not improve.

When I finally embraced the idea, I was hopeful GB would hire HG2, a superstar from college, or at least a riser well known within the coaching circles (not many of them) so they had the connections to put a great staff together. I keep seeing guys I want (Tom Clements....etc etc etc.....getting hired by others when we seem to settle for much less.....appearance wise.

That doesn't mean these yahoo's aren't turning into superstar stud coaches, but DAM.....from the looks of some of their resumes if I'd have continued coaching coacing defense for the HS Freshman team, I frickin think MattyFloor might have hired me as the Tight Ends or Special Teams coach of the Green Bay frickin Packers.

Its 30% with any of these guys. The college coach would have to completely adapt everything. I would be willing to risk that with Saban or David Shaw maybe, but its failed before.

Belichick the Younger has his own issues that we have seen in the pros already.

So La Fleur isn't magically below 30% already, but the staff build out shows what its like as a new head coach without a built-in infrastructure. Went through the same thing with Sherman and McCarthy. Going to take some time to adjust.

I'd be curious if he has had any second thoughts about announcing he would be the play caller right up front. It cost him his first two choices at OC.

mraynrand
01-23-2019, 03:58 PM
I'd be curious if he has had any second thoughts about announcing he would be the play caller right up front. It cost him his first two choices at OC.

Me too. The more I think about the play calling deal, the more stupid it seems to me. These guys micro-dissect down and distance and game situation so much that there can't possibly be more than a handful of plays they're gonna run on any one play, and they (HC, OC, QB) likely will agree on most. Let the OC call plays and MILF can just overrule as he wishes. Probably would only be a few plays/game. Now he has to coach and call plays. Delegate and maybe you develop a new, great talent that helps your team improve and win. If not, m you can always step in. That's good leadership.

pbmax
01-23-2019, 04:32 PM
Wouldn't brother Matt be MaLF and brother Mike be MiLF?

mraynrand
01-23-2019, 05:16 PM
Wouldn't brother Matt be MaLF and brother Mike be MiLF?

Ralph MaLF? I guess

The Shadow
01-23-2019, 06:23 PM
That was a good one.

As for Mike Mallory, I actually knew him, albeit peripherally, back in the day at Michigan. He was one of the less assholish players on the team. In fact, he was pretty nice. Which means he'd be a terrible special teams coach.

Thank you. My rapier-like repartee often goes unnoticed.

pbmax
01-24-2019, 06:01 PM
Another special teams coach the #Packers have talked to is #Giants assistant Tom Quinn. He was ST coordinator from 2007- '17. New coach Pat Shurmur fired him a year ago but brought him back as an assistant when new ST coach Thomas McGaughey was undergoing cancer treatment.

Every interview since Rizzi sounds like a Go Fund Me campaign.

Pugger
01-24-2019, 10:47 PM
Another special teams coach the #Packers have talked to is #Giants assistant Tom Quinn. He was ST coordinator from 2007- '17. New coach Pat Shurmur fired him a year ago but brought him back as an assistant when new ST coach Thomas McGaughey was undergoing cancer treatment.

Presently Rizzi is Miami's ST coordinator and associate HC. I suspect he left GB because we couldn't/wouldn't offer him a similar position.

Anti-Polar Bear
01-25-2019, 03:37 AM
For fuck’s sake, hire the infamous former Wisconsin special teams coach to coach special teams already! I’m talking ‘bout none other than Brett Bielema.

Ole Brett is good at exploiting special teams loopholes.

pbmax
01-25-2019, 09:12 AM
Green Bay Packers @packers
The #Packers have named Kirk Olivadotti inside linebackers coach, Justin Outten tight ends coach & Adam Stenavich offensive line coach ��

Packers announcement: https://t.co/q5qkqxHMUo

mraynrand
01-25-2019, 09:54 AM
Sten of a Vitch!

Anti-Polar Bear
01-25-2019, 12:24 PM
The #Packers have named Kirk Olivadotti inside linebackers coach, Justin Outten tight ends coach & Adam Stenavich offensive line coach ��

If Madtown was still posting, he'd say that this has the making of the whitest coaching staff in the NFL since the all-white 1965 Washington "Redskins." Check out the Packers' website. All of the current coaches are white, even though a "Family Guy" argument could be made to support the notion that Italians like Pettine aren't caucasiods. LaFluer has yet to officially hire a minority.

You know society is fucked up when Baby Boomers Bruce "Aryans'" staff is made up of more minorities - both of Arians OC and DC slots are filled by African-Americans, something the NFL has not seen since the Rhodes era Packers - than Millennial Lafluers'.

To quote Rand, "Sten of a Vitch!" (Son of a bitch, in Austrian, I presume.)

texaspackerbacker
01-25-2019, 12:48 PM
I was surprised to read that Bielema is only 49 years old. He's out of a job and probably filthy rich from what Arkansas paid him, so maybe he'd work cheap to get back in the game - it seems the Packers don't want to pay much for a Special Teams Coordinator. Of course, he's white, but I think you, APB, are the only one who cares one way or the other about that.

Anti-Polar Bear
01-25-2019, 01:00 PM
I was surprised to read that Bielema is only 49 years old. He's out of a job and probably filthy rich from what Arkansas paid him, so maybe he'd work cheap to get back in the game - it seems the Packers don't want to pay much for a Special Teams Coordinator. Of course, he's white, but I think you, APB, are the only one who cares one way or the other about that.

I think Bielema received or is still receiving a $11 M severance package from Arkansas. He’s rumored to be heading south to Miami to coach DL for Flores, oh fie, the only minority to receive a head coaching gig this offseason. Still, Ole Brett would look great in the Green and Gold.

Btw, I’m just doing my duty. Just reminding everyone that so long as class consciousness exists, people will always be conscious of skin pigmentations. :)

QBME
01-25-2019, 06:04 PM

OK..

Olivadotti - sounds Irish, so he has the inside scoop. Good hire.

Outten..Tight Ends, I'll leave that one to Tank as I suspect he has inside knowledge/experience.

Stenavich - as previously posted, I like it.

Joemailman
01-25-2019, 07:07 PM
https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/25/packers-hire-former-chiefs-assistant-mike-smith-as-olbs-coach/

The coach who oversaw Dee Ford’s career year with the Kansas City Chiefs is coming to Green Bay to join Matt LaFleur’s staff with the Packers.

The team announced Friday the hiring of former Chiefs outside linebackers coach Mike Smith, who will assume the same role on Mike Pettine’s defensive staff.

Green Bay Packers

@packers
The #Packers have named Mike Smith outside linebackers coach 📰https://pckrs.com/rzlaa

Smith spent last three seasons in Kansas City

Smith took over the Chiefs’ outside linebackers in 2018, helping Ford – a Pro Bowler – set new career highs in sacks (13) and forced fumbles (7). The Chiefs tallied 52 sacks and 105 quarterback hits, including 22 sacks and 41 quarterback hits between Ford and Justin Houston, Kansas City’s other starting outside linebacker.

Prior to becoming the Chiefs outside linebackers coach, Smith served two years as the team’s assistant defensive line coach.

texaspackerbacker
01-25-2019, 07:35 PM
I think Bielema received or is still receiving a $11 M severance package from Arkansas. He’s rumored to be heading south to Miami to coach DL for Flores, oh fie, the only minority to receive a head coaching gig this offseason. Still, Ole Brett would look great in the Green and Gold.

Btw, I’m just doing my duty. Just reminding everyone that so long as class consciousness exists, people will always be conscious of skin pigmentations. :)

APB, football is like quality of life in general. When it's bad for your side, nitpicking things like that come to the surface, but just as the rising tide floats all boats, economically speaking, having the team win win win makes people not care about any of that silly shit. Who was that great philosopher that said, "winning isn't everything, it's the ONLY thing".

Anyway, I think Bielema knows, a lot of people in the state of Wisconsin would start him out with two strikes against him.

Joe, that ain't the Mike Smith who used to coach the Falcons, is it?

Joemailman
01-25-2019, 07:42 PM
Joe, that ain't the Mike Smith who used to coach the Falcons, is it?

No.

Smith is entering his seventh year as a coach in the NFL. He comes to the Packers after spending the last three seasons with the Kansas City Chiefs, first as the assistant defensive line coach in 2016-17 and then coaching outside linebackers last season. In 2018, Smith coached Dee Ford, who was selected to his first Pro Bowl after tying for the NFL lead with seven forced fumbles and tying for No. 2 among NFL linebackers with a career-high 13 sacks. Prior to Kansas City, Smith coached at his alma mater, Texas Tech, serving as the co-defensive coordinator in 2013 and 2015 and the defensive coordinator for the final nine games of 2014 while also coaching outside linebackers in 2014-15 and the defensive line in 2015. Smith began his NFL coaching career with the New York Jets as a coaching intern (2010-11) and then as an outside linebackers coach (2012). His first coaching position came at the University of Hawaii tutoring linebackers in 2009. The former Red Raider linebacker (2001-04) went on to play the same position for the Baltimore Ravens for four seasons (2005-08) before his career was cut short due to injuries.

Iron Mike
01-26-2019, 07:48 AM
All of the current coaches are white, even though a "Family Guy" argument could be made to support the notion that Italians like Pettine aren't caucasiods. LaFluer has yet to officially hire a minority.

I've got a better pop culture reference than that:
https://fromtheprojectionroom.files.wordpress.com/2016/01/033.jpg

Fosco33
01-26-2019, 09:17 AM
For fuck’s sake, hire the infamous former Wisconsin special teams coach to coach special teams already! I’m talking ‘bout none other than Brett Bielema.

Ole Brett is good at exploiting special teams loopholes.

Now that is funny! The ole psu offsides kickoff play. That felt cheap when it happened.

I heard Bert was helping Patriots in some limited capacity last off-season.

Fritz
01-26-2019, 10:48 AM
There seems to be some consternation in Packerland about LeFleur hiring coaches with little experience, or in not keeping some of the old regime's assistants, like Campen. I think Dougherty had an article questioning the Stenavich hire.

But I would respond by asking, didn't we want change, most of us? Didn't we feel like the team needed a fresh start on offense?

Had LeFleur kept the old offensive assistants around, or hired retreads from other teams, I'd imagine we'd be wondering what the point of firing MM was, then.

Let's see what the kids can do. What the hell.

The days of 10-6 and a possible playoff run thanks to Rodgers may be over. So let's dive into this brave new world.

pbmax
01-26-2019, 10:49 AM
Now that is funny! The ole psu offsides kickoff play. That felt cheap when it happened.

I heard Bert was helping Patriots in some limited capacity last off-season.

Bert was in line for a job with the Dolphins and Brian Flores. But the rumor is that he might not be the first choice now after Packers run game coordinator Patrick Graham was hired as D coordinator.

Joemailman
01-26-2019, 02:23 PM
Pretty interesting story about LaFleur's football life, from growing up to present, focusing mostly on his playing days. https://www.packers.com/news/from-small-town-to-titletown

pbmax
01-26-2019, 08:37 PM
There seems to be some consternation in Packerland about LeFleur hiring coaches with little experience, or in not keeping some of the old regime's assistants, like Campen. I think Dougherty had an article questioning the Stenavich hire.

But I would respond by asking, didn't we want change, most of us? Didn't we feel like the team needed a fresh start on offense?

Had LeFleur kept the old offensive assistants around, or hired retreads from other teams, I'd imagine we'd be wondering what the point of firing MM was, then.

The days of 10-6 and a possible playoff run thanks to Rodgers may be over. So let's dive into this brave new world.

I am not saying it would have been best, but I think what we all would have agreed to want was the Rams hiring in 1997 or 98 of Dick Vermeil and his All Star Band.

pbmax
01-26-2019, 09:08 PM
Pretty interesting story about LaFleur's football life, from growing up to present, focusing mostly on his playing days. https://www.packers.com/news/from-small-town-to-titletown

Memories. We are all old.

The Oilers [LaFleur's school] were district champs during his junior year, picking up a win during a holiday tournament over eventual Class B state champion, Detroit Country Day, a team that featured future NBA champion Shane Battier and David Webber, the younger brother of Chris Webber of Michigan Fab Five fame.

Bretsky
01-27-2019, 01:14 AM

I can't open the dam thing but a funny headline in JS
Packers interview another retread for special teams coach.

denverYooper
01-27-2019, 08:25 AM

I mostly agree with this and, unless the offensive staff is blatantly incompetent (which I don't think will be the case) I think we'll see an uptick in offensive production. At the very least, we'll see what Rodgers does in a new scheme.

The new coaching staff is mostly around 40. That seems to me to be the age where you're likely to get guys in prime NFL coaching years who can bring in new ideas but also sufficient maturity to handle running an NFL team.

Pugger
01-27-2019, 08:28 AM
Did the Packers really hire Getsy or not? I haven't seen or read any official word.

Joemailman
01-27-2019, 08:41 AM
Did the Packers really hire Getsy or not? I haven't seen or read any official word.

He is not listed on the Packers website. Right now it's just:

LaFleur HC
Hackett OC
Outten TE
Sirmans RB
Stenavich OL
Pettine DC
Montgomery DL
Olivadotti ILB
Simmons DB
Smith OLB

pbmax
01-27-2019, 09:27 AM

It was reported as done but Packers did not confirm it yet.

pbmax
01-27-2019, 09:39 AM
I mostly agree with this and, unless the offensive staff is blatantly incompetent (which I don't think will be the case) I think we'll see an uptick in offensive production. At the very least, we'll see what Rodgers does in a new scheme.

The new coaching staff is mostly around 40. That seems to me to be the age where you're likely to get guys in prime NFL coaching years who can bring in new ideas but also sufficient maturity to handle running an NFL team.

I am excited about Hackett. The man created a functional offense around Blake Bortles. I don't know if he is the right fit for Rodgers, but he would seem to know how to use the run game effectively and that would be Sherman-esque, which should excite Tank. Hackett was also around Coughlin, so maybe some weird pash rush juju rubbed off on him?

I am also excited for the new LB coach. All the beat guys celebrated because this guy coaches this guy while on this team and WELL just look at the results!

But I am excited to have a former D coordinator from college arrive with perhaps some new insights and background about combatting the spread offense.

Joemailman
01-28-2019, 09:51 AM
Report that Adam Schefter knew LaFleur had gotten the Packers job before LaFleur knew. https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/28/adam-schefter-knew-matt-lafleur-was-the-packers-coach-before-matt-lafleur/

Appearing on HBO’s “Real Sports” on Jan. 15, Schefter told the story of when he called LaFleur to confirm his scoop, and it caught LaFleur by surprise. In fact, it was all news to LaFleur.

“Basically called the Packers head coach, Matt LaFleur the day he was hired. And I said, ‘Matt– just wanted to confirm you’re taking the Green Bay Packers head coaching job?’ And he said, ‘I don’t know what you’re talking about.” Schefter explained. “I said, ‘Have you gotten a call yet that you’ve been eliminated?’ And he said, ‘No.’ And I said, ‘Well, they’ve called everybody else and eliminated them. Congratulations. You’re the head coach of the Green Bay Packers.’”

pbmax
01-28-2019, 10:04 AM
Report that Adam Schefter knew LaFleur had gotten the Packers job before LaFleur knew. https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/28/adam-schefter-knew-matt-lafleur-was-the-packers-coach-before-matt-lafleur/

You see, that is just backward. Not that Schefter worked it out in a process of elimination, but that the Packers called everyone else EXCEPT the candidate himself. You do these things at the same time and you let the candidate know that between this call and 7 PM EST when a press release will go out, during which time you will also be calling all the other candidates.

Smidgeon
01-28-2019, 10:41 AM
You see, that is just backward. Not that Schefter worked it out in a process of elimination, but that the Packers called everyone else EXCEPT the candidate himself. You do these things at the same time and you let the candidate know that between this call and 7 PM EST when a press release will go out, during which time you will also be calling all the other candidates.

Or M4 knows how to play poker and not tell a national reporter that he knows something that hasn't been announced yet. Not ready to pencil this under "organizational incompetence" on the word of Schefter alone.

pbmax
01-28-2019, 02:10 PM
Or M4 knows how to play poker and not tell a national reporter that he knows something that hasn't been announced yet. Not ready to pencil this under "organizational incompetence" on the word of Schefter alone.

Could be. He might be skilled enough to know how you could get backed into a confirmation, which is what Schefter was doing.

But I could see someone being TOO by the book and calling all the other candidates first.

Something does seem off though, at that point, don't they need to negotiate a salary and contract?

pbmax
01-28-2019, 11:20 PM
Aaron Wilson
Texans assistant Wes Welker interviews with Packers, 49ers, source confirms

Can you teach grit?

Smidgeon
01-29-2019, 08:03 AM
Aaron Wilson
Texans assistant Wes Welker interviews with Packers, 49ers, source confirms

Can you teach grit?

How about route running, timing, and anticipating an excellent quarterback?

pbmax
01-29-2019, 09:04 AM
How about route running, timing, and anticipating an excellent quarterback?

All good. Speed and quickness would be better.

pbmax
01-29-2019, 09:52 AM
The Athletic CFB @TheAthleticCFB
BREAKING: North Texas OC Graham Harrell has just accepted the OC job at #USC, per our @BruceFeldmanCFB.

the Athletic: https://t.co/Vn2FBFAFkm

I kinda like his background. Air Raid, pro career (Canada and NFL), coached at smaller program in college.

Smidgeon
01-29-2019, 11:00 AM
The Athletic CFB @TheAthleticCFB
BREAKING: North Texas OC Graham Harrell has just accepted the OC job at #USC, per our @BruceFeldmanCFB.

the Athletic: https://t.co/Vn2FBFAFkm

I kinda like his background. Air Raid, pro career (Canada and NFL), coached at smaller program in college.

And apparently accepting the OC position at USC is a fast track to head coaching in the NFL these days. An undeserved one, but sure.

Fosco33
01-29-2019, 06:17 PM

Official as of this afternoon

pbmax
01-29-2019, 06:23 PM
Official as of this afternoon

Yep and he is officially the QB coach.

Pugger
01-30-2019, 04:55 AM
Yep and he is officially the QB coach.

Okay, good. I think he and Rodgers had a good working relationship in the past.

So, how many assistant openings do we still need to fill besides ST?

Joemailman
01-30-2019, 06:54 AM
Packers hiring Alvis Whitted as WR coach.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/30/report-packers-hiring-colorado-states-alvis-whitted-for-wrs-coach-job/

According to Tom Silverstein of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, the Packers are “expected to hire” Colorado State receivers coach Alvis Whitted, who played nine seasons in the NFL and has coached in college since 2011.

A seventh-round pick of Tom Coughlin and the Jacksonville Jaguars in 1998, Whitted caught 74 passes for 1,030 yards and six touchdowns, returned 21 kickoffs and recorded 20 special teams tackles over 123 NFL games.

After beginning his coaching career at the high school and Division III level, Whitted spent time at Appalachian State and UCLA before landing as the receivers coach at Colorado State, a position he’s held since 2012.

Over his seven seasons with the Rams, Whitted helped develop Rashad Higgins (fifth-round pick, Cleveland Browns) and Michael Gallup (third-round pick Dallas Cowboys), two Biletnikoff award finalists.

Joemailman
01-30-2019, 07:00 AM
Shawn Mennenga favorite was Packers ST job?

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/30/shawn-mennenga-interviews-with-packers/

Shawn Mennenga has emerged as the favorite to replace Ron Zook as the Packers’ special teams coach, Tom Silverstein of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reports.

Mennenga currently serves as the special teams coach at Vanderbilt.

He was the assistant special teams coach for the Browns for seven seasons, including in 2014-15 when Mike Pettine was the head coach in Cleveland. Pettine now works as the defensive coordinator in Green Bay.

Mennenga has coached since 1994, working his way through the college ranks before landing with the Browns. He was South Dakota State’s linebackers coach in 2009-10.

Perhaps Pettine having some influence on hiring of coaches.

pbmax
01-30-2019, 08:09 AM

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/30/shawn-mennenga-interviews-with-packers/

Pettine also got one of his ex guys on defense, didn't he?

Joemailman
01-30-2019, 08:11 AM
Pettine also got one of his ex guys on defense, didn't he?

Yes. OLB coach Mike Smith.

pbmax
01-30-2019, 08:54 AM
Yes. OLB coach Mike Smith.

I just sense a steep learning curve with this staff. I am glad LaFleur is working closely with Pettine, but I get the sense he was a half step from ready for this.

The good side is that McCarthy and Sherman basically followed the same path. If you don't hire a retread, you don't get all the retread's cronies.

Joemailman
01-30-2019, 09:43 AM
I just sense a steep learning curve with this staff. I am glad LaFleur is working closely with Pettine, but I get the sense he was a half step from ready for this.

The good side is that McCarthy and Sherman basically followed the same path. If you don't hire a retread, you don't get all the retread's cronies.

I'd be more concerned if the OC and DC were first time coordinators.

There are some similarities between this and MM's first year. New HC a bit of a surprise pick who was an OC with mediocre results the year before. Both coaches retaining the DC from year before. Difference is I think Hackett is more ready than Jagodzinski was to be Packers OC. Actually, my recollection is that Jags was a glorified OL coach in 2006 as Packers were making switch to zone blocking. MM was really the guy installing the new offense. Also, that 2006 team had 2, sometimes 3 rookies starting on the OL, and a rookie WR starting. So I think Rodgers has a better chance to have a bounce back year in 2019 than Favre did in 2006.

Still, there could be some growing pains. Both Sherman and McCarthy had 3-5 records in the 1st half of their 1st season before rebounding to 9-7 and 8-8 respectively. Can't rule that kind of scenario out in 2019.

pbmax
01-30-2019, 10:15 AM
I'd be more concerned if the OC and DC were first time coordinators.

There are some similarities between this and MM's first year. New HC a bit of a surprise pick who was an OC with mediocre results the year before. Both coaches retaining the DC from year before. Difference is I think Hackett is more ready than Jagodzinski was to be Packers OC. Actually, my recollection is that Jags was a glorified OL coach in 2006 as Packers were making switch to zone blocking. MM was really the guy installing the new offense. Also, that 2006 team had 2, sometimes 3 rookies starting on the OL, and a rookie WR starting. So I think Rodgers has a better chance to have a bounce back year in 2019 than Favre did in 2006.

Still, there could be some growing pains. Both Sherman and McCarthy had 3-5 records in the 1st half of their 1st season before rebounding to 9-7 and 8-8 respectively. Can't rule that kind of scenario out in 2019.

Agree that Hackett is a step ahead of Jags, who is apparently no longer at Georgia State even. And I like Pettine more than Sanders. Its just that without getting your first choices, its going to take some time to gel, especially on offense.

pbmax
01-30-2019, 12:57 PM

Silverstein with a couple of notes:

1. Mennenga coached in Cleveland under Chris Tabor (with Bears now) who was trained by Dave Toub.
2. Mennenga also worked with Shanny Jr. when he was the OC for Cleveland for Pettine.

https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2019/01/29/packers-eyeing-vanderbilt-special-teams-coach-shawn-mennenga/2711911002/

pbmax
01-30-2019, 01:01 PM
Same Silverstein story on Darren Rizzi:

The Packers tried to hire highly respected Miami Dolphins special teams coach Darren Rizzi, but even though they were able to get him to make a visit they didn’t blow him away with their offer. Rizzi would have been working with a coach he didn’t know and moving his family to a cold-weather city.

Rizzi and LaFleur hit it off, the source said, but Rizzi left town without the offer he thought was forthcoming. Although the Packers met his number several days later, the source said, he decided to pull himself out of the running. He is expected to land with another NFL team.

Seems like someone screwed this one up.

denverYooper
01-30-2019, 01:07 PM
All good. Speed and quickness would be better.

Does deceptive speed count?

pbmax
01-30-2019, 01:23 PM
Does deceptive speed count?

It does if you are the son of a coach. But now I wonder if concussions are contagious?

pbmax
01-30-2019, 02:37 PM
Alvis Whitted is now the WR coach.

Packers: https://t.co/PAPsC4J4o0

Bretsky
01-30-2019, 02:56 PM
Same Silverstein story on Darren Rizzi:

Rizzi and LaFleur hit it off, the source said, but Rizzi left town without the offer he thought was forthcoming. Although the Packers met his number several days later, the source said, he decided to pull himself out of the running. He is expected to land with another NFL team.

Seems like someone screwed this one up.

SERIOUS F'CK UP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Who holds accountabioity……………….Jerry Jones.....aka MARCIA MARCIA MARCIA

Bretsky
01-30-2019, 02:59 PM
Alvis Whitted is now the WR coach.

Packers: https://t.co/PAPsC4J4o0

Well at least he coached WR's in college

pbmax
01-30-2019, 04:24 PM
With the #Packers officially announcing the hiring of WRs coach Alvis Whitted, coach Mike LaFleur's offensive staff is pretty set. A few position assts are still to be added:

OFFENSE

OC - Nathaniel Hackett
QB - Luke Getsy,
RB - Ben Sirmans
OL - Adam Stenavich
TEs - Justin Outten

DEFENSE

Coordinator – Mike Pettine
Def. line – Jerry Montgomery
Inside LBs – Kirk Olivadotti
Outside LBs – Mike Smith
Defensive backs – Jason Simmons

Special teams
Coordinator – Shawn Mennenga*

call_me_ishmael
01-30-2019, 04:56 PM
I will happily eat my crow if I'm wrong but I feel like they royally screwed this whole coaching search up. LaFleur is fine but the assistants seem a little bit second rate to me, at least based on their bios. Maybe that's a good thing. I do prefer young coaches in general as they're more relatable.

That said, I'm not too concerned because I think more than anything this team just needed a fresh start and some new juice. They'll get some new players this off-season and they of course have the fresh start with the new coaching staff. I suspect they'll be back in the thick of things next year since they have a lot of talent offensively - allegedly anyway.

Teamcheez1
01-30-2019, 06:11 PM
SERIOUS F'CK UP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Who holds accountabioity……………….Jerry Jones.....aka MARCIA MARCIA MARCIA

Rizzi is such a hot prospect that no teams have scooped him up yet. No story here.

Bretsky
01-30-2019, 09:40 PM
Rizzi is such a hot prospect that no teams have scooped him up yet. No story here.

Completely Disagree

He's have a job if he wanted one\

Hands down the top qualified ST coach and most are reporting he could choose his job
GB Marcia'd out on the initial Offer and let him leave and then pretty much admitted their wrong but it was too late.

Whoever they hire won't be nearly as qualified.

pbmax
01-31-2019, 08:57 AM
I am with Bretsky on this one. Kinda steamed about this one. Maybe there were good reasons to hesitate; maybe the new HC wanted to avoid the trap of hiring your first interview. I understand that. Maybe the guy is unquestionably the most qualified but he's also a Grade A schmuck.

But the entire concept of ST inside the Packer org needs a look. They sometimes piece together good and great defenses. But they do not piece together good and great ST.

Someone like Rizzi could help that evaluation. They also need to rethink this in personnel.

It's no guarantee he was the right guy, but I want to see the explanation for it. Not that I actually expect one.

That said Mennenga seems qualified and I like that kind of hire here rather than an Assistant ST coach promotion.

pbmax
01-31-2019, 09:08 AM
Nice breakdown of Davante Adams thoughts on LaFleur's offense. Packers Wire at USAToday's website is very good at small stories developed from stray player conversations. Joe highlighted Bach's ESPN interview about the player's attitude in the McCarthy thread. Pretty good stuff.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/28/packers-wr-davante-adams-is-digging-matt-lafleurs-plan-on-offense/?utm_source=packerswire&utm_medium=recirc&utm_campaign=rail-most-popular

Adams also said different route combinations, including more crossing patterns, will be a staple of the new Packers offense. The Rams make a killing off crossing routes, especially when they’re paired with playaction fakes – which helps open up passing lanes in the middle of the field.

Adams is also excited about LaFleur’s plan to get him the ball in new ways, even after he just finished a Pro Bowl season with 111 catches, 1,386 yards and 13 touchdowns, all career highs.

“And moving me around, to get me different ways to get touches too is going to be big — moving me inside, outside, just different opportunities, putting me in spots where I can really maximize my potential,” Adams explained.

Joemailman
01-31-2019, 09:15 AM
Nice breakdown of Davante Adams thoughts on LaFleur's offense. Packers Wire at USAToday's website is very good at small stories developed from stray player conversations. Joe highlighted Bach's ESPN interview about the player's attitude in the McCarthy thread. Pretty good stuff.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/28/packers-wr-davante-adams-is-digging-matt-lafleurs-plan-on-offense/?utm_source=packerswire&utm_medium=recirc&utm_campaign=rail-most-popular

Adams also said different route combinations, including more crossing patterns, will be a staple of the new Packers offense. The Rams make a killing off crossing routes, especially when they’re paired with playaction fakes – which helps open up passing lanes in the middle of the field.

Adams is also excited about LaFleur’s plan to get him the ball in new ways, even after he just finished a Pro Bowl season with 111 catches, 1,386 yards and 13 touchdowns, all career highs.

“And moving me around, to get me different ways to get touches too is going to be big — moving me inside, outside, just different opportunities, putting me in spots where I can really maximize my potential,” Adams explained.

What Adams is saying sounds to me a lot like what Rodgers was saying should have been happening in the Buffalo game:

“We need to find ways to get our playmakers in position to get some more opportunities. Davante [Adams] is a tough cover for anybody. But he should’ve had 20 targets today. They couldn’t stop him. And they dared to play one-high a few times. So we’ve got to find ways to get him involved and Jimmy [Graham] as well.”