PDA

View Full Version : Antonio brown?

red
01-13-2019, 11:28 AM
CBS just mentioned in the pregame show that the Steelers are gonna trade the best WR in the game. They want a first (so they probably won’t get that)

They also mentioned that “some people” think the packers are one of the teams that would be interested

I’d throw our late first rounder at him in a heartbeat, even if he is up there in age

Adams and brown= a very happy a rod, and an almost unstoppable passing game. Give brown all cobbs money and some of grahams

Joemailman
01-13-2019, 11:40 AM
I'd want to know what the deal was there at the end of the year that led to him not playing the last game when the Steelers were still in playoff contention. You need to consider the question of why the Steelers want to trade him.

red
01-13-2019, 11:48 AM
Yeah, that’s a huge question mark with him. Can he be a team player, or is he gonna be a guy that plays when he wants?

But the same questions were asked of moss

texaspackerbacker
01-13-2019, 11:54 AM
Hell No! If this was a free agent signing, it would make very little sense. A trade makes no sense at all. Pay an attitude problem a ton of money when we do NOT need another WR - yeah right.

Anti-Polar Bear
01-13-2019, 12:21 PM
Hell No! If this was a free agent signing, it would make very little sense. A trade makes no sense at all. Pay an attitude problem a ton of money when we do NOT need another WR - yeah right.

As someone who shut down Darren Charles in a high school football game, I know a wanker WR when I see one. The Packers have the "Fresno Fraud" and a bunch of wankers. Look, I'm still on the MVS bandwagon, but the guy remains raw as fuck. Kum provides light in a dark realm, but he's just another guy. St. Paul is nothing special.

Fuck yeah, trade for AB. I seem to recall A-Rod having his best season ever statistically in 2011 throwing to a guy named Greg Jennings. AB is a rich man's Jennings.

Teamcheez1
01-13-2019, 12:55 PM
I'm warming up to the idea. I would pay to see AB chew AR out on the sideline for taking another sack or throwing the ball away.

red
01-13-2019, 12:55 PM

And now I’m convinced that his move would be the smartest thing this team ever did

gbgary
01-13-2019, 05:04 PM
major drama queen. high drive-into-a-ditch factor. schefter, or someone (rapoport), said it would take at least a 2 to get him in a trade. that would be out pick #44.

Rastak
01-13-2019, 05:06 PM
And now I’m convinced that his move would be the smartest thing this team ever did

lol......bravo.

gbgary
01-13-2019, 05:11 PM
As someone who shut down Darren Charles in a high school football game, I know a wanker WR when I see one. The Packers have the "Fresno Fraud" and a bunch of wankers. Look, I'm still on the MVS bandwagon, but the guy remains raw as fuck. Kum provides light in a dark realm, but he's just another guy. St. Paul is nothing special.

Fuck yeah, trade for AB. I seem to recall A-Rod having his best season ever statistically in 2011 throwing to a guy named Greg Jennings. AB is a rich man's Jennings.

I'm warming up to the idea. I would pay to see AB chew AR out on the sideline for taking another sack or throwing the ball away.

repped

Fritz
01-14-2019, 05:25 AM
I'd want to know what the deal was there at the end of the year that led to him not playing the last game when the Steelers were still in playoff contention. You need to consider the question of why the Steelers want to trade him.

I know! Trade Damarious Randall for him.

Oh, wait. Never mind. MM threw a fit LAST year, so they traded Randall for a useless third-string QB.

mraynrand
01-14-2019, 07:03 AM

Oh, wait. Never mind. MM threw a fit LAST year, so they traded Randall for a useless third-string QB.

You're losing the narrative already, and Stubby hasn't been gone for even a year. Monty was shipped due to Stubby's pique, Randall was traded because the team captains insisted on it.

mraynrand
01-14-2019, 07:05 AM
Has anyone asked the GM (Rodgers) if he's interested in Brown? BTW, FYI, Brown is actually a pretty good player.

Tony Oday
01-14-2019, 09:54 AM
Well the Steelers are really good at hiding onto high end talent this year, I mean LeVeon had a great....wait....

pbmax
01-14-2019, 10:42 AM
You're losing the narrative already, and Stubby hasn't been gone for even a year. Monty was shipped due to Stubby's pique, Randall was traded because the team captains insisted on it.

What was this story again? Was it captains or DBs who spoke up?

pbmax
01-14-2019, 10:43 AM
Well the Steelers are really good at hiding onto high end talent this year, I mean LeVeon had a great....wait....

We really are reaching late stage Bert. Soon we will know that there have been calls between Rodgers and Brown. And the shortcomings of the young ones at WR will suddenly get lots of quotes in the newspapers.

pbmax
01-14-2019, 10:44 AM

So trade Kizer for Brown. Also don't forget the training camp trade of Josh Sitton.

George Cumby
01-14-2019, 10:52 AM

I'd love to agree with you here, but then I'd be agreeing with Tank. What's a discerning PackerRat to do? I do declare!

mraynrand
01-14-2019, 10:55 AM
I'd love to agree with you here, but then I'd be agreeing with Tank. What's a discerning PackerRat to do? I do declare!

Monorail! Monorail! Monorail!

red
01-14-2019, 12:02 PM
Monorail! Monorail! Monorail!

Mono........doh!

pbmax
01-14-2019, 12:53 PM
I am going to endorse this as long as the cost isn't more than a second. Would prefer to third, mostly to stick it to the Steelers.

Packers are very short of attitude guys and decent, frustrated quotes after the game.

Plus he's not a bad sideline threat.

Fritz
01-14-2019, 01:16 PM

So it's the team captains' fault that the Packers got nothing for a starting safety?

This means it's the team captains' fault that the Packers don't have Antonio Brown.

Who are these clowns?

mraynrand
01-14-2019, 01:29 PM
So it's the team captains' fault that the Packers got nothing for a starting safety?

This means it's the team captains' fault that the Packers don't have Antonio Brown.

Who are these clowns?

Oh, you want to focus on the second part of the narrative. That part says that all the front office talent went to Cleveland and left the Packers with the scraps. That's why Monkey went to lovely Cleveland instead as well. Face it, it's over.

pbmax
01-14-2019, 01:35 PM
OK, I am going over the the Bucks board.

Someone should start a Premier League board so we can post at 4:30 in the morning about the beautiful game.

run pMc
01-15-2019, 01:02 PM
He's better than Amari Cooper, so you have to think PIT will want at least what OAK got for Cooper (R1 pick).
Brown is set to make something like $11+M next year, I don't see them trading a R1 for an uppity 32 year old WR, not with the young guys they have. MVS and ESB showed promise, G-Mo comes back, and the M4 offense might actually play to some of J'Mon's strengths.

I think they will look at Cobb on a cheap contract or someone younger/cheaper, or maybe just draft a jitterbug small-school slot receiver in R5.

red
01-15-2019, 06:32 PM
He's better than Amari Cooper, so you have to think PIT will want at least what OAK got for Cooper (R1 pick).
Brown is set to make something like $11+M next year, I don't see them trading a R1 for an uppity 32 year old WR, not with the young guys they have. MVS and ESB showed promise, G-Mo comes back, and the M4 offense might actually play to some of J'Mon's strengths.

I think they will look at Cobb on a cheap contract or someone younger/cheaper, or maybe just draft a jitterbug small-school slot receiver in R5.

why? why even bring cobb or clay back even for the minimum?

those 2 have been complete shit for years, they aren't even worth the minimum, GET RID OF THE SHIT ON THIS TEAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pbmax
01-15-2019, 08:46 PM

those 2 have been complete shit for years, they aren't even worth the minimum, GET RID OF THE SHIT ON THIS TEAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Both could contribute, especially Cobb in the new offense. But it would have to be at a discount. Veteran depth. Not veteran minimum like Jordy, but not too far above.

Might be harder with Matthews because he can still move and someone will convince themselves that he can still rush the passer.

KYPack
01-15-2019, 09:02 PM

I'm at those same crossroads.

I support brother Red and his think outside the bottle suggestion that the GBP make some bold moves.

One of the problems in doing that is who is gonna fashion said bold moves?

Our new child coach?

Mark "megalomaniac" Murphy?

Or Goot, who's big FA acquisition was Jimmy Graham crackers?

No, I've lost a lot of faith in these question mark fellows. Who can lead us out of our wasteland?

Let's hire Joe Lombardi and have him lead the NFL's first Spirit Squad.

Something, anything.

red
01-15-2019, 09:40 PM
Both could contribute, especially Cobb in the new offense. But it would have to be at a discount. Veteran depth. Not veteran minimum like Jordy, but not too far above.

Might be harder with Matthews because he can still move and someone will convince themselves that he can still rush the passer.

by keeping both players you have prevented yourself from moving on

if cobb was gone would we have kept the better option in jordy last season? or invest some higher draft picks at WR before the last draft?

if we got rid of clay, would we actually try and draft a OLB in one of the first 2 rounds since we spent the pick on perry? or sign a free agent replacement that can show up for more then 2 or 3 games a year and then just vanish?

these guys on the team have probably prevented us from finding something better. "we have a #2 WR in cobb and a pass rush threat in mathews. they were both once good a half a decade ago, we can focus on other areas"

red
01-15-2019, 09:41 PM
I'm at those same crossroads.

I support brother Red and his think outside the bottle suggestion that the GBP make some bold moves.

One of the problems in doing that is who is gonna fashion said bold moves?

bears made one bold move that we didn't make last year and completely energized that team

mraynrand
01-15-2019, 09:49 PM
bears made one bold move that we didn't make last year and completely energized that team

So what? They paid a lot and couldn't even win a playoff game. At home.

pbmax
01-15-2019, 10:13 PM
I need to remind myself that as bad as the offense was last year, it still wasn't as bad as the defense.

Fritz
01-16-2019, 05:05 AM
Oh, you want to focus on the second part of the narrative. That part says that all the front office talent went to Cleveland and left the Packers with the scraps. That's why Monkey went to lovely Cleveland instead as well. Face it, it's over.

I am always willing to adjust the narrative so I can pretend I was right all along.

I've got to do something about this avatar.

pbmax
01-16-2019, 08:35 AM
I am always willing to adjust the narrative so I can pretend I was right all along.

Looking back has always worked for me.

mraynrand
01-16-2019, 08:48 AM

I think your new Avatar needs to convey failure, despair, cynicism, and ultimate doom. Consult with Red.

Fritz
01-16-2019, 05:54 PM
I think your new Avatar needs to convey failure, despair, cynicism, and ultimate doom. Consult with Red.

A picture of Wist, maybe?

mraynrand
01-16-2019, 06:42 PM
A picture of Wist, maybe?

hahahahahahahaha

Bretsky
01-16-2019, 06:48 PM
I am going to endorse this as long as the cost isn't more than a second. Would prefer to third, mostly to stick it to the Steelers.

Packers are very short of attitude guys and decent, frustrated quotes after the game.

Plus he's not a bad sideline threat.

YGBFKM ?????

Normallly you are the voice of reason and you are turning Pro Diva ?

Doesn't he have 1 yr left on his contract.

PASS; spend the money on defense

Joemailman
01-16-2019, 08:37 PM

3 years left on deal. If Packers traded for him, cap hits would be about 15M, 14M and 7M.

Teamcheez1
01-16-2019, 09:13 PM
3 years left on deal. If Packers traded for him, cap hits would be about 15M, 14M and 7M.

We spent $12M+ on Cobb on the last two seasons, this seems reasonable compared to that.

pbmax
01-16-2019, 10:03 PM
YGBFKM ?????

Diva prices are up. He is pretty cheap for a diva. If there is one position on the team that can have a screw loose (or three) its OLB followed very closely by WR. He is barely more costly than Cobb right now. I grant you there is a better than even chance that his unhingedness is caused by a contract complaint, so this may prove untenable.

I am still not in favor of FA in general, I think its more prone to costly mistakes than your average draft. But this guy is coming at a discount because their QB has made his return impossible and while ESB, MVS and DJM may be very nice in the future, they probably aren't ready yet.

However, I suspect you have little to worry about. I don't think Gute wants this to be his next FA signing/trade. So Rodgers would have to push and Rodgers is at least suspected by the public of pushing M3 out, so he might not be in any hurry to publicly back a guy that seems to be a head case. Today he got in a Twitter beef with Emanuel Sanders. It was a good time.

But more importantly, M4 really seems to be from the Shanahan side of the Shanny/McVay offense, and I think that is going to mean a lot of running. You are much more likely to see a FA Guard or Tackle than AB. But still, it would be fun.

Everyone thought Wolf had lost his mind signing Andre Rison and he was hugely fun to watch run the wrong routes with Favre trying to find him. It was playing with house money. Every pass catcher is hurt for four weeks? (Freeman-forearm, Chmura-hot_tub, Brooks-mangled leg, Beebe-can only assume concussion) What to do with your Super Bowl aspirations? Sign Andre Rison and live to tell about it.

Just watch, Bach will be asking LaFleur if Antonio can speak to the team before the Super Bowl next year. :D

mraynrand
01-16-2019, 10:21 PM
Chmura was a PCL you scamp.

Rison was better than Terry Glenn, who was injured on every tackle, and polished off a possible SB season on a single creative pattern.

If you go for the FA, get a warrior. I love Brown, but maybe he's lost it.

pbmax
01-16-2019, 10:24 PM

Rison was better than Terry Glenn, who was injured on every tackle, and polished off a possible SB season on a single creative pattern.

I actually thought it was the year of plantar fasciitis?

Rison was great and they should have brought him back rather than re-sign Robert Brooks, and it pains me greatly to say that about a wonderful guy and the visionary behind the Lambeau Leap (I know Butler jumped in first, but Brooks made it a celebration).

Rison just didn't have time to learn more than a couple routes.

Fosco33
01-17-2019, 02:43 AM
Hard No

Bretsky
01-17-2019, 10:00 PM
Diva prices are up. He is pretty cheap for a diva. If there is one position on the team that can have a screw loose (or three) its OLB followed very closely by WR. He is barely more costly than Cobb right now. I grant you there is a better than even chance that his unhingedness is caused by a contract complaint, so this may prove untenable.

I am still not in favor of FA in general, I think its more prone to costly mistakes than your average draft. But this guy is coming at a discount because their QB has made his return impossible and while ESB, MVS and DJM may be very nice in the future, they probably aren't ready yet.

However, I suspect you have little to worry about. I don't think Gute wants this to be his next FA signing/trade. So Rodgers would have to push and Rodgers is at least suspected by the public of pushing M3 out, so he might not be in any hurry to publicly back a guy that seems to be a head case. Today he got in a Twitter beef with Emanuel Sanders. It was a good time.

But more importantly, M4 really seems to be from the Shanahan side of the Shanny/McVay offense, and I think that is going to mean a lot of running. You are much more likely to see a FA Guard or Tackle than AB. But still, it would be fun.

Everyone thought Wolf had lost his mind signing Andre Rison and he was hugely fun to watch run the wrong routes with Favre trying to find him. It was playing with house money. Every pass catcher is hurt for four weeks? (Freeman-forearm, Chmura-hot_tub, Brooks-mangled leg, Beebe-can only assume concussion) What to do with your Super Bowl aspirations? Sign Andre Rison and live to tell about it.

Just watch, Bach will be asking LaFleur if Antonio can speak to the team before the Super Bowl next year. :D

I would think you of all people would tell it like it is for this Diva. GB trades for him

We'll get a mad Antionio and he'll be amazing in year one

Diva comes back year two and he wants his contract rewritten. Then he's pissed Devante Adams is getting too many balls because Antonio is always open and you see him pouting on the sidelines.

Then he starts showing up late at meetings and crushed the chemistry

He may be on the books for 3 years but IMO you get one good year out of him before the Diva Explodes in year 2

pbmax
01-18-2019, 08:09 AM
I would think you of all people would tell it like it is for this Diva. GB trades for him

We'll get a mad Antionio and he'll be amazing in year one

Diva comes back year two and he wants his contract rewritten. Then he's pissed Devante Adams is getting too many balls because Antonio is always open and you see him pouting on the sidelines.

Then he starts showing up late at meetings and crushed the chemistry

He may be on the books for 3 years but IMO you get one good year out of him before the Diva Explodes in year 2

Possibly. He might be too temperamental, but Pittsburgh has a long run of pissing off its best players. I am not completely sold the he is a total head case.

The contract, if that is behind this latest stuff, would need to be ironed out. But I still think he is coming at a discount. If others are scared away, I'd bet you could get him to sign for big bucks to a one year reclamation deal. Then see how the young guy goes.

hoosier
01-18-2019, 09:36 AM

Chmura had a foot, not a knee, you neophyte. He did something to his arch against the Queens and didn't come back until the divisional.

mraynrand
01-18-2019, 09:37 AM
Chmura had a foot, not a knee, you neophyte. He did something to his arch against the Queens and didn't come back until the divisional.

Check out the game at Kansas City

pbmax
01-18-2019, 09:54 AM
Check out the game at Kansas City

I do remember him coming back in the regular season, but I still thought it was his foot.

mraynrand
01-18-2019, 10:09 AM
I do remember him coming back in the regular season, but I still thought it was his foot.

The PCL thing was at KC. That's my recollection. I'd have to dig out the VHS tape to confirm.

pbmax
01-18-2019, 10:45 AM
The PCL thing was at KC. That's my recollection. I'd have to dig out the VHS tape to confirm.

Given that year, I would not be surprised if he got sent to the bench twice for separate injuries.

mraynrand
01-18-2019, 10:51 AM
Given that year, I would not be surprised if he got sent to the bench twice for separate injuries.

I believe that is the case

3irty1
01-18-2019, 10:55 AM
I do actually consider WR a position of need. Don't think we needed a new Offensive guru or anything. Don't think MARGA is a project for anyone but Rodgers. I just think Adams is good not great, Cobb is unavailable, the young guys are young, and the the TE's are old. Brown would give Rodgers something he hasn't had since peak Greg Jennings if even then. How big of a locker room concern is he really? Certainly can't be on the order of Moss. 2nd round pick sounds worth it to me.

Fritz
01-18-2019, 01:18 PM
I dunno. I suppose you'd have to sniff out his agent to see if what Brown's issue or issues really were. Does he want to come to Green Bay? Can he live with his contract as is?

I just don't know any more!

run pMc
01-21-2019, 05:59 PM

It's a good question. To fill all the gaps in the roster, they are going to have to sign FA's -- their own or someone else's, and that costs money. With Cobb, you get dump the always hurt Trevor Davis and have him returning punts and playing the #4 WR. No way should he be in the starting lineup, but I'd use him in 3rd downs when you need some crafty old vet (at 29 ha) with chemistry with ARod. He won't get a big contract, nor should he. Honestly though, for a little bit more money I'd go after some Cole Beasley clone like Adam Humphries -- younger, no injury history, just gets open.

As for Clay, the cupboard is so bare at LB -- I'm assuming they dump Perry -- that he might stick for that reason alone. He's old, but still plays with motor, and he really should be playing a rotational role at this point (20-25 plays a game). Pass rush is going to have to be fond thru the draft, but Clay can be a depth guy and worth bringing back for a cheap-ish 1 or 2 year deal. They could always play him at ILB.

If both are gone, it won't break my heart as long as they get better replacements: if there's nobody better out there (unlikely) near their contract price points, then sign them and let them retire as Packers. Otherwise let them play for CLE or OAK.

As for Antonio Brown, I think he slows the development of the young receivers and possibly wrecks chemistry while eating up cap and draft capital. The OL and defense are more glaring needs IMO.

Bretsky
01-21-2019, 07:01 PM
Don't you think some dummy gives Cobb 4-5MIL/Year ?

Or what realistically is his price ? I would not cough that amount up.

Joemailman
01-21-2019, 07:14 PM
Don't you think some dummy gives Cobb 4-5MIL/Year ?

Or what realistically is his price ? I would not cough that amount up.

Someone will, and will probably be rewarded if he stays healthy. Cobb could be much more effective in an offense that schemes to get guys open. Cobb is still good with the ball in his hands.

Bretsky
01-21-2019, 07:32 PM
Someone will, and will probably be rewarded if he stays healthy. Cobb could be much more effective in an offense that schemes to get guys open. Cobb is still good with the ball in his hands.

IMO he's better than Montgomery but he rarely gets open w/o some HG2 scheming and I'm not overwhelmingly confident we get him that.

I'm fine seeing him go

Our offense gets better because we learn to use the RB's better iMO, especially in the passing game

Fritz
01-22-2019, 06:49 AM
I remember when MM converted Montgomery to running back. Imagine! A running back who was quick and had good hands. The wheel routes! The mismatches on linebackers! The mad scheming MM would do with this crazy new toy!

Yet, when the dust settled, MM made him a third down blocking back and part time kick returner.

Sigh.

mraynrand
01-22-2019, 07:22 AM
I remember when MM converted Montgomery to running back. Imagine! A running back who was quick and had good hands. The wheel routes! The mismatches on linebackers! The mad scheming MM would do with this crazy new toy!

Yet, when the dust settled, MM made him a third down blocking back and part time kick returner.

Sigh.

Just wait until Brady and BB get ahold of him - or Cobb.

run pMc
01-22-2019, 09:32 AM

PR would be upset - like casey heyward all over again.

Seriously, either could do damage in that offense.
I wouldn't offer Cobb $5M unless it was for 2 years. Can't stay healthy and has lost some of his giddyup. He is tough and a gamer. The upper limit for Cobb (in my head) is around 2Y/$7M plus some incentives & guarantees.

Someone creative enough to figure out how to use Ty could get some good production out of him.

Bretsky
01-22-2019, 07:09 PM

HG and HG2 don't need Cobb. Edelman is better and they have James White

red
03-08-2019, 06:24 PM
according to Rob Demovsky, the packers are not getting into the brown sweepstakes, and have never had talks with the steelers about getting him

for anyone still thinking about him

Joemailman
03-10-2019, 03:47 PM
according to Rob Demovsky, the packers are not getting into the brown sweepstakes, and have never had talks with the steelers about getting him

for anyone still thinking about him

Didn't want him. Not that he's not great, but WR isn't where the Packers need to be spending money right now. Rather have Dee Ford.

red
03-10-2019, 06:28 PM
Didn't want him. Not that he's not great, but WR isn't where the Packers need to be spending money right now. Rather have Dee Ford.

The raiders also ended up giving him more money I think. Or at least guaranteeing everything

MadtownPacker
03-10-2019, 11:54 PM
Rodgers missed his chance to replicate the Favre/moss shit! Too bad, damn close to the same stage in his career.

pbmax
03-11-2019, 12:01 AM
HG and HG2 don't need Cobb. Edelman is better and they have James White

Why did they repeatedly try to trade for him?

run pMc
03-11-2019, 11:02 AM
Why did they repeatedly try to trade for him?

Probably in case Edelman takes more supplements or whatever from Brady's nutritionist that end up on the naughty list. Plus Cobb is a smart player who can fill a few roles and probably fits the McDaniel/Brady system. But yeah, Cobb's best years are behind him and he'd be a one year rental at best I'd think.

Fritz
03-11-2019, 01:33 PM
So the Raiders trade one of the top three defensive players in the NFL, then trade for a talented but difficult wide receiver who wants a billion dollars a year, then spend a big wad of dough on a left tackle in day one of free agency?

Oakland is Cleveland west, I think. Or what Cleveland was before the Packer posse took over there.