PDA

View Full Version : AJ Hawk & Marcedes Lewis or Vernon Davis & Thomas Ho

Partial
04-16-2006, 11:27 AM
What would you rather have in this hypothetical situation?

AJ Hawk, the by far and away by leaps and bounds best LB prospect to enter the league since Lavar Arrington, and Lewis, who is snipping at the heals of Vernon Davis because he has better size, is a better receiver, and runs a 4.4-4.5 and is the center of UCLA's offense.

rec yards ave long td
58 741 12.8 40 10

-or-

Vernon Davis, an undersized prospect notorious for taking plays off and refusing to block who is being extremely overhyped for his 40 time.

rec yards ave long td
51 871 17.1 73 6

I think is should also be noted Davis is in one of the worst football conferences and should have much more dominating stats.

(Lewis is in one of the best football conferences there is and played much better, more advanced defenses.)

and Thomas Howard, who has equivalent speed to AJ Hawk, but doesn't move laterally as well, or play with an 1/8th of the instinct or leadership that Hawk does?

I don't know about you, but I'd prefer Hawk and Lewis

ND72
04-16-2006, 11:29 AM
i don't see us even drafting a TE. Ted Thompson, MM, and the OL coach are all very supportive of Bubba Franks, and the TE's coach loves Donald Lee...so i just don't see it at all happening.

Partial
04-16-2006, 11:32 AM
I was just looking at the best available prospects that should be available at 31 and 5 if the Packers did land the trade with the Seahawks.

I must confess I had the motive of simply bashing Vernon Davis and to show that he is not gods gift to the packers. He is a good tight end, but so is Lewis who is equally gifted physically and put up slightly more impressive numbers against better teams.

ND72
04-16-2006, 11:33 AM
yes Lewis is, Byrd from USC is described as a "WR in a TE's body" as well. i think Vernon is a very gifted athlete, but i don't think he's goign to be exactly what people think. He probably will be his rookie year much like Jeremy Shockey, but then NFL defenses adjust, and Shockey hasn't been as productive since.

Partial
04-16-2006, 11:47 AM
Precisely.

People are orgasming over a 40-time. Whoopdie doo! For a 10 million dollar check give me 4 months and I will run an excessively fast 40 and the fact he through one 160 lb cornerback off of him in that highlight film.

More like boregasm to me.

If Davis is a #1 prospect, then Lewis is a #1.1 prospect. He has better size, equally dominant speed, and is a better blocker and receiver.

Harlan Huckleby
04-16-2006, 11:51 AM
I was just looking at the best available prospects that should be available at 31 and 5 if the Packers did land the trade with the Seahawks.

I guess nothing wrong with counting a few unhatched chickens.

ND72
04-16-2006, 11:52 AM
gotta have something to talk about during the slow days til the draft Harlan :wink:

Deputy Nutz
04-16-2006, 09:48 PM
At the Combine Lewis ran a 4.8. That ain't equal to no 4.38 that Davis ran.

Harlan Huckleby
04-16-2006, 10:00 PM
your right, nutz, it's bigger.

RashanGary
04-16-2006, 10:09 PM
Lewis is nothing like Davis.....

People see TE and they assume Davis is a TE like others who have played the game. Vernon Davis is one of a kind and it is not fair to other TE's to compare him to them and its not fair for Davis to title him one. He's the most explosive pass catcher in the last 3-5 drafts.

b bulldog
04-16-2006, 10:18 PM
On paper you are correct but Jonathen Vilma is a stud and hopefully Hawk can be as good.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-16-2006, 10:20 PM
Here's what the good GM would do with the #5 pick, draft Michael Huff and if a TE is needed, draft the Wisconsin guy, Owen Daniels in the later rounds.

Of course, the GM we have isnt any good so anything can happen.

RashanGary
04-16-2006, 10:25 PM
Thompson believes in the taking the best player available. Based on the game tape I've watched I believe Vernon Davis is the better player. I truely believe Thompson will draft Vernon Davis if Mario is gone.

Partial
04-16-2006, 10:28 PM
And Brian Calhoun ran a 4.7 at the combine.

Calhoun is faster than Davis, and Lewis is as fast as Davis. Easily.

Deputy Nutz
04-16-2006, 10:30 PM
Watch a lot of Maryland games do you?

I like Davis, and I wouldn't be all that disappointed if the Packers selected him, if the Packers are actually serious about going after Arrington.

I still think that the Packers need to go defense.

Deputy Nutz
04-16-2006, 10:33 PM
And Brian Calhoun ran a 4.7 at the combine.

Calhoun is faster than Davis, and Lewis is as fast as Davis. Easily.

But is Calhoun Faster than Lewis?

Calhoun ran a 4.6 not a 4.7 and he also tweaked his Achilles before the run. Did Lewis run again?

I said a couple of days ago that Lewis was fighting for the #1 tight end spot based on his play alone at UCLA and then the combine happened. I trust the play on the field more then some numbers, but I don't discount them either.

Partial
04-16-2006, 10:43 PM
I am all for watching games, and stats don't lie.

Lewis put up great numbers.
so did davis.

Davis is a workout warrior. So is kenny peterson. As we all know it got him real far..

anywho, I think they're both pretty equal. I don't think Davis will turn out to be worthy of a top 10 pick when all is said and done. He'll be a todd heap clone.