PDA

View Full Version : WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS ABOUT CODY PARKEY'S DOUBEDOINK TO SEND THE BEARS HOME ?

Bretsky
01-08-2019, 07:21 PM
So what was your reaction ??

mraynrand
01-08-2019, 07:21 PM
ecstatic

Pugger
01-08-2019, 07:27 PM
Evidently the Eagles partially blocked the kick so it wasn't just a miss by Parkey.

pbmax
01-08-2019, 07:38 PM
It was the Eagles celebrating, so my reaction was mixed. I was hoping for some stadium emergency to clear the field.

Bretsky
01-08-2019, 07:43 PM
Anybody hear the interview with Rex Ryan completely going off on Parkey the kicker ?

pbmax
01-08-2019, 07:50 PM
Anybody hear the interview with Rex Ryan completely going off on Parkey the kicker ?

I saw clips. Its pretty bog standard coach complaints about the weird, idiot kicker. Very Parcells like.

texaspackerbacker
01-08-2019, 07:56 PM
Mostly I couldn't care less. You can't really say the Bears are down, just experiencing some residual suckage.

As I posted earlier, I actually wanted the Bears to win that game so the Cowboys - my team now that the Packers are out - could play the Saints instead of the Rams, as I see the Rams as the better team of those two.

Joemailman
01-08-2019, 08:03 PM
Bears losing is always good. What I really like is that the missed field goal is causing everybody in Chicago to lose sight of why they really lost the game: Their offense could produce only 1 TD. 1 TD in the NFL is usually not enough. Trubisky might just be mediocre enough to prevent the Bears from becoming dominant.

woodbuck27
01-08-2019, 08:26 PM
Evidently the Eagles partially blocked the kick so it wasn't just a miss by Parkey.

Yup it is officially a blocked kick.

woodbuck27
01-08-2019, 08:28 PM
Bears losing is always good. What I really like is that the missed field goal is causing everybody in Chicago to lose sight of why they really lost the game: Their offense could produce only 1 TD. 1 TD in the NFL is usually not enough. Trubisky might just be mediocre enough to prevent the Bears from becoming dominant.

That pass to Robinson to help set up the 43 yards FG attempt was a Rocket pass.

He makes our Backups look sick.

woodbuck27
01-08-2019, 08:29 PM
I saw clips. Its pretty bog standard coach complaints about the weird, idiot kicker. Very Parcells like.

Rex Ryan needs glasses.

pbmax
01-08-2019, 08:42 PM

Threatening their own kicker was a nice touch too

hoosier
01-08-2019, 08:43 PM

Good point, and glad to see that at least one poster has priorities straight. Rand too, I suppose. PB, who should know better, allows himself to get distracted by irrelevant details. When it comes the Bears losing it doesn't matter who did it or what the implications are (Cowboys-Saints?!?!): we see it and we see that it is very good.

pbmax
01-08-2019, 08:54 PM
Good point, and glad to see that at least one poster has priorities straight. Rand too, I suppose. PB, who should know better, allows himself to get distracted by irrelevant details. When it comes the Bears losing it doesn't matter who did it or what the implications are (Cowboys-Saints?!?!): we see it and we see that it is very good.

I am a late arrival to the Bears rivalry. I lived through the torture of seeing the Steel Curtain up front with the Browns. 17 losses in a row at Three Rivers Sanatarium. The Super Bowl Shuffle Bears were a distraction for me.

First game after the SB, Bears played Browns in Chicago. First year of replay I think. On a kickoff, there was scrum and kickoff rolled either OOB or into endzone. Neither ref on scene made a call.

Had to go to booth to figure out what to do. They changed that the next week: on field has to make the call first.

pbmax
01-08-2019, 08:56 PM
The only part of Bears fandom that bugs me to the core are the subset of my own age group that thinks Doug Plank was the greatest safety of all time. Mostly he seemed a dirty player.

red
01-08-2019, 09:21 PM
loved it

loved the dead silence after the double doink

love the fact that the term double doink will live on in history, block or not

mmmdk
01-09-2019, 06:23 AM
Eagles suck too!

mraynrand
01-09-2019, 07:12 AM

Probably the most amusing aspect of the Bears is watching them select quarterbacks.

mraynrand
01-09-2019, 07:14 AM
Mostly I couldn't care less. You can't really say the Bears are down, just experiencing some residual suckage.

As I posted earlier, I actually wanted the Bears to win that game so the Cowboys - my team now that the Packers are out - could play the Saints instead of the Rams, as I see the Rams as the better team of those two.

We take it one at a time around here. First, get rid of the Bears, then get rid of Philly. And when Dallas gets punked, that's the trifecta. I hope the Cowboys die in a tire fire (figuratively).

mraynrand
01-09-2019, 07:24 AM
I am a late arrival to the Bears rivalry. I lived through the torture of seeing the Steel Curtain up front with the Browns. 17 losses in a row at Three Rivers Sanatarium. The Super Bowl Shuffle Bears were a distraction for me.

First game after the SB, Bears played Browns in Chicago. First year of replay I think. On a kickoff, there was scrum and kickoff rolled either OOB or into endzone. Neither ref on scene made a call.

Had to go to booth to figure out what to do. They changed that the next week: on field has to make the call first.

And despite constant humiliations to the Steelers, those losses don't even approach the post season debacles, mostly to Denver....

Red Right 88
The Drive
The Fumble
Clearing the Palate with a loss to Houston
The ??? (another Conference loss to Denver)

Not to mention letting the franchise leave. Not to mention running the greatest coach in NFL history out of town on a rail. Not to mention setting a record for losing humiliation.

I mean, to be a Cleveland fan is to take abuse after abuse after abuse. Nothing has been right since Jim Brown, really since Otto.

The Packers' woes don't begin to approach the galley-ship-like punishment that is the Browns. Bostick? The Browns have had entire rosters composed of ONLY Bosticks. If they ever actually win a Superbowl, most Browns fans literally will not believe it.

hoosier
01-09-2019, 07:31 AM

I concede that no fans have suffered longer or harder than Browns fans. But unless I'm missing something, their pain really doesn't include undisguised contempt for the other team and its fan base in the way that the Packer-Bear rivalry does. You may hate the Steelers or the Broncos after they ruin your season for the seventeenth consecutive year, but if it's the Steelers you still respect them and if it's the Broncos you just forget them. By contrast, nothing warms the Wisconsin heart quite like the despair of Chicago fans.

mraynrand
01-09-2019, 07:39 AM
I concede that no fans have suffered longer or harder than Browns fans. But unless I'm missing something, their pain really doesn't include undisguised contempt for the other team and its fan base in the way that the Packer-Bear rivalry does. You may hate the Steelers or the Broncos after they ruin your season for the seventeenth consecutive year, but if it's the Steelers you still respect them and if it's the Broncos you just forget them. By contrast, nothing warms the Wisconsin heart quite like the despair of Chicago fans.

There's some truth to this, but I can tell you there is serious Steeler-Browns hatred. I used to go to this bar to watch Packer games. Every Sunday the bar was mostly filled with 50-50 Browns/Steelers fans (some traitorous Browns fans gave up and became Steelers fans after the franchise left, you see. But Pittsburgh is actually quite close to Cleveland - sometimes people forget this....the fan bases do seriously overlap...). So, these fans sit there and watch their own games, but they keep an eye on the rival's game. Every time Cleveland makes a mistake/has a bad play, Steeler fans cheer and vice versa (Steelers fans cheered a lot). When it was head-to-head, the place was pandemonium, including parking lot brawls. so there is a rivalry....

pbmax
01-09-2019, 08:46 AM
And despite constant humiliations to the Steelers, those losses don't even approach the post season debacles, mostly to Denver....

Red Right 88
The Drive
The Fumble
Clearing the Palate with a loss to Houston
The ??? (another Conference loss to Denver)

Not to mention letting the franchise leave. Not to mention running the greatest coach in NFL history out of town on a rail. Not to mention setting a record for losing humiliation.

I mean, to be a Cleveland fan is to take abuse after abuse after abuse. Nothing has been right since Jim Brown, really since Otto.

The Packers' woes don't begin to approach the galley-ship-like punishment that is the Browns. Bostick? The Browns have had entire rosters composed of ONLY Bosticks. If they ever actually win a Superbowl, most Browns fans literally will not believe it.

Thanks for the memories Marquis.

Pugger
01-09-2019, 09:04 AM
We take it one at a time around here. First, get rid of the Bears, then get rid of Philly. And when Dallas gets punked, that's the trifecta. I hope the Cowboys die in a tire fire (figuratively).

I'm with ya there...

Cheesehead Craig
01-09-2019, 09:08 AM
Loved, loved, loved it.

Growing up right by the IL border, got to experience the front line of the friggin' Illinisian hatred. Wish nothing but putridness on the Bears and those that support them.

mraynrand
01-09-2019, 09:13 AM
Thanks for the memories Marquis.

hey, at least I didn't include video

mraynrand
01-09-2019, 09:17 AM
Loved, loved, loved it.

Growing up right by the IL border, got to experience the front line of the friggin' Illinisian hatred. Wish nothing but putridness on the Bears and those that support them.

I was living in Chicago when the instant replay game happened. Probably the sweetest week (well, month, really, because they beat them at Chicago later in the year too) in all my life as a Packer fan. Maybe even better than after all the playoff and Superbowl wins over the past three decades.

pbmax
01-09-2019, 09:20 AM

Hard to say as I was much younger when I lived in both areas. As Rand points out, they are close (2 hour drive basically) and the fan bases overlap quite a bit. And I bet many Steel Curtain fans probably paid a lot of attention to the Browns just for entertainment sake while the Steelers were terrible prior to 1972. The Bills being close kinda limit that though.

So from my perspective, Browns Steelers is like Packers Bears from 1984 to 1992. One sided with one front running the other and not caring. The weirder comparison is that Steeler fans from before Noll were resigned to always being second rate, I have read some sports coverage in the Pittsburgh Press Gazette from the late 1960s. There was no Super Bowl shuffle to endlessly recall. The Browns were the bullies and the Steelers were always the little sisters of the poor. Think about the Packers 2 decade drought without Lombardi or Lambeau. Hard to imagine the team being there. I don't know if I have ever seen that despair in coverage of the Bears.

You can easily draw comparisons from Green Bay to Cleveland and the Steelers. But the Bears are in too big of a city to imagine them not surviving without one or two characters in their history. They are closer to the Giants though unlike Giants fans, they don't know how to front run. Steelers fans approach Bears fans in annoyance only because of your certainty that they will eventually be proven right and be good again.

pbmax
01-09-2019, 09:21 AM
I was living in Chicago when the instant replay game happened. Probably the sweetest week (well, month, really, because they beat them at Chicago later in the year too) in all my life as a Packer fan. Maybe even better than after all the playoff and Superbowl wins over the past three decades.

You must have been fun to be with at work. :D

Cheesehead Craig
01-09-2019, 09:27 AM

I'm feeling all warm inside just thinking of that game. Man that was a good week.

mraynrand
01-09-2019, 09:31 AM
You must have been fun to be with at work. :D

Oh, I was perfectly evil. All Monday long I commiserated with my co-workers on how unjust the call was, how unfair! The Bears were being targeted by the NFL for all the McMahon antics, all the bravado, the dances, the anti-Pete Rozelle headbands, etc. etc. I agreed to it all! Secretly I reveled in their agony, but openly, loudly, I proclaimed the opposite all day! The NFL is corrupt, the officials were paid off, Dan Fouts was a pawn of ACME conglomerates! I maintained this fiction to the last second of the day, when, upon entering the elevator, as the doors closed, I said "No matter what you believe, no matter what actually happened, this game will ALWAYS and forever, until the end of time itself, count as a WIN for GREEN BAY and LOSS for Chicago." People claimed they could hear me laughing 8 floors away.

Bossman641
01-09-2019, 10:01 AM
Absolutely loved it. Spent my entire life in IL before moving to TX 4 years ago. The 2010 SB run...beating the bears in week 17 to get in the playoffs and then in Chicago in the NFCCG was about the best month of my life.

hoosier
01-09-2019, 10:01 AM
Hard to say as I was much younger when I lived in both areas. As Rand points out, they are close (2 hour drive basically) and the fan bases overlap quite a bit. And I bet many Steel Curtain fans probably paid a lot of attention to the Browns just for entertainment sake while the Steelers were terrible prior to 1972. The Bills being close kinda limit that though.

So from my perspective, Browns Steelers is like Packers Bears from 1984 to 1992. One sided with one front running the other and not caring. The weirder comparison is that Steeler fans from before Noll were resigned to always being second rate, I have read some sports coverage in the Pittsburgh Press Gazette from the late 1960s. There was no Super Bowl shuffle to endlessly recall. The Browns were the bullies and the Steelers were always the little sisters of the poor. Think about the Packers 2 decade drought without Lombardi or Lambeau. Hard to imagine the team being there. I don't know if I have ever seen that despair in coverage of the Bears.

You can easily draw comparisons from Green Bay to Cleveland and the Steelers. But the Bears are in too big of a city to imagine them not surviving without one or two characters in their history. They are closer to the Giants though unlike Giants fans, they don't know how to front run. Steelers fans approach Bears fans in annoyance only because of your certainty that they will eventually be proven right and be good again.

Yeah, the 80s comparison makes sense. Maybe the unmitigated contempt is really only visible to those who live it, because I just can't fathom what it would take to muster up true disdain for the Steelers and their fans. They may be annoying but they're not borderline subhuman. My impressions, however, are based on driving through rural Pennsylvania and one too many viewings of The Deer Hunter, so maybe my perspective is skewed.

mraynrand
01-09-2019, 10:25 AM
Absolutely loved it. Spent my entire life in IL before moving to TX 4 years ago. The 2010 SB run...beating the bears in week 17 to get in the playoffs and then in Chicago in the NFCCG was about the best month of my life.

I'd since moved away, but I still see that NFCC game as one of, if not the most important win in Packer history. I'm old school - that was the only time Green Bay and Chicago played in what was essentially the NFL championship. Packers had to have that game.

mraynrand
01-09-2019, 10:27 AM
Yeah, the 80s comparison makes sense. Maybe the unmitigated contempt is really only visible to those who live it, because I just can't fathom what it would take to muster up true disdain for the Steelers and their fans. They may be annoying but they're not borderline subhuman. My impressions, however, are based on driving through rural Pennsylvania and one too many viewings of The Deer Hunter, so maybe my perspective is skewed.

I know a lot of them. They are good people. Some of the fans at the bar were subhuman, to be sure.

Fritz
01-09-2019, 11:05 AM
There is no humiliation like being a Lions fan.

Those poor bastards.

NOT!

pbmax
01-09-2019, 11:06 AM

The rural areas are still there but Pittsburgh isn’t steel manfacturing anymore. It’s one giant beautiful suburb with gorgeous hills. It’s really a neat city.

It’s easy to develop contempt for their fans but it’s oddly not reciprocated in the same way. They expect such good things they are always more mad at the team. A group of them at the bar won’t bother you like a Bear fan would but they will be louder in unison.

The one thing you could latch onto is maybe the player blaming. I have no doubt that Bell and Brown are turncoats who are letting Ben down.

mraynrand
01-09-2019, 12:07 PM
Steeler fan hates NE far more than Cleveland rn. That will change in short order.

gbgary
01-09-2019, 12:25 PM
i was hoping for a miss. LOL at first but then, for a second, felt sorry for the guy. then learned it was partially blocked. LOL again.

George Cumby
01-09-2019, 03:32 PM
I seem to be in the minority in that I hate the Vikings much more than the Bears.

mraynrand
01-09-2019, 03:35 PM
I seem to be in the minority in that I hate the Vikings much more than the Bears.

Former Chief Inspector Dreyfus, when asked "How much do you hate Clouseau?" answered "How high is up? I hate every molecule in his body." That's how I feel about Chicago. But that doesn't mean I can't feel the same way about the Vikings. That's what makes sports fun!

texaspackerbacker
01-10-2019, 12:46 PM
I can't believe, I'm the only one who "couldn't care less"? I didn't mean to imply a lack of hate for the Bears, just that the Bears aren't really "down" - after having their best season in quite a while and having some good young talent. Anyway, they'll always suck and usually find a way to lose.

mraynrand
01-10-2019, 01:28 PM
I can't believe, I'm the only one who "couldn't care less"? I didn't mean to imply a lack of hate for the Bears, just that the Bears aren't really "down" - after having their best season in quite a while and having some good young talent. Anyway, they'll always suck and usually find a way to lose.

I hope your Cowboys lose by sixty touchdowns

pbmax
01-10-2019, 09:21 PM
I hope your Cowboys lose by sixty touchdowns

It takes an odd combination of factors (usually starting with trying to hurt the Steelers) for me to root for the Cowboys. And that was before i rooted for GB.

:D

texaspackerbacker
01-11-2019, 11:46 AM
I didn't start to like the Cowboys because I moved (thanks to the army) to Texas. It goes back to the war (or damn near) between the AFL and NFL. The showcase - Lamar Hunt-owned - AFL team was the Dallas Texans, and the NFL had put their brand new franchise, the Cowboys, in Dallas also. I don't remember the details, but I think the NFL might have been a little more generous, talent-wise to the Cowboys than most expansion teams. Anyway, being a teenager in Wisconsin, I HATED the AFL, so I rooted for the Cowboys to annihilate the Dallas Texans. They, of course, did - exiling them to Kansas City where they became the Chiefs.